AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Last updated: 04.06.10
Firmware update page Home Media Gallery

Caution/Warning

This FW for Home Media Gallery (HMG) was not released by Pioneer for the general public,
so please be careful.. and remember.. you do so at your own risk

Firmware was originally made to handle some minor HGM issues and iPhone, iTouch problems when Apple released version 2.2.0

Apple is now on version 3.0.

Before attempting this, please read the following links in their entirety
INCLUDING the people (names are all linked) who have attempted this:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post15636741

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post16121807

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post16105249

The update procedure pdf was courtesy of tsiju from the AVForums.

update fw courtesy of Pfeffernuss
FW Version: 3.7.32.7682

Running result poll:
(If you use this, please let us know your results, whatever the results, by posting in this thread)

Made noticable difference: Made no difference:

people reporting it screwed up their reciever:

None, so far

Users of the upgrade quotes:

"With the older firmware i was never able to properly browse and select music files from my networked pc- music-folders ( directory within HMG ) .It was never able to display the entire available music sub-folders within the selected folder. But now after the upgrade, it shows every single one available without a hitch !"

"I can now listen to my iphone 3G via the usb connection controlled by the HMG"

"Now, after updating the receiver with the latest HMG-firmware update, all is well. Not one internet-radio dropout or server disconnection at all"

" I pulled up the ipod icon in HMG and bam it started working. I saw my playlist on the phone and began to control the iphone"

"HMG update appears to have eliminated problem of dropping server for both Internet Radio and home network"

"I did the update with my MacBook (Safari won't work, need Firefox,).... I haven't played much, but the first thing I noticed is the speed. Everything runs much faster, navigating the menus and switching between stations. Also, it doesn't freeze like it happened several times with the previous firmware"

"It works great!! I have an SC-05 with the i-Touch 2.2.1. I love my SC-05 much much more now"

"I don't know why I waited so long to update, just a little nervous/lazy I guess - glad I didn't wait any longer. Why didn't Pioneer release this to the public??? It was pretty painless and well worth it!"

User who had previously upgraded the FW (see list above) and now uses with Apple version 3.0:

Fuzzy761210
Quote:

well I tried the iphone tonight with the 3.0 software and hgm update and nothing changed as far as operation. 3.0 did not effect HGM in a negative way. If anything it improved it, I noticed a slight speed boost in control of switching from song to song(this could just be me).

Nothing changed from using the "ipod CTRL" and streaming Pandora(or any audio), It still works

YMMV

scorecard

"you're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me"
Questions about the SC-07 or SC-05? start here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10382 of 17111 Old 06-11-2009, 09:17 PM

Liked: 10
Hello all,

After reading this thread, it convinced me to try the SC-05. Gotta say it's the best darn receiver I have ever owned It does "everything" perfect, sounds great (movies & music) and is beautiful to boot.

Thanks for all the info.
post #10383 of 17111 Old 06-11-2009, 09:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicguy View Post

kenshin....anything connected via HDMI is strictly a passthrough. Same goes for any signal that's already HD resolution. Those signals won't be touched, either.

For example, if you're using component connections, and the signal you're sending through those connections, is already transmitted in an HD resolution, that signal will be "passed through" in its native HD resolution.

what counts as "HD resolution" because im sure most games for the 360 aren't 1080. most are probably 720p or so and thats over the component. I have the 360 set to 1080p but like i said im sure they just get upscaled on the tv, the source is usually lower i think. will i get any kind of lag with this setup?

this still doesn't answer my question about picture quality through the HDMI. It sounds like i should be able to still use RGB full, but does the mere fact that your going through an extra connection degrade the picture in any way? I know some hdmi switchers can degrade a picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan424 View Post

As a rule, you'll be better off setting the one on your sub to 0 and let MCACC take care of it. It does a better job than most people can by ear. It's pretty tricky using the phase knob on the sub without instruments. Most people who try wind up going with either 0 or 180, and some sub manufacturers deliberately limit the options to those two. MCACC can measure and correct with greater precision.

thnx.. hmm so dont mess with the knob on the sub. If i had to actually physically mess with it or the one in the system instead of just using MCACC (if it doesn't sound right to me) what do the numbers even mean? is 90 on a side wall and 180 would be on the back wall? also when using MCACC do i have to rerun the whole thing to test the sound from the side and front, or is there a way to just configure the sub alone?

oh and one final question i must have missed when it started but i keep seeing people refer to an HMG update.. what is this? is it something i should try to get?
post #10384 of 17111 Old 06-11-2009, 10:19 PM

OK, owners, what is the scoop on the PQLS? Have any linked their SC to a suitable Pioneer blu-ray and is there a notable difference? Curious as I am on the fence whether to buy now or wait for the next model with multi-channel PQLS. What's another year when my current receiver is already ancient (6+) in technology years?
post #10385 of 17111 Old 06-12-2009, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ictusbrucks View Post

hmm I wish I understood what you were saying here How would an unused source help in programming the remote?

You know you can program the remote to control your BD player when you select BD.

You could also program it to control your projector by selecting an unused source (unless you're using them all ), then teaching the remote (after selecting the unused source and moving the selector to SOURCE not RCV) a bunch of functions for your projector, for example. I don't even know if this would work, just an idea...

Not sure how else to explain it...

Either way, ccotenj and graphicguy have an easier solution: Harmony.
post #10386 of 17111 Old 06-12-2009, 04:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshin-dono View Post

what counts as "HD resolution" because im sure most games for the 360 aren't 1080. most are probably 720p or so and thats over the component. I have the 360 set to 1080p but like i said im sure they just get upscaled on the tv, the source is usually lower i think. will i get any kind of lag with this setup?

this still doesn't answer my question about picture quality through the HDMI. It sounds like i should be able to still use RGB full, but does the mere fact that your going through an extra connection degrade the picture in any way? I know some hdmi switchers can degrade a picture

thnx.. hmm so dont mess with the knob on the sub. If i had to actually physically mess with it or the one in the system instead of just using MCACC (if it doesn't sound right to me) what do the numbers even mean? is 90 on a side wall and 180 would be on the back wall? also when using MCACC do i have to rerun the whole thing to test the sound from the side and front, or is there a way to just configure the sub alone?

oh and one final question i must have missed when it started but i keep seeing people refer to an HMG update.. what is this? is it something i should try to get?

a) no picture degradation through hdmi... i think this has been stated multiple times... there's more than a few of us who are what one would call "picky" about video, and if there were issues surrounding hdmi video, it would have been noted and dissected...

b) no, unfortunately, phase is a lot more complex than that... as macfan suggested, let mcacc deal with it... and yes, every time you move your speakers or sub you should re-run mcacc...

c) hmg update = home media gallery update... it fixes some issues people had with internet radio. if you aren't having those issues (or don't care), i would suggest you leave well enough alone and not do the update.

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #10387 of 17111 Old 06-12-2009, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by posst View Post

OK, owners, what is the scoop on the PQLS? Have any linked their SC to a suitable Pioneer blu-ray and is there a notable difference? Curious as I am on the fence whether to buy now or wait for the next model with multi-channel PQLS. What's another year when my current receiver is already ancient (6+) in technology years?

I have a BDP51 connected to my SC 05 utilizing PQLS. Is there a difference?

Yes!

A significant one?

No!

Personally, I'd be just as happy without PQLS. But, that's just me!

Given the choice to wait a few months before snagging one of the new Elites just for multi-ch PQLS, and getting one now with 2 channel PQLS, I'd get one now.

Music so high you can't get over it....music so low you can't get under it!
post #10388 of 17111 Old 06-12-2009, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What ccotenj, CHP and MacFan said!

HD resolutions are generally thought to be 720p, 1080i and 1080p.

I highly recommend getting a radio shack SPL meter to at least volume match your sub to your main speakers.

post #10389 of 17111 Old 06-12-2009, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1000 View Post

You know you can program the remote to control your BD player when you select BD.

You could also program it to control your projector by selecting an unused source (unless you're using them all ), then teaching the remote (after selecting the unused source and moving the selector to SOURCE not RCV) a bunch of functions for your projector, for example. I don't even know if this would work, just an idea...

Not sure how else to explain it...

Either way, ccotenj and graphicguy have an easier solution: Harmony.

For $50, even this remote would be better than the one that comes with the SC.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...aCjCVqHCjCdwwp

post #10390 of 17111 Old 06-12-2009, 05:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I highly recommend getting a radio shack SPL meter to at least volume match your sub to your main speakers.

+1... it can't hurt, and it would be a good "learning tool"...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #10391 of 17111 Old 06-12-2009, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1000 View Post

This is a bit long winded, but maybe if you had an unused source on your 81, you could manually program/learn the functions for that source into the Pio remote. For example, you just select BD to remote control the BD player and then select the unused source to control the projector etc.

May take a little while manually programming each of the primary functions you need. Could also be tough remembering what remote function you assigned each button.

May be worth a try..?

Thanks for the suggestion - I had thought that but - I can't really see the picture from the source and adjust it at the same time using that method
post #10392 of 17111 Old 06-12-2009, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

i would recommend you put the pio remote in a drawer and buy a harmony...

however, if you want to do it, see page 104 of the manual... it tells you how to control devices directly the way you want to...

I think you might well be right. Looks like it's time to get one of these all on one remotes (I haven't had one since the days of the Marantz/philips pronto.
post #10393 of 17111 Old 06-12-2009, 06:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yunti View Post

I think you might well be right. Looks like it's time to get one of these all on one remotes (I haven't had one since the days of the Marantz/philips pronto.

imo, it just simplifies life so much... and i'm big on simplifying life...

the harmony ui is very easy to use, and their database is relatively complete... in less than an hour, you can have it set up so that all "regular use" is covered by the harmony, and you won't need any of your other remotes for every day usage...

then, if you are like some of us, you'll be playing with it every now and then to customize it to your usage...

the other good thing is that there is an extensive "knowledge base" for it here at avs, both in this topic for specific 05/07 questions, and in the remote topics for more general questions...

go to a big box store and try out the "touch and feel" of the different models... all of them do the same thing (some do have rf, that's the only real functional difference)... make sure it's comfortable in your hand... consider your usage as well... for example, if you are a heavy dvr or dvd user, it's "better" if you pick one that has the transport buttons located near the center of the remote...

unless you are really budget strapped (and it's understandable if you are), get the "most comfortable" one of the bunch... a remote control is something you use a LOT... it may be easy to fall into the trap of "this one costs 75 dollars less and does the same thing"... but if it's not comfortable to use, you are going to regret not spending the extra money every time you pick up the remote...

good luck... we are here to help if you have questions...

- chris

post #10394 of 17111 Old 06-12-2009, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yunti View Post

Yeah....my first universal remote (aside from the ones that came with my AV gear) was one of those Marantz/Philips Pronto touch screens. Cool in their time. I actually went so far as to make custom bitmap images for the touchscreen.

Took a very long time to program. And, I never could get them to do things exactly the way I wanted them to. Same went for the Home Theater Master remotes I used for awhile.

By comparison, Harmony is easy to program....particularly with macros. Can't do any fancy bitmaps, but it does the job with little fuss.

post #10395 of 17111 Old 06-12-2009, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

...thnx.. hmm so dont mess with the knob on the sub. If i had to actually physically mess with it or the one in the system instead of just using MCACC (if it doesn't sound right to me) what do the numbers even mean? is 90 on a side wall and 180 would be on the back wall? also when using MCACC do i have to rerun the whole thing to test the sound from the side and front, or is there a way to just configure the sub alone?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

...unfortunately, phase is a lot more complex than that... as macfan suggested, let mcacc deal with it... and yes, every time you move your speakers or sub you should re-run mcacc...

As ccotenj said, phase relationships are too complicated to be determined by a "rule of thumb" formula related to where the speakers and/or sub are located in the room.

The numbers are relative. "0" means no phase shift at the speaker; the other numbers indicate the degree of shift. 180 degrees is the total opposite of 0, meaning the driver is going in when it "should" be going out.

After running MCACC, the chances that phase misalignment is the reason why "it doesn't sound right to (you)" are remote. The chances that you will only make matters worse by tinkering with phase on the sub are great. Set it at 0 on the sub and let MCACC handle it, at least until you have acquired considerably more experience (and maybe some test equipment).

Quote:

..HD resolutions are generally thought to be 720p, 1080i and 1080p...

720p, 1080i and 1080p are HD by definition.
post #10396 of 17111 Old 06-12-2009, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blimms View Post

Hello all,

After reading this thread, it convinced me to try the SC-05. Gotta say it's the best darn receiver I have ever owned It does "everything" perfect, sounds great (movies & music) and is beautiful to boot.

Thanks for all the info.

Congratulations!

Welcome to the forums and the ICE Club, Blimms!

Yeah, she's got her quirks, but definitely comes through in the sound quality department, which counts the most

You impressions and thoughts would be appreciated, but mostly, have fun!

post #10397 of 17111 Old 06-12-2009, 08:16 AM

I will also chime in and thank everyone for this thread. It really helped us make our decision!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeyron View Post

Received my SC-05 today from 6th Ave. and despite being told in a sales chat with them it would be shipped double boxed and it was not.

When I called this afternoon to ask why (and pointing out the chat transcript), I was told they probably couldn't find one. If I recall, other members here have received the same receiver from 6th Ave. in a double box.

Anyway, the outside has a few holes in the sides of the box, stubbed corners, and the tape is unsealed from the bottom sides (not the bottom itself though) I am anxious to open it and see if it fires up.

Just needed to vent to someone. Now I feel better

We got our SC-05 from 6ave yesterday and it was double-boxed. Sorry that you didn't get it that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpt View Post

Just wanted to say thank you to all on this forum, and thread. I don't know who posted it, but I made 6th ave an offer, and they accepted. I took that into my local BB and they matched it. I just got it home. I wanted to thank you all for great advice, and helping me find a GREAT deal!!! I can't wait to get this hooked up!!!!

We tried to get our local BB to match it and the best they would do (after MUCH messing around, and I still don't think the guy believed us) was $150 over 6ave's price.

So, the beast is in and hooked up. So far, so good. LOVE the sound, and the graphical setup menu is awesome compared to the old DOS-based one of our 1015.

Two issues, though. For some reason our Samsung BDP-1000 won't show the menus on regular DVDs now? Has anyone seen this problem?

The other problem we have is with the TWC DVR. We have it set up as a component input (to get the upscaling), but it will only output 1080i to our TV. Is there some way to get it to output 1080p? The connection to the TV is via HDMI, and the TV is a Samsung 67" DLP.

Also, fwiw, we tried hooking up the cable box as HDMI and really preferred the picture we got with the component connection. Plus it frees up an HDMI port for later use.
post #10398 of 17111 Old 06-12-2009, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

HockeyKat;
Congratulations! (and welcome to the ICE Club)

on your TWR...
What is the output set at?
If it's 720p or 1080i, it is already Hi-Def and the SC will not upscale it to 1080p..
if output is other then that, then it should upscale to 1080p.

Make sure your playing a standard broadcast.. then go to video parameters
page 98:
1 Set the operation selector switch to RCV, then press
VIDEO PARAMETER.
2 Use / to select the setting you want to adjust.
Depending on the current status/mode of the receiver,
certain options may not be able to be selected. Check the
table below for notes on this.
3 Use / to set it as necessary.
See the table below for the options available for each
setting.
4 Press RETURN

with the above instructions:

Make sure V.CONV is ON

Scroll to RES and select 1080p

Alternatively, just set it to AUTO:

When AUTO is selected, the resolution is selected automatically
according to the capacity of the TV (monitor) connected by HDMI.

Quote:

For some reason our Samsung BDP-1000 won't show the menus on regular DVDs now? Has anyone seen this problem?

As for the Samsung BDP-1000.. sorry, .. not quite sure if I understand..
You can see blu-ray menus but not DVD menus?
What about your BDP setup menus? Can you see them?
Can you see the DVD menus if you connect directly to your display via the same HDMI cable to your player?
What model is your Samsung DLP, HockeyKat? Is it possible you're sending a resolution it doesn't handle?

post #10399 of 17111 Old 06-12-2009, 09:19 AM

The DLP is a 67A510.

If you play a Blu-Ray disc, everything is happy and fine. If you put in a regular DVD, the screen goes blank. If you hit stop, then play, the movie itself will play, but when you try to hit any menu key you get the red circle with the line through it (which I call the fail circle). The same DVD plays fine in the DVD/VHS player/recorder which is also hooked through the receiver.

We had it connected HDMI direct to the tv before we got the SC-05, since our old 1015 didn't have HDMI, and it seemed to work just fine.

By the time we realized all of this last night it was already after midnight, so we didn't try hooking back to direct from the BDP-1000 to the TV. We might try tonight, if we have time after installing the 1015 in the upstairs loft (sigh. I love the results but the wiring is a PITA).

I wonder if we messed it up somehow in all of the hooking and unhooking??

As to the TWR, we have it set to output 1080i. So, we should set it up to output everything possible and let the SC-05 do the upscaling? I thought this receiver did upscale 1080i to 1080p but I must have been mistaken.

We tried the V CONV at everything possible, but it said something about the source not supported if we tried 1080p. The TWR is at least 3-4 yrs old.
post #10400 of 17111 Old 06-12-2009, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyKat View Post

The DLP is a 67A510.

If you play a Blu-Ray disc, everything is happy and fine. If you put in a regular DVD, the screen goes blank. If you hit stop, then play, the movie itself will play, but when you try to hit any menu key you get the red circle with the line through it (which I call the fail circle). The same DVD plays fine in the DVD/VHS player/recorder which is also hooked through the receiver.

We had it connected HDMI direct to the tv before we got the SC-05, since our old 1015 didn't have HDMI, and it seemed to work just fine.

By the time we realized all of this last night it was already after midnight, so we didn't try hooking back to direct from the BDP-1000 to the TV. We might try tonight, if we have time after installing the 1015 in the upstairs loft (sigh. I love the results but the wiring is a PITA).

I wonder if we messed it up somehow in all of the hooking and unhooking??

As to the TWR, we have it set to output 1080i. So, we should set it up to output everything possible and let the SC-05 do the upscaling? I thought this receiver did upscale 1080i to 1080p but I must have been mistaken.

We tried the V CONV at everything possible, but it said something about the source not supported if we tried 1080p. The TWR is at least 3-4 yrs old.

Couple of things, if your cable box is one of the Scientific Atlanta ones (8300?), then they only output up to 1080i. I know ESPN HD is 720p. Some of the premium channels output 1080i (HBO, Showtime, Discovery, etc). So, the SC won't touch any of those HD signals, whether you have it connected through component or HDMI.

Not that familiar with Samsung DLPs or BDPs. Had one of their BD players a couple of years ago (may have actually been the BDP 1000). It was a little quirky connected to my Sony TV and the EMOTIVA set up I had back then. I do remember there were certain functions I had a hard time getting to work. One of them was getting to the menu structures you spoke about.

post #10401 of 17111 Old 06-12-2009, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The SC-05 won't convert 1080i to 1080p...
You may want to experiment with it to see what you like best..
Scaling from your cable to the Display
Scaling from your SC-05 to the Display
No Scaling and let your Display handle everything.

Only thing I can find on your Blu-ray is
about the ICON..(page47 of your BD-P1000)
The features or action cannot be completed at this
time because:
1. The BD/DVD's software restricts it.
2. The BD/DVD's software doesn't support the feature
(e.g., angles)
3. The feature is not available at the moment.
4. You've requested a title or chapter number or
search time that is out of range.
you may want to reset your player if you're still having problems with DVD (same page) tonight, when you have time..
Sorry, I'm not much help here..

Fortunately, we have secret weapons to help.. like graphicguy!
That actually know what they're talking about.

post #10402 of 17111 Old 06-12-2009, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

On an audio OT note, 'cause it's Friday....
Those of us who have been in computers since the 70's... here's some mechanical/audio nostogia...
printers, oscilloscopes, and all sorts of contraptions from back when computers actually had moving parts.

http://sharkbait.computerworld.com/?q=node/3248

Would be cool to record that for SACD!

post #10403 of 17111 Old 06-12-2009, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHP_VR View Post

Fortunately, we have secret weapons to help.. like graphicguy!
That actually know what they're talking about.

You're all in trouble, then!

post #10404 of 17111 Old 06-12-2009, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
i wonder what the 70s were like...........

lol
post #10405 of 17111 Old 06-12-2009, 10:46 AM

Many of us who lived through and survived the 60's don't truly remember the 70's!
post #10406 of 17111 Old 06-12-2009, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post

i wonder what the 70s were like...........

lol

Mostly, a blur
Good thing we knew everything then.

post #10407 of 17111 Old 06-12-2009, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHP_VR View Post

Mostly, a blur
Good thing we knew everything then.

haha. of course!

now the 60s - that would've been an amazing time to be alive. I'll bet an 18 year old in the mid 60s had such an interesting life.
post #10408 of 17111 Old 06-12-2009, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

Yes!

A significant one?

No!

Personally, I'd be just as happy without PQLS. But, that's just me!

Given the choice to wait a few months before snagging one of the new Elites just for multi-ch PQLS, and getting one now with 2 channel PQLS, I'd get one now.

I agree.....you can't make chicken scratch, out of chicken sh**. For instance, take the upconverting of DVD analogy. You can do a lot with making the DVD picture look good but it's still a low res format compared to Blu-ray and other high definition formats.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #10409 of 17111 Old 06-12-2009, 12:04 PM

Comments in bold:

Quote:

Yes! Agree

A significant one?

No! Disagree. I can hear a difference, and considering what I was doing in the 60's and 70's if I can hear it at all it's significant

Personally, I'd be just as happy without PQLS. But, that's just me!I always use it for CD's, unless I'm feeling analogish.

Given the choice to wait a few months before snagging one of the new Elites just for multi-ch PQLS, and getting one now with 2 channel PQLS, I'd get one now. Strongly agree.

Regarding perpindicular's analogy, there was a link to an interesting article about jitter from a British magazine somewhere in here. The graphic difference in the plotted test tone waveform was very visible. To use the chicken analogy, PQLS is shoveling sh** away rather than adding it.
post #10410 of 17111 Old 06-12-2009, 01:20 PM

Thanks CHP_VR !!! Out of curiosity, do you know if this is typical of AVR's or just Pioneer? I'm definitely going to follow the links you provided but I guess I was hoping it was a setting change vs. manipulating the system.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page