post #1051 of 17113 Old 09-30-2008, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcGoo View Post

I went from a VSX-59TXi to the SC-07 with external amps from Sunfire. The SC-07 is superior in sound quality in all respects except noise floor and total power output. Since I use external amps, power output is no big deal. The only part of the SC-07's amps that I use is for the surrounds.

Noise floor is a big deal to me since 2.83 volts will output 102 decibels from my mains. The SC-07 passes the test with ease, but not as well as the 59TXi which was usually totally silent.

Bill

Bill, just curious, have you tried the 07 amps with your speakers? Is the hiss level the same? It seems like you might not need external amps with 102dB speakers and it's possible the noise floor could be lower, depending on the gain of the Sunfire. It's worth a try anyway.

Dennis H
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1052 of 17113 Old 09-30-2008, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS2JSTS View Post

welwynnick,

Thanks for the list. This thing sounds like the Denon slayer......I must say, you guys really seem to like this box. I wish my local dealer would get one in to listen too!?!

edit....I know it's been discussed before, but what is the thinking behind the power cord? My BDP-05 has a detachable cord, my cheaper Denon's do as well.....I'm not a cord/wire upgrade freak, just someone who has had to replace cords in the past for various reasons. Oddly that oversite bothers me more than the non downloadable FW upgrade path.

The cord thing did bother me as well, but I have gotten over it.

Juan

My HT
post #1053 of 17113 Old 09-30-2008, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

welwynnick, thank you for going to all that trouble! Much appreciated

"you're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me"
Questions about the SC-07 or SC-05? start here
post #1054 of 17113 Old 09-30-2008, 04:24 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fresno1232001 View Post

These reviews sure are exciting. What we have been waiting for. Just subjective reactions re how it sounds. When people compare it to great equipment and say the difference is stunning, that is helpful. BB was supposed to have the 07 in their system on 9-29-2008, but I could not find it on their website yesterday, 9-29. Maybe if one goes in and has them look in their computer it is there. They guaranteed me the 07 would never be up and playing in my Magnolia store- now that's how to sell a product! Henry Ford and Sam Walton would be proud of them.

Again, can anyone report on how FM sounds on the 07?

For devinjc: Re the great price you got on your 05 from John Marty at www.axxisdurango.com, did you get the full factory warranty buying it from them?

fresno, if you want to get the 07 from BB you can go into the store the has Magnolia and have the person order it from the system. I know they have had them for a while as I ordered one before labor day. They can ussually get them in about a week depending on the day the truck delivers to the store. I could have had it the Friday before labor day but the person that entered the order messed up and it got kicked out of the system. they reorded it for me and it came in the next week.
post #1055 of 17113 Old 09-30-2008, 04:40 PM

One thing I mentioned in my gushing review was the "accurate bass." I just wanted to add to that a bit. On the 1014, I tended to change the level of the sub going from music to movies as some types of music would lead to rather bloated bass moments. Just too clubby.

The SC-05 with the MCACC and Full band phase control has done amazing things to this problem. Daft Punk or The Chemical Brothers aren't usually something I throw in for critical listening, but after noticing some lovely drums in one song I was listening to, I figured why not.

The words clean, accurate, tight, even crisp come to mind. The notes hit and were gone, they didn't linger or shake around the room like pudding.

Now the sound is a little bright, but I'm assuming that will fade as I get used to it and everything breaks in some. If not I can always EQ it out or X-Curve it out if it becomes fatiguing.

"...almost anything most people buy sounds great in the abscence of comparison."
post #1056 of 17113 Old 09-30-2008, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by devinjc View Post

One thing I mentioned in my gushing review was the "accurate bass." I just wanted to add to that a bit. On the 1014, I tended to change the level of the sub going from music to movies as some types of music would lead to rather bloated bass moments. Just too clubby.

The SC-05 with the MCACC and Full band phase control has done amazing things to this problem. Daft Punk or The Chemical Brothers aren't usually something I throw in for critical listening, but after noticing some lovely drums in one song I was listening to, I figured why not.

The words clean, accurate, tight, even crisp come to mind. The notes hit and were gone, they didn't linger or shake around the room like pudding.

Now the sound is a little bright, but I'm assuming that will fade as I get used to it and everything breaks in some. If not I can always EQ it out or X-Curve it out if it becomes fatiguing.

Why not just do the X-Curve now? The problem isn't going away, and thats what the X-Curve does. It helped my rooms brightness by a bunch. I think I'm at -2.0 on that curve. I think it's a great feature of the SC-07.
post #1057 of 17113 Old 09-30-2008, 06:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catapult View Post

Bill, just curious, have you tried the 07 amps with your speakers? Is the hiss level the same? It seems like you might not need external amps with 102dB speakers and it's possible the noise floor could be lower, depending on the gain of the Sunfire. It's worth a try anyway.

My speakers have a minimum impedance of 2.8 ohms with a wicked phase angle. One dealer said they are the most difficult load that Klipsch has ever manufactured.

The Sunfire amp tightens the bass up to the point that I would not recommend a lesser amp even with speakers set to small and a crossover at 80 Hz.

Ultra2 receivers are allegedly good down to 3.2 ohms. I do not want to risk my speakers when Master & Commander is playing.

Bill
post #1058 of 17113 Old 09-30-2008, 07:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHN View Post

Does the 07 support apple lossless? I ran my iPod into the usb port, and it displayed what was playing, but no sound. Any way to get the 07 HMG to recognize iTunes?

since i finally got my sc-05 today and briefly looked through the manual....

no, it won't play lossless aac... only up to 320... at least from what i read...

fwiw, even without doing any setup at all yet, i'm VERY happy with my new toy... more impressions to come after i've had a chance to get things dialed in a bit...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #1059 of 17113 Old 09-30-2008, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, I tried everything tonight to try to get the OSD/volume on my Pio 5070 from the SC-05 with no success. Did everything the manual said except for connecting audio cables from the plasma to the receiver. There is a diagram in the manual on page 89 that shows RCA's and an optical cable being connected as well as the HDMI, but I would think that I would not need that to get the OSD to show up on the plasma as I only have the PS3 connected thru HDMI to the 05. Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

Juan

My HT
post #1060 of 17113 Old 09-30-2008, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

How do you get this baby to go to 6 ohms?
post #1061 of 17113 Old 09-30-2008, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcGoo View Post

My speakers have a minimum impedance of 2.8 ohms with a wicked phase angle. One dealer said they are the most difficult load that Klipsch has ever manufactured.

The Sunfire amp tightens the bass up to the point that I would not recommend a lesser amp even with speakers set to small and a crossover at 80 Hz.

Ultra2 receivers are allegedly good down to 3.2 ohms. I do not want to risk my speakers when Master & Commander is playing.

Bill

I'd still give it at try with the ICE amps. They have no problem with low impedance and reactive loads other than the power supply running out of juice. And the 'clipping' with the ICE amps is quite benign -- not gonna blow a tweeter if it clips. The old analog amp rules don't really apply. I'm not saying they will be better than your Sunfires but I'd sure do some listening and decide for myself rather than making assumptions about how well it will or will not work.

Dennis H
post #1062 of 17113 Old 09-30-2008, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO-630HD View Post

How do you get this baby to go to 6 ohms?

You don't. It will drive any speaker you hook up to it without any menu adjustments. Hook up the wires, press Play and enjoy.

Dennis H
post #1063 of 17113 Old 10-01-2008, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan View Post

Well, I tried everything tonight to try to get the OSD/volume on my Pio 5070 from the SC-05 with no success. Did everything the manual said except for connecting audio cables from the plasma to the receiver. There is a diagram in the manual on page 89 that shows RCA's and an optical cable being connected as well as the HDMI, but I would think that I would not need that to get the OSD to show up on the plasma as I only have the PS3 connected thru HDMI to the 05. Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

I assume you are using the SR+ cable to get this correct? The one thing I overlooked was pushing the SR+ button on the remote which is hidden under the sliding door on the remote. Once I pushed that it worked for me.
post #1064 of 17113 Old 10-01-2008, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patgilm View Post

I assume you are using the SR+ cable to get this correct? The one thing I overlooked was pushing the SR+ button on the remote which is hidden under the sliding door on the remote. Once I pushed that it worked for me.

Patgilm,

no, I am using HDMI, but I think I am going to order an SR+ cable and try it that way. I just don't know why it is not working thru HDMI control, maybe the PS3 is not letting it work, or maybe I have to hookup those audio cables like in the diagram on the manual, maybe my 7th gen Pioneer plasma is not compatible, who the heck knows.

Juan

My HT
post #1065 of 17113 Old 10-01-2008, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan View Post

Patgilm,

no, I am using HDMI, but I think I am going to order an SR+ cable and try it that way. I just don't know why it is not working thru HDMI control, maybe the PS3 is not letting it work, or maybe I have to hookup those audio cables like in the diagram on the manual, maybe my 7th gen Pioneer plasma is not compatible, who the heck knows.

Oh, I have an 8th gen so I'm not sure what the problem may be. If it makes you feel any better, the volume display is not close to being in sync with the receiver using HDMI control. Even with the SR+ cable, the volume display is not in sync with the receiver, it shows up similar to your Pioneer tv where the number increases as you turn up the volume (e.g. +25, etc.). However, you will get OSD for sound mode.
post #1066 of 17113 Old 10-01-2008, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patgilm View Post

Oh, I have an 8th gen so I'm not sure what the problem may be. If it makes you feel any better, the volume display is not close to being in sync with the receiver using HDMI control. Even with the SR+ cable, the volume display is not in sync with the receiver, it shows up similar to your Pioneer tv where the number increases as you turn up the volume (e.g. +25, etc.). However, you will get OSD for sound mode.

Yeah, I have read about that, but for some reason I just want to see it, at least to make sure it works.

Juan

My HT
post #1067 of 17113 Old 10-01-2008, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Juan, have you called Pioneer tech support?
I'm looking at the manual for your Plasma Jaun.. I don't see anything about the 5070 having HDMI control or Kurolink...
you may have to go to SR+ to get it to work...

post #1068 of 17113 Old 10-01-2008, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHP_VR View Post

Juan, have you called Pioneer tech support?
I'm looking at the manual for your Plasma Jaun.. I don't see anything about the 5070 having HDMI control or Kurolink...
you may have to go to SR+ to get it to work...

Thanks for looking CHP, I think I am going to try the SR+ cable, if that works that will be fine. I kind of always thought that my plasma did not have HDMI control as there is nothing in the menu. Oh well, only one more year with this plasma, waiting on the 10th gen Kuros to replace it.

Juan

My HT
post #1069 of 17113 Old 10-01-2008, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by welwynnick View Post

Hi Gandley, if you want to be persuaded about whether you should buy one of these amps, I guess you've come to the right place to be persuaded! There aren't that many user reviews for a 35 page thread, so I've collated a list of the longer ones at least. I think it's all pretty convincing. I've been thinking for some time now that this is about the only product that I would buy without hearing or seeing it first.

Thank for putting the time in there Nick. very decent of you.

I really wish i could get to hear SC 07 before purchase.

Dustin
post #1070 of 17113 Old 10-01-2008, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Found a new toy to play with

Well, new for me.. and since I haven't seen anything on the threads about it, I thought I would share.

One of my frustrations with the internet radio portion of the SC-07/05 was the VAST amount of choices and navigating through them...
Turns out Pioneer has an internet radio service for the reciever. It has over 19,000 stations and podcasts from all over the world available, plus you can add your own urls (haven't tried that part yet).

Access the special Pioneer Internet radio site from
your computer and perform the registration process.
http://www.radio-pioneer.com
Access the above site and use the access code in step 3
to perform user registration, following the instructions on
the screen.

Page 81 of the manual tells how to get your registration code from the SC-07/05 to register with the site.

Once you get the registration code you can log onto the site above and create folders that will be listed under favorites in your internet radio menu.

I created 3 groups above Jazzy group, talk and good stuff... Hey, I was playing so don't laugh; and put some stations and podcasts into them.. (all point and click operations)
Once I finished, I fired up the SC-07 and went into the HMG menu and internet radio..

under internet radio is a "Favorites" folder

the folders I created with the computer online are now on my SC-07
The individual stations are in the folders, radio stations are indicated with the music symbol and pod casts are in additional folders.
Truthfully, I'm not a big internet radio fan, but this is cool.. I can access podcasts whenever I want.. I'm amazed at the offerings, and it's so much easier browsing from your computer than with the remote..
Radio stations across the ocean may stop and rebuffer once in awhile but I didn't have any problems with the north or south american stations I tried.

Anyway, apologies if this is old hat.. but this beast keeps finding more ways to entertains me

post #1071 of 17113 Old 10-01-2008, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Filmmixer,

What's the crossover you have set for the SC-07 with the minis in your HT?

Has anyone compared these elites with the Onkyo 876 or the 906?

Thanks
post #1072 of 17113 Old 10-01-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:

Found a new toy to play with

Well, new for me.. and since I haven't seen anything on the threads about it, I thought I would share.

One of my frustrations with the internet radio portion of the SC-07/05 was the VAST amount of choices and navigating through them...
Turns out Pioneer has an internet radio service for the reciever. It has over 19,000 stations and podcasts from all over the world available, plus you can add your own urls (haven't tried that part yet).

Access the special Pioneer Internet radio site from
your computer and perform the registration process.
http://www.radio-pioneer.com
Access the above site and use the access code in step 3
to perform user registration, following the instructions on
the screen.

Page 81 of the manual tells how to get your registration code from the SC-07/05 to register with the site.

Once you get the registration code you can log onto the site above and create folders that will be listed under favorites in your internet radio menu.

I created 3 groups above Jazzy group, talk and good stuff... Hey, I was playing so don't laugh; and put some stations and podcasts into them.. (all point and click operations)
Once I finished, I fired up the SC-07 and went into the HMG menu and internet radio..

under internet radio is a "Favorites" folder

the folders I created with the computer online are now on my SC-07
The individual stations are in the folders, radio stations are indicated with the music symbol and pod casts are in additional folders.
Truthfully, I'm not a big internet radio fan, but this is cool.. I can access podcasts whenever I want.. I'm amazed at the offerings, and it's so much easier browsing from your computer than with the remote..
Radio stations across the ocean may stop and rebuffer once in awhile but I didn't have any problems with the north or south american stations I tried.

Anyway, apologies if this is old hat.. but this beast keeps finding more ways to entertains me

Yep, that is a sweet feature I have yet to play with, but would like to. I'm sure you have mentioned this, 'cause I remember this being discussed several pages back, but are you hard wired to your network or using wireless routers? I will need to bridge to my current wireless router in my office. Just haven't tackled it yet. Thanks, Blue
post #1073 of 17113 Old 10-01-2008, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueste View Post

Yep, that is a sweet feature I have yet to play with, but would like to. I'm sure you have mentioned this, 'cause I remember this being discussed several pages back, but are you hard wired to your network or using wireless routers? I will need to bridge to my current wireless router in my office. Just haven't tackled it yet. Thanks, Blue

Blue,
I'm using a couple of WAP54s one as an access point for my wireless network and another as an AP client like this to hook up all my devices (SC-07, HR-21, and PRO-110FD).. might want to follow this link and the next 5 or 6 posts that link leads to.
there's lots of different ways.. some methods will depend on what you already have.

post #1074 of 17113 Old 10-01-2008, 12:33 PM

Does the SC-05/07 allow you to access the Internet feed of Sirius or XM; therefore elliminating the need to connect an anetenna? I'm thinking that the need to download a player to your desktop will be the obstacle in this case. Anybody attempt to get this working?

Thanks.

Neil
post #1075 of 17113 Old 10-01-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoZ View Post

Why not just do the X-Curve now? The problem isn't going away, and thats what the X-Curve does. It helped my rooms brightness by a bunch. I think I'm at -2.0 on that curve. I think it's a great feature of the SC-07.

Because it might be me and not the sound. I haven't had enough time to really listen to say for sure. It was just a first impression.

In other news: Where the hell is all this bass coming from? If it wasn't for how good the bass levels are with music I'd be convinced that my sub is about 5db too hot. Played the Balrog scene from the first LOTR last night (always a popular show off scene at my house) and there was bass I'd never noticed before that was almost overpowering.

The bass sounds fine, there just seems to be so much more with the SC05. I'm assuming the phase control has corrected to some room issues... but the Sub was already pretty flat and EQ'd using 1hz increments.

Anyone else experience anything similiar?

"...almost anything most people buy sounds great in the abscence of comparison."
post #1076 of 17113 Old 10-01-2008, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

since i finally got my sc-05 today and briefly looked through the manual....

no, it won't play lossless aac... only up to 320... at least from what i read...

fwiw, even without doing any setup at all yet, i'm VERY happy with my new toy... more impressions to come after i've had a chance to get things dialed in a bit...

Congratulations, ccotenj!
Yesterday you were only "relatively" excited
Hope to hear more of your impressions!

post #1077 of 17113 Old 10-01-2008, 01:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
Quote:

Congratulations, ccotenj!
Yesterday you were only "relatively" excited
Hope to hear more of your impressions!

thanks mate...

well, i was trying to control myself...

i should at least get the mcacc run tonight... then i'll have a better feel... since the bosox don't start until 10pm eastern time tonight, i'll have some time to play and listen a bit...

something i have noticed though is what devin mentioned... although i think it's actually more mid-bass than bass (haven't watched a movie yet, just listened to a few pieces of music last night)... it will be interesting to see what happens after i eq it... fwiw, i have sierra-1's all the way around, and a paradigm servo15v2 sub using one of those anti-mode thingies... the previous avr was a pio 82txs...

one thing is for sure... there's no shortage of power there...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #1078 of 17113 Old 10-01-2008, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

07 has more power, THX Ultra Plus, Burr Brown HDMI jitter reduction, THX Loudness Plus, an extra HDMI output, and 2nd Zone component out.

For most, not worth the extra money, for some they maybe.

FilmMixer - I beleive sc-05 also has THX Loudness Plus since it is THX Select2 Plus certified.
post #1079 of 17113 Old 10-01-2008, 02:18 PM

I click on your axxisdurango.com URL and I get a slow-loading site called axxis audio instead. Any explanation for that, devinjc? It is not a confidence builder. There is something wrong with either axxisdurango or axxisaudio. The web, when it sees an unusual word like axxis takes you to any URL that contains it, if one exists. The only URL with axxis in it appears to be the one for axxis audio. What is www.axxisdurango.com about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by devinjc View Post

First Impressions:

Well the UPS man did indeed deliver the SC-05 yesterday. Setup was a breeze, and everthing worked right out of the gate.

Wow.

Oh and John Marty at www.axxisdurango.com was a breeze to deal with, great price and fast shipping.

post #1080 of 17113 Old 10-01-2008, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowlf View Post

FilmMixer - I beleive sc-05 also has THX Loudness Plus since it is THX Select2 Plus certified.

rowlf is correct:

THX Ultra2 for the SC-07, THX Select2 for the SC-05.

THX Loudness Plus is a new volume control technology featured in
THX Ultra2 Plus and THX Select2 Plus Certified receivers.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page