How/Where did you get it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 17105 Old 08-20-2008, 08:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got it about a week ago and I got it at Best Buy.
post #93 of 17105 Old 08-20-2008, 10:15 PM

I finally got all moved in and hooked up my SC-07. My config is as follows: All Boston Acoustics speakers (5.1); HS225 center, VR975 L/R channel, HS60 surrounds, HO12 sub. Albeit I have never experienced "lossless" audio before, I must say this receiver is spectacular. As soon as I got all my components hooked up, I put in the Dave Matthews/Tim Reynolds Blu-Ray via my PS3 . . . and wow; it really felt like you were right there. The highs and mids were vibrant and crystal clear, with no hint of distortion or strain. I have yet to test out a movie (after tonight's olympic coverage I will try out Master and Commander Blu-Ray), but based on my initial impressions, I'm sure I won't be let down.

The setup had been quite simple and only took around 6 minutes to complete (i.e., speaker auto calibration) with spot on results (at least in terms of speaker distance). I still have some tweaking to do, but overall I am very satisfied with this unit. I only wish Logitech would release the update for the Harmony One remote for this receiver! I'll post more notes once I have a chance to better test out the unit.

Update: After watching Master and Commander, I had to manually adjust the level of my center channel speaker, as it had been significantly underpowered during playback. I corrected the level from -5.0db to 0.0db with a much better result during playback. I'm sure this has to do with my specific configuration, yet I thought it worthy of posting for others to see. Otherwise, the soundtrack sounded amazing.
post #94 of 17105 Old 08-21-2008, 04:16 AM
vvv

Keep those ICE AMP review and comparisons coming.
post #95 of 17105 Old 08-21-2008, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteD View Post

I think it was a bad design choice to put the iPod usb connector on the front panel instead of the rear. Who would want to look at having the front panel down and a wire connecting to a port on it all the time?

Totally agree, DynamiteD. My first choice would be a front and rear USB connector. Don't like the idea of leaving the front panel down to connect any device, but I do like the front panel. I have a front panel on my VSX-D850S which I hope to replace with the SC-05 or SC-07.
post #96 of 17105 Old 08-21-2008, 05:39 AM

Fry's carrys the SR+ cable/4 conductor cable.

http://shop3.frys.com/product/521071...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG
post #97 of 17105 Old 08-21-2008, 07:01 AM

Well I am now hearing end of September or October for my 07. Can someone explain how best buy and the Pioneer store can get these in stock with plenty to spare, but dealers with pre-orders for months, are having to wait.... Sorry for the rant, this is just disappointing to say the least...
post #98 of 17105 Old 08-21-2008, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

Yeah, I agree. This sucks. I even asked when they get the powerbuy products. They said oh, usually a week or 2 after BB gets them. Right...
post #99 of 17105 Old 08-21-2008, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoZ View Post

Yeah, I agree. This sucks. I even asked when they get the powerbuy products. They said oh, usually a week or 2 after BB gets them. Right...

Looks like Pioneer is slow to release these units, which is most likely a good thing. I see it way too often when a company like Onkyo and HK/Denon etc.. Will release the new model in mass amounts and have HDMI issues or a ton of other issues and need countless amount of firmwares to fix the problems.
post #100 of 17105 Old 08-21-2008, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fubarman3 View Post

I finally got all moved in and hooked up my SC-07. My config is as follows: All Boston Acoustics speakers (5.1); HS225 center, VR975 L/R channel, HS60 surrounds, HO12 sub. Albeit I have never experienced "lossless" audio before, I must say this receiver is spectacular. As soon as I got all my components hooked up, I put in the Dave Matthews/Tim Reynolds Blu-Ray via my PS3 . . . and wow; it really felt like you were right there. The highs and mids were vibrant and crystal clear, with no hint of distortion or strain. I have yet to test out a movie (after tonight's olympic coverage I will try out Master and Commander Blu-Ray), but based on my initial impressions, I'm sure I won't be let down.

The setup had been quite simple and only took around 6 minutes to complete (i.e., speaker auto calibration) with spot on results (at least in terms of speaker distance). I still have some tweaking to do, but overall I am very satisfied with this unit. I only wish Logitech would release the update for the Harmony One remote for this receiver! I'll post more notes once I have a chance to better test out the unit.

Update: After watching Master and Commander, I had to manually adjust the level of my center channel speaker, as it had been significantly underpowered during playback. I corrected the level from -5.0db to 0.0db with a much better result during playback. I'm sure this has to do with my specific configuration, yet I thought it worthy of posting for others to see. Otherwise, the soundtrack sounded amazing.

Glad you got you system in finally Fubarman3!
Please keep your observations and comments coming! Enjoy your system, sounds awesome

"you're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #101 of 17105 Old 08-21-2008, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breedbeyond View Post

I have the reciever, haven't posted any real reviews of it yet I am too busy enjoying it. Any questions I will be happy to answer.

Congratulations on your system! Did you get the SC-07 or SC-05? How does it sound?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #102 of 17105 Old 08-21-2008, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Several people have asked for pictures and observations about how the BDP-51FD and SC-07 match regarding PQSL...

SC-07 display flashes PQSL

BDP-51FD Display

basic screen
note: hitting "tools" icon brings more options and a nicer screen

observation:
players used: Panasonic XP50 (toslink), Pioneer DV-400 (HDMI) and Pioneer BDP-51FD (HDMI)
CDs: Rosaline Cash, Simon and Garfunkle
Played one track on each player, played the BDP-51FD with PQSL on, then paused, turned PQSL off and repeated several times by going into the SC-07 menu.
It's only a personal opinion, (hopefully others who have this setup can confirm or call me deaf), but I found with PQSL on, sound was more defined. instruments were distinct and voices were, I guess the word is "more real" like they were a slighter higher resolution..
IMO, the PQSL works. I could perceive a difference.. (qualifier:but it could have been in my head..)
most noticible difference was comparing it with the DV-400 and XP50.
It was more subtle switching PQLS off and on the SC-07. but that is probably cause it's a better CD unit overall. Besides, to me, with this SC-07 EVERYTHING is sounding better! I think I love these ICE amps.

post #103 of 17105 Old 08-21-2008, 10:36 AM

I got the sc-07. And like you I am definatly loving these amps. Everything I have listened to has sounded clearer and I am hearing things in music that I have never heard before, and these are on cd's that I have listened to over 100 times. Sounds in lossless formats and even normal DTS sound amazing. I am glad I waited for my store to get these in. I was getting antsy and almost went with a 94-txh.
post #104 of 17105 Old 08-21-2008, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHP_VR View Post

Several people have asked for pictures and observations about how the BDP-51FD and SC-07 match regarding PQSL...

SC-07 display flashes PQSL

BDP-51FD Display

basic screen
note: hitting "tools" icon brings more options and a nicer screen

observation:
players used: Panasonic XP50 (toslink), Pioneer DV-400 (HDMI) and Pioneer BDP-51FD (HDMI)
CDs: Rosaline Cash, Simon and Garfunkle
Played one track on each player, played the BDP-51FD with PQSL on, then paused, turned PQSL off and repeated several times by going into the SC-07 menu.
It's only a personal opinion, (hopefully others who have this setup can confirm or call me deaf), but I found with PQSL on, sound was more defined. instruments were distinct and voices were, I guess the word is "more real" like they were a slighter higher resolution..
IMO, the PQSL works. I could perceive a difference.. (qualifier:but it could have been in my head..)
most noticible difference was comparing it with the DV-400 and XP50.
It was more subtle switching PQLS off and on the SC-07. but that is probably cause it's a better CD unit overall. Besides, to me, with this SC-07 EVERYTHING is sounding better! I think I love these ICE amps.

Thanks for the feedback, I'm looking forward to a lot of input on this issue. With this feature and the other comments about the ICE amps, this is looking to be a sweet AVR, I think I've got it down to the 05/07 or the 876/906. The pioneer sure fits in better with my other stuff, and I'm worried the Onk's might not be playing nice with the bdp51/05.

Thanks again, and back to listening for you....

05-1.3H BJC-3808-1.3H BJC-5080
post #105 of 17105 Old 08-21-2008, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

It's only a personal opinion, (hopefully others who have this setup can confirm or call me deaf), but I found with PQSL on, sound was more defined.

In theory (yeah right) there shouldn't be any difference only playing one song. PQLS is just a way for the receiver to tell the player to speed up a little or slow down a little if the receiver's bit buffer gets too full or too empty and that would be unlikely to happen in such a short time. dr1394 (a firewire engineer) tested PQLS on the older Pioneer i.Link player and receiver. He played a whole CD and never saw a speed up or slow down signal meaning the clocks in the player and receiver were close enough that PQLS wasn't really needed with that combo. If he had mixed and matched brands, it might have been a different story.

Dennis H
post #106 of 17105 Old 08-21-2008, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catapult View Post

In theory (yeah right) there shouldn't be any difference only playing one song. PQLS is just a way for the receiver to tell the player to speed up a little or slow down a little if the receiver's bit buffer gets too full or too empty and that would be unlikely to happen in such a short time. dr1394 (a firewire engineer) tested PQLS on the older Pioneer i.Link player and receiver. He played a whole CD and never saw a speed up or slow down signal meaning the clocks in the player and receiver were close enough that PQLS wasn't really needed with that combo. If he had mixed and matched brands, it might have been a different story.

Interesting, but isn't Ilink inherently more stable. Doesn't HDMI have the potential of introducing more jitter than an ilink would?

If this bit buffer is maintained at the proper level, then why would jitter ever be an issue?

Not flaming at all, just trying to understand the PQLS stuff a little better and you seem to know more than me for sure.

post #107 of 17105 Old 08-21-2008, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Interesting, but isn't Ilink inherently more stable. Doesn't HDMI have the potential of introducing more jitter than an ilink would?

If this bit buffer is maintained at the proper level, then why would jitter ever be an issue?

I'm guessing that Pioneer's jitter reduction feature (separate from PQLS) is just a giant buffer so PQLS shouldn't be needed in most cases, especially with a Pioneer player that should be using an identical clock. However, if you used a Brand X player with a slightly different clock speed, being able to tell it to slow down or speed up would be useful to keep from dropping bits. But, like I said, this is just a guess based on the info available. FWIW, the SC09 doesn't have PQLS and nobody seems too worried about it. The Pioneer guy said it had other jitter reduction methods which I take to mean a big buffer.

Dennis H
post #108 of 17105 Old 08-21-2008, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHP_VR View Post

I found with PQSL on, sound was more defined. instruments were distinct and voices were, I guess the word is "more real" like they were a slighter higher resolution. The PQSL works. I could perceive a difference......

very interesting, thanks!
post #109 of 17105 Old 08-21-2008, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 321
It's great to read so many enthusiastic posts about these new receivers!

I'm with rudolpht on these being well worth it.

BTW - just a note on rudolpht's comments on the 07 powerbuy. FWIW, I've coincidentally also dealt with the same Atlanta dealer on Pioneer Elite gear over the past 5 yrs, know him personally & have had good dealings with him.

ss9001

Steve
post #110 of 17105 Old 08-21-2008, 05:19 PM

Rudolpht, did you get an estimate on a delivery time frame on your power buy for the 07? I am pretty sure NismoZ and I are using the same dealer from Atlanta you are mentioning. The problems we are having is due to a lack of communication about a delivery time frame. I understand Pioneer is ultimately responsible for getting the stock to the dealers, but in my case I shelled out for both the 05fd and the sc-07 paid in full in advance, and still don't have any firm idea on when I will get these units. It is a little bit troublesome to see dealers with these units in stock and ready to sell, and I can't get a date of when the powerbuys are even going to reach the store, not to mention ship. In all fairness, I did get a great price on both units, but I am running out of patience.
post #111 of 17105 Old 08-21-2008, 05:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 999 Post(s)
Liked: 1083
I noticed on the .pdf specs that it mentions 3 HDMI inputs for the SC-05, yet the picture on the same sheet clearly shows 4, with one labeled BD in and the three below HDMI 1, HDIM 2 and HDMI 3. Am I missing something?

Also, I'm a bit surprised that neither unit has HD Radio. Is that the case or was this just not mentioned in the specs?
post #112 of 17105 Old 08-21-2008, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

I noticed on the .pdf specs that it mentions 3 HDMI inputs for the SC-05, yet the picture on the same sheet clearly shows 4, with one labeled BD in and the three below HDMI 1, HDIM 2 and HDMI 3. Am I missing something?

Also, I'm a bit surprised that neither unit has HD Radio. Is that the case or was this just not mentioned in the specs?

From what I understand, three of them are assignable, while the first is permanently tied to the BR label.

post #113 of 17105 Old 08-21-2008, 05:50 PM

CHP_VR, what all can you do remote wise with just HDMI control. I am really hoping to be able to just use my 151's remote for everything for general use. I know I will have to use the other unit remotes for calibration and the like, but for everyday use I want to be down to just one remote without having to resort to buying a universal. Everything will be Pioneer Elite except my Oppo 983 which I can already use the 151's remote for. Also how is the HDMI control holding up? Is it buggy or does it work as advertised? Thanks!
post #114 of 17105 Old 08-21-2008, 05:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 999 Post(s)
Liked: 1083
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS2JSTS View Post

From what I understand, three of them are assignable, while the first is permanently tied to the BR label.

That would be fine since I'm sure the vast majority of owners will have a BD player. So that would be 4 HDMI inputs total.

Still no HD radio that I can see after a quick browse through the manual.
post #115 of 17105 Old 08-21-2008, 06:49 PM

Does anyone know what Burr Brown DACs are in the SC07?

Thanks
post #116 of 17105 Old 08-21-2008, 10:11 PM

Hi, I am interested in the 07. Just curious if any of you have owned the Onkio / Integra and can offer comparisons.
Thanks
post #117 of 17105 Old 08-22-2008, 08:29 AM

I talked to someone in another forum who claims to have the 07....any of you guys who have one listen to classical music? He claims the sound stage is more distinct with PQLS enabled on classical music. Says he can't really tell with other types.
post #118 of 17105 Old 08-22-2008, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonbek777 View Post

CHP_VR, what all can you do remote wise with just HDMI control. I am really hoping to be able to just use my 151's remote for everything for general use. I know I will have to use the other unit remotes for calibration and the like, but for everyday use I want to be down to just one remote without having to resort to buying a universal. Everything will be Pioneer Elite except my Oppo 983 which I can already use the 151's remote for. Also how is the HDMI control holding up? Is it buggy or does it work as advertised? Thanks!

Will have to check all the functions tonight Vonbeck777, I just use it to turn/off on the AVR when I turn on/off the TV, and volume control.. (with the dish or TV remote). My tv remote and the AVR remote do a good job integrating most functions (PRO-110FD).
It's a good question though, and I will look at it. HDMI controls the "synch" mode, when operated, it allows additional functions like switching tuner stations and pops up on the screen on lower left hand side.. I just put it in the back of mind to try later.

I have one irratating issue...

I don't know if it's me, my expectations, or a problem....
When I turn on the TV the AVR turns on, I get a brief picture, then the screen says "switching Audio" then "switching input" and shows a blank screen.
I found out it switches to "tv" operation. the button on the remote called tv is set to "component" (and you can only program it switch to component 1-4, HDMI is greyed out when HDMI control is in use) and have to hit HDMI button on the SC-07 to get everything back.
My workaround was to connect to the component inputs as well as the HDMI from the HR-21 (it simultaneously outputs to both) and optical to opt1...
Picture quality-wise, I see no difference from HDMI and component with the HR-21(both output 1080i) problem averted, but it bugs me. Like I said, it may be me or my expections.. I'm still learning. But I would expect the unit to switch to HMDI and not component.

post #119 of 17105 Old 08-22-2008, 09:40 AM

That's interesting. Thanks!
post #120 of 17105 Old 08-22-2008, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonbek777 View Post

I talked to someone in another forum who claims to have the 07....any of you guys who have one listen to classical music? He claims the sound stage is more distinct with PQLS enabled on classical music. Says he can't really tell with other types.

I found a slight difference from PQLS on the music I listened to... better resolution in terms of instruments and voice.... but that's only an opinion/perception. I'm sure as more and more try it, everyone is going to have different opinions.. main thing I guess is, he DID experience a difference for the better.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page