Official Pioneer SC-05 and SC-07 Owners Thread - Page 486 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #14551 of 17105 Old 10-30-2009, 07:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Coming from POS Sony STR-DE845.... wow, I'm totally blown away by this thing and I haven't even played with any of the cool settings yet.

Does anybody happen to know if there's way to plug the Iphone (1st gen) into the front USB port. When I plug it in I get error on phone that this accessory/cable has not beed designed to be used with Iphone, anyone know what kind of cable to get? Argh... just saw Iphone won't work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14552 of 17105 Old 10-30-2009, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHP_VR View Post

Here's some of the stuff:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post14514005

To be honest though, I no longer use it now... But that's because I have so many other components without HDMI CEC capability.
I use SR+ with a Harmony now.
I'm one of the few that liked HDMI Control

edit: MacFan beat me to it this time!..

I read that post you have linked. Having the BDP-51FD and a 5010 Kuro, I no longer have any need for that awful Harmony 510 I have. I'm going to buy a spare remote for my SC-07 so it's available whenever my current one goes south. That's less money than Logitech is charging for anything they hawk that has buttons anywhere near the quality of my Motorola cable box remote.
post #14553 of 17105 Old 10-30-2009, 09:05 PM

Sorry if this has been asked already. I can't seen to find it in the manual or this large thread.
How do I get the osd to display volume, source etc?
I am using HDMI to a pioneer projector.
TIA
Neil
post #14554 of 17105 Old 10-31-2009, 04:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Schneider View Post

Sorry if this has been asked already. I can't seen to find it in the manual or this large thread.
How do I get the osd to display volume, source etc?
I am using HDMI to a pioneer projector.
TIA
Neil

Timely post since the issue of HDMI Control (HDMI CEC) is being talked about a few posts up

Only 2 options for getting OSD:
Use HDMI Control. Pioneer has changed the name for its HDMI Control to Kuro Link for use with Kuro plasmas, but it might work with other displays depending on how HDMI CEC control is implemented.

Use SR+ connection with compatible Pioneer displays for control. 8th gen Kuros & not 9th gen had SR+. 9th (& last) gen Kuros have the older SR.

If your Pioneer projector is the PRO-FPJ1, it's actually a re-badged JVC, maybe with some Pioneer tweaks & I don't know if it has SR+ or HDMI Control built-in.

And SR+ and HDMI control are discussed in your manual, BTW. Check page 71 and also section 11, starting on page 89

ss9001
Steve

Steve
post #14555 of 17105 Old 10-31-2009, 05:06 AM

Thanks for the quick reply.
I do have the PRO-FPJ1 projector, and I don't think there it has the sr+ or hdmi control built in. So I am guessing there is no osd. Unless I am missing something. Weird, my $200 samsung htib has osd.
post #14556 of 17105 Old 10-31-2009, 08:17 AM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Maybe this has been answered before, but I could not find a definative answer. I am looking at getting an oppo BDP-83 to replace my Panny BD-30 and Denon DVD-2200. My question is. If I use a single HDMI cable from the Oppo to the SC-05 then obviously to my display, will I be able to use the bass management in my SC-05 and MCACC applications for DVD-Audio and SACD? Currently I have to use 7.1 multi-channel analog from my Denon and this obviously bypasses the bass management and MCACC in my SC-05.

Thanks

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100,  Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #14557 of 17105 Old 10-31-2009, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

^^
Yes, you can apply MCACC & bass management to the HDMI input from your Oppo no matter what the recording is. It'll work just fine with SACD/DVDA. SACD will be converted internally by the SC to PCM so that bass management can be applied. Unless you want to add DPLIIx/THX/dts, make sure you use Direct mode for optimum SACD/DVDA sound & not Auto Surround. Using Pure Direct means no MCACC/BM on the HDMI, so what comes out of the player is what you get.

And you also can use MCACC & bass management with your analog inputs, by using either Direct or Auto Surround modes. In this case, the signal is converted back to digital 1st so that the digital processing can be applied, then back to analog. So there's an extra analog/digital conversion going on. If you use Pure Direct mode, this will prevent you from adding MCACC/BM.

Either way, you are covered.

ss9001

Steve
post #14558 of 17105 Old 10-31-2009, 09:45 AM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

And you also can use MCACC & bass management with your analog inputs, by using either Direct or Auto Surround modes. In this case, the signal is converted back to digital 1st so that the digital processing can be applied, then back to analog. So there's an extra analog/digital conversion going on. If you use Pure Direct mode, this will prevent you from adding MCACC/BM.

Either way, you are covered.

ss9001

Thanks! Can I do this using the analog muli-channel input on the SC-05 using my current Denon DVD-2200 as well?

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100,  Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #14559 of 17105 Old 10-31-2009, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Schneider View Post

Thanks for the quick reply.
I do have the PRO-FPJ1 projector, and I don't think there it has the sr+ or hdmi control built in. So I am guessing there is no osd. Unless I am missing something. Weird, my $200 samsung htib has osd.

Neil:

True component based OSD for volume and other items corrupts the picture over HDMI. Pioneer wants pure HDMI. In most of their new gear the OSD it GENERATED BY THE DISPLAY given a non video data stream from the receiver.

That's how the SC series works with other HDMI CEC sources - that does not place overlays or corrupt the HDMI/Component/Composite source data in any way. Make sense?

Every OSD for the SC series is different depending on the display implementation of same.

Isn't the PRO-PJ1 HDMI CEC compliant? It may not implement the volume display since it does not have speakers and its own internal volume management system to enable such a display. I am suprised it does not display source names though.

Isn't it time someone promoted quality as value?
post #14560 of 17105 Old 10-31-2009, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I've been out several weeks, due to illness. So, I've been catching up the past couple of days with all the new Posts and pages. I have a question and then a comment.

1) Did I just read right that MCACC is still applied in Pure Direct Mode but not Bass Management?

2) I have a real hard time when I see that some people mount their television/monitor sets above eye level. It's not too bad when it's a few inches above but on top of a (hopefully fake) fireplace? Another no-no is putting your center channel speaker so high. Nothing like listening to your dialog coming out of the ceiling. Yeah, like that's real life, baby! I guess, whatever floats yer boat.

Other than that, I missed everyone!

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #14561 of 17105 Old 10-31-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldithomaso View Post

Neil:

True component based OSD for volume and other items corrupts the picture over HDMI. Pioneer wants pure HDMI. In most of their new gear the OSD it GENERATED BY THE DISPLAY given a non video data stream from the receiver.

That's how the SC series works with other HDMI CEC sources - that does not place overlays or corrupt the HDMI/Component/Composite source data in any way. Make sense?

Every OSD for the SC series is different depending on the display implementation of same.

Isn't the PRO-PJ1 HDMI CEC compliant? It may not implement the volume display since it does not have speakers and its own internal volume management system to enable such a display. I am suprised it does not display source names though.

Thanks for the explanation. I don't get any osd even when I switch sources. No big deal. As far as the projector being CEC compliant....I really don't know. Looks like it isn't.
post #14562 of 17105 Old 10-31-2009, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

1) Did I just read right that MCACC is still applied in Pure Direct Mode but not Bass Management?

Glad you're back!

Pure Direct has no MCACC and no bass management, because no added processing is applied. Signal is what it is.

In Direct you can add MCACC and add bass management.

Hope that helps

ss9001

Steve
post #14563 of 17105 Old 11-01-2009, 06:05 AM

Quote:

Glad you're back!

Pure Direct has no MCACC and no bass management, because no added processing is applied. Signal is what it is.

In Direct you can add MCACC and add bass management.

Hope that helps

ss9001

And it works that way on digital signals too? As the OP, I didn't mean to infer I was talking about analog signals only. I'm talking about USB based mp3 files. IMO Pure Direct is the only way to listen to these compressed digital sources. While playing I have cycled thru the modes and all the 'others' just sound hollow - for lack of a better description. So I've wondered what these 'other modes' are doing to a simple two-channel signal. I'm not talking about the intrinsic processing required to de-compress an mp3 file, before sending it to the audio output of the 05.

It could be I don't fully understand what the MCACC process does. I was under the impression that it 'equalized' your speakers from an audio-balancing standpoint, rather than apply any digital processing that would fundamentally alter the signal. There's a big difference. There is other digital processing the SC-05 can do, but like I said, I thot MCACC only did a 'balancing act', but left the signal processing alone. With these sophisticated AVRs maybe that's not true.

So, depending upon how the original source was recorded and mixed, and assuming it's stereo, the signal would only be sent to the right and left speakers using Pure Direct mode - hearing it in its original form? What other MCACC mode would there be assuming it does NOT alter the signal itself?

rickybob
post #14564 of 17105 Old 11-01-2009, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

==========================================================
Center LED Lights
==========================================================
Several have wondered about the number of cases involving one of the two LEDs going out in the center panel.....
Here's the instances I have found of reported cases:

To make sure we're talking about the same thing, here's a normal image of the center LEDs:

Going back to August of 2008, the first reported case I can find was senfen in March of 2009.

**MacFan424 - intermittant
Removed from list:
zmn668
Reason: Functional (misunderstanding)..

Again, if I missed anyone, please let me know.. thanks
keyword: centerled

Add my name to the list... I noticed today that my 2-weeks old SC-27, that replaced my one-year old trouble-free SC-07, has its left blue center light off. Tried power off/on, unplug, dimmer settings, ... Serial IFMP000*, build date June 2009, Malaysian built. Going to contact store for exchange.

Dan.
post #14565 of 17105 Old 11-01-2009, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

... Did I just read right that MCACC is still applied in Pure Direct Mode but not Bass Management?...

Quote:

...Pure Direct has no MCACC and no bass management, because no added processing is applied. Signal is what it is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickybob View Post

And it works that way on digital signals too?...

It could be I don't fully understand what the MCACC process does. I was under the impression that it 'equalized' your speakers from an audio-balancing standpoint, rather than apply any digital processing that would fundamentally alter the signal. There's a big difference. There is other digital processing the SC-05 can do, but like I said, I thot MCACC only did a 'balancing act', but left the signal processing alone. With these sophisticated AVRs maybe that's not true.

So, depending upon how the original source was recorded and mixed, and assuming it's stereo, the signal would only be sent to the right and left speakers using Pure Direct mode - hearing it in its original form? What other MCACC mode would there be assuming it does NOT alter the signal itself?

I never brought this up here before, because I had no interest in setting off a controversy about an assertion I could not irrefutably "prove," but, as I said before, a couple of us did some experiments and discussed our findings in the VSX-01/03 thread back in early August. I don't represent this to be scientific, merely some empirical observations. However, two of us did report the same results, and I observed them in two different receivers, a VSX-01 and a SC-07.

First, I did a very quick and dirty experiment with my VSX-01 using a stereo CD input over HDMI 2.

In Pure Direct, the Phase Control and Advanced MCACC indicator lights went off as they are supposed to. Its Digital Processing indicator stayed on, contrary to to manual. In any case, I could hear MCACC effects vary by setting, and the volume got noticeably louder when I turned it off (as it should if MCACC is active). So MCACC seemed to be engaged with Pure Direct, no matter what the indicator light said.

Bass Management also seemed to remain engaged with digital input. The subs were active with the mains set to small.

Another member reported the same results with an SP/DIF connection, so it isn’t limited to HDMI, although his DSP light did go off.

With analog input, Pure Direct did bypass Bass Management. I verified this with my SMS-1 display. In Pure direct, with the main speakers set to Small, they will reproduce a full range pattern (to the limits of their capabilities) when given a stereo analog input (the SMS-1 does not have a digital output to test). In any other mode (Direct, stereo, etc.), under the same test conditions, bass management is active and bass is reproduced by the subwoofers, not the mains.

However, even with stereo analog input, MCACC adjustments were clearly audible when switching through modes as well as when it is Off. I had settings in my VSX-01 for different parts of the room, and the shift in balance was obvious. EQ adjustments were harder to verify, but certainly seemed to be in place when I listened. This confirmed the other member‘s results.

This was totally opposite of my expectation (that there would be no MCACC correction in Pure Direct, but that bass management might be retained), so it is not just a case of hearing what I expected to hear.

I'll also admit that I didn't dig into this in any depth, so would be interested in anyone else's contrary results or alternative explanation for mine.

Based on my experience, I’d say that rickybob is right. It’s a matter of definition. The other member studied the schematics and suggested it was possible that MCACC was applied in an analog mode under Pure Direct. I couldn’t intelligently comment on that one way or the other. I also can't comment on MP3 handling as I don't listen to them.

BTW, in the 2X series manuals, Pioneer has altered it’s description of Pure Direct to indicate it applies to analog signals.
post #14566 of 17105 Old 11-01-2009, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Mcfan424,

A very interesting read!
I have done many tests with my SC-07 and can report that in "Pure Direct" mode that it does indeed do what the manual states and shuts off all digital processing modes, and I cannot stand the sound.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #14567 of 17105 Old 11-01-2009, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Any chance the V-series receiver applies the EQ after converting to analog?
post #14568 of 17105 Old 11-01-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan424 View Post

... Pioneer has altered it’s description of Pure Direct to indicate it applies to analog signals.

Huh? How can that be true? There's a big difference between Pure Direct and the other modes. What does Pure Direct mean then to a digital signal? Does it treat as 'pure' - as one would assume - with no signal processing, equalization - or apply some type of processing? Even with a digital signal(mp3 for example), one could assume that Pure Direct and simple stereo mode (or off, I'm away from 05, so I'm not sure) would be the same.(Assuming the 'old school' definition of stereo as a simple, unaltered, 2-channel signal.) But clearly that is not the case. The sound using Pure Direct and stereo are completely different!

To perps point that he 'can't stand' the sound of Pure Direct ... Wouldn't that be listening to the audio in it's most unaltered, or 'pure' state? And assuming that the general goal of audio is to recreate the illusion of what was originally recorded, isn't that a good thing?

rickybob

Edit: It seems to me that all the other modes 'dumb down' the sound, whereas Pure Direct makes it come to life with a more dynamic realism.
post #14569 of 17105 Old 11-01-2009, 01:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:

Huh? How can that be true? There's a big difference between Pure Direct and the other modes. What does Pure Direct mean then to a digital signal? Does it treat as 'pure' - as one would assume - with no signal processing, equalization - or apply some type of processing? Even with a digital signal(mp3 for example), one could assume that Pure Direct and simple stereo mode (or off, I'm away from 05, so I'm not sure) would be the same.(Assuming the 'old school' definition of stereo as a simple, unaltered, 2-channel signal.) But clearly that is not the case. The sound using Pure Direct and stereo are completely different!

To perps point that he 'can't stand' the sound of Pure Direct ... Wouldn't that be listening to the audio in it's most unaltered, or 'pure' state? And assuming that the general goal of audio is to recreate the illusion of what was originally recorded, isn't that a good thing?

rickybob

Edit: It seems to me that all the other modes 'dumb down' the sound, whereas Pure Direct makes it come to life with a more dynamic realism.

ricky... unless you live in a perfect room, with perfect placement and a perfect seating position, using mcacc processing will likely give you something that is much closer to the "original" than using "pure direct"...

don't confuse mcacc processing with the "artificial" advanced surround modes (i.e. stadium, etc.)...

also keep something else in mind... unless you are listening to a "real" live recorded performance (found mostly amougst "live" classical recordings), it's not like you are listening to music that was recorded without significant processing/mixing/etc.

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14570 of 17105 Old 11-01-2009, 02:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

ricky... unless you live in a perfect room, with perfect placement and a perfect seating position, using mcacc processing will likely give you something that is much closer to the "original" than using "pure direct"...

Also to some extent MCACC will correct the performance of your speakers with features such as Phase Control.

| 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
post #14571 of 17105 Old 11-01-2009, 02:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^^

yup.

too many "purists" assume that dsp is automatically "bad"... by doing so, they are living not only in the past, but are listening to stuff that isn't as "good" as it could be....

edit: that's NOT meant as a shot at you ricky... re-reading it, i realize it could have come across that way...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #14572 of 17105 Old 11-01-2009, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Updated
added:
front page

MacFan's Pure Direct Observations

LED Issues
info_Dan's Center LED on his SC-27
x64Man Standby/ON LED

Impressions and pictures updated:
Members reviews page 2
jitu
Charles R
Fred1966

HGM Update Firmware:
Shane55 HGM Firmware Update

Thanks for helping keep this forum up to date, guys

"you're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me"

post #14573 of 17105 Old 11-01-2009, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juhanyman View Post

Coming from POS Sony STR-DE845.... wow, I'm totally blown away by this thing and I haven't even played with any of the cool settings yet.

Does anybody happen to know if there's way to plug the Iphone (1st gen) into the front USB port. When I plug it in I get error on phone that this accessory/cable has not beed designed to be used with Iphone, anyone know what kind of cable to get? Argh... just saw Iphone won't work.

Juhanyman;

You'll find more things to smile about as you experience and get more familiar with her

Your iPhone....
One of the things you might want to try is the HGM firmware update...
It was originally released for iPhone and iTouch HGM compatibility issue...
Look here and see if this helps..
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post16631529
So far results have been positive. Please use caution, and read the page and links carefully.
And PLEASE let us know how it goes!

"you're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me"

post #14574 of 17105 Old 11-01-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:

Juhanyman;
Your iPhone.... One of the things you might want to try is the HGM firmware update... It was originally released for iPhone and iTouch HGM compatibility issue...

Tought I play with it little more before I update the firmware. Even thou Iphone gives me error "this accessory is not designed to be use with the Iphone", I clicked close and opened HGM and I can see Ipod there and play songs fine! (running 3.7.30.7468).
post #14575 of 17105 Old 11-01-2009, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjktcvs View Post

Any chance the V-series receiver applies the EQ after converting to analog?

Another member's analysis of the VSX-01 schematics suggested that was possible. He noticed a chip that he thought might be employed to do that. He did not report looking at an SC series schematic to see if the same scheme was utilized, but I'd be surprised if the two use a markedly different approach (whatever that may be).
Quote:

Huh? How can that be true?... What does Pure Direct mean then to a digital signal? Does it treat as 'pure' - as one would assume - with no signal processing, equalization - or apply some type of processing?...

Per the 01/07 operating manual:
Quote:

PURE DIRECT – Analog and 2 channel PCM sources are heard without any digital processing.

Per the 21/27 operating manual:
Quote:

PURE DIRECT – Analog sources are heard without any digital processing.

Whether this represents an actual change or simply a correction of the manual is not clear. My observations suggest it probably is the latter.

The 21/27 manual also has a new chart that compares "what you will hear with different input signal formats" using Auto Surround, Direct or Pure Direct. The only difference they list between Direct and Pure Direct is with analog two channel sources, for which Direct is shown as "Stereo playback" (same as two channel PCM) while Pure Direct shows "ANALOG DIRECT (stereo)." (The caps are Pioneer's.)

Quote:

To perps point that he 'can't stand' the sound of Pure Direct ... Wouldn't that be listening to the audio in it's most unaltered, or 'pure' state?

As ccotenj said, unless you listen to acoustic instruments carefully recorded using minimal processing (e.g. various Chesky SACD's), you don't hear unaltered or "pure" music from most sources. Processing is routinely applied to recordings. The best that can be expected is to hear the sound the producer intended. Chances are that MCACC's room/speaker corrections come closer to accommodating that in most home situations than an unprocessed signal would. Few of us have rooms that mimic a recording studio's acoustics, nor do we listen to studio monitors. MCACC brings us closer.

Since MCACC is so integral to Pioneer's philosophy, it would not be difficult to imagine that they would find a way to incorporate it, even with a pure analog signal. The manuals do specifically note that Pure Direct does not employ Phase Control, and they mention that Direct incorporates Hi-Bit (in applicable models), from which I inferred that it was disabled with Pure Direct. These things could make the two sound different, although how much is probably room and speaker dependent.

One of the reasons I never pursued Pure Direct's application of MCACC and bass management beyond a few experiments is that I wasn't interested in a mode that removed useful (to me) enhancements such as Phase Control. I never have used Pure Direct on any regular basis.
post #14576 of 17105 Old 11-01-2009, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
WOW, I haven't been here in a while since I originally bought my SC-05. But I'll ask with some help if someone is willing to help out.

I just bought a new 27" iMac and wondered if the SC05 would network [wired] with the iMac for streaming music? When I first bought my SC05 I had a PC and connected it to the PC [wired connection] and I couldn't get it to work. I wasn't sure if Pioneer updated the HMG or what ever to make it a little more user friendly.
post #14577 of 17105 Old 11-01-2009, 05:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

note that i haven't tried this, however...

not natively... however, it should work by using something like twonky (or other similar type software)...

there's other ways to stream that are effective as well... see the link in my sig and feel free to pm me if you have any questions...

- chris

post #14578 of 17105 Old 11-02-2009, 12:30 AM

Maybe it's my room, maybe it's my speakers, but I find every mode other than Pure Direct sound awful. With Pure Direct everythings sounds tight, nice bass, nice trebles, nice seperation, everything. Using an MCACC calibrated setting the sounds becomes dull. Less tight bass, muted, and so on.

It's a possibility that I've got used to the "Pure Direct Sound" so much that a calibrated (and probably more natural) sound appears to be worse but actually isn't. Especially when listening to a stereo audio-CD every other mode than Pure Direct is impossible to bear. When watching movies a THX or other mode is okay.

Oh well, so many people, so many opinions I guess (however I do want an MCACC mode to sound nice, the function isn't there for no reason!)
post #14579 of 17105 Old 11-02-2009, 04:32 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfeffernuss View Post

Maybe it's my room, maybe it's my speakers, but I find every mode other than Pure Direct sound awful. With Pure Direct everythings sounds tight, nice bass, nice trebles, nice seperation, everything. Using an MCACC calibrated setting the sounds becomes dull. Less tight bass, muted, and so on.

It's a possibility that I've got used to the "Pure Direct Sound" so much that a calibrated (and probably more natural) sound appears to be worse but actually isn't. Especially when listening to a stereo audio-CD every other mode than Pure Direct is impossible to bear. When watching movies a THX or other mode is okay.

Oh well, so many people, so many opinions I guess (however I do want an MCACC mode to sound nice, the function isn't there for no reason!)

My experience is the same. Music/HT audio sounds best w/Pure Direct mode. Most of the THX pre-sets seem like (or sound like) a gimmick to me, but if one A/V manufacturer offers these features the rest will have to market them too.
post #14580 of 17105 Old 11-02-2009, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity View Post

My experience is the same. Music/HT audio sounds best w/Pure Direct mode. Most of the THX pre-sets seem like (or sound like) a gimmick to me, but if one A/V manufacturer offers these features the rest will have to market them too.

Using an OPPO BDP-83 via HDMI to my SC-07 for CD I prefer the STEREO to Stream Direct. It's like night and day. The Pioneer processing sounds like someone opened a door...way more high-end detial and much wider soundstage on my Salks. For SACD though I'm currently feeding the Pioneer PCM and leaing the DSD conversion for the OPPO.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page