Official Pioneer SC-05 and SC-07 Owners Thread - Page 494 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #14791 of 17107 Old 11-19-2009, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Definitely run MCACC now and set your speakers to LARGE (it'll probably set them large automatically) so lows are directed to your fronts..
When you get your sub back, you'll want to do MCACC over again anyway.
In fact, you should run MCACC anytime you add, subtract, change or move any of your speakers or furniture.

"you're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14792 of 17107 Old 11-19-2009, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHP_VR View Post

Definitely run MCACC now and set your speakers to LARGE (it'll probably set them large automatically) so lows are directed to your fronts..
In fact, you should run MCACC anytime you add, subtract, change or move any of your speakers or furniture.

Yep, I was going to suggest the same thing. When I ran MCACC, it set the fronts to large and everything sound GREAT!

PSN: Fail_At_Failing
XBL: jitu757

bbexperience: "hmm. I don't know. It's hard to notice the sensitivity of the sticks when the controller is flying through the air."
post #14793 of 17107 Old 11-20-2009, 03:19 PM

Liked: 10
First off, a very sincere Thank You to:

MacFan424, wheelman76, ON IN II, info_dan, echrise, & CHP_VR

for all your replies and suggestions on how to deal with my SC-07 suddenly failing to output ANY audio whatsoever.

To recap: on 13 Nov 2009, I used the SC-07/Home Theatre system early in the morning for news, then turned it OFF. Later, when preparing to run errands, I switched the SC-07 "ON" to TUNER/FM classical music for my animals to keep them company. The unit DID NOT output any audio at all.

I tried unplugging the unit, waiting, re-inserting the plug - waited for the SC-07 to stabilize, then powered it "ON". The usual deep "click" when hitting the power button, followed by 4-5 seconds of silence, then 2 short "clicks" - not the 1 "click" I'd been hearing. This made me think the 1st "click" was the amps going "hot", the 2nd "click" was the amps shutting down.

I did try everyone's suggestions but to no avail. I had no error messages in the display, no flashing lights on the front or rear panels, no failure while in operating mode as in a high volume shutdown, nothing. I had not added or removed any components from the System since the installation of the SC-07.

I also performed the System RESET function, which of course lost all of my personalized settings, but still no sound.

On Sunday, 15 Nov 2009 at 15:30, I removed the SC-07 from my installation (ugh!) and took it to the Geek Squad at the Best Buy where purchased in September, 2009. They gave me back the original box and packaging materials since they repack in their own box for shipment to their repair facility in Chino, CA.

On Friday, 20 Nov 2009 at 13:09, I received a call from a Tech at the Best Buy repair facility in Chino to tell me that '...the Mother Board is bad and I'm ordering a new one from Pioneer. It'll probably be at least another week or longer. You will get a call from the store once your SC-07 has been returned to them...'

I'm providing this update for informational purposes to the Forum and future reference. My SC-07 was manufactured in September, 2008. Serial #HIMP003829CC. I thought CHP_VR, as Forum Master, would like to track the unit failures and types of failures for the user community.

Again, Thank You all Very Much for your time, suggestions, replies and insights. I'm looking forward to having the repaired unit returned so I can re-install and begin re-enjoying.

RMA
Las Vegas, 89134
post #14794 of 17107 Old 11-20-2009, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherardp View Post

This setup needs some TLC. All that nice gear belongs a better rack. And all those plugs into a cheap extension cord, a fire hazard to say the least. Spend the money and clean it up, before it dies on you.

Not quite sure what you are seeing but there are no extension cords being used.
Everything is plugged straight into a PS Audio Quintet.
That reminds me.....I need to set my APC unit back up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHP_VR View Post

Yes, I agree that this is very important.
Even if you are picking at your nose and fling whatever is on the end of your finger across the room.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #14795 of 17107 Old 11-20-2009, 11:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
hmmm, got a question here

I'm in the process of upgrading my audio/video components, so far I have a 7 year old rptv Panny that only has component input for video and will get a newer lcd tv in the future. I've gotten the SC-05 and a PS3 slim, now, since my old rptv has no hdmi input can i get a hdmi to component cable to run between the sc-05 and Panny? Will it work with the PS3 via hdmi cable to SC-05 then the SC-05 via a hmdi -> component cable to the Panny rptv? I haven't the slightest idea what the Panny will do with a 1080p signal since its 480i, 480p, 1080i. But if it is possible at least I'll have the blu-ray HD audio coming out of the recv'r with a down converted 480i/1080i video signal on the Panny, well hopefully.
post #14796 of 17107 Old 11-21-2009, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitu View Post

THX is questionable because I don't think I have noticed any difference. If you know of a movie that I can use to test this feature, please let me know as I am very curious.

I notice there is increased bass at low volumes in THX mode. When the family is awake I put it into auto surround mode and listen at a righteous volume. When they sleep, down goes the volume and into THX Cinema mode.
post #14797 of 17107 Old 11-21-2009, 06:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by pochoboy View Post

hmmm, got a question here

I'm in the process of upgrading my audio/video components, so far I have a 7 year old rptv Panny that only has component input for video and will get a newer lcd tv in the future. I've gotten the SC-05 and a PS3 slim, now, since my old rptv has no hdmi input can i get a hdmi to component cable to run between the sc-05 and Panny? Will it work with the PS3 via hdmi cable to SC-05 then the SC-05 via a hmdi -> component cable to the Panny rptv? I haven't the slightest idea what the Panny will do with a 1080p signal since its 480i, 480p, 1080i. But if it is possible at least I'll have the blu-ray HD audio coming out of the recv'r with a down converted 480i/1080i video signal on the Panny, well hopefully.

no can do... for a few reasons... primarily being that there's no such animal as a hdmi to component cable... here is a brief explanation as to why there isn't... and even if there was, it wouldn't do you a lot of good, as you'd never be able to complete a hdcp handshake with copy-protected material (which almost all commercial disks are)...

reason 2 is that your panny wouldn't accept the 1080p signal anyway...

and nope, before you ask, you couldn't connect the ps3 slim via hdmi and send the video out from the avr to the tv on component cables, as the avr will not transcode from hdmi to component...

if you really want to make this work... and this assumes that the ps3 has both the hdmi and component both outputs active at the same time... you could connect via hdmi to the avr for the sound, and component to the tv for the video...

your best bet (other than replacing the tv), is to hook the ps3 up to the avr using the component/spdif connections... the difference between the lossless codecs and the higher bit rate lossy codecs used on blu-ray is subtle at best...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14798 of 17107 Old 11-21-2009, 09:33 AM

Simple question, I hope. I finally got someone to drill holes and crawl through a crawl space in order that I could run speaker wires from the SC-05 through several rooms to attach to my Kefs. I have them connected to the B-speaker outputs. I switched my speakers from NORMAL to B and now have sound coming from the Kefs. But...when I originally set everything up, I didn't have SB or B speakers. Now when I try to switch the Bs to LARGE, there is no way to get to that setting.

Do I need to rerun MCACC in order to indicate I have the other two speakers, even though they are several rooms away? Can I set the B speakers to LARGE while leaving the others at SMALL? (The subwoofer is in the movie room and not likely to have any impact on the sound from the Kefs.)

I tried to read the manual and I did some initial searching here (though I imagine this topic has been covered before).

Thanks.

--Scooter
post #14799 of 17107 Old 11-21-2009, 11:27 AM

I have had my sc-07 for about 10 months now and love it. However, when i flick the light switch on or off on only two of the lights in my house the sc-07 re-syncs the HDMI connection on my sony bravia tv (720p) on hdmi out 1 (the screen goes black and the SC-07's hdmi light flashes) . I have removed the CFL's on those switches which had no effect.

Any ideas?

Secondly i'd like to add a function on my Harmony 890 to switch between hdmi out 1 and 2. I have a JVC RS-2 (1080p) projector on HDMI Out 2 but cannot find an easy way to program the remote to have a toggle between the two outputs without rotating through the 3 options (the screen comes down from the ceiling in front of the TV for movie viewing).

Thx.

Elite SC-07
JVC RS-2 Projector
Sony Bravia 40" TV
Elite Screens CineTension 2 84"
Monster PowerCenter HTS850
Homebuilt HTPC/Sapphire 4890 Vapor-x/MHome Automation
Leviton Z-Wave lighting and AC controls
Harmony 890 Pro
post #14800 of 17107 Old 11-21-2009, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

...your best bet (other than replacing the tv), is to hook the ps3 up to the avr using the component/spdif connections... the difference between the lossless codecs and the higher bit rate lossy codecs used on blu-ray is subtle at best...

Sacrilege!

I agree, totally, though. (Now we can both don our flame jackets! )

If pochoboy's PS3 will support it, he can use HDMI for audio and component for video, but he won't lose much if he must "settle" for a coax or toslink audio connection.
post #14801 of 17107 Old 11-21-2009, 01:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

LOL! "don't you blaspheme in here!"...

good, now someone else can at least absorb some of the flames...

which will no doubt come... but in reality, it's true...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #14802 of 17107 Old 11-21-2009, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

guys thank you for the info, In time I'll have a new tv set, in fact its next on my list but in the meantime I'll try to do what you both suggested.

I've seen on Ebay, hdmi to 5rca (2 for audio, 3 for video component), also a hdmi to rca converter(powered) if I'm not mistaken. I would have posted the Ebay items but Ebay will not let me search for these at the moment.
post #14803 of 17107 Old 11-21-2009, 03:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

pocho, did you read what i linked you to?

the cable will not work... sure, people sell them...

the following isn't meant as preaching, merely putting the reality out there...

there are breakout boxes available (the hd fury comes to mind), but keep in mind they fall in a very grey area when they come to legality, as they are essentially stripping copy protection (drm) from the media... that's a personal decision to make, and i know many are fine with it, and don't want to open that can of worms on this thread (as there are many other threads and forums dedicated to it)... i doubt anyone will show up at your door to take it away though... also, these sometimes have other issues...

- chris

post #14804 of 17107 Old 11-21-2009, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

pocho, did you read what i linked you to?

the cable will not work... sure, people sell them...

the following isn't meant as preaching, merely putting the reality out there...

there are breakout boxes available (the hd fury comes to mind), but keep in mind they fall in a very grey area when they come to legality, as they are essentially stripping copy protection (drm) from the media... that's a personal decision to make, and i know many are fine with it, and don't want to open that can of worms on this thread (as there are many other threads and forums dedicated to it)... i doubt anyone will show up at your door to take it away though... also, these sometimes have other issues...

thank you, yeah that cable converter doesn't work and my guess Ebay took it if off their site as I can't search for it. LUCKILY as I would have been sucked in even though the seller wanted pennies for it plus shipping. And the powered converters are pricey to say the least so I might as well use that money for a new tv set.
post #14805 of 17107 Old 11-22-2009, 12:17 AM

Hey guys,
Does anybody know the voltage preout on the sc 05?
I was thinking about adding separate amp, an emotiva xpa 5, to the sc 05. Has anyone had any problem from the voltage of the sc 05's preouts? Hissing, white noise for example. In the emotiva forum, this halted my decision: http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/i...&page=1#111855
I know there is a 30 day trial but I would like some clarification if the sc 05 can handle the 1.25v of the xpa 5.
post #14806 of 17107 Old 11-22-2009, 04:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

re: pre-outs...

quoting gov from a thread on another forum:

"This is straight from a Pioneer rep

THX certified Pioneer receivers...

output level for -20dBFs input , 0dB VR position => 150mV
output level for -20dBFs input , +12dB VR Position(MAX) => 600mV
output level for 0dBFs input, 0dB VR position => 1.5V"

as far as "hissing/white noise, has anyone had any problems?"... none that i can recall, but not a lot of people are using them, and due to my advancing age, i don't always remember everything i should...

- chris

post #14807 of 17107 Old 11-22-2009, 05:53 AM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:

as far as "hissing/white noise, has anyone had any problems?"... none that i can recall, but not a lot of people are using them, and due to my advancing age, i don't always remember everything i should...

^^^^^ Yeah, what he said

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100,  Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #14808 of 17107 Old 11-22-2009, 08:41 AM

Quote:

Thanks Chris and gov!!
If anyone else wants to chime in about using any other external amps... Any pre/out problems please share! I love this thread thanks guys.
post #14809 of 17107 Old 11-22-2009, 08:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post

^^^^^ Yeah, what he said

lol... at least i credited you for it...

- chris

post #14810 of 17107 Old 11-22-2009, 12:30 PM

Liked: 16
I just bought a Parasound HCA-1203A and have it hooked up to my SC-07 without any noises or problems. Hooked it up and it worked fine, no issues whatsoever. I am not hearing any more noises or hissing than without the external amp anyway.
post #14811 of 17107 Old 11-22-2009, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Member Reviews/Impressions
PAGE 3

Pictures, Speakers and Previous AVR are noted where available
Last updated: 3.13.10

Member Reviews/Impressions PAGE 1
Member Reviews/Impressions PAGE 2

Listed from oldest to newest:
Code:
shane55  (SC-07) Previous AVR: Denon
Speakers: Ascend  340SE x 5
Impression impression2
SC-07 with the Oppo 83 via HDMI

CharlesR:
compared with Onkyo 805  pictures  pictures

JamHandMan (SC-05)
Speakers: Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble III, P1005 Powered Sub
New Setup:MC 305 (3x L-R-C Speakers), Ensemble IV (2x Surround Speakers), P1005 
Ensemble III + P1005 System Combination  Pictures

victor_c26 (SC-07)
Speakers: Polk Monitors SW: VTF-1
First impression

Duggy40 (SC-05) Previous AVR: Yamaha RX-Z9 
Anthem Statement P2 amp 
impression

Fred1966 Pictures

jitu (SC-05) Previous AVR: Sony STR-DG800  Marantz SR-4001
review (with pictures) 
impressions  pictures pictures 

Mark S. (SC-05)
Speaker System: Paradigm Studio 20's; CC590 center, Mini Monitor rears, Paradigm SUB12
Pictures

mhdiab (SC-07)
Speaker system: Intimus 6T F/L/SR, Intimus 6C (C), Bravus 10D SW 
Reveiw and pictures with working setup example of Zone 2 and Zone 3

Raymond G (SC-07)  Previous AVR: Onkyo 805
Review

post #14812 of 17107 Old 11-22-2009, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Added:

Page 3 to Member's reviews.

Jitu: Review with Pictures

WolfDV: Standby LED

post #14813 of 17107 Old 11-22-2009, 06:27 PM

Can somebody tell me why my SC-05 when everything is powered off its still keeping my sub on all night?......my 12 year old Denon didn t have this problem....this is just day 2 of my new AVR........the Def Tech sub is getting some sort of signal keeping it on.......
post #14814 of 17107 Old 11-22-2009, 08:12 PM

Is there a designated pass-through HDMI port on the SC07? I sometimes want to watch TV without the receiver, just using the HDTV speakers. Thanks
post #14815 of 17107 Old 11-23-2009, 05:15 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
^^^
Two things:

1) There is an HDMI sound setting which can be set to "amp" or "through", but even when set to "through", the amp still has to be on. My guess is that's what not you are looking for

2) If your source can do HDMI control, then the SC should be able to do "pass through" of HDMI data without having to turn it on. Probably won't work with most set-top boxes.

Dan.
post #14816 of 17107 Old 11-23-2009, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly2 View Post

Can somebody tell me why my SC-05 when everything is powered off its still keeping my sub on all night?......my 12 year old Denon didn t have this problem....this is just day 2 of my new AVR........the Def Tech sub is getting some sort of signal keeping it on.......

I have an eD A2-300 and it shuts off automatically. The receiver doesn't send any signal to it unless I am playing games or watching movies. Did you have your sw hooked up to another receiver before SC-05? If so, did it shut off automatically or stayed on all night?

bbexperience: "hmm. I don't know. It's hard to notice the sensitivity of the sticks when the controller is flying through the air."
post #14817 of 17107 Old 11-23-2009, 05:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sly2 View Post

Sounds like there might be a problem with your SC, unfortunately (although I don't remember anyone reporting something like this). My SC-07 and now SC-27 did not keep my PSB sub on. Are all your sources off as well? For kicks, before you bring the SC back for exchange/repair, I would try disconnecting all sources from the SC.

Of course, you double-checked that you did not accidentally change a switch/setting in the sub that would make it "always on"?

You might want to get an opinion from DefTech's customer support as well?

Dan.
post #14818 of 17107 Old 11-23-2009, 05:23 AM

We have a four month old pioneer sc07 receiver. It is connected to a panamax surge protector along with rest of our equipment. There was a major power outage in our area & after that the receiver did not come back on but only had a blinking mcacc light. We were almost contacting pioneer to send it for service since that is what the manual says to do when this light is blinking. Then I read about the reset button in this forum. It works!!! ( down arrow + multizone off button for 2 secs).
Why does pioneer not give this out & should I be concerned that I reset the receiver & there might be something else wrong? It looks great to me right now. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks
post #14819 of 17107 Old 11-23-2009, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by info_dan View Post

Sounds like there might be a problem with your SC, unfortunately (although I don't remember anyone reporting something like this). My SC-07 and now SC-27 did not keep my PSB sub on. Are all your sources off as well? For kicks, before you bring the SC back for exchange/repair, I would try disconnecting all sources from the SC.

Of course, you double-checked that you did not accidentally change a switch/setting in the sub that would make it "always on"?

You might want to get an opinion from DefTech's customer support as well?

Dan.

I somehow missed the part where he mentioned that he was using Denon before, so, ignore my question about using a different receiver prior to SC-05. Assuming, the receiver it turned of as well as other sources, the sw shouldn't be kept active by the receiver. I would also check with the sw company for the issue or check the Deftec sw thread for this.

post #14820 of 17107 Old 11-23-2009, 07:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrajku View Post

We have a four month old pioneer sc07 receiver. It is connected to a panamax surge protector along with rest of our equipment. There was a major power outage in our area & after that the receiver did not come back on but only had a blinking mcacc light. We were almost contacting pioneer to send it for service since that is what the manual says to do when this light is blinking. Then I read about the reset button in this forum. It works!!! ( down arrow + multizone off button for 2 secs).
Why does pioneer not give this out & should I be concerned that I reset the receiver & there might be something else wrong? It looks great to me right now. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks

in all likelihood, the blinking mcacc light was indicative of a power supply error during the power on sequence... probably threw an error code when it crashed (or something along those lines)... when you did the hard reset, the error code cleared and all was well...

judging by the fact that it works now, and that others haven't had any issues following resets for the same issue, you should be ok...

as far as "why don't they give that info out?"... you answered your own question...

- chris

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page