Official Pioneer SC-05 and SC-07 Owners Thread - Page 565 - AVS Forum
First ... 563  564  565 566  567  ... Last
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > Official Pioneer SC-05 and SC-07 Owners Thread
Zaxdad's Avatar Zaxdad 07:28 AM 02-26-2012
Hi All.
Figure this would be a good place to ask. I have a 3 year old SC-07. It was refurbished by Pioneer. I'm looking to sell it. I've looked on eBay but the prices are all over the place.Anyone have an idea what a fair price would be?

Thanks for any input,

Howard

ccotenj's Avatar ccotenj 07:50 AM 02-26-2012
^^^

i would ask for 400, and be happy to get 350...
takerna's Avatar takerna 02:48 AM 02-27-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

Your LX81 is doing what it's supposed to do. You cannot get 192 kHz in surround mode, only in two-channel mode due to the codec limitation. Same deal with your SACD discs/iso.

Thanks, Jeffrey.

Just wanted to make sure I was not missing anything. Despite this limitation the receiver sounds very very good to my ears.
Ran_Man's Avatar Ran_Man 04:42 PM 03-29-2012
Greetings!

I've been a proud owner of the SC-05 since it came out and am totally happy with it. Since owning it, I've used a 5.1 setup and decided now to try the 7.1 out just to see how it sounds. I've added two additional speakers and have re-ran through the MCACC setup. I do understand there are not a lot of 7.1 encoded movies, but I hope that changes!

Here's what I'm experiencing which I'm not sure is correct or not. Prior to 7.1, any DD (non Blu-Ray DVD) would be displayed as DD, and for example if I were to play Star Trek (the latest movie) on Blu-Ray it would show as Dolby True HD. Both of these make sense. However, since I changed my setup to 7.1, those same two movies are now being displayed as PCM +PLIIx MV. Is this normal? When checking the audio info on my PS3 while playing each of the movies, it's actually showing each as what it should be, either DD or Dolby True HD. I have my PS3 set to Linear PCM and have all codecs checked. I also have the SC-05 set to autosurround

Interestingly, if I play a Blu-Ray that's encoded in DTS, that appears to being displayed correctly.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Randy
jonnyozero3's Avatar jonnyozero3 04:47 PM 03-29-2012
I have an SC-05 as well.

If I'm recalling correctly (always in doubt ), what your AVR is telling you is that it is taking the DD/DTS (which are both sent to the AVR as PCM, just like before when you were 5.1 only), and using post processing to redirect/add sound from the extra two rear channels.

So:
5.1 = DD/DTS PCM => Shows "Dolby True HD" on front since it has room, for example
7.1 = DD/TDS PCM + Dolby Prologic IIx in Movie mode to get 7.1 = shows shorthand version of effort as "PCM +PLIIx MV"

TL;DR: Your AVR is adding data to create your extra two channels, and this is the shorthand way it explains it to you via the front panel.
Ran_Man's Avatar Ran_Man 05:58 PM 03-29-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyozero3 View Post

I have an SC-05 as well.

If I'm recalling correctly (always in doubt ), what your AVR is telling you is that it is taking the DD/DTS (which are both sent to the AVR as PCM, just like before when you were 5.1 only), and using post processing to redirect/add sound from the extra two rear channels.

So:
5.1 = DD/DTS PCM => Shows "Dolby True HD" on front since it has room, for example
7.1 = DD/TDS PCM + Dolby Prologic IIx in Movie mode to get 7.1 = shows shorthand version of effort as "PCM +PLIIx MV"

TL;DR: Your AVR is adding data to create your extra two channels, and this is the shorthand way it explains it to you via the front panel.

Thanks for the reply! So if I'm understanding you correctly, this is correct not too see the DD or Dolby True HD on the front display given the 7.1 setup? I just want to make sure that I'm not have any AVR issues, or that I don't have it configured correctly.
info_dan's Avatar info_dan 07:37 AM 03-30-2012
Hello Randy,

If your PS3 is set to PCM, then the decoding from Dolby Digital or DTS to PCM is done within the PS3. The AVR will show PCM. It CANNOT show Dolby or DTS, since it cannot know what the PCM was created from.

So if you're saying you were seeing DD or Dolby TrueHD on the AVR with your 5.1 setup, either you're recalling incorrectly, or your PS3 was set to bitstream at that time. (please, no insult intended, just stating facts )

The PLIIx is the indication that Dolby Pro Logic IIx is active, which takes a stereo or 5.1 source and creates a 7.1 signal (see p. 123 of your manual).

For DTS movie, it is possible that the PS3 does not decode DTS and sends the bitstream to the AVR.

So, in conclusion, everything sounds normal according to your settings.

Hope this helps...

Dan.
Ran_Man's Avatar Ran_Man 06:07 PM 03-30-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by info_dan View Post

Hello Randy,

If your PS3 is set to PCM, then the decoding from Dolby Digital or DTS to PCM is done within the PS3. The AVR will show PCM. It CANNOT show Dolby or DTS, since it cannot know what the PCM was created from.

So if you're saying you were seeing DD or Dolby TrueHD on the AVR with your 5.1 setup, either you're recalling incorrectly, or your PS3 was set to bitstream at that time. (please, no insult intended, just stating facts )

The PLIIx is the indication that Dolby Pro Logic IIx is active, which takes a stereo or 5.1 source and creates a 7.1 signal (see p. 123 of your manual).

For DTS movie, it is possible that the PS3 does not decode DTS and sends the bitstream to the AVR.

So, in conclusion, everything sounds normal according to your settings.

Hope this helps...

Dan.

No insults taken Thank you for your advice! I read somewhere's in these millions of posts if a person has a PS3 then set it to LPCM... then on top of it, there is the fat and skinny thing just to make things more complicated. I did make that change after adding the two additional speakers to have 7.1 instead of 5.1 which probably caused the problem. I saw mine was bitstream and changed it to LPCM, but it's quite possible, I should have left to bitstream. I followed your advice and changed it (PS3) to bitstream, and after so, I re-watched Star Trek, and yes, the front display changed somewhat to DD HD + PLIIx MV instead of the PCM + the other stuff.

So, I think I'm good? Agreed?
info_dan's Avatar info_dan 07:42 AM 03-31-2012
You're good, but you were just as good before. Because you're connected through HDMI (right?) and transmitting data digitally on a connection that has the proper bandwith, whether the decoding is done in the PS3 or the AVR should have not effect on sound quality, so you did not really have a "problem" before.

Dan.
Neodymium's Avatar Neodymium 04:45 PM 04-09-2012
Hi all,

I have a PS3, an ATV1, and an HD-PVR connected to my SC-05 via HDMI as well as a Wii connected via component. My kids and I were playing the PS3 this afternoon when all sound abruptly cut out. I now am unable to get sound out of any of my HDMI-connected devices. However, sound is normal from the Wii.

I have tried powering down, swapping HDMI inputs (including plugging into the one previously-unused HDMI input), and using "Signal Select" to ensure that HDMI audio is selected. Video from any of my HDMI sources is flawless, but none of them have sound.

Any advice? Thanks in advance.
s-one's Avatar s-one 07:47 AM 04-10-2012
Welcome to the forum.

I had a similar problem but related to my set top box. All of a sudden it would cut out. I don't know why but my HDMI cable that I used for some 2-3 years with no problem all of a sudden stopped working and as soon as I swapped it out it worked fine ever since. So if you haven't already try using a different HDMI cable to see if that helps.
Gov's Avatar Gov 12:15 PM 04-14-2012
Anyone interested, looking to unload a mint SC-05. Shoot me a PM. This has been a great receiver!
dlstern's Avatar dlstern 08:05 PM 04-20-2012
I hope this is proper protocol for a new post. Forgive the novice if it isn't. But, I have an SC-05, with Zone 2 + amplifier connected to outdoor speakers. The only input that works for the zone is the Tuner. Are there any thoughts on why I can't play for instance the Comcast signal, the Apple TV signal, or other signals? Am I programming the inputs incorrectly? If it plays the Tuner input, why wouldn't it be able to play the Apple TV or Comcast inputs to the Zone?

Any thoughts? Much appreciated.
smurraybhm's Avatar smurraybhm 08:37 PM 04-20-2012
From HDMI?
ccotenj's Avatar ccotenj 08:56 PM 04-20-2012
^^^

that'd be my guess... good call...

op, only analog external sources will go to zone 2... hdmi is a no go...
Gov's Avatar Gov 10:51 AM 04-22-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post

Anyone interested, looking to unload a mint SC-05. Shoot me a PM. This has been a great receiver!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280867255839...84.m1555.l2649
dlstern's Avatar dlstern 06:22 PM 04-23-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^

that'd be my guess... good call...

op, only analog external sources will go to zone 2... hdmi is a no go...

So then, does that mean I can't get anything that is HDMI input to output in Zone 2? The receiver can't convert the HDMI input into analog output in Zone 2?
ccotenj's Avatar ccotenj 08:40 PM 04-23-2012
^^^

that is correct...

if it makes you feel any better, nothing can do true zone processing from a hdmi input...
C6H12O6's Avatar C6H12O6 10:37 PM 04-30-2012
Not sure if this is the right place for this, but I'll give it a shot.

SC-05 worked great last night. Turned it on today and no sound. Tried everything I could imagine, thinking the dog stepped on the remote again. No dice. The only way I can get any sound from any input is to set it to Pure Direct. I tried resetting it to factory specs and the problem persists. I did get a high-pitched squeal when clicking around to other settings a couple times. Seemed louder on some settings than others, but no sound other than the squeal, which seems to go away when you turn the receiver off.

Back to Pioneer? No warranty. Any guesses what this might be? I'm thinking something in the sound processor board. Worth the repair cost?
tbraden32's Avatar tbraden32 01:34 PM 05-03-2012
Can the SC-07 have different frequencies for each speaker? IE: LCRs set to 80Hz and surrounds set to 100Hz?
ccotenj's Avatar ccotenj 01:53 PM 05-03-2012
^^^

no...
JamHandMan's Avatar JamHandMan 08:10 AM 05-04-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlstern View Post

So then, does that mean I can't get anything that is HDMI input to output in Zone 2? The receiver can't convert the HDMI input into analog output in Zone 2?

There is a workaround, but you will lose the Zones, just set the outdoor speakers are "Speaker B"

Speakers A and B will both get the HDMI audio.. I think.. I forget, it's been a while since I attempted to play a blu-ray, but I know when I play a CD with the audio over HDMI it works.
ben2e's Avatar ben2e 01:46 AM 05-07-2012
Is there any way to power a second set of speakers in an adjacent room (without a 2nd amp). OK, nobody laugh. I'm just using the front two channels of my SC-05. I'd love to use the same receiver to power a pair of speakers in an adjacent dining room (no walls). I know I can get a used SC-05 for spare change these days, I'd just love to not have to have another stack of boxes and don't really have space for it. I had the probably crazy idea I could switch the speaker output via the receiver, maybe using the surrounds which I don't use right now. I realize I can get an external switch, just wanted to explore my options. The zone2,3 outputs don't look like they do this.
JamHandMan's Avatar JamHandMan 10:35 AM 05-07-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2e View Post

Is there any way to power a second set of speakers in an adjacent room (without a 2nd amp). OK, nobody laugh. I'm just using the front two channels of my SC-05. I'd love to use the same receiver to power a pair of speakers in an adjacent dining room (no walls). I know I can get a used SC-05 for spare change these days, I'd just love to not have to have another stack of boxes and don't really have space for it. I had the probably crazy idea I could switch the speaker output via the receiver, maybe using the surrounds which I don't use right now. I realize I can get an external switch, just wanted to explore my options. The zone2,3 outputs don't look like they do this.

Did you read by above post? Just use the speaker B output. I can't open the pdf here, so I can't give you the page number, but maybe someone else can.
info_dan's Avatar info_dan 04:54 AM 05-08-2012
Speaker B setup for the SC-05 is described on page 64 of the manual.

Dan.
eyesofra's Avatar eyesofra 07:01 AM 06-21-2012
Guys,

I just got my self some kimber 4tc cables which is long enough that I can make them into a pair of 8tc-biwire or separate 4tc runs in bi-amp configuration for my SC-05.

But I remembered reading that Kimber cables typically have higher capacitance due to their weaved-wire nature. Which could cause oscillation with some " lower end " amplifiers.

Has anyone used 4tc/8tc with their SC ICE receivers ? Do they exhibit any weird issues or even experienced failure ?

Appreciate the reply

p/s : The fronts are just Wharfy Diamonds ( nothing difficult to drive )
tbraden32's Avatar tbraden32 08:19 PM 07-05-2012
HELP....sitting here watching a MKV movie from My HTPC and my Pio SC-07 just shuts down during a loud scene. Only watching the movie at a reasonable level of -15. I restart it, lower volume to -19 and it powers off again, totally! Only little red light blinking.

I have the SC-07 hooked up to Emo XPA-3 driving my front LCRs. Can't it really be going into safe mode? Confused!!

info_dan's Avatar info_dan 03:40 PM 07-06-2012
"Only little red light blinking": Which one?

Double-check the tips & steps described on page 112 of the manual (especially loose speaker strands).

Does turning on the "digital safety feature" changes anything?

Dan.
tbraden32's Avatar tbraden32 07:25 AM 07-07-2012
Out of town till Monday but will check that when I get back and see if it will act up again.

The light was in lower left corner.
nexpos's Avatar nexpos 04:19 PM 07-15-2012
I've been searching online for a bit, and on here so if you want to yell at me about asking a common question - it's ok!

Will my SC-05 (got it 2009) work with a wireless ethernet dongle that has the LAN OUT function, like the NETGEAR WNCE2001?
First ... 563  564  565 566  567  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop