post #1921 of 17105 Old 10-31-2008, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

lol... yea, i hear you... but bravely, i forged forward...

no issues thus far...

Trust me, I thought about it last night, but chickened out because of how much I have customized the buttons for all my activities.

Juan

My HT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1922 of 17105 Old 10-31-2008, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markabuckley View Post

can someone confirm what the US equivalents of the UK models are please ?

SC-07
SC-05

vs UK

sc-lx71
sc-lx81

thanks, Mark.

markabuckley,

The SC-05 is the SC-LX71
The SC-07 is the SC-LX81
The SC-09 is the SC-LX90TX

"you're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me"
Questions about the SC-07 or SC-05? start here
post #1923 of 17105 Old 10-31-2008, 08:01 AM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Why get hung up on this GUI stuff? I mean, how much will you be bringing it up? Once its set up and dialed in to your liking the GUI is basically forgotten about.
I am extremely happy with the SQ on my SC-05. I sold my Emotiva amp and strictly use the SC-05 now for amplification. I have no regrets. SQ should be everyones main objective. There is usually some kind of work around for other things.

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100,  Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #1924 of 17105 Old 10-31-2008, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

you got it...

yup, the sc-07 is defined as a device as well (i just set one up to try it)...

at a quick glance, it appears as if all the commands are shared between the 05 and the 07...

Much appreciated!
Will update front page. Thanks!

post #1925 of 17105 Old 10-31-2008, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Gov
Quote:

SQ should be everyones main objective

+1
But I will add, that in the looks department, it's absolutely gorgeous as well!

post #1926 of 17105 Old 10-31-2008, 08:17 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Quote:

I've put quite a bit of work into mine, too.

Juan, have you figured out a way (with the Harmony One) to link surround modes or MCAAC presets to specific input sources?

No I have not, I have a 688, but The One is in my wish list. What I have done is setup the buttons that change the surround formats, music and direct buttons on the second screen of my Harmony remote for every activity. This way, I can change the sound format no matter what activity I use. I am also pretty happy with the results of the MCACC so I have not messed with it much. I do plan to play with it though, just not enough time in the day.

Yah, that's what I've done, too. My wife's going to go crazy pretty soon, as I keep playing audio tracks for 30 seconds (or the same scene from Iron Man) and then changing the surround or the MCAAC setup. Sigh.

I just wish that these buttons on the remote weren't "cycle mode" toggles. Or that there was some way to program in codes that would select a discrete surround mode or MCAAC preset.
post #1927 of 17105 Old 10-31-2008, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Juan, rw88:
Maybe a dumb question... but is there a way to translate the IR code and Pronto HEX codes into something the Harmony can understand?
I thought Harmony (Logitech) used to do that for you if you emailed the codes to tech support...
Reason I'm asking, is that the IR/HEX Codes on Pioneer's site have individual codes for just about every combination and setting so you don't have to toggle...

post #1928 of 17105 Old 10-31-2008, 08:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan View Post

Trust me, I thought about it last night, but chickened out because of how much I have customized the buttons for all my activities.

well, i cannot lie, i did sit here and spend a few hours last night while watching basketball getting all the activity buttons back the way i wanted them...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #1929 of 17105 Old 10-31-2008, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHP_VR View Post

Juan, rw88:
Maybe a dumb question... but is there a way to translate the IR code and Pronto HEX codes into something the Harmony can understand?
I thought Harmony (Logitech) used to do that for you if you emailed the codes to tech support...
Reason I'm asking, is that the IR/HEX Codes on Pioneer's site have individual codes for just about every combination and setting so you don't have to toggle...

I am sure you can, but I don't really need discrete codes right now, would be fun to play with something like that though.

Juan

My HT
post #1930 of 17105 Old 10-31-2008, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

well, i cannot lie, i did sit here and spend a few hours last night while watching basketball getting all the activity buttons back the way i wanted them...

Funny, I was watching basketball as I thought about it.

Juan

My HT
post #1931 of 17105 Old 10-31-2008, 08:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHP_VR View Post

Juan, rw88:

if you happen to have another remote lying around that can learn pronto codes, yea... you could learn the codes to that remote and then have the harmony learn them from that...

kludgey, at best... but people have used this method with success...

edit: if you call tech support, and happen to get the right person, you can get the codes added to your profile. judging from what others have said about this process, eventually you get what you want, but it can sometimes take awhile... ymmv....

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #1932 of 17105 Old 10-31-2008, 08:46 AM

I'll explore the Harmony tech support if I can find the discrete codes from the Pioneer site. Thanks, guys... I will let you know if it works.
post #1933 of 17105 Old 10-31-2008, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakenergy View Post

Filmmixer,

What crossover are you using for the SC-07 with your minis? Are the minis in a home theater set up?

80Hz and yes..

With the standing wave EQ and time alignment, I don't mind "bypassing" the Mini's woofers down low.
post #1934 of 17105 Old 10-31-2008, 09:17 AM
RCJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post

Why get hung up on this GUI stuff? I mean, how much will you be bringing it up? Once its set up and dialed in to your liking the GUI is basically forgotten about.
I am extremely happy with the SQ on my SC-05. I sold my Emotiva amp and strictly use the SC-05 now for amplification. I have no regrets. SQ should be everyones main objective. There is usually some kind of work around for other things.

What speakers are you using with your SC-05. Do you have a 5.1 setup?
post #1935 of 17105 Old 10-31-2008, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloe Vera View Post

I really want to pull the trigger on the Pioneers, but the lack of a GUI for settings is the main thing holding me back. That and the HDMI that doesn't upconvert. Does anyone know if all the high end Denon models do the HDMI upconversion to 1080p as well as the analog?

The Denon's upconvert all inputs... It just works.

I've owned, in the last 18 months, a Denon 5308, 4308, Onkyo 905, Pioneer SC09 and now SC07...

The Denon's are great sounding receivers... a lot of other mixers use them for their home theater setups.

Lets see....

Quote:

--"Sound quality is completely unnacceptable for this price range."--
--"Terribly harsh, gritty, and sibilant with a condensed soundstage."--
--"The desire to make this receiver sound dynamic and super treble heavy to draw the average joe (that doesn't realize his ears will bleed after a few days of subjecting himself to it), has ruined what should have been a solid performer."--
--"if you want to do some music listening, you should loook elsewhere. "--

I think that some of this might come from improper Audyssey set up... the Denon sound isn't as warm as the Pioneer.... it's isn't that bad though.

My next product will be the Denon preamp.

Quote:

--"Clunky web interface"--

Last time I checked, it was the only AVR to have any web interface.... and while not polished, you can do everything you want, and tweak away... I found it pretty cool.

Quote:

--"The video processing is not be the best"--
--"The unit needs plenty of cooling room beause it runs hot be careful where you place it."--

The video processing is on line with all other vendors choices... the Realta in the 5308 is pretty spectacular.

Yes... it needs plenty of room for cooling... all of these units with the newer video processors do... the Onkyos run very hot..

The Pioneer is cool to the touch if you have good side ventilation on it.

Quote:

--"Impossibly complex"--
--"It took me three days and a phone call to Denon to get the FM radio to work."--

The Denon works just like the Pioneer... plug the mic in, and it runs auto setup.

If you want to tweak, there is tons to do.. but you don't need to get in there if you don't want.

Obviously the last person doesn't know how to read a manual... the Denon is unique in that it has two separate tuners for FM and HD Radio... so you can use them discretely in different zones, which is a cool feature, but requires the remote be configured for what tuner you want to use...... it requires a change on the remote, just like changing the SC07 remote to Source mode to use Home Media Gallery.

BTW. the Denon remotes aren't great... but that seems par for the course for most manufacturers now a days..

Look.. I'm not here to defend Denon in this Pioneer thread...

It seems like the best solution for you and your needs.... and I think those quotes are out of line of what most owners here have experienced.... read the owners threads.

In my room (which stinks acoustically) I benefit from the added controls of MCACC and love the way the ICE amps sound.. as I said before, I have a pretty particular ear, and liked the Denon's...
post #1936 of 17105 Old 10-31-2008, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For me, I miss it... how do you know what MCACC mode you are in, or what surround mode you are in, or if Pure Direct is on, what my volume level is, etc..... I used it all the time, and the SC07, in my room, is behind me, so I have to stand up and turn around to see what is going on when changing things.

I agree it's not a necessity.. but an interesting design choice that all other AVR's in this class have.
post #1937 of 17105 Old 10-31-2008, 09:39 AM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

For me, I miss it... how do you know what MCACC mode you are in, or what surround mode you are in, or if Pure Direct is on, what my volume level is, etc..... I used it all the time, and the SC07, in my room, is behind me, so I have to stand up and turn around to see what is going on when changing things.

I agree it's not a necessity.. but an interesting design choice that all other AVR's in this class have.

Good point!
In my room, I can pretty much see everything on the front display. Obviously in your case that sounds quite difficult.

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100,  Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #1938 of 17105 Old 10-31-2008, 09:41 AM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCJ View Post

What speakers are you using with your SC-05. Do you have a 5.1 setup?

Ascend Acoustics 340SE across the front and 200SE's in the rear. It is a 5.1 set up.

post #1939 of 17105 Old 10-31-2008, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

I've been working on this for a while now with some other users off thread.... but I've found a bit of an issue with our beloved SC07's.

It isn't up converting 720p or 1080i component to 1080p over HDMI... it works fine for 480i or 480p over component.

If you are set to Auto it puts out 720p or 1080i... if you try and change the output resolution to 1080p, the Pioneer says "Not Supported."

I checked the manual, and found this nebulous foot note on page 92.

Quote:
1For high-definition video (using component video connections), or when digital video conversion is switched off (in Setting the Video options
on page98), you must connect your TV to this receiver using the same type of video cable as you used to connect your video component.

Doesn't make a lot of sense...

I hadn't been using my component inputs until I heard about this issue, but can confirm it in my setup.
post #1940 of 17105 Old 10-31-2008, 09:51 AM

You guys have put a great deal of good information in this thread. I was pretty set on getting a Denon 3808CI until I ran into this thread. Now, I clearly need to go look at and hear the SCs.

Some Questions to help me seperate the two:

1) I like uncompressed (volume and frequency) audio, but when the wife is around, the Audyssey Volume module sounded pretty perfect. During movies I'm constantly turning the volume up for vocals and down for special effects. Is the THX Loudness Plus similar in that it compresses the highs and lows in volume? And can you easily turn it on and off?

2) Upconversion. People seem to think the upconversion is the weak point of this series. I wouldn't mind some analog upconversion, but would rather have the HDMI just pass through. Is there anything I'd be missing here?

3) Kuro. Is there any advantage of having an SC AVR to go with my Kuro Plasma?

Quote:

Ascend Acoustics 340SE across the front and 200SE's in the rear. It is a 5.1 set up.

That is almost my setup. I have 340SEs in front, but polk TC60i's in the ceiling sides and rears (7.1). It sounds like you like the SC-05 with those speakers.
post #1941 of 17105 Old 10-31-2008, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

I've been working on this for a while now with some other users off thread.... but I've found a bit of an issue with our beloved SC07's.

It isn't up converting 720p or 1080i component to 1080p over HDMI... it works fine for 480i or 480p over component.

If you are set to Auto it puts out 720p or 1080i... if you try and change the output resolution to 1080p, the Pioneer says "Not Supported."

I checked the manual, and found this nebulous foot note on page 92.

Doesn't make a lot of sense...

I hadn't been using my component inputs until I heard about this issue, but can confirm it in my setup.

That's one of the reasons I've been a proponent of straight "like for like" video pass through with no AVR video processing. I've always felt that any video processing (or upconversion) should be done at the source. My Oppo player upconverts my SD DVDs. PS3 will upconvert them if I used it for DVD playback.

The downside is with my Time Warner Scientific Atlanta 8300 HD STB. If a program is being broadcast in 480, it's being output to my KURO at 480. I've seen some of the HD channels broadcast 480 material in 720 or 1080, and for the most part, I wasn't that impressed.

That said, I've never seen what something like the Realta chip could do to SD material. Maybe I'm missing something. But, on the other hand, I've heard just as many people complain about upconverting video technology as I've heard of people who swear by it....whether it's Realta or Faroujda.

Even my Oppo can't help a SD DVD that's been poorly transfered. If it looked (sounded) like garbage going in, it still looks like garbage coming out.

Music so high you can't get over it....music so low you can't get under it!
post #1942 of 17105 Old 10-31-2008, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurylian View Post

1) I like uncompressed (volume and frequency) audio, but when the wife is around, the Audyssey Volume module sounded pretty perfect. During movies I'm constantly turning the volume up for vocals and down for special effects. Is the THX Loudness Plus similar in that it compresses the highs and lows in volume? And can you easily turn it on and off?

2) Upconversion. People seem to think the upconversion is the weak point of this series. I wouldn't mind some analog upconversion, but would rather have the HDMI just pass through. Is there anything I'd be missing here?

1. Dynamic Volume is not the same as THX Loudness Plus...

THX Loudness Plus and Dynamic EQ (another Audyssey tech) compensate the eq characteristics and relative level balances as you turn the volume down, so the highs and lows, as well as surrounds and LFE, sound similar as it can to reference... at least that the idea.

2. The SC's don't touch the HDMI video sources.
post #1943 of 17105 Old 10-31-2008, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Gov....I'm curious about the above. I'm on the pre-order list for the new UMC-1 pre/pro, which I'm going to partner with my now boxed up LPA-1 amp. The 40% off for the UMC is too good to pass up.

I love the LPA amp, however. I know that there's damn little, from my perspective anyway, differences in sound regarding amplifiers. There are those who will disagree with me vehemently on that point. But, I feel the pre-pro affects the sound much more than any amplifier will.

What I do like about the LPA is the way it handles transients. I'm single, so there aren't any people around to tell me to "turn that down" (except for my son, but he doesn't count....;-). I play music/movies loud. Any comments regarding the ICE amps vs the Emotiva?

I did have issues with the previous LMC pre-pro. None with the LPA amp, though.

Music so high you can't get over it....music so low you can't get under it!
post #1944 of 17105 Old 10-31-2008, 10:28 AM

Quote:
1. Dynamic Volume is not the same as THX Loudness Plus...

So the SCs do not have anything such as dynamic volume? Can those loud commercials get quietened by the SCs?
post #1945 of 17105 Old 10-31-2008, 10:37 AM

Quote:

THX Loudness Plus and Dynamic EQ (another Audyssey tech) compensate the eq characteristics and relative level balances as you turn the volume down, so the highs and lows, as well as surrounds and LFE, sound similar as it can to reference... at least that the idea.

Thanks. That makes sense. I would love it if they had a dynamic volume function, but most of the problems we had with volume management were with my old system where I had to crank the old center channel speakers to +5 just to hear the vocals. With my new Ascend 340SEs (even with my old receiver), the vocals are so much clearer it may not be an issue.
post #1946 of 17105 Old 10-31-2008, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakenergy View Post

So the SCs do not have anything such as dynamic volume? Can those loud commercials get quietened by the SCs?

Almost every receiver has a Dynamic Range Control / Late Night mode you can engage to help with this..

But it doesn't have an equivalent type of feature.
post #1947 of 17105 Old 10-31-2008, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

I've got a small quirk I've noticed last night but hopefully it's an easy fix. I've noticed that when I switch to my DirecTivo connected through HDMI, I believe HDMI3, it defaults the audio to be Prologic Movie rather than just Prologic. I have another device hooked up to component and optical which it does remember to keep at regular Prologic. Is there some way to set the receiver so it remembers to keep it at Prologic and not Prologic movie when using my DirecTivo? It's a bit irritating to have to pull out the remote to change it every time.
post #1948 of 17105 Old 10-31-2008, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknight View Post

I've got a small quirk I've noticed last night but hopefully it's an easy fix. I've noticed that when I switch to my DirecTivo connected through HDMI, I believe HDMI3, it defaults the audio to be Prologic Movie rather than just Prologic. I have another device hooked up to component and optical which it does remember to keep at regular Prologic. Is there some way to set the receiver so it remembers to keep it at Prologic and not Prologic movie when using my DirecTivo? It's a bit irritating to have to pull out the remote to change it every time.

Is one input set to Standard and one Auto?
post #1949 of 17105 Old 10-31-2008, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Posted 10/30/08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

I have a review of the SC-05 coming up. It's video processing is a bit of a let down, but it's a phenomenal value and packs a lot of punch. It delivers flagship performance at an affordable (relatively) price. It's in editing now and should hit the site next week.

This should show in UltimateAVMag next week...

post #1950 of 17105 Old 10-31-2008, 11:53 AM

Hi all, could some one please post some general initial settings. I know zero about A/V stuff. What I have is a 151FD, a SC-05 and a 05FD. I want them to all work as they should and not have anyone mis-configured to hinder the others. Does that make sense? All HDMI I believe.

Thanks!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page