post #2041 of 17113 Old 11-04-2008, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by welwynnick View Post

I think nits pretty clear that the PSUs are different (700W vs 630W according to Pioneer) but the power amps are the same (same max power with only one or two channels driven together). The parts listed didnt' appear to relate to power supplies, unless I missed something.

Nick

I think that's what Pioneer is rating the power supply. It maps dead on to the SC 05 being rated 10W less across the board vs the SC 07. For all we know, they could sport the same exact power supplies, too.

Until some publication puts both these units on a test bench and compares them, no one is really going to know for sure if or what these AVRs are capable of.

Music so high you can't get over it....music so low you can't get under it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2042 of 17113 Old 11-04-2008, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
have there been any pictures posted of the inside of the SC-05 ?
post #2043 of 17113 Old 11-04-2008, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

PQLS is Precision Quartz Lock System. This Pioneers name for a family of industry-standard digital audio interface protocols. This is Pioneer's explanation, but it doesn't really get to the core of the problem or the benefit:
First thing to understand is that PQLS is applied to different physical interfaces. It was first applied to IEEE 1394 firewire, and more commonly known as i-link. It is now applied to HDMI, and does much the same thing.

Second thing is that its not proprietary to Pioneer, though to their credit they have usually been first to introduce it. Sony have the same thing with their players and amps, but they call it HATS. Other manufacturers sometimes have their own names, but this isn't very helpful, as its deceptive and confusing.

Third thing is that it changes the architecture of the digital audio replay chain. You can't just add PQLS or whatever to a player or an amp in isolation and get it to work. Both units have to use it. You're not necessarily limited to same-make pairings, though.

The change in architecture comes from the position of the audio master clock. Conventionally, this is in the player, and the timing info from the clock travels over the digital audio link to the amp, where it is used by the DACs to regenerate the analogue audio signal. This is convenient, legacy method of carrying digital audio, but also a poor one. With SPDIF, the audio data corrupts the audio clock, and with HDMI, the video clock corrupts the audio clock (in simple terms!).

All this is bad, and causes jitter, which degrades the SQ. The root cause of the problem lies with the clock being in the transport, instead of the amp. The clock signal travels to the amp to achieve syncronisation between them, but that journey causes jitter. What's ideal is a master clock at the DAC, in the amp. The transport should then be synchronised to the amp, rather than the other way round. So ideally, the clock should travel from the amp to the player, not the other way rfound.

This is what PQLS achieves. A PQLS receiver contains the master audio clock, and timing info is transmitted from the amp the transport. Therefore the transport is "synchronised" to the amp (albeit loosely). This architecture is quite good enough to ensure all the data is read and relayed accurately, but now the master clock is alongside the DACs, and will suffer minimal degradation. This doesn't eliminate jitter, but it does eliminate the jitter from the transport. This is simply because the trasnport if only generating audio data (ones and zeros) and is no longer generating the audio clock.

This is brilliant, but sadly it only works with audio discs. With DVD & BDs, the player still has to generate the clock because the audio has to be synchronised to the video.

Nick

Nick,
Thanks for the great explaination!
Adding link to first page.

"you're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me"
Questions about the SC-07 or SC-05? start here
post #2044 of 17113 Old 11-04-2008, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicguy View Post

Until some publication puts both these units on a test bench and compares them, no one is really going to know for sure if or what these AVRs are capable of.

Agree 100%, hopefully we get our first review (SC-05) this week from Dave Vaughn in Ultimate AVMag.

Update from Dave Vaughn: Review should be ready Friday or Monday. CHP

post #2045 of 17113 Old 11-04-2008, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked: 593
While I think your post contains some good information, I think there are some basic inaccuracies.

Quote:

Second thing is that its not proprietary to Pioneer, though to their credit they have usually been first to introduce it. Sony have the same thing with their players and amps, but they call it HATS. Other manufacturers sometimes have their own names, but this isn't very helpful, as its deceptive and confusing.

How can you say it's not proprietary? It's a two way HDMI communication that only works with four products in the Pioneer line up. PQLS is a proprietary Pioneer trade name for it's tech, and doesn't describe any kind of industry standard.

You can't use the PQLS feature with non-Pioneer equipment... which makes it proprietary. It's not a standard like 1394.

The idea isn't unique (like Denon's D-Link, which was one of the first to market) but other manufacturers aren't just name branding it.. these are unique variants to get the same job done (eliminating jitter) using proprietary tech to accomplish it.

Quote:

You're not necessarily limited to same-make pairings, though.

With the Denon and Pioneer implimentation, you sure are.

There are very few pieces of gear that allow for external clock inputs, which surprises me. That is the true audiophile solution.

Quote:

With SPDIF, the audio data corrupts the audio clock

I've never heard that the data is what is the cause of jitter... it is the lack of a common clock, not the audio.

And SPDIF has no clock. Biphase mark code is not a clock.

Jitter is a temporal error, not data degradation.

Most high end processors (Denon AVP and Anthem D2, for example) reclock digital inputs anyways.

Quote:

The clock signal travels to the amp to achieve syncronisation between them, but that journey causes jitter. What's ideal is a master clock at the DAC, in the amp.

The clock signal doesn't travel between the transport and and AVR/SSP in most cases... it is PCM, and that is what is susceptable to jitter, not a "clock signal."

Quote:

The transport should then be synchronised to the amp, rather than the other way round. So ideally, the clock should travel from the amp to the player, not the other way rfound.

It really isn't important where the clock is.. what is important is that all digital pieces of gear in a chain share the same clock...

Quote:

This is brilliant, but sadly it only works with audio discs. With DVD & BDs, the player still has to generate the clock because the audio has to be synchronised to the video.

It's not as important that it works for BR and DVD if you are bitstreaming (although PCM is susceptible to it)..

Jitter has nothing to do with AV syncronization... a frame of video contains 48,000 24 bit audio words per channel... jitter occurs at the thousands of a second level.

Bitstream codecs are immune to jitter...
post #2046 of 17113 Old 11-04-2008, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, what FilmMixer said about PQLS. All these HDMI receivers buffer and reclock the PCM. As long as the buffer is big enough, PQLS isn't needed. In dr1394's testing, he played a whole CD with the older firewire Pioneer combo and never saw a single 'speed up' or 'slow down' command meaning the buffer never overflowed or underflowed and PQLS wasn't required with that combo. Until I see some actual jitter measurements, I'll remain skeptical that the 'improved sound' with PQLS is anything more than the placebo effect. Pioneer didn't think it was big enough a deal to include it on the flagship 09.

About the sound differences between the 05 and 07, I'd say it's in the digital audio board if anywhere. They are different part numbers and that's the only difference that can't be explained by differences in the number of outputs. Maybe that Burr Brown upsampling chip is the only difference or there may be more differences such as DACs, etc.

I think the ICE amp's switching power supply is built into the amp board except for the transformer. The 05 and 07 have the same amp boards and transformers so the amps should be the same unless Pioneer intentionally crippled the 05 somehow. Dave Vaughn is testing the 05 so we should know what it will do pretty soon.

Dennis H
post #2047 of 17113 Old 11-04-2008, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Catapult, not disagreeing with anything you say, but I don't think PQLS was available when the SC-09 came out.. the BDP-51/05FD and SC-05/07 were designed very closely together and basically brand new, at least if you believe any of the initial press releases. I think the SC-09 uses Firewire to acheive the same thing, doesn't it?
I remember there was quite a bit of discussion on the SC-09 threads when PQLS was first mentioned for the new SC-05/07 and 05/52 combos on the new line and wasn't available for the SC-09..

post #2048 of 17113 Old 11-04-2008, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

FilmMixer, added your counterpoints to the front page link.

post #2049 of 17113 Old 11-04-2008, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

The thing is the Pioneer players and receivers most likely use the same clock chip so the combo that provides PQLS capability is the one least likely to need it. It might be handy if the player's clock was ever so slightly different from the receiver's, say using different brands, but PQLS won't work with different brands. When the subject came up with the 09, the Pioneer rep said the receiver had adequate jitter prevention (read big buffer) and it wasn't needed. It may be the best thing since sliced bread but I'm skeptical that it's much more than marketing given how it never actually kicked in and did anything in bench testing of its firewire incarnation.

Dennis H
post #2050 of 17113 Old 11-04-2008, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
are the GUIs the same on the 05 and 07 please ?

I really like the simple but smart look of these GUIs - certainly beats white text

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHP_VR View Post

Some pics of the MCACC after "Advance MCACC" calibration

Speaker setup

Reverb screen (Center Speaker)

Standing Wave

Group Delay (All)

I'm hoping to install the pioneer software tonight if I have time. Objective: for communication with the rs232 port....anyone have experience with this?

post #2051 of 17113 Old 11-04-2008, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^^^
Yes, they are the same for the SC-05 and SC-07

post #2052 of 17113 Old 11-04-2008, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

CHP_VR - stonking thanks

looks really nice

Quote:

^^^
Yes, they are the same for the SC-05 and SC-07

post #2053 of 17113 Old 11-04-2008, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

ps would still love to know what DACs either of these use ... (I know its not the major factor towards SQ - but is a factor) - just interested if they've keep the 1791s like the Denons etc, or gone with the Wolfsons from their BD range ...

would be nice if the latter but I guess not

my Arcam uses Wolfson DACs and I do like the sound of them
post #2054 of 17113 Old 11-04-2008, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^^^
maybe a PM to David Vaughn since he has a SC-05 in review now, and I would think direct access to Pioneer engineering?

post #2055 of 17113 Old 11-04-2008, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

thanks will try that no harm

I contacted Pioneer on last range of models before people on here looked inside - and they would not tell me I can understand company secrets regarding some areas of the design - but what DACs they use are obvious if anyone opens the top - unless they are hidden underneath a heatsink which I've never seen

Quote:

^^^
maybe a PM to David Vaughn since he has a SC-05 in review now, and I would think direct access to Pioneer engineering?

post #2056 of 17113 Old 11-04-2008, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by catapult View Post

The thing is the Pioneer players and receivers most likely use the same clock chip so the combo that provides PQLS capability is the one least likely to need it. It might be handy if the player's clock was ever so slightly different from the receiver's, say using different brands, but PQLS won't work with different brands. When the subject came up with the 09, the Pioneer rep said the receiver had adequate jitter prevention (read big buffer) and it wasn't needed. It may be the best thing since sliced bread but I'm skeptical that it's much more than marketing given how it never actually kicked in and did anything in bench testing of its firewire incarnation.

Having been one of those who experienced Pioneer's short lived firewire implementation (I-Line) with the 59 series of Elite AVR and DVD multiformat player, I noticed little (if any) SQ difference between analog connections vs I-Link.

What it did do, however, was to take 7 wires from AVR to DVD player (analog connections) down to 1 wire (I-Link). Now, there could have been sonic differences with another set up different than mine. But, it was more of a convenience factor (and, taking away any associated issues of using more wires) than a sonic one for me.

How this relates to PQLS with the SC and BD hookup is unknown to me. I'll defer to FilmMixer's and catapult's posts for that.

From my admittedly less than technical knowledge (at least less than FilmMixer's), I've yet to hear a piece of gear in the last 5 years where "jitter" truly affected SQ. That said, I've not auditioned nearly the amount of equipment that FilmMixer has.

Music so high you can't get over it....music so low you can't get under it!
post #2057 of 17113 Old 11-04-2008, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

didn't one website - can't remember which one do a test for jitter effecting waveform output - and couldnt' see any difference at all ..

in fact I think they even tried "dropping" the CD player whillst playing and it made no difference ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicguy View Post

Having been one of those who experienced Pioneer's short lived firewire implementation (I-Line) with the 59 series of Elite AVR and DVD multiformat player, I noticed little (if any) SQ difference between analog connections vs I-Link.

What it did do, however, was to take 7 wires from AVR to DVD player (analog connections) down to 1 wire (I-Link). Now, there could have been sonic differences with another set up different than mine. But, it was more of a convenience factor (and, taking away any associated issues of using more wires) than a sonic one for me.

How this relates to PQLS with the SC and BD hookup is unknown to me. I'll defer to FilmMixer's and catapult's posts for that.

From my admittedly less than technical knowledge (at least less than FilmMixer's), I've yet to hear a piece of gear in the last 5 years where "jitter" truly affected SQ. That said, I've not auditioned nearly the amount of equipment that FilmMixer has.

post #2058 of 17113 Old 11-04-2008, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I dunno... It very well could be a plecebo effect, but I hear a difference.. and I'm not the only one who has said so.... It just could be the 51/05 is one heck of the CD transport and integrates very well with the SC-07/05 ICE AMPS.. I find the music has more resolution for lack of a better word with the PQLS enabled. Just my opinion.

post #2059 of 17113 Old 11-04-2008, 01:06 PM

Liked: 10
Wow, you guys are really good. I appreciate the answers and debate but on my basic level is PQLS a function that I must set or is it automatically on when required? Thanks again.
post #2060 of 17113 Old 11-04-2008, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrbust View Post

Wow, you guys are really good. I appreciate the answers and debate but on my basic level is PQLS a function that I must set or is it automatically on when required? Thanks again.

kerrbust..to verify or set it:
On the SC-05/07 Page 90 of the manual:

On the bdp-05/51FD page 15 of either 05/51 manual:

You will know it's on, when you play a CD, the SC-07/05 will blink several times with "PQLS ON", and your Bluray player will have a PQLS indicator light that remains on.

post #2061 of 17113 Old 11-04-2008, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Too bad there isn't a discrete code for turning PQLS on and off so we could do a better comparison. Have somebody switch it and see if you can tell which is which with your eyes closed.

Dennis H
post #2062 of 17113 Old 11-04-2008, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, it's not as elegant as having a button on the remote, but if you hit another listening mode other than stereo, it will turn the PQLS off, then just put it back in stereo mode......

post #2063 of 17113 Old 11-04-2008, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Hmmm, where to start?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

While I think your post contains some good information, I think there are some basic inaccuracies.

FilmMixer, I think it was your posts more than anything that convinced me that I should get an SC-05, and my understanding of PQLS that I should pair it with a BDP-51. I was trying to explain why, but the post was long enough for most folks, and I missed out quite a bit of information. Let me explain...
Quote:
How can you say it's not proprietary? It's a two way HDMI communication that only works with four products in the Pioneer line up. PQLS is a proprietary Pioneer trade name for it's tech, and doesn't describe any kind of industry standard.
You can't use the PQLS feature with non-Pioneer equipment... which makes it proprietary. It's not a standard like 1394.
The idea isn't unique (like Denon's D-Link, which was one of the first to market) but other manufacturers aren't just name branding it.. these are unique variants to get the same job done (eliminating jitter) using proprietary tech to accomplish it.

I repeat, PQLS is not proprietary, its not restricted to Pioneer, and it's not even limited to HDMI. Its just Pioneers name for an industry-standard digital audio interface protocol that has actually been in use for several years.

For those with short memories, PQLS was Pioneers name for the Audio & Music protocol on firewire that was called i-link. To their credit, Pioneer was first out the blocks with i-link, but all the other majors followed soon after. They could only do this because it was an industry standard. It was called IEC 61883-6 IIRC.

Sony produced players and amps with i-link, but they called it HATS. They didn't guarantee interoperability with other makers i-links, but everyone quickly found that they all worked together. I have a Pio DV79 with PQLS and a Sony AVR with HATS, and they work perfectly.

Denon did support i-link, but went their own way with Denon Link. There's less information about that, and I understand it works in the same way as i-link, but using ethernet instead of firewire as the physical bearer channel. There were some audio advantages with this, but denon link WAS a proprietary interface, and nobody else used it.

PQLS is now being used on HDMI, and its defined in the HDMI V1.3a spec. See p111 section 7.11:
Quote:
Audio Rate Control Overview
The Audio Rate Control feature allows a Sink to slightly and continuously adjust the audio clock rate of the Source in order to match the Sink’s crystal-based audio clock. The Sink controls the Source’s audio clock rate with the CEC command. See CEC Supplement section CEC 13.16 for details.
Source ACR behavior is not affected by Audio Rate Control. When Audio Rate Control is enabled the Source shall continue to generate correct ACR packets that accurately reflect the current (possibly adjusted) audio clock rate.

This is the same way that PQLS and HATS etc worked on i-link, only now its applied to HDMI and its called Audio Rate Control. Pioneer actually mentions ARC in some of its promotional literature. I was the person that first flagged up the opportunities for ARC back in July last year, and predicted that manaufacturers could use it to minimise jitter in the same way that i-link did.

Well, now Pioneer and Sony are doing this, and others like Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo and Integra etc are bound to follow. ARC has a better chance of becoming well established as HDMI is the way forwards (for better or for worse) in a way that i-link would never be. Coincidentally, Sony are calling their ARC implemention HATS, just as they did with i-link. As before, no-one will say they are compatible as they weren't developed side by side, but any day now someone will connect a Sony player with HATS to a Pioneer amp with PQLS, and my money says it will work because they are working to the same standard. maybe its not been done yet, but remember where you heard it first!
Quote:
With the Denon and Pioneer implimentation, you sure are.

There are very few pieces of gear that allow for external clock inputs, which surprises me. That is the true audiophile solution.

Thats a very effective solution, but it seems to be confined to high end stuff like dCs. Although a synchronous digital audio architecture is probably the ideal, its not an external clock in itself that is desirable, simply that the clock should be close to the DAC, and that it should avoid a compromised interface like spdif or hdmi. External clocks aren't mainstream though, and i-link, denon-link and PQLS are pragmatic solutions that everyone can use.
Quote:
I've never heard that the data is what is the cause of jitter... it is the lack of a common clock, not the audio.

And SPDIF has no clock. Biphase mark code is not a clock.

Jitter is a temporal error, not data degradation.

Most high end processors (Denon AVP and Anthem D2, for example) reclock digital inputs anyways.

Jitter is caused by everything as far as I can tell, and audio data is just one thing. There's an important thing to explain. Digital audio has two information streams - ampitude info (data) and timing info (clock). Both these streams are necessary to reproduce the audio. The amplitude info comes from the disc (or whatever) and the timing info comes from the master audio clock. Jitter is indeed a temporal error, but it only affects the tiing info. Jitter is not carried by the data at all. Its the quality of the chain from the clock to the DAC that affects jitter, the data is generally robust and doesn't enter into it. Stereo and MC equipment can re-clock digital audio, so there is a slave audio clock as well as the master, but these don't work as well in practice as they do in theory (or in marketing stuff). The real solution is to keep the clock next to the DAC and keep everything else out of the way.
Quote:
The clock signal doesn't travel between the transport and and AVR/SSP in most cases... it is PCM, and that is what is susceptable to jitter, not a "clock signal."

In general it does. Spdif, toslink, I2S and HDMI can all carry a clock, though they do it in different ways. Sure, compressed audio can't carry a clock, but where there's LPCM theres a clock, even if it doesn't have it's own channel. In spdif the clock is embedded into the data, and travels from the player to the AVR. With DD or DTS, the clock is only generated by the decoder in the AVR, and doesn't travel over the link. HDMI is different, as the audio timing info is carried over the video clock and CEC channels, but thats another matter.
Quote:
It really isn't important where the clock is.. what is important is that all digital pieces of gear in a chain share the same clock...

The whole point of i-link or PQLS is that the clock is indeed where the DAC is - otherwise there would be no point or benefit. Yes, you have to share the clock , but the quality of the clock must be preserved or proritised for the DAC, and can be relaxed for the transport. It really doesn't matter if the clock suffers degradation going from the AVR to the player - the data will still come out just fine.
Quote:
It's not as important that it works for BR and DVD if you are bitstreaming (although PCM is susceptible to it)..

Jitter has nothing to do with AV syncronization... a frame of video contains 48,000 24 bit audio words per channel... jitter occurs at the thousands of a second level.

Bitstream codecs are immune to jitter...

This is a huge subject, and probably beyond this thread. It depends on the architecture of the AVR, and how it regenerates the audio clock. When HDMI is used to carry DTHD & DTS MA to the AVR, the audio clock may be generated from the video clock, so it will still be prone to jitter, but the HDMI spec doesn't lay down the law here, and receivers may do things differently.
Quote:

Yeah, what FilmMixer said about PQLS. All these HDMI receivers buffer and reclock the PCM. As long as the buffer is big enough, PQLS isn't needed. In dr1394's testing, he played a whole CD with the older firewire Pioneer combo and never saw a single 'speed up' or 'slow down' command meaning the buffer never overflowed or underflowed and PQLS wasn't required with that combo. Until I see some actual jitter measurements, I'll remain skeptical that the 'improved sound' with PQLS is anything more than the placebo effect.

All this is irrelevant. 1394 i-link doesn't carry jitter from a player to the AVR, because it doesn't carry the timing info in that direction. Its a simple as that. The data can have pretty much all the jitter it likes, but the clock won't suffer from ANY of it.
Quote:
Pioneer didn't think it was big enough a deal to include it on the flagship 09.

Yes they did - that has i-link inputs!

BR, Nick
post #2064 of 17113 Old 11-04-2008, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
All this is irrelevant.

Au contraire. If the receiver's buffer is big enough that it doesn't overflow or underflow, and it's using its own clock, it doesn't need to tell the player to speed up or slow down and could care less what the player is doing.

I suspect this is one place where the 07 may be better than the 05. They appear to have moved the HDMI audio buffer from the HDMI board to the digital audio board where they are converting everything to 192K and using the receiver's master clock. Just reading between the lines -- the 07 HDMI board is cheaper than the 05 HDMI board even though it has an extra output; the 07 digital audio board costs more and includes the BB chip.

Edit: the advantage of the 07 way is it should buffer the data from any source, coax, optical, whatever. It's just like the big buck DACs used to work back in the day -- big buffer and reclock the signal -- but the Pioneer is doing it before the CPU so you can still process the signal.

Dennis H
post #2065 of 17113 Old 11-04-2008, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Au contraire.
I suspect this is one place where the 07 may be better than the 05. They appear to have moved the HDMI audio buffer from the HDMI board to the digital audio board where they are converting everything to 192K and using the receiver's master clock. Just reading between the lines -- the 07 HDMI board is cheaper than the 05 HDMI board even though it has an extra output; the 07 digital audio board costs more and includes the BB chip.

Good catch, Catapult.
That's been an ongoing discussion/question (Burr Brown DAC in SC-07), and your explaination seems well thought out..
Thanks, I've wondered (theorized) why the HIBITSMP (Hi Bit/Hi Sampling) was only available on the SC-05:

Page 96

post #2066 of 17113 Old 11-04-2008, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I think they both upsample to 24/192, the SC-07 uses the BB SRC chip and the SC-05 uses an unamed chip or can that be done on the main ADC/DAC. At least thats the assumption I've come to in trying to figure this out.

CHP is right, this has been my one nagging issue between the two, the wording from Pioneer is cryptic at best. I've been over the OM again and again, and it doesn't offer much in this area.

05-1.3H BJC-3808-1.3H BJC-5080
post #2067 of 17113 Old 11-04-2008, 07:06 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:

Good catch, Catapult.
That's been an ongoing discussion/question (Burr Brown DAC in SC-07), and your explaination seems well thought out..
Thanks, I've wondered (theorized) why the HIBITSMP (Hi Bit/Hi Sampling) was only available on the SC-05:

Page 96

I have tried out this HIBITSMP mode and have not noticed a difference at all. Has anyone else with an SC-05 tried it out yet? If not, please do and post back with your findings.

Thanks

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #2068 of 17113 Old 11-04-2008, 08:05 PM

I'm setting up a new SC-07 and have it connected to my DVI Panny plasma via a HDMI-DVI cable. I also have an HDMI source, a DirecTV HR20 high def DVR outputting 1080i, and it displays perfectly on the plasma. However, I am unable to get the SC-07 OSD setup screens to display.

I may be off in the weeds here, but I'm wondering if the SC-07 is outputting these screens at 480i over HDMI, which my plasma will not accept via DVI. If so, is there a way to configure the resolution at which the OSD screens are output?

Any ideas?

Mike
post #2069 of 17113 Old 11-04-2008, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

jmr21,
Just checked, my display shows video input is 480p when switched to the setup screens of the SC-07

post #2070 of 17113 Old 11-04-2008, 10:48 PM

Quote:

jmr21,
Just checked, my display shows video input is 480p when switched to the setup screens of the SC-07

Strange. I connected the component monitor out of the SC-07 to the component in on my display, and I was able to get the OSD screens. Went back to the HDMI-DVI and no joy. It appears to be some sort of resolution or timing problem because the NO INPUT signal indicator on the display blinks on and off, the screen flickers occasionally, and occasionally I can see flashes of the OSD screen. Bummer.

Any other ideas?

Mike
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page