post #181 of 17105 Old 08-25-2008, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fubarman3 View Post

Yes, I was able to operate my IPhone through the remote via HMG. And yes, it does work as specified as in the manual - seemingly the same as an Ipod Touch.

That's excellent informaton fubarman3, thank you for sharing.. that's a popular device and I'm sure others were wondering how it interfaced with the SC-07.. looks like they play nicely together even though the iPhone is not officially supported.

"you're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 17105 Old 08-25-2008, 05:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1006 Post(s)
Liked: 1088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebarnman View Post

I'm looking to buy the SC-05 more towards the end of this year. Even if I had one today, I don't see how I could help with a comparison between that and the SC-07.

I "think" the difference in amp power between the sc-05 and sc-07 is 10 Watts. I challenge anyone to be able to hear the difference between wattage between those two receivers! So power alone is not worth buying the sc-07 compared to the sc-05.

There's an extra HDMI input. (3 VS 4)? I know I don't need it.

Ok, there's this little thing about the D/A converters being of a certain type for CD playback and maybe for all digital audio playback. Depending on if that's really important for you, that alone might be worth the extra money. But I don't know if anyone would be able to hear the difference between that and "regular" D/A converters.

Someone else might be able to tell us what the differences are as far as the digital audio is concerned.

Barnman, as best as I can tell the SC-05 & 07 have the same number of HDMI inputs. The .pdf docs on both show 3 HDMI assignable inputs and 1 HDMI BD input (non-assignable). My math shows that as 4 as long as you intend to use the BD input for a BD player. But for some reason the .pdf verbiage on the 05 says '3 HDMI' inputs and on the 07, '4 HDMI' inputs. I'm guessing that's in error and both have the same number. Now the 07 does have 2 HDMI outs while the 05 has only one...if that means anything for you (it doesn't for me).
post #183 of 17105 Old 08-25-2008, 07:22 PM

Liked: 10
I'm strongly considering the SC-07 and the BDP-05FD Blu-Ray player, and I would want to connect everything via HDMI. However, my few-year-old Plasma, a Panny TH-50PHD6UY, doesn't have HDMI input, only DVI.

I currently have a DirecTV HR20 HD-DVR connected to the Panny with a HDMI-DVI adapter, and it works fine. However, reading about all of the issues when connecting multiple HDMI sources to a receiver acting as an HDMI switch to an HDMI display has me concerned. Now throw in the wrinkle that my display is DVI and not HDMI and I really wonder if it will all work as it should.

Anyone have this kind of setup working or care to speculate if this will work?

Mike
post #184 of 17105 Old 08-25-2008, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOC10 View Post

Cool...you almost have the same setup that I will have shortly. I have the Pro-151, the SC-05 and the BDP-51 coming in about 3 weeks when our house is finished. The only difference is I will have Verizon FiOS for TV. Are you happy with everything so far?

VERY Very happy. However not to rain on your parade...

When you get your Verizon FiOS, see if there is a way that it can output "native" of any broadcast signal such as 480i, 720p and 1080i so it can be sent to the 151FD for processing. I have read there is not a way to do that with the Verizon FiOS box. Though I may be wrong.

With my Satellite receiver...the HR-21...there is a way to have it send the native signal of every channel automatically. But that does not mean that my picture will be better than yours. I understand that the Verizon FiOS has the best provided bandwidth than any other system, so that in itself can make a difference.

At least DirecTV has the new MPEG-4 channels....and that has made a difference on my end.

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
post #185 of 17105 Old 08-25-2008, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Barnman, as best as I can tell the SC-05 & 07 have the same number of HDMI inputs. The .pdf docs on both show 3 HDMI assignable inputs and 1 HDMI BD input (non-assignable). My math shows that as 4 as long as you intend to use the BD input for a BD player. But for some reason the .pdf verbiage on the 05 says '3 HDMI' inputs and on the 07, '4 HDMI' inputs. I'm guessing that's in error and both have the same number. Now the 07 does have 2 HDMI outs while the 05 has only one...if that means anything for you (it doesn't for me).

Interesting. Do you know if the D/A converters are the same or different? And if different, would make a real difference in the audio playback?

Or is it too soon to tell?

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
post #186 of 17105 Old 08-26-2008, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanhacker View Post

Just curious if anyone has found any sort of "volume leveling" functionality in these new receivers?

I'm growing weary of picking up the remote every time a station goes to commercials. Especially with the DirecTV 5.1 broadcasts on the HD channels. Thanks.

Based on the lack of responses, I take this to mean a definitive NO.

- John
post #187 of 17105 Old 08-26-2008, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
^^^
It does no dynamic volume leveling. All it does is clip the highs and lows when using certain programs. That tech has been around forever. Dynamic volume control is the new buzz word and so far the Denons and Onkyos have it. Yamaha is doing something a little different than what they had in the past but doesn't sound like is on the level of the Audessy solution.

Upgrayedd. Which he spells thusly, with two D's, as he says, "for a double dose of this pimping".
post #188 of 17105 Old 08-26-2008, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr21 View Post

I'm strongly considering the SC-07 and the BDP-05FD Blu-Ray player, and I would want to connect everything via HDMI. However, my few-year-old Plasma, a Panny TH-50PHD6UY, doesn't have HDMI input, only DVI.

I currently have a DirecTV HR20 HD-DVR connected to the Panny with a HDMI-DVI adapter, and it works fine. However, reading about all of the ssues when connecting multiple HDMI sources to a receiver acting as an HDMI switch to an HDMI display has me concerned. Now throw in the wrinkle that my display is DVI and not HDMI and I really wonder if it will all work as it should.

Anyone have this kind of setup working or care to speculate if this will work?

Mike

From the manual:
• An HDMI connection can only be made with DVI-equipped components compatible with both DVI and High Bandwidth Digital Content
Protection (HDCP). If you choose to connect to a DVI connector, you will need a separate adaptor (DVIHDMI) to do so. A DVI connection,
however, does not support audio signals. Consult your local audio dealer for more information. page 17

There are various references on the pictures to suggest HDMI/DVI connections.
It's only speculation, but it appears it should work, Mike. You just need a HDMI to DVI connector (which you have) from the SC-07 to the TV Audio shouldn't matter if you are using the SC-07/05, unless you want to use your display's speakers, then you would need to add an additional connection (analog or digital) from either the SC-07 or your HR-20 to the TV as well. Your set should be HDCP compliant. Sorry, that's all I can find. Hopefully another user with DVI equipment will confirm one way or another.
If if works now with your HR-20, I don't see why it would not work with the SC-07.. the HR-20 has HDMI out I believe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #189 of 17105 Old 08-26-2008, 10:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebarnman View Post

Interesting. Do you know if the D/A converters are the same or different? And if different, would make a real difference in the audio playback?

Or is it too soon to tell?

Not sure if there's a difference and if so, if it's really audible. Here's a link to the .pdf docs on the 05 and 07:

07- http://www0.4electronicwarehouse.com...-07-manual.pdf
05- http://www0.4electronicwarehouse.com...-05-manual.pdf
post #190 of 17105 Old 08-26-2008, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not sure if there's a difference and if so, if it's really audible. Here's a link to the .pdf docs on the 05 and 07:

According to the brochures Ken linked the SC-07 has

Sampling Rate Converter HDMI Jitter Reduction - Burr Brown

since it's in bold in the brochure, it's implying the SC-05 does not.

Per Pioneer on the Brochure:
"bold denotes step-up feature from the SC-05"

post #191 of 17105 Old 08-26-2008, 04:13 PM

Well there may be some light at the end of the tunnel for people waiting on the Digital Bits Power Buy. I am hearing Josh received a shipment today. Don't know how many and of what yet, but let's hope he got some SC-07s in. I will post more as soon as I know more.
post #192 of 17105 Old 08-26-2008, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Yes, keep us in the loop! Maybe he will ship some tomorrow?
post #193 of 17105 Old 08-26-2008, 05:45 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

I do not know if anyone else noticed when looking at the picture of the back of the two receivers.
However, if you look below the power cord, you will see that both models have the same power consumption of 330 watts.

This means that both receivers have the same amplifier section and that Pioneer just gives them different power ratings to differentiate the two receivers for marketing purposes.
Also, if yuo go to the Ice-Power site, you can see that BO does not make power modules that differ by 10 watt/ch.

I would even venture to say they are completely identical inside and that Pioneer just put fewer I/O connectors on the SC-05.
THX rating can be different based on the certification that Pioneer asked for, as Select certification is probably cheaper than ultra.

Thus if you do not need the extra I/O of SC-07, you are much better off getting the SC-05, as it almost certainly is identical to the SC-07 inside.
(Cost more money to design completely different amps vs. just dropping a few I/Os)
post #194 of 17105 Old 08-26-2008, 06:37 PM

Having ordered the 07, I was hoping for some more differences between the two units, but I must agree with you Dionyz, based on what I have read so far, I believe you are right. The same debate is happening in the blu-ray thread with the very little differences (except cosmetic) between the 05 elite and the 51 regular pioneer players. Personally, I am glad I got the 05 player and 07 receiver, but I must admit I am not sure it is worth the extra dough at this point.
post #195 of 17105 Old 08-26-2008, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHP_VR View Post

From the manual:
An HDMI connection can only be made with DVI-equipped components compatible with both DVI and High Bandwidth Digital Content
Protection (HDCP). If you choose to connect to a DVI connector, you will need a separate adaptor (DVIHDMI) to do so. A DVI connection,
however, does not support audio signals. Consult your local audio dealer for more information. page 17

There are various references on the pictures to suggest HDMI/DVI connections.
It's only speculation, but it appears it should work, Mike. You just need a HDMI to DVI connector (which you have) from the SC-07 to the TV Audio shouldn't matter if you are using the SC-07/05, unless you want to use your display's speakers, then you would need to add an additional connection (analog or digital) from either the SC-07 or your HR-20 to the TV as well. Your set should be HDCP compliant. Sorry, that's all I can find. Hopefully another user with DVI equipment will confirm one way or another.
If if works now with your HR-20, I don't see why it would not work with the SC-07.. the HR-20 has HDMI out I believe.

Thanks. Looks like it should work.

Another question. Why doesn't the Pioneer web site list the SC-07 since it's currently shipping?
post #196 of 17105 Old 08-26-2008, 07:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionyz View Post

I do not know if anyone else noticed when looking at the picture of the back of the two receivers.
However, if you look below the power cord, you will see that both models have the same power consumption of 330 watts.

This means that both receivers have the same amplifier section and that Pioneer just gives them different power ratings to differentiate the two receivers for marketing purposes.
Also, if yuo go to the Ice-Power site, you can see that BO does not make power modules that differ by 10 watt/ch.

I would even venture to say they are completely identical inside and that Pioneer just put fewer I/O connectors on the SC-05.
THX rating can be different based on the certification that Pioneer asked for, as Select certification is probably cheaper than ultra.

Thus if you do not need the extra I/O of SC-07, you are much better off getting the SC-05, as it almost certainly is identical to the SC-07 inside.
(Cost more money to design completely different amps vs. just dropping a few I/Os)

Excellent detective work Dionyz. I think your logic is dead on. That would leave only the Burr-Brown HDMI jitter reduction and the THX Loudness Plus circuit...not a whole lot to differentiate the two. Not only that, we have virtually no cosmetic differences either. I still wish that both had HD Radio.

Any other ideas?
post #197 of 17105 Old 08-26-2008, 07:52 PM

Just sold the 4308 so I will be joining the SC-07 club soon. Hopefully it will meet my expectations. The 4308 was great functionally but it was severly lacking in power IMO. Basically in one month I bought a Mits 65835, Denon 4308 and Pioneer 51fd and have returned/sold all of them to get the Elite 150fd, Elite 05fd and Elite SC-07. I am pretty sure I will be done at this point or my wife is going to divorce me. At least I didn't return any of my speakers. Can anyone confirm that all of the features of the SC-07 (HDMI control, etc.) will be compatible with my Elite 150fd or would I need the Elite 151fd?
post #198 of 17105 Old 08-26-2008, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Is the SC-07 really 21.65 deep? I'm having a hard time finding furniture (TV stand) that will house this receiver comfortably. Anyone have any suggestions? And how can this this receiver be larger (depth wise) than the SC-09 (18.87").
post #199 of 17105 Old 08-26-2008, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoChe View Post

Is the SC-07 really 21.65 deep? I'm having a hard time finding furniture (TV stand) that will house this receiver comfortably. Anyone have any suggestions? And how can this this receiver be larger (depth wise) than the SC-09 (18.87").

I think you are reading the box dimentions. The depth of the receiver is 18"
post #200 of 17105 Old 08-26-2008, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Since this is the SC-07 thread, and this is one of the final 2 units I am considering, I thought this will be a good place to get some informative answers. I have be a Pioneer Elite fan for a long time, since the first receiver the 07TX, and now own the 72TXH. But I am moving, and will be purchasing the new Sony 55XBR8, which is a 1080P display. Since my 72TXH(less than 3 years old) doesn't support 1080P, I am forced to upgrade to another receiver. Currently I have all components connected to my receiver and 1 HDMI cable to the 40XBR1 I currently have, which works great, and would expect to do the 1 cable to my TV from my next receiver, and thus the problem. Now this SC-07 will definitely solve the problem, so will the SC-05, but I want to have the flexibility of having 2 HDMI out so just incase I want to buy a front projector as well, so the SC-07 it is. Then I started reading that the SC-07 uses the Farudja chip to upscale and deinterlace the input signal, and it's not as good as the HQV chip, so my other choice is now the Onkyo TX-NR906. This unit looks like it will go head to head with the SC-07, and actually have better video performance from the things I read, and that's very important to me, as I care 60% Video quality and 40% audio quality. So why should I choose the SC-07? Don't want no flames, just want an educated decision here. Thanks!
post #201 of 17105 Old 08-26-2008, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by patgilm View Post

I think you are reading the box dimentions. The depth of the receiver is 18"

Wow, I feel like a moron. Thanks for the clarification.
post #202 of 17105 Old 08-26-2008, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myz350 View Post

Since this is the SC-07 thread, and this is one of the final 2 units I am considering, I thought this will be a good place to get some informative answers. I have be a Pioneer Elite fan for a long time, since the first receiver the 07TX, and now own the 72TXH. But I am moving, and will be purchasing the new Sony 55XBR8, which is a 1080P display. Since my 72TXH(less than 3 years old) doesn't support 1080P, I am forced to upgrade to another receiver. Currently I have all components connected to my receiver and 1 HDMI cable to the 40XBR1 I currently have, which works great, and would expect to do the 1 cable to my TV from my next receiver, and thus the problem. Now this SC-07 will definitely solve the problem, so will the SC-05, but I want to have the flexibility of having 2 HDMI out so just incase I want to buy a front projector as well, so the SC-07 it is. Then I started reading that the SC-07 uses the Farudja chip to upscale and deinterlace the input signal, and it's not as good as the HQV chip, so my other choice is now the Onkyo TX-NR906. This unit looks like it will go head to head with the SC-07, and actually have better video performance from the things I read, and that's very important to me, as I care 60% Video quality and 40% audio quality. So why should I choose the SC-07? Don't want no flames, just want an educated decision here. Thanks!

As for the video performance I to have become very confused. I have a 8.8 Integra, Dish Network 722 HD receiver, and a new Pioneer 51 which I am impressed with so far. I have a 720P display recently calibrated. (after I got the 51). I was advised not to change any video settings. However, on the receiver display is says through for both the Dish and the 51. Every thing is connected with HDMI. Assuming the Reon I paid for is not being used I question the purpose of even having a video processor. I would really like to be educated on this. I am considering buying a Pioneer SC-05. I want the Audio side of the receiver but apparently do not need the video side of the receiver? In a year or so I will upgrade to a new 1080P Kuro. Will that change any thing with the video portion of the receiver?
post #203 of 17105 Old 08-26-2008, 11:32 PM

Quote:

What concerns me about these facts is what happened to the 6020/151. They took away from the 6020 (from previous year) to further differentiate the 2 units. Will this happen next gen to the SC-05 and BDP-51?

There are no answers, only choices.
post #204 of 17105 Old 08-27-2008, 06:49 AM

billybob0405, I am worried about that too. I got the 151, but it really made me mad that the 151 and 6020 are the same unit basically except for features disabled in the 6020. I know it saves on overhead, but you would think there would be more substantive differentiation between the units. I am wondering if 51 and the 05 receiver are suffering the same fate as the 6020. I know we are paying a premium for the elite badge, but I was hoping that wasn't all we were paying for... and in the process lower models are being disabled via software...
post #205 of 17105 Old 08-27-2008, 07:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myz350 View Post

So why should I choose the SC-07? Don't want no flames, just want an educated decision here. Thanks!

From my reading of the Onkyo threads (I had once considered the 875), more trouble-free performance is the primary reason in going with the Pioneer. The Pioneer has great sound quality and hasn't had a history of issues with pops, overheating, advanced audio codec issues etc.
post #206 of 17105 Old 08-27-2008, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patgilm View Post

Just sold the 4308 so I will be joining the SC-07 club soon. Hopefully it will meet my expectations. The 4308 was great functionally but it was severly lacking in power IMO. Basically in one month I bought a Mits 65835, Denon 4308 and Pioneer 51fd and have returned/sold all of them to get the Elite 150fd, Elite 05fd and Elite SC-07. I am pretty sure I will be done at this point or my wife is going to divorce me. At least I didn't return any of my speakers. Can anyone confirm that all of the features of the SC-07 (HDMI control, etc.) will be compatible with my Elite 150fd or would I need the Elite 151fd?

I'm using the Elite Pro-110FD which is the 50 inch version KURO of your 60 inch Elite 150FD patgilm.
I posted a few HDMI CONTROL (SC-07 with the PRO-110FD and BDP-51FD)shots earlier in this thread, I can't believe the 9g would have anything over the 8gs for HDMI control.

post #207 of 17105 Old 08-27-2008, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr21 View Post

Thanks. Looks like it should work.

Another question. Why doesn't the Pioneer web site list the SC-07 since it's currently shipping?

As far as I can tell Pioneeer is always late updating their website.. I got the blu-ray player with the factory 1.0 fw before they ever put it on the website, and when I went to the Pioneer store in South Coast Plaza in July, they had the vsx1018/ 01 and 03 weeks before it was on the website Same thing with the SC-09....

post #208 of 17105 Old 08-27-2008, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally, I wanted the SC-05.. It had everything I wanted, but the SC-07 was out first, and couldn't wait.. Well, actually, I waited 4 days ..
I think the SC-07 and SC-05 are very similar.. Like the DBP-51 and 05.. they were both built with same contruction with new designs.. The 05 has a few cosmetic changes and slightly better analog video.. the SC-07 looks like it's a matter of a few extra inputs and outputs, MAYBE better Sampling Rate Converter HDMI for jitter... but, I don't regret getting the SC-07 over the SC-05.. I got it sooner and have had that much more time to enjoy it... I just need to find a use for the second HDMI output!

post #209 of 17105 Old 08-27-2008, 09:59 AM

I pre-ordered the SC-07 from Value Electronics. Initially they were expecting them in late last week and as of Monday, Robert seemed confident about today. I'm not going to hassle them but if anyone on pre-order has heard anything please keep us informed. I've been reading the BDP-09FD thread to pass the time and it just heightens the anticipation
post #210 of 17105 Old 08-27-2008, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milynj View Post

As for the video performance I to have become very confused. I have a 8.8 Integra, Dish Network 722 HD receiver, and a new Pioneer 51 which I am impressed with so far. I have a 720P display recently calibrated. (after I got the 51). I was advised not to change any video settings. However, on the receiver display is says “through” for both the Dish and the 51. Every thing is connected with HDMI. Assuming the Reon I paid for is not being used I question the purpose of even having a video processor. I would really like to be educated on this. I am considering buying a Pioneer SC-05. I want the Audio side of the receiver but apparently do not need the video side of the receiver? In a year or so I will upgrade to a new 1080P Kuro. Will that change any thing with the video portion of the receiver?

As far as the SC-07 goes, HDMI to HDMI is not touched, video is straight through. The chip is for analog to HDMI (Composit, component, to HDMI).
That only comes into play if your display wasn't doing a good enough job with lets say for instance how it handles 480i to 1080p on a standard DVD player with analog out.
There are way too many better qualified people to answer that can of worms.. so I'll stop there.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page