post #241 of 17105 Old 08-29-2008, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoZ View Post

Owners, is there a way to get the ((sub)) speaker symbol to not blink with the bass hits? Seems like it may be distracting. Whats your experience? Not that it matters much...

I haven't found a way to eliminate it.. but it's never distracted me either as it's far enough away from my display.. wouldn't the dimmer take care of this?

"you're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 17105 Old 08-29-2008, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarsimusJC View Post

If anyone is waiting for an SC-07 from VE,...

I just got off the phone with Wendy (Robert's better half). It looks like they're expecting some SC-07s this coming Tuesday, 9/2.

The waiting is, indeed, the hardest part...

Thanks for the update HarsimusJC! That should make a lot of people happy!
The wait is almost over...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #243 of 17105 Old 08-29-2008, 08:46 AM

Liked: 10
I was pleasantly surprised to see my 07 show up today! UPS tracking had it scheduled for delivery on the 3rd, but now I get the long weekend to mess around with it. Couldn't be happier. I'll try to post some first impressions over the weekend for some subjective comparasion. I'm hoping I find it as pleasing as everyone else seems to be.

post #244 of 17105 Old 08-29-2008, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-mill View Post

I was pleasantly surprised to see my 07 show up today! UPS tracking had it scheduled for delivery on the 3rd, but now I get the long weekend to mess around with it. Couldn't be happier. I'll try to post some first impressions over the weekend for some subjective comparasion. I'm hoping I find it as pleasing as everyone else seems to be.

Awesome b-mill! Congratulations. Yes, please post pictures and share your impressions with us!
Sounds like a great way to spend a 3 day weekend

Out of curiousity, where did you order yours from?

post #245 of 17105 Old 08-29-2008, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

would the SC07 be an upgrade over th pio 94?

I miss the rosewood sides on the old Pioneer Elite equipment!

Blu-ray - 576

HD DVD - 81

post #246 of 17105 Old 08-29-2008, 10:15 AM

CHP_VR, I work for a custom integration company and we are an Elite dealer. I was pretty bummed when the 07 didn't meet the projected release target of early July, but to get it right before the holiday weekend makes up for it. I'll try to snap some pics and share my thoughts once it's up and running.

post #247 of 17105 Old 08-29-2008, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

I like most of you am debating between the 05 abd 07. I have both a projector and TV setup in 2 rooms in my basement. The DUAL HDMI out is important to me but the other features of the 07 are not as critical. Can I simply buy an HDMI splitter for alot less money to feed the output from the 05to my projector and TV?

Yes I want one of these!!!

VSX-94 Elite FOR SALE HERE!!!

thanks,
WS
post #248 of 17105 Old 08-29-2008, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uw69 View Post

would the SC07 be an upgrade over th pio 94?

ack, a can of worms I think the VSX-94 is a great receiver, it's the one I going to get before I heard of the SC-07/05.. But those ICE amps facinated me, and the threads on the SC-09 kinda clinched it... I would be happy with a 94, but I'm happier now with the SC-07... I think it's a different receiver all together from the 94... And with my equipment I feel it integrates better. Yes, I think the SC-07 is a worthy upgrade to the 94 (all new amps, new build contruction, PQLS, etc) .. that's my opinion.
The VSX-94 is still being made this year, Pioneer places it between the VSX-01/03 and the SC-05/07.

post #249 of 17105 Old 08-29-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHP_VR View Post

Yes, you can play music or display photos from another computer through the SC-07 on your network, ajkjr. You just need to set up your computer as a media server to share the folders you want to listen too. You might want to look at Chapter 10 (page 73) of the manual, it may answer your questions more fully. Here is a picture of my HGM screen from the SC-07, it shows Internet and Nueral radio and two server connections on my network.. BTW, I use wireless also, so not a problem.
Hope you get yours soon, that's a sweet combination (SC-07 and BDP-05FD)

Does anyone know if you can play Sirius or XM with the SC-05 using the Internet feed?
post #250 of 17105 Old 08-29-2008, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOC10 View Post

Does anyone know if you can play Sirius or XM with the SC-05 using the Internet feed?

The sirius and XM have their own inputs, MikeOC10 on the back of the receiver. (page 15 of the manual number 3 and number 7)
information about it is on page 60 and 61. Looks like they even have their own GUI.

post #251 of 17105 Old 08-29-2008, 11:55 AM

Thanks CHP_VR. I know that you can buy a seperate tuner and antenna for Sirius and XM, but can you avoid doing that and play them via their internet feed? If you are a subsciber to them, you can download their media player. You can even upgrade to a 128k feed. If you've done this, can you stream the content to the SC-05 and play them on your HT speakers?
post #252 of 17105 Old 08-29-2008, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquafire View Post

I like most of you am debating between the 05 abd 07. I have both a projector and TV setup in 2 rooms in my basement. The DUAL HDMI out is important to me but the other features of the 07 are not as critical. Can I simply buy an HDMI splitter for alot less money to feed the output from the 05to my projector and TV?

Yes I want one of these!!!

VSX-94 Elite FOR SALE HERE!!!

thanks,
WS

Ditto for me as now I can dump my old Tivo Sat receiver for my office and just use the extra HDMI out, I suppose I could have did this with a switcher as well.
post #253 of 17105 Old 08-29-2008, 02:15 PM

I am off to pick up my SC-07. I will try to post some impression as soon as I can get it hooked up.
post #254 of 17105 Old 08-29-2008, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy88 View Post

I am off to pick up my SC-07. I will try to post some impression as soon as I can get it hooked up.

All right!
That's at least two people who got their SC-07 today!

post #255 of 17105 Old 08-29-2008, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedege View Post

Well, I just ordered: sc-07/bdp-05fd, my room addition is supposed to be done in 2 weeks, trying to time it right, so I have it when the addition is done. I know i'll probably get it sooner, cuz I ordered it thru the pioneer employee direct sales site, I emailed them last week, and they said they were getting their next batch in on Aug 22nd. Cant wait, i hope to be able to contribute to this topic soon. Thanks CHP for all your info.

-Mike

Make it three! but......

Good news/bad news...

Good news, My SC-07 and BDP-05fd showed up today.

bad news, My room addition is behind schedule, and may not be done for 3 more weeks.....

Guess Im gonna have to wait to hook this bad-boy up! Keep the info coming, i will add some more info later rather than sooner.

-Mike
post #256 of 17105 Old 08-30-2008, 03:50 AM

Well it looks like only2 new SC-07s today. Because the person that put my order in the computer did not finalize or approve it the order canceled itself out. Now I have to wait another week. None of the other dealers had any in so I had them re order it. The only good thing is they gave me a discount due to the fact that they messed up. So much for my 3 day weekend.
post #257 of 17105 Old 08-30-2008, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy88 View Post

Well it looks like only2 new SC-07s today. Because the person that put my order in the computer did not finalize or approve it the order canceled itself out. Now I have to wait another week. None of the other dealers had any in so I had them re order it. The only good thing is they gave me a discount due to the fact that they messed up. So much for my 3 day weekend.

I will have my end of next week, dealer I deal with got 13 of them on Friday late.. So mine will go out Tuesday of next week. It will be interesting to see how the receiver handles my speakers, as I have been using external Amps with my receivers for awhile. Using a HK 254 right now and love the sound, but it has too many quirks/bugs to deal with, I just hope a firmware addresses them quickly.

Does anyone have a 05/07 and 51 Blu-Ray combo? Just curious to see what the differences are between the 51 and 05 as well..

Thanks.......
post #258 of 17105 Old 08-30-2008, 04:42 PM

I was very psyched to get the SC-07 to go with a Pioneer Elite 141FD 60" Plasma TV.

However, after a lot of back and forth checking of the specs for the SC-07 and the Pioneer VSX 1018, I am really thinking I should save the money since the SC-07 doesn't really offer that much more (for my current set-up) and the VSX 1018 is now available on the internet for $439 shipped!

Keeping in mind that I will be using:

2 Musical Fidelity m250 monoblocks (250 amps each) to power my Totem Forests (Front left & Front right speakers),

the Receiver to power a Totem Model 1 Signature Centre speaker and some crappy Panasonic surround speakers for Left and Right Rears (to be up-graded in the near future - don't know what yet),

the Receiver will power 2 outdoor speakers from the Rear Surrounds/B/Zone 2

a Sony PS3, Bell Expressvu 9242 HD/PVR satellite box and an Oppo DVD/SACD player will be input to the Receiver via HDMI,

can anyone point out some definite benefits of purchasing the SC-07 over the VSX-1018 (Keeping in mind that I don't really care about the aestetics of one over the other and also that the ICE amps in the SC-07 will NOT be coming into play for my front and left speakers since I will be using the pre-out for them to the monoblock amps)?

Any and all comments and suggestions are welcome!!!
post #259 of 17105 Old 08-30-2008, 07:13 PM

I am in the market for a new receiver. I have researced receivers to death. It seems like I keep coming back to the Pioneer sc05/07. Any words of wisdom? I am anxious to read reviews on either of these units. Could someone PM me with pricing?
post #260 of 17105 Old 08-30-2008, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwboone View Post

I am in the market for a new receiver. I have researced receivers to death. It seems like I keep coming back to the Pioneer sc05/07. Any words of wisdom? I am anxious to read reviews on either of these units. Could someone PM me with pricing?

I have yet to get an answer form this thread regarding why they would buy the SC07 over the Onkyo TX-NR906. I can understand if they bought the SC07 before knowing about the NR906, but for those that have not received their SC07, or are consider buying the SC07, WHY???
post #261 of 17105 Old 08-30-2008, 08:29 PM

Hey guys,

FYI, I did get the SC-05 from BB Magnolia last week. I was planning on ordering the VSX-94 when I was told that they have the new Elites in stock. I just used one of the discount coupons. I'm sure better deals could be had from some of the site sponsors.

I was waiting for other members to post their observations on these AVRs but I guess most of you are still waiting or are just receiving your orders. I am hesitant to post any technical review as I don't have the level of sophistication that some of you have. In addition, I am upgrading from an old Yamaha 1400 so most of the features in the SC-05 are new to me.

As I am upgrading my HT system , it took me a while to connect the new components. Anyway, I can tell you at least that it breathed new life into my old ACI speakers. I own a few Eva Cassidy CDs and they never sounded as good until now. Her remarkable voice never sounded better. The same thing happened with CDs from Nora Jones and John Meyer. I have yet to play audiophile quality CDs, SACDs and DVD-Audios.

I expect to receive my Salk SongTowers in the next few weeks. I can't wait to hook them up with this AVR. I expect to hear amazing sounds.

I will eagerly await the feedbacks from other members.

Jofer
post #262 of 17105 Old 08-30-2008, 09:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myz350 View Post

I have yet to get an answer form this thread regarding why they would buy the SC07 over the Onkyo TX-NR906. I can understand if they bought the SC07 before knowing about the NR906, but for those that have not received their SC07, or are consider buying the SC07, WHY???

In this price point, I personally care little about using the AVR for video processing. HQV Reon isn't the best out there, albeit I'd take it over F...whatever.
  • My DVD player uses the Realta, so I'd rather use that.
  • Then you have MCACC vs Audyssey, which the later I find very cumbersome.
  • Then you have the Elite appearance vs Onkyo, which the later I personally find looks cheap.
  • Then you have ICE vs non, which the edge goes to the Elite.
  • Then the specs on paper, the Elites don't appear to be as good as the competitors.
  • Appearance.
  • Compatibility with other components.
Then you have the remaining features which are close enough and depends on each persons' needs. Finally, I can't even pronounce Onkyo - kidding. For me, I'd personally pick the sc-07 hands-down - mainly for silly things like its appearance and compatibility with my Elite PDP and if I get a BR player, it might be the Elite 09FD. They all match visually too. Otherwise, my existing Denon AVR and DVD are compatible with each other and work fine.
post #263 of 17105 Old 08-30-2008, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:

Having owned both a 905 and SC09, I can sum that up in one simple word: ICE.

Also, the MCACC with full phase band control is very impressive.

Any more questions?
post #264 of 17105 Old 08-30-2008, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

Having owned both a 905 and SC09, I can sum that up in one simple word: ICE.

Also, the MCACC with full phase band control is very impressive.

Any more questions?

I would not consider the SC09 to be in the same league as the 905, so unless you are implying that the SC07 has the same sound quality as the SC09, then your one simple word means nothing. I watch alot of HD that comes through cable in 1080i, so video processing of these signals along with my PS3, XBOX360, Wii and HD satellite are important. I would prefer to purchase the Realta processor, but don't have the budget now since I am moving and there is a lot of stuff I will be spending my money on. I am weighing more on the video aspect of the receiver, and since the video processing capability on the SC09 is the same as the SC07, have you ever compared the 2 and see which one de-interlace the 1080i signal better? I need you to tell me that when it comes to the VIDEO aspect of these Audio/Video receivers, that you can sum it up in one single word: REON-VX.
post #265 of 17105 Old 08-30-2008, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_ok2me View Post

In this price point, I personally care little about using the AVR for video processing. HQV Reon isn't the best out there, albeit I'd take it over F...whatever.
  • My DVD player uses the Realta, so I'd rather use that.
  • Then you have MCACC vs Audyssey, which the later I find very cumbersome.
  • Then you have the Elite appearance vs Onkyo, which the later I personally find looks cheap.
  • Then you have ICE vs non, which the edge goes to the Elite.
  • Then the specs on paper, the Elites don't appear to be as good as the competitors.
  • Appearance.
  • Compatibility with other components.
Then you have the remaining features which are close enough and depends on each persons' needs. Finally, I can't even pronounce Onkyo - kidding. For me, I'd personally pick the sc-07 hands-down - mainly for silly things like its appearance and compatibility with my Elite PDP and if I get a BR player, it might be the Elite 09FD. They all match visually too. Otherwise, my existing Denon AVR and DVD are compatible with each other and work fine.

First of all, don't have your kind of money to spend on a Realta DVD player, if I did, I would have bought the Denon 5308 and would not be here chatting with you. Secondly, I don't care if Audyssey is cumbersome, since you only have to adjust this one. So it's a matter of which one sounds better after the calibration that I care about. I wouldn't say the Onkyo looks cheap, as it looks the same as most other receivers out there, it's just the Pioneer Elites look better, I do have the 72TXH now. And the ICE chip is what's making me debating between the 2. Do I want better sound or better Video. Since I already planned the budget of a new Sony 55XBR8, the Video will be better than what I have now. But I have a set of Energy Encore speakers, and either receiver will make these speakers sound great, and to do better I'll have to upgrade the speakers, which I don't have the money now.....
post #266 of 17105 Old 08-30-2008, 11:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

First of all, don't have your kind of money to spend on a Realta DVD player, if I did, I would have bought the Denon 5308 and would not be here chatting with you. Secondly, I don't care if Audyssey is cumbersome, since you only have to adjust this one. So it's a matter of which one sounds better after the calibration that I care about. I wouldn't say the Onkyo looks cheap, as it looks the same as most other receivers out there, it's just the Pioneer Elites look better, I do have the 72TXH now. And the ICE chip is what's making me debating between the 2. Do I want better sound or better Video. Since I already planned the budget of a new Sony 55XBR8, the Video will be better than what I have now. But I have a set of Energy Encore speakers, and either receiver will make these speakers sound great, and to do better I'll have to upgrade the speakers, which I don't have the money now.....

Then buy the Onkyo, sounds like the better AVR for you.
post #267 of 17105 Old 08-30-2008, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:

I would not consider the SC09 to be in the same league as the 905, so unless you are implying that the SC07 has the same sound quality as the SC09, then your one simple word means nothing. I watch alot of HD that comes through cable in 1080i, so video processing of these signals along with my PS3, XBOX360, Wii and HD satellite are important. I would prefer to purchase the Realta processor, but don't have the budget now since I am moving and there is a lot of stuff I will be spending my money on. I am weighing more on the video aspect of the receiver, and since the video processing capability on the SC09 is the same as the SC07, have you ever compared the 2 and see which one de-interlace the 1080i signal better? I need you to tell me that when it comes to the VIDEO aspect of these Audio/Video receivers, that you can sum it up in one single word: REON-VX.

If you wanted a comparison about the video capabilities, you should've made that clear.

Based on my experience with the SC09 and 905, I can safely say the audio quality of the SC07 will be a step above the 905...

The SC09 and SC07 share a great deal in the audio department, and the great price differential isn't representative of a huge audible leap, but more in the area of functionality, flexibility and media streaming features.

And you are incorrect.. the SC07 and SC09 do not share the same video solution (the SC09 uses the Marvell QDEO chip.)

You asked a question and I answered it based on my experience. And I am sure that my answer was useful for others.. the differences in video processing (when using the same solutions) are minimal... most are concerned about the sound differences in an audio receiver and there is more than enough information on these boards about what each video solution offers, regardless of what product it ends up in.

That being said, I've had the Denon 5308 (Realta), 4308 (Farojda DCDi same as the SC07), SC09 (QDEO), Onkyo 905 (Reon) and Anthem D2 (Gennum VXP) in my system in the last 12 months....

The 4308 vs. the 905 de-interlacing 1080i? No big difference.

The SC07 does not up-convert HDMI inputs. However, in my experience, satellite and cable sources have always shown improvements when using component connections, so this was a non issue for me with the SC09. I also use my Xbox with component, and the PS3 does just fine on it's own.

BTW, I don't "need" to tell you anything else.
post #268 of 17105 Old 08-31-2008, 02:04 AM
DR9

Does the SC-05 OSD overlay using HDMI monitor out to your TV? Setup, Volume etc?

Or do I have to change inputs so like Comp out to mess with it?
post #269 of 17105 Old 08-31-2008, 02:22 AM

All the setup menus like the Mcaa will work and the the Media library that controls an ipod will work but you get no overlays for volume etc using HDMI.
post #270 of 17105 Old 08-31-2008, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

If you wanted a comparison about the video capabilities, you should've made that clear.

Based on my experience with the SC09 and 905, I can safely say the audio quality of the SC07 will be a step above the 905...

The SC09 and SC07 share a great deal in the audio department, and the great price differential isn't representative of a huge audible leap, but more in the area of functionality, flexibility and media streaming features.

And you are incorrect.. the SC07 and SC09 do not share the same video solution (the SC09 uses the Marvell QDEO chip.)

You asked a question and I answered it based on my experience. And I am sure that my answer was useful for others.. the differences in video processing (when using the same solutions) are minimal... most are concerned about the sound differences in an audio receiver and there is more than enough information on these boards about what each video solution offers, regardless of what product it ends up in.

That being said, I've had the Denon 5308 (Realta), 4308 (Farojda DCDi same as the SC07), SC09 (QDEO), Onkyo 905 (Reon) and Anthem D2 (Gennum VXP) in my system in the last 12 months....

The 4308 vs. the 905 de-interlacing 1080i? No big difference.

The SC07 does not up-convert HDMI inputs. However, in my experience, satellite and cable sources have always shown improvements when using component connections, so this was a non issue for me with the SC09. I also use my Xbox with component, and the PS3 does just fine on it's own.

BTW, I don't "need" to tell you anything else.

I did mention about the Video quality being more important in my first post, but.....never mind, I do appreciate your answer, that is what I "need" to hear. Thanks!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page