Official Pioneer SC-05 and SC-07 Owners Thread - Page 97 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-01-2008, 05:55 PM
Gov
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Yeah...I was all set to order an MFW-15 subwoofer from AV123 and then started ready about all the horror stories associated with them. Then their site goes down last week
Instead I ordered an Hsu VTF-3 Mk3 and it arrives tomorrow!! Can't wait I hear its a great sub

Main HT Room: Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV3, Sony BDP-S5100, Speakers: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers, Sierra Horizon and HTM-200SE, Dual Power Sound Audio XV15 Subwoofers
Basement HT Room: Panny TC-P58V10 (Black Level Restored!), Denon AVR-E300, Comcast X1 STB, Sony BDP-S590, Speakers: Wave Crest Audio HVL-1 (L/C/R), Pioneer SP-BS 22 (Surr) and Power Sound Audio XV15 Subwoofer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2008, 07:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
CHP, Congrats on the new B&Ws. Great stuff! Have fun listening to everything all over again. Probably sounds like the "first time." Blue
Old 12-01-2008, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I need some quick advice as I am about to pull the plug on either the SC-07 or Onkyo 906, as much as I wanted to have the Reon processing, the SC-07 seems to be more exciting. Couple of quick questions:

1. Can the SC-07 matrix 5.1 material to 7.1, especially for HD audio content? e.g., whether DTS-HD 5.1 material can be matrix to 7.1 say via Neo 6 of whatever sound format

2. My cabinet has very limited height clearance, is the top of the 07 hot in comparison to ovens such as Onkyo? Warm to the touch or top ventilation a must?

Sorry haven't got time to closely follow the thread lately.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by breadvan View Post

I need some quick advice as I am about to pull the plug on either the SC-07 or Onkyo 906, as much as I wanted to have the Reon processing, the SC-07 seems to be more exciting. Couple of quick questions:

1. Can the SC-07 matrix 5.1 material to 7.1, especially for HD audio content? e.g., whether DTS-HD 5.1 material can be matrix to 7.1 say via Neo 6 of whatever sound format

2. My cabinet has very limited height clearance, is the top of the 07 hot in comparison to ovens such as Onkyo? Warm to the touch or top ventilation a must?

Sorry haven't got time to closely follow the thread lately.

1. Yes

2. It does not get as warm as the Onkyo, I only had 2 inches of space above my SC-05 and it got pretty warm to me, I mean I could put my hand on it and it would not burn me, but I installed a fan just in case.

Juan

My HT
Old 12-02-2008, 06:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post

Yeah...I was all set to order an MFW-15 subwoofer from AV123 and then started ready about all the horror stories associated with them. Then their site goes down last week
Instead I ordered an Hsu VTF-3 Mk3 and it arrives tomorrow!! Can't wait I hear its a great sub

GOV.....you'll like that HSU SW. I've been a fan of HSU for years. Even though mine is several years old now, I can't find any good reason to switch out my VTF-3 (although that MFW 15 was mighty tempting...especially at the $499 price I saw recently).

I've never had any issues with AV123. Matter of fact, I've yet to hear my Rockets bettered by anything remotely near their price. They're made well, too. I've always had good customer service from Mark and his people.

You look at some of the people who are selling only over the net, like David Fabrikant at Ascend, Mark Schiffer at AV123. Dr. Hsu at Hsu Research. Dan and Lonnie over at EMOTIVA, the folks at Outlaw, these people were pioneers.

Plus, most of them come with sterling audio pedigrees before they started their on line stores. Mark S actually had a hand in launching some other internet audio companies that he's no longer affiliated with. EMOTIVA and Swan come to mind.

All these people have taken their fair share of online lumps. There are those who will never buy anything unless it's sold in a B&M store, or with a brand that's more recognizable. AV123 is known for taking a long time to ship, after then announce a product. But, I'm willing to put up with that as I'm always very pleased when their products do finally arrive.

But, that's not what this thread is about. In anticipation of the new Batman movie being released on BD today, I gave my BD of Batman Begins another spin last night. Just more amazement from the SC 05. The fight scene on the ice had me saying (to no one in particular, as I was watching it alone)...WOW! The cracking ice had more of a "real" feel than anytime I can remember when watching this movie. The sound truly transmitted the "feel" and sound of the dangerousness of fighting on ice that was about to break. It had an "ominous" sound, sounds I don't recall ever transmitting that type of depth before.

Then, there was the fight scene in the shipyard. I could actually hear the echos of sound as they bounced off the shipping containers. That was a first.

The BATMOBILE actually sounded like a real car with a bad ass engine (which, in reality, it is).

Seen this movie dozens of times. It was a new experience this time around, though.

Really looking forward to screening the new movie tonight.

Music so high you can't get over it....music so low you can't get under it!
Old 12-02-2008, 07:49 AM
RCJ

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicguy View Post

GOV.....you'll like that HSU SW. I've been a fan of HSU for years. Even though mine is several years old now, I can't find any good reason to switch out my VTF-3 (although that MFW 15 was mighty tempting...especially at the $499 price I saw recently).

I've never had any issues with AV123. Matter of fact, I've yet to hear my Rockets bettered by anything remotely near their price. They're made well, too. I've always had good customer service from Mark and his people.

You look at some of the people who are selling only over the net, like David Fabrikant at Ascend, Mark Schiffer at AV123. Dr. Hsu at Hsu Research. Dan and Lonnie over at EMOTIVA, the folks at Outlaw, these people were pioneers.

Plus, most of them come with sterling audio pedigrees before they started their on line stores. Mark S actually had a hand in launching some other internet audio companies that he's no longer affiliated with. EMOTIVA and Swan come to mind.

All these people have taken their fair share of online lumps. There are those who will never buy anything unless it's sold in a B&M store, or with a brand that's more recognizable. AV123 is known for taking a long time to ship, after then announce a product. But, I'm willing to put up with that as I'm always very pleased when their products do finally arrive.

But, that's not what this thread is about. In anticipation of the new Batman movie being released on BD today, I gave my BD of Batman Begins another spin last night. Just more amazement from the SC 05. The fight scene on the ice had me saying (to no one in particular, as I was watching it alone)...WOW! The cracking ice had more of a "real" feel than anytime I can remember when watching this movie. The sound truly transmitted the "feel" and sound of the dangerousness of fighting on ice that was about to break. It had an "ominous" sound, sounds I don't recall ever transmitting that type of depth before.

Then, there was the fight scene in the shipyard. I could actually hear the echos of sound as they bounced off the shipping containers. That was a first.

The BATMOBILE actually sounded like a real car with a bad ass engine (which, in reality, it is).

Seen this movie dozens of times. It was a new experience this time around, though.

Really looking forward to screening the new movie tonight.

You didn't mention SVS - www.svsound.com Their subwoofers are outstanding and they provide great customer service. I own an SVS PC-ULTRA and it's one awesome sub
Old 12-02-2008, 07:58 AM

Hi all,

I'm almost ready to buy an SC05 or 07. I know we are not supposed to talk pricing here but was wondering if anyone could PM me and tell me how much they paid for the 05 or 07 and where you bought it from? I'm specifically interested in pricing from the forum sponsors.

Thanks.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHP_VR View Post

First, apologies to FilmMixer and Juan.........

I hope by now you know I respect your opinions and take anything you say seriously... I was all set to order the rockets from AV123... they weren't in stock at the time (last month) and their website's been going up and down recently....

I went to a local AV dealer Sunday I've used in the past and auditioned the 600s, 703, 704, and CMTs from B&K, an AE (acoustic elegance - ridiculous price), and several Vienna Acoustics (very nice)..

I walked out of the store with Bowers&Wilkins 704 floor-standing speakers and a B&W HTM7 center speaker (well actually, I went back home and got the SAV.. It wouldn't fit in the Z4 and my better half got ticked off when I said she could hang on the hood--- women..)......

In the back of my mind, I will have a tinge of regret for not having the opportunity to try the Rockets, but I have to say, I really really love the 704s.

Got them home, did a MCACC with the SC-07.. put on a CD and.....WOW!
Put in Hellboy II..... WOW!

Music is wonderful (I now understand the meaning of "FRONT STAGE", instead of just imagining I did), and the HTM7 is great for Movies and television.. extreme dialogue clarity, besides it reminds me of an old farnsworth or philco 1940s radio!

Thanks for your recommendations!
Gonna be bi-amping and reaaranging again for a bit, more fun!

I'm satisfied with my system now... well, almost, kinda sorta..
as someone wise here once said.. "Just one more thing, and that's all I need"

Congrats CHP_VR,

I was in the same boat as you earlier this year. A good friend of mine has AV123 Rockets and I was ready to buy some but they didn't have the one's I wanted in stock and it wasn't clear how long the wait was so I auditioned the 6 and 7 series B&W at a B&M store and ended up buying the 7 series like you. I have not been disappointed and I'm sure you won't either. Thank god I sold my 4308 b/c with that receiver I was not overly impressed with the sound and thought about buying a separate amplifier. Instead I bought the SC-07 and it really woke the speakers up and I don't think I need a separate amp anymore.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

RCJ....you're right. SVS would be another of those online only brands. While I wouldn't hesitate to do business with SVS, I've been very pleased with my HSU. As such, I don't feel the need to try anything else (at least not right now).

Old 12-02-2008, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Just curious, what are you guys using for surge protection/conditioners? I have a Monster surge protector but was thinking about getting a Panamax protector/conditioner but was wondering if they are a waste of money. I did a search and found some believers and non-believers.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked: 1988
Quote:

First, apologies to FilmMixer and Juan.........

I hope by now you know I respect your opinions and take anything you say seriously... I was all set to order the rockets from AV123... they weren't in stock at the time (last month) and their website's been going up and down recently....

CHP... why apologize?

I love my Strata's and Rockets... and I've been treated very well by Mark and his company..

One of the things I've come to love about him is his honesty.. and he'd say the same thing I am about to...

You got some great speakers...

AV123 excels at bang for the buck and excellent workmanship and quality, but B&W makes a great product, and if and when I have to replace my speakers, they will be the first company I look at... that is unless the Rocket 2 series is out.

Congrats!
Old 12-02-2008, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patgilm View Post

Just curious, what are you guys using for surge protection/conditioners? I have a Monster surge protector but was thinking about getting a Panamax protector/conditioner but was wondering if they are a waste of money. I did a search and found some believers and non-believers.

I use a Monster HT3500, it is one of the older ones and got it thru a friend who use to work for Monster, you would not believe the mark up on there stuff. Anyway, it has come in handy because of the switched outlets and the 12v triggers. I figured it was better to be safe than sorry, oh and it also got rid of a hum coming thru my subwoofers.

Juan

My HT
Old 12-02-2008, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breadvan View Post

Sorry haven’t got time to closely follow the thread lately.

These are the most recent posts by graphicguy and WS65711 addressing heat issues.

Personally, mine never gets above warm (enclosed cabinet, back open). The vent fan is located on the left side (looking at the faceplate),so you want to keep that free of obstructions ).Picture of fan

Juan has a really nice setup with a cooling fan he built and installed here and here

If you're really serious about the SC series, you may want to spend a few hours going through the thread, there's a lot of good info.. the first page has links to online reviews, and reviews from members here (includes comparisons with various AVRs and speaker systems... have fun!

"you're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me"
Questions about the SC-07 or SC-05? start here
Old 12-02-2008, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks, FilmMixer, mainly because since you all recommended them, I know they must be special (I was willing to purchase them just on your recommendations, and that's something I don't normally do).. so I will regret not being able to try them.

That being said, I do like my new B&Ws!
Like Blue said, It's like having a whole new system again!
Still very very happy with my SC-07 every time I turn it on...well that's not entirely true, I like looking at it when it's not on too

Old 12-02-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:

If you're really serious about the SC series, you may want to spend a few hours going through the thread, there's a lot of good info.. the first page has links to online reviews, and reviews from members here (includes comparisons with various AVRs and speaker systems... have fun!

Not directed towards me, but I think I'll take you up on that if there's a lot of good info. It will probably take a few hours though...
Old 12-02-2008, 09:56 AM

Breadvan, my experience is similar to CHP's--enclosed, open back--and it seems little more than warm to me, even after extended use. One post I read, perhaps in this thread, posited that the video processor puts out more heat than the amps. I've no idea if this is true or not, and I've not A/B'd the SC-07 when it's upconverting and when it's passing through an HDMI signal.

My humble 600 series B&W's certainly do not cause it to generate much warmth, but CHP has undoubtedly been diligent in undertaking the drudgery of breaking in his new 704's and CC ("Hon, I know it's been seven hours straight and we've had a few compaints from the neighbors, but these speakers require a careful high volume break-in. Trust me, I've researched this. It would be a shame to spend all of this money and not take proper care of the equipment."). CHP can probably give you an authoritative evaluation about heat during heavy use.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patgilm View Post

I'm using Triplite line conditioners.. I've used them for years (at least one is 10 years old) for the computer systems, display, wife's sewing equipment, even the microwave,... got to around here, the electricity is always going up or down and that really shortens the life of any equipment. For the SC-07 I've added a APC XS 1000 UPS backup plugged into the Triplite circuit because I happened to have one.

I know the technology's changed, so I'm wondering about the new "specialty AV conditioners" are they really protective, or placebo, or something I should really consider...

Old 12-02-2008, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modest Explorer View Post

.........................................but CHP has undoubtedly been diligent in undertaking the drudgery of breaking in his new 704's and CC ("Hon, I know it's been seven hours straight and we've had a few compaints from the neighbors, but these speakers require a careful high volume break-in. Trust me, I've researched this. It would be a shame to spend all of this money and not take proper care of the equipment."). ......................................

LOL;
You must've been listening! That's almost verbatim.

Quote:

One post I read, perhaps in this thread, posited that the video processor puts out more heat than the amps

Yeah, catapult and ss9001. The SC-09 evidently generates a bit more heat and is noticiable when doing a lot of video processing..

Old 12-02-2008, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonebraker View Post

Not directed towards me, but I think I'll take you up on that if there's a lot of good info. It will probably take a few hours though...

ah, but think of it as "quality time" before bringing your new baby home

Old 12-02-2008, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Just a quick update. I will be setting up my SC-07 today. My opportunity on Sunday was blown do to emergency at work. Then Monday was one of my 12 hour days so I did not have much opportunity yesterday. Tuesday and Wednesdays are my days off so plenty of time to set it up and play with it now.

Right now I am running a movie for the last time on my Onkyo and taking the SC-07 out of the box. I really admire its build quality and its not that heavy despite its massive size.

I also ordered a Pioneer BDP-51FD Blu Ray player to go with it just for the heck of it. I thought really hard about going with the Elite BDP-05FD but I did not find a lot of meaningful difference in the specs and the price was nearly doubled for the Elite labeled machine. Maybe next year I will get an Elite Blu Ray player if is released at a more attractive price with better video processing.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:45 AM
Gov
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicguy View Post

GOV.....you'll like that HSU SW. I've been a fan of HSU for years. Even though mine is several years old now, I can't find any good reason to switch out my VTF-3 (although that MFW 15 was mighty tempting...especially at the $499 price I saw recently)

Thanks! I am looking forward to it. It replaces a Mirage Omni-S12 which was a very good sub in its own right. Now if than darn Fed Ex guy would just get here.................

Main HT Room: Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV3, Sony BDP-S5100, Speakers: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers, Sierra Horizon and HTM-200SE, Dual Power Sound Audio XV15 Subwoofers
Basement HT Room: Panny TC-P58V10 (Black Level Restored!), Denon AVR-E300, Comcast X1 STB, Sony BDP-S590, Speakers: Wave Crest Audio HVL-1 (L/C/R), Pioneer SP-BS 22 (Surr) and Power Sound Audio XV15 Subwoofer
Old 12-02-2008, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Longhaul747,

Keep us up to date and please post your impressions!!

Play some favorite cd music on your present system before you disconnect and hook up your new SC-07 as well.

You will really like the way your new Blu-ray integrates with the SC-07!
Be sure to update it with the newest firmware, they did lot's of performance improvements..

Old 12-02-2008, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan View Post

I use a Monster HT3500, it is one of the older ones and got it thru a friend who use to work for Monster, you would not believe the mark up on there stuff. Anyway, it has come in handy because of the switched outlets and the 12v triggers. I figured it was better to be safe than sorry, oh and it also got rid of a hum coming thru my subwoofers.

Juan....that's what I've got. And, I agree, markup on Monster "stuff" borders on sinful. Stay away from their cables, that's for sure. But, I do really like me 3500 (mine's actually a Mk II....don't know if that makes a difference). It cleaned up my cable picture from the SA box. So, on that note, it was worth the investment (got mine from a store who was going out of business). It's also "tripped" a couple of times during storms, too. So, I'll assume it's also doing it's job as a surge protector. If I'm to believe the meter on the front, it's also stabilized the voltage coming out of my wall outlet (which used to be all over the place).

So, good investment? Absolutely. Is it better (or worse) than a Panamax? Not sure about that. Mine does its job and does it well, though.

Great build quality to boot. Here's a brief description (but I don't think they're in production)....

http://www.buy.com/prod/Monster_Powe.../90119434.html

GOV....not real familiar with the Mirage subs. But, that HSU VTF 3 goes LOW, good output, and not a "one note wonder" like a lot of subs. It can be musical if you ask it to. Let us know what you think (it's a beast, make sure you ate your Wheaties this a.m. before you wrestle with it).

Old 12-02-2008, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Heating and ventilation:

Exaust fan location: Left side of unit (looking from faceplate)

Discussions:
General consensus:
Heat has not been an issue with these units.
Ice Amps are very efficient which translates to low heat. On the other hand, video processing will generate heat. The SC-09 for example. ss9001
Use prudence, if you are using an enclosed cabinet, or installing with very little ventilation (particularly the left side where the exhaust fan is located), a cooling fan would not hurt.

To quote Dave Vaughn
Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer
Ultimate AV
Contributing Writer
Home Theater Magazine (Online)
:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

The video processing section gets hotter than the amp section. They aren't called "Ice" amps for nothing

Fan installations:
Juan's custom built cooler more pictures

Sources:
Cooler guys
Buy extras

CAD drawings for measurements (pdf format):
SC-07
SC-05

Old 12-02-2008, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

adding above as a link in the first page.. if I need to add or substract from here, please let me know. Alternatively, if you all don't think this is warranted, let me know... I'll replace it with pictures of my SC-07

Old 12-02-2008, 02:10 PM

Well, hooked up my SC-05 last night. Didn't have much time to play with it and I'm still waiting for my subs (next week). One (maybe two) question.

How loud is the MCACC setup? I have lots of little ones running around during most of the day and was thinking about running it tonight after most people go to sleep.

I will look through the thread for number two, but it wasn't obvious to me how to get component video from my DirecTV to show make it to HDMI out to my plasma. It's hooked up right, but there must be some setting I'm missing.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

adding above as a link in the first page.. if I need to add or substract from here, please let me know. Alternatively, if you all don't think this is warranted, let me know... I'll replace it with pictures of my SC-07

Great work man, really appreciate all the time and effort you put into this thread. This thread would not be half as good without your contributions. Thanks.

Juan

My HT
Old 12-02-2008, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurylian View Post

Well, hooked up my SC-05 last night. Didn't have much time to play with it and I'm still waiting for my subs (next week). One (maybe two) question.

How loud is the MCACC setup? I have lots of little ones running around during most of the day and was thinking about running it tonight after most people go to sleep.

I will look through the thread for number two, but it wasn't obvious to me how to get component video from my DirecTV to show make it to HDMI out to my plasma. It's hooked up right, but there must be some setting I'm missing.

Might want to do it after the little ones are in bed, not because it's loud (it will wake them up in a small place). But, because you'll need a relatively quiet environment for the MCACC to get correct readings.

Not DirectTv, but I've got me wii component in to HDMI out to my KURO. No issues. Just assign wherever you've got the STB connected.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Heating and ventilation:

Exaust fan location: Left side of unit (looking from faceplate)

Discussions:

Graphicguy
WS65711
Modest Explorer

General consensus:
Heat has not been an issue with these units.
Ice Amps are very efficient which translates to low heat. On the other hand, video processing will generate heat. The SC-09 for example. ss9001
Use prudence, if you are using an enclosed cabinet, or installing with very little ventilation (particularly the left side where the exhaust fan is located), a cooling fan would not hurt.

Fan installations:
Juan's custom built cooler more pictures

Sources:
Cooler guys
Buy extras

Charles....how do you get your pics to show up in the posts. I've tried and tried, and have been unsuccessful.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Longhaul747,

Keep us up to date and please post your impressions!!

Play some favorite cd music on your present system before you disconnect and hook up your new SC-07 as well.

You will really like the way your new Blu-ray integrates with the SC-07!
Be sure to update it with the newest firmware, they did lot's of performance improvements..

Well...I got the preliminary set up done!!

AND.............?????

Its freaking Awesome!!

Before I did any calibration I checked for proper function and I noticed the moment I got sound I was in for a treat. It sounded so much cleaner, vibrant and powerful over the Onkyo its almost night and day.

One thing I noticed off the bat and its kind of a surprise was the increase in video quality. My 875 has a Reon processor that can't be completely disabled even when set to Bypass. Under certain rare circumstances having the receiver doing the processing may have an advantage but with today's high quality video devices its seldom a benefit in reality. On both my blu ray player and my Oppo 983 I was getting a fair amount of aliasing (stair stepping) in the video. At first I written it off as my display (Samsung 67" DLP) but to my surprise this artifact was completely gone when running through the SC-07. Picture also looks a little tighter, cleaner with more vibrant colors. Shame on Onkyo for not making the internal Reon processor completely defeatable in the 875.

After gawking at it for a while I tried the MCACC auto setup. Pretty simple to perform. Like the Onkyo it will go into this auto calibration automatically by just plugging in the microphone. After setting up the mic on a tripod at my seating position and myself going to hide in the corner I let it do its thing. It took a few minutes to perform but I liked how it told you what it was doing on the screen. I don't remember Audyssey being so thorough. After checking the data things did not change much. It appears according to MCACC I am lucky and my room is fairly flat. Speaker size, type and distance were all accurate down to within a few inches except for the front right was off by about 6". I just left it thinking maybe acoustically its the proper distance plus lets face it. Nothing outside of test equipment can detect a 6" difference anyway.

After running MCACC I put in the Blu Ray version of Wall-E. I found the sound stage was improved and the sound sounded a bit more flat without any peaks or valleys in the sound stage. I found the experience to be rather invigorating. Unlike Audyssey this MCACC system actually works. I suppose everything works a little different for everybody but Audyssey was a joke for me. No matter what I tried I always found that Audyssey introduced a processed sound that increased distortion and made my home theater sound like a tunnel. This is NOT the case with MCACC. I know Audyssey has a huge fan base and seems to work well for many and in theory is a more advanced system but in my case MCACC is a far better auto calibration system. I do admire MCACC's simplicity over the Audyssey. For example only one mic location vs 3 or more for Audyssey. Doing it more will provide more uniform results and this is how we do it in cinema calibration but at home its not that necessary I think.

Not all is well so far. I seem to have HDMI handshake issues with my DLP TV and my Samsung 1400 Blu Ray player. Every time the menu changes or whatever I loose the signal and it will not reestablish its self. If I take the input dial and turn it to something else and then put it back on Blu input I can get the picture back until something changes again. So far it works every time but very annoying and should not be happening. This also did not ever happen on my 875. So something is a bit flaky here. If anyone has any suggestions please pass on. I do see some HDMI config options in the setup menu. Perhaps one of these will help? Also I never loose audio when I loose the picture. Tomorrow my Pioneer BDP-51FD arrives and if I am lucky perhaps this issue will just go away.

Also I find it odd that on the display the LFE channel stays lit and active even though I don't currently have my sub hooked up. MCACC has it set to off. Its not a big deal and can't be noticed but still odd. When the sub is hooked up its a non issue in reality. Just something I noticed!!

I also don't find any issues using my BIC Acoustech horn driven speakers. They seem to be digging it and sound better then ever. These speakers are actually very good horn driven speakers that rate up there with the Klipsch Reference Series but come in and a 1/4 of the cost. I have had mine for almost 2 years now and I never regret that purchase.

Still lots more to discuss and discover. Right now I just want to enjoy its magic then read the manual to see what is has to offer and what cool stuff I can do with it. I admit I was a bit skeptical and as I was removing the Onkyo I was saying to myself that I was crazy and the difference is not going to be worth the price. A lot of times its not but with the SC-07 hooked up I can honestly say it is worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement