"Official" RX-V1900/RX-V3900 Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 6043 Old 10-27-2008, 03:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I love my new 3900! I have a few questions/comments, particularly for those who have already gotten theirs.

Rhapsody: I have used it successfully a few times with the free (25 songs/month) account. It has been intermittent with songs dropping out during play. It could be my network connection, so I was wondering if anyone else who has tried it has noticed similar anomalies.

iPod Dock: Using the YDS-11SL, I have successfully connected my 4G iPod Photo and my 3G iPod nano. They have never sounded better! The 4G iPod Photo's album covers do not show up on the TV, though. It tries to get them (they are imdedded in the sound files,) but it fails and reverts to musical notes instead. Using the 3G iPod nano, I get the album covers just fine. However, they are really distorted. They look fine on the iPod displays and the computer.

PgUp/PgDn: When you are browsing a long list of songs files from Internet Radio or from an iPod, how do you do a PgUp or PgDn to advance an entire screen of songs? The standard convention for this (on cable boxes, for example) is ChannelUp/ChannelDown. I can't find a way to do this with the 3900. The TV CH + and TV CH - buttons don't do it. Is there a way to do this using the 3900's remote? Using UpArrow/DownArrow for hundreds of songs is lame.

Thanks Michael and everyone else for the wealth of information in this thread!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 6043 Old 10-28-2008, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikl1984 View Post

direct link to Yamaha

My kind of forum member! If you happen to stumble over a similar link for Receiver Manager for the RX-V3900, I'd be grateful (It may not be out just yet? I've tried lots of permutations of that link (e.g., V3900_V1.zip, V3900_V100.zip, V3900_V101.zip) in the blind to No Joy.)
post #363 of 6043 Old 10-28-2008, 11:13 AM

Re. Rhapsody dropouts: haven't tried.

Re. iPod Album Art distorted. I noticed this as well with a 4g nano. Many of my albums don't even have album art. But for the ones that do I see what you describe. It just doesn't look as good as I expected. (I should add: this may just be a limitation: I don't think what it stores in the metadata is very high resolution at all. I agree it looks OK on the iPod screen, but how much res is that? Not much…)

Re. PgUp/Down: I don't know of a way around this and don't recall reading one in the (LONG) thread for the 1800/3800 which have the same UI in this area. I hadn't really thought of an alternate method till you raised this. I agree it makes it hard to navigate some of the long lists that are readily available on the 'net sources.
post #364 of 6043 Old 10-28-2008, 11:56 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick W View Post

My kind of forum member! If you happen to stumble over a similar link for Receiver Manager for the RX-V3900, I'd be grateful (It may not be out just yet? I've tried lots of permutations of that link (e.g., V3900_V1.zip, V3900_V100.zip, V3900_V101.zip) in the blind to No Joy.)

IMHO it doesn't exist on this site now. Let's wait several weeks and repeat.
I know rules of naming - therefore able to find a lot of info about Yamaha.
Please see my findings in russian forum. http://forum.ixbt.com/topic.cgi?id=62:12246
post #365 of 6043 Old 10-28-2008, 01:23 PM

Quote:

Re. iPod Album Art distorted. I noticed this as well with a 4g nano. Many of my albums don't even have album art. But for the ones that do I see what you describe. It just doesn't look as good as I expected. (I should add: this may just be a limitation: I don't think what it stores in the metadata is very high resolution at all. I agree it looks OK on the iPod screen, but how much res is that? Not much…)

Re. PgUp/Down: I don't know of a way around this and don't recall reading one in the (LONG) thread for the 1800/3800 which have the same UI in this area. I hadn't really thought of an alternate method till you raised this. I agree it makes it hard to navigate some of the long lists that are readily available on the 'net sources.

Thanks for your reply!

Yeah, the album art within the MP3 files is not hi-rez, for sure. I suppose, since the 3900 is an internet device that it could have gone out to the Net to get album art, but it would have slowed down the presentation. I have a large screen, so in light of the quality of the album art as presented by the 3900, I guess I would have liked the option to turn it off.

IMHO, the real problem is the PgUp/PgDn issue. If it turns out not to be available, that would be quite disappointing. Most people have hundreds if not thousands of songs on their iPods.

Regardless, the 3900 is an incredible receiver that sounds GREAT and does so many things extremely well. It should begin to win awards once reviewers get to play with it.
post #366 of 6043 Old 10-28-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ira_l View Post

since the 3900 is an internet device that it could have gone out to the Net to get album art

I bet that would take a lot more data stored in the iPod than is actually stored there and a lot more code in the receiver than they would have wanted to do. You'd basically be talking about lots of iTunes code replicated into the receiver for it to independently be able to go get the higher res album art on its own from the available data in the iPod to tell it what album to go look for art for. And how often does iTunes have to ask you to resolve issues when ripping over multiple database entries for the CD? And how often is the album art just wrong? I suspect that Yamaha, if they even thought about taking on that headache, would have just skipped it.

Hopefully someone will chime in with a solution to the PgUp/Dn issue now that it's raised in the thread. I'm not holding my breath but you do raise a good UI issue. Maybe the RX-Z12 will solve this next fall and then the fall after that it will trickle down to the RX-V4100?
post #367 of 6043 Old 10-28-2008, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikl1984 View Post

Please see my findings in russian forum. http://forum.ixbt.com/topic.cgi?id=62:12246

Looks like a lot of good info. Unfortunately http://translate.google.com doesn't translate the whole page. But I can take sections and translate them and get close.
post #368 of 6043 Old 10-28-2008, 02:36 PM

Has anyone tried using the DLNA features to stream music from network based media server ?

If so, do you know whether the DLNA features will work equally well with a Mac acting as a media server as it would a PC ? I see reference to Windows Media Player in the user manual but this doesn't run on a Mac, so wondered if was going to face issues here ?

Thanks for this...
post #369 of 6043 Old 10-28-2008, 02:49 PM

Hola! After what I would have classified as the bird flu, was finally able to get back around to trying out a few things based around my issues.

And, I've narrowed it down to one component - the frickin Westy LCD. I grabbed my other LCD of a different brand name and hooked it up to the receiver and lo' and behold - PS3 worked, along with my other HDCP issue getting resolved (d/l'd an HD movie off of xbox marketplace and all it did was blink, blink, blink on the Westy - worked fine when I swapped TV's). Now my issue lies around the fact that I cannot get any of my thumb drives to work properly in order to 'flash' the Westy with new firmware. So, if anyone has a plethora of different brand name thumb drives they're willing to let me borrow...

Some weirdness, in a way - I've had processing on for a week, using the Westy. It looks great and it didn't miss a beat. So much so that I forgot I turned it on until I started screwing around with the receiver, again, today. BUT...I on the 'other' LCD...it looked like crap with processing on. Weird.

Everything else has been superb with this receiver, everything works as advertised. I do agree about the album art, and I've not had any issues with Rhapsody, and not sure about Mac and DLNA (no Mac here).

The ozone layer or cheese in a spray can? Don't make me choose
post #370 of 6043 Old 10-28-2008, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostie202 View Post

Has anyone tried using the DLNA features to stream music from network based media server ?

Frostie,

I'm afraid I don't have a MAC, but I have successfully streamed music from my PC to the 3900.

Once set up properly, it will stream songs that you have added to Windows Media Player 11's library.

It works perfectly, as described.

According to Yamaha's website, "DLNA certification ensures a device has been tested and proven compatible with various CE, PC and mobile devices designed according to the DLNA Interoperability Guidelines." (whatever those guidelines happen to be...they charge a fee to download them from the DLNA website.) This and other descriptions on the DLNA website seem to indicate that MAC compatibility is not part of the spec.
post #371 of 6043 Old 10-28-2008, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyMelon View Post

I do agree about the album art, and I've not had any issues with Rhapsody

Rhapsody worked fine for me tonight, and I must say that the album cover art looks fine on the Rhapsody songs. It appears that you can listen all you want to the Rhapsody channels on a "free membership;" the 25 songs per month only applies to individual songs that you select. There are quite a few Rhapsody channels. What I heard sounded great!
post #372 of 6043 Old 10-28-2008, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 99
When I get my 3900, I will try to get streaming working from my macbook. One solution for Mac owners is the Airport express, which runs about $100. It's not bug free - I often have problems with music dropping. Problems that come and go with no warning. But when it works, it's seamless. You probably want to stick to using it's optical port, and not it's analog port.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #373 of 6043 Old 10-28-2008, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Has the BTB and WTW issue fix been confirmed?

PSN: J_Rodz2588
post #374 of 6043 Old 10-28-2008, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 154
If anyone has the HTR-6290 (it's available at Best Buy Canada), I believe there's a good chance Receiver Manager for the RX-V1900 will work with it (because the .exe file contains two different model IDs, R0240 and R0241).

This is better than RMS for the 1800 which only looks for the specific model ID of the 1800, and won't work with the 6190.
post #375 of 6043 Old 10-28-2008, 07:26 PM

Quote:

Re. iPod Album Art distorted. I noticed this as well with a 4g nano. Many of my albums don't even have album art. But for the ones that do I see what you describe. It just doesn't look as good as I expected. (I should add: this may just be a limitation: I don't think what it stores in the metadata is very high resolution at all. I agree it looks OK on the iPod screen, but how much res is that? Not much)

I can't display album art from my iPod nano (latest gen whatever number). What am I doing wrong?
post #376 of 6043 Old 10-28-2008, 07:53 PM

I figured it out!

HOLD DOWN the Up Arrow or Down Arrow. At first, it will scroll slowly up or down until it finishes the page you are on. Shortly afterward, it will PgUp or PgDn (depending on which key you are holding down.)

Has anyone ever seen a remote behave this way?

Anyway, it's pretty fast and takes a little getting used to, but at least it can be done!

I feel better now!
post #377 of 6043 Old 10-28-2008, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Mine came in today. I have to go out of town on business, but it'll be delivered with my new Pardigm's when I get back... So this time next week I should have my system in my den complete. Is anybody else running Paradigm Monitor series speakers with it?
post #378 of 6043 Old 10-28-2008, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ25 View Post

Has the BTB and WTW issue fix been confirmed?

I think so. %99 sure

post #379 of 6043 Old 10-28-2008, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I figured it out!

HOLD DOWN the Up Arrow or Down Arrow. At first, it will scroll slowly up or down until it finishes the page you are on. Shortly afterward, it will PgUp or PgDn (depending on which key you are holding down.)

Has anyone ever seen a remote behave this way?

Anyway, it's pretty fast and takes a little getting used to, but at least it can be done!

I feel better now!

I gave up on the NET music feature for these usability reasons. At least they could have offered an A-Z feature. I know it's not an iPod, but it's a LOT MORE FREAKIN expensive than one too. I feel that a feature in a pricey (close to 2k MSRP) should not feel like a poorly implemented after thought.

Not that that's kept me from buying a 3900 after owning a 2700. I am a masochist that way

Internet radio, on the other hand, is pretty cool. I can find listenable stations without too much effort.

post #380 of 6043 Old 10-28-2008, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

I feel that a feature in a pricey (close to 2k MSRP) should not feel like a poorly implemented after thought.

Exactly!

I also feel that the web interface should have been more full-featured. People are going to want to control the 3900 with their iPhones. Those people are so used to using their iPhones to do everything other than pee, that they will want to use it to control their home theatre - particularly one which has a web interface.
post #381 of 6043 Old 10-28-2008, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Man, a peeing iPhone would be awesome. How many TDs, and goals scored I would have not missed! Let me know if Job's can work that one into the 4G model.

(I don't own an iPhone; my phone is already smarter than I am; at very least it seems to be outsmarting me at the moment.)

post #382 of 6043 Old 10-28-2008, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

How do you select a decoder for multi-channel sources? On my RX-V2700, you have to hit exrd sur, then hit the right arrow button while the decoder was displayed to rotate through the decoders.

Did they change this so you just hit the 'Surr Decode' button to select decoders whether it's a two channel a multi-channel source? And they remove the select button?

I can't say the remote looks more usable in general though. But it does look like they made the surround decoder selection much more obvious.

post #383 of 6043 Old 10-28-2008, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Here's on odd one. This happened on my RX-V2700 tonight. I was messing around with a lot of modes tonight for some reason. At one point I switched to Pure Direct, and the sound got much louder. That seemed odd. I then switched inputs to the tuner. Same thing. Pure Direct at least twice as loud.

At some point, while looking at a settings, switching inputs and turning off the TV, the problem went away. What?? Weird. I turned the TV back on, thinking it was some flukey thing related to the TV. The problem did not resurface. Receivers are getting like computers in their predictability

post #384 of 6043 Old 10-29-2008, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

How do you select a decoder for multi-channel sources?

Yeah, it's MUCH easier now!

I have an old Panasonic DVD/VCR which plays DVD-Audios. It predates HDMI, so you need to use its onboard decoder. I've left it connected specifically for that purpose. The VCR section isn't even cabled!

There is a MULTI button on the remote. When you select that, it switches to whatever you have hooked into the six RCA jacks in the Multi Input section. The DSP is switched off when you select MULTI.

The tricky part was how to get the video to switch along with it so that you could simultaneously view the DVD-Audio menus, watch included videos, etc.

There is a setting in the 3900's menu system that allows you to select what the background is for that input, and I chose DVD. I have that DVD/VCR connected to the 3900 with component video.

So, it works and it's really easy.

Strangely enough, the tone control does not work when the MULTI input is selected. I have noticed, for example, that the output to the subwoofer is thin in this case. This was true on my previous receiver, so I'm not surprised.

As expected, the record out is disabled when MULTI is selected, so you can't pirate your favorite DVD-Audio disc.

See Page 2, Page 22, Page 37, Page 86 in the Owners Manual.
post #385 of 6043 Old 10-29-2008, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:

have an old Panasonic DVD/VCR which plays DVD-Audios. It predates HDMI, so you need to use its onboard decoder.
Strangely enough, the tone control does not work when the MULTI input is selected. I have noticed, for example, that the output to the subwoofer is thin in this case. This was true on my previous receiver, so I'm not surprised.

You basically have to recalibrate your levels for the analog inputs to get the bass sounding right, because the analog SW channel output from a DVD-A player may need boosting in the receiver. I don't remember all the details, but it's a real pain to have one calibration that works properly for both digital and analog inputs. i.e. while trying to get it right for the analog inputs you can mess up everything for your digital inputs. But if you do it right you won't have thin bass from the multi-channel inputs.
post #386 of 6043 Old 10-29-2008, 07:44 AM

Liked: 12
How is the video performance on the 3900? Is the ABT 2010 chip better than Reon or the Faroudjas? Thanks.
post #387 of 6043 Old 10-29-2008, 06:41 PM

While we're at it, can people also give their opinions on how useful/effective PReP actually is ?

I'm assuming you guys are evaluating the video side of things also ?

It appears to have gone a little quiet on the opinion/review sides of things at the moment. Does this mean you're all happily playing with your new 3900's ?

Many thanks
post #388 of 6043 Old 10-29-2008, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I just received my 3900. It sounds awesome. Much more liveleness to music and movies than my JVC. One issue is that the remote didn't work at first and then about a half hour later it worked and now stopped again. Any thoughts?
post #389 of 6043 Old 10-29-2008, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Try different batteries in the remote. Make sure the batteries are can't shift around in the remote. If the problem keeps up, maybe they can just replace the remote for you without you needing the whole receiver.

post #390 of 6043 Old 10-30-2008, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayven View Post

I just received my 3900. It sounds awesome. Much more liveleness to music and movies than my JVC. One issue is that the remote didn't work at first and then about a half hour later it worked and now stopped again. Any thoughts?

As a new Yammy user you may not be aware of the source selector switch on the right side of the remote. Leave it on "Source" when you want to control your components and "AMP" when you want to control things like the sound fields.
Hopefully it's either this or your batteries, not a faulty unit.

"What are you waiting for, you're faster than this. Don't think you are, know you are"
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page