Forum Jump: 

post #3931 of 6052 Old 09-30-2009, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

I programmed it. Did you read the thread?

OK, I read the thread and now I see what you have done. I wonder if this device could also solve the problem I have with my OPPO DV-980H? There is a two second delay on the first song played from CDs or DVD-A discs if you use HDMI to connect to your receiver. If you use analog, there is no such delay. Oppo knows about this and suggests using analog instead.

Hmmm...

Thanks again, Michael!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3932 of 6052 Old 09-30-2009, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I am not sure it would fix that delay. Sounds like Oppo has a problem they don't want to be bothered to fix.

My Yamaha DVD changer, which pisses me off everytime I think of all it's annoyances, does not have the problem. If it, with all it's many issues, can manage to play CDs without delay, you would think Oppo, with better product, could manage

p.s. Don't buy Yamaha DVD changers. I don't think they make their own. And they seem to have no interest in a quality product. I bet I paid $400 for my changer to get a changer that could play CD, DVD, DVD Audio and SACD over HDMI. SACD/DVD Audio require a multi-channel analog connection, the drawer sticks, audio/video regularly lose sync, and I think exposure to the poorly written manual, and crappy GUI cause cancer in lab rats.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #3933 of 6052 Old 09-30-2009, 05:54 PM

Anyone know when the 3900 is likely to be replaced with a new and improved model. I thought Yamaha normally brings out its new receivers in the fall. Thanks.
post #3934 of 6052 Old 09-30-2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolshark69 View Post

I am hedging my bets on a firmware issue. I have had the unit at my house for over 5 months and didn't do a firmware update...that i remember. Gonna try tonight if I can get the little guy to bed early.

Pretty easy process. Let us know if it works.

The ozone layer or cheese in a spray can? Don't make me choose
post #3935 of 6052 Old 09-30-2009, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11 View Post

Anyone know when the 3900 is likely to be replaced with a new and improved model. I thought Yamaha normally brings out its new receivers in the fall. Thanks.

This has been discussed a lot. I have seen no info. One theory is that Yamaha is waiting to release HDMI 1.4 receivers.

post #3936 of 6052 Old 10-02-2009, 03:58 PM

I can no longer see GUI menu or OSD on the TV.

I've had the RXV3900 since January and all has worked well. Cable box was attached to receiver via HDMI, and DVD via component. I had an older CRT TV that was attached to receiver via analog video RCA cable. I could see GUI and OSD with this setup.

I replaced CRT TV with a Samsung LNS4696D HDTV. I removed analog video cable and replaced with an HDMI 1.3a cable. The TV worked fine, but the GUI and OSD did not display on TV. Yamaha tech support were not helpful. I then added the analog video cable back to receiver "monitor out" to the Samsung analog video input. Now I can see GUI menu, but I have to change inputs on the Samsung.

I have latest firmware. Any suggestions on how to view GUI via HDMI only?

Thanks
post #3937 of 6052 Old 10-02-2009, 04:46 PM

KeyBored,

Check page 37 and 83 regarding HDMI out. If you haven't done so already try using the "0" number button on the remote to cycle through the HDMI out options, it might be that you have the HDMI cable plugged into #1 socket but have the 3900 set on HDMI#2 or off.

Good luck.

Stuart.

"What are you waiting for, you're faster than this. Don't think you are, know you are"
post #3938 of 6052 Old 10-02-2009, 05:13 PM

Stuart

Thanks for the reply. Earlier, I physically switched HDMI 1 & 2, but no luck - I left it on 1. I tried cycling through the input options using "0" key, but again no luck. I'm thinking this may be a quirk with the older Samsung LNS4696D (released in mid 2006).
post #3939 of 6052 Old 10-02-2009, 05:20 PM
Azz

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyBored View Post

Stuart

Thanks for the reply. Earlier, I physically switched HDMI 1 & 2, but no luck - I left it on 1. I tried cycling through the input options using "0" key, but again no luck. I'm thinking this may be a quirk with the older Samsung LNS4696D (released in mid 2006).

Keybored,
Forget about the GUI for the minute, is any of the video/HDMI that you have connected to the Z7 (BR or DVD?) showing up on the Samsung?
post #3940 of 6052 Old 10-02-2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azz View Post

Keybored,
Forget about the GUI for the minute, is any of the video/HDMI that you have connected to the Z7 (BR or DVD?) showing up on the Samsung?

Yes, the Wii and the DVD player. Both work fine and can be switched with remote or input knob.
post #3941 of 6052 Old 10-02-2009, 05:56 PM
Azz

Quote:

Yes, the Wii and the DVD player. Both work fine and can be switched with remote or input knob.

If the DVD/Wii are routed through the AVR and you are getting picture on the TV via HDMI from either of those, there should be absolutely no reason why you aren't getting the GUI up.

No reason except an issue with the AVR unfortunately..........
post #3942 of 6052 Old 10-02-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azz View Post

If the DVD/Wii are routed through the AVR and you are getting picture on the TV via HDMI from either of those, there should be absolutely no reason why you aren't getting the GUI up.

No reason except an issue with the AVR unfortunately..........

But it worked fine when using analog video cable (when using older CRT TV), and works now that I've re-attached analog cable. Like I said above, I think it may be a problem with the Samsung TV.

Thanks for reply though. Since I'm the only one that uses the GUI (playing with settings and internet stuff), it's not a huge issue.
post #3943 of 6052 Old 10-02-2009, 06:16 PM
Azz

Quote:

But it worked fine when using analog video cable (when using older CRT TV), and works now that I've re-attached analog cable. Like I said above, I think it may be a problem with the Samsung TV.

Thanks for reply though. Since I'm the only one that uses the GUI (playing with settings and internet stuff), it's not a huge issue.

No "Buts" about it in my opinion if it was an issue with the TV then the TV would not show DVD/Wii over HDMI from the Yamaha.

I've got an issue with mine where the power plug on the back of the Z7 is not switching off as it should be and it's just something that I've not bothered getting fixed.
If you're OK with only getting the GUI over composite then so be it.
post #3944 of 6052 Old 10-02-2009, 06:58 PM

KeyBoard, do you get short messages such as volume adjustment over HDMI when using the wii or dvd?
I agree with Azz - it sounds like it the 3900, but if that's the only problem and you're happy to use composite then you could probably leave it the way it is.
You might want to consider the possibility it could become a bigger problem though, so it could be worth getting someone to check it out while under warranty. Sometimes stuff like this can wait until you'll be away from home for a few days (vacation), that way you don't really miss the unit while it's being looked at.

"What are you waiting for, you're faster than this. Don't think you are, know you are"
post #3945 of 6052 Old 10-03-2009, 10:00 AM

I tried the DVD player and the OSD and GUI worked, and shortly after found the problem.
I'm disabled and unable to get behind TV and stereo to check wiring, so I had wife look behind entertainment center. The Verizon installers (I just switched to Fios) did not follow my wiring instructions. They hooked up the HDMI cables as I requested, but they also added component out connections from cable box to the TV! Unbelievable. I had wife remove component cables and problem was solved.

Thanks all for your advice.
post #3946 of 6052 Old 10-03-2009, 11:38 AM

^Cool, glad you got the problem solved.

post #3947 of 6052 Old 10-03-2009, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Well I updated the firmware. I then had horrible picture through HDMI with all devices. I was ready to give up and I tried one last thing....another HDMI cable....yes another it took me 6 output HDMI cables to get it working.

Ran YPAO and it set all my speakers to small with 40 crossover. No idea if its right but certainly I find i need to turn this reciver up higher (according to teh volume numbers) than my 1500. I am watching tv at around -35 and my 360 which through the 1500 was usually at around -45 is now needed at almost -30. Weird. I ran YPAO 3 times just to confirm. It also set the sub to -10.

I think something is wrong.

Gamertag: Quicksilver1663
PSN: ujustshaturpants
post #3948 of 6052 Old 10-03-2009, 04:59 PM
Azz

Quote:

Well I updated the firmware. I then had horrible picture through HDMI with all devices. I was ready to give up and I tried one last thing....another HDMI cable....yes another it took me 6 output HDMI cables to get it working.

Ran YPAO and it set all my speakers to small with 40 crossover. No idea if its right but certainly I find i need to turn this reciver up higher (according to teh volume numbers) than my 1500. I am watching tv at around -35 and my 360 which through the 1500 was usually at around -45 is now needed at almost -30. Weird. I ran YPAO 3 times just to confirm. It also set the sub to -10.

I think I posted on here previously and recently on Sub levels and YPAO.

If the Level for the Sub has been set at -10 after running YPAO (and at a guess your other speakers are in the high +), it means that you have the volume level on the sub itself set too high.

Turn the Sub Volume down say 2 clock positions and then run YPAO again.

After you run YPAO, have a look at what the results are for levels - you may have to turn the sub volume down further and run the level check again.

Hope that helps.

Aaron
post #3949 of 6052 Old 10-03-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:

LOL, where the hell are you getting your cables?

I would set crossover at 80. That is most common. For me, and the man cave, got better results with surrounds at 100, rest at 80.

post #3950 of 6052 Old 10-03-2009, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I would be curious also why you are having so much problem with cables.

post #3951 of 6052 Old 10-04-2009, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

I have no idea about the cables...just plain weird. They are not cheap cables either. I am happy that at least the picture problem is fixed. I do find the picture a ton softer going through the AVR. I need to experiment with that though.

I will do the sub suggestion and run YPAO again. After that if there is no improvement I will manually set the cross over to 80.

post #3952 of 6052 Old 10-04-2009, 01:16 PM

^If you don't have processing on, it should be passing the signal straight through.

post #3953 of 6052 Old 10-04-2009, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I have no idea about the cables...just plain weird. They are not cheap cables either. I am happy that at least the picture problem is fixed. I do find the picture a ton softer going through the AVR. I need to experiment with that though.

I will do the sub suggestion and run YPAO again. After that if there is no improvement I will manually set the cross over to 80.

With processing off, I would not expect a change in sharpness. I have seen nothing like that.

Even with processing on, I would not expect to see anything like that. Under what exact settings, input resolution and output resolution are you seeing this softening?

Double check to make sure it's not your TV's settings for that input which cause the problem. For example, you did not use the same input, and those inputs don't have the same settings.

I have not seen anything like that on my system.

post #3954 of 6052 Old 10-04-2009, 03:10 PM
Azz

Quote:

Poolshark, what speakers do you have?
post #3955 of 6052 Old 10-05-2009, 05:49 AM
Advanced Member

Speakers are:

Fronts: Paradigm Monitor 5's
Surrounds: Paradigm Titans
Center: Paradigm CC-370
Sub: Paradigm PDR-10

post #3956 of 6052 Old 10-06-2009, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I ordered a Z7 from an unauthorized dealer/reseller. They gave me the name of the dealer they bought it from, who IS authorized (I called them directly using Yamaha's own information,) who says the warranty is good. But said it was only a year even though the reseller said two years. I am not all that concerned about one vs two years for a B stock item.

Because I believe it's either going to have some initial problem, fail in the first few months, or last for many years.

I do need to figure out what to test to make sure I hit everything. Maybe not the phono input as I have no phono. But I can test networking, zones, all HDMI inputs, both HDMI outputs, all inputs with the exception of S-Video, pretty much every video setting, GUI overlay etc. I suppose the best option is to create a list of everything tested.

I am fairly nervous about this deal

post #3957 of 6052 Old 10-07-2009, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Just curious as to why you are dumping your 3900?
post #3958 of 6052 Old 10-07-2009, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briandx View Post

Just curious as to why you are dumping your 3900?

I wanted some of the Z7 only features, such as the noise reduction. I was holping it would help with cable.

Supposedly it has a batter power supply. but the service manuals don't back that one up.

post #3959 of 6052 Old 10-07-2009, 04:26 PM

^Keeping both or selling 3900?

post #3960 of 6052 Old 10-07-2009, 04:31 PM
Azz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

I wanted some of the Z7 only features, such as the noise reduction. I was holping it would help with cable.

Supposedly it has a batter power supply. but the service manuals don't back that one up.

In the US is a Z7 cheaper than a 3900+ a DVD Edge?

Pretty sure that it is cheaper than that combo here is Aus.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page