http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/prod...own/index.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 6043 Old 11-10-2008, 09:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Of course you won't catch Yamaha in the US providing a hint…

I'll wait for someone else brave to try it. The ability to do it over the net is not mentioned anywhere in the US manual that I recall.
post #543 of 6043 Old 11-10-2008, 09:36 PM

It would be cool if it actually improved the front display; do that and I may be ready to jump in
post #544 of 6043 Old 11-10-2008, 09:46 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Before flashing new Firmware double check your current FWs via self-diagnostic.
In this case you will understand what blocks will update.
post #545 of 6043 Old 11-11-2008, 02:33 AM

Has anyone done comparison between 3900 and Denon 3808 & 4308?
post #546 of 6043 Old 11-11-2008, 05:04 AM

Has anyone experienced audio/video dropouts while watching a DVD or blu ray hooked up via HDMI without any video processing (i.e. passed through)? I have watched three different blu ray movies and have had 2-3 drops during each movie. I have the Sony 52XBR5 TV, which in other forums has posted this problem with other receivers (particularily the Denon 3808 which uses the Faroudja processor chip). I was hoping to avoid this problem with the Yamaha 3900 and was wondering if anyone has had this experienced. It may very well be a Sony problem (which they do not acknowledge). Any suggestions?
post #547 of 6043 Old 11-11-2008, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffhay1 View Post

Also is it confirmed on the 3900 that if you switch to an audio only source from video the video will not remain on screen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick W View Post

I haven't made it work and note that the description of this capability in the 3800 manual is missing from the 3900 manual. I'd love someone to prove me wrong.

Does disabling 'HDMI monitor' give any options in this issue?
post #548 of 6043 Old 11-11-2008, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamiabc View Post

Has anyone experienced audio/video dropouts while watching a DVD or blu ray hooked up via HDMI without any video processing (i.e. passed through)? I have watched three different blu ray movies and have had 2-3 drops during each movie. I have the Sony 52XBR5 TV, which in other forums has posted this problem with other receivers (particularily the Denon 3808 which uses the Faroudja processor chip). I was hoping to avoid this problem with the Yamaha 3900 and was wondering if anyone has had this experienced. It may very well be a Sony problem (which they do not acknowledge). Any suggestions?

What player you are using?
post #549 of 6043 Old 11-11-2008, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quenthal View Post

What player you are using?

The new Sony BDP-S550 which is HDMI v1.3
post #550 of 6043 Old 11-11-2008, 05:44 AM

Quote:

It would be cool if it actually improved the front display; do that and I may be ready to jump in

What would you be expecting as an improvement?
post #551 of 6043 Old 11-11-2008, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quenthal View Post

Does disabling 'HDMI monitor' give any options in this issue?

As in advanced settings HDMI MONITOR CHECK? I haven't tried it, but from the decription in the manual it sounds like all this does is enable the receiver to ignore reports from the monitor as to what resolutions and so forth it supports. This feature makes some people whose monitors and projectors don't work correctly go all giddy.
post #552 of 6043 Old 11-11-2008, 06:48 AM

Quote:

Of course you won't catch Yamaha in the US providing a hint…

I'll wait for someone else brave to try it. The ability to do it over the net is not mentioned anywhere in the US manual that I recall.

FWIW, I did the firmware upgrade over the Internet last night. I had version 1.02 and now have 1.04. I have not noticed any differences. The document that comes with the new firmware claims that it will "ensure best possible performance," "improve stability," and "enhance your enjoyment of the RX-V3900." Yeah, sure. Tell me what it actually DOES next time so I can decide whether to bother. On the website, it says that this update includes "improvements on the GUI and front panel display." Nope, haven't seen any. What are we referring to, Yamaha? Can we be more vague?

It took a good 10-15 minutes or so and I have a FiOS connection which is very fast. When it is done, it reboots the unit and comes back in the mode that you last left it.
post #553 of 6043 Old 11-11-2008, 07:00 AM

Quote:

As in advanced settings HDMI MONITOR CHECK? I haven't tried it, but from the decription in the manual it sounds like all this does is enable the receiver to ignore reports from the monitor as to what resolutions and so forth it supports. This feature makes some people whose monitors and projectors don't work correctly go all giddy.

Well, it might be that I remember incorrectly (or I'm thinking about my old Onkyo), but there may be setting, that can disable receiver's own menus from using HDMI and display them only from analog outputs.

As I have connected my current receiver to my display by using both component and HDMI, I was thinking that if I want full menu control for receiver I'd be using component and when watching HD sources and/or wanting to listen Net Radio with video in background I'd be using HDMI (assuming there is this setting and it would work.. - but probably not... )
post #554 of 6043 Old 11-11-2008, 10:00 AM

once again, thanks for all the valuable info.. much appreciated, also thanks for the info on the game lag, that will help with my decision.

one final question: RX-V1900 - hdmi passthrough on standby, yes or no?

cheers
post #555 of 6043 Old 11-11-2008, 12:31 PM

No hint of it in the manual.
post #556 of 6043 Old 11-11-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:

Had it on different browser:
firmware link:

http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/prod...own/index.html

Thanks for the link! I like that site better in general.

I am going to toss it on a thumb and see what happens.

The ozone layer or cheese in a spray can? Don't make me choose
post #557 of 6043 Old 11-11-2008, 12:38 PM

Interesting doc appears in Russian forum

Owners RX-Vx900 + YDS-11 !

Please post photos of mentioned "Menu Browse Mode" to understand only one difference with previous series

iPOD_compatibility_.zip 39.3095703125k . file
post #558 of 6043 Old 11-11-2008, 01:15 PM

I just got my RX-V3900 up and running. I have ran into one problem.

When I try to run my Xbox either the video flashes on and off or it is looks like it has been processed thru a colorfull negative film art program.

I've tried changing cable(s), inputs/outputs as well as many of the HDMI processing features of the amp with no luck.

Anyone got any ideas.

Thanks
Curtis
post #559 of 6043 Old 11-11-2008, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Did you hook up the 360 with component or HDMI?

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #560 of 6043 Old 11-11-2008, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ira_l View Post

FWIW, I did the firmware upgrade over the Internet last night. I had version 1.02 and now have 1.04. I have not noticed any differences. The document that comes with the new firmware claims that it will "ensure best possible performance," "improve stability," and "enhance your enjoyment of the RX-V3900." Yeah, sure. Tell me what it actually DOES next time so I can decide whether to bother. On the website, it says that this update includes "improvements on the GUI and front panel display." Nope, haven't seen any. What are we referring to, Yamaha? Can we be more vague?

It took a good 10-15 minutes or so and I have a FiOS connection which is very fast. When it is done, it reboots the unit and comes back in the mode that you last left it.

So just to confirm for us international users, you downloaded that Japanese FW on your US machine?

MY HT BUILD BLOG

http://www.soundadvice.net.au/MarkH

MY THEATRE ROOM, LIVING ROOM and BEDROOM SYSTEMS THREAD

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1105927
post #561 of 6043 Old 11-11-2008, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I wanted to provide some feedback on Rhapsody. I managed to get Rhapsody to accept my free Comcast account. Not sure why it did not work last time I tried it.

I have it connected into a switch which in turn is connected into an Apple Airport Express.

I am getting drop outs. This could be a result of my own network.

I also got a few lockups. I ended up powering the receiver down at the front panel. That did fix it. The receiver was not completely locked up, but I could not hit menu, nor get it out of Rhapsody. It's possible both problems were caused by the receiver trying to talk to the Rhapsody server. I would call it a design flaw that I could not get it out of Rhapsody mode by hitting menu, and hitting the 'back' button.

post #562 of 6043 Old 11-11-2008, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkH View Post

So just to confirm for us international users, you downloaded that Japanese FW on your US machine?

FWs made for whole world !!!
No difference for Japan, UK, US.
Therefore you are able to activate some exlusive Japan modes in EU or US version.
post #563 of 6043 Old 11-11-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikl1984 View Post

Therefore you are able to activate some exlusive Japan modes in EU or US version.

So the same service menu adventures are possible as were with 3800? (enabling SRS CSII for eu-devices etc.)?
post #564 of 6043 Old 11-11-2008, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I also ran the network setup, and it seems to be back and in working condition. Took under 15 mins. It even seems to keep every setting, which is impressive.

No clue what they changed.

post #565 of 6043 Old 11-11-2008, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikl1984 View Post

Yeah, it didn't break anything. Out of curiousity I am thinking of lugging the Westy back down to see if it will 'magically' work with the PS3 -> 3900 -> Westy...which it wasn't before. (So, had to buy a new LCD - Samsung, things working great). But, the wife just got home...so that means the Westy is tied up until later.

post #566 of 6043 Old 11-11-2008, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by ira_l View Post

On the website, it says that this update includes "improvements on the GUI and front panel display." Nope, haven't seen any. What are we referring to, Yamaha? Can we be more vague?

Quote:

No clue what they changed.

They are vague aren't they. Maybe it changes what short messages work through component out with overlay? volume? input? 1080i? 480i/p? Might you test that for me dudes?

radio station info on screen display? I think Yamaha has had that in the past at least.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #567 of 6043 Old 11-11-2008, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member

Ok folks, this isn't a specific question really but more of a hope that people here can alleviate my fears. Fears is a strong word but hear me out. To make a long story short, 3 years in the making I have been waiting to get my own little personal "dream HT" setup. It was suppose to be awhile ago but things came up, life happens, and I am also a notorius fence sitter and super responsible with money and won't pull the trigger until I am very comfy with plunking down my hard earned cash. Well this is finally my time and it is all starting to come together.

I have my component housing unit specially designed and built and it was delivered on Friday. I have my speaker wire, banana plugs, HDMI cables all ready to go. I have my Panamax 5400PM power conditioner/surge supressor already sitting in my house. I currently have my Oppo DV-983H currently on its way via FedEx. I pulled the trigger on this Yamaha RX-V3900 and is will be getting shipped out shortly. Sometime at the end of the month I will be buying my new 60" Elite Kuro the PRO151. I'm very excited but also a little ovrewhelmed.

Once long ago I knew all the ins and out and audio/video but man times have changed. I read for hours a day but frankly I can't hold a candle to the knowledge of most people in this forum. The tv side I can hold my own, the audio side is kicking my butt and I just feel so lost and overwhelmed. I have downloaded and been reading the 3900 manual but holy cow, so many damn options I feel as if I am drowing.

Basically when all is said and done I will have my STB, PS3, and my OPPO all with HDMI in to my receiver and one HDMI out to my tv. From the reading of the manual it seems as it I should just set it to pass the out through 1 of the HDMI outs. For my own setup I see no reason to have it passing through both at the same time. I also see no advantage of one or the other. Originally I thought maybe inputs 1 and 2 were for 1 output and inputs 3 and 4 were for output 2 but after reading it seems all 4 inputs can be output through 1 or the other. Since my activities will only be done at once, watching tv, playing a game, or listening to music through the Oppo, I see no reason for passing both outs (correct me if I am wrong) The ONLY way I could see would be to be playing a game, and then using the oppo to play music, at which point passing through both should work but I like the game sounds.

This brings me to my final part of my post. I will be running a 5.1 setup for now until I eventually get the quality 7.1 setup I want. The overwhelming part to me is the bazillion different modes and what not and all the different "notes" about if this mode is set to this, this wont work, blah blah. It's really making me feel lost. The more I read I feel like I am in quick sand. Basically I just want everything I do to come out of all 5 speakers and my subwoofer. Whether it is tv, music, games, or movies. If I basically have everything set to auto will I generally get 5.1 sound? Or am I really going to have to learn all of these PLXX modes and different stuff and what not?

Sorry for sounding like a rookie but I just want some reassurance that I will be able to enjoy this receiver and not sit here everyday studying and pulling my hair out. I don't do a lot of complicated setups and essentially I just want to enjoy 5.1 sound out of all of my activities. So far from my limited knowledge the only direction I seem to have is to make sure all my speakers are set to small, I think I understand how to set my subwoofer, and other than that I will probably be asking some dumb questions here in another month. I understand most tv stuff is 2 channel stereo, but I just want to matrix it to 5.1 sound.

So for the experts here, or at least the people who know a hell of a lot more than me. Will I be able to basically listen to 5.1 sound out of all of my activites without too much trouble? Make my worries go away people, or at least let me know what kind of uphill climb I have ahead of me. I'm willing to learn if people are willing to teach me when it comes time to play with my new receiver.
post #568 of 6043 Old 11-11-2008, 06:14 PM

It depends on audio source, but all games, movies and such will go 5.1. The only time I don't get 5.1 is on some SD channels, but since I don't watch a lot of SD channels anymore, it's not a big deal. I am sure you could matrix it, but I don't bother.

It is wise to go into receiver settings and set-up speakers/sub properly, but that is something I am sure you are aware of and it's not a huge ordeal.

*I have all four HDMI slots filled, and use only one HDMI out.

post #569 of 6043 Old 11-11-2008, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Well so far that is good news. Yeah most of my tv watching will be HD. I don't have a lot of HD channels however I'm lucky in the fact that the majority of my watching falls under channels that are in my HD list. i'm a sports junkie so the normal ABC, CBS, Fox, ESPN types all come in HD where I live along with my HBO. I will still have some SD watching but it will be mostly HD, and then movies and games.

Do you tend to settle on one mode for most sounds? Like what I mean is I noticed there is a PLXX game, PLXX movie, blah blah, do you tend to match the source you are actually on or is there a "general" setting that just lets you enjoy 5.1 across the board?
post #570 of 6043 Old 11-11-2008, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

DPL IIx movie is more or less the best general mode for 7.1 "expansion"

You should form your own opinion, though

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version