"Official" RX-V1900/RX-V3900 Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 6043 Old 08-26-2008, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 101
That's an interesting use of two HDMI outputs; for separate calibrations. Do you use something like a Harmony remote to send the proper codes?

"But this one goes up to 11"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 6043 Old 08-26-2008, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Basically what I will be doing is having ps3 into the receiver and then out of the receiver to input 1 on the tv. A different source would be from the receiver to input 2. Since the tv can have different picture settings for different inputs this allows me to have basically a "blu-ray setting" and then whatever else I choose on the other source. This will allow me to have optimal settings. Yeah I will use a harmony one remote for source switching but this allows me to have actual stored picture settings on the tv.

I view this as a great thing since under the previous way you would have say, blu-ray, cable, dvd player all running into the receiver. Then it would go from the receiver to one of the inputs on the tv. The problem is when you watch blu-ray or standard dvd since it would all be coming from the same input on the tv the settings might not be as optimal. The work around to this was to run hdmi from components to the tv directy and then run separate optical audio from components to the AVR. However as technology has advanced in order to take advantage of the lossless audio of the ps3 you have to use audio through HDMI. As more stuff runs into this issue of having to use HDMI audio to take full advantage of everything then I would be back to the original problem of having to mess with picture settings on my tv every time I was viewing a different source.

This allows me the simple freedom of not having to run optical audio separate and being able to maintain separate video settings on different inputs for optimal viewing. This may not be a big deal to some but it is a feature that definitely makes things a bit easier and one I am excited about. So while the harmony doesn't have the settings themselves on the remote when I choose to watch a blue-ray it would set my tv on input 1 where I have it calibrated specifically for watching blu-ray. When I choose whatever else say "watch dvd" it would set the tv to input 2 where I have those settings speciically tailored to dvd. I could also just have the other option be "watch tv" in which case it would be my settings for watching standard definition tv as compared to HD where I would have different settings. It just gives me so much more freedom. In my opinion the more HDMI the better. Ultimately you could have different settings for every single source with enough outputs from the AVR.
post #33 of 6043 Old 08-26-2008, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uni_panther View Post

Basically what I will be doing is having ps3 into the receiver and then out of the receiver to input 1 on the tv. A different source would be from the receiver to input 2. Since the tv can have different picture settings for different inputs this allows me to have basically a "blu-ray setting" and then whatever else I choose on the other source. This will allow me to have optimal settings. Yeah I will use a harmony one remote for source switching but this allows me to have actual stored picture settings on the tv.

Good one uni_panther! That's brilliant! I was thinking about this issue when I read about the new Onkyo's ability to have settings for each HDMI input. I think the Z7 also. That's smart to use the 2 HDMI outs like this. My only issue now is that for my PS3 is that blu-ray and games need different settings.
- Will
post #34 of 6043 Old 08-27-2008, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvbeethoven View Post

Good one uni_panther! That's brilliant! I was thinking about this issue when I read about the new Onkyo's ability to have settings for each HDMI input. I think the Z7 also. That's smart to use the 2 HDMI outs like this. My only issue now is that for my PS3 is that blu-ray and games need different settings.
- Will

Are the two HDMI out matrix based? Meaning can I play two different sources at the same time and have them output (HDMI 1 PS3, HDMI2 HD DVD) at the same time? I doubt this is the case, but wanted to ask.
post #35 of 6043 Old 08-27-2008, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepmback View Post

Are the two HDMI out matrix based? Meaning can I play two different sources at the same time and have them output (HDMI 1 PS3, HDMI2 HD DVD) at the same time? I doubt this is the case, but wanted to ask.

Based on the specs and manual Zone 2 will still be composite out/480i similar to older models. So it appears only HDMI 1 or HDMI 2 can be on at once and not at the same time showing different sources. But correct me if I'm wrong.

As if it did zone 2 via HDMI I would certainly jump on it! Since I'm looking for a receiver that does higher the 480i or native source out on Zone 2 and I'm having little luck finding one.
post #36 of 6043 Old 08-27-2008, 08:58 AM

Quote:

On page 37 of the 3900 manual it says you can have OUT 1 + 2 "Outputs the signals at both the HDMI OUT 1 and HDMI OUT 2 jacks simultaneously." Or obviously, just OUT 1, OUT 2, or OFF. No mention of different sources. My guess is same input source to 2 different outputs.

On page 95, it is also possible to have both HDMI jacks do signal pass throughs while in standby mode. However, looks like you can select only one HDMI out for the control signals.
post #37 of 6043 Old 08-27-2008, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Notice in the 3900 manual that you can (optionally) have an HDMI input passed through to the HDMI output when the unit is in standby. This is requested a lot (usually as "how can I watch TV without turning on the receiver"?)

The biggest thing missing from the 3900 for me is a separate crossover frequency for each speaker (not vital, but worth having if your main and/or centre speakers can play significantly lower than your surrounds). The Z7 might have this, but the manual isn't up yet.

The 3900 looks good though, while the 1900 is a barely warmed-over 1800.
post #38 of 6043 Old 08-27-2008, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

Notice in the 3900 manual that you can (optionally) have an HDMI input passed through to the HDMI output when the unit is in standby. This is requested a lot (usually as "how can I watch TV without turning on the receiver"?)

The biggest thing missing from the 3900 for me is a separate crossover frequency for each speaker (not vital, but worth having if your main and/or centre speakers can play significantly lower than your surrounds). The Z7 might have this, but the manual isn't up yet.

The 3900 looks good though, while the 1900 is a barely warmed-over 1800.

Not sure if this is what you're looking for. But in the gui setup of my 2700, I can lower/raise the volume of my center vs my surrounds or any speaker.
post #39 of 6043 Old 08-27-2008, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGKoul View Post

Not sure if this is what you're looking for. But in the gui setup of my 2700, I can lower/raise the volume of my center vs my surrounds or any speaker.

No, I was talking about the crossover frequency below which bass is handed off to the subwoofer. e.g. if you have mains that are flat to 40Hz and surrounds that are flat to 80Hz, you have to apply the same 80Hz (or 100Hz, whatever you choose) crossover to your mains as well.

In this price range most other manufacturers support individual crossovers, but Yamaha have always kept that for their top-of-the-line (the Z11 has it). I'm guessing that the new Z7 will probably have it too. The 3900 could have competed better with the Denon 3808CI if it wasn't limited to a single crossover.

Edit: It turns out the 3900 does have individual crossovers, the manual just doesn't make it clear.
post #40 of 6043 Old 08-27-2008, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

One question no one has addressed, and I have no clue on is 'Why the Z7?'

One more HDMI input
One more zone (digital audio on at least one zone?)
Zone mono? (Allows for two zones while only using the rear surround amps?)
More control over Video Processing?

Seems a bit sparse for the extra $900 MSRP. If you had the money, and loved the feature set and needed better zone features, maybe it would make sense.

post #41 of 6043 Old 08-27-2008, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

One question no one has addressed, and I have no clue on is 'Why the Z7?'
Seems a bit sparse for the extra $900 MSRP. If you had the money, and loved the feature set and needed better zone features, maybe it would make sense.

Yes, the Z11 has a place with its 11.2 speaker support. I would have liked to see the Z7 support both rear surrounds and front prescence speakers simultaneously, but it doesn't look like it does. Maybe the manual will show that it has a few extra features.
post #42 of 6043 Old 08-27-2008, 12:09 PM

Well, I just got my dealer to agree to take my less than 30-day old RX-V3800 in swap for an RX-V3900. They are "expecting" them this week but seemed skeptical it would happen. I originally pondered getting the Denon 3808 for the web GUI and HD Radio but just could not rationalize the extra $1,200. The RX-V3900 looks like it pretty much covers the same bases as the Denon for $200 more than the 3800 and adds other cool stuff besides! Other than the great uncabling and recabling and remote programming and... I'm totally psyched!

So, anybody have any idea whether the http GUI will support the Reveiver Manager settings save/restore functionality? Barring that, any ideas on when/where a Receiver Manager for the RX-V3900 will be available?
post #43 of 6043 Old 08-27-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uni_panther View Post

The biggest thing I like about the 3900 is the 2 HDMI outs. This is important to me. This gives me the ability to have my PS3 coming out of 1 port specifically calibrated to that particular tv input for Blu-Ray. Then I can also have the other output going to an input calibrated for an entirely different purpose. This is a major plus feature to me.

Edit: Looks like he answered it up above.

Does your panel require you to manually switch input or does it detect the HDMI signal and switch automatically? I don't know how important this feature is for me, but I have PS3 (my first HD equipment)... soon to be followed by the Kuro 60" and the 3900 receiver. (That's the plan anyway.)
post #44 of 6043 Old 08-28-2008, 12:51 AM

I'm interested in upgrading my 2600 to the 3900. Planning on moving the 2600 into the living room and utilize it's 3 zones to play music. I'm just curious if the 3900 will improve the picture quality of a ps3 since it's known to to be good at upscaling dvd player and a good blueray player?
post #45 of 6043 Old 08-28-2008, 03:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaltiger View Post

I'm interested in upgrading my 2600 to the 3900. Planning on moving the 2600 into the living room and utilize it's 3 zones to play music. I'm just curious if the 3900 will improve the picture quality of a ps3 since it's known to to be good at upscaling dvd player and a good blueray player?

We don't know. PReP can "re" interlace the 480p output from a PS3 and the deinterlace it using ABT's (presumably) better deinterlacer. And the scale it using the ABT's (presumably) better scaler. Which could (presumably) give you very high quality from DVD.

You may want to wait until someone owns one, to test it. The ABT chip should also have noise reduction which could help poor looking DVDs and also possibly help cable.

post #46 of 6043 Old 08-29-2008, 10:45 AM

What exactly would compel you to upgrade to either any of these x900 series receivers over an RX-V663 and over a grand of extra cash? I still fail to see what these new receivers actually offer.

DLNA / networking
post #47 of 6043 Old 08-29-2008, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcinnj View Post

What exactly would compel you to upgrade to either any of these x900 series receivers over an RX-V663 and over a grand of extra cash? I still fail to see what these new receivers actually offer.

DLNA / networking

This exact question has already been addressed in this thread. If you read the thread, your mind should already be made up. If not, well, I don't know what else can be said on this topic, to be honest. If you did not read the whole thread, please do.

post #48 of 6043 Old 08-29-2008, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

DLNA / networking

$1000 buys a pretty nice HTPC these days! When paired with the right receiver you can do a heck of a lot with that combination!
post #49 of 6043 Old 08-29-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

Notice in the 3900 manual that you can (optionally) have an HDMI input passed through to the HDMI output when the unit is in standby.

I hadn't noticed that earlier. Thanks for noting it! That just cements the deal for me on swapping my RX-V3800 for a 3900. I miss being able to JUST turn on the tv/sat box and watch it since upgrading from my old stereo separates to the 3800. This will enable that.

But I checked in with the dealer today and the guy I talked to (the guy I did the deal with was not in) said they now weren't expecting them in their distribution center until something like the 23rd of October. The date they were carrying earlier in the week was today. I can wait that long, but I'm not sure they'll want to leave me with the 3800 that long.

What's anybody else hearing for an ETA on the RX-V3900?
post #50 of 6043 Old 08-29-2008, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick W View Post

What's anybody else hearing for an ETA on the RX-V3900?

Don't know exact date, but this is Yamaha's own website for the 3900:
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/customer/P...cii_nRGID=1861

Says late September delivery for buying direct from Yamaha. Audioholics showing October.
post #51 of 6043 Old 08-30-2008, 05:13 AM

Does the new 3900 support a on-screen volume indicator over HDMI? I keep my gear in an equipment closet and miss the visual feedback from the pre-HDMI days. I'm hoping Yamaha finally figured out how to reprocess the stream to display the volume as I change it.

AH
post #52 of 6043 Old 08-30-2008, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

HDMI standards do not allow the ability to run multiple HDMI sources out of a receiver at the same time. It merely gives you the ability to hook up two displays.

MY HT BUILD BLOG

http://www.soundadvice.net.au/MarkH

MY THEATRE ROOM, LIVING ROOM and BEDROOM SYSTEMS THREAD

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1105927
post #53 of 6043 Old 08-30-2008, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholmes5 View Post

Does the new 3900 support a on-screen volume indicator over HDMI? I keep my gear in an equipment closet and miss the visual feedback from the pre-HDMI days. I'm hoping Yamaha finally figured out how to reprocess the stream to display the volume as I change it.

According to page 98 of the 3900 manual, so-called "short messages" (e.g. a volume indicator) will be supported for HDMI input (actually it just doesn't say they are not supported, so I assume they are). However, it says they are still not supported for 720p/1080i/1080p component input (whether this is converted to HDMI or not for output).

So that's better than before, but still a bit of a limitation if you're using a component connection with any HD source.
post #54 of 6043 Old 08-30-2008, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have a JVC digital amp that only PCM's at 5:1. Could someone advise if the 3900 will PCM at 7:1 or 6:1? I'm looking to buy the 3900 especially if it has this capability.

Thanks in advance for your help!
post #55 of 6043 Old 08-30-2008, 03:27 PM

Not sure if anyone has noticed this, but it looks like Yamaha has listed the RX-V3900BL on Amazon (2-5 week lead time) and there is a picture of the new remote controls there. The secondary remote looks like a design photo if you zoom in on it. I know the RX-V3800 took some knocks on the remote, so hopefully this is a better design. Glad I was able to cancel my RX-V3800, which I paid for the day the 3900 was announced!
post #56 of 6043 Old 08-31-2008, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

DLNA / networking

Is DNLA similar to HDMI CEC ?
post #57 of 6043 Old 08-31-2008, 04:32 PM

Nope. It's a media networking interoperability and standards initiative. http://www.dlna.org/home
post #58 of 6043 Old 09-01-2008, 02:26 PM

Stupid question: Does Yamaha support per input video settings or are same settings applied to all HDMI inputs?
Just wondering how things work out if i connect PS3 and a set-top box via HDMI,
PS3 should do well with pass through settings but set-top box would benefit from PReP processing.
Changing video settings every time i switch HDMI input doesn't sound very handy.
(i have no idea how new receivers do video processing as i still use ancient RX-V620 model)
post #59 of 6043 Old 09-01-2008, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholmes5 View Post

AH

Is that a Yamaha thing or an HDMI thing? As I have a 2700 and I HATE the fact over HDMI I can't see that information.
post #60 of 6043 Old 09-02-2008, 01:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGKoul View Post

Is that a Yamaha thing or an HDMI thing? As I have a 2700 and I HATE the fact over HDMI I can't see that information.

It's a chip thing. Most receivers are using a set of chips which can't overlay graphics onto HDMI.

The 3900's specs imply it can overlay graphics onto HDMI. But you will want to ensure this is confirmed before buying.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page