"Official" RX-V1900/RX-V3900 Thread - Page 204 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #6091 of 6107 Old 12-16-2015, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamGuy View Post
I'm having a really hard time getting my audio setup working flawlessly... I've got the Yamaha RX-V3900 as AV-receiver and amplifier for my 5.1 setup consisting of; 2x Klipsch RF-62 as L/R (Front), 1x Klipsch RC-64 (Center), 2x Klipsch RS-42 (Surround - Side (not back)) and I also have a SVS PC12-NSD DSP cylinder active subwoofer. All Klipsch speakers are from the Reference-1, not the Reference-2 series besides the RS-42's which are Reference-2.

I do run the Y.A.P.O using the included microphone, I've tried to do it from the center location of the room, and also tried to do it placing the microphone in all the sitting location in our living room. No matter what I do I can't help but feel that the audio signature feels really, really flat and lacklustre. It's not like the audio is having issues of any sorts but it just feels really flat and boring without much dynamic, no "oopmh" or anything.

Comparing my setup to other audio solutions I use daily like my Westone 4R and Westone UM3X IEM's connected to my iPhone, or my Sennheiser HD 650 headphones connected to my Asus Xonar Essence One external-DAC on my desktop computer and even my Beats Studio (v2) Wireless headphones I use when travelling my living room lacks character.

My Westone UM3X feels unique because of it's fantastic mid's and high's, with a really pronounced treble which gives it a clarity with vocals and instruments giving you the feeling of having a rally high resolution audio providing you with details you did not notice before.

My Westone 4R feels more balanced, but they have a great dynamic feel to them as they are able to go both low and high and feature great detail in all areas. They don't feature the same high resolution feel to vocals and instruments like the UM3X, but they seem more natural and balanced.

You get the idea.. They all have their own sound signature, and they all (besides the Beats Studio Wireless) have great dynamic sound and whatnot. They don't sound boring at all. But my Klipsch setup and my Yamaha RX-V3900 on the other hand, though they don't sound bad in anyway they just feel boring without much dynamic to them. I'm not able to make them sound anything special at all...

Trying to boost the bass, treble or whatnot just seems to distort the audio in various ways. Boosting the bass just make everything muddy. You get somewhat more "spunk" to the low's, but they don't sound right to me and it also makes dialogues feel muddy and wrong. Boosting the treble kills what already feels like a somewhat lacklustre bass to begin with.

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to configuring and calibrating speakers and AV-receivers / amplifiers so I have no real clue where to go from here. I do love good sounding audio but I have no clue how to achieve it on my current setup.

There are literally tons of options I can modify on this RX-V3900 so I have no clue where to begin and just blindly changing things sounds like a impossible place to start... Where should I begin? What kind of settings would normally fit my speakers the best?
Have you tried the Sound setting of the Parametric EQ?
Menu>Setup>Sound>Parametric EQ>PEQ Select;
You get to choose from: Manual, Flat, Front, Natural, Through.

I like Natural.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6092 of 6107 Old 12-16-2015, 01:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
...Comparing my setup to other audio solutions I use daily like my Westone 4R and Westone UM3X IEM's connected to my iPhone, or my Sennheiser HD 650 headphones connected to my Asus Xonar Essence One external-DAC on my desktop computer and even my Beats Studio (v2) Wireless headphones I use when travelling my living room lacks character.
You need to compare speaker setups with speakers and not with headphone setups.

Did your speakers sound better to you before YPAO? Why?

It's only a hobby
post #6093 of 6107 Old 12-17-2015, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I figured out why things didn't work out for me.. Settings for subwoofer was set to sub + front. So when adding +gain on bass it also affected the overall sound from the front speakers making everything muddy. Changing it to subwoofer only I was finally able to adjust the bass gain without affecting the rest of the sound quality.

The only problem I have right now is that I don't feel the bass responds very well to volume adjustments. My girlfriend do not enjoy high volume levels while watching TV-series, movies etc.. But we still want to feel respond from the subwoofer which forces me to add +6 gain to the bass in order to achieve this. But then we have the problem that as soon as one of us cranks the volume up and nudge or two the bass response gets out of wack and is way to powerful.
post #6094 of 6107 Old 12-17-2015, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I figured out why things didn't work out for me.. Settings for subwoofer was set to sub + front. So when adding +gain on bass it also affected the overall sound from the front speakers making everything muddy. Changing it to subwoofer only I was finally able to adjust the bass gain without affecting the rest of the sound quality.

The only problem I have right now is that I don't feel the bass responds very well to volume adjustments. My girlfriend do not enjoy high volume levels while watching TV-series, movies etc.. But we still want to feel respond from the subwoofer which forces me to add +6 gain to the bass in order to achieve this. But then we have the problem that as soon as one of us cranks the volume up a nudge or two the bass response gets out of wack and is way to powerful.
post #6095 of 6107 Old 12-17-2015, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

The only problem I have right now is that I don't feel the bass responds very well to volume adjustments. My girlfriend do not enjoy high volume levels while watching TV-series, movies etc.. But we still want to feel respond from the subwoofer which forces me to add +6 gain to the bass in order to achieve this. But then we have the problem that as soon as one of us cranks the volume up a nudge or two the bass response gets out of wack and is way to powerful.
Set all the speakers to small, set your sub-woofer to 50% output, re calibrate YAPO with microphone and then after that, adjust your sub-woofer to your liking.

Cheers
post #6096 of 6107 Old 03-21-2016, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi All, I just purchase a used RX-V3900 and I have a couple of questions.

1. I tried to find a definitive answer regarding the HDMI issues with this receiver, but I could not get find an answer. Have any of the many FW updates solved these issues?

2. In the future if I want to have 4K video I understand that I can run whatever devices HDMI into the TV, and run an optical out of the TV into the receiver to make it work, but I lose the HD audio formats. Is it possible to use a lesser 4K capable receiver as a Preamp and the 3900 to drive the speakers? If yes, what about F presence speakers, will a newer Yamaha receiver with zone 2 pre out and configured as zone 2 for F presence do the job?
post #6097 of 6107 Old 03-21-2016, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktdommer View Post

1. I tried to find a definitive answer regarding the HDMI issues with this receiver, but I could not get find an answer. Have any of the many FW updates solved these issues?

2. In the future if I want to have 4K video I understand that I can run whatever devices HDMI into the TV, and run an optical out of the TV into the receiver to make it work, but I lose the HD audio formats. Is it possible to use a lesser 4K capable receiver as a Preamp and the 3900 to drive the speakers? If yes, what about F presence speakers, will a newer Yamaha receiver with zone 2 pre out and configured as zone 2 for F presence do the job?
1. I haven't had any HDMI issues with my 3900.

2. HDMI to TV and coax/optical (whichever the source has) from source to 3900. Won't lose any audio formats.
post #6098 of 6107 Old 03-21-2016, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1162 Post(s)
Liked: 1233
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvluvr View Post
1. I haven't had any HDMI issues with my 3900.

2. HDMI to TV and coax/optical (whichever the source has) from source to 3900. Won't lose any audio formats.
Not exactly true, you still need HDMI from a bluray player to the RX-V3900
for lossless DTS-HD Master Audio or Dolby TrueHD (up to 7.1 channels) on Bluray discs

Coax/optical can only pass 5.1 Dolby Digital or DTS core (lossy compression) audio,
which is fine for DVD or cable TV and most digital downloads/streaming.

Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge
JVC-DLA X750R | 120" Screen | LG 65" OLED 65B6P| Panasonic DMP-UB900 | HDFury Integral
Yamaha RX-A3050 + RX-V3900 | Atmos 7.4.4 | Mission M3i Speakers | Funk Audio 18.0 sub's
post #6099 of 6107 Old 03-21-2016, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
Not exactly true, you still need HDMI from a bluray player to the RX-V3900
for lossless DTS-HD Master Audio or Dolby TrueHD (up to 7.1 channels) on Bluray discs

Coax/optical can only pass 5.1 Dolby Digital or DTS core (lossy compression) audio,
which is fine for DVD or cable TV and most digital downloads/streaming.
I stand corrected

I have DirecTV, do a little streaming and have a blu-ray player (that also streams) but only play DVDs so I wasn't thinking in those terms.
post #6100 of 6107 Old 03-21-2016, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1162 Post(s)
Liked: 1233
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktdommer View Post

I ran my RX-V3900 for 8 flawless years, never once installed any fw updates from day 1.
Components used: PS3, PS4, HD Motorola Cable, XBOX 360 Elite, Xbox One, Toshiba HD-DVD and a Sony BDP S5100 Bluray player. (no not all at once until I upgraded recently)
...All used HDMI connections including the two display outputs,
a Kuro 50" Plasma and Epson 1080UB projector.

If I were you I'd keep your RX-V3900 as an external amp
and pick up the new RX-A3050 4k Capable HDMI 2.0a/2.2 HDCP Atmos/DTS:X
..in fact, that's exactly what I did just last month

The ol' 3900 powers my 4 Presence/Height channels for Atmos/DTS:X
Ralarcon likes this.

Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge
JVC-DLA X750R | 120" Screen | LG 65" OLED 65B6P| Panasonic DMP-UB900 | HDFury Integral
Yamaha RX-A3050 + RX-V3900 | Atmos 7.4.4 | Mission M3i Speakers | Funk Audio 18.0 sub's

Last edited by PioManiac; 03-21-2016 at 07:20 PM.
post #6101 of 6107 Old 03-27-2016, 02:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
My receiver do not recognice multichannel audio any more!

Im trying to get DTS or dolby digital sound when watching movies but the Yamaha rx-v1900 does not detect multichannel audio from my Sony playstation 4!
When going to meny and choose audio signal info, it says: format pcm, sampling 48kHz, channel 2/0/
Any suggestions how to fix this?
I have made the factory reset.
post #6102 of 6107 Old 04-22-2016, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikkoman1 View Post
Im trying to get DTS or dolby digital sound when watching movies but the Yamaha rx-v1900 does not detect multichannel audio from my Sony playstation 4!
When going to meny and choose audio signal info, it says: format pcm, sampling 48kHz, channel 2/0/
Any suggestions how to fix this?
I have made the factory reset.
You need the PS4 connected via HDMI to the rx-v1900, not the HDTV
You need the PS4 Settings>Sound & Screen>Audio Output Settings>Primary Output Port set to HDMI Out
(Select the 5.1 option offered if NOT a 7.1 setup)
You need the PS4 Settings>Sound & Screen>Audio Output Settings>Audio Format(Primary) to Bitstream either (Dolby) or (DTS) to see the AVR show either DTS or Dolby 5.1
Use Linear PCM to get the full benefit of uncompressed/lossless HD audio formats DTS-HD or Dolby True HD in 7.1 from Blu-Ray source (decoded in PS4)
I use Linear PCM and AVR status shows 48kHz 3/4/0.1 PCM always.
post #6103 of 6107 Old 05-16-2016, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

The manual says the 3900 draws 500 watts. Has anyone actually measured the power draw?
post #6104 of 6107 Old 09-16-2016, 09:41 PM

My V3900 remote's "HDMI OUT" button has stopped working. I cannot find this control in the menu system. Help?

It's only a hobby
post #6105 of 6107 Old 11-10-2016, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnargs View Post
My V3900 remote's "HDMI OUT" button has stopped working. I cannot find this control in the menu system. Help?
I'm still hoping for some assistance with my enquiry, above. Is there any other way to adjust the HDMI OUT other than the dedicated button on the remote? That button has stopped working on my remote.

It's only a hobby
post #6106 of 6107 Old 11-10-2016, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Is this what you are looking for?

See page 83
http://download.yamaha.com/api/asset...asset_id=54872

It's part of the "Setup (HDMI)" menu
post #6107 of 6107 Old Today, 01:29 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've just installed my new B6V oled tv and I'm wondering if you guys know a way of using the LG magic remote to control the RX-V1900? Specifically the volume level and audio source, those tend to be what I change while watching.

I'm considering an amp upgrade but first I want to see what I can make of what I have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors