"Official" RX-V1900/RX-V3900 Thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-27-2008, 11:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
cyberjwalk

Thanks for the info, I just bought a RX-Z7 from OneCall. Great deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uni_panther View Post

Ok people, I am back for some more help. I have a Pioneer Elite Kuro 151, and an Oppo 983 upconvert player hooked up. One problem I noticed last night is when I set my Oppo to 1080p, I just have a black screen, the receiver won't seem to "latch on" to the signal. It works fine in 480p, 720p, and 1080i but wont work in 1080p. I ran the Oppo directly to the tv and it works flawlessly so something in the receiver is causing this hiccup. I tried going through both of the different outlets, and 2 different inputs on my tv. Same results. All my HDMI stuff is set to passthrough but why will it not let the 1080p signal from my Oppo through?

Unfortunately I don't have a blu-ray disc yet to test if 1080p would work from my PS3 so I don't know if this is "across the board" but I am fresh out of ideas and the culprit is the receiver in this chain. I find it odd all other modes work except 1080p. Any ideas?

Boy...sounds familiar, similar to my PS3 -> Receiver - > Westy LCD problem I had. If you go back, or just search for Mikl post...there is a piece of software he wanted me to run, you just need to PC or laptop with either HDMI or DVI.

The ozone layer or cheese in a spray can? Don't make me choose
Old 11-27-2008, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberjwalk View Post

Thanks for the info on the digital inputs/outputs. I bought my first Onkyo receiver back in 1977 and have only owned Onkyo Integra and Denon receivers ever sinse and am not too familiar with the Yamaha brand of receivers (although I've seen many positive reviews through the years). I just purchased a RX-Z7 today from Onecall.com They have some for sale at $1,999 which is almost the price you will pay for a RX-V3900 from an authorized dealer. The five year warranty that the Z7 has is worth the price alone over the V3900, not to mention the extra features the Z7 has. Don't forget that Yamaha won't warranty any receiver that wasn't purchased from an authorized dealer. Avoid those Ebay sellers!

Congrats on the Z7, that's a fair price,
but you dont have to go to ebay to find better
6Ave is an AVS sponsor...

I think you'll like the Yamaha sound,
and based on your previous loyalties, you'll likely prefer setting the PEQ to Flat when you run the YPAO.
What speakers/subs are you using?

Another feature that's kept me loyal to Yamaha is the Front Presence channel.
It can really help raise the dialogue to center screen if you have a low center channel below a large screen.

I use it for movies with lots of dialogue or music video/concerts
..where there is little to offer from the surround channels.

...if I'm watching Action flicks I usually opt for Back Surround speakers instead.
You cant have both at the same time, but if you have enough speakers it's a single button press on the remote to swap back and forth.

My First Home Theater
...When a Kuro plasma still isnt enough, make your movie Experience Larger than Life with a Projector!
Old 11-27-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post

Congrats on the Z7, that's a fair price.

Personally I would never pay full MSRP on an AVR, and the 3900 happens to be listed as $1899.
Mine was closer to $1300US from a local Canadian authorized dealer.
So $600 under MSRP is not unheard of. (Z7 is $2699 msrp)

I think you'll like the Yamaha sound,
and based on your previous loyalties, you'll likely prefer setting the PEQ to Flat when you run the YPAO.
What speakers/subs are you using?

Another feature that's kept me loyal to Yamaha is the Front Presence channel.
It can really help raise the dialogue to center screen if you have a low center channel below a large screen.

I use it for movies with lots of dialogue or music video/concerts
..where there is little to offer from the surround channels.

...if I'm watching Action flicks I usually opt for Back Surround speakers instead.
You cant have both at the same time, but if you have enough speakers it's a single button press on the remote to swap back and forth.

Thanks for the info. As far as what speakers I'm using, I have the Polk Audio RT3000p's for my fronts, the CS1000 for my center, and two sets of the FX1000's for me surrounds. I had been using a Sunfire True Signature sub in my old room but in my new room the subs in the RT3000's is all that I need so I sold my Sunfire to my brother last month.

Does anybody know if the included mic and auto setup feature works accurately?
Old 11-27-2008, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyMelon View Post

Boy...sounds familiar, similar to my PS3 -> Receiver - > Westy LCD problem I had. If you go back, or just search for Mikl post...there is a piece of software he wanted me to run, you just need to PC or laptop with either HDMI or DVI.

Will the software fix it? or just identify it? I don't like the sound of this at all. I guess I could live with the Oppo not being able to do 1080p and I could just leave it at 1080i but if my PS3 won't play blu-ray because of 1080p I'm going to be a bit upset. Running it directly to the tv with separate digital audio will completely defeat the purpose of having HDMI audio. Hopefully it is just the Oppo but I have a suspicion since the receiver is the problem in the first place I may run into the same problem on blu-ray. I will know in a week when my discs get here.
Old 11-27-2008, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
any discernable difference pre-amp wise 1900 vs 3900 ?

ps to my surprise I found both service manuals on Yamahas website last night - after a google search - not sure they were meant to be available to all - but was interesting reading - said for personnel use only

thanks, Mark.
Old 11-27-2008, 02:14 PM

Hi There
Does anyone have a link to the 3900 Receiver Manager operating manual?
Cheers
Old 11-28-2008, 11:13 AM

Hey Guys, I currently have a Denon 3805 with a Paradigm Monitor 7 speaker setup & my components are a Mot. 6412 cable box, Xbox, & a Denon 3910 dvd player. I looking to get a blu-ray player & thinking of upgrading my amp to mainly due to the 3805's lack of HDMI ports, the second zone video capability's & I'm maxed out my current video inputs on my 3805. Would the V3900 be a good match for my current gear along with my new Epson 1080ub pj & (most likely) Panasonic DMP-BD35 blu-ray player. I planing on running all the components into the V3900 the the main zone being the pj then a second video/audio feed to a near by room to run a old hitachi rptv so I don't kill the pj bulb too fast. Does anyone see any issue/problems with this setup?

Thanks in Advance
Steven
Old 11-28-2008, 11:20 AM

John Me: here a link to the V3900 manuel on the Yamaha Canada site
Old 11-28-2008, 12:37 PM

Ordered my Z7 Wednesday afternoon and it has arrived already this morning. I will try to give some initial impressions later today or tomorrow. My last receiver was a Denon AVR-4308CI so I could give a good comparison to that receiver which I had lived with for about a year and a half.
LL
Old 11-28-2008, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:

Ordered my Z7 Wednesday afternoon and it has arrived already this morning. I will try to give some initial impressions later today or tomorrow. My last receiver was a Denon AVR-4308CI so I could give a good comparison to that receiver which I had lived with for about a year and a half.

Can you say why you're expecting the Z7 to be an upgrade from the 4308, they seem to be quite close on paper.
Old 11-28-2008, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

For whatever reason the Oppo and the Yamaha just won't agree on 1080p and I'm not sure which one is the culprit at this point. I bought a Blu-Ray disc this morning (Iron Man for 15 bucks) and popped it in my PS3 thinking I was going to have issues because many people have and after the Oppo not displaying 1080p I was thinking the worst. Well the Blu-Ray played flawlessly. Not a single hiccup. Worked fantastic. Later on I had a friend come over and he brought over his stand alone Blu-Ray player. We hooked it up and it ran flawlessly as well through the receiver. Hmm thats weird. Tried the Oppo, nope doesn't work.

I only have 1 single HDMI cord running from my OUT on my receiver so obviously if it works on PS3 or another stand alone player it should work on the Oppo as well. It doesn't. Just to be thorough, we changed cables anyway and did all the same tests. Everything worked fine with everything, except the Oppo. It makes absolutely zero sense since the Oppo works just fine directly to the tv but the moment you have it run through the Yamaha there is an issue. This makes it sounds like it is the Yamahas fault. However everything else works flawlessly 1080p through the Yamaha, so that makes it looks like it is the Oppos fault.

At this point it is a moot point. My main worry and concern was going to have some type of 1080p issue through my receiver which would really be a pain considering that the PS3 is my only Blu-Ray player and I really wanted to stay hooked strictly HDMI with my PS3 setup. With the Oppo it really isn't a big deal. Easy work around. Since it is only standard DVD optical audio will give me everything I need for standard DVD. I will simply disable the audio from HDMI in the setup menu and just have it output optical audio. So not a big deal but I found it interesting none the less and thought maybe people here might want to hear this. My tv is a Kuro 151, my receiver is a Yamaha RX-V3900 and then of course the Oppo 983. If anyone out there happens to have this same setup I would like to hear if it works for you, just out of curiosity.
Old 11-28-2008, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 119
One suggestion is to use the Oppos deinterlacer, but use the Yamaha or TVs scaler. In other words, send 480p to the receiver. I doubt the Oppo scales significantly better than either the Yamaha or your TV.

That way, you can stick with HDMI. Using component video just to get 1080p does not make a lot of sense to me. If you run that setup, you will force a digital to analog conversion and then a analog to digital conversion. I find it hard to believe any scaling superiority on the Oppo is worth those conversions.

"But this one goes up to 11"
Old 11-28-2008, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Question: I just connected my rx-v3900 ,to the Internet , using a Netgear XET 1001 Powerline adapter, should I be concerned about power surges and this connection ?

Thanks.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

People don't seem to worry about power spikes over ethernet cables. It's different than phone lines which are likely more hazardous.

Old 11-28-2008, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For whatever reason the Oppo and the Yamaha just won't agree on 1080p . . . .

This is a known issue with the Yamaha RX-Z11 and the Oppo 983H -- in that case (and I can testify from personal experience) they won't work together at any resolution via HDMI.

This probably implies that the RX-Z7 won't work with the 983 either.

I think Anchor Bay needs to look into this -- it's kind of embarrasing when your own video processors won't work with each other.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

Well every resolution works fine except 1080p. I talked to another guy that went through this exact same issue last year with the Yammy 3800 and he said eventually Oppo released a fix for it. To Michael, both my Oppo and my Kuro 151 seem to do a better job at all video processing than the Yamaha to my eyes. It looks better on both units. I have the receiver simply set to passthrough and that is all I want. Also for the meantime it is fine, because I never said I would use component. I will leave HDMI exactly how it is, only I will run the HDMI directly from the Oppo to the tv, then I will run toslink optical audio from the Oppo to the Yammy. In the Oppo menu I can simply disable audio over HDMI and it will use the optical audio. It is a very simple workaround, just thought it was an odd hiccup is all. Now I know what the hiccup is and how to get around it but I do want to avoid the Yamaha doing any of the processing. The Oppo looks better in this aspect. And lastly yes, it is pretty odd that both processors are from Anchor Bay and they have incompatability issues.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post

Volume overlay is on the HDMI outputs regardless of input, but absent on the component outputs regardless of input [except 480 sources (?)].

Is this true for the RX-V1900 as well? That may affect my decision....

Old 11-28-2008, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

Can you say why you're expecting the Z7 to be an upgrade from the 4308, they seem to be quite close on paper.

Well the Denon wouldn't pass a HD signal with the unit turned off, has the worst remote imaginable, doesn't have bluetooth capability, video processing isn't impressive, no front HDMI input, and doesn't have Sirus radio capability. And also the sound sounds almost "generic." Very clean but not very "warm," the sound I use to enjoy from my older Onkyo Integra amps. Don't get me wrong, the Denon is a good receiver but it was missing some features I could use, the "warmth" in the sound department, and the remotes Denon supplies ruins the whole experience. Just been setting up the Z7 using the remote and I can already tell you the remote Yamaha supplies is a much better lay out and a whole lot easier to use. So far so good...
Old 11-28-2008, 11:11 PM

I'm not sure if anyone can help me but I just received my rx-v3900 today. Everything was fine until I went to program the stations for the tuner. It seems the tuner is totaly not working. None of the buttons (preset/tuner/ch, memory, band) do anything. The book says nothing about this problem. I hope it is just me being dumb, but I have the receiver set to tuner and no static or any sound is heard.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatHead88 View Post

Good to see other people care about on screen display of volume etc. and through what inputs/outputs it can be overlayed on but I own neither the RXV1900 nor RXV3900 so I can't comment, sorry.

There are so many posts (above and in countless other threads about all brands) that mention "issues" with HDMI, I am surprised more people don't care about how component on screen display info works since it is the only 100% reliable HD signal path. [No HDCP handshake issues, image delays, "repeater" vs. "switcher" issues, etc]

I hate to sound like a broken record but... HDMI sux!

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

Old 11-29-2008, 01:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

HDMI can work. And HDMI can avoid an unecessary digital to analog to digital conversion. I agree that HDMI is painful for some, though.

HDMI works almost perfectly for me. The only issue is Tivo's output resolution being reset from native to some other mode.

Old 11-29-2008, 01:51 AM
Advanced Member

I'm with Michael on this one. Other than my one strange hiccup with 1080p on my Oppo everything else is flawless on HDMI and it makes everything so much cleaner and nicer in the back. I love not even having to switch inputs on my tv. Everything is just one single HDMI out to my tv. Very smooth for me really. I'm loving my setup right now. I had originally thought about a nice remote like a Harmony One but really with this receiver it would be pointless. All I do is pick up the Yammy remote and if I want tv I just have the sat/cab button, if I want DVD I just hit the DVD button, and if I want to game or watch a blu-ray on my PS3 all I do is hit the BD/HD button. One press, no switching inputs. It's been a great purchase.
Old 11-29-2008, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatHead88 View Post

The 1900 doesn't overlay volume over HDMI at all (it has the exact same video section as the 1800).
Old 11-29-2008, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well the Denon wouldn't pass a HD signal with the unit turned off, has the worst remote imaginable, doesn't have bluetooth capability, video processing isn't impressive, no front HDMI input, and doesn't have Sirus radio capability. And also the sound sounds almost "generic." Very clean but not very "warm," the sound I use to enjoy from my older Onkyo Integra amps. Don't get me wrong, the Denon is a good receiver but it was missing some features I could use, the "warmth" in the sound department, and the remotes Denon supplies ruins the whole experience. Just been setting up the Z7 using the remote and I can already tell you the remote Yamaha supplies is a much better lay out and a whole lot easier to use. So far so good...

Fair enough, that's quite a lot of extra features the Z7 has.

As for "warm" sound, I guess that depends on your definition. I certainly don't think Yamaha deserves the reputation it somehow acquired as being "bright" sounding. With EQ off the frequency response has been measured as dead flat as it should be. But YPAO does like to boost high frequencies in some modes (certainly in "Flat" mode).
Old 11-29-2008, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad639 View Post

I'm not sure if anyone can help me but I just received my rx-v3900 today. Everything was fine until I went to program the stations for the tuner. It seems the tuner is totaly not working. None of the buttons (preset/tuner/ch, memory, band) do anything. The book says nothing about this problem. I hope it is just me being dumb, but I have the receiver set to tuner and no static or any sound is heard.

Two suggestions--not clear exactly how you were trying to do this: 1) try it from the front panel to get some confidence in the AVR, 2) slide the switch on the side of the remote to Source.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

HDMI can work.... I agree that HDMI is painful for some, though.

HDMI works almost perfectly for me. The only issue is...

Quote:

Other than my one strange hiccup with...

Don't get me wrong, I agree HDMI theoretically (and often in practice) looks the best and some day might fulfill the promise of an entire system with only one wire between each device ( for the few remaining years that we even use wires, that is) but the fact of the matter is that many people in many threads using many different brands are still, even several years after its release, having not one or two but rather multiple issues with HDMI.

Because it is so problematic and plagued with "buts" the professional video installation world has decided to stick with component as the primary HD video communication path and connects HDMI only secondarily with the proviso: "You might be lucky, we make no promises". I'm following their lead. To me HDMI is "plug and pray" technology whereas HD component pretty much works 100% of the time. For those of you with rock solid HDMI set ups, that's great, I envy you.

When people have problems with HDMI they should realize they aren't just one in a million, but rather they represent one of millions.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

Old 11-29-2008, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick W View Post

Two suggestions--not clear exactly how you were trying to do this: 1) try it from the front panel to get some confidence in the AVR, 2) slide the switch on the side of the remote to Source.

Thanks for the reply, I have done just that as the manual says and still nothing. Putting the remote on source then going to tuner.

One thing I think it might be is the film ware update. But thats the other problem. Everytime I try to install it with a thumb drive in the USB port it says "device error" on the receiver. My unit has ver 1.2 and trying to update to 1.4. I think I will go get a new thumb drive.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:43 PM

brad - I would hook it up to network and do it that way. Very easy to do, and goes quickly.

m.zillch - I agree. It's very flaky, or can be. What can work for one set-up may not for the other and it can be frustrating.

The ozone layer or cheese in a spray can? Don't make me choose
Old 11-29-2008, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I've got a 1900 and I have a question about the display. I want the input to display on top and the audio decoding to be on the bottom. Best I can do it get either or. Any chance that you can have both?