Forum Jump: 

post #2521 of 6042 Old 04-19-2009, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

It has a link for going to the vTuner web site to manage your Internet radio settings, but it's basically a really cool front end interface for the receiver.. you can do most things you can with the remote control...

It is definitely not a web portal that allows the receiver to go on the web and access third party content.. there are no receivers that do that (I've owned most of the current gen AVR's from Denon, Onkyo, Pioneer and Yamaha.)

Hulu and Netfilx require hardware solutions to use in this situation (i.e. XBox 360 for Netflix or an actual HTPC for Hulu...)

Wow that's a pretty nice interface! It would be nice if that was what it looks like on the tv screen. Do you have any pic's of the gui on the tv screen, I've not seen it.

Also to the guy asking about netflix, my samsung BD-P3600 blu ray player connects to and streams hd movies from them! Its the best movie source I have, I cancelled my hbo, showtime, and cinamax on my directv!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2522 of 6042 Old 04-19-2009, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:

You need to call for the powerbuy price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmb2428 View Post

Well like the post above said, I called and left 2 messages thru the day and just got a machine, so I explained what I wanted to do and left my phone number, I heard nothing back, I also emailed them twice about the problem im having with the 1900, all I get is an email saying something about some kind of ticket has been generated and they will get back to me asap. Then nothing further. So obviously their free 3y warranty is garbage as well.

Quote:

Well I called them friday evening, the guy I talked to was aware of me contacting them but didn't know why nobody got back to me. Anyway he said they ran out of 3900's and are waiting for more, and when they come in they will sell me one for the 1299 sale price after I ship the 1900 back. Also they will not charge me the 10% restocking fee, that would have been a deal breaker I would have just kept the 1900. So im just waiting for them to contact me!

As I said, you needed to call for the PB price... I read your post carefully and understood it completely.

It's no excuse for their non contact (I also had a contact black out from them last week as well... ) Nor should they leave that coupon code on the site if it doesn't work..

That didn't however change the accuracy of my reply to you.

I'm glad they are taking care of you...

With that being said.. I think it would've been good AVS etiquette to come back and give us an update after you trashed them without being asked, as despite this poor example, they are a good source of gear for those looking for deals.
post #2523 of 6042 Old 04-19-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeljhuman View Post

$1299? Seriously? Man, i should have waited for a price like that.

Anyway, my current av goal is to sell off my 3900 and get a z7 if i can find a good price on one for the better vp (at least in theory.)

oops!!!
post #2524 of 6042 Old 04-19-2009, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Audioholics had the z7 for xxxx, and the z11 for xxxx last week. That's 700 and xxxx off regular price!

A reminder that it's against AVS policy to post prices..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

Anyway, my current AV goal is to sell off my 3900 and get a Z7 if I can find a good price on one for the better VP (at least in theory.)

Audioholics or 6ave (use code AFLAUD25 and get 25% off.)
post #2525 of 6042 Old 04-19-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:

As I said, you needed to call for the PB price... I read your post carefully and understood it completely.

It's no excuse for their non contact (I also had a contact black out from them last week as well... ) Nor should they leave that coupon code on the site if it doesn't work..

That didn't however change the accuracy of my reply to you.

I'm glad they are taking care of you...

With that being said.. I think it would've been good AVS etiquette to come back and give us an update after you trashed them without being asked, as despite this poor example, they are a good source of gear for those looking for deals.

Agreed, and I was going to, I just got beat to it, asked about it before I got a change to post an update!
post #2526 of 6042 Old 04-19-2009, 12:16 PM

I'm having a problem with a connection from my Mototola digital set top box to the 3900.

The Motorola doesn't have a hdmi port so I tried to connect it to the 3900 using a
dvi-d to hdmi cable I previously used to connect to my tv with no luck.

I get the GUI screen for a second or two then it cuts out.

Anyone have this problem, if so how did you fix it.

Thanks
post #2527 of 6042 Old 04-19-2009, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:

Wow that's a pretty nice interface! It would be nice if that was what it looks like on the tv screen. Do you have any pic's of the gui on the tv screen, I've not seen it.

Also to the guy asking about netflix, my samsung BD-P3600 blu ray player connects to and streams hd movies from them! Its the best movie source I have, I cancelled my hbo, showtime, and cinamax on my directv!!!

You canceled skinnamax? How ever will you live without fake adult movies?

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #2528 of 6042 Old 04-19-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:

The web browser interface is for receiver control.. and it isn't exclusive to PC's... my iPhone can use it too.

EDIT: All you have to do is put the IP address into your local network connected computer browser.

It has a link for going to the vTuner web site to manage your Internet radio settings, but it's basically a really cool front end interface for the receiver.. you can do most things you can with the remote control...

It is definitely not a web portal that allows the receiver to go on the web and access third party content.. there are no receivers that do that (I've owned most of the current gen AVR's from Denon, Onkyo, Pioneer and Yamaha.)

Hulu and Netfilx require hardware solutions to use in this situation (i.e. XBox 360 for Netflix or an actual HTPC for Hulu...)

Thanks for the info on networking and pics of the interfaces. Looks pretty cool but I am really looking for an AVR or ideally a SINGLE hardware appliance (other than HTCP) that has connectivity to major source content like hulu, netflix, you tube, and others. So far I have not found any. I do have the Samsung 2550 BD player and can stream netflix but having one unit that could handle everything would be nice. Seems like the approach being taken is proprietary (unfortunately) with various audio and video companies building their own platforms.
post #2529 of 6042 Old 04-19-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:

First thing I would do is check your input settings, make sure your ps3 is set to the correct video input on the 3900. after that I would switch hdmi cables with a known good cable, if that doesn't work I would plug the ps3 hdmi cable into a different input on the back of the receiver. That would cover any cable or input problems with the 3900. If it stll doesn't work its got to be the ps3, plug its hdmi cable into the back of the tv and see if its working.

I'm an idiot. Thanks so much. The HDMI cable wasn't quite seated all the way into the back of the PS3. I thought sure that I had those cables connected all the way in. I was going crazy experimenting with the menus on the receiver.

Now, if I can just get my Harmony 659 to work like it did with my RX-V 2092 and the bass to output to my DefTech Mythos STS powered subs (like it did with my 2092), I'll be happy. For some reason, the YPAO isn't recognizing the subs. I have checked my cable connections and speaker volume knobs, attached a Y-connector to the receiver and both sub cables from the speakers to the Y-connector. I'll keep trying, but if anyone has any help, I'd appreciate it. I'm amazed that this receiver doesn't have two sub outputs.
post #2530 of 6042 Old 04-19-2009, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robusto400 View Post

Thanks for the info on networking and pics of the interfaces. Looks pretty cool but I am really looking for an AVR or ideally a SINGLE hardware appliance (other than HTCP) that has connectivity to major source content like hulu, netflix, you tube, and others. So far I have not found any...

I don't think you will... a HTPC is the only way to achieve this..

I do think the Yamaha with internet radio and Rhapsody along with an Apple TV is an elegant solution if you want to rent movies, stream music, look at pictures, and access YouTube on your TV.. for others, a BR player with Netflix access also works... but for those looking for all in one flexibility, the PC is still the only way to go.

But I don't know if you've see streaming video to an AVR in the next year.
post #2531 of 6042 Old 04-19-2009, 03:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Quote:

Audioholics or 6ave (use code AFLAUD25 and get 25% off.)

I got my 3900 with a coupon from 6ave several months age and it was the cheapest price, by far, I could find. Every other Web site was pricing both 1900s and 3900 at full blown retail.

On another issue, thanks for your very informative reproductions of the 3900's Web connection pages. I experimented with it briefly immediately after I got mine but had no idea that it was as sophisticated as it is. I am looking forward to seeing how it works when I try to tune to Internet radio stations using it. It appears as if it will be pretty slick.
post #2532 of 6042 Old 04-19-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the info on networking and pics of the interfaces. Looks pretty cool but I am really looking for an AVR or ideally a SINGLE hardware appliance (other than HTCP) that has connectivity to major source content like hulu, netflix, you tube, and others. So far I have not found any. I do have the Samsung 2550 BD player and can stream netflix but having one unit that could handle everything would be nice. Seems like the approach being taken is proprietary (unfortunately) with various audio and video companies building their own platforms.

The PS3 will do hulu and youtube. I watched "The Unit" the other day on my 73" Mits via hulu and the quality wasn't too bad.
post #2533 of 6042 Old 04-19-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:

I like my HD TiVo. It does Netflix streaming, YouTube, Rhapsody, Amazon Video on Demand, Live365 for Internet radio. No Hulu at this time, but they seem to keep adding features. I get digital cable including IFC and Sundance with the CableCard, but don't bother with any of the premium movie channels since I have Netflix.
post #2534 of 6042 Old 04-19-2009, 11:27 PM

I bought the htr-6290 yesterday, i think its the canadian version of the 1900. So far so good, this thing is a beast. I did a very quick setup, just in time for the hockey game. I watched transporter 3 after and it sounded excellent! I had it on the thx natural setting. Its very powerful too, i couldnt even turn it up to half way without it being VERY loud. So far im really enjoying the receiver.
post #2535 of 6042 Old 04-19-2009, 11:34 PM

I have a question, how would you hookup 2 powred subs to this receiver? Right now i have 1 connected to teh sub preout. I bought this Y connector, if i plug that into the preout and then connect a sub to each, would that work?
post #2536 of 6042 Old 04-20-2009, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanle View Post

I have a question, how would you hookup 2 powred subs to this receiver? Right now i have 1 connected to teh sub preout. I bought this Y connector, if i plug that into the preout and then connect a sub to each, would that work?

Yes.
post #2537 of 6042 Old 04-20-2009, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quenthal View Post

Yes.

great, thanks!
post #2538 of 6042 Old 04-20-2009, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurn Blanston View Post

I'm an idiot. Thanks so much. The HDMI cable wasn't quite seated all the way into the back of the PS3. I thought sure that I had those cables connected all the way in. I was going crazy experimenting with the menus on the receiver.

Now, if I can just get my Harmony 659 to work like it did with my RX-V 2092 and the bass to output to my DefTech Mythos STS powered subs (like it did with my 2092), I'll be happy. For some reason, the YPAO isn't recognizing the subs. I have checked my cable connections and speaker volume knobs, attached a Y-connector to the receiver and both sub cables from the speakers to the Y-connector. I'll keep trying, but if anyone has any help, I'd appreciate it. I'm amazed that this receiver doesn't have two sub outputs.

FWIW - the Harmony works very well with my 3900 - though, of course, it doesn't know about all of the different modes that are on the RCVR remote. The separate buttons for the different modes - and for the control menu are a reason to keep the receiver remote around, though I'm the only one who needs to use it.

As for the subs - it would be nice to have two outputs, but the receiver is otherwise so good... You may want to go into the menu and be sure that you indicate that they are there. Also, if the subs have an "auto on" mode such that they are off all the time, they may not be detected by the YPAO. Try turning them to "always on" for the setup. You may be able to switch them back to auto thereafter.

Good luck,

Joe
post #2539 of 6042 Old 04-20-2009, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

thanks for your very informative reproductions of the 3900's Web connection pages.

For the record: the presence of Zone 4 and Party Mode references suggest those screen shots are from the apparently very similar RX-Z7, not an RX-V3900.
post #2540 of 6042 Old 04-20-2009, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurn Blanston View Post

For some reason, the YPAO isn't recognizing the subs. I have checked my cable connections and speaker volume knobs, attached a Y-connector to the receiver and both sub cables from the speakers to the Y-connector. I'll keep trying, but if anyone has any help, I'd appreciate it. I'm amazed that this receiver doesn't have two sub outputs.

Double check that you have the sub(s) connected to the sub preout. When I first hooked up mine, I had my sub and center plugged into the multi-ch inputs (I was off by one column).

After seeing all the various current HD providers, I really, really miss Voom
post #2541 of 6042 Old 04-20-2009, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by frottage View Post

Double check that you have the sub(s) connected to the sub preout. When I first hooked up mine, I had my sub and center plugged into the multi-ch inputs (I was off by one column).

All too easy to do when working from behind when it's against a wall!

Some general advice I have for Yamaha owners. Go to their website, find a large back panel image, and print it out on a color printer. That helps. The diagrams in the manual are practically useless. Also, I use a small flashlight when working back there, and reading glasses. Damn, getting old sucks

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #2542 of 6042 Old 04-20-2009, 06:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

All too easy to do when working from behind when it's against a wall!

Some general advice I have for Yamaha owners. Go to their website, find a large back panel image, and print it out on a color printer. That helps. The diagrams in the manual are practically useless. Also, I use a small flashlight when working back there, and reading glasses. Damn, getting old sucks

That is a good idea. I printed out the blowups of each area of my old 2400's back panel on my color laser printer and kept them tucked into the owner's manual. I used the printouts more often than I used the rest of the manual. I didn't make copies of the back panel illustrations of my 3900 when I set it up but I was VERY careful about getting the connections right. There are about a zillion connection possibilities on a modern AV receiver and doing it right is not a trivial exercise.
post #2543 of 6042 Old 04-21-2009, 04:04 AM

Hi from Australia

I have just got a 3900 of these and am very impressed

One question that I can not seen to find, in the manual or online ?

How does this receiver deal with LFE levels on the multi analogue inputs, I can not find any where a +10db setting ?

Surly on such a complete and well designed unit I will not be forced to have resort to setting the Sub at +10 in the speaker set up and change it each time I want to go from multi analog to
digital inputs.

Can anyone help ?

All my previous receivers had this setting
post #2544 of 6042 Old 04-21-2009, 08:01 AM

Before I run out and purchase a Coax cable, I would like some advice...

I have a BluRay/dvd player that has both Coax and Toslink outs...

If I connect the coax out...to the cd in of my RX-V3900...will the receiver still output video from the previous source (hdmi)?

I still want to figure a way to play cd's and watch sports...while still processing the hdmi feed through the receiver...
post #2545 of 6042 Old 04-21-2009, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill2 View Post

Hi from Australia

I have just got a 3900 of these and am very impressed

One question that I can not seen to find, in the manual or online ?

How does this receiver deal with LFE levels on the multi analogue inputs, I can not find any where a +10db setting ?

Surly on such a complete and well designed unit I will not be forced to have resort to setting the Sub at +10 in the speaker set up and change it each time I want to go from multi analog to
digital inputs.

Can anyone help ?

All my previous receivers had this setting

Yes the 3900 has setting for each input to adjust speaker levels and it will remember the settings for each input so when you switch from one to the other you willn't have to readjust them.
post #2546 of 6042 Old 04-21-2009, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:

Yes the 3900 has setting for each input to adjust speaker levels and it will remember the settings for each input so when you switch from one to the other you willn't have to readjust them.

It has a volume trim for each input, but that affects all channels equally. I don't think it remembers individual speaker levels for each input (I'm going by what Receiver Manager lets me do, since I don't have a 3900).
post #2547 of 6042 Old 04-21-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm_4u View Post

Before I run out and purchase a Coax cable, I would like some advice...

I have a BluRay/dvd player that has both Coax and Toslink outs...

If I connect the coax out...to the cd in of my RX-V3900...will the receiver still output video from the previous source (hdmi)?

I still want to figure a way to play cd's and watch sports...while still processing the hdmi feed through the receiver...

Well I have the 1900, I think the 3900 is the same, when you go into the menu and assign the inputs you will not be able to set it so you can have 2 different inputs assigned the same video source.

To give you some idea how to fool the avr into doing what you want this is what I did. I have one input labeled directv, another labeled camera for my security camera, I wanted the same audio for the 2 inputs. So the directv is set to get audio and video from the hdmi, and the camera I plugged it into a rca input for video and then ran a Toslink cable from the audio out of the directv receiver to a optical input of the 1900 and assigned that optical input to the camera. So if you want the same device to supply video to 2 different inputs your going to have to maybe run a analog video cable from the dvd player to the cd input, it will not be able to get it from the hdmi.
post #2548 of 6042 Old 04-21-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

It has a volume trim for each input, but that affects all channels equally. I don't think it remembers individual speaker levels for each input (I'm going by what Receiver Manager lets me do, since I don't have a 3900).

The remote has a button called level each time you press it it will cycle thru each speaker level, so when you are switched to the muti channel input, just press level button and the display will read LF then center, RF,RR,SB,LR,SW. Each time you see the speaker you want to adjust you press the arrow up or down button to adjust the level. When you get to Subwoffer it might be labeled LFE just press the up or down arrow button to adjust the level +10 to -10 db.
post #2549 of 6042 Old 04-21-2009, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm_4u View Post

...I still want to figure a way to play cd's and watch sports...while still processing the hdmi feed through the receiver...

The AUDIO SEL button should let you keep watching HDMI video while taking audio from optical or coax. If you connect the extra audio cable to the same named input as the HDMI video, you shouldn't even have to do any I/O assignments.
post #2550 of 6042 Old 04-21-2009, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The remote has a button called level each time you press it it will cycle thru each speaker level, so when you are switched to the muti channel input, just press level button and the display will read LF then center, RF,RR,SB,LR,SW. Each time you see the speaker you want to adjust you press the arrow up or down button to adjust the level. When you get to Subwoffer it might be labeled LFE just press the up or down arrow button to adjust the level +10 to -10 db.

Yes, but this doesn't mean it's remembering your settings independently for each input. Did you verify that it is? In Receiver Manager there's only one set of speaker levels, not one per input.

You can use system memories to store different settings of course, but then you have to manually select the right memory for each input.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page