Forum Jump: 

Old 09-11-2008, 07:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjr View Post

Don't know how much stock to put in the ISF certification, though. I'm not sure if certification is granted as a result of testing or based on specs submitted by the manufacturer. There's no doubt that Onkyo's specs are impressive. It just botched the implementation in last year's models.

Agreed - but if the implementation is botched again, the consumer will associate ISF with the issue - not just Onkyo. As a consumer, if you owned the 906 and paid to have your TV calibrated only to be told by an ISF technician that it cannot be properly calibrated - it would be tough to accept. It would be in their (ISF) best interests to ensure that it works otherwise it will tarnish their image. With THX - whether you value it or not - I believe the units are tested and are rejected if they don't pass certain criteria. As you said, the ISF certification may just be ensuring certain options in setup, but in my opinion that would be a mistake. What good are the settings, if you can't meet the final goal due to an issue within the actual product that is certified.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2008, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akopperl View Post

Agreed - but if the implementation is botched again, the consumer will associate ISF with the issue - not just Onkyo. As a consumer, if you owned the 906 and paid to have your TV calibrated only to be told by an ISF technician that it cannot be properly calibrated - it would be tough to accept. It would be in their (ISF) best interests to ensure that it works otherwise it will tarnish their image. With THX - whether you value it or not - I believe the units are tested and are rejected if they don't pass certain criteria. As you said, the ISF certification may just be ensuring certain options in setup, but in my opinion that would be a mistake. What good are the settings, if you can't meet the final goal due to an issue within the actual product that is certified.

Exact same argument we have been making for months with Silicon Optix. Because of Onkyo's poor implementation of SO's Reon product, SO's good name is getting tarnished. So far, no luck. The argument certainly didn't hinder SO lending its name to a new line up of Onkyo receivers even though Onkyo never fixed problems with the old ones.

There are hundreds and hundreds of pages of posts spanning at least three owners threads and two firmware threads where people have made just about every argument and advanced every theory imaginable. I see the 906 thread just started its seventh page. 905 owners were there about a year ago. You new owners are just coming to the party. Welcome.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:00 AM

I have an ISF tech coming out next week and will show him the posts regarding color space issue. I will post results.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by friedfast View Post

I have an ISF tech coming out next week and will show him the posts regarding color space issue. I will post results.

Outstanding!!!! Were you able to find the ones on the other threads that documented the problem in more detail? My explanation is my best attempt but it is deficient.

For a more detailed explanation (albeit an early one that was developed later in the owners and firmware threads) search for the thread titled "Reon changing color space." Something about the Reon outputting all signals, HD included, in BT601 encoding instead of outputting HD using BT709 is the technical explanation.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:19 PM

No, but I will direct him there. I am new to this, and do not know qualifications of tech. He just got back from a seminar in Denver and his firm is a dealer for Onkyo so hopefully current on this issue.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:52 PM

I, as many others are very satisfied with the 905. The issues stated are a bit blown out of proportion for 99% of the users. Yes it's not quite perfect, but few can actually see the issues other than with specialty measurment tools. A look at similarly priced competitors have a much poorer solution with far worse artifacts and distortion. The video processor is easy to turn off if you see it really affecting the image or if you want to compare how it looks with and without it.

I've kept track of the 905 threads from before it released, and yes there is a ton of great information (and misinformation). I also looked very closely at the Denon (which is it's natural competitor) and it had far worse problems at the start including GUI crashes. Both Onkyo and Denon did fix various issues with firmware updates. While Onkyo didn't make the updates available directly, I found it easy to get them and install the updates, although the Denon clearly has a better means of updates via Ethernet.

Could it be better - yes, but I strongly feel you get the most bang for the money with the 905/906. Great sound, video and an extensive feature set.

Is Onkyo's support awful? I grade it about the same as everyone else (poor), but I've not seen any issues with Onkyo fixing/replacing defective receivers.

Anyway, my 2 cents. I know others will disagree or are upset at what I consider rather trival concerns when looking at the complete package. There are better solutions like the Denon 5308, but at $5000+ it's out of my price range!
Old 09-11-2008, 01:02 PM

Every time I read a positive remark I get encouraged and I'm rethinking the pros and cons on the Onkyo. Then someone comes along with a different horrifying story.
Is color space the last one? Come on out guys, whoever had these negative experiences, could you put in bullets what is a pending issue?
Old 09-11-2008, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezervoud View Post

Every time I read a positive remark I get encouraged and I'm rethinking the pros and cons on the Onkyo. Then someone comes along with a different horrifying story.
Is color space the last one? Come on out guys, whoever had these negative experiences, could you put in bullets what is a pending issue?

Only one other for me, two others in total I am aware of:

1. Slight remaining lip synch after update to f/w 1.08
2. Stetch-o-vision -- all 4:3 sources are stretched to 16:9. Some displays can correct for it, so not a problem for everybody.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcor View Post

I, as many others are very satisfied with the 905. The issues stated are a bit blown out of proportion for 99% of the users. Yes it's not quite perfect, but few can actually see the issues other than with specialty measurment tools. A look at similarly priced competitors have a much poorer solution with far worse artifacts and distortion. The video processor is easy to turn off if you see it really affecting the image or if you want to compare how it looks with and without it.

I've kept track of the 905 threads from before it released, and yes there is a ton of great information (and misinformation). I also looked very closely at the Denon (which is it's natural competitor) and it had far worse problems at the start including GUI crashes. Both Onkyo and Denon did fix various issues with firmware updates. While Onkyo didn't make the updates available directly, I found it easy to get them and install the updates, although the Denon clearly has a better means of updates via Ethernet.

Could it be better - yes, but I strongly feel you get the most bang for the money with the 905/906. Great sound, video and an extensive feature set.

Is Onkyo's support awful? I grade it about the same as everyone else (poor), but I've not seen any issues with Onkyo fixing/replacing defective receivers.

Anyway, my 2 cents. I know others will disagree or are upset at what I consider rather trival concerns when looking at the complete package. There are better solutions like the Denon 5308, but at $5000+ it's out of my price range!

vcor, you make valid points. The remaining issues won't necessarily bother everybody. But the information should be available so people can make an informed choice. Glad you're happy. I am not. Take the Reon out of the picture (which those of us who can't stomach the color shift have done) and the 905 (and especially the more expensive Integras) starts to have a lot more competition at its price point.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by friedfast View Post

No, but I will direct him there. I am new to this, and do not know qualifications of tech. He just got back from a seminar in Denver and his firm is a dealer for Onkyo so hopefully current on this issue.

That thread is in the Display Calibration forum, since I was hoping to get some experienced folks to comment on my observations. Here's the pointer to that thread. I think there's enough information there for a competent ISF calibrator to see the problem, if it's still there. All they have to do is check the decoding with the Reon on vs off.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I, as many others are very satisfied with the 905. The issues stated are a bit blown out of proportion for 99% of the users.... The video processor is easy to turn off if you see it really affecting the image or if you want to compare how it looks with and without it.

.... Both Onkyo and Denon did fix various issues with firmware updates. While Onkyo didn't make the updates available directly, I found it easy to get them and install the updates, although the Denon clearly has a better means of updates via Ethernet.

vcor:

I think you and others who think this way just capitulate. It's individuals like that who will accept less than what was promised AND paid for and don't care. Who accept non-working features becuase everyone else has problems too. Those people make the rest of us who actually care about representations and warranties and promises suffer.

The problems with the Onkyo and certainly the much more expensive INTEGRA line are NOT minor. The botched implementation of the SQV Silicon Optics Reon processor is not minor. It's why some of us - who don't watch on 42-50" screens bought the processor. It's a promise that Onkyo made that what we bought would work and DO AS PROMISED.

The fact it does not strikes me as a blatant fraud by Onkyo. I don't pay for "broken promises" or that last 1-10% of functionality - as you would have them - that dosen't work. Would you be in the same position if you bought a car that was represented by the manufacturer to reach speeds up to 130 miles per hour but only would go 110? Does the lie matter to you if you are like "99%" of users and never drive over 85 MPH? I assume you would just live with your 85 MPH car. How about a car that can do 130 but has brakes that will fail at 110. Good enough for 99% of the people. (Sounds like the Pinto or the Explorer revisited - we see what the Pinto taught Ford).

What about a car with 3 of 4 power windows that worked as advertised? Or a radio that got 10/50 FM stations available. Or a heater that only went to 78 not 80 degrees. Sure who cares. Who needs 80 degree air. Who's gonna use those other 40 stations. Who needs four working windows when you have three. For 99% of the people "just enough" is good enough. Wow.

Pity since you and similar minds probably could have paid A LOT less for the same car that was rated to only go 80 MPH, had only three working windows or a flawed radio that DIDN'T receive your favorite station.

Fraud is fraud. Misreprsenations and faulty products are just that. Onkyo/Integra promised products that worked AS ADVERTISED including a Reon that works and doesn't change the original INPUT colors to something else. Onkyo didn't admit it. Onkyo dosen't care. They only put out some updates to those users who KNOW about the problems and the updates - BUT NOT those who don't know about them. Great customer service - yep just like Denon huh? Yes, Onkyo did fix (for those that know how to get the fixes and apply them in the most arcane way possible -RS232 port from computer and Toslink from a CD player) SOME issues but NOT ALL issues they know about.

And please, please don't give people hope about updates from Onkyo. There are no more updates. There techincally never were updates but for a few forum members who have connections and were kind enough to share. Onkyo will not give them out. Install them wrong and brick your unit and Onkyo will DENY warranty coverage. Onkyo does not distribute them automatically like Denon over the net. Onkyo could give a flying you-know-what about you and you receiver. They are glad you and "99% of users" with small or uncalibrated screens don't know what to look for and haven't learned about their mispresentations and defects.

99% of users can't tell 1080p vs 1080i vs 720p? So what - "just turn it off and live with it". Well some of us can and some of us do care. I didn't buy this at Walmart. I am not Joe somebody with a generic LCD pannel and a generic VCR and $39.99 "upscaling" DVD player.

The DTR 8.8 (brother to the 905 and father of the 906/8.9) is a product that DOES NOT work as promised. I don't care if 90 or 98% of it works. I paid for 100%. IT's FLAWED and Onkyo and apparently Silicon Optics doesn't care. They don't care becuase "the it's good enough people" don't care. And as long as people take the niave view that 88% or 99% of what you pay for is GOOD ENOUGH Onkyo won't care. I'll also bet frankly that's why they don't.

Instead of patronizing the "other 1%" - tell people to educate themselves on the product. Don't pretend the 99% of the world knows what's best for that alleged "1%" of super-mega-involved-expert users with a reasuring "99% of you will never know Onkyo is not giving you what you paid for".

I am a huge free speech advocate - and so I considered your position. I respect your thoughts but really expect you to direct others to consider the facts.

Let the Onkyo/Integra customers read the realities and these threads:

The DTR 8.8 thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=903024

The Firmware Updates thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1016297

The 905 thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=884772

7500 posts - and it's not all good news. Some people can't even get those updgrades because their units don't have updater version 1.01. Pitty - maybe they'll never know what their missing.

Isn't it time someone promoted quality as value?
Old 09-11-2008, 07:30 PM
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post

there is a new zoom mode which allows you to zoom into a non-anamorphic video to get it to fill a 16:9 screen rather than having black bars all around.

OR is it
Quote:

3. Something new here...Zoom mode. You now can stretch a non-anamorphic image to fill the screen.

Can you please clarify..is it a zoom to fill the screen OR a stretch? I really am having a hard time understanding what it does.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by W3bbY View Post

OR is it

Can you please clarify..is it a zoom to fill the screen OR a stretch? I really am having a hard time understanding what it does.

if you watch a non-anamorphic movie (like the American President), you normally will get black bars all around the image when viewed thru a HDMI signal. With the 906, you can select this zoom option and the image fills the screen... in all its glorious edge enhanced grainy image...

and what's the difference between zoom or stretch? doesn't it do the same thing???

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
Old 09-11-2008, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
OK one big gripe so far with my 906. Now I am brand new to HDMI so may this is the issue? My image is flickering somtimes. Kinda like is loosing sync or somthing. It may do it randomly during a program or like today doing it constantly until I keep swithcing inputs and them maybe it goes away. I have all top of the line HDMI cables too? COuld I have some setting wrong. I have everything kind of on Auto?

ANy help or suggestions will be appriciated. Oh I still HATE not having more direct buttons for surround modes. I hate have to toggle thru several to get to the one I like. I also then have to kep the OSD display on since my equipment is all behind the drop down screen....grrrrrr.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horta View Post

OK one big gripe so far with my 906. Now I am brand new to HDMI so may this is the issue? My image is flickering somtimes. Kinda like is loosing sync or somthing. It may do it randomly during a program or like today doing it constantly until I keep swithcing inputs and them maybe it goes away. I have all top of the line HDMI cables too? COuld I have some setting wrong. I have everything kind of on Auto?

Is this happening with just one source or all sources? Also, what source component(s) are giving you trouble (brand/model)? Does it seem to occur after a set period of time or is it truly random?

HDMI issues are difficult to diagnose - but it may be helpful if we knew what components are causing problems. This way if someone else has the same DVR, etc. - we could determine if it is the component or maybe something with your particular setup.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akopperl View Post

Is this happening with just one source or all sources? Also, what source component(s) are giving you trouble (brand/model)? Does it seem to occur after a set period of time or is it truly random?

HDMI issues are difficult to diagnose - but it may be helpful if we knew what components are causing problems. This way if someone else has the same DVR, etc. - we could determine if it is the component or maybe something with your particular setup.

OK lets see if I can keep this simple to explain.

Two video Outputs
70" analog RPTV S-Video only (No Flicker)
LCD Projector Epson 1080UB (Flicker but never use too before 906) HDMI in only

Inputs
Sony 400 DVD Changer Comp out to 906 (Flickers some)

DirecTv HD DVR HR20 HDMI (Flickers most of any) Totaly random. When I pull up my list of recording its starts up. I hit pause or something it starts up. Watch a HD show for a while and the flicker stops.

Blu-Ray Pioneer BDP-05 (Flickers Some)

I guess I need to do more testing.. Maybe the DirecTv unit is causing some kind of interfeance? I guess I could hook it up just with Component and see it that stops it?

When I pull up the Onko menus the flicker instontly stops. Now understand all this flickering in ONLY happening when watching the Projector and the projector only has one connection going to it, HDMI.

I did notice the flicker from day one but it was really minor almost like "Did you see that? What was that" it was so rare. Now that I hooked up the Blu-ray it going nuts? Tomorrow and this weekend I have plenty of time to debug it....the fancy we all get the more complicated and pain in the but this hobby gets...but we love it... : )
Old 09-11-2008, 11:01 PM

Mine did the same thing until I setup the HDMI Main output properly. Don't leave it on AUTO, go into the video settings and change the Auto setting to whatever your displays actual resolution is (720p, 1080i, 1080p,etc). Once that's done turn the 906 off for a min before restarting and everything "SHOULD" be OK. It worked for me and now it works like a charm and doesnt miss a beat.
BTW: Get your Internet radio hooked up it's fantastic!!

Good luck and hope this helps!!
Old 09-12-2008, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyzziks View Post

That thread is in the Display Calibration forum, since I was hoping to get some experienced folks to comment on my observations. Here's the pointer to that thread. I think there's enough information there for a competent ISF calibrator to see the problem, if it's still there. All they have to do is check the decoding with the Reon on vs off.

Thanks, fyzziks. I knew it was out there somewhere. I just couldn't remember where. Discussion was also scattered throughout the owners and firmware threads as well. Hard to keep track of.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:00 AM
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:

if you watch a non-anamorphic movie (like the American President), you normally will get black bars all around the image when viewed thru a HDMI signal. With the 906, you can select this zoom option and the image fills the screen... in all its glorious edge enhanced grainy image...

and what's the difference between zoom or stretch? doesn't it do the same thing???

There is a big difference. Zoom zoom's in on the image cutting data from the left and right with no distortion.

Strecth stretches the image taller to fill the screen, but there is no loss in data. That would be for use with an anamorphic lens to do a cinemascope setup with a projector.

Look at the picture in the post I am quoting below. It looks like a stretch in the diagram from the onkyo manualm (notice the circles becoming Vertically stretched not "zoomed"?). I have been trying for weeks to confim if this stretches or zooms as I need the stretch for a anamorphic lens I just bought (This would save me buying a scaler!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by W3bbY View Post

Jon S Would you mind doing me a fav and seeing if the "zoom" mode stretches 2:35.1 widescreen to fill the 16:9 display (not a zoom/crop) and not losing any data?.

It sure looks lkie a vertical stretch and not a zoom in the manual on page 111.

I have attached a snapshot from the manual.

Thanks!

Lee

Also look at this link to see what I have been asking!!
http://www.panamorph.com/TrueWidescreenBasics.html
The image in the top right is what I am looking to do.

Thanks.
LL
Old 09-12-2008, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjr View Post

For a more detailed explanation (albeit an early one that was developed later in the owners and firmware threads) search for the thread titled "Reon changing color space." Something about the Reon outputting all signals, HD included, in BT601 encoding instead of outputting HD using BT709 is the technical explanation.

Here are the links to show the ISF tech

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=997130

http://www.***************.com/fusio...hp?tid/141627/

I sent all this info to Steve at Silicon Optix. When I mentioned the 906 to him to see if he was aware of any color space issues with it he didn't have anything to say either way. Since the name Joel Silver popped up in this thread I am going to try and see if there is a way to contact him to see if he can correspond with Onkyo regarding last years units.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:05 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldithomaso View Post

This a bit deceptive. The FIRMWARE IS NOT PUBLICLY available. It likely will never be publicly available. Ala PS3 or Denon units. DON'T BUY the unit if you think it will be easy to fix bugs or upgrade.

I would suggest that any 906 owner - or one considering same - read the very thorough 905 thread (it's worth the time) and the Firmware update thread and get some real insight into the risks of an Onkyo receiver that needs updates that Onkyo does NOT officially provide or support.

What AVR(s) do you recommend instead?
Old 09-12-2008, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strosk View Post

Mine did the same thing until I setup the HDMI Main output properly. Don't leave it on AUTO, go into the video settings and change the Auto setting to whatever your displays actual resolution is (720p, 1080i, 1080p,etc). Once that's done turn the 906 off for a min before restarting and everything "SHOULD" be OK. It worked for me and now it works like a charm and doesnt miss a beat.
BTW: Get your Internet radio hooked up it's fantastic!!

Good luck and hope this helps!!

I just resolve the flickering issue I had. It was the new expensive "HDMI 1.3" cable that I had to have per projector people for $110. My old eBay $80 HDMI cable does not fliker...I also move one of mu subs out of the corner and Audysse is currently re-calculating my new 8 mic positions. After that I'll work on video tweaks...
Old 09-12-2008, 08:06 PM

Quote:

I think you and others who think this way just capitulate. It's individuals like that who will accept less than what was promised AND paid for and don't care. Who accept non-working features becuase everyone else has problems too. Those people make the rest of us who actually care about representations and warranties and promises suffer.

Yep, I was afraid I'd get flamed for my comments. I understand your concern/frustration, but it's just a very minor issue to me. I really only use the Reon for low quality signals, which are fewer and fewer - so any minor color shift is masked by the poor source quality, and is why I dislike viewing any SD material anymore even without the Reon. Using 1080p sources eliminates the issue and in some cases I just go direct to the display.

The only point I wanted to make is this generation of receivers is complex, and it appears all the makers have a number of issue yet to be sorted out, but they are still dramatically better than the last generation, even with a few faults.

As an engineer, I'm rather demanding on getting the entire package that I want. That said, I've yet to encounter any high-tech product or software that doesn't have a bug or two, UI issues, or downright technical flaws. It always comes down to if the value it offers exceed the issues it has and/or if you think they can be fixed. For me the 905 delivers what I need. Others may find some issues to be showstoppers. Fortunately, we have these forums to enlighten us to issues and concerns before getting a new tech product, and often find the solutions as well. I hope you keep the pressure up on Onkyo, but I wouldn't hold my breath over it!
Old 09-12-2008, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity View Post

What AVR(s) do you recommend instead?

Optivity:

Great question. Normally I would have gone with Pioneer - their customer service and support is phenomenal (and I live in CA and can go to Long Beach where their repair center is if need be). Unforunately some of their products leave some key options strangly absent.

If I were buying now I would look at the following:

1) Denon 5308 (can't speak to it's issues though but it's Realta Scaler is superior and does HDMI scaling I believe but is more expensive;
2) Pioneer SC-07 and SC-09 (but the later does NOT SCALE HDMI at all)
and
not much else.

Unfortunately the Yamaha's have reported HDMI truncation issues (they cut BTB and WTW apparently) and I can't speak to Sony's new ES lines (though I have had them in the past (1990's) and they were superb then. I understand the audio end has as of 2000 to now NOT been as superb.

The next step would be Separates - and right now - I don't know if there is anything out that in this near price point anyone could consider. Perhaps Rotel or Emotiva...

Frankly I would wait to see what happens at CES.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I really only use the Reon for low quality signals, which are fewer and fewer - so any minor color shift is masked by the poor source quality, and is why I dislike viewing any SD material anymore even without the Reon. Using 1080p sources eliminates the issue and in some cases I just go direct to the display.

The only point I wanted to make is this generation of receivers is complex, and it appears all the makers have a number of issue yet to be sorted out, but they are still dramatically better than the last generation, even with a few faults.

It always comes down to if the value it offers exceed the issues it has and/or if you think they can be fixed. For me the 905 delivers what I need. Others may find some issues to be showstoppers. Fortunately, we have these forums to enlighten us to issues and concerns before getting a new tech product, and often find the solutions as well. I hope you keep the pressure up on Onkyo, but I wouldn't hold my breath over it!

Well said vcor. I agree that the MAJORITY of HDMI receivers - after how many years it seems - have lots of HDMI issues. Onkyo and Yamaha seem to be the worse offenders. Pioneer chose NOT to touch HDMI at all in their flagship - and now I think I know why.

For you the value in the 905 is in the audio/amp I assume...?

That was my primary consideration with the 8.8 and why I am loathe to replace it but also why I would consider an SC-09 (not a value though) since I know what the majority of value receivers do to HDMI signals. At least Pioneer doesn't pretend to offer a feature they can't make work.

I think the lesson here is that Onkyo is quick to ignore problems, and even quicker to move on to new products and new problems before they try and fix the old.

It truly is a value proposition - that is IF you get what you pay for - for all users. Value is great - put the goods on the sticker and be sure to deliver everything listed. As an engineer I imagine you can confirm only certain companies can get away with not delivering "within spec".

We have to hold Onkyo to their spec or be sure to blow the whistle on them when they can't meet promises. Hear is mine a blowing. 906 buyers beware....

Old 09-12-2008, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horta View Post

I just resolve the flickering issue I had. It was the new expensive "HDMI 1.3" cable that I had to have per projector people for $110. My old eBay $80 HDMI cable does not fliker...I also move one of mu subs out of the corner and Audysse is currently re-calculating my new 8 mic positions. After that I'll work on video tweaks...

Glad everything worked out! FYI, I picked up some very good quality HDMI 1.3 cables on ebay for $5 each ($15.00 for 3 including shipping), I was REALLY surprised they where such good quality when I got them, sometimes you just get lucky. If you want the sellers name just PM me, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post that kind of info on here.

Take care!!
Old 09-13-2008, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strosk View Post

Glad everything worked out! FYI, I picked up some very good quality HDMI 1.3 cables on ebay for $5 each ($15.00 for 3 including shipping), I was REALLY surprised they where such good quality when I got them, sometimes you just get lucky. If you want the sellers name just PM me, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post that kind of info on here.

Take care!!

Folks seem to get to wound up about the "not sure if I can post that here" thing. It is quite simple. Moderators don't want to see stores coming in here and talking price to lure people to come buy from them. If the did not restrict that, this forum, which is supposed to be about information exchange and support would just become an ebay of sorts with nothing but come buy from me. If we all get to the point where we stop sharing information, then what good is the forum.

So, having said that, what HDMI cables do you feel are such good quality for the price? There are lots of HDMI cables out there that do just fine for a few bucks - depending on length, of course.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:27 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Optivity:

Great question. Normally I would have gone with Pioneer - their customer service and support is phenomenal (and I live in CA and can go to Long Beach where their repair center is if need be). Unforunately some of their products leave some key options strangly absent.

If I were buying now I would look at the following:

1) Denon 5308 (can't speak to it's issues though but it's Realta Scaler is superior and does HDMI scaling I believe but is more expensive;
2) Pioneer SC-07 and SC-09 (but the later does NOT SCALE HDMI at all)
and
not much else.

Unfortunately the Yamaha's have reported HDMI truncation issues (they cut BTB and WTW apparently) and I can't speak to Sony's new ES lines (though I have had them in the past (1990's) and they were superb then. I understand the audio end has as of 2000 to now NOT been as superb.

The next step would be Separates - and right now - I don't know if there is anything out that in this near price point anyone could consider. Perhaps Rotel or Emotiva...

Frankly I would wait to see what happens at CES.

Thanks for your response, I'd like to buy an AVR-5308CI but the $5000 price tag is more than I can stomach.

I am interested in the AVR-4308CI w/$100 firmware update, what is your opinion regarding this model?

Component switching, video up scaling features are not really that important to me, I'm primarily in the market for a good quality ~$2000 7.1 channel HDMI receiver.

The SC-09TX looks to be out of my price range too but maybe the SC-07 is a good fit. What is your opinion of the SC-05?

One interesting observation regarding Pioneer's web site is they list the MSRP for their entire line of Elite receivers except the SC-07. I wonder if this is just an oversight or...?
Old 09-13-2008, 06:37 AM

If you're not talking about the 906, please take it elsewhere. The noise ratio in this thread is getting too big. I certainly don't want to listen to anymore b***** about last years models. I want to hear about what's going on with the new model. Don't tell me what's relevant and what's not either, stick to the new stuff or shut the hail up! Don't turn this into a flame war.

Sorry, but I had to do this, if I see the thread bumped, I expected more talk about the 906, not more whining.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:07 AM

Bossplaya, if you don't know what was wrong in the past and if it has been fixed it would be like buying blind folded. Do you want to buy by just reading the specs? Do you believe everything they say?
I guess not, that's why you are here, right?
The 906 is too new to have a lot of input from the owners
Apparently, the issues that need to be fixed are also many for the few owners to cover.
We all have to be a little more patient and we will get what we are here for

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr906