Sony STR-DA5400ES Owner's Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 165 Old 12-22-2008, 10:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Network connectivity and H.A.T.S. Depends on what you want to do, the network connectivity will allow you to access pictures, music, and videos from a connected PC I believe. If you're just interested in music there's a wi-fi unit that plugs into the DMPort that you can add to the 5400 for about $200 I think. I've got one...a word to the wise, this unit (like most wifi music gear) won't let you stream DRM music files. H.A.T.S. is good if you've got a H.A.T.S. enabled SACD player. I think that's for the serious audiophiles, as I haven't heard many folks who are terribly concerned with this feature. Just my two cents.

-IM Fletcher
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 165 Old 12-22-2008, 05:03 PM

Liked: 20
I'm still fighting Zone 2 feature of the 5400ES.

Manual says IR Repeater is needed (not supplied) but no reference to a part# or even if it is a Sony accessory. Are they talking about a generic IR Repeater? If so, some suggestions as to where to find one would be much appreciated.

TIA
post #63 of 165 Old 12-23-2008, 06:33 AM

Just bought a 5400ES in Australia and I too have been spending time trying to set up multiple zones. I've setup zone 2 speakers using the surround back speaker terminals and noticed zone 2 output is limited to analog audio input! I've tried HDMI, optical and coaxial inputs with no luck! Is this a surprise to anyone?
Hwitten - took me a while to work out how to use the main remote to control zone 2 - hence you don't need a IR repeater unless you need to control the receiver dynamically from zone 2.
post #64 of 165 Old 12-24-2008, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGooner View Post

Thank you, made a few settings and i am getting Dolby TURE HD, and DTS-MA from BDP-S550, which is cool. But still LPCM from the PS3, well i can live with that.

Thx
Red

The PS3 doesn't bitstream True HD or DTS MA. The PS3 decodes them internally and sends them as LPCM.

HD DVD: 184
Blu Ray: 148
post #65 of 165 Old 12-25-2008, 07:24 PM

Woulld gui blending work if I used a hdmi to dvi converter since my tv only has a dvi input?Also would you still be able to upscale with this setup?
post #66 of 165 Old 12-26-2008, 07:39 PM

I have a da5400es and a s300 bluray player connected via hdmi but I cannot get
the receiver to decode in dolby true HD or DTS HD. Does anyone have any Ideas?
post #67 of 165 Old 12-27-2008, 07:44 PM

Hello! I am interested in geting some questions answered on the STR-DA5400ES. I have been looking at the Pioneer SC-05 and the 5400, and I think I have decided on the 5400, but have some questions.

1. Is the unit firmware upgradeable? If so, how?
2. Is there any noticeable delay in switching channels? From HD to SD content using a Directv HD-DVR, etc. If so, how long is the delay?
3. Is the GUI available on screen when in 1080p/24 mode?
4. Is there any concern that it is not THX certified?
5. Are there any other concerns when using this with a PS3 (as a Blu-Ray player)?
6. Is the quality of the unit very good?
7. Any advice on where to purchase for a good price while maintaining the manufacturer's warranty?

Also -- I am concerned that there doesn't seem to be that much interest about this model on this forum?

Thanks!!
post #68 of 165 Old 12-29-2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Aquilino View Post

Woulld gui blending work if I used a hdmi to dvi converter since my tv only has a dvi input?Also would you still be able to upscale with this setup?

In theory yes, in practice my experience has been no bueno. I have an early model Samsung upconverting DVD player that has a DVI out (no HDMI). When first setting up my 5400es I tried a DVI to HDMI cable and had issues with the 5400es passing the signal through to the TV. Since then everybody has told me "DVI to HDMI is terrible" although in theory I thought the video signal was 100% convertible. I've found this not to be the case, am interested in hearing if you have better luck. Using component cables for my standard def DVD player and HDMI for the HD-DVD and Blu-Ray.

-IM Fletcher
post #69 of 165 Old 12-29-2008, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbikerider View Post

Here's what I posted earlier in this thread, see if any of this helps:

I've got a Panasonic DMP-BD50 and I'm bitstreaming out via HDMI with no problems (I get TrueHD and DTS-MA when selecting "AFD Auto" on discs that have those formats). If the receiver is set to AFD Auto I'd check two things: 1) Oddly enough, a lot of Blu-Ray movies have the default option set to Dolby Digital and you have to go to the movie's pop-up menu to select True-HD or DTS-MA. So check the menu of the movie you're trying out. 2) You may need to select what you bitstream out of the S550 in the hardware setup menu. I know my Panny has some settings I had to tweak.

Some popular movies don't have True-HD or DTS-MA, their best sound being uncompressed 5.1. I know this is the case with Pirates of the Caribbean and some others. So that will def display LPCM 48kHz on the receiver.

-IM Fletcher
post #70 of 165 Old 12-29-2008, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamyers View Post

Hello! I am interested in geting some questions answered on the STR-DA5400ES. I have been looking at the Pioneer SC-05 and the 5400, and I think I have decided on the 5400, but have some questions.

1. Is the unit firmware upgradeable? If so, how?
2. Is there any noticeable delay in switching channels? From HD to SD content using a Directv HD-DVR, etc. If so, how long is the delay?
3. Is the GUI available on screen when in 1080p/24 mode?
4. Is there any concern that it is not THX certified?
5. Are there any other concerns when using this with a PS3 (as a Blu-Ray player)?
6. Is the quality of the unit very good?
7. Any advice on where to purchase for a good price while maintaining the manufacturer's warranty?

Also -- I am concerned that there doesn't seem to be that much interest about this model on this forum?

Thanks!!

My two cents:
1. Not sure, it doesn't have an ethernet port but does have an RS-232C port.
2. Yes, there's a pretty noticeable delay in switching sources. As much as 5 to 10 seconds.
3. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the receiver itself isn't 1080p/24 or 1080p/60 selectable. The source coming through is, but the receiver can handle either...I don't have a 24fps capable TV, but it ought to work.
4. Totally personal preference. I was looking at this, an Onkyo, and a Denon unit. Reading through their owner's manuals, I decided I did NOT want THX certification (which I thought I did for MANY years). It's my belief that pure THX modes cancel out any bass/treble adjustments you may make (like listening to 2ch analog direct modes on most receivers). I like a little extra bass and treble, and I realized I wanted the DTS-MA and True HD and didn't need THX "timbre matching", etc...but again that's my preference, yours may vary.
5. Nope except see the comment above...it doesn't bitstream out, it decodes the sound formats internally so all your receiver will display is the Linear PCM throughput (It won't say True HD or DTS-MA).
6. So far as I can tell it's fantastic.
7. Crutchfield sometimes has good prices when things are on sale, Fry's or J&R are usually good bets as well, although there are some folks who offer cheaper online (not sure about the warranty elsewhere though).

Not to start a war (again, just my opinion), but a lot of folks on this forum seem to be Denon- and Onkyo-philes. Which is good stuff...I think the big thing with the 5400es is that it offers HD video in a second room. To get this bit of coolness, you have to pay extra for what some other manufacturers are offering at this price point (mainly network connectivity/wifi, some offer HD radio). You can get at least some of these with a DMPort from Sony. Or do what I did and buy an Airlink wireless music bridge and stream ANY computer app's audio (doesn't care about DRM). I've seen these for as cheap as $40, but there's no display to see what you're doing if the computer is in a different room.

-IM Fletcher
post #71 of 165 Old 12-29-2008, 07:43 PM

Liked: 20
Splurged and bought a 52in Sony from Costco and spent the weekend cleaning up the corner where my Wega has lived for 5+ years.

Slap me on the wrist for not reading all the fine print in the manual regarding Zone 2. I finally did read the fine print after I switched everything to HDMI and had no video anymore in Zone 2.

Seems that no digital input is output to Zone 2 at all. Only analog inputs are available for Zone 2. As I specifically asked the question to confirm zone 2 will get whatever the master gets I'm hoping that the Store will be receptive to a return, in which case the Costco Sony TV will get upgraded to the XBR6.

I trusted the salesman but have no-one to blame but myself, especially since a link to manuals was provided at the top of this thread. A/V lessons sure are expensive

The afterthought: As I said before, no-one to blame but myself if I end up with an Amp not doing the desired job. This post is strictly meant as a heads-up for someone else that may have the Zone 2 feature as a priority. Please read the manual, including the fine print notations.

Thanks all for the information provided here, just wish I would have used the information for efficiently as it would have saved a few hours (days) of frustration . I returned my 5400ES today because of analog only being available for Zone 2. My quest for a Zone 2 setup that echos the capabilities of the Main Zone continues. Thanks again, and Bye. Off to other areas of the forum
post #72 of 165 Old 01-10-2009, 02:58 PM

I need help!! I have a new STR-DA5400ES that I just hooked up. I really like it so far, but have a problem that is not only vexing-it annoys the daylights out of me.

I keep getting "PROTECT" errors when the volume seems to go above a certain level. This happens when you watch TV or DVD both. It even happens when I try to do the automatic calibration. Then it will not even get past the front speakers before it goes into "PROTECT" and shuts down.

I've disconnected the speakers, hooked them up one at a time, turned off the unit, and done everything I can think of. I've called Sony support-their idea was turning off and completely disconnection all wiring.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what to check next? Any and all serious suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance.
post #73 of 165 Old 01-10-2009, 02:59 PM

Hi, is it possible to configure an input to use HDMI for the picture and multi-channel analog for audio, to use the DACs in the Blu-ray player?

Sincerely,

Michael
post #74 of 165 Old 01-11-2009, 01:43 AM

I have also had no luck in output to zone 2 and 3 via RCA.

Any info in the IR repeater or how to bypass this requirement would be appreciated.

Is this possibly a major firmware bug?
post #75 of 165 Old 01-12-2009, 10:32 AM

I used to have an STR-997 and there were a few times it went into PROTECT mode and I could never figure out why. Sony recommended I double-check the polarity on my speaker wires, but I was never able to solve the issue. Luckily it only popped up a few times, I'd recommend you keep hitting up Sony as the product has a 5 year warranty. They ought to fix it or replace it for you.

-IM Fletcher
post #76 of 165 Old 01-12-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelFrandsen View Post

Hi, is it possible to configure an input to use HDMI for the picture and multi-channel analog for audio, to use the DACs in the Blu-ray player?

Sincerely,

Michael

Should be relatively easy, as you can assign a video and an audio source to an input (and then rename it). I have one input set up to play audio from my cable DVR (there's a music channel I really like on there) and the video from my Blu-Ray player. This way when I have guests over I can play good music and run Planet Earth on the TV to have something cool to show.

-IM Fletcher
post #77 of 165 Old 01-14-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MY123JU123 View Post

I need help!! I have a new STR-DA5400ES that I just hooked up. I really like it so far, but have a problem that is not only vexing-it annoys the daylights out of me.

I keep getting "PROTECT" errors when the volume seems to go above a certain level. This happens when you watch TV or DVD both. It even happens when I try to do the automatic calibration. Then it will not even get past the front speakers before it goes into "PROTECT" and shuts down.

I've disconnected the speakers, hooked them up one at a time, turned off the unit, and done everything I can think of. I've called Sony support-their idea was turning off and completely disconnection all wiring.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what to check next? Any and all serious suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

Bought DA5400 ES over the Holidays. Just started to set it up when I also ran in to the protect error message. Called Sony, they said disconnect power supply for 2 hours and then hook up the power supply again. It seemed to clear up the problem until I attached HDMI cable from Direct TV HD20 Sat. box, that tripped it to the protect error message again. Sony manual states that irregular current will produce protect message. The interesting part of the problem was that no speakers were attached to the 5400 ES (ever). I was running sound through an older Sony 3AES, until the KEF 3005 speakers showed up. When Sony heard that no speakers had been attached the the 5400 ES they said send it to us. Waiting to hear from them (Sony on what is going on)
Hook up:
post #78 of 165 Old 01-28-2009, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm having a little trouble finding differences between the 5400 and the 4400 other than the second HDMI output, which I don't have much use for. What made you guys get the 5400 over the 4400?
post #79 of 165 Old 01-30-2009, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

No recommendations about why to get the 5400 over the 4400 before I pull the trigger on the 4400? I've read the differences on paper, and I'm not convinced the other features are worth the bump in price, given the other similarities between the two. Any thoughts?
post #80 of 165 Old 01-31-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbikerider View Post

I could be wrong on this but I don't think the BDP-S300 has an HDMI 1.3 out so it cannot bitstream DTS HD MA or Dolby True HD soundtracks to the receiver. I would normally recommend in this case that you just have the player do the decoding but it seems the S300 isn't capable of decoding of those formats either. My guess is your only real option is to use the analog audio outs and have the receiver do the decoding that way.
post #81 of 165 Old 02-02-2009, 12:20 PM

I think there is also a second Digital Media Port (DMP). The 4400 video in the second room is via component while the 5400 does 1080i via an ethernet cable. Off the top of my head those are the main differences, haven't looked in a few months.

-IM Fletcher
post #82 of 165 Old 02-06-2009, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Can someone PM me some places where I can get a deal on 5400, I have a friend who is a Sony fan, and would like a deal on one of these.

Thanks

Djoel
post #83 of 165 Old 02-17-2009, 11:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 11
HDMI + S/PDIF question:
Can a HDMI/DVI source which don't has audio signal content connected to Sony 5400's HDMI-input for video and S/PDIF-input (Optical Cable) for Audio?

If yes, How to set?

Thanks
post #84 of 165 Old 02-19-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwanrs View Post

HDMI + S/PDIF question:
Can a HDMI/DVI source which don't has audio signal content connected to Sony 5400's HDMI-input for video and S/PDIF-input (Optical Cable) for Audio?

If yes, How to set?

Thanks

Yes, you just use the GUI menu and assign the video and audio signal. For example, on my HD DVR cable box (which supports HDMI video but needs SPDIF for 5.1 surround sound) I have it connected to HDMI 3. On the gui I went in to the menu and assigned the SPDIF input I used (I forget which one) to that same input (HDMI 3) and then gave it a custom name ("HD DVR"). Once you get used to the GUI menu it gets more familiar.

-IM Fletcher
post #85 of 165 Old 02-20-2009, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks Fletcher.

One more question:
I have 2 subwoovers, SVS and ED-Design.
How can I connect both Subs to Sony 5400, as it has only one Sub-Output?
post #86 of 165 Old 02-23-2009, 08:01 AM

As I understand it, can't you run the second zone component and display a second video source seperate from zone 1?
post #87 of 165 Old 02-23-2009, 09:17 AM

I'm using a spliiter (Y cord) to feed signal to a second sub
post #88 of 165 Old 02-23-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwanrs View Post

Thanks Fletcher.

One more question:
I have 2 subwoovers, SVS and ED-Design.
How can I connect both Subs to Sony 5400, as it has only one Sub-Output?

I think jmeme (above) is correct. The receiver doesn't appear to be designed for a dual sub setup but I think a splitter would do the trick. Since it's the "0.1" channel that isn't full bandwidth, I can't imagine (if you used good cables) that there'd be any degredation of signal quality. I'd try it and see what you think. I'm not sure how the DCAC would handle it...I assume it would "think" it was hearing the same sub bouncing off multiple surfaces (walls, floors, etc) and attempt to adjust accordingly for the correct level at the listening position. If you try it, please let us know how it works out.

jmeme - how is your setup, are you happy with having dual subs off of a splitter?

-IM Fletcher
post #89 of 165 Old 02-23-2009, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmeme View Post

I'm using a spliiter (Y cord) to feed signal to a second sub

I have a dual voice coil sub that uses a separate input for each coil. I'm using a high quality splitter and it sounds just as good as my last receiver which had two sub outputs.
post #90 of 165 Old 02-24-2009, 11:13 AM

Is anyone running their Zone 2 video through the Cat5e port? I am about to take the plunge on the 5400es after finally comforting myself that I understand all of the HDMI limitations, however, just want to understand a couple things that no one at Sony Style here in Manhattan can seem to answer for me. (Why is it they they do not have an actually HT setup in their "showroom?"...absurd...)

1) Is anyone running the Cat5e to Zone 2? How are you getting your audio? It is my understanding that there is no digital audio to Zone 2, so you cannot use Optical or Coaxial. So RCA is the only option?
2) If HDMI does not "downconvert" to Component, does that mean that if all sources are connected through HDMI (DVD/CD, Xbox, DVR), they are essentially useless in Zone 2 unless they are also connected with an Analog input?

Any other thoughts on the userfriendliness and functionality of Zone 2 Video and Audio?

Much appreciated as I can get a Yamaha RX-V3800 for $950 and I'm willing to forgo Zone 2 Video if it's as potentially prohibitive as it sounds it could be...
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page