Sony STR-DA5400ES Owner's Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 160 Old 02-24-2009, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
jmeme - how is your setup, are you happy with having dual subs off of a splitter?

-IM Fletcher[/quote]

My room is 13x27 I have a sub in the rear and one up front. I had the subs hooked up to a 3000es I just picked up a 6400es, I have not tweaked, and the sound is amazing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 160 Old 02-24-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmeme View Post

My room is 13x27 I have a sub in the rear and one up front. I had the subs hooked up to a 3000es I just picked up a 6400es, I have not tweaked, and the sound is amazing.

Sounds great! Makes me wish I had a bigger room .

-IM Fletcher
post #93 of 160 Old 02-24-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfost24 View Post

Is anyone running their Zone 2 video through the Cat5e port? I am about to take the plunge on the 5400es after finally comforting myself that I understand all of the HDMI limitations, however, just want to understand a couple things that no one at Sony Style here in Manhattan can seem to answer for me. (Why is it they they do not have an actually HT setup in their "showroom?"...absurd...)

1) Is anyone running the Cat5e to Zone 2? How are you getting your audio? It is my understanding that there is no digital audio to Zone 2, so you cannot use Optical or Coaxial. So RCA is the only option?
2) If HDMI does not "downconvert" to Component, does that mean that if all sources are connected through HDMI (DVD/CD, Xbox, DVR), they are essentially useless in Zone 2 unless they are also connected with an Analog input?

Any other thoughts on the userfriendliness and functionality of Zone 2 Video and Audio?

Much appreciated as I can get a Yamaha RX-V3800 for $950 and I'm willing to forgo Zone 2 Video if it's as potentially prohibitive as it sounds it could be...

I'm not running a Zone 2 setup at the moment but I've done some poking around. I'm curious to see an answer to your questions...but I think you're exactly correct. RCA appears to be your only audio option and you'd have to watch a source that's component in - video/RCA in - audio for the best quality...again I THINK. Because I don't see in the manual where it specifies whether or not an HDMI input can be output through the RJ45 jack, but you have to use the Component Video Balun converter for component video on the far end. Can a CAV-CVB1 convert the signal that way? The only benefit I see is if my house is already wired for CAT-5, otherwise I could just run a long Component cable out of the other Zone 2 output (albeit 3 thicker cables vs. 1).

I was hoping to add some value to this discussion and I apologize if I just muddied the waters...I'll shut up now in hopes someone else can shed some better light on your questions.

-IM Fletcher
post #94 of 160 Old 02-24-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM Fletcher View Post

I'm not running a Zone 2 setup at the moment but I've done some poking around. I'm curious to see an answer to your questions...but I think you're exactly correct. RCA appears to be your only audio option and you'd have to watch a source that's component in - video/RCA in - audio for the best quality...again I THINK. Because I don't see in the manual where it specifies whether or not an HDMI input can be output through the RJ45 jack, but you have to use the Component Video Balun converter for component video on the far end. Can a CAV-CVB1 convert the signal that way? The only benefit I see is if my house is already wired for CAT-5, otherwise I could just run a long Component cable out of the other Zone 2 output (albeit 3 thicker cables vs. 1).

I was hoping to add some value to this discussion and I apologize if I just muddied the waters...I'll shut up now in hopes someone else can shed some better light on your questions.

-IM Fletcher

I think you're right and the point about running a long component cable opposed to the Cat5 plus the Balun converter makes sense. It seems this is simply an introduction to a technology where a Cat5 will eventually be used to transmit full HD and digital audio, but it's just not there yet. Pioneering new territory for Sony, but functionally it doesn't do much if straight component is an option. Great idea, poor execution. This seems to be the case for just about every Zone 2/3 receiver in this price range, with either no ability to stream HD video and/or no ability to stream digital audio. Disappointing middleground in receiver technology right now, the benefit of single cable HDMI is completely negated once you actually want to utilize the extra features that you are paying big bucks for. Argh....
post #95 of 160 Old 02-24-2009, 05:54 PM

This is how I am doing it, I am using two input types component with optical and HDMI inputs, from the following equipments a Bluray Player, Cable Box, and a PS3. Since I cannot feed HDMI to the second room, I am using all component cable feeds but if I need to use HDMI, I can switch the input type to HDMI. As for the second room, I am using second room component out and MD OUT, I send the MD OUT to a Zector hds4.2 or you can use this; I am using the zector because I am splitting the signal to two rooms 200 feet away using these.
post #96 of 160 Old 02-25-2009, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmeme View Post

This is how I am doing it, I am using two input types component with optical and HDMI inputs, from the following equipments a Bluray Player, Cable Box, and a PS3. Since I cannot feed HDMI to the second room, I am using all component cable feeds but if I need to use HDMI, I can switch the input type to HDMI. As for the second room, I am using second room component out and MD OUT, I send the MD OUT to a Zector hds4.2 or you can use ; I am using the zector because I am splitting the signal to two rooms 200 feet away using .

Thanks jmeme, this seems to be the best method. Are you able to to assign the MD OUT to Zone 2? It was my understanding that Zone 2 does not support digital audio at all, just analog?
post #97 of 160 Old 02-26-2009, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfost24 View Post

Thanks jmeme, this seems to be the best method. Are you able to to assign the MD OUT to Zone 2? It was my understanding that Zone 2 does not support digital audio at all, just analog?

Darn, I cannot assign MD OUT, the only way I'm able to send second room audio is by changing the audio feed going to the Zector or use the whole house system. My setup is a little different I have a Sony NHS 3020 which distributes audio and video to 13 zones although I’m only using 8; Three of which are HD (media room, loft and family room). It makes it a lot easier for me to reconfigure.
post #98 of 160 Old 03-22-2009, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Hi,

I just bought 6400ES for my dedicated HT room I'm building in the basement and wanted to wireup 2nd zone HD video for my 70XBR2 in the opposite corner of the basement about 50' away before I finish the basement.

I was thinking of using 2nd HDMI output but I read that HDMI output works one at a time on 5400ES. Is that true for 6400ES as well? If so I'm assuming I could just split the 1st HDMI out and send the signals if I want to view the same shows on more than one display.

What about the Cat5e option? It sound like this sends the video over Cat5e and you use component cable to hook it to the TV. Do I need to run separate sound wires? Does this option allow me to view two separate source at the same time? Does this option require that I have second A/V receiver? Would I get 5.1 sound?

Also looking at the A/B speaker option it looks like there are two speaker binding posts (L & R) for B. I'm planning to put ceiling speakers for audio throughout the basement. Does this mean I'm limited to 2 speakers? Could I hookup more than 1 ceiling speaker to each binding post?

Anyone else come up with any clever ways to share source connected to DA5400ES/DA6400ES with more than one display?

Thanks.
post #99 of 160 Old 03-22-2009, 07:05 PM

SonyHome,

I cannot comment specifically about the 6400ES, but I believe it is the same as the 5400ES (except for ethernet connection), which I have had much experience with recently.

I installed the 5400ES with the 5000ES Blu-ray player. My senior citizen friend is very happy.

Firstly, Zone 2 does not support digital signals of any kind. None. This includes 5.1/7.1 surround sound. There is no way around this. You can still get HD video, however. The source signal must be analog, so any equipment hooked up via HDMI only cannot be viewed in Zone 2. This equipment must be hooked with analog cabling in addition to the HDMI to view them in Zone 2, and effectively the source input selection on the receiver is different. That is, the digital signal will be HDMI 1, for example, and the analog signal would be on Video 1. In this instance, Zone 2 would use Video 1 source and the Main Zone would use HDMI 1 source.

I used Component RGB output to Zone 2 through baluns for HD video. With Zone 2 you can watch a different source to the Main Zone. I had to output the Blu-ray through HDMI and Component RGB. This setup is not ideal with the 5000ES Blu-ray player because it requires a change to the system setup on the Blu-ray player to switch between HDMI and Component RGB output. The difference is 1080i versus 1080p. The HDMI will output 1080p but the Component will only output 1080i.

As for the component baluns connecting to Zone 2, I didn't have total success. Even over small distances using cat5e cabling, there was some darkening of the image. Interestingly, the image looked clear, but I couldn't overcome the darkening with brightness and contrast adjustments on the television. It is not awful, but it is noticeable. The baluns I used were passive, so perhaps there may be some advantage to powered amplified signal extenders, but I have not had any experience with these myself. In the end I used cat6 cabling which extended over 100 feet, but this did not help with the darkening of the image.

The other thing I noted about the component baluns is that text (such as credits) had a kind of 'motion blur'. Like wet ink being smudged with a finger. The effect was directly horizontal. You couldn't seem to notice this in general images, but it became apparent whenever the Foxtel (HD cable) interface was shown, or the credits rolled at the end of a DVD.

Also, component baluns are designed to carry digital sound which, as noted, cannot be carried through to Zone 2. If you want to do component video plus stereo audio, you will actually need 2 balun connections at each end for Zone 2: one for component video and another for stereo audio. Or, of course, just split a mono signal. Cat5 has 4 lots of twisted pairs, and each pair carries a signal. For component plus stereo you need 5 signals and, as such, more than one set of baluns.

In the installation I did, I ended up resorting to composite connections over component baluns since the Zone 2 was just a small television in the kitchen. All of this experience did point out the issue of HD video and digital audio in Zone 2 using the 5400ES. From my research on other receivers, it appeared that many other brands had the same issue. My friend was very keen on Sony equipment, however, so I did not do the most exhaustive research.

As you noted, you can switch the main display HDMI output. You cannot have both of these running at the same time. Also, it is worth noting a minor, but important, detail regarding this second HDMI output. If you are going to use it as a connection to a second viewing area, then you will need a second receiver. There is a setting for sound output which is 'AMP' or 'TV+AMP'. If you use 'AMP', you will not get any sound through the second HDMI output. If you use 'TV+AMP', the decoding performed by the television connected to the second HDMI output will be used. In many cases the television will only decode a stereo signal. This means, when you flick back to the first HDMI output, instead of getting all that lovely sound decoding on the 5400ES receiver, it will downmix to stereo; no surround sound in your main viewing area. Of course, you could switch the setting back and forth when you switch the HDMI output, but this could get boring very quickly. From all my attempts to use the second HDMI output as a replacement for Zone 2, there were too many restrictions or expenses to make it work.

I also looked at HDMI signal splitters as a solution for doing Zone 2. The one thing I noted which turned me away is that the first (master) output on the splitter is used to negotiate HDCP and (in some cases) resolution. This means that the main television would have to be on and able to make that negotiation for the other HDMI connections on the splitter to work. You may be able to find a HDMI splitter that works differently; all the ones I researched, including the Gefen, had this limitation.

I also looked at HDMI switchers, briefly, but they are kind of expensive and it was hard to work out how to connect it all with the 5400ES receiver. My friend thought this was a waste since he had signal switching built-in to the receiver. He is not technically minded, so it was hard to explain. I also needed to keep the setup reasonably simple. More to the point, I had no real need for surround sound in Zone 2.

One thing I never determined was whether you could attach more than one speaker to the binding posts on the 5400ES. There is a Zone 3 on the receiver which outputs stereo audio only, and you need a separate power amp, but you can use Speakers A+B together and Zone 3 can be set to 'source', which outputs the same audio as the A+B speakers. I know you can get speaker switching equipment which you can attach several speakers sets and allows you to turn on/off different speakers. Some can even be hooked up to RF remote controls or to hard-wired controls such as volume control knobs. Also note that on the 5400ES there are speaker bindings for Zone 2 but I believe these are also used in the 7.1 surround setup. I'll have to check that detail.

In the end I couldn't find a way to have more than 1 HD video/audio output successfully using the 5400ES. In this installation, I didn't really need it, although I did go through lots of research to investigate the possibility.

Perhaps somebody can offer some advice on using HDMI switchers and repeaters with multiple receivers?

The Sony 5400ES is a great piece of kit if your secondary output is just a television and you have no need for digital audio. It appears to be designed for this purpose. In this instance it may take some insight into which balun\\extender to use to ensure the video signal does not degrade too much, as it did with the passive baluns I used. I also did not try Cat6a or Cat5e Shielded Twisted Pair (STP) cabling, so I'm not sure if that will help. I also did not try long component cable runs, but these appear to be possible. I used very small lengths of Cat5e cabling to test, and it did not matter about the length of the cable; the result was always the same.

One thing I do really like about the 5400ES is the Faroudja upscaling engine. This works with analog signals passed through to the main HDMI output as well as Zone 2 component output. The upscaling is lovely on a LCD display, such as the 52" Bravia my friend was using. I tried 'Fargo' and from the right distance it tricked my friend into thinking he was watching a Blu-ray disc! Although, it becomes very obvious when you put in a real BD that there is a difference, but the result is impressive nonetheless. A lot of DVD machines have HDMI output now and do their own upscaling. I actually avoided this deliberately and used component output without any upscaling by the DVD, just so the 5400ES receiver would be doing the upscaling, and the result was fantastic.

I hope some of this helps, SonyHome, and I'm happy to answer any more specific questions you may have. This is all very fresh in my mind right now.
post #100 of 160 Old 03-22-2009, 07:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Paterson View Post

SonyHome,

I cannot comment specifically about the 6400ES, but I believe it is the same as the 5400ES (except for ethernet connection), which I have had much experience with recently.

I installed the 5400ES with the 5000ES Blu-ray player. My senior citizen friend is very happy.

Firstly, Zone 2 does not support digital signals of any kind. None. This includes 5.1/7.1 surround sound. There is no way around this. You can still get HD video, however. The source signal must be analog, so any equipment hooked up via HDMI only cannot be viewed in Zone 2. This equipment must be hooked with analog cabling in addition to the HDMI to view them in Zone 2, and effectively the source input selection on the receiver is different. That is, the digital signal will be HDMI 1, for example, and the analog signal would be on Video 1. In this instance, Zone 2 would use Video 1 source and the Main Zone would use HDMI 1 source.

I used Component RGB output to Zone 2 through baluns for HD video. With Zone 2 you can watch a different source to the Main Zone. I had to output the Blu-ray through HDMI and Component RGB. This setup is not ideal with the 5000ES Blu-ray player because it requires a change to the system setup on the Blu-ray player to switch between HDMI and Component RGB output. The difference is 1080i versus 1080p. The HDMI will output 1080p but the Component will only output 1080i.

As for the component baluns connecting to Zone 2, I didn't have total success. Even over small distances using cat5e cabling, there was some darkening of the image. Interestingly, the image looked clear, but I couldn't overcome the darkening with brightness and contrast adjustments on the television. It is not awful, but it is noticeable. The baluns I used were passive, so perhaps there may be some advantage to powered amplified signal extenders, but I have not had any experience with these myself. In the end I used cat6 cabling which extended over 100 feet, but this did not help with the darkening of the image.

The other thing I noted about the component baluns is that text (such as credits) had a kind of 'motion blur'. Like wet ink being smudged with a finger. The effect was directly horizontal. You couldn't seem to notice this in general images, but it became apparent whenever the Foxtel (HD cable) interface was shown, or the credits rolled at the end of a DVD.

Also, component baluns are designed to carry digital sound which, as noted, cannot be carried through to Zone 2. If you want to do component video plus stereo audio, you will actually need 2 balun connections at each end for Zone 2: one for component video and another for stereo audio. Or, of course, just split a mono signal. Cat5 has 4 lots of twisted pairs, and each pair carries a signal. For component plus stereo you need 5 signals and, as such, more than one set of baluns.

In the installation I did, I ended up resorting to composite connections over component baluns since the Zone 2 was just a small television in the kitchen. All of this experience did point out the issue of HD video and digital audio in Zone 2 using the 5400ES. From my research on other receivers, it appeared that many other brands had the same issue. My friend was very keen on Sony equipment, however, so I did not do the most exhaustive research.

As you noted, you can switch the main display HDMI output. You cannot have both of these running at the same time. Also, it is worth noting a minor, but important, detail regarding this second HDMI output. If you are going to use it as a connection to a second viewing area, then you will need a second receiver. There is a setting for sound output which is 'AMP' or 'TV+AMP'. If you use 'AMP', you will not get any sound through the second HDMI output. If you use 'TV+AMP', the decoding performed by the television connected to the second HDMI output will be used. In many cases the television will only decode a stereo signal. This means, when you flick back to the first HDMI output, instead of getting all that lovely sound decoding on the 5400ES receiver, it will downmix to stereo; no surround sound in your main viewing area. Of course, you could switch the setting back and forth when you switch the HDMI output, but this could get boring very quickly. From all my attempts to use the second HDMI output as a replacement for Zone 2, there were too many restrictions or expenses to make it work.

I also looked at HDMI signal splitters as a solution for doing Zone 2. The one thing I noted which turned me away is that the first (master) output on the splitter is used to negotiate HDCP and (in some cases) resolution. This means that the main television would have to be on and able to make that negotiation for the other HDMI connections on the splitter to work. You may be able to find a HDMI splitter that works differently; all the ones I researched, including the Gefen, had this limitation.

I also looked at HDMI switchers, briefly, but they are kind of expensive and it was hard to work out how to connect it all with the 5400ES receiver. My friend thought this was a waste since he had signal switching built-in to the receiver. He is not technically minded, so it was hard to explain. I also needed to keep the setup reasonably simple. More to the point, I had no real need for surround sound in Zone 2.

One thing I never determined was whether you could attach more than one speaker to the binding posts on the 5400ES. There is a Zone 3 on the receiver which outputs stereo audio only, and you need a separate power amp, but you can use Speakers A+B together and Zone 3 can be set to 'source', which outputs the same audio as the A+B speakers. I know you can get speaker switching equipment which you can attach several speakers sets and allows you to turn on/off different speakers. Some can even be hooked up to RF remote controls or to hard-wired controls such as volume control knobs. Also note that on the 5400ES there are speaker bindings for Zone 2 but I believe these are also used in the 7.1 surround setup. I'll have to check that detail.

In the end I couldn't find a way to have more than 1 HD video/audio output successfully using the 5400ES. In this installation, I didn't really need it, although I did go through lots of research to investigate the possibility.

Perhaps somebody can offer some advice on using HDMI switchers and repeaters with multiple receivers?

The Sony 5400ES is a great piece of kit if your secondary output is just a television and you have no need for digital audio. It appears to be designed for this purpose. In this instance it may take some insight into which balun\\extender to use to ensure the video signal does not degrade too much, as it did with the passive baluns I used. I also did not try Cat6a or Cat5e Shielded Twisted Pair (STP) cabling, so I'm not sure if that will help. I also did not try long component cable runs, but these appear to be possible. I used very small lengths of Cat5e cabling to test, and it did not matter about the length of the cable; the result was always the same.

One thing I do really like about the 5400ES is the Faroudja upscaling engine. This works with analog signals passed through to the main HDMI output as well as Zone 2 component output. The upscaling is lovely on a LCD display, such as the 52" Bravia my friend was using. I tried 'Fargo' and from the right distance it tricked my friend into thinking he was watching a Blu-ray disc! Although, it becomes very obvious when you put in a real BD that there is a difference, but the result is impressive nonetheless. A lot of DVD machines have HDMI output now and do their own upscaling. I actually avoided this deliberately and used component output without any upscaling by the DVD, just so the 5400ES receiver would be doing the upscaling, and the result was fantastic.

I hope some of this helps, SonyHome, and I'm happy to answer any more specific questions you may have. This is all very fresh in my mind right now.

Hi Simon,
Wow. You must spent a lot of time and effort on this research. Man I could use a friend like you. I have whole basement to wire up!

It sounds like my idea about being able to distribute HD via da6400es may not work or at least work like I had hoped.

There maybe one more possibility for me. Do you think this will work?

1. Place all input components (PS3, DVD & Dish VIP722 DVR) in a central location in basement.
2. Connect each component output to it's own HDMI 1x2 splitter.
3. Connect each output from 1x2 splitter to separate 4x1 HDMI switch.
4. Connect output from switch 1 to Zone1 receiver (via 25' HDMI) and switch 2 to zone 2 receiver (via 25' HDMI).

So example above would require 3 splitters (@ $65 ea.) and 2 switches (@ $30 ea.). One of the switch could be eliminated if I connect one set of the outputs from the splitters on step 3 to DA6400ES directly.

I wonder if this will work?
post #101 of 160 Old 03-22-2009, 08:48 PM

Hi SonyHome,

I admit that I've spent lots of time on this lately.

Looking at your idea: you cannot output the HDMI input from the switches to Zone 2 on the receiver. Zone 2 will not output HDMI signals input into the receiver.

Do you have 2 places that need surround sound? If so, you will not be able to use the Sony 5400ES to drive both zones. The only way to do surround sound in 2 locations will be to use 2 receivers. In this instance, the 5400ES may be overkill. Perhaps 2 x 4400 or 2 x 3400 would do the job? The output from the splitter/switches could then go into each receiver?

I'm probably not understanding your situation very well, and for that I apologise. I am very keen to help, however, as it would give some purpose to all the time I've spent on this.

Perhaps you can contact me directly via email on bhsimon at gmail dot com? We can correspond more fluidly.
post #102 of 160 Old 03-22-2009, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Paterson View Post

Hi SonyHome,

I admit that I've spent lots of time on this lately.

Looking at your idea: you cannot output the HDMI input from the switches to Zone 2 on the receiver. Zone 2 will not output HDMI signals input into the receiver.

Do you have 2 places that need surround sound? If so, you will not be able to use the Sony 5400ES to drive both zones. The only way to do surround sound in 2 locations will be to use 2 receivers. In this instance, the 5400ES may be overkill. Perhaps 2 x 4400 or 2 x 3400 would do the job? The output from the splitter/switches could then go into each receiver?

I'm probably not understanding your situation very well, and for that I apologise. I am very keen to help, however, as it would give some purpose to all the time I've spent on this.

Perhaps you can contact me directly via email on bhsimon at gmail dot com? We can correspond more fluidly.

Simon,

I was using two separate receiver to get HD and surround sound to 2nd TV in my example above. Currently I have DA6400ES and DA50ES but later one does not have HDMI inputs. I may need to pick one more receiver for zone 2 and use DA50ES for zone 3.

If I decide to use the zone 2 component output are there any limitation to how long component cable can be effective? Could I go 50-60' with them directly to my TV? Then for sound do I just run the rca to TV?

Thanks.
post #103 of 160 Old 03-23-2009, 10:03 AM

Hey Everyone,

I have been researching ht receivers for about a year now and finally had it narrowed down to the 5400es/6400es. I then saw this March, 2009 review on hometheatermag.com and was quite surprised by their power measurements for the 5400es. Sony quotes 120W/channel but htm.com measured about 40W/channel in 5.1 config - results below. I'm assuming the 6400es might be a bit higher - but would it be significantly higher (and for $2.5K)?.

This would be fine (I guess) if all the other $2K receivers had the same power but Denon and Onkyo both (even lower in price) measured (at htm.com in the same setup, presumably) 100+ W/channel or higher.

- Onkyo 806 in 5.1: 0.1% distortion at 107.2 watts
- Denon 3808 in 5.1: 0.1 percent distortion at 118.9 watts

So... am I missing something here or does the 5400es really have less than half the power of the 806 or 3808? I wonder what htm.com would measure an onkyo 906 or denon 4308 at?

Obviously there are features of the 5400es that are nice... but the power seems pretty low.

Thanks.
John.

Overall 5400es March review:
hometheatermagDOTcom/receivers/sony_str-da5400es_av_receiver/

Power measurements:
hometheatermagDOTcom/receivers/sony_str-da5400es_av_receiver/index3DOThtml

HT Labs Measures
Five channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 39.4 watts
1% distortion at 45.0 watts

Seven channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 37.3 watts
1% distortion at 41.9 watts
post #104 of 160 Old 03-23-2009, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbertcox View Post

Hey Everyone,

I have been researching ht receivers for about a year now and finally had it narrowed down to the 5400es/6400es. I then saw this March, 2009 review on hometheatermag.com and was quite surprised by their power measurements for the 5400es. Sony quotes 120W/channel but htm.com measured about 40W/channel in 5.1 config - results below. I'm assuming the 6400es might be a bit higher - but would it be significantly higher (and for $2.5K)?.

This would be fine (I guess) if all the other $2K receivers had the same power but Denon and Onkyo both (even lower in price) measured (at htm.com in the same setup, presumably) 100+ W/channel or higher.

So... am I missing something here or does the 5400es really have less than half the power of the 806 or 3808? I wonder what htm.com would measure an onkyo 906 or denon 4308 at?

Obviously there are features of the 5400es that are nice... but the power seems pretty low.

Thanks.
John.

Power measurements:

HT Labs Measures

My DA6400ES came with 140 watts per channel label on the front of the unit.
post #105 of 160 Old 03-23-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbertcox View Post

Hey Everyone,

Thanks.
John.

Power measurements:

HT Labs Measures

I'm beginning to think that those htm.com numbers for the 5400es must be wrong. I just can't believe that the Sony is that much lower. If anyone has some other power results for the 5400es or 6400es please post them. Thanks, John.

I found some other results for similar (price range) receivers at:

wwwDOTsoundandvisionmagDOTcom/receivers/3102/yamaha-rx-v3900-av-receiver-test-bench-page3DOThtml

Yamaha 3900: Output at clipping (1 kHz into 8/4 ohms), 5 channels driven (8 ohms): 100 W (20 dBW)

and

wwwDOTsoundandvisionmagDOTcom/receivers/3042/pioneer-elite-sc-07-av-receiver-test-bench-page3DOThtml

Pioneer SC-07: 5 channels driven (8 ohms): 138 W (21.4 dBW)
post #106 of 160 Old 03-23-2009, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I believe the service manuals indicate that the DA4400ES, DA5400ES and DA6400ES all have the same amplifier section. I'd like to see actual bench test of the 6400ES though.
post #107 of 160 Old 03-27-2009, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

There was a review of the 5400ES in the Sept 2008 issue of HI-FI News.

He's a brief [edited]quote from the Lab Report.

Like other manufacturers, Sony rather cannily specifies it's AV amplifier channel by channel,declaring 2 X 120W for the surrounds etc.
Nevertheless,according to my tests,the STR-DA5400ES will still deliver a full and simultaneous 5 X 120W,at which point it's drawing some 1.02KW from the wall...
Under dynamic conditions the amplifier will sustain 5 X 255W/4ohm and 5 X 270W/2ohm but beyond this the output is limited by protection.

The 91db A-wtd S/N ratio is impressive [re. 0dBW] as is the 101.5db achieved with LPCM inputs through the preamp output,but the 1440psec jitter is rather high caused,in this instance,by a 100Hz modulation from-I presume-PSU rectifier noise.Otherwise the digital stages offer excellent low-level resolution and gently tailored - 1db/20kHz frequency response.
Finally,Sony bass management is tailored to mix 'Small Centre' channel bass to the front channels while 'Small Surround' channel bass is diverted to the sub.

Here a link to the HI-FI News site,at the bottom right of the page in RED is a Download test results link [I haven't been able to get it to work,might be a Firefox thing or you might need to be an online subscriber?]

http://www.hifinews.co.uk/content/next.htm
I just typed out/copied the report from my print version.
post #108 of 160 Old 03-29-2009, 07:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Question:
How do we know or how we can check the status/mode of audio streaming at 5400ES GUI display?
post #109 of 160 Old 03-30-2009, 10:12 PM
Advanced Member

Nobody knows?
post #110 of 160 Old 04-02-2009, 01:54 PM

Meaning if your receiver is behind a cabinet door or something (not visible), can the GUI show you whether you're streaming DTS-MA or Dolby True HD (or other)? It should, but I don't know if it does. I can check when I get home tonight, nothing about it in the manual. Anyone else know? Bueller?

-IM Fletcher
post #111 of 160 Old 04-02-2009, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

I dont think the 5400ES display any streaming status on LCD, or? Even if yes, it is not readable in 3 meters distance.
I want just push buttons on remote control and the satus of audio streaming is displayed on big screen.

I have difficulty to identify audio streaming from HTPC media files.

Waiting for your direction.
Thanks
post #112 of 160 Old 04-08-2009, 01:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM Fletcher View Post

Meaning if your receiver is behind a cabinet door or something (not visible), can the GUI show you whether you're streaming DTS-MA or Dolby True HD (or other)? It should, but I don't know if it does. I can check when I get home tonight, nothing about it in the manual. Anyone else know? Bueller?

-IM Fletcher

Have you found out how?
Or anybody?
post #113 of 160 Old 04-09-2009, 02:13 PM

Tried but couldn't find a way to display the information. Sorry I couldn't help you.

-IM Fletcher
post #114 of 160 Old 04-15-2009, 09:41 PM

First-time poster. Bear with me...

In the GUI menu, I set my inputs for my DirecTV box, and renamed the "SAT" (I believe that's the default name) to "DirecTV" and have done this for all my other components. When I start the receiver "DirecTV" displays on the front panel...but never displays again. Instead, I'll see "SAT." Is there any way I can change this so I see "DirecTV," "PS3," "DVD1," "DVD2," etc. on the front panel?

Thanks in advance!
post #115 of 160 Old 04-23-2009, 09:20 AM

I have the UK version of the STR-DA5400ES receiver that incorprates H.A.T.S and when ON together with the SCD-XA 5400ES player the combination sounds very good However I was unable to connect my Oppo 980H DVD player for video because the receiver tripped out and could not be reset. I took the receiver back to the Sony Centre and was told they had the same problem with their demo model that took three days to reset and has since failed again. I received a refund and now after nearly 4 weeks we have still not heard from Sony as to how they intend to rectify the problem of unreliability. Incidently the Sony player is better than the Oppo for SACD.
post #116 of 160 Old 04-23-2009, 10:03 AM

posted from 4400es thread

I was wondering if someone could help me troubleshoot with an issue I am having.

For whatever reason the built in video scaler in the receiver does not like to convert properly component hdtv pc video signals. I get some crazy video like hum bars scrolling slowly down the screen.

I have done a bunch of tests like switching component cables(thick and thicker), computers (ati and nvidia cards), cables lengths (6feet,25feet), power outlets, and monitors (lcd and crt) and my only conclusion is conflict with the pc signal and receiver video scaler (Faroudja DCDI Cinema)

If I set it to direct on resolution the signal comes in clean, no problem at all, regardless of connection.
But If I switch from 480i/p,720p,1080i it looks all jacked up.

I mean in reality I can select whatever rez I want from the actual computer ,set to direct, and be done with it. But I just don't understand why it does that. It scales my wii, ps3, cable box and everything else just fine.

If anyone is bored and can hook up their pc to the receiver using component, I sure would like to know what kind of result you get.

thanks in advance
post #117 of 160 Old 04-26-2009, 12:46 AM
Advanced Member

To boost 2 channel front speakers of my HT speakers system, I try to connect Sony 5400 to another 2 channel Amplifier (karaoke with 2 big speakers) which has extra AUX 2 channel RCA audio input, I tried audio output of Sony 5400's "MD" and "TAPE", but no sound out of these output, weird ?!

How I can get 2 channels sound out of Sony 5400, no matter what I play (surround movies or 2 channel source) ?

Thanks.
post #118 of 160 Old 04-27-2009, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwanrs View Post

To boost 2 channel front speakers of my HT speakers system, I try to connect Sony 5400 to another 2 channel Amplifier (karaoke with 2 big speakers) which has extra AUX 2 channel RCA audio input, I tried audio output of Sony 5400's "MD" and "TAPE", but no sound out of these output, weird ?!

How I can get 2 channels sound out of Sony 5400, no matter what I play (surround movies or 2 channel source) ?

Thanks.

I'd connect to "PRE OUT" front L & R.
post #119 of 160 Old 04-27-2009, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnguyen02 View Post

I'd connect to "PRE OUT" front L & R.

Thanks Nguyen, it works !

The only problem is that the volume of second Amp controlled by Sony 5400 volume control as well, but that's OK.
post #120 of 160 Old 05-13-2009, 06:28 AM

Hey guys, here's my dilemna. I've got a SONY 5400ES AVR. When I did the build out on my basement I installed in wall Baluns that can carry component signal over cat5e in between the two. So I've got my second zone running out over component and the video works great, however, the audio is the single "ORANGE" digital audio hook up, and I do not have the same output for zone two (Nor does the HDTV in zone two have an input for the digital "ORANGE" input. Zone two audio is output from the avr via the standard "RED/WHITE" RCA cables... my question is whether or not I can purchase two "splitters" to convert the audio signal from the "RED/WHITE" and send it over the "ORANGE" in wall connection, and then have the opposite on the other end, convert it back so I can plug it into the TV? I just want to be able to send audio to the TV in zone two.

My second question is regarding sending the Video sources to the second zone. Like I said, video to the second zone works great. This suprised me because as I said above my output from the AVR is component and the DIRECTV satelite box is running into the AVR via HDMI. I didn't think the AVR could down convert, but it works great... for the SAT Box. My PS3 on the other hand doesn't work on the second zone... I've got the ps3 going into the AVR with an HDMI cable and I don't get anything when I have it selected on the second zone... any suggestions? Thanks?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page