Sony STR-DA5400ES Owner's Thread - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 160 Old 01-22-2010, 05:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just bought the 5400ES. I can't figure out how, or even if it's possible, to output XM to zone 2 or zone 3.

Hooked up zone 3 rca out to rca in on another receiver. Now how do I get xm to play in zone 3?

I'm stuck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 160 Old 12-13-2010, 03:29 PM

I have been searching for a way to get my Sony STR-DA5400ES receiver to display the volume on my HDTV. I'm using HDMI for all video and audio connections. I've connected a camcorder to the receiver using component cables and the volume appears on the screen when adjusting. I've hear some say it is possible over HDMI and others that it is not. I've yet to locate anything solid one way or the other.
Has anyone managed to get this feature to work. If so, I'd appreciate it if you can share the configuration requirements. If there is no way to view volume when using HDMI, I'd like to confirm that, so I can stop searching once and for all.

In addition, i just picked up a Sony PS3 slim, primarily for the Blu ray, but also some gaming. I've never had one of these consoles before and would like to get the maximum audio and visual playback for the various DVD, Blu Ray, streamed media,games, etc which I plan to run through it. Does anyone have suggestions on what configurations have worked best for them using the 5400ES with a PS3?
post #153 of 160 Old 12-15-2010, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstricke1 View Post
I have been searching for a way to get my Sony STR-DA5400ES receiver to display the volume on my HDTV. I'm using HDMI for all video and audio connections. I've connected a camcorder to the receiver using component cables and the volume appears on the screen when adjusting. I've hear some say it is possible over HDMI and others that it is not. I've yet to locate anything solid one way or the other.
Has anyone managed to get this feature to work. If so, I'd appreciate it if you can share the configuration requirements. If there is no way to view volume when using HDMI, I'd like to confirm that, so I can stop searching once and for all.
I have the 5500ES but the 5400ES may be the same. I believe you must have GUI Mode turned on. I think that's all you need. The only other setting I can think of that you may need to enable is the video processing, i.e., turn off Video Direct under HDMI Settings.

post #154 of 160 Old 02-14-2011, 02:14 PM

Help lost Video output and GUI display.

I have been using my DA5400ES for about a year. Motorola HD digital box HDMI output to HDMI input 2. HDMI output A to Sony XBR952 HDMI 1 input. Now no longer getting video display output from the 5400ES on the XBR, nor can I get the 5400ES GUI to display on screen. Sometimes I get sound, sometimes not. PS3 on HDMI 1 input to HDMI output A displays no problem. HD digital box direct to the XBR input displays no problem. HDMI cables test out ok. I have reset GUI display on/off and even reset 5400ES settings to no avail. I do get brief display of picture when toggling back to HDMI 2 input when switching around the inputs using the remote. I'm thinking something has flaked out with a HW component that is messing with video up convert or maybe the FW has corrupted, something like that. No messages from the 5400ES displayed. Again I can't see the GUI so difficult to tweek settings. Any suggestions or experience with this issue.
post #155 of 160 Old 02-14-2011, 06:11 PM

You should be able to navigate the settings via the display on the unit. If you prefer the on-screen GUI, you can connect another output type, e.g., component to your TV so you can at least see the GUI while you tinker with it.

Did you reset the receiver to factory state? Doing that is a pain as you'll have to redo your custom settings.

You can also contact Sony directly via live chat or submit a support ticket with your issue if resetting the receiver doesn't solve your issue. The link below is to Sony's site for this particular receiver.

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/mod...DA5400ES&LOC=3

Good luck.

post #156 of 160 Old 11-14-2011, 07:35 PM

Anyone know how to update the firmware on one of these bad boys? Some Onkyo, Denon, and yes, Sony ES receivers (including the 5400ES) are having DTS-MA audio dropout problems with the Star Wars blu rays. After being very annoyed at the dropouts I looked around on the forum and it appears the issue is with the receiver itself decoding the DTS-MA 6.1 bitstream from the movies.

Anybody had this issue? Fixed it yet? Any ideas how to fix? Hoping I don't have to take it to a dealer or something...

-IM Fletcher
post #157 of 160 Old 11-20-2011, 10:14 AM

Go here: http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/sel...ype_group_id=5

Enter your model number and go to the firmware update. I have a 5500ES and just downloaded the new firmware. Hopefully they fixed the issues I have with bitstreaming DTS-HD. Fingers crossed.

post #158 of 160 Old 11-22-2011, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYColumbia View Post

Go here: http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/sel...ype_group_id=5

Enter your model number and go to the firmware update. I have a 5500ES and just downloaded the new firmware. Hopefully they fixed the issues I have with bitstreaming DTS-HD. Fingers crossed.

I see there is a file for the 5500ES that was just released, but nothing for the 5400ES. And the upgrade for the 5500ES uses its LAN/internet connection, which the 5400ES does not have. I assume we have to use the serial cable connection to upgrade the 5400ES, if they release such an upgrade?
post #159 of 160 Old 11-22-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilme2 View Post

I see there is a file for the 5500ES that was just released, but nothing for the 5400ES. And the upgrade for the 5500ES uses its LAN/internet connection, which the 5400ES does not have. I assume we have to use the serial cable connection to upgrade the 5400ES, if they release such an upgrade?

That sounds about right. I had an older ES preamp that was updated the same way, i.e., via serial cable which was a pain in the a$$. It amazes me that Sony, still, doesn't just provide a USB port like pretty much everyone else in the world. I guess they think the "pro" installers are the only ones who can update the AVR. Good grief. I'm fortunate to have a model with networking.

The 5500ES had BD DTS-HD decoding issues with bitstreaming so it needed to be fixed. I for one have been constantly asking them to fix this for the past year! It's about freakin' time they fixed this. The 5400ES probably has no issues to fix.

post #160 of 160 Old 02-19-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilme2 View Post

thanks did this update do anything major. I am still on the 1.29 firmware, will be updating this tonigh. thanks also is the only way to up change the input text by using the ES utlity? thanks
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page