"Official" Marantz SR5003/6003/7003/8003 Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 2401 Old 11-03-2008, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, my SR6003 selects Multi-Channel PCM for PS3 if I use the Auto setting. You could try the Source Direct mode although it'll bypass the EQ.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2401 Old 11-03-2008, 02:07 PM

Thank you for the response. I had the PS3's output set to "auto" in the PS3's audio settings, which worked fine with my Pioneer. After going in and checking them all manually, I now have Multi-channel 5.1 PCM
post #93 of 2401 Old 11-03-2008, 05:03 PM

From what I can gather from the little info the AVR comes with, and my own trial and error, you want to set you surround to Dolby PLIIx, or Dolby +EX. From everything I can gather this will allow for the TrueHD sound to be used. Anyone who knows more about it I welcome the info as well.
post #94 of 2401 Old 11-04-2008, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Friends
Can the 5003 or 6003 do post-processing eg PL IIx to a lossless signal like LPCM, TruHD or DTS-MA, such that a 5.1 signal is processed into a 7.1 signal
Thanks

My gear & my blog:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #95 of 2401 Old 11-05-2008, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petetherock View Post

Friends
Can the 5003 or 6003 do post-processing eg PL IIx to a lossless signal like LPCM, TruHD or DTS-MA, such that a 5.1 signal is processed into a 7.1 signal
Thanks

I am not 100% sure on this, but I believe it cannot apply PL IIx on DTS-MA, DD+ and True HD. LPCM might be possible, but haven't tested (I have a 4.0 system so no need for PL IIx).
post #96 of 2401 Old 11-07-2008, 07:22 PM

I'm almost set on buying the SR5003 for my first HDMI receiver, but unsure about the whole HDMI video pass-thru function. If I only use HDMI to connect my cablebox to the SR5003 and then out to my plasma, does the SR5003 need to be on to watch TV?
post #97 of 2401 Old 11-08-2008, 03:35 AM

Liked: 53
Yes the receiver needs to be on. The pass through function means the receiver doesn't do any of the video processing and passes the signal to your display. This is beneficial if your display has better video processing than the receiver.

Bob
post #98 of 2401 Old 11-08-2008, 08:55 AM

According to the 5003 and 6003 manuals, the Audyssey EQ is useless for DD+, TrueHD and DTS-HD material - the EQ simply cannot be applied in this case (channel trim/delay, crossover freqs, etc. continue to work, though.) It seems odd that one of the features that are supposed to be among strong selling points of the receiver is essentially disabled for much of the Bluray content. Has anyone tried to verify this?
post #99 of 2401 Old 11-09-2008, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Can anyone comment on the heat level output? I am considering this model but I have a tight squeeze in my entertainment stand. It will have no room to the top, bottom or sides. The rear is open however and I could add a fan. I know the Onkyo 606 could not handle this arrangement as it runs way too hot. Any comment from current Marantz people on the heat issue?

Thanks in advace.

Pan 46PZ85U, Marantz SR5003, TiVo Premier, TiVoHd + 1tb, A2 (fs), PS3, Pan DMR E-95 (fs), JVC DVD-A, Polk & Infinity, Harmony One
post #100 of 2401 Old 11-10-2008, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuJac View Post

Can anyone comment on the heat level output? I am considering this model but I have a tight squeeze in my entertainment stand. It will have no room to the top, bottom or sides. The rear is open however and I could add a fan. I know the Onkyo 606 could not handle this arrangement as it runs way too hot. Any comment from current Marantz people on the heat issue?

Thanks in advace.

If you could put a computer fan on top of the unit, I'd think that would provide adequate ventilation. That's what I've done for mine. If not, it's somewhat of a risk. A fan just in the rear would need to move quite a bit of air.
post #101 of 2401 Old 11-10-2008, 04:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, that's probably the deal breaker. I can't put a fan on top of it; I'll have less than 2 inches on the top. In my setup, the amp fits just below the center channel speaker in it's own tight cubbyhole. It's been fine for my JVC amp but it looks like I'll never be able to upgrade to a hotter-running amp. Very unfortunate.

Pan 46PZ85U, Marantz SR5003, TiVo Premier, TiVoHd + 1tb, A2 (fs), PS3, Pan DMR E-95 (fs), JVC DVD-A, Polk & Infinity, Harmony One
post #102 of 2401 Old 11-10-2008, 04:40 AM

Do any owners feel there's a lack of bass with the Marantz after running Audyssey? Audyssey set my sub level WAAY low, which I thought was a bug with the xx02's that had been corrected. I bumped it up, but still feel the sound is lacking across the low end range.

I read a little bit of the first few pages of the official audyssey thread and saw that this was mentioned, but that info is over a year and a half old so I'm not sure it's relevant...I need to dig around more in there but at 283 pages, thought I'd ask here first.

I plan on running audyssey again with the volume on the sub turned down and see if that helps. I did not have this issue with MCACC on the Pioneer I had previously.

Any insights are most appreciated.
post #103 of 2401 Old 11-10-2008, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuJac View Post

Well, that's probably the deal breaker. I can't put a fan on top of it; I'll have less than 2 inches on the top. In my setup, the amp fits just below the center channel speaker in it's own tight cubbyhole. It's been fine for my JVC amp but it looks like I'll never be able to upgrade to a hotter-running amp. Very unfortunate.

It's really not a hot running AVR. If you have 2 inches, you could put something like this on top of it:

http://buyextras.com/cocofankiscs.html

It's only about an inch tall. You're setup sounds a lot like mine and the 5003 stays very cool with the fan on top of it. You can plug it into the switched outlet so that it comes on with the unit. I'd go for it. With it being so similar, I'd be glad to post or pm you a pic of mine if you'd like.
post #104 of 2401 Old 11-10-2008, 08:09 AM

I purchased the 5003 to use as a cheap HT preamp associated with my dedicated power amps. Problem I've encountered (heard) was that when you reduce the volume down to infinity, you hear an audible click. You also hear an audible click when switching between certain analog inputs. It seems there's some DC voltage seeping from the 5003. Both of my power amps are DC-coupled.

Anyone else hear this on their 5003?

BTW, as for heat level, certain parts of the unit does run warm to the touch (even with the power section turned off).
post #105 of 2401 Old 11-10-2008, 08:10 AM

Will prolly return for another unit or a Pioneer.
post #106 of 2401 Old 11-10-2008, 08:16 AM

Quote:

According to the 5003 and 6003 manuals, the Audyssey EQ is useless for DD+, TrueHD and DTS-HD material - the EQ simply cannot be applied in this case (channel trim/delay, crossover freqs, etc. continue to work, though.)

where is this in the manual?
post #107 of 2401 Old 11-10-2008, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Just a couple clarification questions.

Is there any difference between the processing of the 6003 and 5003? I'm asking this as I'm thinking of running one of these with the mm8003 amp.

And for set-up, I run the hdmi cable to the receiver and then use the 7.1 pre-outs to the amp, correct?
post #108 of 2401 Old 11-10-2008, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naxray View Post

It's really not a hot running AVR. If you have 2 inches, you could put something like this on top of it:

http://buyextras.com/cocofankiscs.html

It's only about an inch tall. You're setup sounds a lot like mine and the 5003 stays very cool with the fan on top of it. You can plug it into the switched outlet so that it comes on with the unit. I'd go for it. With it being so similar, I'd be glad to post or pm you a pic of mine if you'd like.

Thanks Naxray - this does look like it will work.

post #109 of 2401 Old 11-10-2008, 12:40 PM

Quote:

And for set-up, I run the hdmi cable to the receiver and then use the 7.1 pre-outs to the amp, correct?

Yes. And also turn off all speakers (A, B, A+B) so that you don't operate the amplifier section of the receiver. Should be a little less hot running.
post #110 of 2401 Old 11-10-2008, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwyun View Post

where is this in the manual?

See the English User manuals for both 5003 and 6003 (http://us.marantz.com/SR5003_U_EN.pdf or http://us.marantz.com/SR6003_U_EN.pdf), Page 40:
Quote:
SETUP
6 ACOUSTIC EQ
Notes:
FRONT, AUDYSSEY FLAT and
AUDYSSEY can be selected after executing the
AUTO SETUP feature.
If a speaker that was determined NO in Auto
Setup is manually turned on, the AUDYSSEY,
FRONT and AUDYSSEY FLAT modes cannot
be selected.
The equalizer turns off when the Pure Direct mode,
Source Direct mode, Dolby Headphone or Virtual
mode is set.
ACOUSTIC EQ MODEs are not used during
playback of Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, or
DTS-HD signals.
Even in this case, settings made using Speaker Auto
Setup (speaker yes/no, separation, size, channel
level, crossover) are enabled.

Tone Control is disabled when an EQ MODE is in
use.

I've tried it on my new SR5003 and the Audyssey indicator indeed went off when I was playing DTS-HD track from a buray player. I haven't checked TrueHD and DD+, though. However, the DSD seems to co-exist fine with Audyssey EQ. Also, when the bluray player performs the internal decoding of HBR audio and passes multichannel PCM over HDMI, again, the Audyssey EQ seems to work too.

I wonder if this is something that could be fixed in a firmware upgrade. Assuming that the DSP has enough headroom for both HBR decoding and applying the Adyssey processing at the same time, I don't see why not.
post #111 of 2401 Old 11-10-2008, 05:25 PM

In addition to SR5003 not being able to use Audyssey when playing HD audio, the tone control also seems to be disabled for this case. See page 16 of the english manual for SR5003:
Quote:
Notes:
The tone control function is unavailable for the
Source Direct, Pure Direct, Headphone, Dolby
Virtual Speaker mode, and 176.4/192kHz PCM.
The Tone control function is not available when MDAX
is being used.
The tone control function is not available when
ACOUSTIC EQ is being used.
Additionally, tone control is not available during
Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, or DTS-HD
playback.

While not allowing the tone control when ACOUSTIC EQ is being used makes sense, the last bullet actually may indicate that the onboard DSP circuit simply does not have enough computing power to do both HD audio decoding and even rudimentaty tone control. This does not look good and could be a dealbreaker for me. Even the last years's Denon receivers that support HD audio codecs do not seem to have these problems - at least the manuals don't mention such restrictions.

I wonder if it would be possible to get some answers from Marantz's technical support.

P.S. I've read the SR7002 and SR8002 manuals - same thing. HBR audio decoding does not coexist with Audyssey EQ. This really sounds odd to me. Why bother adding the "hot" features that do not work together? Sure, provided that you have the source that does the HBR decoding internally and passes LPCM over HDMI to the receiver, the Room EQ works, but I don't see any reason why one should pay extra for HBR decoders that won't be used anyway.
post #112 of 2401 Old 11-10-2008, 06:21 PM

^^ This does not seem to be the case sending PCM via the PS3. I'm able to use the EQ and Audyssey.
post #113 of 2401 Old 11-10-2008, 10:37 PM

Quote:

^^ This does not seem to be the case sending PCM via the PS3. I'm able to use the EQ and Audyssey.

Yes, that's what the manual says - EQ, tone control, etc. work fine with PCM. I've also experimented with PCM vs. bitstream out on my player and can confirm that if you want to listen to HBR audio and simultaneously use the EQ, it sure can be done provided that the player outputs the decoded PCM. The question is why do I need a receiver with HBR decoding then if the decoding has to be done externally if I want to be able to use the EQ? SR6002, for instance, can do exactly the same - multichannel PCM over HDMI and Audyssey MultEQ and now can be had for 499 at local COSTCO warehouse.
post #114 of 2401 Old 11-11-2008, 04:12 AM

Good question - this is indeed and odd "feature". Although I knew I'd be sending PCM I wanted something that would decode the HBR audio if I got a different player...hmmm.

Edit: Decode and allow the Audyssey features to be used.
post #115 of 2401 Old 11-11-2008, 04:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Did anyone recognize a brightened image when using the HDMI passthrough? Does the video pass unmolested?

XBL : neonima

PSN : NeoNima
post #116 of 2401 Old 11-11-2008, 06:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tengizk View Post

Yes, that's what the manual says - EQ, tone control, etc. work fine with PCM. I've also experimented with PCM vs. bitstream out on my player and can confirm that if you want to listen to HBR audio and simultaneously use the EQ, it sure can be done provided that the player outputs the decoded PCM. The question is why do I need a receiver with HBR decoding then if the decoding has to be done externally if I want to be able to use the EQ? SR6002, for instance, can do exactly the same - multichannel PCM over HDMI and Audyssey MultEQ and now can be had for 499 at local COSTCO warehouse.

So which sounds better, the bitstream without audessey or the pcm with?
post #117 of 2401 Old 11-11-2008, 07:01 AM

I've read through the majority of the 7002/8002 thread and don't recall this Audyssey / HBR bitstream issue being mentioned, so I don't understand why it would rear it's head in the 5003/6003...makes absolutely no sense.

I have a replacement Pioneer 1018 that should be delivered today that's new in the box that I had planned on selling. The Marantz is a definite step up for music and I much prefer it despite the $200 price premium (which will be more like $300 to sell it). But this issue really bugs me and I surely don't want to have to start down the firmware upgrade path with it already...geez!
post #118 of 2401 Old 11-11-2008, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Can the 6003 expand 5.1 lossless to 7.1, or would you be stuck without the use of 2 of the back speakers?
post #119 of 2401 Old 11-11-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eimajnacnud View Post

So which sounds better, the bitstream without audessey or the pcm with?

Before I even considered getting a receiver with Audyssey, I've spent a lot of time experimenting with different speakers, speaker layouts, room treatments, etc. and now I have a well correlated 5 speaker system that is reasonably flat WRT to the frequency response. As a result, the FLAT option, that the Audyssey MultEQ provides, practically has no corrections in the frequency domain (less than +/-1.5 dB db in a typically 2-3 EQ bands per each speaker or so). Hence, when listening to the music when either FLAT or FRONT is selected, there is practically no audible difference between HBR decoded onboard and no EQ or PCM with Audyssey EQ.

However, the AUDYSSEY curve, obviously, sounds very different and you don't need the perfect ear to clearly hear the dissimilarity.

Also, if I ever decide to get new speakers or even add a piece of furniture in the media room, etc. then I might actually need the room EQ correction even if I keep using the FLAT option. Isn't this the whole purpose of the Audyssey MultEQ? Why should it at all depend on the format of the input signal? Again, assuming, of course, that the onboard DSP has enough computing power for both HBR decoding and EQ.
post #120 of 2401 Old 11-11-2008, 12:40 PM

Quote:

I've read through the majority of the 7002/8002 thread and don't recall this Audyssey / HBR bitstream issue being mentioned, so I don't understand why it would rear it's head in the 5003/6003...makes absolutely no sense.

According to the manuals, the 7002/8002 have exactly the same issue - no EQ when doing onboard decoding of HBR.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page