Need advice on a receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 08-28-2008, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was staying out of town the other night and I stopped by the local Best Buy to kill some time. I've been putting off my AV upgrade and I figured this was a good time to look around and get some ideas. I really liked the Denon offerings but I have been out of the audio world for so long, I really don't know what the latest and greatest technology is and what I should be looking for.

Here's the setup they recommended:

Denon AVR2808 100W 7 channel receiver $999
Definitive Technologies Mythos Gem front speakers $559 pair (I'll ask about the speaker in that sub-forum)
Definitive Technologies Pro Cinema 800 surround speakers $289 ea
Definitive Technologies Pro Center 1000 center channel $219
Definitive Technologies Pro Sub 1000 10" sub $499

This is being paired with my 58" 1080P Samsung Plasma, HD Cable STB, and PS3.

I am replacing my now ancient Bose Lifestyle system from circa 1994 or so. It has the small cube speakers that rotate top and bottom and a powered sub. Sound is still decent from them and their size is great, but the receiver is starting to have issues and I really want to take advantage of the newer technology.

The room itself is 320 sqft, roughly 17' x 18'.

So, any suggestions on other receivers within this price range +/- 25% or comments on the Denon stuff specifically? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-28-2008, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Welcome. I was in the same situation as you last year and spent months researching speakers/receivers on 7.1 systems.. In the end, I went with Def Tech speakers and have them going to an Onkyo 805 receiver. I really haven't had chance to listen to the receiver/speakers for more than a couple of days after I bought them since I'm still building my media room in the basement. I picked this receiver since I previously had Onkyo products (HTIB) and many forum members had positive comments on the 805.
Good Luck.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page