Recomended UPS / Surge Protector? - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Audio > Receivers, Amps, and Processors > Recomended UPS / Surge Protector?

Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Logic_BomB's Avatar Logic_BomB
02:46 PM Liked: 10
post #1 of 10
08-28-2008 | Posts: 773
(I have no idea where the best place to put this thread was so I hope this works... please move if necessary.)

I have a projector on the way for the home theater I'm setting up in the basement and an amp is very soon to follow.

I could care less about cleaning up the power for audio/video quality purposes but I do however live in an area of the city that gets hit hardest with thunderstorms and lightning. Power has already gone out once from a storm since I moved in (just over a month ago).

Does anyone here know much of this field and have any recomendations for protecting home theater gear from shutting off / getting damaged?
penngray's Avatar penngray
08:05 AM Liked: 30
post #2 of 10
08-29-2008 | Posts: 26,779
Amp/AVR does not need UPS just surge protection. The projector needs a small UPS, I buy APC all the time.

I have a Panny AE900 and I have a "power bridge" wiring back to a UPS in my AV racks.

You should post your projector questions in the correct forum though, they possibly will have many alternatives
DonoMan's Avatar DonoMan
08:15 AM Liked: 11
post #3 of 10
08-29-2008 | Posts: 3,670
UPS: Liebert GXT2 or APC SmartUPS
Surge Protector: Panamax, Monster (if you find it at a good price), Furman, APC, Tripp-Lite, Brick Wall (or one of the few companies that sell the same thing)

IN ADDITION TO a strip or in-outlet surge protector for your important things, I also recommend a whole-house surge protector that is wired directly into your electrical panel.
millerwill's Avatar millerwill
02:10 PM Liked: 47
post #4 of 10
06-04-2009 | Posts: 11,444
Does anyone have any info re the monoprice.com product # 4153, "UPS Battery Backup ..." which has surge protection, voltage regulation, and Noise Filter, for $175?
John Clark's Avatar John Clark
03:12 PM Liked: 16
post #5 of 10
06-20-2009 | Posts: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

Does anyone have any info re the monoprice.com product # 4153, "UPS Battery Backup ..." which has surge protection, voltage regulation, and Noise Filter, for $175?

I was considering getting one of these for my projector too. Any input would be appreciated.

John
bimmerfreak0's Avatar bimmerfreak0
03:19 PM Liked: 15
post #6 of 10
06-20-2009 | Posts: 971
well to the people that use lampcord for speakerwire, im sure they will say to either never use a surge protector, buy a whole house one (which sucks) or get one from wally world for $2. Personally i prefer any console surge protector such as panamax, monster (online they can be had at least 50% off), Belkin PureAV or APC
09:56 PM Liked: 47
post #7 of 10
06-20-2009 | Posts: 11,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfreak0 View Post

well to the people that use lampcord for speakerwire, im sure they will say to either never use a surge protector, buy a whole house one (which sucks) or get one from wally world for $2. Personally i prefer any console surge protector such as panamax, monster (online they can be had at least 50% off), Belkin PureAV or APC

Would you have any recommendation re the Belkin AP30800 PURE AV and the monoprice UPS unit, both available for ~ $160? (I would guess that the monoprice product would give more performance per $.)
11:31 PM Liked: 47
post #8 of 10
06-20-2009 | Posts: 11,444
Quote:

PS BTW, I do use lamp cord for my speaker wire. Why not?
tdowning's Avatar tdowning
02:53 PM Liked: 10
post #9 of 10
06-23-2009 | Posts: 21
As far as Battery back-ups go, I highly recommend APC.

I have whole-house suppression, including on the cable line.

All the electronics are connected to the mains via an APC of some sort. (word to the wise... remember to replace the batteries when needed!) since I have set up this double protection system, with the house wide and the APC units, I have had far fewer problems with hardware dying on me. (just a couple of PSU's and two ReplayTV hard drives have failed since I got the last part of the system protected.

As far as surge suppressors, all I can speak to is the Radio Shack branded ones. Some time around 1992, I got one for like $60 for my computer. it lasted through many thunderstorms, until about 2001, when it blew the "Sacrificial Circuit" (a fast acting fuse that will kill all power if the clamping circuit is to old or overloaded to clamp on the spike fast enough.

the suppressor would no longer pass any power to the outlets, but the computer was 100% functional. I replaced it with another Radio Shack unit, which has served many purposes. presently it sits next to an APC Back-ups XS 1300. the APC provided battery power to my ReplayTV and cable box, and now my HD Tivo with CableCard. The Radio Shack unit protects the LCD tv, and gives me a convenient place behind the tv for all the wall warts for charging my iPod, Smart Phone, NiMh Battery charger, etc.

you can get a Radio Shack suppressor pretty cheap, even one with an equipment protection insurance policy. Those are the units I use to protect non-computer expensive electronics, (the computers are on APC back-ups)
JonW747's Avatar JonW747
03:37 PM Liked: 10
post #10 of 10
06-23-2009 | Posts: 860
Quote:

You must be talking about the people who actually care about the science and engineering behind what's trying to be accomplished .vs. the unproven claims that various marketing companies come up with?

Whole house is the way to go with surge protection. If you don't squash a surge at the point of entry, it can still arc and move around the house. You can certainly add isolation transformers, but the instant you connect something to a piece of equipment that's not also isolated (cable TV, satellite dish) you've potentially compromised everything.

If you have something with a hard disk or other equipment that might suffer some unpleasantness if power was yanked ... then you might consider a UPS, but you have to weight even that against the hassle and expense of replacing the batteries in the things every couple of years.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Subscribe to this Thread