Yamaha RX-Z7 reciever. - Page 43 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-26-2012, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by arftech View Post

I just bought a used Z7 that will be used as a Pre/Pro. However, after installing the latest firmware update, the net light indicator stays on while the unit is powered off. Is this normal?

Yes, it's normal if Network Standby is set to On (which is needed if you want to turn it on via a network command). If you don't need to do that, or pass HDMI signals when in standby mode, then you can turn off those two features and avoid wasting power when in standby mode (the Z7 was one of the first models to support HDMI passthrough in standby mode, but unlike the new models it uses 60-90W to do it!).

If you didn't get the manual, you can download the PDF from Yamaha's web site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2013, 01:08 AM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello again people, the newbie here, smile.gif

I would like to use a seperate amp for the front three speakers. I purchased some MartinLogan speakers. If I use the preouts from the Z7, (LR+C) to drive a 3 channel amp, will the rear speakers and sub still be
driven by the Z7?
Will I be able to control the volume with the remote? I ask because I read somewhere in the manual that using the preamp
outs will stop the power from coming from the Z7. I am not sure how it does that.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Doug

Old 12-26-2013, 03:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 35
For what it's worth . . .

For years, yes - YEARS - I've had a problem with HDMI related dropouts with my setup.

NO dropouts when watching blu-rays on my Oppo (HDMI to RX-Z7 & HDMI to Panasonic TCP-65V10 display), and NO dropouts when watching a DVD from my Sony 400-disc changer (component to RX-Z7), but consistently having issues when watching SD or HD cable programs through my Comcast SA8300HDC STB (HDMI to RX-Z7). If I told you everything I've tried to cure this you wouldn't believe me. BUT, I hated the thought of leaving the one-cable connection world.

After spending MORE money changing all of my HDMI cables over to the Monoprice "Redmere" cables with no luck, I was just about to throw in the towel. Did a LOT more reading here on the Forums and decided to double-check the video settings on my RX-Z7 one last time. Ah-hah! I switched the "HDMI-to-HDMI" video signal processing setting from "Processing" to "Through".

Voila! So far so good, and it's been nearly a week since I made the change. Still keeping my fingers crossed, but I believe it's truly fixed now! Whew!
mikejedi123 and theSteam like this.

Best regards,
Lloyd C.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Glad to hear your issues are resolved..the Z7 is a fine unit.. i am using it as a pre/pro to power my parasound amps and love it!! It still sounds nice even as a pre/pro and with my oppo 105d... I think the only few things that can better it is a Yamaha cx-A5000 or a Marantz av8801... (when the funds allow, i am leaning he CX-a5000's way! ) smile.gif Have fun!
Lloyd-TX likes this.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejedi123 View Post

Glad to hear your issues are resolved..the Z7 is a fine unit.. i am using it as a pre/pro to power my parasound amps and love it!! It still sounds nice even as a pre/pro and with my oppo 105d... I think the only few things that can better it is a Yamaha cx-A5000 or a Marantz av8801... (when the funds allow, i am leaning he CX-a5000's way! ) smile.gif Have fun!

Thanks, Mike.

Still NOT ONE "drop-out" to this day. Definitely cured! smile.gif

Best regards,
Lloyd C.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Alright everyone I am looking for a new receiver to replace my old Denon that doesn't even have HDMI. I need recommendations please trying to be budget conscious (unless I wait). I am running 2 Monitor 60's and a CS2 for the front and 4 Monitor 40's for the surrounds. I saw newegg had a good deal on a Yamaha today http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0MJ-0022-00014

What are your thoughts on it I'd like to stay in the $400-$900 range but the cheaper the better. I defiantly want something with network capability.

Thanks
Old 04-08-2014, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 247
You'd have more luck with questions about the 775 in this thread.

But yes, that's a good deal. It's last year's model and the x77 series is starting to appear, but there's not a big difference.
Old 12-01-2014, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
New firmware update is available - now at V125, file date November 12, 2014. Single change log entry pertaining to streaming music compatibility improvements. I seem to have missed several updates since V116. Does anyone know of a list of changes for all the versions released to the public so far?
Lloyd-TX likes this.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetDef View Post
New firmware update is available - now at V125, file date November 12, 2014. Single change log entry pertaining to streaming music compatibility improvements. I seem to have missed several updates since V116. Does anyone know of a list of changes for all the versions released to the public so far?
Thanks for posting the Z7 update. I try to remember to check Yamaha's site for updates from time-to-time, but it had been a while. I normally use my Oppo for streaming, but I prefer to keep all of my electronics updated.

Sorry, but I don't have a list of the changes for all the firmware versions, just a list of the firmware update numbers I have record of since 2009 - V0085, V0096, V0110, V0111, V0116, V0118, V0120, V0123 and now V0125.

Best regards,
Lloyd C.

Old 12-02-2014, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
When I went to here... http://download.yamaha.com/search/pr...uct_id=1011474
It only lists RX-Z7 Firmware Update Version 1.23. Not 1.25. Can you tell me where you went to get 1.25, please?

Old 12-03-2014, 12:35 AM
frg

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Nowhere, it is just a typo in the file name...
theSteam likes this.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by frg View Post
Nowhere, it is just a typo in the file name...
Incorrect.

(By the way, I originally downloaded RX-Z7 firmware version V123 in March of 2013.)

Yet Yamaha's site has this new firmware listed as V123 right up until one goes to the actual download page and license agreement, then it correctly shows the latest update as V125! Below I have copied and pasted from the Yamaha page (in bold):

RX-Z7 Firmware Update Version 1.23

Yamaha is pleased to offer the following firmware update to ensure the best possible performance and latest features for your AV receiver.
This firmware
1. Improves connectivity of network music streaming services

CHECK THE UNIT’S FIRMWARE VERSION PRIOR TO THIS UPDATE
While pressing the STRAIGHT button, press (and release) the MASTER ON/OFF button and then keep pressing the STRAIGHT key until “ADVANCED SETUP” appears on the front panel display.
(Note: “ADVANCED SETUP” is only displayed for a few seconds.)
Rotate the PROGRAM selector counterclockwise to select “VERSION”.

If your firmware version is 1.23 or higher, the AV receiver is already up-to-date.
If not, conduct firmware update by following the instruction.

Registered Date : 11/21/2014
Language : English
Size : 8.21 MB

Related Download

You also need to download these files.
  • RX-Z7 Firmware Update Version 1.23_Installation_Manual

License Agreement

ATTENTION

PLEASE READ THIS SOFTWARE LICENSE AGREEMENT ("AGREEMENT") CAREFULLY BEFORE USING THIS SOFTWARE. YOU ARE ONLY PERMITTED TO USE THIS SOFTWARE PURSUANT TO THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THIS AGREEMENT. THIS AGREEMENT IS BETWEEN YOU (AS AN INDIVIDUAL OR LEGAL ENTITY) AND YAMAHA CORPORATION ("YAMAHA").

BY DOWNLOADING OR INSTALLING THIS SOFTWARE OR OTHERWISE RENDERING IT AVAILABLE FOR YOUR USE, YOU ARE AGREEING TO BE BOUND BY THE TERMS OF THIS LICENSE. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE WITH THE TERMS, DO NOT DOWNLOAD, INSTALL, COPY, OR OTHERWISE USE THIS SOFTWARE. IF YOU HAVE DOWNLOADED OR INSTALLED THE SOFTWARE AND DO NOT AGREE TO THE TERMS, PROMPTLY DELETE THE SOFTWARE.

GRANT OF LICENSE AND COPYRIGHT

Yamaha hereby grants you the right to use the programs and data files composing the software accompanying this Agreement, and any programs and files for upgrading such software that may be distributed to you in the future with terms and conditions attached (collectively, “SOFTWARE”), only on a computer, musical instrument or equipment item that you yourself own or manage. While ownership of the storage media in which the SOFTWARE is stored rests with you, the SOFTWARE itself is owned by Yamaha and/or Yamaha’s licensor(s), and is protected by relevant copyright laws and all applicable treaty provisions.

RESTRICTIONS

• You may not engage in reverse engineering, disassembly, decompilation or otherwise deriving a source code form of the SOFTWARE by any method whatsoever.
  • You may not reproduce, modify, change, rent, lease, or distribute the SOFTWARE in whole or in part, or create derivative works of the SOFTWARE.
  • You may not electronically transmit the SOFTWARE from one computer to another or share the SOFTWARE in a network with other computers.
  • You may not use the SOFTWARE to distribute illegal data or data that violates public policy.
  • You may not initiate services based on the use of the SOFTWARE without permission by Yamaha Corporation.
Copyrighted data, including but not limited to MIDI data for songs, obtained by means of the SOFTWARE, are subject to the following restrictions which you must observe.
  • Data received by means of the SOFTWARE may not be used for any commercial purposes without permission of the copyright owner.
  • Data received by means of the SOFTWARE may not be duplicated, transferred, or distributed, or played back or performed for listeners in public without permission of the copyright owner.
  • The encryption of data received by means of the SOFTWARE may not be removed nor may the electronic watermark be modified without permission of the copyright owner.

TERMINATION

If any copyright law or provisions of this Agreement is violated, the Agreement shall terminate automatically and immediately without notice from Yamaha. Upon such termination, you must immediately destroy the licensed SOFTWARE, any accompanying written documents and all copies thereof.

DOWNLOADED SOFTWARE

If you believe that the downloading process was faulty, you may contact Yamaha, and Yamaha shall permit you to re-download the SOFTWARE, provided that you first destroy any copies or partial copies of the SOFTWARE that you obtained through your previous download attempt. This permission to re-download shall not limit in any manner the disclaimer of warranty set forth in Section 5 below.

DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTY ON SOFTWARE

You expressly acknowledge and agree that use of the SOFTWARE is at your sole risk. The SOFTWARE and related documentation are provided "AS IS" and without warranty of any kind. NOTWITHSTANDING ANY OTHER PROVISION OF THIS AGREEMENT, YAMAHA EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES AS TO THE SOFTWARE, EXPRESS, AND IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTY RIGHTS. SPECIFICALLY, BUT WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, YAMAHA DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THE SOFTWARE WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS, THAT THE OPERATION OF THE SOFTWARE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR-FREE, OR THAT DEFECTS IN THE SOFTWARE WILL BE CORRECTED.

LIMITATION OF LIABILITY

YAMAHA’S ENTIRE OBLIGATION HEREUNDER SHALL BE TO PERMIT USE OF THE SOFTWARE UNDER THE TERMS HEREOF. IN NO EVENT SHALL YAMAHA BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON FOR ANY DAMAGES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, EXPENSES, LOST PROFITS, LOST DATA OR OTHER DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THE USE, MISUSE OR INABILITY TO USE THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF YAMAHA OR AN AUTHORIZED DEALER HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. In no event shall Yamaha's total liability to you for all damages, losses and causes of action (whether in contract, tort or otherwise) exceed the amount paid for the SOFTWARE.

THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE

Third party software and data ("THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE") may be attached to the SOFTWARE. If, in the written materials or the electronic data accompanying the Software, Yamaha identifies any software and data as THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE, you acknowledge and agree that you must abide by the provisions of any Agreement provided with the THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE and that the party providing the THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE is responsible for any warranty or liability related to or arising from the THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE. Yamaha is not responsible in any way for the THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE or your use thereof.
  • Yamaha provides no express warranties as to the THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE. IN ADDITION, YAMAHA EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, as to the THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE.
  • Yamaha shall not provide you with any service or maintenance as to the THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE.
  • Yamaha is not liable to you or any other person for any damages, including, without limitation, any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages, expenses, lost profits, lost data or other damages arising out of the use, misuse or inability to use the THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE.

U.S. GOVERNMENT RESTRICTED RIGHTS NOTICE:

The Software is a "commercial item," as that term is defined at 48 C.F.R. 2.101 (Oct 1995), consisting of "commercial computer software" and "commercial computer software documentation," as such terms are used in 48 C.F.R. 12.212 (Sept 1995). Consistent with 48 C.F.R. 12.212 and 48 C.F.R. 227.7202-1 through 227.72024 (June 1995), all U.S. Government End Users shall acquire the Software with only those rights set forth herein

GENERAL

This Agreement shall be interpreted according to and governed by Japanese law without reference to principles of conflict of laws. Any dispute or procedure shall be heard before the Tokyo District Court in Japan. If for any reason a court of competent jurisdiction finds any portion of this Agreement to be unenforceable, the remainder of this Agreement shall continue in full force and effect.

COMPLETE AGREEMENT

This Agreement constitutes the entire agreement between the parties with respect to use of the SOFTWARE and any accompanying written materials and supersedes all prior or contemporaneous understandings or agreements, written or oral, regarding the subject matter of this Agreement. No amendment or revision of this Agreement will be binding unless in writing and signed by a fully authorized representative of Yamaha.

Yes, I agree

• RXZ7_V125.zip (8.21 MB)

Downloaded and unzipped, the file name is indeed "RXZ7-0125.bin".
theSteam likes this.

Best regards,
Lloyd C.

Last edited by Lloyd-TX; 12-03-2014 at 06:51 AM.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSteam View Post
When I went to here... http://download.yamaha.com/search/pr...uct_id=1011474
It only lists RX-Z7 Firmware Update Version 1.23. Not 1.25. Can you tell me where you went to get 1.25, please?
I also only see Firmware Update Version 1.23, no 1.25. That's updating via internet directly from the RX-Z7 panel.

Regardless of what the file may be called, can you confirm what firmware version the updated unit reports as installed.
theSteam likes this.

Last edited by Artjohn; 12-03-2014 at 07:22 AM.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artjohn View Post
Regardless of what the file may be called, can you confirm what firmware version the updated unit reports as installed.
Good idea. I'm currently at work, but I'll make a note to double-check what my Z7 indicates as it's current firmware version when I get home this evening.

Best regards,
Lloyd C.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd-TX View Post
Good idea. I'm currently at work, but I'll make a note to double-check what my Z7 indicates as it's current firmware version when I get home this evening.
Thanks Lloyd, I'll look for the reply

I downloaded the bin file to a USB thumb, but actually performed the update directly via the wired internet connection to the unit; it ran the update, (took about 10 minutes), won't run another, and now reports firmware revision as 1.23.

Last edited by Artjohn; 12-03-2014 at 02:09 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 12-03-2014, 08:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Thanks Lloyd, I'll look for the reply

I downloaded the bin file to a USB thumb, but actually performed the update directly via internet from the unit; it run an update, (took about 10 minutes) won't run another, and reports firmware revision 1.23.
No problem at all. Glad to check, and I'm certainly curious as well.

Best regards,
Lloyd C.

Old 12-03-2014, 12:04 PM
frg

I am present on the French forum homecinema-fr.com as well.

Over there, a guy downloaded the file named 125, and installed it, via USB.
After the update, the amplifier reported v1.23.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:06 PM
frg

Quote:
Incorrect.

(By the way, I originally downloaded RX-Z7 firmware version V123 in March of 2013.)
Did you update from that file then?
If you did, what version did your Z7 report, after it was completed?
Old 12-03-2014, 12:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
I definitely updated from that file VIA USB, but unfortunately, I do not recall the version reported by the Z7 . . .

Best regards,
Lloyd C.

Old 12-03-2014, 12:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
I am present on the French forum homecinema-fr.com as well.

Over there, a guy downloaded the file named 125, and installed it, via USB.
After the update, the amplifier reported v1.23.
And I have a suspicion that mine will indicate 1.23 as well.

Best regards,
Lloyd C.

Old 12-04-2014, 06:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Question

Quote:
My RX-Z7 indeed reports firmware version 1.23 . . .

I've no idea what that old March 2013 1.23 version actually was . . .

Best regards,
Lloyd C.

Old 12-04-2014, 07:30 AM

Quote:
My RX-Z7 indeed reports firmware version 1.23 . . .

I've no idea what that old March 2013 1.23 version actually was . . .
Yep, that was your suspicion yesterday.

So, the latest firmware dated 11/21/2014 contained in file "RXZ7-0125.bin", whether downloaded to and installed from a USB jump drive, or downloaded via direct internet connection and installed that way, is Ver 1.23.

Got it, perfectly clear.

Last edited by Artjohn; 12-04-2014 at 07:37 AM. Reason: fix typos
Old 12-04-2014, 08:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Yep, that was your suspicion yesterday.

So, the latest firmware dated 11/21/2014 contained in file "RXZ7-0125.bin", whether downloaded to and installed from a USB jump drive, or downloaded via direct internet connection and installed that way, is Ver 1.23.

Got it, perfectly clear.
Yessir - clear as mud!

Best regards,
Lloyd C.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Interesting TiVo HD audio dropout (also) fixed, but via Xbox One

Quote:
For what it's worth . . .

For years, yes - YEARS - I've had a problem with HDMI related dropouts with my setup.

NO dropouts when watching blu-rays on my Oppo (HDMI to RX-Z7 & HDMI to Panasonic TCP-65V10 display), and NO dropouts when watching a DVD from my Sony 400-disc changer (component to RX-Z7), but consistently having issues when watching SD or HD cable programs through my Comcast SA8300HDC STB (HDMI to RX-Z7). If I told you everything I've tried to cure this you wouldn't believe me. BUT, I hated the thought of leaving the one-cable connection world.

After spending MORE money changing all of my HDMI cables over to the Monoprice "Redmere" cables with no luck, I was just about to throw in the towel. Did a LOT more reading here on the Forums and decided to double-check the video settings on my RX-Z7 one last time. Ah-hah! I switched the "HDMI-to-HDMI" video signal processing setting from "Processing" to "Through".

Voila! So far so good, and it's been nearly a week since I made the change. Still keeping my fingers crossed, but I believe it's truly fixed now! Whew!
I'm going to have to take a look at mine when I get home, but my experience (yes, years & years!) was similar. Everything worked just fine except my TiVo HD was not able to be set to Dolby 5.1 without an insufferable number of audio dropouts. (PCM worked fine) Enter the Xbox One... Since it is designed to be placed between the cablebox (in my case the TiVo) & the receiver, I'm able to set the TiVo to Dolby 5.1 & it has worked fine. So, I'm not sure if turning off the HDMI processing has any unintended effects (upscaling etc?) but you know I probably would have spent the $329 to fix it & just call the Game console a "bonus" in the deal.

I just wish it would work as advertized.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:25 AM

Hi all,

My hard drive crashed and I lost my copy of receiver manager for the rx-z7. The link in this thread is dead and I can't seem to find it anywhere. Does anyone have a copy or can point mt in the right direction to get it?

Thanks,

Tim
Old 05-03-2015, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepcold View Post
Hi all,

My hard drive crashed and I lost my copy of receiver manager for the rx-z7. The link in this thread is dead and I can't seem to find it anywhere. Does anyone have a copy or can point mt in the right direction to get it?

Thanks,

Tim
I can send it to you (RX-Z7 Receiver Manager.exe). PM me with your email address.
Old 05-03-2015, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougSmith View Post
I can send it to you (RX-Z7 Receiver Manager.exe). PM me with your email address.
Hi Doug, it appears you have to have 15 posts to be able to PM. So if you can send it to cryomag12@gmail.com that would be great...I really appreciate it..

Thanks

Tim
Old 06-04-2015, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm very happy with my Z7, but now, it give me a big disappoint.
Which the startup, the receiver are going to protection mode every time, impossible to run.
I sent it to a hifi technician, and now he can't to find the issue.
He say maybe I need to change the CPU Motherboard

Can you help me?