The "official" The Onkyo TX-SR706 Owners Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 2825 Old 12-09-2008, 05:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just received my refurb 706 last night and I must say that so far so good. The receiver looks brand new. It still had all the stickers on it and everything.

I can't comment on component to HDMI conversion since everything I have is HDMI but I can say that Audessey worked flawlessly the first time and I haven't had any heat issues yet.

Samsung LN-T3242H
Onkyo SR-706 A/V Receiver
XBOX 360 w/HD DVD add-on
PS3 for Blu-Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 2825 Old 12-09-2008, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imac Convert View Post

I just received my refurb 706 last night and I must say that so far so good. The receiver looks brand new. It still had all the stickers on it and everything.

I can't comment on component to HDMI conversion since everything I have is HDMI but I can say that Audessey worked flawlessly the first time and I haven't had any heat issues yet.

My exact experience as well - received mine yesterday (silver refurb). Connected to TV via HDMI cable only. At the moment have 3 HDMI sources and one component source (XBox 360) which is not upconverted (will be getting HDMI-capable 360 back from Microsoft soon). No issues with the display, and Audessey also worked fine for me.

Very pleased so far with this - not bad for $350!
post #273 of 2825 Old 12-09-2008, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatse View Post

I don't understand when people make these statements. To my eyes and many others HD image is like night and day compared to SD dvds. The colors pop and the images are much sharper, SD looks like some faded mess compared to it.

I make the statement because it is true. However, I have an OPPO 981 that upscales beautifully and a 720p 52" HDTV, so I am not seeing 1080p. When I replace the TV in a few years with 1080p, then the difference may be more striking. The reply after mine indicated a similar experience.
Also, if you are viewing SD dvds with a Bluray player, most don't do that well at upscaling. I just got a Sony S350 for $190 that I am returning unopened after reading that SD DVDs looked dull on it. I'm not replacing my OPPO with a player that makes my hundreds of SD DVDs look dull.
post #274 of 2825 Old 12-09-2008, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techmine View Post

I can also do away without component upscaling but then what is the use of buying a receiver that cannot do its job? I think Onkyo should advertise accordingly then. I have not heard anything about other receivers that suck big time in upscaling then only Onkyo 706?

Actually, most reviews I've read of mid-range AVRs indicate that most of them do a poor job of upscaling, but the 706 is better than most. Typically, you'd have to go over $1000 and get something with a Reon chip to beat a decent HDTV at upscaling.
I've seen comments saying that the 706 has the same chip as the 606, but that is not true as the 706 has the F. Cinema and the 606 has the F. Edge. I can't find the specs on the chips used by OPPO for the 981 series; they just say Faroudja DCDi, so I can't compare.
You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Read this: http://hometheatermag.com/receivers/...eat/index.html
post #275 of 2825 Old 12-09-2008, 09:36 AM

One last device to hook up. JVC DR-MX1S (DVD/HDD/VHS Recorder).

Is it as simple as this:
  • Running Optical Out from JVC to Onkyo (page 26) shown as connection (c).
  • Running Component Video Out from JVC to Onkyo (page 26) shown as connection (A).

Will the HDMI cable from the Onkyo to my TV take care of everything else or is it even involved with the JVC hookup as explained above.

Anything else to do... (menu settings)? Just wanted clarification from you A/V guys before I started pulling my hair out.

Thanks.

Thanks,
Spartacus_33
My HT
post #276 of 2825 Old 12-09-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus_33 View Post

Is it as simple as this:
  • Running Component Video Out from JVC to Onkyo (page 26) shown as connection (A).

Will the HDMI cable from the Onkyo to my TV take care of everything else or is it even involved with the JVC hookup as explained above.

Anything else to do... (menu settings)? Just wanted clarification from you A/V guys before I started pulling my hair out.

Thanks.

That should be all you need as far as connections, assuming you do not need to record to your JVC from an external source. The HDMI connection from your Onkyo to your TV is the only connection you need to your TV. You do have to use the set up menu to make sure the corresponding 'digital in' for audio and 'component in' for video are correct for your device.
post #277 of 2825 Old 12-09-2008, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is it as simple as this:

Thanks.

The signals from your JVC DR-MX1S will pass to the TV via the HDMI cable. Set up the input per instructions on page 44 of the manual and set the output resolution per page 92.
post #278 of 2825 Old 12-09-2008, 10:45 AM

Thanks Allez & BMAG...... now hopefully I'll have better success than some others on this forum and avoid the blue screen and silence.

I think I have a pretty good solution for the heat issue. These guys just came out with a whisper silent fan powered via USB, pretty cool... pun intended!

http://www.coolerguys.com/840556088417.html

Thanks,
Spartacus_33
My HT
post #279 of 2825 Old 12-09-2008, 02:49 PM

Well... seems I ran into the same issue... I have sound through my speakers, (using optical) but just a blue screen. Decided to connect the old device's video (component) directly to TV... good enough for now.

Thanks,
Spartacus_33
My HT
post #280 of 2825 Old 12-09-2008, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajpmp5 View Post

I am also between the 606 and 706, I know this is the 706 thread mainly but my main concern is with the 606 1080i upscaling compared to the 706 of 1080p. I like to buy things once and do things the right way but am leery of the prices (a bit out of budget) for the 706. My gut says get the 706 but the wallet says 606 since this is my first HT set up. I am young and and have time to get bigger and better but with a plasma and big 1080p wanting guy should i just fork over the extra cash and bit the bullet? Thoughts for people in my predicament as well.

I think the real question is whether your TV will do better 1080i -> 1080p than the 706.
post #281 of 2825 Old 12-09-2008, 03:18 PM

Quote:

Well... seems I ran into the same issue... I have sound through my speakers, (using optical) but just a blue screen. Decided to connect the old device's video (component) directly to TV... good enough for now.

Which 'component in' on the receiver did you hook it up to? Did you check on the set up screen to see what that input is assigned to?
post #282 of 2825 Old 12-09-2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allez View Post

Which 'component in' on the receiver did you hook it up to? Did you check on the set up screen to see what that input is assigned to?

Well... after going back... sliding everything out again... I got it to work both audio and video, through the 706! yeah!

Previously, I was led astray by the labels on the back of the 706 for IN1 and IN2. These are labled CBL/SAT and DVD respectively. When I tried to set up CV on the on-screen menu I was only trying to set CBL/SAT and DVD. Neither worked.

I connected the CV cables to IN1 on the 706 and set the on-screen menu for VCR/DVR to IN1 and everything is cool. Thanks for not letting me slide on this one Allez.

So... looks like my 706 does work as designed so far. It was not one of the refurb units. I bought it from Newegg.

On another note: As mentioned previously, this device is a JVC VCR/HDD/DVD player/recorder. With my latest hookup, the HDD and DVD both work perfectly... but I got nuthin' from the VCR... (no video or audio) just a silent blue screen. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Spartacus_33
My HT
post #283 of 2825 Old 12-09-2008, 05:13 PM

I just ordered my Onkyo 706 from Amazon. Yeah!!
Even with all of the issues that have been brought up here I could not resist the features / price of this unit.

Ordered a set of the Definitive Tech. ProCinema 600s also.

I am planning to get speaker wire and HDMI cables from monoprice.com

What other accessories do you guys recommend? Banana clips?

I am setting this up for my brother who lives in Big Bear so I want to have everything with me before I make the trip up there.

He is going to upgrade to the HD DVR from Directv and we will be adding his existing phonograph and DVD player.

Thanks for your help!
post #284 of 2825 Old 12-09-2008, 05:30 PM

Quote:

Well... after going back... sliding everything out again... I got it to work both audio and video, through the 706! yeah!

[/color]

What TV do you have? Is there any upscaling involved in the setup? The issue of the blue screen happens when scaler of Onkyo comes into play. Also, what type of connection goes from receiver too TV? HDMI?

Well I am glad that everything works perfect for ya.
Enjoy.
post #285 of 2825 Old 12-09-2008, 05:38 PM

Quote:

Previously, I was led astray by the labels on the back of the 706 for IN1 and IN2. These are labled CBL/SAT and DVD respectively. When I tried to set up CV on the on-screen menu I was only trying to set CBL/SAT and DVD. Neither worked.

I connected the CV cables to IN1 on the 706 and set the on-screen menu for VCR/DVR to IN1 and everything is cool. Thanks for not letting me slide on this one Allez.

So... looks like my 706 does work as designed so far. It was not one of the refurb units. I bought it from Newegg.

On another note: As mentioned previously, this device is a VCR/HDD/DVD player/recorder. With my latest hookup, the HDD and DVD both work perfectly... but I got nuthin' from the VCR... (no video or audio) just a silent blue screen. Any ideas?

Glad it's working. I'm not sure about the VCR; do you get anything if you hook it up directly to the TV?
post #286 of 2825 Old 12-09-2008, 05:44 PM

Quote:

Glad it's working. I'm not sure about the VCR; do you get anything if you hook it up directly to the TV?

No...nothing works with the VCR even when connected directly to the TV. I actually don't use this device that much. Mostly to hook up my video camera and copy my tapes to DVD. Last time I used the VCR portion, a tape got stuck and wouldn't eject. When I hooked all this new stuff up... to my surprise the tape did eject... but now it doesn't work. I'll read the manual for that device and see if there is a setting that I'm missing.

Sorry about hijacking the thread. I know this is supposed to be about the 706. Good news for those of you still considering this machine... mine does work, even the Auddy.

Thanks,
Spartacus_33
My HT
post #287 of 2825 Old 12-09-2008, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerky View Post

Ordered a set of the Definitive Tech. ProCinema 600s also.

I am planning to get speaker wire and HDMI cables from monoprice.com

What other accessories do you guys recommend? Banana clips?

Thanks for your help!

Cool, I don't hear much about DT speakers. My mains are DT BP10s, love-em.

I bought my banana clips from monoprice too:
These are the ones I bought. $2.17/pair.

Heat seems to be an issue with the 706 for many people as well. I bought a couple of USB fans from the cooler guys. Plugs right into the back of my Sat. receiver.
These are the ones I bought. $12.95/each.

Thanks,
Spartacus_33
My HT
post #288 of 2825 Old 12-10-2008, 12:21 PM

Just got sr706 - am very impressed quite blown away. I had sr 605 briefly but this is way better imo - although in all fairness, this is my first decent system. Thanks to all for all the information and adv!

I have Comcast hd dvr box that doesnt output hdmi but dvi. When I connect this dvi to my receiver's HDMI, I noticed that it displayed an error message in the top half of the TV screen - something that said the hdmi signal has been compromised please use YPbYPr to connect. Has anyone else experienced it? I tried calling Comcast but at least the guy incharge last night wasnt able to offer much help. Is this a problem that can be corrected by a setting? Is this originating at my cable box or the receiver?

Also, when I connected via component and spdif for audio (actually since I was short on cable, I used one of the regular composite cable - is that ok to do till my cables arrive or should i refrain from doing so? - the video and audio were fine except after about 5 minutes of playing, the audio would go silent and the small graphic that shows the audio input in the receiver would show blank. If I however connected via stereo analog, things would work fine. Any ideas why I am experiencing the problem with optical and how can that be corrected?

z
post #289 of 2825 Old 12-10-2008, 01:05 PM

Congrats on the receiver. I have a Charter cable, Motorola Moxi HD DVR that has DVI instead of HDMI. I tried used a DVI to HDMI adaptor to connect to my receiver and that didnt work either. I read somewhere that its a very unreliable way to connect. I'm using component now and having no problems at all.
post #290 of 2825 Old 12-10-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justStarted View Post

Just got sr706 - am very impressed quite blown away. I had sr 605 briefly but this is way better imo - although in all fairness, this is my first decent system. Thanks to all for all the information and adv!

I have Comcast hd dvr box that doesnt output hdmi but dvi. When I connect this dvi to my receiver's HDMI, I noticed that it displayed an error message in the top half of the TV screen - something that said the hdmi signal has been compromised please use YPbYPr to connect. Has anyone else experienced it? I tried calling Comcast but at least the guy incharge last night wasnt able to offer much help. Is this a problem that can be corrected by a setting? Is this originating at my cable box or the receiver?

Also, when I connected via component and spdif for audio (actually since I was short on cable, I used one of the regular composite cable - is that ok to do till my cables arrive or should i refrain from doing so? - the video and audio were fine except after about 5 minutes of playing, the audio would go silent and the small graphic that shows the audio input in the receiver would show blank. If I however connected via stereo analog, things would work fine. Any ideas why I am experiencing the problem with optical and how can that be corrected?

z

I'm not sure about your DVI>HDMI problem, but does it matter what order the cable box and receiver are turned on?

Regarding your optical problem, have you tried a different optical cable? Does it occur with the other optical inputs on the receiver?
post #291 of 2825 Old 12-10-2008, 01:53 PM

Quote:

I'm not sure about your DVI>HDMI problem, but does it matter what order the cable box and receiver are turned on?

Regarding your optical problem, have you tried a different optical cable? Does it occur with the other optical inputs on the receiver?

No it doesnt occur with other optical input in the system. My DVD goes to Coax-1 which works fine. DVR goes to Coax-2.

I will retry with the order of turning these on and retry with a different cable. I will also try to put dvr audio into Coax -1 to see if it is a problem with the Coax 2. Thanks for the help.
post #292 of 2825 Old 12-10-2008, 01:55 PM

Oh, I see. Maybe component is the way to go then. I will try contacting comcast to see if they have any newer models that output hdmi. Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffk_pennywise View Post

Congrats on the receiver. I have a Charter cable, Motorola Moxi HD DVR that has DVI instead of HDMI. I tried used a DVI to HDMI adaptor to connect to my receiver and that didnt work either. I read somewhere that its a very unreliable way to connect. I'm using component now and having no problems at all.

post #293 of 2825 Old 12-10-2008, 02:01 PM

Quote:

No it doesnt occur with other optical input in the system. My DVD goes to Coax-1 which works fine. DVR goes to Coax-2.

Is the input you're having a problem with an optical one or a coax one? I'm gathering that you're referring to a coax digital audio input instead of an optical one. If that's the case I don't think you can use a regular composite cable for that.
post #294 of 2825 Old 12-10-2008, 03:30 PM

My first 706 question. I love the receiver. Anyway, is there a mode higher then standby that allows video to pass through to the tv, but not have any sound or upconverting. Basicly, just want to cut down on wear and tear on the receiver and or connect more equipment, that i'm fine with just running tv sound. I don;t know, just seeing if there are alternate modes for this receiver that I missed. Thanks again
post #295 of 2825 Old 12-10-2008, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I will retry with the order of turning these on and retry with a different cable. I will also try to put dvr audio into Coax -1 to see if it is a problem with the Coax 2. Thanks for the help.

You seem to be using the term "optical" and "coax" like they are the same thing. They are both digital audio, but you must assign the correct inputs in the 706 for it to work properly.
I also believe that you can use the yellow composite video cable as a digital coax substitute, but not the composite audio cables.
post #296 of 2825 Old 12-10-2008, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukenk View Post

My first 706 question. I love the receiver. Anyway, is there a mode higher then standby that allows video to pass through to the tv, but not have any sound or upconverting. Basicly, just want to cut down on wear and tear on the receiver and or connect more equipment, that i'm fine with just running tv sound. I don;t know, just seeing if there are alternate modes for this receiver that I missed. Thanks again

Yes, but I can't find where to set it. However, that mode uses about 60% of full power ALL THE TIME, so you may want to reconsider. When you find out where to set it, check the top of the receiver after a few hours, and you will see that it will be warm.

Edit: I believe you set Power Control to Enable.
post #297 of 2825 Old 12-10-2008, 04:08 PM

When watching Band of Brothers on my PS3 hooked up to my 706 via HDMI the 706 defaults to the multi channel listening mode. Should I leave this? The PS3 is decoding the DTS-MA...
post #298 of 2825 Old 12-10-2008, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentq232 View Post

When watching Band of Brothers on my PS3 hooked up to my 706 via HDMI the 706 defaults to the multi channel listening mode. Should I leave this? The PS3 is decoding the DTS-MA...

Yes, that is correct and you will be hearing the HD audio.
post #299 of 2825 Old 12-10-2008, 06:06 PM

In investigating the Onkyo TX-SR705S, I read that it downconverts 1080i signals over component to 720p. Does the 706 do the same thing? If so, is there a way to selectively turn this off or is there no option?

Also, should this be a factor in deciding between the two or another brand?
post #300 of 2825 Old 12-11-2008, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

No, the 706 does not down convert component. If HDMI is left in the Through mode, it will pass whatever it gets unmolested. The 606 will pass up through 1080i from component.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo , Onkyo Tx Sr706 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver Black , Onkyo Tx Sr605 Receiver , Toshiba , Toshiba 52hm84 120 Watt Tv Lamp Replacement
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page