post #361 of 2825 Old 12-16-2008, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imac Convert View Post

When I ran Audessey it set my mains (Monitor 50's) to Full Band so I left it. The sub level was set to -1 db and to 120 khz so I left that as well.

But even with the mains set to full band, wouldn't the sub still get all the LFE?

I'll try setting the mains to 60 hz and see what happens.

Yes, sub would still get LFE, but it depends how much bass was actually mixed in the LFE vs the front channels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 2825 Old 12-16-2008, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

When I ran Audessey it set my mains (Monitor 50's) to Full Band so I left it. The sub level was set to -1 db and to 120 khz so I left that as well.

But even with the mains set to full band, wouldn't the sub still get all the LFE?

I'll try setting the mains to 60 hz and see what happens.

Hi, I have a couple quick suggestions.

Try setting all your crossovers to 80Hz, including your front speakers.

LP setting at 120, as you mentioned.

If your Sub has a crossover as well, disable it or set it as high as it will go. It may conflict with the crossover on your AVR.

Connect a Y adapter from the interconnect to the L and R inputs on your sub, if it allows this.

Hope this helps.

A Nice Radio Station with Great Music. For Those That Like That Sort of Thing: RadioParadise.com

post #363 of 2825 Old 12-16-2008, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhskyTangoFoxtrt View Post

Hi, I have a couple quick suggestions.

Try setting all your crossovers to 80Hz, including your front speakers.

LP setting at 120, as you mentioned.

If your Sub has a crossover as well, disable it or set it as high as it will go. It may conflict with the crossover on your AVR.

Connect a Y adapter from the interconnect to the L and R inputs on your sub, if it allows this.

Hope this helps.

Imac Convert,
I still think your Auto On circuitry is failing, but please let us know if the good suggestions above from WTF resolve the problem.
post #364 of 2825 Old 12-16-2008, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post

Imac Convert,
I still think your Auto On circuitry is failing, but please let us know if the good suggestions above from WTF resolve the problem.

Yes, I thank everyone for posting their suggestions. I'm at work now, so when I get home later I will post the results.

It could very well be that the Auto-On circuitry is failing but I find it odd that I just upgraded, a week ago, from an SR-605 and I never once had the sub lose it's signal.

Samsung LN-T3242H
Onkyo SR-706 A/V Receiver
XBOX 360 w/HD DVD add-on
PS3 for Blu-Ray
post #365 of 2825 Old 12-16-2008, 06:56 PM

Quote:

Yes, I thank everyone for posting their suggestions. I'm at work now, so when I get home later I will post the results.

It could very well be that the Auto-On circuitry is failing but I find it odd that I just upgraded, a week ago, from an SR-605 and I never once had the sub lose it's signal.

Well it seems as though it was a faulty cable going to the sub. Also the suggestion of changing the mains to small made a world of difference.

I love the Onkyo 706. Sounds great in my small home theatre set up.

Samsung LN-T3242H
Onkyo SR-706 A/V Receiver
XBOX 360 w/HD DVD add-on
PS3 for Blu-Ray
post #366 of 2825 Old 12-17-2008, 02:50 PM

After tons of research I'm down to the TX-SR706 and the Pioneer VSX-1018AH as my two options for a receiver to replace my aging Yamaha. Would love to hear the group's opinions on one vs. the other.

Just FYI, I'll be feeding it with Blu Ray DVD, SD DVD, Dish HD and Apple TV via HDMI. Thx.
post #367 of 2825 Old 12-17-2008, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasv View Post

After tons of research I'm down to the TX-SR706 and the Pioneer VSX-1018AH as my two options for a receiver to replace my aging Yamaha. Would love to hear the group's opinions on one vs. the other.

Just FYI, I'll be feeding it with Blu Ray DVD, SD DVD, Dish HD and Apple TV via HDMI. Thx.

If I understand correctly, you will need 4 HDMI inputs. Skimming over the Pioneer, I believe that it only has 3 while the 706 has 4 inputs for your sources.

Ultimately, the following preferences would seal the deal for me in favor of the 706.

-THX Select2 Plus certification
-Audyssey Laboratories' MultEQ six-point auto setup and room calibration system (microphone included)
-Audyssey Dynamic EQ™ for fuller sound at lower listening levels
-Back surround speaker channels re-assignable for bi-amping front left and right speakers.
-Pure Audio mode
-1080p-compatible HDMI digital video switching (4 in, 1 out)
-1080p video upconversion with Faroudja DCDi Cinema Enhancement for all non-HD sources (upconverted video available through HDMI output only)
-HDMI version 1.3a with support for Deep Color, x.v.Color, auto lip-sync,

Noticed that the 706 also has a 2 year warranty. The Pioneer is covered for one, if that matters to you.

A Nice Radio Station with Great Music. For Those That Like That Sort of Thing: RadioParadise.com

post #368 of 2825 Old 12-17-2008, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasv View Post

I think you will be happy with either, but features go to the 706.
post #369 of 2825 Old 12-18-2008, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhskyTangoFoxtrt View Post

If I understand correctly, you will need 4 HDMI inputs. Skimming over the Pioneer, I believe that it only has 3 while the 706 has 4 inputs for your sources.

Ultimately, the following preferences would seal the deal for me in favor of the 706. ...

Thanks for your input. I may be dropping the SD DVD from the list so 3 HDMI inputs will do. Also leaning towards the 706, but I've seen a lot of posts her and elsewhere describing various issues (buzzing, overheating, etc.) which is making me pause. I guess I'll jump in and see how it goes
post #370 of 2825 Old 12-18-2008, 11:15 PM

Hi all - Just got this unit this week and finally started setting it up tonight...ran into a snag and would appreciate some advice.

I've not done the speaker set up yet, I'll do that in the next few days. But my first priority is getting all my equipment to work with it.

Hooked into it is:
DTV HD DVR - via HDMI
Panasonic BR 35 - via HDMI
CD Juke Box - via Optical
Wii - via Component cables
Xbox360 (an original one, so no HDMI) via component with an optical audio.

The Wii and Blu Ray are new, so I haven't even tried them yet.

The DVR is working fine, as is the CD.

But I can only get video from the xbox360, but no audio. Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Since there's just one "game" slot, I took over "tape" and renamed it "xbox360". I assigned the video to come from Component #2, and the audio from Optical #1... where things are plugged in.

But I get no audio, while the video is fine. I don't see any setting on the 360 itself, other than to tell it I'm doing DD 5.1... so what am I missing?

The xbox used to be connected directly to my TV, so this is the first time I've tried to put the sound through my system. I've got the optical cable connected to the xbox component cable and then directly to the receiver.

Any advice would sure be appreciated.

I'll take a crack at the BR and Wii in the next few days, but I figured I should start with the things I know how to work. Theoretically. :-)

Thanks
post #371 of 2825 Old 12-19-2008, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_M View Post

Hi all - Just got this unit this week and finally started setting it up tonight...ran into a snag and would appreciate some advice.

I've not done the speaker set up yet, I'll do that in the next few days. But my first priority is getting all my equipment to work with it.

Hooked into it is:
DTV HD DVR - via HDMI

But I can only get video from the xbox360, but no audio. Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Since there's just one "game" slot, I took over "tape" and renamed it "xbox360". I assigned the video to come from Component #2, and the audio from Optical #1... where things are plugged in.

But I get no audio, while the video is fine. I don't see any setting on the 360 itself, other than to tell it I'm doing DD 5.1... so what am I missing?

The xbox used to be connected directly to my TV, so this is the first time I've tried to put the sound through my system. I've got the optical cable connected to the xbox component cable and then directly to the receiver.

I'll take a crack at the BR and Wii in the next few days, but I figured I should start with the things I know how to work. Theoretically. :-)

Thanks

Did you change the 'digital audio input' under setup to make 'tape' use 'optical 1'?
post #372 of 2825 Old 12-19-2008, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allez View Post

Did you change the 'digital audio input' under setup to make 'tape' use 'optical 1'?

Yes, I did.
post #373 of 2825 Old 12-19-2008, 04:36 AM

Quote:

Yes, I did.

That's really weird. I had the same type of 360 set up, and I didn't change any particular setting on the xbox. Does your receiver display anything when the 360 is on?
post #374 of 2825 Old 12-19-2008, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hooked into it is:
DTV HD DVR - via HDMI

Thanks

Frank,

Couple suggestions you can try.

Take a look at Pg. 96 of your instruction manual addressing Digital inputs. Make sure that you push the tape input and then press digital input on the receiver a couple times to select OPT1(auto). Tape input might be analog by default.

Second, hold the digital input button for 3 seconds and select DTS or auto

And I'm sure that you've already tried this, but you might also switch to another input and switched optical cables to troubleshoot your connection.

Hope this works for you.

(check your receiver to verify that it is displaying Digital on the screen when connected by the optical cable.)

post #375 of 2825 Old 12-19-2008, 06:33 AM

Unplug the optical cable from the receiver and hold it close to your hand. If you cant see red light, it may be your Xbox thats not setup properly or a bad cable. That would be a quick way to troubleshoot half your components.
post #376 of 2825 Old 12-19-2008, 11:34 AM

Ok, good/bad news.

The bad news I am having the same problem with the Wii.. video but no audio.

The good news is, I figure this means it's absolutely something I'm doing wrong rather than any device/cable failing. I just can't figure out what.

The Blu Ray setup went off without a hitch. It looks/sounds great.

But I still can't get audio from either gaming console.

I've got the XBOX going in through component #2, with the audio in optical #1. I've set both up that way in setup. I did pull the optical cable out from the receiver, and I do see the red light, so I know it's sending info.

The Wii, I've got that in component #1, with the analog cables connected through "game". I didn't and don't see anyway to tell the receiver that audio is there... so maybe that's why that's not working?

I'm sure it's something simple, but going through the manual I just don't see what I'm missing.
post #377 of 2825 Old 12-19-2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:

Ok, good/bad news.

The good news is, I figure this means it's absolutely something I'm doing wrong rather than any device/cable failing. I just can't figure out what.

I've got the XBOX going in through component #2, with the audio in optical #1. I've set both up that way in setup. I did pull the optical cable out from the receiver, and I do see the red light, so I know it's sending info.

The Wii, I've got that in component #1, with the analog cables connected through "game". I didn't and don't see anyway to tell the receiver that audio is there... so maybe that's why that's not working?

I'm sure it's something simple, but going through the manual I just don't see what I'm missing.

Could you copy down what you have under the component video input and digital audio input menus for us? (Just the non-blank parts).
post #378 of 2825 Old 12-19-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:

Could you copy down what you have under the component video input and digital audio input menus for us? (Just the non-blank parts).

Component video inputs:
VCR/DVR ---- IN1 (that's the Wii)
Game/TV ----IN2 (that's the XBox)

Digital Audio
DVD ---- HDMI1 (My DVD player)
CBL/SAT --- HDMI2 (My DTV DVR)
Game/TV --- Opt1 (Xbox)
CD----- OPT2 (CD player)

CD Player, DVD Player, and DTV are all working great.
post #379 of 2825 Old 12-19-2008, 01:42 PM

A quick update... I got the Wii audio to work. I plugged the analog cables into the CD input on the 706, and then when I selected VCR/DVR I had the video, and then I hit the CD input and had the audio. I didn't know that you could have two things selected like that.

I was curious what that meant for my CD player (running through the optical input) but as soon as I turned the CD player on it took over the audio and ran fine.

So I guess that's the Wii solution? I suppose I could take the analog cables from the xbox and put them in "phono" and try that same thing... but I don't see why the optical set up wouldn't work.
post #380 of 2825 Old 12-19-2008, 01:46 PM

On page 96 of the manual it describes a method of automatically setting up the audio input for a given device. Looks like it could be worth a try.
post #381 of 2825 Old 12-19-2008, 03:00 PM

Quote:

On page 96 of the manual it describes a method of automatically setting up the audio input for a given device. Looks like it could be worth a try.

That didn't allow me to change anything, or at least the changes had no effect. I put the analog xbox cables through "tape" and set up that way.. and like the Wii, that seemed to do it.

It just means for both of the gaming systems I have to be running two things at once. No big deal for me, but I just need to create macros for the remote or just do it via my Pronto.

Still would like to know how to get the optical setting to work, or how to associate the analog with the desired video without having to select them manually each time... but hey, they're working. So I'm going to move on for now.

Thanks to all for the suggestions and for letting me bounce stuff off of you.
post #382 of 2825 Old 12-19-2008, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok, good/bad news.

I also noticed that you have the Wii connected to IN1 and assigned to VCR/DVR and its audio connected via analog to the Game input selection.

Frank,

I think I see how you are confused. If I understand you correctly from this:

Component video inputs:
VCR/DVR ---- IN1 (that's the Wii)
Game/TV ----IN2 (that's the XBox)

Digital Audio
DVD ---- HDMI1 (My DVD player)
CBL/SAT --- HDMI2 (My DTV DVR)
Game/TV --- Opt1 (Xbox)
CD----- OPT2 (CD player)

...and from your previous posts, you're not assigning both your audio and video to the same input.

It looks like you have the Wii connected to the DVD (IN1) component connection, which you have reassigned to the VCR input on your remote and have the analog audio connected to Game for which you have two audio connections assigned, one optical (Xbox) and one analog (Wii). The receiver is looking for audio signal in this order, HDMI, Opt., Coax., analog, and will take the first signal it receives.

Analog inputs are not able to be reassigned, only digital connections are. Take a look again at the back of your receiver, and in particular to the labels of the inputs. When you press an input selection on your remote, the receiver will take the analog signal from it's labeled input on the back, unless the Onkyo detects a Digital audio signal such as HDMI, Opt. or Coax first. This would explain why you get no sound from your Wii when you select the Game input on your remote.

Hope it helps.

post #383 of 2825 Old 12-19-2008, 07:06 PM

I get blue artifacts showing up on PS3 and when I run my Computer through the 706. People have hinted that this is a heat issue I think. But I don't get it when I watch directv. Even on the PS3 its not everything, seems like just some games. On the computer I did seem to fix it by using older ati drviers(8.09). But when the Ps3 issue showed up I thought it might not be just a driver issue. Also I run a WII though component and then HDMI out I get a blue screen when in menu mode as soon as I'm in a game its fine. The WII menu mode is dimmer. Never had any of these problems on the 605. Any Ideas

Thanks
post #384 of 2825 Old 12-19-2008, 10:32 PM

I need some advice. I have read the thread in these forums for the Onkyo HT-S9100THX (which bundles 7.1 speaker setup w/ the Onkyo 606) and have been very impressed by how many people love this system. I'm not sure whether to go ahead and purchase this system, or buy an Onkyo 606 or 706 by itself and get some separate speakers to go with it. If the latter, I definitely want the cost to stay within what I would pay for the HT-S9100THX (which I've seen for around $850 right now)

I'm definitely settled on the 606 or 706 (primarily b/c of the 4 HDMI inputs - I know, that's a stupid reason to want it). Are there any good HTIB systems that bundle the 706 with them? If anybody knows, please pass along any info/links. Thoughts, opinions are welcome!
post #385 of 2825 Old 12-20-2008, 12:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by confuxion View Post

I need some advice. I have read the thread in these forums for the Onkyo HT-S9100THX (which bundles 7.1 speaker setup w/ the Onkyo 606) and have been very impressed by how many people love this system. I'm not sure whether to go ahead and purchase this system, or buy an Onkyo 606 or 706 by itself and get some separate speakers to go with it. If the latter, I definitely want the cost to stay within what I would pay for the HT-S9100THX (which I've seen for around $850 right now)

I'm definitely settled on the 606 or 706 (primarily b/c of the 4 HDMI inputs - I know, that's a stupid reason to want it). Are there any good HTIB systems that bundle the 706 with them? If anybody knows, please pass along any info/links. Thoughts, opinions are welcome!

If you're budget is $850 for the system get the 606 which should leave you $500ish for speakers. Better speaker than what is included in an HTIB package will get you far better performance than the difference in receivers.
post #386 of 2825 Old 12-20-2008, 04:26 PM

Just received my 706 Yesterday, I'm running my sat box in GBR comp. out hdmi to TV Sam.61 led DLP , is it suppose to upconvert? I switched the setting back and forth between 480p - 1080p no difference (to my eyes anyway) so I left it on 720p. I also noticed the I have to turn the volume way up (-db) to get the same listening level as my old Yam. 457, especially on DVD's, (Optical Audio) is there something I'm missing on setup or is this just how the volume on this receiver is? I like the receiver so far , alot of options , really too many for me , don't know what to put anything on , so I listening to my sat. on all channel stereo. And DVD's I have no idea yet on what to put it on. Still learning though. I think I' going to have to put a com. fan on it , it does run rather warm. But with the stand(glass) I have, its only got 2in. clearance on top but open on all sides. Is this going to be a problem, or would you recommend to put a com. fan blowing across the top? Any comments welcome. This forum has help a lot. I've read a lot so this is my first post.
post #387 of 2825 Old 12-20-2008, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titleist1 View Post

I also noticed the I have to turn the volume way up (-db) to get the same listening level as my old Yam. 457, especially on DVD's, (Optical Audio) is there something I'm missing on setup or is this just how the volume on this receiver is?

You should run the Audyssey set up - it made a big difference for me.
post #388 of 2825 Old 12-20-2008, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titleist1 View Post

I think I' going to have to put a com. fan on it , it does run rather warm. But with the stand(glass) I have, its only got 2in. clearance on top but open on all sides. Is this going to be a problem, or would you recommend to put a com. fan blowing across the top?

I have mine in a stand open front and back, but very little clearance to the sides. I have 3 inches clearance on top. So far I haven't had any problems; if yours is open front, back, and sides you might be OK.
post #389 of 2825 Old 12-20-2008, 04:48 PM

I did run the Audyssey set up and it did help but I have to turn volume up to -28 on DVD's to get about the same volume I had at -42 on Yah. Which is really no big deal I guess , but if my max volume is +17 , thats tuning it way up in my opinion.I not even sure what max vol. reading is but I think the manual said it somewhere. And at -28 thats not even really getting the movie going , just nice volume so I can get the voices heard good. Even the whispers.
post #390 of 2825 Old 12-21-2008, 03:31 AM

Just set up my new system:
Panny TH 50PZ85U
Onkyo 706
Energy C500 mains, CC50 center
Panny DMP BD35K Blu ray disc player

System is fantastic, watched Dark Knight last night and was in heaven. Anyway, now would like to play music from my iPod. Realize Onkyo has a dock - the DS-A2X which besides fact it gets only so so reviews (poor OSD being biggest gripe), I can't locate one anywhere. Is that my only choice or can I connect a 3rd party dock (non Onkyo) to my 706 and if yes what are the pros and cons? If you still believe worthwhile to go 3rd party would appreciate recommendation re brand/model. Thanks for your help.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo , Onkyo Tx Sr706 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver Black , Onkyo Tx Sr605 Receiver , Toshiba , Toshiba 52hm84 120 Watt Tv Lamp Replacement
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page