Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 2828 Old 01-03-2009, 08:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin_Jason View Post

Thinking about getting this receiver but kinda worried about some of the issues in here. Then again most all electronics will have their day. So are people still recommending these? It's either this or a comparable denon.

I think most issues are from refurb units. Mine along with many others have been perfect. Sometimes you get what you pay for.
I absolutely LOVE mine.

Thanks,
Spartacus_33

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 2828 Old 01-03-2009, 08:53 PM

Makes me feel a little better. I know they run hot, so I would either run a cpu fan or keep the receiver open. I would be buying new anyways which is something I don't do often. Either from crutchfield for $750 or local the best they can do is $815, ouch! Oh well if it's worth the money I will suck it up.
post #453 of 2828 Old 01-03-2009, 11:13 PM

Quote:

Makes me feel a little better. I know they run hot, so I would either run a cpu fan or keep the receiver open. I would be buying new anyways which is something I don't do often. Either from crutchfield for $750 or local the best they can do is $815, ouch! Oh well if it's worth the money I will suck it up.

You shouldn't have to pay that much. I got mine from newegg.com the day after Thanksgiving for $479... brand new.

I bought a usb fan from the coolerguys for less than $13.00, the link is here.

I have about 2 inches of clearance between the top of my 706 and the glass shelf above it. After several hours of use, I can tell you there is no apparent heat on the bottom of the shelf above the 706. I'm not even sure the fan was necessary. Lot of drama on this discussion.

Thanks,
Spartacus_33

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #454 of 2828 Old 01-04-2009, 12:59 AM
lmh

Quote:
Originally Posted by justStarted View Post

Just got sr706 - am very impressed quite blown away. I had sr 605 briefly but this is way better imo - although in all fairness, this is my first decent system. Thanks to all for all the information and adv!

I have Comcast hd dvr box that doesnt output hdmi but dvi. When I connect this dvi to my receiver's HDMI, I noticed that it displayed an error message in the top half of the TV screen - something that said the hdmi signal has been compromised please use YPbYPr to connect. Has anyone else experienced it? I tried calling Comcast but at least the guy incharge last night wasnt able to offer much help. Is this a problem that can be corrected by a setting? Is this originating at my cable box or the receiver?

Also, when I connected via component and spdif for audio (actually since I was short on cable, I used one of the regular composite cable - is that ok to do till my cables arrive or should i refrain from doing so? - the video and audio were fine except after about 5 minutes of playing, the audio would go silent and the small graphic that shows the audio input in the receiver would show blank. If I however connected via stereo analog, things would work fine. Any ideas why I am experiencing the problem with optical and how can that be corrected?

z

Optical cable is really sensitive to ANY contamination on the connector termination. If it is a high quality cable it should arrive very clean, so when you remove the protective cap, you need to get it into the connector ASAP. If you touch the termination with your fingers or anything that can transfer oils, dust, or any sort of contamination, you can cause problems. If any of this contamination transfers onto the optical receiving surface in the receiver, you can replace cables all day and not correct a possible contamination problem.
post #455 of 2828 Old 01-04-2009, 12:45 PM

I want to buy a Onkyo TX SR706 with Paradigm Monitor 9 v5 floorstanding speakers. How is this combination?
post #456 of 2828 Old 01-04-2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus_33 View Post

You shouldn't have to pay that much. I got mine from newegg.com the day after Thanksgiving for $479... brand new.

I bought a usb fan from the coolerguys for less than $13.00, the link is

I have about 2 inches of clearance between the top of my 706 and the glass shelf above it. After several hours of use, I can tell you there is no apparent heat on the bottom of the shelf above the 706. I'm not even sure the fan was necessary. Lot of drama on this discussion.

What did you plug it into? I guess your cable box or blue ray player? The onkyo 706 doesn't have a usb does it?

post #457 of 2828 Old 01-04-2009, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajordan99 View Post

What did you plug it into? I guess your cable box or blue ray player? The onkyo 706 doesn't have a usb does it?

The back of my Sat receiver has a USB. The fan is completely silent. I bought 2 fans just in case the first one burned out. Honestly though... my 706 really is not that "incredibly" hot. My Mitsubishi 65" TV is much hotter than the 706.

Thanks,
Spartacus_33

post #458 of 2828 Old 01-04-2009, 11:10 PM

Quote:

Don't spend that much. Dec 31 I bought one through Amazon sold by 6ave. The price was $491 with free shipping. They put these deals up for a day or three then cut it off. Keep searching trying different links. One link at Amazon was $569 but another Google link through Amazon was $507. I found mine by viewing other sellers of the same product at Amazon. The list went from over 600 down to the $491 and the sellers rep is good. An 880 Harmony remote can be found for $109 new.

Rod
post #459 of 2828 Old 01-05-2009, 11:00 AM

Don't forget I'm in Canada so the prices are cad, new from authorized dealers. I couldn't see anything on either newegg.ca or amazon.ca. I know the price is high but it's part of the deal.
post #460 of 2828 Old 01-05-2009, 01:47 PM

Hi, tell me plz can onkyo 706 matrix 5.1 dolby truehd and dts-hdma to 7.1? Thank you.
post #461 of 2828 Old 01-05-2009, 04:19 PM

I tried a while ago to have the receiver tell my Samsung LN52A650 to power on over HDMI because I thought it was supposed to be possible. I couldn't get it right so I gave up. Still, does anyone know the magic combination of settings between the 650 and the receiver to make this happen? I'd like my TiVo remote to power on the receiver which in turn turns on the TV.
post #462 of 2828 Old 01-05-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMinnesotan View Post

I tried a while ago to have the receiver tell my Samsung LN52A650 to power on over HDMI because I thought it was supposed to be possible. I couldn't get it right so I gave up. Still, does anyone know the magic combination of settings between the 650 and the receiver to make this happen? I'd like my TiVo remote to power on the receiver which in turn turns on the TV.

Dude... it is very easy to program the macros on the 706 remote to do a variety of commands simultaneously.

I have mine programmed to turn on the 706, my Mitsubishi TV and my DirecTV Sat receiver by pushing only one button. Same (one) button turns everything off. You may need to sync each piece of equipment first. Seemed obvious to me... so I didn't attempt the macros until all components were sync'ed up with the 706 remote. Everything is hooked up HDMI.

It's all explained in the manual. I'm off to watch the Buckeyes/Horns game right now... can help you later if need be.

Thanks,
Spartacus_33

post #463 of 2828 Old 01-05-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:

Dude... it is very easy to program the macros on the 706 remote to do a variety of commands simultaneously.

I have mine programmed to turn on the 706, my Mitsubishi TV and my DirecTV Sat receiver by pushing only one button. Same (one) button turns everything off. You may need to sync each piece of equipment first. Seemed obvious to me... so I didn't attempt the macros until all components were sync'ed up with the 706 remote. Everything is hooked up HDMI.

It's all explained in the manual. I'm off to watch the Buckeyes/Horns game right now... can help you later if need be.

Thank you for the suggestion. I guess that I did not fully explain the situation. My wife has been clutching the remote of our Series 2 TiVo for the past three years and has been making a production daily out of her dislike for the new remotes of the new HD theater setup. The contoured TiVo remote fits nicely into the hand and has very few buttons, unlike the boxy Onkyo remote with tons of buttons, which is pretty typical. The TiVo remote is very easy to operate without ever having to look at it.

Unfortunately, the TiVo remote cannot be programmed to power on and off multiple components and even if the Onkyo remote can control a TiVo, there is no way that I could convince her to use it. From reading the manual of the TV and the receiver it seemed as if they have the ability for one to control the power of the other but my attempts to make this work have not been successful.

I guess I never mentioned that a new Tivo HD XL arrived today, which is what is replacing my Comcast Crap-o-matic DVR.
post #464 of 2828 Old 01-05-2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:

Thank you for the suggestion. I guess that I did not fully explain the situation. My wife has been clutching the remote of our Series 2 TiVo for the past three years and has been making a production daily out of her dislike for the new remotes of the new HD theater setup. The contoured TiVo remote fits nicely into the hand and has very few buttons, unlike the boxy Onkyo remote with tons of buttons, which is pretty typical. The TiVo remote is very easy to operate without ever having to look at it.

Unfortunately, the TiVo remote cannot be programmed to power on and off multiple components and even if the Onkyo remote can control a TiVo, there is no way that I could convince her to use it. From reading the manual of the TV and the receiver it seemed as if they have the ability for one to control the power of the other but my attempts to make this work have not been successful.

I guess I never mentioned that a new Tivo HD XL arrived today, which is what is replacing my Comcast Crap-o-matic DVR.

Sometimes change is good. I've had several Universal Remotes... one was a $300 Sony. As I remember, I still had to use at least one other remote even with the expensive Sony. I have actually (now) put all the other remotes away.

You may need to keep the TiVo remote out for advanced stuff... but give the Onkyo remote a try. It's the best (come with) Universal Remote I've used. The 2 programmable macros are pretty cool. Dude... I'm sure you have something else that will fit perfectly in her hand... give that a try!

Thanks,
Spartacus_33

post #465 of 2828 Old 01-05-2009, 10:07 PM

Sent my 706 back to newegg for an exchanged and before they did the exchange I called them and asked if they would let me upgrade to the 876. No problem of course because they are going to make twice as much. Just hope its worth it, Sounds like it is.
post #466 of 2828 Old 01-06-2009, 12:26 AM

I have noticed drop in video signal to the TV (the screen goes blank and it shows the input name - hdmi1 in my case)- both when playing dvd as well as comcast. All feed into my 706 via component. This happened 3 days ago while watching dvd. I then changed the hdmi cable and got a good built expensive one. It didnt happen for almost 3 days and then it happened today while watching a movie on comcast. This lasts for 2-3 seconds and then the video comes back on on its own.

Has anyone else experienced this? I am nearing my 30 day return period, and would like to exchange/return my unit if this is faulty. Any help appreciated.
post #467 of 2828 Old 01-06-2009, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Why all the drama? Pony up $80 for a refurb Logitech Harmony 880 remote (or ~$100 for a new one) and I promise you you (and your wife) will wonder why you didn't do it sooner. It brought peace to my marriage.
post #468 of 2828 Old 01-06-2009, 09:11 PM

Are owners of the SR706 encountering the same problems as owners of the SR806 (i.e. blue dots) when upscaling to 1080p?
post #469 of 2828 Old 01-06-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgrad98 View Post

are owners of the sr706 encountering the same problems as owners of the sr806 (i.e. Blue dots) when upscaling to 1080p?

yes
post #470 of 2828 Old 01-07-2009, 07:37 AM

Quote:

I have noticed drop in video signal to the TV (the screen goes blank and it shows the input name - hdmi1 in my case)- both when playing dvd as well as comcast. All feed into my 706 via component. This happened 3 days ago while watching dvd. I then changed the hdmi cable and got a good built expensive one. It didnt happen for almost 3 days and then it happened today while watching a movie on comcast. This lasts for 2-3 seconds and then the video comes back on on its own.

Has anyone else experienced this? I am nearing my 30 day return period, and would like to exchange/return my unit if this is faulty. Any help appreciated.

This just started happening to me. Out of no where, if I change inputs and go back, it goes away. Very spratic.

I will be calling on this one.
post #471 of 2828 Old 01-07-2009, 07:45 AM

Quote:

All feed into my 706 via component.

So, just so I completely understand.... none of your other components have hdmi out? So, you have no other choice but to feed the 706 with component?

Thanks,
Spartacus_33

post #472 of 2828 Old 01-07-2009, 09:29 AM

I only get the blue dots via the PS3 (set to output at 1080p) when using the xmb, watching 1080p MP4s (i.e., quicktime trailers), and playing 1080p games. In my case the blue dots were not visible when watching DVDs or Blu-Rays. The dots go away when the 706 OSD Immediate Display is set to "OFF." The manual states that THX recommends setting this to off for optimum video performance and that not all HDMI devices will display properly with it set to "ON." I have the HDMI set to "Through" and the Zoom set to "Auto." I'm guessing that there is something wrong in the HDMI implementation on the receiver, but this is not a deal-breaker for me and hopefully there will be a fix at some point. I can still use the OSD SETUP regardless and if I want the OSD Immediate Display on during Cable TV viewing I can just turn it on. I am really enjoying this receiver... it is a huge step up from my old SONY receiver in features and sound quality.
post #473 of 2828 Old 01-07-2009, 09:52 AM

I don't think there is anything wrong with the HDMI implementation - more likely the problem is that the Faroudja chip for upscaling is just *barely* good enough to do 1080p and then when you set "Immediate Display" to on to overlay the volume, you're really working the chip. Even if you set the receiver to "Through" when you want to display the volume on your TV, the video chip has to overlay that volume onto your 1080p signal so it's not untouched.

Most other receiver manufacturers in this price range use that Faroudja DCDi chip for upscaling. A much better bet if you need to upscale is to get an HQV Reon chip in your receiver.

If you want to display the volume on your TV, you can use HDMI-CEC. It's a protocol that passes info between the receiver and components connected by HDMI (and your TV) outside the video realm. You turn it on in your TV settings and your Onkyo settings and when you turn your volume up and down on the receiver, it displays on the TV but is overlaid on the video signal on the TV not on the receiver. Only reason I didn't use this on my 805 is that my TV displayed the absolute volume (1-100) instead of the way my Onkyo was set for relative volume (-100dB to -0dB).

Check on page 94 of the 706 manual. It's called RIHD.
post #474 of 2828 Old 01-07-2009, 09:54 AM

Great thread!! I picked up lots of excellent tips on how to get the most out of my new 706 receiver - my thanks to the OP and the many contributors to this thread!

I purchased my 706 new on 12/29 from newegg and so far it has exceeded my expectations. I was able to setup the Audyssey EQ on the first try with no issues and later re-did it with corrected subwoofer output setting (centered) So far, I have not had any problems after a few days of experimenting with all the settings etc and re-watching many of my favorite BD's!

My Setup:

Samsung LN52A850 (HDMI)
TX-SR706 (HDMI Through, TV Audio Off)
Atlantic Technology 250.1 (old but sound better than ever!!!)
Unknown in ceiling speakers for surround L/R
PS3 (HDMI / LPCM > DVD)
360 (HDMI > Game/TV)
DirecTV HR22 DVR (HDMI > Cable/Sat)
Harmony One (PS3 Nyko adapter)

I will note that it was a bit challenging to configure everything correctly on the 706 and PS3 to get 7.1 working to my Surround Back speakers for BD. (SB speaker icons are not lit when BD is playing which is confusing..... I now believe it has to do with source BD outputting 5.1?) I ended up using Linear PCM BD audio setting from PS3 with HDMI (auto) for sound option. On the 706 I am using listening mode: THX Cinema with PLIIx to matrix the 5.1 to the surround back speakers. (SB icons are not lit but I do get sound through them this way) I will keep experimenting with diferent Listening Mode options as they all sound good!
post #475 of 2828 Old 01-07-2009, 10:35 AM

Thank you all for the great information in this thread. Sharing settings and tips is incredibly valuable.
post #476 of 2828 Old 01-07-2009, 12:06 PM

True, my dvr has dvi but I should be contacting Comcast and getting a new dvr with hdmi. My apple has dvi/hdmi out (I dont play much here but in what I have played, I havent noticed any problems). I only have a dvd player (no bray yet) and that has component out.

So you think this 'skip' is caused by upconverting?

Quote:

So, just so I completely understand.... none of your other components have hdmi out? So, you have no other choice but to feed the 706 with component?

post #477 of 2828 Old 01-07-2009, 12:08 PM

For me, it goes away if I wait a couple of seconds (ie changing inputs is not necessary). Do let me know what Onkyo support tells you. Thanks.
PS: I havent checked my firmware version number. Could the latest firmware solve it (I got mine from Amazon - maybe their lot has older firmware)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugout Doug View Post

This just started happening to me. Out of no where, if I change inputs and go back, it goes away. Very spratic.

I will be calling on this one.

post #478 of 2828 Old 01-07-2009, 06:41 PM

Liked: 13
I have a pioneer 5080hd hooked up to my 706. Everytime I change the volume while watching an SD show the screen about 5 secs. Is there any way to fix this?
I apologize if this has already been covered elsewhere in this thread.
post #479 of 2828 Old 01-08-2009, 11:02 AM

I too just took delivery of a refurb 706 yesterday. The only issue at the moment is the blue screen of death when using the Wii. The Wii is the only Component-connected device in my system. I run it into the 706 via component then out via the HDMI. The other devices (digital cable and BlueRay) are connected via HDMI in and out. No probs yet with those.

So, the 706 is converting the component signal out of the Wii into HDMI and sending it to the screen. Whenever there is an overly white screen displayed on the Wii, my screen goes blue. I believe the 706 is cutting out because it can't handle converting so much white. Not really sure why it would do that.
I tried using component out of the 706 and it worked fine. However, I do not want to use that config as it requires me to run two long cables (HDMI and Component) to my front projector (Panasonic PT-AE900U). I'd rather just the one HDMI cable to the projector. This "all HDMI" capability is one of the main reasons I bought the 706.

I plan to jump onto the Bataan Death March phone support queue later today if possible. But, I would value anyone's input as to specifically why this is happening and if there is a quick fix I can do now. I would love to avoid the weeks-long task of sending this in for repair/replacement.
post #480 of 2828 Old 01-08-2009, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Try setting HDMI to Through, Auto, 720p and 480p to see if any of those resolve your Wii problem.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo , Onkyo Tx Sr706 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver Black , Onkyo Tx Sr605 Receiver , Toshiba , Toshiba 52hm84 120 Watt Tv Lamp Replacement
Gear in this thread - 52hm84 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page