The "official" The Onkyo TX-SR706 Owners Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-13-2008, 08:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
well the thought of saving some money (was looking at a bunch of AVR's from higher end Marantz 7002, Denon 2309 (couldn't find locally), Sony 4400ES to this Onkyo) My mine goal was 4 HDMI inputs and GREAT sound.

So at a local Circuit City picked one up and - so far its good. the auto setup worked fine (except for me thinking "backwards" and in my 5.1 setup i hooked up my surrounds which are behind me to the back surrounds which caused the auto setup to flake out)

Sound quality not sure yet as I haven't played a BluRay movie yet. BUT sound from my directv hr21 on some HD movies seems pretty good!

I was very shocked to see the unit has on screen volume with HDMI while watch TV... very nice as I didn't think any "low-end" sub $2K AVR had that?

I'll report back after I tweak everything

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2008, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnner1999 View Post

well the thought of saving some money (was looking at a bunch of AVR's from higher end Marantz 7002, Denon 2309 (couldn't find locally), Sony 4400ES to this Onkyo) My mine goal was 4 HDMI inputs and GREAT sound.

So at a local Circuit City picked one up and - so far its good. the auto setup worked fine (except for me thinking "backwards" and in my 5.1 setup i hooked up my surrounds which are behind me to the back surrounds which caused the auto setup to flake out)

Sound quality not sure yet as I haven't played a BluRay movie yet. BUT sound from my directv hr21 on some HD movies seems pretty good!

I was very shocked to see the unit has on screen volume with HDMI while watch TV... very nice as I didn't think any "low-end" sub $2K AVR had that?

I'll report back after I tweak everything

John

Thanks for the info thus far. Please note if you hear any buzzing or humming noise coming through the HDMI. You had 0 set up problems with the mic? Seems lots of users are reporting this as a big problem so far.

Thanks,
Jim
Old 09-14-2008, 10:34 AM

Six days ago I reported on this thread that my Audyssey calibration was not working - I would not detect my speakers. I tried it several times with different microphone positioning

I tried it again today and it works perfectly.

Other than using the receiver for six days, the only other thing I did was I checked to assure that the microphone worked.

Why it started to work I don't know.

Karl S.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick0725 View Post

Sorry dumb question..What did you do to make sure the microphone worked and what did you do in the process to get setupo start working.

I plugged the microphone into the mic input on my computer soundcard and found that I got sound from my computer speakers when using the microphone.

I used the standard procedure to get setup to start working - plug the mic into the setup input on the front of the receiver and follow the on screen instructions.

Seems to me that the problem might have been caused by the mic plug not making proper contact with the receiver jack and that it was solved by using the receiver and letting its components "bake" for a few hours.

Since the setup is working for some and not working for others it doesn't seem like a firmware problem.

Karl S.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick0725 View Post

mic works but sounds muffled and easily distorts.

So was mine, but that might be ok. There seems to be what looks like a little felt pad covering the sound pickup.

Karl S.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi,

I will replace my Yamaha RX-V1600 next month. I was thinking about the Marantz SR-7002, but is out of my budget.

I use it 80% for Music DVD's in DD or DTS. I also do not use the Front L/R amp's, as a use my Audio Research Tube power amp.

Audio Quality is my main goal.

I would appreciatte if you give me coments about the Sound Quality of the 706, and if it will be a Huge improovemente over the Yamaha.

Thanks

Antonio Souza
Old 09-15-2008, 12:58 PM

Hi, I just got my 706.
I have no problems with the audyssey setup.
And I do not experience any buzz with PS3 connected via HDMI.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnner1999 View Post

did you buy an other 706 or an other MFG?

if you have the 706 still may I ask where you bought it? Does it work with HDMI items with no hum or buzz?

thanks
John

I swapped it out for another SR706. I purchased it at Circuit City in the San Diego area for $729.00

So far no problems with the previously mentioned hum or buzz. I ran HDMI cables from my hi-def cable box and PS3 and then out via HDMI to my Toshiba LCD TV. So far no problems with the Audyssey calibration as it worked the first time and recognized all of my speakers. I am currently using a 5.1 speaker set-up until I find another pair of speakers to match my current surrounds.

(anybody have an older pair of Energy surrounds that they want to part with? )
Old 09-15-2008, 07:30 PM

OK, I need some help...how do you get the receiver to switch to Dolby Digital when watching older DVD's that are only DD encoded? My DVD player is a PS3 and am using an HDMI cable to connect it to the 706. I am currently running only a 5.1 speaker set-up until I get a second set of surrounds. It automatically switches to DD when watching my TV via my hi-def cable box. I have tried switching the listening modes via the "Movie/TV" button on the remote but cannot find DD as an option as I scroll through the options. The closest I can find is the THX Cinema mode, which actually sounds pretty darn good.

Any advice?
Thanks,
Jeff
Old 09-16-2008, 10:57 PM

I got the 706 on Circuit City on San Diego yesterday morning, I pay $712 if you have to known. Haven't tried yet, it's still on its box.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:55 PM

Liked: 11
Hello all. I'm pleased to see this particular post activated since I helped a bud set up his system yesterday. I assured him that we could get all of his components to be controlled by the 706 remote and we almost got there.

He has a Sony XBR4 LCD. We tried eveyone of the codes listed in the guide and NONE of them worked.

Having said that, does anyone know of any code that works with an XBR4 ?
Does anyone know of additional codes we can try ?

I also noticed that the remote has been redesigned as it is much more compact than the one supplied with my 705.

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide !

I think, therefore I am single.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PannyMann View Post

Having said that, does anyone know of any code that works with an XBR4 ?
Does anyone know of additional codes we can try ?

The remote is completely programmable. I've programmed it to control my HTPC as well.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashitaka View Post

The remote is completely programmable. I've programmed it to control my HTPC as well.

I am not sure what your statement has to do with providing the appropriate codes for a Sony XBR4 LCD. Can you elaborate a bit please ?

Old 09-20-2008, 09:18 AM

Quote:

I am not sure what your statement has to do with providing the appropriate codes for a Sony XBR4 LCD. Can you elaborate a bit please ?

Oh i'm sorry...
I mean if you can't find the code for your LCD then you could program the remote manually.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I just got all new speakers and the Onkyo TX-SR706. I'm having a really hard time getting my speakers set up. I used the Audessy mic but the settings were really bad. My new SVS PCi 20-39 is barley noticeable. I played Black Hawk Down and all of the explosion bass was coming from everything but my sub. I had to get right next to the sub to hear anything.

I'm a noob when it comes to nicer HT gear so I really have no idea what to set things at. My first Polk setup sounded good right out of the box (entry level set up with cheap HK receiver).

Is the crossover setting people talk about the Hz settings?

Can someone tell me what Hz I should set the following speakers to (I looked for a Polk Audio owners thread but didn't see one)?

Fronts: Polk Audio RTi A5
Center: Polk Audio CSi A4
Rear: Polk Audio TC801
Sub: SVS PCi 20-39

Right now the settings are:

Front: Full Band
Center: 80Hz (THX)
Surround: Full Band
Surround Back: None
LPF of LFE: 80Hz (THX)
Double Bass: Off (THx)

I have the gain on my sub at about half and the phase set to around 90. Just plugged into the Left input, no Y-connecter.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by availingfaith View Post

I just got all new speakers and the Onkyo TX-SR706. I'm having a really hard time getting my speakers set up. I used the Audessy mic but the settings were really bad. My new SVS PCi 20-39 is barley noticeable. I played Black Hawk Down and all of the explosion bass was coming from everything but my sub. I had to get right next to the sub to hear anything.

I'm a noob when it comes to nicer HT gear so I really have no idea what to set things at. My first Polk setup sounded good right out of the box (entry level set up with cheap HK receiver).

Can someone tell me what Hz I should set the following speakers to (I looked for a Polk Audio owners thread but didn't see one)?

I have the gain on my sub at about half and the phase set to around 90. Just plugged into the Left input, no Y-connecter.

You might want to try moving all your crossovers to 80hz and see what you think. If your still not happy with your sub output, theres nothing wrong with raising the subwoofer trim higher to get the bass where you like it. None of this will mess up Audyssey's calibration.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I logged in just to help you.

Change all of your settings to 80Hz:

Front: 80Hz (THX)
Surround: 80Hz (THX)

Your sub's gain should be set to 9:30

This should fix everything.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_David View Post

I logged in just to help you.

Change all of your settings to 80Hz:

Front: 80Hz (THX)
Surround: 80Hz (THX)

Your sub's gain should be set to 9:30

This should fix everything.

Thanks, I really appreciate it. When you say 9:30 are you refering to a clock face? Thanks again, going to try it now.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:12 AM

What mode do you guys watch football in?

I used to use 5.1 Surround mode on my Harmon Kardon, which basically just pushed equal sound though all 5 speakers. Kinda gave you that "your actually there" feel. With everything but football, I hated that mode.

I can't find a similar mode on this Onkyo.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What mode do you guys watch football in?

I used to use 5.1 Surround mode on my Harmon Kardon, which basically just pushed equal sound though all 5 speakers. Kinda gave you that "your actually there" feel. With everything but football, I hated that mode.

I can't find a similar mode on this Onkyo.

On the Onkyo its called All channel stereo. I usually use PLII Movie for everything thats only stereo though.
Old 09-21-2008, 03:36 PM

I was going to buy the 354, but after seeing this post, and having a ps3 as a blu-ray player I decided to buy an Onkyo TX-RS706.
It's a shame what is happening with Harman kardon, if it wasn't for a crappy product support I would've been a 354 proud owner.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:21 AM

I have had my reciever for a week now and am very happy with it. I have yet to set it up using audysey EQ because I amawaiting speaker stands that will be here on sat. I have HD cable hooked up via hdmi and also a SD Tivo hooked up composite. My wife watches the tivo and I usually watch the HD cable. I am having troubles setting up the video output though. When I watch HD cable, my HD cable channels come in great, i.e. use entire screen of a 46" LCD, yet SD channels come in 4:3. However watch the tivo, all channels come in and use the entire screen. Any changes to the reciever I have tried changes them both. So is it possible to view my SD cable channels in a full screen format without it affecting anything I watch through the tivo?

I have the HDMI set up as auto and zoom set to full?
Old 09-22-2008, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashitaka View Post

Oh i'm sorry...
I mean if you can't find the code for your LCD then you could program the remote manually.

Thanks, after reading the manual (duh) we got it to work this way.

Now another issue, I can't use manual setup to tweek speaker settings. When I got to setup, the 'speakerr setup" optioin is greyed out. DOes anyone know of a setting that may cause this to occur. I have a 705 and have never seen this before. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:

Thanks, after reading the manual (duh) we got it to work this way.

Now another issue, I can't use manual setup to tweek speaker settings. When I got to setup, the 'speakerr setup" optioin is greyed out. DOes anyone know of a setting that may cause this to occur. I have a 705 and have never seen this before. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Just wondering, has anyone seen this problem with their 706 where the speaker setup is greyed out, allowing no access ? Man I hate dealing with Onkyo's CS. Was hoping you guys might be able to help me out.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:17 PM

Anyone mind checking there MAIN firmware version?
Old 09-23-2008, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazog View Post

Anyone mind checking there MAIN firmware version?

Main: 1.02/08730A
Old 09-25-2008, 01:14 PM

I am out of my mind pissed off at Onkyo right now. I bought the 706 about a month ago. When I hooked it up sound plays just fine from all of my 5.1 speakers while watching TV or listening to music. When I use the Level Calibration feature the test noise plays fine from the front right, center, and front left channels. When it plays through surround right, sound plays through BOTH left and right surround speaker. So I try the Audyssey automatic setup. Same problem and it tells me it can not detect surround left speaker. I call Onkyo they say sorry you need to return it.

Round 2:
I get a 2nd 706 receiver. I hook it up today and first go to play the Level Calibration noise to see if I get the same problem. To my pleasant surprise sound comes from each of the speakers. Now I hook up the Audyssey mic and run the automatic setup. The sound pulses start playing from my front left speaker then I get an error message saying it can't detect my front left speaker!?! Well why the hell not! The sound plays just fine from it. Ok, so maybe it is the Audyssey mic? So I try the mic from the first receiver and same problem.

That's 2 receivers with similar problems. This is where Onkyo customer support is going to come to the rescue, right? NOT! I call them and go through the same basic troubleshooting stuff and, big surprise, come to the conclusion that it doesn't work and needs to be returned - AGAIN. I tell him that I have to pay return shipping on this and would be stupid to try a 3rd time. I told him that Onkyo should replace it and pay for shipping. He says you need to speak to our customer relations department to work that out and he transfers me to customer relations. Some guy answers the phone, "hello, parts". I ask for customer relations and he says that the customer relations guy is out today. Incredulously, I ask him, "do you mean Onkyo only has one customer relations person" to which he replies, "YES". Are you kidding me?? Onkyo has one customer relations person in the whole freakin country? Are you kidding!!!!

So I must calm myself and wait until tomorrow for Don Phillips, the one and only customer relations person for Onkyo to tell me I am out of luck and they won't replace it for me.

Thank you 706 owners thread for allowing me to vent. I will let you know what Mr. Phillips has to say.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:31 PM

I returned my 706 due to over heating problems: The component video upconversion would blank out when the receiver was on for an extended time ( 3 + hours). The receiver was on top of a table all on its own. The video would blank out whenever there was an overly bright image while watching a DVD. When the receiver was cold the same image would pass fine.
To bad, otherwise the receiver seemed fine (compared to the Denon 1909 and Yamaha 633).
Onkyo is the only receiver I have tried that actually knows what an "on screen display/menu" is!
Old 09-28-2008, 06:30 PM

Last weekend I was able to select Dolby PLII when watching football. Today for some reason I can only get DSP modes with the exception of Dolby Digital and THX Cinema.

The audio source coming in is digital and via HDMI. Is there a reason I can't select any of the PLII modes?

Also, I was watching a DVD last night that's ran through the receiver. Multiple times during the movie, the signal would cut out. Is this a known issue? I'm still in my 30 day window and trying to decide if I should keep this receiver.

Most owners threads are pretty long, is this not a real popular receiver?
Old 09-29-2008, 07:54 AM

is the 706 worth the extra $400 vs the 606?

Tags
Onkyo , Onkyo Tx Sr706 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver Black , Onkyo Tx Sr605 Receiver , Toshiba , Toshiba 52hm84 120 Watt Tv Lamp Replacement