The "official" The Onkyo TX-SR706 Owners Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 2836 Old 01-19-2009, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhskyTangoFoxtrt View Post

Yes, that is exactly what I was trying to say.

Thanks for the tip-in!

What do i gain by doing that? I mean what if when i swap the left and right speaker it works? Just leave it like that? Basically disconnect the front left and right speakers and swap their place with each other and re connect the speaker wires?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 2836 Old 01-19-2009, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa View Post

What do i gain by doing that? I mean what if when i swap the left and right speaker it works? Just leave it like that? Basically disconnect the front left and right speakers and swap their place with each other and re connect the speaker wires?

Yes.

A Nice Radio Station with Great Music. For Those That Like That Sort of Thing: RadioParadise.com

post #633 of 2836 Old 01-19-2009, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

By George, I think he's got it!
post #634 of 2836 Old 01-19-2009, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

... or maybe jump up and down on your right leg for 5 minutes while patting the top of your head and rubbing your stomach........ Auddy can be a bitch, so I've read!

Thanks,
Spartacus_33
My HT
post #635 of 2836 Old 01-19-2009, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Ill leave the reciever on playing radio for a few hours , ill wake up at night and turn it off and then in the morning i will run auddysey if it wont work ill swap the front left and right speakers with one another
post #636 of 2836 Old 01-19-2009, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Btw guys, in picture settings in the setup menu, i did all the necessary edits but i wasnt sure what to set Zoom to, "full" or "normal"

Btw the imediate screen display feature, i had it on but i didnt see it anywhere on the screen when i was in the PS3's XMB.. But either way i turned it off..
post #637 of 2836 Old 01-20-2009, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member

post #638 of 2836 Old 01-20-2009, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

ok i just woke up and i tried auddy again but it still doesnt work, I swap the front speakers too and tried again but it still doesnt work..

Would a receiver reset help?
post #639 of 2836 Old 01-20-2009, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

ok i just woke up and i tried auddy again but it still doesnt work, I swap the front speakers too and tried again but it still doesnt work..

Would a receiver reset help?

It doesn't hurt to try. The speaker that isn't detected is still on the same side? Or did it move when you swapped? Did you disconnect and reconnect at the back of the receiver or at the speaker?
We are trying to determine whether the problem is your wiring or the receiver channel.
You also said how much better the 706 sounds than the 606. Does this mean that 4.1 on a 706 sounds better than 5.1 on a 606?
post #640 of 2836 Old 01-20-2009, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post

It doesn't hurt to try. The speaker that isn't detected is still on the same side? Or did it move when you swapped? Did you disconnect and reconnect at the back of the receiver or at the speaker?
We are trying to determine whether the problem is your wiring or the receiver channel.
You also said how much better the 706 sounds than the 606. Does this mean that 4.1 on a 706 sounds better than 5.1 on a 606?

4.1 on the 706? im listening to 5.1 on the 706.. i poped in a couple of bluerays, sounded awesome. but yes it does sound better.

I really think its not my wiring..

I did the recent by holding the VCR button and then pressing stand by and it said CLEAR and all settings were reset but its the same exact problem.

I swaped the speakers, now the front left speaker is in the front right position. i only unpluged the wire on the cable side.. is there a need on the receiver side too? i dont know what to do.. should i call abt and scheduale an exchange?
post #641 of 2836 Old 01-20-2009, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

4.1 on the 706? im listening to 5.1 on the 706.. i poped in a couple of bluerays, sounded awesome. but yes it does sound better.

I really think its not my wiring..

I did the recent by holding the VCR button and then pressing stand by and it said CLEAR and all settings were reset but its the same exact problem.

I swaped the speakers, now the front left speaker is in the front right position. i only unpluged the wire on the cable side.. is there a need on the receiver side too? i dont know what to do.. should i call abt and scheduale an exchange?

Okay, let's wait for the Ritalin to start working. Now, what does unplug on the cable side mean? The speaker wire is connected at the receiver and at the speaker. Which end did you disconnect to switch? If you switched at the speaker end, try switching at the receiver end being very careful not to have any stray strands. Then try again.
post #642 of 2836 Old 01-20-2009, 06:41 AM

Morning everyone. Just wanted to say thanks for folks who helped out w/ my receiver/BD problem.

I ended up doing a hard reset of both my 706 and my Panny BD. Everything is working perfectly again. Don't you just love it when things work out as they should?

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrinker2 View Post

Thanks for the reply and suggestions. With the Panasonic BD35 (not the BD55), I believe the receiver does all the work/processing.

I called Onkyo this morning. They suggested doing a "reset" of the receiver. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

post #643 of 2836 Old 01-20-2009, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrinker2 View Post

Morning everyone. Just wanted to say thanks for folks who helped out w/ my receiver/BD problem.

I ended up doing a hard reset of both my 706 and my Panny BD. Everything is working perfectly again. Don't you just love it when things work out as they should?

I believe it was Hannibal that said it best: "I love it when a plan comes together."

A Nice Radio Station with Great Music. For Those That Like That Sort of Thing: RadioParadise.com

post #644 of 2836 Old 01-20-2009, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Okay, let's wait for the Ritalin to start working. Now, what does unplug on the cable side mean? The speaker wire is connected at the receiver and at the speaker. Which end did you disconnect to switch? If you switched at the speaker end, try switching at the receiver end being very careful not to have any stray strands. Then try again.

sorry i ment to say i unpluged on the speaker's end, should,

If there is a small stary it could be causing the error? Im gonna check when i get home.

Is there some other reset procedure other than the pressing VCR button and then standby button?
post #645 of 2836 Old 01-20-2009, 08:31 AM

Ok I'm going to order this receiver today unless somewhere here says it wont meet my needs.

I will be running a PS3, Wii, and HD Cable box through my receiver and then into my 37" Vizio HDTV. I currently have a 5.1 HTIB setup and so I will be upgrading my front speakers and the center and moving my fronts to the rear and my rears to the sides of the room so that I can have a 7.1 setup.

Given all of this, is there any reason at all as to why I might not want to buy this receiver?

Thanks.
post #646 of 2836 Old 01-20-2009, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, even a small stray can cause a short that may not show up at lower volumes but can cause the AVR to shut down at higher or peak volumes. And it may be why Audyssey is not seeing that speaker. The short could be at either end of the speaker wire.
post #647 of 2836 Old 01-20-2009, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbjectEvolution View Post

Ok I'm going to order this receiver today unless somewhere here says it wont meet my needs.

I will be running a PS3, Wii, and HD Cable box through my receiver and then into my 37" Vizio HDTV. I currently have a 5.1 HTIB setup and so I will be upgrading my front speakers and the center and moving my fronts to the rear and my rears to the sides of the room so that I can have a 7.1 setup.

Given all of this, is there any reason at all as to why I might not want to buy this receiver?

Thanks.

Your set-up should work just fine.

If you use HDMI connections, you might have to turn the OSD off on the receiver to prevent a well documented issue with your PS3.

Hope you enjoy it.

post #648 of 2836 Old 01-20-2009, 08:46 AM

Awesome... but what is OSD? Thanks.
post #649 of 2836 Old 01-20-2009, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

sorry i ment to say i unpluged on the speaker's end, should,

If there is a small stary it could be causing the error? Im gonna check when i get home.

Is there some other reset procedure other than the pressing VCR button and then standby button?

lamonsasa, you might also inspect your speaker wire. Check the connection at the receiver, as suggested by Ski, and also make sure that you don't have the polarity reversed. If nothing else, try replacing the speaker wire.

post #650 of 2836 Old 01-20-2009, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Awesome... but what is OSD? Thanks.

On-Screen Display.

post #651 of 2836 Old 01-20-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:

On-Screen Display.

Eh... I might have to turn that off? That's a bit annoying.
post #652 of 2836 Old 01-20-2009, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, even a small stray can cause a short that may not show up at lower volumes but can cause the AVR to shut down at higher or peak volumes. And it may be why Audyssey is not seeing that speaker. The short could be at either end of the speaker wire.

okay i will re strip both ends of the wires today for the left channel both on the speaker end and on the receiver end. So there will be fresh speaker wire going into the speaker And the receiver for the left channel, If that wont work what would that mean? That its a defective receiver? Man i cant belive im having this problem
post #653 of 2836 Old 01-20-2009, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

lamonsasa, you might also inspect your speaker wire. Check the connection at the receiver, as suggested by Ski, and also make sure that you don't have the polarity reversed. If nothing else, try replacing the speaker wire.

Ok i will replace the speaker wire for the left channel, man i cant believe im having this problem .. I really love this reciever

If that wouldnt work what would that mean? That i need to exchange the receiver?
post #654 of 2836 Old 01-20-2009, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok i will replace the speaker wire for the left channel, man i cant believe im having this problem .. I really love this reciever

If that wouldnt work what would that mean? That i need to exchange the receiver?

First- Troubleshoot your connections.
Second- Troubleshoot your speakers.
Third- Reset the receiver.

If the problem is not your connections, wires, or speakers; it might be a problem with the receiver. Sorry.

Try reading this also:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post14456895

post #655 of 2836 Old 01-20-2009, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

First- Troubleshoot your connections.
Second- Troubleshoot your speakers.
Third- Reset the receiver.

If the problem is not your connections, wires, or speakers; it might be a problem with the receiver. Sorry.

Try reading this also:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post14456895

Well im gonna replace the speaker wire for the front left speaker, if that wont work then ill send it back, i have no other choice

My speakers are fine thats for sure, i dont see wht could be wrong with my connections man
post #656 of 2836 Old 01-20-2009, 10:37 AM

I've had mine for about a month. The currently Onkyo line is easy to recommend. Easy to set-up and operate.

Just curious, any reason you are choosing the 706 over the 606? I picked the 706 bc I wanted preamp outs.

Good luck with your decision. For all purpose music/movies/gaming, I actually think any of the current receivers would function just fine. Make sure you have enough HDMI inputs.

Quote:

Thanks.

post #657 of 2836 Old 01-20-2009, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

i just got off the phone with onkyo and she gave me a repair center's phone number and so i calles that center and guess what, the auddysey is a known issue, she asked me for my serial number but i told her i dont know because im not home right now and she said when i get home, to check the serial number, she told me if it ends with an A then my reciever needs the new modification to fix that problen, if it has a B at the end then the mod has alredy been installed.

If when i get home and i see that mine ends with an A im gonna call abt and tell them to exchange it for me with one that ends with a B,

If mine ends with a B then i will try replacing the speaker wire for the front left speaker, if that work either then oh well..
post #658 of 2836 Old 01-20-2009, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

ok i just called my brother who is home and i told him to check the serial number and my serial number ends with a B, which means my model has the modification already. gosh then why is the auddysey still not working

Ill replace the speaker wire when i get home
post #659 of 2836 Old 01-20-2009, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

ok i just called my brother who is home and i told him to check the serial number and my serial number ends with a B, which means my model has the modification already. gosh then why is the auddysey still not working

Ill replace the speaker wire when i get home

Lemon Sauce,
Don't be afraid to edit an existing message when you are just updating something you've already posted. Example: this could have just been added to the previous message. It will cut down on the clutter. Thanks
post #660 of 2836 Old 01-20-2009, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Lol Ok will do.

if i change the speaker wire and it still doesnt work what should i do?

Is there some other reseting procedure available that i could try?

I tried the VCR+Standby like 3 times already but it doesnt work
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo , Onkyo Tx Sr706 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver Black , Onkyo Tx Sr605 Receiver , Toshiba , Toshiba 52hm84 120 Watt Tv Lamp Replacement
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page