Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 2828 Old 01-22-2009, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LidoShuffle View Post

Is there any danger of the 706 catching fire? I've got it in a cabinet with 1" of free space on either side and 2" above it. The cabinet has some small air vents/cable holes in the back but not a lot of air flow. When I put my hand on top of the receiver last night it was too hot to keep my hand there. It's really hot. I'm tempted to get a thermometer and check, but it's hotter than any receiver I've ever used before.

First I would move you receiver from that spot and placing it in a better ventilated area. Thats a sacrifice I had to make. Or two, try opening up the backing more to allow air flow and maybe adding a fan. Maybe a PC fan. Altex sells PC fans that pull and push air that are AC powered. But keeping your receiver running hot is a no go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2828 Old 01-22-2009, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrinker2 View Post

I will be sure to report back if I go w/ a Totem system.

Absolutely. This is a great forum!

Could you explain a bit more here? Before Audyssey, I set my sub crossover as high as it would go.

The 706 also has Low-Pass Filter for the LFE channel. It is not automatically set by the Automatic Speaker Setup. Try moving that to 120Hz as recommended by Audyssey.

My guess is that the culprit is the unmatched front three channels. It may be throwing Audyssey off - Have you tried asking someone in the Audyssey forum? Chris from Audyssey frequently answers questions. They might be more help to you.

LidoShuffle,

Onkyo recommends 8" at the top and sides and 4" at the rear. Top shelves are suggested to be 4" away from the rear panel to allow warm air to escape.

Good luck.

A Nice Radio Station with Great Music. For Those That Like That Sort of Thing: RadioParadise.com

post #723 of 2828 Old 01-22-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:

Is there any danger of the 706 catching fire? I've got it in a cabinet with 1" of free space on either side and 2" above it. The cabinet has some small air vents/cable holes in the back but not a lot of air flow. When I put my hand on top of the receiver last night it was too hot to keep my hand there. It's really hot. I'm tempted to get a thermometer and check, but it's hotter than any receiver I've ever used before.

HaHa... in case you haven't already stumbled across my previous post... I bought one of these... it's completely silent. Just sat it on top of the 706 case (can't see it) to pull the heat out. Plugged the usb into the back of my DirecTV receiver.

Thanks,
Spartacus_33
My HT
post #724 of 2828 Old 01-22-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhskyTangoFoxtrt View Post

The 706 also has Low-Pass Filter for the LFE channel. It is not automatically set by the Automatic Speaker Setup.

Funny you should mention this (LFE). I just ordered a new sub (hsu VTF-3 MK3). What are the advantages/disadvantages of LFE? Do you have to manually turn it on from some setting in the 706 or is it completely controlled from the sub? Does Auddy have to be re-run each time a change is made to the sub?

Thanks,
Spartacus_33
My HT
post #725 of 2828 Old 01-22-2009, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus_33 View Post

Funny you should mention this (LFE). I just ordered a new sub (hsu VTF-3 MK3). What are the advantages/disadvantages of LFE? Do you have to manually turn it on from some setting in the 706 or is it completely controlled from the sub? Does Auddy have to be re-run each time a change is made to the sub?

To my knowledge, no.

Chris from Audyssey says: "The LFE setting that you see is not a crossover. It is a filter that is only applied to the separate LFE track on DVDs and HD content. It doesn't have any effect on the content that is sent to your main channels. In any case, the LFE filter should always be set to 120 Hz. It should not be a variable setting available for tweaking, but manufacturers haven't figured that out yet."

"MultEQ doesn't even look at that setting." (LPF)

A Nice Radio Station with Great Music. For Those That Like That Sort of Thing: RadioParadise.com

post #726 of 2828 Old 01-22-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:

To my knowledge, no.

Chris from Audyssey says: "The LFE setting that you see is not a crossover. It is a filter that is only applied to the separate LFE track on DVDs and HD content. It doesn't have any effect on the content that is sent to your main channels. In any case, the LFE filter should always be set to 120 Hz. It should not be a variable setting available for tweaking, but manufacturers haven't figured that out yet."

"MultEQ doesn't even look at that setting." (LPF)

WTF... hopefully, I'm looking on the correct page, but in the 706 manual (page 75) it states, "if you're using THX-certified speakers, select 80Hz". I doubt that my speakers are THX-certified... so will start out at 120Hz. Apparently other available settings are 90, 100 and 120. Guess I'll just have to play with them.

Thanks,
Spartacus_33
My HT
post #727 of 2828 Old 01-22-2009, 05:38 PM

Hey WTF,
Per suggestions on this forum (including yours), I set the LPF for LFE channel to 120. Do I need to redo my Audyssey setup?

Yes, I have had some dialogue with Chris in the Audyssey forum. He is quite generous with his knowledge and time.

Quote:

Could you explain a bit more here? Before Audyssey, I set my sub crossover as high as it would go.

The 706 also has Low-Pass Filter for the LFE channel. It is not automatically set by the Automatic Speaker Setup. Try moving that to 120Hz as recommended by Audyssey.

My guess is that the culprit is the unmatched front three channels. It may be throwing Audyssey off - Have you tried asking someone in the Audyssey forum? Chris from Audyssey frequently answers questions. They might be more help to you.

LidoShuffle,

Onkyo recommends 8" at the top and sides and 4" at the rear. Top shelves are suggested to be 4" away from the rear panel to allow warm air to escape.

Good luck.

post #728 of 2828 Old 01-22-2009, 05:44 PM

What do you think is the best way to set up a 706? I've got a bd player, dvr and vcr going into the 706 (via hdmi, hdmi and rca respectively) and then hdmi out to the tv. This seems to work ok, but the receiver doesn't turn off when the source components turn off. Would it be better to have the components going to the tv and then have the tv going out to the 706 via hdmi?

Secondly, I've got two front B&W speakers bi-amped, a B&W center channel and two dB Plus surround speakers. What frequency should I set the center and surround speakers to? The front are locked as "full channel".

-LidoShuffle

-------------------------
God bless Jerry Iggulden
post #729 of 2828 Old 01-22-2009, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey WTF,
Per suggestions on this forum (including yours), I set the LPF for LFE channel to 120. Do I need to redo my Audyssey setup?

Yes, I have had some dialogue with Chris in the Audyssey forum. He is quite generous with his knowledge and time.

Hope that works for you. No, you don't need to redo Audyssey as it doesn't even look at the LPF.

This might also interest you:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1097576

Some of the posters in that thread will blow your mind.

post #730 of 2828 Old 01-22-2009, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Would it be better to have the components going to the tv and then have the tv going out to the 706 via hdmi?

No, in my opinion, that would not be a good idea. You wouldn't get your money's worth from your AVR and most likely get poor results.

You don't mention what equipment you are using, but I do not believe the 706 will do what you are expecting. Unless you are using Onkyo products or similar RIHD compatible devices. See page 102 of your Owner's Manual use your remote to control other devices. The Onkyo remote also has 2 macros that can be programmed to turn on or off all of your devices.

Secondly, I've got two front B&W speakers bi-amped, a B&W center channel and two dB Plus surround speakers. What frequency should I set the center and surround speakers to? The front are locked as "full channel".

Usually around 80Hz. This will vary though.

Take a look at these:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1097576

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1094792

Good luck.

spartacus_33

Very nice choice in sub. I wish Hsu had one in gloss piano black...Or maybe 2 in gloss piano black.

Have you tried contacting Dr. Hsu for his advice?

http://forum.hsuresearch.com/

post #731 of 2828 Old 01-22-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:

What do you think is the best way to set up a 706? I've got a bd player, dvr and vcr going into the 706 (via hdmi, hdmi and rca respectively) and then hdmi out to the tv. This seems to work ok, but the receiver doesn't turn off when the source components turn off. Would it be better to have the components going to the tv and then have the tv going out to the 706 via hdmi?

Program one of the macro buttons on the 706 remote to perform the normal manual remote keystrokes. Then .... it's just a one button push for all of them to turn ON and then another one button push for all of them to turn OFF.

Thanks,
Spartacus_33
My HT
post #732 of 2828 Old 01-22-2009, 10:59 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa View Post

Hopefully it works out for u, its not a small portion tho, it seems to be more than that.

Im going to return mine back to ABT and im going to phone crutchfield and order from there.

Where did u order yours from? And how much did u get it for man?

Got my 706 today. After a couple hours disconnecting a reconnecting everything (and hooking up my Hafler XL280 amp to the pre-out), set-up was a breeze....except my sub. I got no sound, then I realized hooked it up the wrong subwoofer connection (oops.) I hooked it to the sub pre-out and it still didn't work (ruh-roh), but after turning the receiver and sub off and back on again everything worked fine.

I ran Audyssey and it sounded off. The center sounded weak and the surrounds too loud. Then I realized it was putting everything in Prologic 2. After setting everything to Dolby Digital for surround or stereo for non-DD material, everything sounded at least as good as it did on my 605. No center bump was necessary at all. The soundstage is seamless.

So, everything works, and I'm happy.

post #733 of 2828 Old 01-23-2009, 02:33 PM

Glad you are happy with your 706. I am quite happy w/ mine.

I'm curious, did you use a tripod as suggested during the Audyssey setup? Did you follow the list of suggestions in the Audyssey forum (including using as many measurements as possible)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvtdude View Post

Got my 706 today. After a couple hours disconnecting a reconnecting everything (and hooking up my Hafler XL280 amp to the pre-out), set-up was a breeze....except my sub. I got no sound, then I realized hooked it up the wrong subwoofer connection (oops.) I hooked it to the sub pre-out and it still didn't work (ruh-roh), but after turning the receiver and sub off and back on again everything worked fine.

I ran Audyssey and it sounded off. The center sounded weak and the surrounds too loud. Then I realized it was putting everything in Prologic 2. After setting everything to Dolby Digital for surround or stereo for non-DD material, everything sounded at least as good as it did on my 605. No center bump was necessary at all. The soundstage is seamless.

So, everything works, and I'm happy.

post #734 of 2828 Old 01-23-2009, 03:02 PM

I was doing some reading in the Audyssey forum.

If I understand things correctly, it is recommended that the user set full range speakers to "small" manually after the calibration is finished...start with a 60 or 80HZ as the crossover.

Is there a way to set a speaker to "small" on the SR706, or does one just adjust the crossover?

I'm confused here . Doesn't the Audyssey setup determine a good crossover setting when it analyzes each speaker?
post #735 of 2828 Old 01-23-2009, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was doing some reading in the Audyssey forum.

If I understand things correctly, it is recommended that the user set full range speakers to "small" manually after the calibration is finished...start with a 60 or 80HZ as the crossover.

Is there a way to set a speaker to "small" on the SR706, or does one just adjust the crossover?

I'm confused here . Doesn't the Audyssey setup determine a good crossover setting when it analyzes each speaker?

It is my understanding that Audyssey does not set crossovers. It simply reports its readings to the AVR, which in turn sets the crossover as determined by the manufacturer. Each has its own standards.

By manually adjusting the crossover on the front speakers, the 706 recognizes the speakers as set to small.

Audyssey also recommends that if you only manually adjust the crossover higher, never lower, after calibrating.

post #736 of 2828 Old 01-23-2009, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
hey all i might hold off upgrading to the 706 for now, i might just stick to my sr606,

The new onkyo model will come out in like 4 months or so and it will have the new Dolby technology and so i dont want the buyers remorse hitting me then hehe so i might just hold on to my SR606 afterall..
post #737 of 2828 Old 01-23-2009, 08:14 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Glad you are happy with your 706. I am quite happy w/ mine.

I'm curious, did you use a tripod as suggested during the Audyssey setup? Did you follow the list of suggestions in the Audyssey forum (including using as many measurements as possible)?

I've only taken 3 measurements, but I might try it again this weekend with 6. I don't have a tripod. I have a large firm floor pillow that when stood vertically on my couch matches ear height. I know it's absorptive, but then again, so is the human body that will be sitting there. I just set the mic upon the top of the pillow.

I'll have to check out the Audyssey forum.

post #738 of 2828 Old 01-25-2009, 10:11 AM

Sorry in advance if this has been posted, but I certainly can't find it

Got a brand new 706 for $475 right around New Years. So far, I'm liking it. The audussey mic didn't work correctly, but after reading this thread I think I have my surrounds hooked up wrong (5.1), so I'll fix that and try again.

My bigger concern is the heat. I've got it in a fairly open cabinet, but have decided to wire up dual 120mm fans to draw air out of the cabinet (bookshelf like cabinet with open front). My question is for you guys running fans, how are you powering them without having a switched AC outlet in the receiver? I've got a variable voltage 1A supply from radio shack, and I'm running my fans at 4.5v which is working well. But I want them to come on and off with the receiver. I tried using the switched outlet in my DVR, but it is apparently on all the time, even when the DVR is off.

Any suggestions?
post #739 of 2828 Old 01-25-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuturtle View Post

Sorry in advance if this has been posted, but I certainly can't find it

Got a brand new 706 for $475 right around New Years. So far, I'm liking it. The audussey mic didn't work correctly, but after reading this thread I think I have my surrounds hooked up wrong (5.1), so I'll fix that and try again.

My bigger concern is the heat. I've got it in a fairly open cabinet, but have decided to wire up dual 120mm fans to draw air out of the cabinet (bookshelf like cabinet with open front). My question is for you guys running fans, how are you powering them without having a switched AC outlet in the receiver? I've got a variable voltage 1A supply from radio shack, and I'm running my fans at 4.5v which is working well. But I want them to come on and off with the receiver. I tried using the switched outlet in my DVR, but it is apparently on all the time, even when the DVR is off.

Any suggestions?

the cooler guys

Thanks,
Spartacus_33
My HT
post #740 of 2828 Old 01-25-2009, 01:32 PM

A USB fan isn't going to cut it. The only USB ports I have access to are from my DVR, and these also seem to be powered even when the DVR is "off".

I was hoping to use some unused output of the receiver to trigger the fans or something like that.
post #741 of 2828 Old 01-25-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuturtle View Post

A USB fan isn't going to cut it. The only USB ports I have access to are from my DVR, and these also seem to be powered even when the DVR is "off".

I was hoping to use some unused output of the receiver to trigger the fans or something like that.

Bummer. I have one on the back of my sat. receiver. Even if I'm watching BD movies...or listening to music, I leave the sat. receiver on.

Thanks,
Spartacus_33
My HT
post #742 of 2828 Old 01-25-2009, 07:34 PM

Greetings fellow 706ers,
Just had to share my listening experience over the past few days. I had a chance to audition a set of Totem DreamCatchers (my sub, not theirs). This is Totem's entry level stuff.

Equipment:
Panasonic BD35
Onkyo SR706
DreamCatcher L/R
DreamCatcher Center
PSB Subsonic5 Sub

Even without any higher-end separate amplification (which tends to be the case for Totems), these speakers were a pure pleaure to listen to! I was simply not expecting to enjoy myself to this degree. These speakers just do a whole lot really right.. and really musically across both music and movies.

The DreamCatchers are generally described as a system for smaller rooms, but these filled my 17x17 family room just fine.

I don't often find speakers that really thrill me. For an inexpensive music/HT speaker setup (especially if you care more about music and the "big bang/shake" factor), folks should really check these little guys out. After listening to them, I'm surprised I haven't seen more chat about them.
post #743 of 2828 Old 01-26-2009, 06:28 AM

Quote:

Mind describing your setup? Are you going Cable-> HDMI-->Receiver?

I also have a Samsung LCD. After getting a HD cable box, I first set up using HDMI cable. The delays were insane. I contacted the shop where I bought the TV (a reputable AV dealer) and they were well aware of these kind of problems. They recommended that I use component cable instead of HDMI from the cable box. They went further to say that they only use component cable from cable box when doing all their HT installs to avoid problems.

So if I want a seamless transition from another source to HDMI without the long delay I have to run Component from my cable box to my receiver with an optical audio cable? One of the biggest reasons I bought this receiver was for the 4 HDMI inputs, to cut down on on my wires. What a pain.
post #744 of 2828 Old 01-27-2009, 05:19 AM

Wow, this thread really took off in between when I purchased the unit in November and now. It took me a while to get everything setup with my home theater, and I just got it completed about 2 weeks ago.

Everything was going fine until I was watching some streaming content coming from the computer, through my PS3, and then to the receiver....and I noticed the blue artifacting that some here have also had the problem with. It will sppear on the left border, but its most notible in dark scenese with lots of blacks/greys. I am not going to disable the on screen graphics or put the receiver in through mode...I paid for these features dammit and I want to use them I only get the blue artifacts when I watch streaming content. Watching TV on DirecTV or watching a Blu-Ray disc on the PS3 dont produce it.

What have been others experiance in sending their unit in for repair? Did Onkyo provide you with a prepaid shipping label? Was your unit actually repaired or did they send you a different receiver?

I purchased mine as a refurbished unit s I didnt really expect to have any problems like this Fortunately I did buy from an authorized dealer so my warranty is in place.

I also have another problem with the on screen graphics. They show up with I am watching DirecTV or the streaming content on the PS3 but wont show up when I am watching a Blu-Ray on the PS3. Any idea what setting needs to be changed to fix this?

Overall I have been satisfied with the receiver so far, and I am sure once I get a properly working unit I will be very happy. I performed the Audyssey setup without any problems and the system sounds great, just missing a subwoofer to complete the sound.
post #745 of 2828 Old 01-27-2009, 06:08 AM

Hi guys -- just a quick question. If I were to try to upconvert a standard analog signal...... do I have the option to just upconvert it to 720P? I see 1080P advertised, but will it convert lower than that if desired?

Thanks
post #746 of 2828 Old 01-27-2009, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm2112 View Post

Hi guys -- just a quick question. If I were to try to upconvert a standard analog signal...... do I have the option to just upconvert it to 720P? I see 1080P advertised, but will it convert lower than that if desired?

Thanks

Yes, you can select the output resolution.

post #747 of 2828 Old 01-27-2009, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mteele View Post

...I also have another problem with the on screen graphics. They show up with I am watching DirecTV or the streaming content on the PS3 but wont show up when I am watching a Blu-Ray on the PS3. Any idea what setting needs to be changed to fix this?

On screen graphics do not work if your output resolution is 1080p/24.
post #748 of 2828 Old 01-27-2009, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMAG View Post

On screen graphics do not work if your output resolution is 1080p/24.

Ah ok, thanks!
post #749 of 2828 Old 01-27-2009, 11:22 AM

[DEEP breath......] Getting my new sub today (Hsu VTF-3 MK3). Going to re-run Auddy..... (fingers crossed)!

I ran it twice before without any issues............ hopefully will work again. I actually never did check what Auddy set things to last time... just sounded great so went with the default settings. Been watching posts on the official Auddy forum lately, so will see what things get set to. Many posters there are questioning the settings and whether they should tweak them. I'm just hoping my 706 will behave and run through successfully again. Wish me luck!

Thanks,
Spartacus_33
My HT
post #750 of 2828 Old 01-27-2009, 04:08 PM

Reran Audyssey after hooking up my new sub... posted here. WOW!

Thanks,
Spartacus_33
My HT
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo , Onkyo Tx Sr706 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver Black , Onkyo Tx Sr605 Receiver , Toshiba , Toshiba 52hm84 120 Watt Tv Lamp Replacement
Gear in this thread - 52hm84 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page