Forum Jump: 

post #931 of 2825 Old 02-09-2009, 08:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon D View Post

Ballocks!!! (I'm not really from England but I still say that)

I just noticed the 2 different subwoofer outs right next to each other in the inputs-photo. I indeed hope I have it plugged in to the right one!

Page 17 of the 706 owners manual (top right) illustrates the correct subwoofer connection.

Thanks,
Spartacus_33
My HT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 2825 Old 02-09-2009, 01:14 PM

Hello,

Has anyone compared the Denon AVR 2309 to the Qnkyo TS-SR706? I am trying to decide between these two receivers and would like to have others' opinions.

Thanks
post #933 of 2825 Old 02-09-2009, 01:29 PM

To those looking to purchase... Seems like Amazon has it back in stock (shipping from Amazon) for $549
post #934 of 2825 Old 02-09-2009, 02:43 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon D View Post

Ballocks!!! (I'm not really from England but I still say that)

I just noticed the 2 different subwoofer outs right next to each other in the inputs-photo. I indeed hope I have it plugged in to the right one!

Umm, it's bullocks, not ballocks.

post #935 of 2825 Old 02-09-2009, 03:12 PM

Hi. Just got my 706 set up. Yes, It's very hot! Also noted some "clicling" coming from speakers when using TIVO HD via component and optical audio imput. Has "clicking" been reported by others? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Peter
post #936 of 2825 Old 02-09-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollandpeter View Post

Hi. Just got my 706 set up. Yes, It's very hot! Also noted some "clicling" coming from speakers when using TIVO HD via component and optical audio imput. Has "clicking" been reported by others? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Peter

I have mine connected via HDMI, and there is no problem. Does your TV not have HDMI?
post #937 of 2825 Old 02-09-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:

Thanks,

Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allez View Post

I have mine connected via HDMI, and there is no problem. Does your TV not have HDMI?

... and the addiction begins.... you must have a TV with HDMI my friend!

Thanks,
Spartacus_33
My HT
post #938 of 2825 Old 02-09-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:

Thanks,

Peter

Are you sure the clicking is from the speakers? You will hear a click when the receiver itself switches resolutions or audio settings. Whenever a cable station goes from 480p to 720 or 1080 or if they switch from stereo to 5.1 you will hear a click as the receiver switches settings. It sounds more like a mechanical switch though, and doesn't come from the speakers. I used to have the 605 and it did this as well. It's annoying at first but later you never seem to notice it.

post #939 of 2825 Old 02-09-2009, 04:45 PM

can anybody tell me the best listening mode for movies? ive read through the manuel and it really didnt point out what the best is. im using a xbox360 as a dvd player for now, so i guess the true hd listening mode isnt an option for me. im just confused on the dolby digital/thx/plII, stuff. also im currently run a 5.1 system.
post #940 of 2825 Old 02-09-2009, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstang View Post

can anybody tell me the best listening mode for movies? ive read through the manuel and it really didnt point out what the best is. im using a xbox360 as a dvd player for now, so i guess the true hd listening mode isnt an option for me. im just confused on the dolby digital/thx/plII, stuff. also im currently run a 5.1 system.

The best is what ever YOU prefer. I myself don't use any extra processing, just path the signal straight through.
post #941 of 2825 Old 02-09-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvtdude View Post

Are you sure the clicking is from the speakers? You will hear a click when the receiver itself switches resolutions or audio settings. Whenever a cable station goes from 480p to 720 or 1080 or if they switch from stereo to 5.1 you will hear a click as the receiver switches settings. It sounds more like a mechanical switch though, and doesn't come from the speakers. I used to have the 605 and it did this as well. It's annoying at first but later you never seem to notice it.

It's not the mechanical clicking. It's more like a poping, clearly from the speakers. Heard at higher volumes, On some channels, Like CNN,( via analog cable-comcast to tivo) not on Ant HD feed to Tivo.

Thanks for any ideas!
post #942 of 2825 Old 02-09-2009, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

It's not the mechanical clicking. It's more like a poping, clearly from the speakers. Heard at higher volumes, On some channels, Like CNN,( via analog cable-comcast to tivo) not on Ant HD feed to Tivo.

Thanks for any ideas!

if it's only doing it through your cable receiver it's more than likely the source. I hear it sometimes on some channels through my Dish Network Receiver. It's the source though because I can hear when using TV speakers also, it's not not as pronounced through the TV speakers, the receiver seems to emphasize it, NBC seems to be the worst for me.
post #943 of 2825 Old 02-10-2009, 06:04 AM

If you are watching digital channels or through a digital cable box, you might hear a click when a channel first comes on. It's basically the digital signal popping in through the receiver (not a good way to describe it, but that's the best I can come up with). You shouldn't hear it once you've been watching the channel for any length of time though. If it continues, you might want to double check your speaker wires to make sure everything is connected nice and tight.
post #944 of 2825 Old 02-10-2009, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks for any ideas!

Try going into the Setup Menu, Listening Mode Presets and selecting default processing for 2 channel (I like PLII) and dolby digital (I just keep it DD). I think that eliminates the clicking.
post #945 of 2825 Old 02-10-2009, 12:17 PM

I'm a relatively new owner of a 706, and so far have been very happy. The Audyssey EQ is all that and a bag of chips. Before making my puchase I've been reading this forum and wanted to thank everyone for helping me get it right.

But as happy as I've been, there is one annoying issue I have. I only have 2 video sources, a DirecTV HR-21 and a Samsung BD-UP5000 DVD player, both connected via HDMI (set to 'through'), and then one HDMI out to my Sony KDF-50E2000. I have 2 audio sources in addition, a DS-A2 iPod dock and a Denon CD player. So most times switching between CBL/SAT and DVD works well, sometimes a couple seconds for the Sony to display the pic correctly, but sometimes the picture is scrambled and never gets unscrambled. Switching to CBL/SAT and powering everything off then back on resolves the issue. Has anyone else delt with this and have some insight? THX
post #946 of 2825 Old 02-10-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:

Thanks,

Peter

I had clicking when listening to over-the-air tv (optical audio from tv to avr). Then I switched the dynamic eq off and it went away. I don't know if it's an optical or audyssey issue, but I don't need dynamic eq for regular tv anyway.
post #947 of 2825 Old 02-10-2009, 07:27 PM

I have the 706. I have an older Xbox 360 which does not have an HDMI output (only component). Does the 706 support a component in -> HDMI out to the TV? I've skimmed the manual and haven't found that yet. I'm trying to keep the number of cables to a minimum.
post #948 of 2825 Old 02-10-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxd View Post

I have the 706. I have an older Xbox 360 which does not have an HDMI output (only component). Does the 706 support a component in -> HDMI out to the TV? I've skimmed the manual and haven't found that yet. I'm trying to keep the number of cables to a minimum.

Yes it does.

post #949 of 2825 Old 02-11-2009, 12:00 PM

Hi guys,
Could someone tell me where's the best place to order a Onkyo 706 online. I have never bought something like this off the internet. Thanks for any help you could give me. I found one at CC for 599.00 but with them closing, I don't know if it would be very smart to buy it or not(all sales final, no refunds or replacements).
Thanks Mitch
post #950 of 2825 Old 02-11-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:

Could someone tell me where's the best place to order a Onkyo 706 online

Do not buy from CC! You're hosed if the receiver doesn't work, you don't like it, doesn't have the right features, produces blue dots, etc.

I just got mine from Amazon. It's $549 and qualifies for free shipping (Free 2-day shipping if you are a Prime member). Only catch is you pay return postage if returning for any other reason that "it doesn't work". At 41 lbs. that could be quite a hefty bill.

Crutchfield has it for $599 and will pay return postage if you choose to return it for any reason.

J&R and 6th ave are frequently mentioned here. I don't know of any brick and mortar chains that carry it.
post #951 of 2825 Old 02-11-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell B. View Post

Hi guys,
Could someone tell me where's the best place to order a Onkyo 706 online. I have never bought something like this off the internet. Thanks for any help you could give me. I found one at CC for 599.00 but with them closing, I don't know if it would be very smart to buy it or not(all sales final, no refunds or replacements).
Thanks Mitch

Check nextag.com or pricegrabber.com I got mine from Vanns . Also once you find someone who has the best price... Google and check for any discount codes. Best price I've seen on a new one is $479 shipped and all.
post #952 of 2825 Old 02-11-2009, 07:41 PM

Thanks for the info guys, will ck them out. Thanks Mitch
post #953 of 2825 Old 02-11-2009, 10:14 PM

Hi Guys, I'm a Noob. This will be my first receiver ever! I'm going to go with this over a Denon, because you seem to get more for your money with a Onkyo.

Once again I'm a noob. My question is what is the point of sending a video (component or HDMI) cable threw the receiver and not just to the TV and using the receiver for only for audio? Seem like it would hurt the picture quailty a little sending it threw the receiver and then to the TV. My TV has 4 HDMI inputs, so that isn't a problem.

Thanks any help.
post #954 of 2825 Old 02-11-2009, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acpmadness View Post

Hi Guys, I'm a Noob. This will be my first receiver ever! I'm going to go with this over a Denon, because you seem to get more for your money with a Onkyo.

Once again I'm a noob. My question is what is the point of sending a video (component or HDMI) cable threw the receiver and not just to the TV and using the receiver for only for audio? Seem like it would hurt the picture quailty a little sending it threw the receiver and then to the TV. My TV has 4 HDMI inputs, so that isn't a problem.

Thanks any help.

Say you have 3 video sources; a DVR, a DVD player, and a game system. If you send each one to your TV, you have to select that input on your TV and then change the audio feed on your receiver to match that input. If you run it all to your receiver first, you just click that button on the receiver and the video goes to your TV and the associated audio switches along with it. This eliminates a lot of hassle and a lot of wires, since only one HDMI cable comes out of the receiver.

In addition, the receiver is capable of upscaling all your sources to 1080p to send to your HDTV.

post #955 of 2825 Old 02-12-2009, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acpmadness View Post

Thanks any help.

Also, with HDMI the only way to get the new HD audio codecs is over the HDMI connection to the reciever. I think there are a few rare devices that have 2 HDMI outs so you could do as you descibe, but most only have one.
post #956 of 2825 Old 02-12-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvtdude View Post

Say you have 3 video sources; a DVR, a DVD player, and a game system. If you send each one to your TV, you have to select that input on your TV and then change the audio feed on your receiver to match that input. If you run it all to your receiver first, you just click that button on the receiver and the video goes to your TV and the associated audio switches along with it. This eliminates a lot of hassle and a lot of wires, since only one HDMI cable comes out of the receiver.

In addition, the receiver is capable of upscaling all your sources to 1080p to send to your HDTV.

Isn't one of the problems with the Onkyos the problem with scaling up game consoles? I've heard problems with PS3 blue dots and Wii blue screens.

I personally would still get a 706, but I will have to set pass-through on my game consoles.
post #957 of 2825 Old 02-12-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doormat View Post

Isn't one of the problems with the Onkyos the problem with scaling up game consoles? I've heard problems with PS3 blue dots and Wii blue screens.

I personally would still get a 706, but I will have to set pass-through on my game consoles.

Mine upscales and upconverts my Wii from composite video just fine, except the image is really dull and loses a lot of brightness, so I just have it pass through and it looks better IMO. Maybe it's better with a Wii component connection.
post #958 of 2825 Old 02-12-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doormat View Post

I've upscaled the output of my PS3 with no problem whatsoever.

post #959 of 2825 Old 02-12-2009, 07:38 PM

Just connected this receiver, need some input!

1. Is it best practice to set the HDMI output to "1080p" or "through"? I have PS3 and a 1080i cable box connected to my receiver, via HDMI. If I set it to 1080p, will it upconvert my cable box to 1080p?

2. what is the best practice for speaker calibration? I have FL and FR set to
-2.0 db. I have the surround and back surround speakers at 2.0db. Can
someone post their settings on this?

3. Does audessy automate all of the speaker levels and speaker distances for me?
I've never used a mic to synch a system before

Thanks guys
post #960 of 2825 Old 02-12-2009, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightonezero View Post

Just connected this receiver, need some input!

1. Is it best practice to set the HDMI output to "1080p" or "through"? I have PS3 and a 1080i cable box connected to my receiver, via HDMI. If I set it to 1080p, will it upconvert my cable box to 1080p?

2. what is the best practice for speaker calibration? I have FL and FR set to
-2.0 db. I have the surround and back surround speakers at 2.0db. Can
someone post their settings on this?

3. Does audessy automate all of the speaker levels and speaker distances for me?
I've never used a mic to synch a system before

Thanks guys

If you want to have your cable signal at 1080p, set it so, otherwise using "through" will pass it as is. I doubt you'll see a difference between 1080i and 1080p, but you can do it if you want.

If you use the Audyssey system the levels and distances will be set for you, and it does a great job. Some people have had issues with the subwoofer level and distance, but mine nailed it.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo , Onkyo Tx Sr706 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver Black , Onkyo Tx Sr605 Receiver , Toshiba , Toshiba 52hm84 120 Watt Tv Lamp Replacement
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page