The "official" The Onkyo TX-SR706 Owners Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 2825 Old 10-26-2008, 07:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Will this receiver pass a 1080p24 signal via HDMI without any problem?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2825 Old 10-28-2008, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skalata View Post

Will this receiver pass a 1080p24 signal via HDMI without any problem?

Thanks!

Yes.
post #93 of 2825 Old 10-29-2008, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Bechtold View Post

I'm considering the 705 and the 706. I'm just wondering if I should spend the extra $120 to get the 706. I don't care about video up-conversion or an extra HDMI. The 705 has enough. What I'm wondering about is sound quality, is there any difference. Any difference in amps or DAC's and what are the extra THX, etc. modes the 706 has and how do they benefit me over the 705. Thanks!

I would also like to know if it's worth the extra cash to purchase the 706 instead of the 705. I think on Amazon right now the price difference is about $60 or so.
post #94 of 2825 Old 10-29-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac0403 View Post

I would also like to know if it's worth the extra cash to purchase the 706 instead of the 705. I think on Amazon right now the price difference is about $60 or so.

I'm considering the 706 for the Dynamic EQ. I was also hoping to get Dynamic Volume, but the cheapest I could find was in the Denon line. Since I also want pre-amp outs, I was looking at the Denon 2809. But that one's several hundred dollars more than the Onkyo 706. So I guess I'm going to go without the Dynamic Volume.
post #95 of 2825 Old 10-29-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post

I'm not sure what DTS Express is, but it won't do what you are thinking/want it to do. To get the multiple audio streams on a BD the decoding has to happen in the player, it cannot be bitstreamed.

According to Onkyo support with DTS Express listening mode on, the AVR will mix the secondary audio content when bitstreaming from the player. But I would like a conformation on that. So if someone has this AVR (TX-SR706) and a BD,HD player, please try this scenario and report back. This would be GREAT! if it did work. As I could bitsream and just select this listening mode when I want to mix the secondary audio.
post #96 of 2825 Old 10-29-2008, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by grod777 View Post

According to Onkyo support with DTS Express listening mode on, the AVR will mix the secondary audio content when bitstreaming from the player. But I would like a conformation on that. So if someone has this AVR (TX-SR706) and a BD,HD player, please try this scenario and report back. This would be GREAT! if it did work. As I could bitsream and just select this listening mode when I want to mix the secondary audio.

It is impossible for a player to combine two audio streams together and bitstream them. So again, it cannot do what you are thinking. And Onkyo support is either wrong, confused or talking about something different.
post #97 of 2825 Old 10-29-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:

It is impossible for a player to combine two audio streams together and bitstream them. So again, it cannot do what you are thinking. And Onkyo support is either wrong, confused or talking about something different.

That is completely possible. I have emailed Onkyo about other things and always get different answers from whomever happens to be answering the emails at the time. That is why I am hoping someone with this player can try that listening mode. I just bought my TX-SR705 several months ago and would only replace it if there were a feature that I had to have.
post #98 of 2825 Old 10-29-2008, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That is completely possible. I have emailed Onkyo about other things and always get different answers from whomever happens to be answering the emails at the time. That is why I am hoping someone with this player can try that listening mode. I just bought my TX-SR705 several months ago and would only replace it if there were a feature that I had to have.

No, it is not possible on a Blu-Ray player, period!

It order to mix the two tracks it must be decoded first. This is done in the player and sent as LPCM.
post #99 of 2825 Old 10-29-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:

No, it is not possible on a Blu-Ray player, period!

It order to mix the two tracks it must be decoded first. This is done in the player and sent as LPCM.

No, I meant it is completely possible that Onkyo support is incorrect in their statement.
post #100 of 2825 Old 10-29-2008, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, I meant it is completely possible that Onkyo support is incorrect in their statement.

My bad, sorry.
post #101 of 2825 Old 11-01-2008, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboccio View Post

I returned my 706 due to over heating problems: The component video upconversion would blank out when the receiver was on for an extended time ( 3 + hours). The receiver was on top of a table all on its own. The video would blank out whenever there was an overly bright image while watching a DVD. When the receiver was cold the same image would pass fine.
To bad, otherwise the receiver seemed fine (compared to the Denon 1909 and Yamaha 633).
Onkyo is the only receiver I have tried that actually knows what an "on screen display/menu" is!

I have exactly the same problem. Cold unit is OK, but getting hotter, its losing HDMI output. I'm up-converting component signal and HDMI is only cable passing video to my plasma.

I had full-size DVD player sitting ontop of my receiver, so I took it off and situation got better. Still some rare siglal losses sometimes...
post #102 of 2825 Old 11-01-2008, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qvantamon View Post

I'm having a similar issue on component-hdmi, but on my Wii. I nailed it down to something specific. It seems to be something to do with the component's sensitivity/reference level. Symptoms:

1) Highlights are squashed. For example, on the wii's message screen, you cannot see the envelope borders or the lines in the "paper". Other screens that are supposed to be striped in white/light color are also just white. anti-aliased fonts look funky because the borders transition too harshly into white, etc. It's easy to see this if you look at some snow photos - they all look plain white.

2) Any screen that's "too white" causes the receiver to lose signal. I know it's the receiver because it outputs the blue screen after the TV is done resyncing. Some examples on the wii are the white transition screens, the message screen, and any webpage with white background.

3) as soon as I "darken" the screen (e.g. press home button on wii, which will fade to dark) the signal gets back.

4) The signal loss only happens on component (either 480p or 480i). On composite the highlights are still squashed, but there's no loss of signal.

5) Even on component, it doesn't happen always. It seems to happen more once the receiver is warmed up. After reading your msg I tried a reset (my speaker was already cold), and it seemed to help with the dropouts for a bit (highlights still squashed, but no dropouts), but once it warmed up the dropouts came back. I tried resetting again to no avail.

What I presume is happening is that the white reference level/sensitivity is off, which could cause all light colors to be clipped to white, and real white to be off bounds. The upscaler may be able to deal with small "too white" parts, but once a screen has too much white, the receiver detects the whole signal as "out of bounds" and drops the signal.

You can try recording a disc with all-white jpegs (and some with very light gray detail, e.g. snow pictures), to check if your issue is similar to mine.

I have same thing. Looking through cable set to box, I tend to loose siglan in transitions like ad's or similar. I found that temperature is one parameter, I believs its due of overheating Faroudja DCDi Cinema scaler.
post #103 of 2825 Old 11-07-2008, 04:06 AM

I had problems with component -> HDMI upscaling. HDMI signal blanked out when receiver warmed up. I changed the receiver under the warranty and new one doesn't has this problem. Aso everything else is fine, including Audyssey.
post #104 of 2825 Old 11-07-2008, 08:29 AM

Is it a good Idea to buy refursbished units directly from Onkyo. Shop Onkyo is selling refurbed 706S's for 399 with an extra 10% this weekend. Awful good price.

This a no-brainer? Mine would be in a concealed cabinet so I could care less if it's silver.
post #105 of 2825 Old 11-07-2008, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerhC View Post

Is it a good Idea to buy refursbished units directly from Onkyo. Shop Onkyo is selling refurbed 706S's for 399 with an extra 10% this weekend. Awful good price.

This a no-brainer? Mine would be in a concealed cabinet so I could care less if it's silver.

The price is good but the warranty is only 90 days. However, anything that may go wrong will usually happen sooner rather than later. As for the "concealed cabinet", make sure you have adequate ventilation.
post #106 of 2825 Old 11-07-2008, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMAG View Post

The price is good but the warranty is only 90 days. However, anything that may go wrong will usually happen sooner rather than later. As for the "concealed cabinet", make sure you have adequate ventilation.

Yes I believe after reading some of the posts this may be an issue. I don't have adequate ventilation. There are openings in the back for cabling and such but that is about it no air flow. I have a Denon 3803 in there right now and it gets pretty darn hot but I have never issues whatsover.
post #107 of 2825 Old 11-07-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMAG View Post

The Warranty is 1 year not 90 days.

Refurbished Products:

Receivers & Amplifiers 1 year Parts & labor
Tuners, Equalizers & Processors 1 year Parts & labor
Cassette Decks & Mini Disc 1 year Parts & labor
CD, DVD Players & Turntables 1 year Parts & labor
Speakers 1 year Parts & labor
Mini systems 1 year Parts & labor
post #108 of 2825 Old 11-08-2008, 12:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Those looking for a good deal ($350 shipped) on the 706 look here:
http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=1000717

War Eagle!
post #109 of 2825 Old 11-09-2008, 01:25 AM

Just got my 706, works fine but a few questions.
How do I use 2 sets of fronts speakers? (in a 5.1 setup)

Is this the same a "bi-amp" set up? (I though this would be used on One set).

Can I use the two sets as A or B and AB.

My speakers (Quadral, sony and Art Sound) have different Impedance (4 -8 ohm) according to the manual it is not clear if I need to use 4 or 6 ohm setting, I seems I can only set the setting for all speakers not per set.
Which setting should I use and can I mix them?

TX
post #110 of 2825 Old 11-09-2008, 06:20 AM

You should change it under warranty. Onkyo importer told that component -> HDMI upconversion blanking is issue with some receivers. I had same issue and it was solved by changing the receiver.
post #111 of 2825 Old 11-11-2008, 10:22 PM

Hyp0xia said:
"...the tech guy had this crazy theory that the cube satellite speakers which point in different directions were cancelling the sound in the Audyssey mic. At this point I was willing to try anything, so I adjusted the speaker to point in the same direction and to my astonishment I was able to calibrate using Audyssey."

Could one of the speakers be out of phase perhaps (wires connected crossed on one speaker)?
post #112 of 2825 Old 11-13-2008, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Just joined the club, I got one of the refurb units with the 10% off, so it was 377 shipped. I ordered it on Sunday, it was on my doorstep at 8am tuesday before the tracking info was even posted. The web-site says refurb units don't come with batteries, cables etc. but this seemed to have everything.

The unit seems in good shape, just a slight mark on the front panel. Its going into the same tight space in a closed cabinet as my Denon 4800 so fingers-crossed on heat issues. The Denon was pretty hot too and has been fine for several years. I have a Samsung blu-ray player and 2 DirecTV HR20 dvrs connected HDMI only and my PC's digital audio out to the Coax1 input

Audyssey calibration went OK, the only issue is that it has the sub-woofer so low it keeps going into stand-by. I needed to use the auto-power option on the sub because the 706 doesn't have a switched power outlet, something I failed to notice before ordering.

Occasionally after I make some OSD changes while watching an HDMI source, when I exit I get NO SIGNAL! and need to do something at the source to get video again.

One complaint so far - the lack of info on-screen. I still need to open the cabinet door and look at the front panel to find basic info like Audio setting, FM/XM station etc. I should be able to get that on-screen. Also, I love the ability to name the sources, but it doesn't change in the OSD menus so I have to try and remember that "DirectTV 1" used to be "Cbl/Sat" etc.
post #113 of 2825 Old 11-13-2008, 01:08 PM

So, I am a retro gamer, and made the mistake of buying a Sammy DLP, what this means is I have a bad video lag when plugging any of my old consoles into the TV (any 480i signal). 480p works great! I have a solution for upconverting 480i to 480p, but was wondering how the upconvert looks on the 706? Anyone try it?

This is my deciding factor between the 606 and 706. Thanks!
post #114 of 2825 Old 11-14-2008, 10:51 AM

Hola, I just bought a silver 706 refurb from shop Onkyo for a grand total of $349.10.. Boy that was just too good to pass up. Now a blu-ray player and I'll be living the high def life with my planar 7150 and Time warner hd cable. On another note, has anyone had any issues with the PS3 and this receiver? That is what I am leaning towards right now.
post #115 of 2825 Old 11-15-2008, 07:19 AM

I just bought the Onkyo 706 from One Call for $536 and I love it. It was easy to set up and the speaker calibration worked great. The distance measurements were right on. I run my HD DVD and DirecTV HD signals via HDMI 1.3 and I had zero problems setting it up. THEN, I kept noticing a momentary audio drop off and assumed it was the DirecTV signal, so I tested it with a DVD. Unfortunately, it still happens. It is a very short drop with no indication on the 706 that signal was lost, but it is very annoying and definitely interrups your listening pleasure. Has anyone had this problem? Is there a different setting I should have it on? I don't want to return it, if I do not have to. I really am happy with the unit except for that AND it needs another fan inside for cooling.
Thanks.

/s/ Floyd
post #116 of 2825 Old 11-15-2008, 08:47 PM

I have been bouncing between this and the 606 for about 4 days now.

I pulled the trigger on the silver referb from shoponkyo for the -10% ($40) and another $45 of onkyo points. So like $315 shipped. I am happy with that price.

Anyway, I am upgrading from the 605 due to my addition of 2 speakers to make a 7.1 system, and the lack of matrixing of PCM content on the 605.

This thread is crawling though, why is that? Haha The 606 is hopping!

Anyone have any hints on this puppy? Thoughts?
post #117 of 2825 Old 11-16-2008, 06:27 AM

Yeah, for $349.10, this is a hard deal to pass up... so I pulled the trigger on it. I will review it based on my needs once it gets in
post #118 of 2825 Old 11-17-2008, 12:20 PM

Hey guys, new member here. I just installed my new 706 over the weekend. I replaced my TX-NR801 as I needed HDMI and I was out of component ports on the 801. I really like the 706. Picture output is good and it sounds great! Better than the 801 and I really liked that receiver. Setup was a mofo but it was my fault. Got the receiver on Friday and tried hooking it up before my new HDMI cables arrived on Saturday. The OSD is hdmi only. Too many settings to try using the receiver display. I should have just waited. Once I had all the cables I could use the OSD and that made things way easier. I had a lot of mis-wirings because I was in such a rush and didnt have adequate light behind my equipment rack. I should know better but.... I spent hours troubleshooting my HD DVR's not working with the receiver. I was ready to throw the 706 out into the street! My DVR has DVI output and I was using a DVI to HDMI adaptor. After much cursing and troubleshooting I came to the conclusion that the adaptor was the problem. Said F it and went the component route. Worked like a charm. PS3 Blu-Ray looks fantastic on my 61" LCoS 720p. Sound is wonderful. The Audyssey calibration is spot on! We watched Get Smart last night and it was everything I hoped for with the upgrade. I cant wait to watch a movie with Dolby TrueHD or DTS-Master. I also plan to Bi-amp my JBL's when I get some more speaker cable. I'm using JBL northride E-series speakers and Monster Cable THX cable. I paid $20 for 100' so dont judge me. Lol. I give this receiver a big thumbs up!

P.S. It looks a lot nicer than my old TX-NR801. The remote is pretty too.
post #119 of 2825 Old 11-17-2008, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

I did a quick scan of this thread and didn't see links to reviews. Apologies if this is already posted:

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/rec...-receiver.html
post #120 of 2825 Old 11-17-2008, 12:53 PM

I read that last week. Good stuff!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo , Onkyo Tx Sr706 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver Black , Onkyo Tx Sr605 Receiver , Toshiba , Toshiba 52hm84 120 Watt Tv Lamp Replacement
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page