The "official" The Onkyo TX-SR706 Owners Thread - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1171 of 2825 Old 03-08-2009, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got my system hooked up today with help from a few friends. Everything worked perfect. No problems with the receiver or anything.

I think I need to mess with the sub some. I need more bass. I know nothing about any of the settings. I went through the automatic settings and that was it.

The only real question I have is about my PS3. I am using HDMI for everything. I have been searching for an hour and I get several responses.

Should I have the PS3 set to bitstream or PCM? If I put it on bitstream, on the receiver it shows DTS or whatever it's playing.

If I put it on PCM it shows multi channel.

I am guessing with bitstream the receiver is doing the processing, which is why is shows it, and PCM the PS3 is doing it and just passes the signal.

Is this correct?

Thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 2825 Old 03-08-2009, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilJayV10 View Post

I got my system hooked up today with help from a few friends. Everything worked perfect. No problems with the receiver or anything.

I think I need to mess with the sub some. I need more bass. I know nothing about any of the settings. I went through the automatic settings and that was it.

The only real question I have is about my PS3. I am using HDMI for everything. I have been searching for an hour and I get several responses.

Should I have the PS3 set to bitstream or PCM? If I put it on bitstream, on the receiver it shows DTS or whatever it's playing.

If I put it on PCM it shows multi channel.

I am guessing with bitstream the receiver is doing the processing, which is why is shows it, and PCM the PS3 is doing it and just passes the signal.

Is this correct?

Thanks for any input.

You'll want it set to PCM in order to get the best audio from Blu-Ray. The PS3 will decode Dolby TrueHD and DTS-MA to PCM and send them to the receiver. If you set the PS3 to bistream you'll only get standard DD and DTS for audio.
post #1173 of 2825 Old 03-08-2009, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post

You'll want it set to PCM in order to get the best audio from Blu-Ray. The PS3 will decode Dolby TrueHD and DTS-MA to PCM and send them to the receiver. If you set the PS3 to bistream you'll only get standard DD and DTS for audio.

This would imply that the HDMI output from the PS3 is not 1.3 (required for DTS HD Master Audio bitstream but not for Dolby TrueHD bitstream I think). I looked up the PS3 on the Sony site, and the lack of detail in the specifications is puzzling to say the least.
post #1174 of 2825 Old 03-09-2009, 12:15 AM

I have tried both and they "sound" about the same.

The center channel speaker, shouldn't that be just voices? No sound? It sounds like the center speaker is doing a lot more than the left and rights. If I remember right the auto calibration set the center speaker at higher value than the others.

I know nothing about this at all.
post #1175 of 2825 Old 03-09-2009, 12:45 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I have tried both and they "sound" about the same.

The center channel speaker, shouldn't that be just voices? No sound? It sounds like the center speaker is doing a lot more than the left and rights. If I remember right the auto calibration set the center speaker at higher value than the others.

The center channel handles a lot more than just voices, and it is responsible for a greater portion of the audio than the left and rights at times. This is why it is very important to have a quality center channel speaker.

If the auto cal set the center higher, it just means it isn't as efficient as the mains, which is pretty common.

post #1176 of 2825 Old 03-09-2009, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 View Post

This would imply that the HDMI output from the PS3 is not 1.3 (required for DTS HD Master Audio bitstream but not for Dolby TrueHD bitstream I think). I looked up the PS3 on the Sony site, and the lack of detail in the specifications is puzzling to say the least.

The PS3 has HDMI 1.3a deep color, but does not pass the Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master codecs. It decodes them internally and sends them to your receiver as Multichannel PCM.

post #1177 of 2825 Old 03-09-2009, 04:59 AM

The SR-706 is picky about input display resolutions. Even in 'through' mode, it only accepts exact standard resolutions like 1280x720P or 1920x1080P but no custom resolutions like 1919x1080P (which are needed to avoid overscan on many LCD TVs, including mine). The overscan issue doesn't bother me too much as I primarily use a media center application (Frontrow on a Mac Mini), but be aware of this if you intend to use this receiver with a HTPC.
post #1178 of 2825 Old 03-09-2009, 11:01 AM

While I await delivery of a new 706 I have a question.

I assume that when you set a HDMI to 'through' it will still process the audio on the HDMI while sending the video through to the display. Correct?

Basically I want the 706 to send the video on to my plasma unmolested while still processing the audio on the HDMI.
post #1179 of 2825 Old 03-09-2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tym2relax View Post

While I await delivery of a new 706 I have a question.

I assume that when you set a HDMI to 'through' it will still process the audio on the HDMI while sending the video through to the display. Correct?

Basically I want the 706 to send the video on to my plasma unmolested while still processing the audio on the HDMI.

You are correct.
post #1180 of 2825 Old 03-09-2009, 04:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by tym2relax View Post

Basically I want the 706 to send the video on to my plasma unmolested.

There are reports the 706's THROUGH mode clips BTB and WTW video information.
For Videophiles, this is unacceptable.
However, YMMV.

Unfortunately, I will have to run my BD player directly to my plasma and hook-up the audio via analog cables to the 706.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #1181 of 2825 Old 03-09-2009, 04:33 PM

I didn't notice any difference with the video quality passing through the receiver but I am not a videophile.

I am in the process of reading the manual. Is there any setting to send more power to the sub?

Thanks.
post #1182 of 2825 Old 03-09-2009, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvtdude View Post

The PS3 has HDMI 1.3a deep color, but does not pass the Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master codecs. It decodes them internally and sends them to your receiver as Multichannel PCM.

So the PS3 cannot bitstream ANYTHING?
post #1183 of 2825 Old 03-09-2009, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

However, YMMV.

Unfortunately, I will have to run my BD player directly to my plasma and hook-up the audio via analog cables to the 706.

I ask again: Can you see the difference?

I read many reports where most LCDs will not display below black and many plasmas neither. What is different about your setup that this makes you so mad?
post #1184 of 2825 Old 03-09-2009, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is the second time you have made this statement. Have you bothered to read the owner's manual at all? I spent a couple hours a day for a week before even taking my 706 out of the box.
post #1185 of 2825 Old 03-09-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 View Post

So the PS3 cannot bitstream ANYTHING?

It has settings for bitstream through the HDMI and Optical Out. I don't know why it won't carry the codecs for Dolby True HD and DTS Master. I read somewhere that it is a hardware issue with a chip.

post #1186 of 2825 Old 03-09-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:

I didn't notice any difference with the video quality passing through the receiver but I am not a videophile.

I am in the process of reading the manual. Is there any setting to send more power to the sub?

Thanks.

Aren't you using a powered sub? What do you mean by "send more power to the sub?"

post #1187 of 2825 Old 03-09-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

However, YMMV.

I run my PS3 through my 706 and the picture is gorgeous. Is it just that you know BTB is being clipped that bothers you, because I've never thought my blacks were lacking.

post #1188 of 2825 Old 03-09-2009, 05:22 PM

http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/ca...vels-xvycc-rgb

This is a good discussion about BTB and WTW. What I get out of it is that they are important for calibration and not for actually watching BluRay or DVD, because they aren't encoded with BTB or WTW.

post #1189 of 2825 Old 03-09-2009, 07:03 PM

Finished my reset and re-Audyssey after a read of the Audyssey thread and doc file. I think my problem was I had the volume on the sub to loud during calibration. Oddly enough, the Audyssey did give incorrect distance on my surround speakers but everything else is fine. I did end up changing the setting on the sub to 120Hz.

I'm still not crazy about listening to music CD's in stereo mode (2.1 speakers). I find the Acoustic mode & PLII Music mode sound the best.

I might experiment with another set of speakers in zone 2 just for kicks.
post #1190 of 2825 Old 03-09-2009, 08:25 PM

Hi everyone,
I'm having a problem getting video to display from my Sony BDP-S550 blu-ray player. I have my BDP-S550 and my DirecTV HD box hooked up to my Onkyo 706 with HDMI and an HDMI from my Onkyo to a Samsung HP-S5053, which is NOT 1080p. Everything is working great with DirecTV. When I switch my Onkyo to DVD mode, I get audio from the blu-ray but no video. During my troubleshooting, I hooked up a Pioneer BDP-51FD that I have in another room to this same setup and everything worked fine so I have isolated the issue to the Sony blu ray player. Why am I able to get audio through the HDMI connection but no video? When I switch to DVD, the front panel on my Onkyo displays "Resolution Error." My TV displays "Not supported mode." I have tinkered with a few settings in my Onkyo setup changing the HDMI to 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p, and Through and none of the settings worked. I thought maybe this was an issue because this TV is not 1080p, but the Pioneer appeared to work fine. I'm not sure how to access the Sony setup menu because I can't get the menu to display on the TV. Is there a setting I need to change or is this a handshake issue between the BDP-S550 and the Onkyo 706 (wouldn't think so)?
post #1191 of 2825 Old 03-09-2009, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkdog View Post

Hi everyone,
I'm having a problem getting video to display from my Sony BDP-S550 blu-ray player. I have my BDP-S550 and my DirecTV HD box hooked up to my Onkyo 706 with HDMI and an HDMI from my Onkyo to a Samsung HP-S5053, which is NOT 1080p. Everything is working great with DirecTV. When I switch my Onkyo to DVD mode, I get audio from the blu-ray but no video. During my troubleshooting, I hooked up a Pioneer BDP-51FD that I have in another room to this same setup and everything worked fine so I have isolated the issue to the Sony blu ray player. Why am I able to get audio through the HDMI connection but no video? When I switch to DVD, the front panel on my Onkyo displays "Resolution Error." My TV displays "Not supported mode." I have tinkered with a few settings in my Onkyo setup changing the HDMI to 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p, and Through and none of the settings worked. I thought maybe this was an issue because this TV is not 1080p, but the Pioneer appeared to work fine. I'm not sure how to access the Sony setup menu because I can't get the menu to display on the TV. Is there a setting I need to change or is this a handshake issue between the BDP-S550 and the Onkyo 706 (wouldn't think so)?

I'd guess you have the Sony Bluray's resolution set to 1080p and the TV won't accept it.

post #1192 of 2825 Old 03-09-2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bookshelf View Post

Finished my reset and re-Audyssey after a read of the Audyssey thread and doc file. I think my problem was I had the volume on the sub to loud during calibration. Oddly enough, the Audyssey did give incorrect distance on my surround speakers but everything else is fine. I did end up changing the setting on the sub to 120Hz.

I'm still not crazy about listening to music CD's in stereo mode (2.1 speakers). I find the Acoustic mode & PLII Music mode sound the best.

I might experiment with another set of speakers in zone 2 just for kicks.

What kind of speakers do you have? If regular stereo doesn't sound good to you, it may be the speakers. When I listen to CD's I listen in direct or Pure Audio, bypassing Audyssey altogether. I have Vandersteen 1C's and love them.

post #1193 of 2825 Old 03-10-2009, 08:57 AM

I have checked all over this thread and the 606's thread for this question to be answered and I cant seem to find the answer. So here it goes:

Say I'm playing my PS3 or Wii.. a game like the "MLB the Show" or Wii sports and I'm sick and tired of hearing the game is there ANY way i can play my PS3 or Wii and listen to my Ipod through the 706? Is it possible? And if so how, I have my ipod hooked up to the aux now with a pair of composite cables. Im gonna be really bummed if I cant do both. I have all my components to my tv running through the 706 through an HDMI.

Please can someone help me out!!

PS3 gamer tag: Coop
post #1194 of 2825 Old 03-10-2009, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfsburg2002 View Post

I have checked all over this thread and the 606's thread for this question to be answered and I cant seem to find the answer. So here it goes:

Say I'm playing my PS3 or Wii.. a game like the "MLB the Show" or Wii sports and I'm sick and tired of hearing the game is there ANY way i can play my PS3 or Wii and listen to my Ipod through the 706? Is it possible? And if so how, I have my ipod hooked up to the aux now with a pair of composite cables. Im gonna be really bummed if I cant do both. I have all my components to my tv running through the 706 through an HDMI.

Please can someone help me out!!

You should be able to select an A/V source like your PS3, then select an audio only source like radio or CD and get the video from the PS3 and audio from the audio only source. If it doesn't work with Aux, try connecting your ipod to CD.
post #1195 of 2825 Old 03-10-2009, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks.

The setting is the Volume/Gain knob on your sub. It controls the power. Assuming you calibrated with the Gain set at about 1/3 to 1/2 as recommended repeatedly, you should have plenty of volume left to crank.
post #1196 of 2825 Old 03-10-2009, 10:21 AM

what is the best Ipod dock for the 706?....I've checked out the ds-ax2, but I saw alot of complaints about the OSD
post #1197 of 2825 Old 03-10-2009, 11:04 AM

Thanks Kplex.......I'll try it when I get home. Your help is much appreciated!!

Coop

post #1198 of 2825 Old 03-10-2009, 12:09 PM

My friend just picked this unit up. It's a nice, easy setup and having an on-screen menu system is a nice bonus.

He has a 7.1 speaker setup but we noticed that in any non-7.1 material the SBL/SBR are silent. Even in 5.1 material in it's native sound (DTS, DD, etc) it doesn't place the rear sounds at the rear. Does anyone know if this can be corrected?
post #1199 of 2825 Old 03-10-2009, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by voth View Post

My friend just picked this unit up. It's a nice, easy setup and having an on-screen menu system is a nice bonus.

He has a 7.1 speaker setup but we noticed that in any non-7.1 material the SBL/SBR are silent. Even in 5.1 material in it's native sound (DTS, DD, etc) it doesn't place the rear sounds at the rear. Does anyone know if this can be corrected?

That is the way it is supposed to be. Surrounds are on your side (5.1). When you move to 7.1 you get the back surrounds. You can turn on PLIIx Movie or other modes and use all 7 speakers on 5.1 material.

Many people think think with 5.1 the surrounds should be behind you but that is not correct.
post #1200 of 2825 Old 03-10-2009, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voth View Post

Use the DolbyEX listening mode:

5.1-channel source + Dolby EX
These modes expand 5.1-channel sources for 6.1/7.1-
channel playback. They’re especially suited to Dolby EX
soundtracks that include a matrix-encoded surround
back channel. The additional channel adds an extra
dimension and provides an enveloping surround sound
experience, perfect for rotating and fly-by sound effects.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo , Onkyo Tx Sr706 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver Black , Onkyo Tx Sr605 Receiver , Toshiba , Toshiba 52hm84 120 Watt Tv Lamp Replacement
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page