post #1561 of 2828 Old 05-02-2009, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvtdude View Post

If you end up in San Diego, head over to Fred's Mexican Grill for dinner. Mmm, Mmm!!!

Nope. Anaheim. But one of my co-workers out there is of Mexican descent. He takes us to REAL mexican restaurants to eat. Last time we were there he took us to some dive for lunch. He knows I like my food HOT, so he orders something for me in Spanish. The waitress just looked at me and shook her head. When it came out, I ate it all! But it was HOT. My friends were inpressed!

To keep this related, I watched Hellboy II, my only real 7.1 BD. Sounded Great. I'm going to rearrange my surrounds a little today to get a little more space between the rear and side surrounds, then re-run Audyssey.

Oh, and after watching the movie with the volume set to -16 (quite loud in my small room), I was able to comfortably rest my hand on the top of the 706.

Resident Curmudgeon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1562 of 2828 Old 05-02-2009, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 View Post

Nope. Anaheim. But one of my co-workers out there is of Mexican descent. He takes us to REAL mexican restaurants to eat. Last time we were there he took us to some dive for lunch. He knows I like my food HOT, so he orders something for me in Spanish. The waitress just looked at me and shook her head. When it came out, I ate it all! But it was HOT. My friends were inpressed!

To keep this related, I watched Hellboy II, my only real 7.1 BD. Sounded Great. I'm going to rearrange my surrounds a little today to get a little more space between the rear and side surrounds, then re-run Audyssey.

Oh, and after watching the movie with the volume set to -16 (quite loud in my small room), I was able to comfortably rest my hand on the top of the 706.

Apparently, you like your Receivers "HOT" too!
post #1563 of 2828 Old 05-02-2009, 10:55 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tattootearz View Post

Maybe "Onkyo" is Japanese for "habenero?"

post #1564 of 2828 Old 05-03-2009, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

I think that's wasabi.

A Nice Radio Station with Great Music. For Those That Like That Sort of Thing:

post #1565 of 2828 Old 05-03-2009, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhskyTangoFoxtrt View Post

I think that's wasabi.

"Comfortably rest my hand" means I was able to place my hand directly over the top vents of the 706 and leave it there. I did NOT have to jerk my hand away while screaming in pain. I would call that at most "chipotle" hot, which doesn't even register on my "hot meter."

Resident Curmudgeon

post #1566 of 2828 Old 05-03-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhskyTangoFoxtrt View Post

I think that's wasabi.

But we were talking Mexican food....even if the receiver is Japanese.

post #1567 of 2828 Old 05-03-2009, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Whatever it takes to keep this thread alive, count me in.... anyone want to have a senseless forum beef?

Hey blue... I think u stink and ur a Pansy for living in your mom's basement LOL....

ltv, u want some??? huh??

NO, seriously.... this Receiver is clearly the best of the bunch right now and it hurts me to see all these other lower quality units getting all the rage around here....

Im gonna set mines on fire tonight so we can have something to post about LOL.... BRB!
post #1568 of 2828 Old 05-03-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:

Whatever it takes to keep this thread alive, count me in.... anyone want to have a senseless forum beef?

Hey blue... I think u stink and ur a Pansy for living in your mom's basement LOL....

NO, seriously.... this Receiver is clearly the best of the bunch right now and it hurts me to see all these other lower quality units getting all the rage around here....

Im gonna set mines on fire tonight so we can have something to post about LOL.... BRB!

It's lvt (Licensed Veterinary Technician), but anyway...

If anyone thinks his receiver is better, he is mistaken. What other receiver has Audyssey, THX Certification and can roast marshmallows???

post #1569 of 2828 Old 05-03-2009, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

It's lvt (Licensed Veterinary Technician), but anyway...

If anyone thinks his receiver is better, he is mistaken. What other receiver has Audyssey, THX Certification and can roast marshmallows???

Well, I just finished watching Terminator 2 on Blu-Ray. Interestingly, the soundtrack is either Dolby Digital EX or DTS ES-Matrix. Both lossy. I think the DTS sounds a little cleaner through the 706 than the DD, but the DTS track is about 4 db quieter (had to raise the volume from -16 for DD to -12 for DTS).

Its now 12:30 am in Virginia. Got to pack and get up early to head to the airport and sunny southern California (its raining here). My computer access will be limited where I am going (Yeah, Anaheim, but WERE in Anaheim is classified. Even my wife doesn't know. ). Be back in a week.

Resident Curmudgeon

post #1570 of 2828 Old 05-03-2009, 10:59 PM

hey everyone had my 706 for about a week now and had it set up for 5.1 and just today got all of my speakers for my 7.1 setup (energy c-100) after hooking them all up and trying audyssey when it came to my right side surround i got no sound so obviously the setup failed. i went through and checked my speaker wire and made sure everything was all connected right and still i get no sound from it not even from the speaker level screen i swapped the front right speaker to that output and still no sound so its something with the receiver. while i was searching on here for some sort of answer i heard the receiver click (had it powered off) so i turned it on and it had sound for about 4 seconds and then it dropped that channel again. has anyone seen anything like this?? guessing it had something to do to heat but the receiver is well ventilated and it was not on for very long please help
post #1571 of 2828 Old 05-03-2009, 11:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by squish72 View Post

hey everyone had my 706 for about a week now and had it set up for 5.1 and just today got all of my speakers for my 7.1 setup (energy c-100) after hooking them all up and trying audyssey when it came to my right side surround i got no sound so obviously the setup failed. i went through and checked my speaker wire and made sure everything was all connected right and still i get no sound from it not even from the speaker level screen i swapped the front right speaker to that output and still no sound so its something with the receiver. while i was searching on here for some sort of answer i heard the receiver click (had it powered off) so i turned it on and it had sound for about 4 seconds and then it dropped that channel again. has anyone seen anything like this?? guessing it had something to do to heat but the receiver is well ventilated and it was not on for very long please help

Have you checked your wiring to the right surround? I had a similar issue in the past with a Marantz receiver that had auto setup. Tried swapping speakers as you did, still happened. I physically inspected the wire from the speaker to the receiver and even disconnected and reconnected to make sure their were no stray strands I couldn't find. I finally wound up running new wire to that speaker and wala everything worked. Something was amiss in that speaker wire lead even though I couldn't physically find it and the strange thing is I had been using it for a year with no issues and have no reason to think or even figure out how anything could have damaged it the way I had it ran.
post #1572 of 2828 Old 05-04-2009, 03:29 AM

firmware updates available?
1. I got the 706 for more than one month, I'm just wondering is there any new firmware update available for the main and DSP? During machine turning on, I can click "Display" and then "On/Standby" together to show the main/DSP firmware version.

2. I see there is a RS232 port at back of the machine, I'm sure it's used for the firmware updates, does anyone have the procedure how to update firmware?

Thanks!
post #1573 of 2828 Old 05-04-2009, 03:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ter9999 View Post

firmware updates available?
1. I got the 706 for more than one month, I'm just wondering is there any new firmware update available for the main and DSP? During machine turning on, I can click "Display" and then "On/Standby" together to show the main/DSP firmware version.

2. I see there is a RS232 port at back of the machine, I'm sure it's used for the firmware updates, does anyone have the procedure how to update firmware?

Thanks!

There is none listed on the website and I haven't heard of any so I would be very confident in saying no. Are you inquiring due to an issue or just curious? Usually it's best to stay away from updates unless they will benefit an issue you're having or a feature add on.
post #1574 of 2828 Old 05-04-2009, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman02 View Post

There is none listed on the website and I haven't heard of any so I would be very confident in saying no. Are you inquiring due to an issue or just curious? Usually it's best to stay away from updates unless they will benefit an issue you're having or a feature add on.

Thanks for your confirmation. I didn't encounter any issues so far. But I searched the forum, some users on ohter models have updated there Onkyo AVR, like 998..
post #1575 of 2828 Old 05-04-2009, 05:35 AM

Quote:

Go get some sun, every things fine here, 706 is running like a charm, no issues at all. Enjoy yourself.

What he said.

Best HT Receiver I have owned to date.

Referb from shoponkyo.
post #1576 of 2828 Old 05-04-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ter9999 View Post

Thanks for your confirmation. I didn't encounter any issues so far. But I searched the forum, some users on ohter models have updated there Onkyo AVR, like 998..

The 605 had a firmware update, but only applied to early models. I would think if they had an update for the 706 it would've happened already.

post #1577 of 2828 Old 05-04-2009, 10:54 AM

Hi, everyone. I'm relatively new to the forum (a few months), but have appreciated the loads of information and advice from members here. I'm hoping you all can help me or guide me to more information.

I've run into an annoyance that's growing into a problem. The display goes dark for several seconds whenever I change the volume on my system or when the audio signal switches, for example from 5.1 to 2 channel.

I have my moto hd cable box and my ps3 both hooked up through HDMI, and the receiver is set to passthrough. The display will drop out from either source. It didn't happen when I had direct HDMI connections for both sources to my TV (Pioneer Huro Elite 50").

It seems like some sort of handshake issue, but I haven't found anyone with this problem from searching the site.
post #1578 of 2828 Old 05-04-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurik13 View Post

Hi, everyone. I'm relatively new to the forum (a few months), but have appreciated the loads of information and advice from members here. I'm hoping you all can help me or guide me to more information.

I've run into an annoyance that's growing into a problem. The display goes dark for several seconds whenever I change the volume on my system or when the audio signal switches, for example from 5.1 to 2 channel.

I have my moto hd cable box and my ps3 both hooked up through HDMI, and the receiver is set to passthrough. The display will drop out from either source. It didn't happen when I had direct HDMI connections for both sources to my TV (Pioneer Huro Elite 50").

It seems like some sort of handshake issue, but I haven't found anyone with this problem from searching the site.

Have you tried turning "Immediate Display" off?

post #1579 of 2828 Old 05-04-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:

Have you checked your wiring to the right surround? I had a similar issue in the past with a Marantz receiver that had auto setup. Tried swapping speakers as you did, still happened. I physically inspected the wire from the speaker to the receiver and even disconnected and reconnected to make sure their were no stray strands I couldn't find. I finally wound up running new wire to that speaker and wala everything worked. Something was amiss in that speaker wire lead even though I couldn't physically find it and the strange thing is I had been using it for a year with no issues and have no reason to think or even figure out how anything could have damaged it the way I had it ran.

yes i have tried new speaker wire and a strange thing is that after messing with it for a while i found out that in the level config if i turn that speaker up to +3 db it kicks on and works then i can turn it down and it still works if i go out of that screen and then go back in it is off and i have to turn it up again to get any audio out of it. . . . so strange! if i leave it turned up it works just fine i would just leave it but it bugs cause its not right
post #1580 of 2828 Old 05-04-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:

Have you tried turning "Immediate Display" off?

Thanks, I'll try it.

I missed that part in the manual -- I think. Back to reading. Is there a test!!??
post #1581 of 2828 Old 05-05-2009, 05:49 AM

Best receiver i've ever owned; beats the old Sony receiver I used to have.

- Barry
post #1582 of 2828 Old 05-05-2009, 08:53 AM

Problem solved. Thanks, lvtdude.
post #1583 of 2828 Old 05-05-2009, 03:03 PM

Well im new to the 706 ownership and slowly im getting to tune with it. Im having no issues with upscaling that some seem to mention but i have a few questions.

First can i get it to default to HDMI3 not 4 on turning on???

Second Why does the OSD need turning off for 36bit? and is it really worth it?
post #1584 of 2828 Old 05-05-2009, 04:23 PM

Well I'll help you keep the thread alive by asking a few questions for a potential buyer of the TX-SR706.

I owned an older Onkyo (the 602 I think?) was pretty happy with it, but needs were not big.

First I would like to clear up this whole blue spot issue - is it a defect with certain units or should I definitely expect this problem and under what circumstance?

Next, my older onkyo was only able to output over the same input source (s-video to s-video, composite to composite, rca to rca, etc). I want the ability to plug in any source, be it s-video, composite, etc and have it output to any source. Most likely I will be outputting to only hdmi and composite but would like s-video as an option. Can the Onkyo do this or is it still crippled like my older model? It would be nice that it upconvert the lower quality sources, but my main concern is that it doesn't dimish their quality.

Also, what is the true level of Audessey support on this system and does it work well (need volume adjustment for leveling out sounds in apartment building).?

Zones: Does it have multiple zones? That's also maybe the wrong term for what I want. I would like to be able to switch channels. For instance, if I had a speaker on each wall acting as a front, rear, two sides and I put a TV in front and behind me and sometimes watched the front one, and sometimes the back, does the unit have the ability to easily switch which is the front/left/right/back channel without rewiring? (I know that sounds weird, and my example is extreme...but trust me it's a function I could use).

And finally, from all you owners, if you had it to do over again, would you still go with the 706? What do you like least about it that I should be wary about?

thanks guys !
post #1585 of 2828 Old 05-05-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalih View Post

Well I'll help you keep the thread alive by asking a few questions for a potential buyer of the TX-SR706.

I owned an older Onkyo (the 602 I think?) was pretty happy with it, but needs were not big.

First I would like to clear up this whole blue spot issue - is it a defect with certain units or should I definitely expect this problem and under what circumstance?

Next, my older onkyo was only able to output over the same input source (s-video to s-video, composite to composite, rca to rca, etc). I want the ability to plug in any source, be it s-video, composite, etc and have it output to any source. Most likely I will be outputting to only hdmi and composite but would like s-video as an option. Can the Onkyo do this or is it still crippled like my older model? It would be nice that it upconvert the lower quality sources, but my main concern is that it doesn't dimish their quality.

Also, what is the true level of Audessey support on this system and does it work well (need volume adjustment for leveling out sounds in apartment building).?

Zones: Does it have multiple zones? That's also maybe the wrong term for what I want. I would like to be able to switch channels. For instance, if I had a speaker on each wall acting as a front, rear, two sides and I put a TV in front and behind me and sometimes watched the front one, and sometimes the back, does the unit have the ability to easily switch which is the front/left/right/back channel without rewiring? (I know that sounds weird, and my example is extreme...but trust me it's a function I could use).

And finally, from all you owners, if you had it to do over again, would you still go with the 706? What do you like least about it that I should be wary about?

thanks guys !

The blue dot issue is related to bad HDMI boards on early production runs. Mine (purchased in December) exhibited the issue. I am picking it back up from the repair center on Friday (after about 2 1/2 weeks) and hopefully that will be the end of the issue.

It definitely will output all input sources via HDMI (upconverted or pass-through), but I do not believe that it upconverts to any other output (i.e, component). If I understand correctly, the 806 will upconvert via component to 1080i.

My experience with Audessey calibration has been extremely positive; the receiver sounds SIGNIFICANTLY better than the SONY it replaced with the same speakers (Infinity).

I haven't used the ZONE 2 feature.

In my case the receiver was a gift, but I would be hard pressed to find as good a receiver for the money. If it was given to me again I would accept it again.

Hope that helps your decision process.
post #1586 of 2828 Old 05-05-2009, 04:57 PM

thanks...good to know that at least they acknowledge the blue spot issue now and that it shouldn't appear on newer units..

as far as the video... you seemed to only answer half the question, will it also downconvert/pass through? If I plugged in for instance my cable/sat box with composite or HDMI but output it to s-video? I probably won't need this with some new equipment I'm getting, but I like the flexibility.

the channel switching / zone thing is also important to me...so if anyone can talk to that would be appreciated.
post #1587 of 2828 Old 05-05-2009, 05:42 PM

Quote:

as far as the video... you seemed to only answer half the question, will it also downconvert/pass through? If I plugged in for instance my cable/sat box with composite or HDMI but output it to s-video? I probably won't need this with some new equipment I'm getting, but I like the flexibility.

I haven't had the need nor tried to do that. Perhaps someone else has.
post #1588 of 2828 Old 05-06-2009, 04:44 AM

Zone 2 is one of the features i bought this for. From what i have read and will be testing shortly is Zone 2 is audio only and will play any alternative input to Zone 1 OR will play the same. I have just got to sort a minor wiring issue and i will be set to testing this fully. Once done i will post the full functionality.
post #1589 of 2828 Old 05-06-2009, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

the channel switching / zone thing is also important to me...so if anyone can talk to that would be appreciated.

No, there's no way to reassign which speakers are which in a multichannel setup without rewiring.
post #1590 of 2828 Old 05-06-2009, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

as far as the video... you seemed to only answer half the question, will it also downconvert/pass through? If I plugged in for instance my cable/sat box with composite or HDMI but output it to s-video?

No, you cannot do that. You must connect the 706 to your display via the same type of connection or use HDMI. You can choose to upconvert or pass the signal.

I probably won't need this with some new equipment I'm getting...

You're right.

Enjoy!

A Nice Radio Station with Great Music. For Those That Like That Sort of Thing:

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo , Onkyo Tx Sr706 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver Black , Onkyo Tx Sr605 Receiver , Toshiba , Toshiba 52hm84 120 Watt Tv Lamp Replacement
Gear in this thread - 52hm84 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page