Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by chumpy View Post

Alright here is my problem. I have the following equipment:
Samsung LN46A650
PS3 Slim
Onkyo TX-SR706 (of course)

I have the PS3 going into the Onkyo via HDMI and then exiting over HDMI into the TV. When I turn on the PS3 and it's at the XMB, I get what looks like fire in the background. Sometimes it's red sometimes it's blue. If I fire up a 1080p Blu-ray movie it disappears. If I fire up a 720p PS3 game such as Resident Evil 5, it's non-existent. Now if I put in a 1080p game such as Call of Duty Black Ops, I get the blue fire (artifacts?) on all of the black/dark areas of the game. If I force the game to run in 720p, then it is fine. If I plug the PS3 directly into the back of the TV then all is well. So why in the world do I get this fire/artifacts only when I'm at the XMB (which displays at 1080p) and play a game in 1080p? Blu-ray movies are perfectly fine as are games displayed in 720p. I have the receiver signal set to "Through." Is it the repeater? I just don't understand why BD's looks fine but PS3 games and the XMB do not.

Read the post right above yours and see if that helps.

A Nice Radio Station with Great Music. For Those That Like That Sort of Thing: RadioParadise.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2612 of 2828 Old 12-04-2010, 06:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
my tx sr706 seems to have a bad hdmi output. my equipment: onkyo 706, comcast hd dvr, samsung bluray player, panasonic 46" plasma, all connected via HDMI. upon power up, hd picture from dvr wouldn't show up, so I'd have to switch to an SD channel for sync, then go to HD channel. eventually, the picture would show after lots of static. NOW, there is no picture at all from DVR or Bluray, just random static. Audio passes fine. I tried switching HDMI inputs on the plasma, switching HDMI cable from onkyo to plasma with no luck. connected DVR and bluray directly to TV and they work fine. has anyone had this problem before?? I've only had this unit for 2 years. Thanks in advance..
post #2613 of 2828 Old 12-08-2010, 02:22 PM

Well, Crutchfield had the answer for me. the 706 can be reset by turning on the power, then holding down the "VCR" button and the power button. the unit then powers down. when you power it back up, the unit has been reset to factory defaults and the picutre worked perfectly. I now have to relable, and redo all of my settings, but it works!!
post #2614 of 2828 Old 12-08-2010, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydanbom View Post

Well, Crutchfield had the answer for me. the 706 can be reset by turning on the power, then holding down the "VCR" button and the power button. the unit then powers down. when you power it back up, the unit has been reset to factory defaults and the picutre worked perfectly. I now have to relable, and redo all of my settings, but it works!!

Congratulations -- it's nice when it's an easy fix to get stuff working again.

I don't mean to pick on you too much, but I guess I should point out that this procedure is documented in the owners manual as well as is this thread a few times.

Enjoy!

A Nice Radio Station with Great Music. For Those That Like That Sort of Thing: RadioParadise.com

post #2615 of 2828 Old 12-29-2010, 06:02 PM

I have a TX-SR706 (about 2 years old) and all the input HDMI ports seem to have stopped working. The output HDMI seems ok because I can see the setup menu on the TV, but nothing comes through the inputs. The HDMI inputs are assigned to an input selector too, I have triple checked. When clicking over to an input, the HDMI light flashes on the display, then it comes up "no signal". This is true for all 4 inputs. Component and composite connections work though.

Things I have tried:
- Reset to factory defaults (clear)
- Reset all the input selectors
- Tried all HDMI inputs
- Tried different HDMI cable

Any settings that might have been changed to cause this?
Did something like the HDMI board maybe go out?

Any ideas would be great, thanks a lot!
post #2616 of 2828 Old 01-01-2011, 08:18 AM

New PS3 user:

HDMI to Onkyo 706 system...

What are recommended settings/tweaks that i might use for optimal output?

thanks!
post #2617 of 2828 Old 01-01-2011, 11:37 AM

I`m assuming you got yourself a newer `slim` ps3.

Not too much to do with the 706 besides setting the ps3 to bitstream the audio to the receiver, that way the DDTrueHD and DTSHDMA lights will light up. That is always exciting to see....

Aside from that, I`m not sure what other settings you want to have activated. Just set the Onkyo video mode to `through`, and that should be it. I`m trying to think if I have any other settings altered for ps3 usage, but I don`t recall I do.

Should be pretty straight forward.
post #2618 of 2828 Old 01-01-2011, 12:26 PM

been awhile now since i've toyed with my Onkyo....
not to be stupid, but............

Looking at PS3, how do i set to bitstream in the audio parameters? There is automatic, and manual of course.

When i look at Automatic, there are multiple audio formats checked...

And, Where are the Onkyo HD True Audio lights when it is bitstreamed properly?

So are you changing your setup with PS3 for movies, music, concerts etc, or just leave it set?

thanks so much
post #2619 of 2828 Old 01-01-2011, 12:33 PM

The option for bitstream or PCM is somewhere in the settings column of the ps3's XMB. You dont have to go through the whole setup process as you describe above. There are only 2 options: PCM or bitstream. Select the bitstream option.

The HD audio light is in the front display of the 706. It will also display what kind of audio it is decoding: DolbyTrueHD, DTS-HD-MA , MultiChn PCM, or something to that extent will be present in the display area of the 706.

Just set it one time, and you never have to change it ever again.
post #2620 of 2828 Old 01-09-2011, 12:18 PM

Hey Devo , im just in the process of reading entire thread , on # 71 now uggh. About the Bitstream and PCM . I want to see the fancy lights as well but when i go to select Bitstream it says " some audio portions of BD might not be played " ? That doesnt sound good.....also is there a simpletons way to explain the difference between the 2 types ?

Thanks for any help

Chris
post #2621 of 2828 Old 01-09-2011, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispyclot View Post

Hey Devo , im just in the process of reading entire thread , on # 71 now uggh. About the Bitstream and PCM . I want to see the fancy lights as well but when i go to select Bitstream it says " some audio portions of BD might not be played " ? That doesnt sound good.....also is there a simpletons way to explain the difference between the 2 types ?

Thanks for any help

Chris

Hi Crispyclot, difference in short version:
LPCM = the source will do the decoding
Bitstream = the receiver will do the decoding

So if you have a fat PS3 (which can't Bitstream) set it to LPCM.
If you have the new slim PS3, it can be set to either. For the fancy light set it to Bitstream.

In the PS3 XMB, for the receiver to do the decoding set "BD/DVD Audio Output Format (HDMI)" to Bitstream which is found under Video Settings.
Also make sure to set "Audio Multi-Output" to Off which is found under Sound Settings.

And also note sometimes a Blu Ray disc will default to the standard DD/DTS track, so you might have to manually select the TrueHD/DTS-MA soundtrack. Normally this will be found under Audio or Language Setting.
post #2622 of 2828 Old 01-09-2011, 01:36 PM

Thanks JChin , im just in tweaking phase so trying to get it all sorted out . What about what i said in earlier post ...." when i go to select Bitstream it says " some audio portions of BD might not be played " ? Should that be a concern ?
post #2623 of 2828 Old 01-09-2011, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks JChin , im just in tweaking phase so trying to get it all sorted out . What about what i said in earlier post ...." when i go to select Bitstream it says " some audio portions of BD might not be played " ? Should that be a concern ?

That's probably referring to secondary audio, commentary, etc.

post #2624 of 2828 Old 01-09-2011, 02:45 PM

Thanks WTFx , i guess if i run into any audio issuses i can put it back to PCM for that portion of audio if needed

Ive went thru a # of BR's with differ audio formats to check it all out , the lights are nice to see light up .

Heres a bunch of questions all about PS3 Slim 250G to the 706 ( gonna go thru Xbox settings after ) if u or JChin or any others have time to answer

1. When playing "Devils Rejects" , DTS HD High Res audio is used , On the 706 the speaker config on the left is lit up and showing working speakers. On the bottom row in the middle between my 6 and 7 it has SB without the speaker box around it . My sub and all speakers are lit up and boxed like they should what is this ?

2.When playing other BR's with TrueHD sometimes when the 706 is figuring it out , it will say "dialogue Norm +4 " is this a True HD thing or just the 706 adjusting itself ?

3. Heres a couple about PCM & Bitstream ...If PCM is selected on the PS3 does DTS , TrueHD , and other audio formats ,are they still working and just not lit up on 706 ?
What about movies with PCM 5.1 Uncompressed audio if bitstream is used from the PS3 ? Confusing ( to me ) since both machines do same thing ...706 just does it better ?

4. And a quick one for my Sub connected to the 706 , what are good starter settings for my Polk PSW505 .Its hooked up from pre-out Sub on 706 to LFE in on Sub . Has a Low Pass knob that starts at 60 and goes up to 120 . And has a Phase 'switch' which is either 0 or 180 ?

Thanks for any help

Chris
post #2625 of 2828 Old 01-09-2011, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:

Thanks WTFx , i guess if i run into any audio issuses i can put it back to PCM for that portion of audio if needed

Ive went thru a # of BR's with differ audio formats to check it all out , the lights are nice to see light up .

Heres a bunch of questions all about PS3 Slim 250G to the 706 ( gonna go thru Xbox settings after ) if u or JChin or any others have time to answer

1. When playing "Devils Rejects" , DTS HD High Res audio is used , On the 706 the speaker config on the left is lit up and showing working speakers. On the bottom row in the middle between my 6 and 7 it has SB without the speaker box around it . My sub and all speakers are lit up and boxed like they should what is this ?

2.When playing other BR's with TrueHD sometimes when the 706 is figuring it out , it will say "dialogue Norm +4 " is this a True HD thing or just the 706 adjusting itself ?

3. Heres a couple about PCM & Bitstream ...If PCM is selected on the PS3 does DTS , TrueHD , and other audio formats ,are they still working and just not lit up on 706 ?
What about movies with PCM 5.1 Uncompressed audio if bitstream is used from the PS3 ? Confusing ( to me ) since both machines do same thing ...706 just does it better ?

4. And a quick one for my Sub connected to the 706 , what are good starter settings for my Polk PSW505 .Its hooked up from pre-out Sub on 706 to LFE in on Sub . Has a Low Pass knob that starts at 60 and goes up to 120 . And has a Phase 'switch' which is either 0 or 180 ?

Thanks for any help

Chris

1. its for 6.1 setup.

2. sorry can't really explain in detail.

3. yes LPCM will not display DTSHD/TrueHD on the receiver. Playing BD either LPCM or Bitream are the same (to my ears I can't tell the difference - others may disagree). When playing BD with LPCM settings, press "Select" button on controller and top right corner of tv will display the audio output.

4. before running auto setup, set subwoofer volume to about 10 o'clock, Phase to "0" and Low Pass to "120".
post #2626 of 2828 Old 01-09-2011, 10:13 PM

Thanks alot JChin , clears up some things for sure . I think i got the PS3 pretty tweaked now. Since i use my new Xbox as a Telus Optik PVR im gonna go thru all those settings tomorrow and see what can be adjusted .

Thanks again

Chris
post #2627 of 2828 Old 01-10-2011, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I would not be concerned, as this most likely pertains to a secondary audio track contained on the disc, or main menu sounds, or pop-up menu navigation sounds, etc. The movie soundtrack should not in any way be affected, only possibly extra sounds/effects conatined on the disc "layered on top" of the movie soundtrack, such as in-movie commentary, where you can still hear the soundtrack playing softly, but an actor or director is explaining the current scene in detail or what-not.

That being said, I have never ran into a problem with playing any soundtrack from a BD, but I never access any extras or commentary. I strictly just watch/listen to the film.
post #2628 of 2828 Old 01-10-2011, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Dialogue Normalization is a Dolby technology that allows volume levels to remain steady from movie to movie, program to program, anything that uses a Dolby soundtrack. This tech has been used on many recievers for a few years now, and should not cause an issue. It simply 'levels out' sountracks so they output at around the same level.

I believe that Dolby has began to market this tech recently as "Dolby Volume", for which thay now have a fancy logo to paste on the front of newer recievers. From my understanding, it is the same thing as Dialogue Normalization.
post #2629 of 2828 Old 01-10-2011, 08:35 AM

"Dialogue Normalization is a Dolby technology that allows volume levels to remain steady from movie to movie, program to program, anything that uses a Dolby soundtrack. This tech has been used on many recievers for a few years now, and should not cause an issue. It simply 'levels out' sountracks so they output at around the same level."

After playing around with many other BD's with various audio formats , i noticed it did it on other BD's as well as with the True HD ones. Then i went thru the settings on the 706 and there it was ! I think its called Intellivolume in the options , will confirm after 1st coffee heh

Thanks again , now comes the Xbox tweaking . The only thing i noticed during initial quick testing is that when i switched over to the Xbox from PS3 or other sources that it was REAL loud , with huge bass . Scared the hell outta me it was so loud heh
post #2630 of 2828 Old 01-10-2011, 11:20 AM

Not to derail ya TX just got a ongoing tweak of the system i just hooked up .

Xbox 360 and 706 - used for gaming , and as a new Telus Optik TV PVR (set-top box)
Only a few things so far , all to do with volume control .

Am going to test all activites now just to make sure , also when switching from playing a blu-ray in the PS3 or other things , when switching back to the Xbox its LOUD , scared the crap outta me loud , any ideas ?

Revised list ...

Should Audio option on Xbox be DD 5.1 or DD w/WMA Pro , and what is the latter ....

As Set-Top Box = Xbox Vol and Mute work
706 Vol and Mute work , no OSD

@ Dashboard = Xbox no Vol and Mute

Playing game = Xbox no Vol or Mute

Movie DVD = Xbox no Vol or Mute

So just curious is this a normal thing for all actions ? Main thing is the OSD of the 706 i would like to see .

Thanks

Chris
post #2631 of 2828 Old 01-13-2011, 06:37 PM

Anyone know where I could order an HDMI board for a TX-SR706? Mine seems to have gone out .

Thanks a lot!
post #2632 of 2828 Old 01-15-2011, 10:38 AM

I think on Onkyo's site they have a dealer locator , i live in a city with 1.5 million people and there is only 1 here .....good luck .
post #2633 of 2828 Old 01-19-2011, 10:09 AM

Can you not simply plug an Ipod into the 706 ??? For $ 800 you gotta be sh#$%^in me !!!

Was told ....." You can use a 3.5 mm to red & white rca cable and use one of the inputs which support that connection." is this true ?
post #2634 of 2828 Old 01-19-2011, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Can you not simply plug an Ipod into the 706 ??? For $ 800 you gotta be sh#$%^in me !!!

Was told ....." You can use a 3.5 mm to red & white rca cable and use one of the inputs which support that connection." is this true ?

Yes.

post #2635 of 2828 Old 01-19-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhskyTangoFoxtrt View Post

Yes.

which input ...?

Nvm ...brain fart Aux im assuming
post #2636 of 2828 Old 01-20-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:

which input ...?

Nvm ...brain fart Aux im assuming

Actually maybe im not on glue , there is no Aux RCA input so where would it go , i plugged it into Phono ( i have no idea about this stuff ) and sounded like sandpaper over a hemmorhoid . Then into CD input , sound was clear but very low ....is that the best its going to be ? Or Tape input ?
post #2637 of 2828 Old 01-20-2011, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Actually maybe im not on glue , there is no Aux RCA input so where would it go , i plugged it into Phono ( i have no idea about this stuff ) and sounded like sandpaper over a hemmorhoid . Then into CD input , sound was clear but very low ....is that the best its going to be ? Or Tape input ?

Try CD. Turn the volume to max on the iPod.

post #2638 of 2828 Old 01-20-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhskyTangoFoxtrt View Post

Try CD. Turn the volume to max on the iPod.

Looks like i am partially challenged heh .... the Aux is on the front of the 706 , it works just fine but i used CD , cause its in the back and could be hidden , and tweaked it ( turned up Ipod damn near full ) and adjusted litening modes and voila !!

Thanks again , sometimes i get way ahead of myself , damn coffee !!

So the additional Ipod dock is just for remote control of Ipod then ...?
post #2639 of 2828 Old 01-20-2011, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
...So the additional Ipod dock is just for remote control of Ipod then ...?
Yes.

post #2640 of 2828 Old 01-27-2011, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey gang.

Check your Audyssey microphone that was included with your 706 for calibration.

Apparently there are two models that were shipped. The incorrect ACM1 and the correct ACM1H.

To receive a replacement mic, contact Onkyo.

The contact information is:
Tel : 201-785-2600 (select Product support option)
or email: onkyoadmin@us.onkyo.com

More info here.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo , Onkyo Tx Sr706 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver Black , Onkyo Tx Sr605 Receiver , Toshiba , Toshiba 52hm84 120 Watt Tv Lamp Replacement
Gear in this thread - 52hm84 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page