Old 03-19-2011, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by devo235 View Post

Ok, I re-ran Audyssey and now my centre channel speaker reads as being crossed-over at 150hz. Does this level seem exceedingly high to you guys?

According to its specs -- maybe.

I put a slight tilt on the centre channel, about a 1/3 inch, but the receiver still set it at 150hz.

-Does this mean that all frequencies below 150hz will be directed to the subwoofer?

Yes.

-Will this 150hz x-over work well with my mains which are set to 80hz (receiver set them to Full Band, which I then raised to 80hz) I know the Audyssey setup guide dictates never lowering x-over settings, but raising them is perfectly fine.

I watched a few scenes from some select BD's and the front soundstage seemed cohesive enough, it felt natural as things moved across the the front channels.

You may have answered your own question.

I apologize for being so nit-picky, but as most of us know, we simply want to maximize the potential of our gear.

Comes with the territory.

A Nice Radio Station with Great Music. For Those That Like That Sort of Thing: RadioParadise.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2011, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone on here have definitive technology speakers with your 706 receive? I have 2 DT BP2002 TL's and a CLR 2300 center and 4 bp 1.2x surrounds, I want to know what crossover settings you're using if you have something close.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:45 AM

I have 706 and I am running with 2 Def Tech BP-8040ST with built in subs as my two front speakers and CS-8060HD also with a builtin powered sub. I am trying to discen what are the best settings I should be using to maximize these speakers. Currently I have my front and center set to full band> I am getting good base from these systems but I want to ensure that I am maximizing their capaabilities. If I use THX whether it be THX Movie, Music or game, the base seems to be low. On Dolby Digitial or mosty other settings they seem to have agood boominess.

Any thoughts suggestions, is this expected.....
Old 05-02-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaswad23 View Post

I have 706 and I am running with 2 Def Tech BP-8040ST with built in subs as my two front speakers and CS-8060HD also with a builtin powered sub. I am trying to discen what are the best settings I should be using to maximize these speakers. Currently I have my front and center set to full band> I am getting good base from these systems but I want to ensure that I am maximizing their capaabilities. If I use THX whether it be THX Movie, Music or game, the base seems to be low. On Dolby Digitial or mosty other settings they seem to have agood boominess.

I'm running my 2002tl's with line level inputs with a y-connector from one sub to the other, I have my crossover set to 80 hz For the front and 80 hz for the center which is also powered. But I'm just using speaker wires to run the sub. The towers sound just awesome but I'm like you if o can get more I want more. I always use the THX processing at all times. This sounds the best to me.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:55 AM

This is my setup.
LL
Old 05-02-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thx5150 View Post

This is my setup.

This is my setup
LL
Old 05-02-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:

I guess just to be clear. the 8040's have powered subs as well. i am using a Y cable for the LFE inputs on these.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:

I guess just to be clear. the 8040's have powered subs as well. i am using a Y cable for the LFE inputs on these.

As far as I can tell it don't get any better than that. What about your center?
Old 05-02-2011, 12:51 PM

No LFE going to the center, can't squeeze out a third connection. Actually I just haven't looked for a cable with three connections. Maybe I will do that today.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaswad23
No LFE going to the center, can't squeeze out a third connection. Actually I just haven't looked for a cable with three connections. Maybe I will do that today.
Mine is not wired that way either. When I upgrade my receiver I hope to have 2 sub outputs and I can y one to the center.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Do you ever go on the DT forum? There is hardly activity on here.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thx5150 View Post
Do you ever go on the DT forum? There is hardly activity on here.
No but I will go check them out.
Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:

No but I will go check them out.
Thanks for the advice.
There is a lot of people that can help. Otk and ksmitty are really big help. There are more but these guys are smart.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:15 AM

Yeah this site seems to be pretty dead...
Old 05-06-2011, 02:40 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Why would you want to send LFE to the center channel??? Centers aren't usually made to handle frequencies that low, and I would think doing so would impair the center's ability to reproduce dialog and other fine details. That's why a sub is used for LFE.

Maybe I'm missing something here?

Old 05-20-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvtdude View Post

Why would you want to send LFE to the center channel??? Centers aren't usually made to handle frequencies that low, and I would think doing so would impair the center's ability to reproduce dialog and other fine details. That's why a sub is used for LFE.

Maybe I'm missing something here?

My center has a powerd sub builtin.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:

My center has a powerd sub builtin.

LFE is the .1 channel and should only go to the subwoofer. Are you just talking about redirected bass, such as that below your crossover?
Old 06-02-2011, 12:13 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoboy View Post

I'm looking to connect the my headphone amp. to the 706B.
I'm trying to figure out which RCA (R/L) output jacks to use on the 706B?
Or would all the RCA output jacks be the same?

I still can not get a signal on the RCA (red/white) outputs on the back of my 706B, any ideas?

Yamaha RX-V671 receiver
Infinity Beta 5.1
Samsung UN55FH6200F (Costco) LCD TV
Old 06-02-2011, 01:11 AM

I'm thinking of purchasing an Onkyo amp the TX NR509 - your thoughts???
Old 06-02-2011, 01:56 AM

Quote:

I still can not get a signal on the RCA (red/white) outputs on the back of my 706B, any ideas?

I don't know which outputs you've tried yet, but if you want a fixed output level, I would use the "Tape Out" jacks, that are right next to the CD output. You will probably have to select "Tape" as if you were trying to tape them with a cassette deck in order for the signal to route to the tape outputs.

If you want a variable output, then I would use the the zone 2 line out. If using zone 2, make sure the zone 2 out is activated in the set up menu. I haven't used zone 2 for anything, but I seem to remember it can't be used when 7.1 surround is used. The other variable output that could be used is the "Front Pre Out" located between the "Surr Back" and "Subwoofer Pre Out."

Using the "Front Pre Out" may disable the front speaker channel amplifier. This is intended to be used for an external front channel power amp.

I think using zone 2 is your best bet, and if you tried that already, with no results, then I'd guess the zone 2 isn't turned on in the setup menu.

Good luck.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:10 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

I don't know which outputs you've tried yet, but if you want a fixed output level, I would use the "Tape Out" jacks, that are right next to the CD output. You will probably have to select "Tape" as if you were trying to tape them with a cassette deck in order for the signal to route to the tape outputs.

If you want a variable output, then I would use the the zone 2 line out. If using zone 2, make sure the zone 2 out is activated in the set up menu. I haven't used zone 2 for anything, but I seem to remember it can't be used when 7.1 surround is used. The other variable output that could be used is the "Front Pre Out" located between the "Surr Back" and "Subwoofer Pre Out."

Using the "Front Pre Out" may disable the front speaker channel amplifier. This is intended to be used for an external front channel power amp.

I think using zone 2 is your best bet, and if you tried that already, with no results, then I'd guess the zone 2 isn't turned on in the setup menu.

Good luck.

I learned at least one good thing, the 706B's headphone jack works just fine with my Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250-Ohm headphones, which is more then I can say for my Asus Xonar DX sound card.

Yamaha RX-V671 receiver
Infinity Beta 5.1
Samsung UN55FH6200F (Costco) LCD TV
Old 06-02-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:

I learned at least one good thing, the 706B's headphone jack works just fine with my Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250-Ohm headphones, which is more then I can say for my Asus Xonar DX sound card.

It drives my Sennheiser HD-540's well, too. Even my Onkyo CD player's headphone amp is pretty robust.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:24 PM

Onkyo TX-SR706
Panasonic TH-46PZ80U
Samsung BD-C5500 Bluray player
DirecTV HD DVR
All connected VIA HDMI

Here is my issue. Sync/Handshake issues between Bluray, receiver, and panny plasma. When watching a bluray, video and audio will sync and playback without a problem. BUT, SD discs will not show up, I get "no signal" on the onkyo and black or blue screen on TV. Also, if watching BD, or just on the bluray player menu, if I switch to another input, then switch back, I get "no signal" on Onkyo. Also, using netflix streaming on bluray, I get great HD picture, but no sound. The DirecTV unit will sync with HD or SD signals, although whenever I change channels, it blinks a couple of times before it syncs (annoying, but that seems normal for this onkyo receiver) I have read threads about handshake issues between onkyo and panasonic plasmas.
Any advice? I've tried unplugging the onkyo to reset the microprocessor, I've reset the panny, and unplugged all 3 overnight to see if that would reset anything else. I've done literally hours of menu setting changes to the onkyo (through/auto signal process, shutting off OSD, switching to 1080i instead of through). I've also read about a firmware update for european V10 pannys, but nothing for my model. I'm just trying to decipher whether this is a samsung bluray player issue, onkyo receiver issue, or panny plasma issue.. very frustrated, feeling a little defeated..

Help!

thanks!
Old 06-14-2011, 02:51 PM

I'm having handshake issues between my 706 and my SHARP AQUOS TV/ PS3/Comcast DVR. They started just before I got the AQUOS, so I'm pretty sure it's the 706 causing the issue. I don't know if the HDMI board is going, or it just needs a software update (and there isn't one, to my knowledge.)

The problem is annoying, to be sure. I find that if I turn on the 706 first, allow it about 30 seconds then turn on my PS3, then turn on the AQUOS, I get results about 90% of the time. I have noticed a problem with switching resolutions from 1080i to 480p and losing signal. Sometimes it is as simple as turning off the TV and then turning it back on to get the Onkyo to recognize everything.

It is a pain, indeed.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:25 PM

I apologize if this has been asked... I searched and didn't find anything.

Is this receiver 3d compatible? I cannot view 3d content for sources running through the receiver but if I run the sources straight to my TV, everything works good. Are there any settings I need to look at?
Old 06-16-2011, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbrooking View Post

I apologize if this has been asked... I searched and didn't find anything.

Is this receiver 3d compatible?...

No.

A Nice Radio Station with Great Music. For Those That Like That Sort of Thing: RadioParadise.com

Old 06-17-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post

LFE is the .1 channel and should only go to the subwoofer. Are you just talking about redirected bass, such as that below your crossover?

No, each of my towers and actually my center has a LFE input for the builtin subs. I know .1 is for the sub, but you can use a Y cable and send to two subs.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:

No, each of my towers and actually my center has a LFE input for the builtin subs. I know .1 is for the sub, but you can use a Y cable and send to two subs.

True, but can that built in sub really handle 20hz or lower LFE?
Old 06-17-2011, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post

True, but can that built in sub really handle 20hz or lower LFE?

I'd be willing to bet that type of center channel was made for the person that doesn't want a stand-alone sub.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'd be willing to bet that type of center channel was made for the person that doesn't want a stand-alone sub.

Yes, that's one of the marketed benefits.

They can also be for those that want a very efficient speaker (92 dB) that have a solid bass response and are an easy load to drive.

For instance, you could try connecting the built-in-sub speakers, as you would a conventional speaker, with a 80 Hz crossover and redirect your bass to a true-subwoofer. This would be similar to adding power amplifiers or MBMs to a set-up.

Tags
Onkyo , Onkyo Tx Sr706 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver Black , Onkyo Tx Sr605 Receiver , Toshiba , Toshiba 52hm84 120 Watt Tv Lamp Replacement