Harman Kardon AVR 7550HD (2008 announcement) - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1565 Old 11-08-2009, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 71
i think i solved the problem. i went out and bought the PS3 slim which can actualy bitstream out trueHD and dts master.

no such noise now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1565 Old 11-08-2009, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD View Post

That is a new receiver he has. But he might want to email/call Harman customer service to get their suggestions to the problem.

I was joking in bad taste. I would not look at one these untill you can buy them on ebay for $800.00. Even then, I probibly wouldn't because of the Video Processor.
post #273 of 1565 Old 11-08-2009, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W700guy View Post

I was joking in bad taste. I would not look at one these untill you can buy them on ebay for $800.00. Even then, I probibly wouldn't because of the Video Processor.

I wouldn't be so qwik to sell the 7550HD short..
We did a side by side comparison of the Denon 4310CI vs 7550HD driving a 50" Sony Bravia, and the Torino video processor (7550HD) looked significantly sharper than the Anchor Bay VRS. Also the colors looked more crisp and the resolution around the edges was sharper on the 7550HD. In my opinion, the crucial part is based upon the quality of the implementation not the part itself. The Anchor Bay VRS may have some better specs but if not designed well it is likely its performance will be degraded...

The 4310CI does have a couple of features over the 7550HD such as 2 more HDMI inputs, 1 more HDMI output and HD Radio. But the Audyssey EQ didn't perform as well as EZSet/EQ III, and we prefer the Dolby Volume over the Audyssey Volume, better tonal balance and no breathing with high 7.1 levels. But my biggest surprise was the latest version of Logic 7 in the 7550HD delivers a soundstage with better separation than my MC12.. Though the 4310CI has DPL2X it doesn't approach the staging and separation delivery of Logic 7...

But here again each user should use each AVR, set it up carefully and do their own hands on testing to see and hear the differences themselves...

Just my $0.01..
post #274 of 1565 Old 11-08-2009, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post

I wouldn't be so qwik to sell the 7550HD short..
We did a side by side comparison of the Denon 4310CI vs 7550HD driving a 50" Sony Bravia, and the Torino video processor (7550HD) looked significantly sharper than the Anchor Bay VRS. Also the colors looked more crisp and the resolution around the edges was sharper on the 7550HD. In my opinion, the crucial part is based upon the quality of the implementation not the part itself. The Anchor Bay VRS may have some better specs but if not designed well it is likely its performance will be degraded...

The 4310CI does have a couple of features over the 7550HD such as 2 more HDMI inputs, 1 more HDMI output and HD Radio. But the Audyssey EQ didn't perform as well as EZSet/EQ III, and we prefer the Dolby Volume over the Audyssey Volume, better tonal balance and no breathing with high 7.1 levels. But my biggest surprise was the latest version of Logic 7 in the 7550HD delivers a soundstage with better separation than my MC12.. Though the 4310CI has DPL2X it doesn't approach the staging and separation delivery of Logic 7...

But here again each user should use each AVR, set it up carefully and do their own hands on testing to see and hear the differences themselves...

Just my $0.01..

Have you viewed the Torino processor against the Reon No rolling of eye's needed I think the only thing we can agree with in purchasing the HK is L7.

On Audyssey vs EZ Set...I think I will wait on a few more Independent reviews

But, who is selling this product Short. It is HK. Because the ones that really like them, pay $1,500.00 to $2,000.00 more for them then the one's who wait to buy them under 1k after a year or so.

just my .009872
post #275 of 1565 Old 11-08-2009, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Have you viewed the Torino processor against the Reon

Check out the new Onkyo 1007 and 3007..
The 1007 uses the Torino and 3007 uses the Reon-VX, both have the ISF calibration feature. At the recently held Onkyo AVR distributor product session, Brad (Onkyo Product Manager) presented both models using 1080p deep color source material through the same HD display (Sharp Aquos) and even he said they were about equal. If there was a difference not any of the attending 45 techs (CEDIA certified) could tell any difference..
So again I think it is pertinent not to fall into the marketing trap..

Quote:

I think the only thing we can agree with in purchasing the HK is L7.

Here again, one cannot quantify the sonic differences but again IMHO the latest version of Logic 7 is incredible..

Quote:

On Audyssey vs EZ Set...I think I will wait on a few more Independent reviews

The low frequency handling by EZSet EQ III, especially in the crucial <350Hz lower part of the bass spectrum is impressive.. Very smooth without any boominess, the peaks/resonances are ironed out..
But as we have mentioned several times the Harman team of Dr.Toole and Dr.Olive have developed some incredible features, and were even doing the multiple subwoofers years before anyone else..

Quote:

But, who is selling this product Short. It is HK. Because the ones that really like them, pay $1,500.00 to $2,000.00 more for them then the one's who wait to buy them under 1k after a year or so.

Can't comment on the HK marketing act..
Either they make it happen or they don't...
I do know that certain key HK marketing executives left the brand in June after many years of driving their AVR category. And this may explain why they aren't getting the exposure and huge marketing sucess they enjoyed in the past..

Just my $0.01...
post #276 of 1565 Old 11-08-2009, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Check out the new Onkyo 1007 and 3007..
The 1007 uses the Torino and 3007 uses the Reon-VX, both have the ISF calibration feature. At the recently held Onkyo AVR distributor product session, Brad (Onkyo Product Manager) presented both models using 1080p deep color source material through the same HD display (Sharp Aquos) and even he said they were about equal. If there was a difference not any of the attending 45 techs (CEDIA certified) could tell any difference..
So again I think it is pertinent not to fall into the marketing trap..

I didn't know that HK uses the ISF calibration feature...sounds like apples to oranges comparison in application to me.

Quote:

Here again, one cannot quantify the sonic differences but again IMHO the latest version of Logic 7 is incredible..

sure

Quote:

The low frequency handling by EZSet EQ III, especially in the crucial <350Hz lower part of the bass spectrum is impressive.. Very smooth without any boominess, the peaks/resonances are ironed out..
But as we have mentioned several times the Harman team of Dr.Toole and Dr.Olive have developed some incredible features, and were even doing the multiple subwoofers years before anyone else..

Again, I will need more information.

Quote:

Can't comment on the HK marketing act..
Either they make it happen or they don't...
I do know that certain key HK marketing executives left the brand in June after many years of driving their AVR category. And this may explain why they aren't getting the exposure and huge marketing sucess they enjoyed in the past..

Just my $0.01...

I think it was more of a service issue with AVR's in the past few years But, again I may be interested to look at one when these come down below 1k. You never know...

I will give anyone a second chance. I did with Onkyo

Note, I have never purchased a prepro or receiver in consecutive order, from the same mfgr ever. The reason, every time I was ready to purchase, the brand I owned didn't have the best unit, in that class, for that year. But then, I am only speaking of products under 3k. Just not into Appliqu├ęs.
post #277 of 1565 Old 11-08-2009, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 62
Quote:

I think it was more of a service issue with AVR's in the past few years But, again I may be interested to look at one when these come down below 1k. You never know...

You may be in for a long wait. They're already at 1/2 list, through one seller.
I wouldn't bet the 7550 drops below 1k until/if there are refurbs.
When I bought a 635 in Jan. '05 I got it for < 2/3 shortly after they came out, I never saw a lower price until Hk started selling refurbs more than a year later.
post #278 of 1565 Old 11-08-2009, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

4DHD,
what is funny, the consensus on the Referbs by many of the posters here including the OP is that they are better then new units. I guess their reasoning is that they have been checked out for a second time.
post #279 of 1565 Old 11-08-2009, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

4DHD,
what is funny, the consensus on the Referbs by many of the posters here including the OP is that they are better then new units. I guess their reasoning is that they have been checked out for a second time.

Yes, that's been the case over the last 3~4 years, but we don't know that will be the case with the 7550. Considering that the 7550 came out a year late would suggest that HK took the time to get it right the first time, or one would hope.
Much like Parasound has delayed their next pre/pro until next year to work out the HDMI problems.
post #280 of 1565 Old 11-08-2009, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I didn't know that HK uses the ISF calibration feature...sounds like apples to oranges comparison in application to me.

Read carefully..
I said that Onkyo used the ISF calibration not HK..
Point stated was that Onkyo uses both the Torino and Reon processors in their new AVRs, and to the CEDIA trained installer audience after seeing both processors being demoed no differences were observed..

Again as previously mentioned don't fall into the marketing trap, for the latest/greatest hype...

My suggestion would be rather than shooting @ the 7550HD, pick up a unit and spend some time with it. I think a hands-on tests is the only way to validate the mentioned points..

Just my $0.01..
post #281 of 1565 Old 11-09-2009, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Read carefully..
I said that Onkyo used the ISF calibration not HK..
Point stated was that Onkyo uses both the Torino and Reon processors in their new AVRs, and to the CEDIA trained installer audience after seeing both processors being demoed no differences were observed..

Again as previously mentioned don't fall into the marketing trap, for the latest/greatest hype...

My suggestion would be rather than shooting @ the 7550HD, pick up a unit and spend some time with it. I think a hands-on tests is the only way to validate the mentioned points..

Just my $0.01..

I am usually buying bleeding edge technology, but, after looking at the last few revs of the processors from that company, I have not been very excited, well compared to the Reon Processor. That is not Hype, nor the latest and greatest thing. No marketing trap. That HQV processor has been out for 3 years.

I am not shooting at the 7550HD. But I am sceptical. I was not very happy with the 7300 that you stated was a great receiver. Almost looked at purchasing a 745, but, had too many problems and HDMI 1.3 was comming out.

Like I said, lets see what happens, you Never know I may buy one when the price comes down to levels that HK Flagship receivers are known for
post #282 of 1565 Old 11-14-2009, 02:36 PM

Liked: 10
First off, has anyone switched from Marantz to HK? Can you tell me your thoughts.

Second, I do enjoy my 8002 but always love the HK sound. I have SVS SCS-01's as my mains and center channel with SVS SBS-01's as my surrounds (7.1) and a SVS PB 12-NSD for my sub.

Am I crazy for considering the switch or will there be a noticeable difference. I understand that the 7550HD has video processing capabilities where the Marantz does not. I use my system for 80% HT and 20% music.

I appreciate any thoughts or recommedations.
post #283 of 1565 Old 11-14-2009, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_canada View Post

First off, has anyone switched from Marantz to HK? Can you tell me your thoughts.

Second, I do enjoy my 8002 but always love the HK sound. I have SVS SCS-01's as my mains and center channel with SVS SBS-01's as my surrounds (7.1) and a SVS PB 12-NSD for my sub.

Am I crazy for considering the switch or will there be a noticeable difference. I understand that the 7550HD has video processing capabilities where the Marantz does not. I use my system for 80% HT and 20% music.

I appreciate any thoughts or recommedations.

I had a Marantz 880 and replaced it with a HK 635 in '05. The sound between the two brands is quite similar, imo, at least at that time. I changed to go from 5 ~7 channel and for HK's L7 processing, which I prefer to DD.
I continued to use the 880 in another room, until I sold that entire setup just last week,
post #284 of 1565 Old 11-15-2009, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
M Code,

Does the 7550HD have EzSet/EQ II ( which is says on the website), or III? Do you know what the differences are? I believe you said that it will not boost any lulls, just cut? How does that compare with Audyssey?

Thanks
post #285 of 1565 Old 11-16-2009, 12:07 AM

Hi Folks

I'm still waiting for the beast to be released in Australia (AVR760... 240V region)

But here is the question - I have 2x Quad 606 power amps (140W RMS/8Ohm - current dumping design) - very nice sounding amps.... in addition to a Quad 405 (100W - same design).

Would I expect better sound using the Harman Power amps or the Quads?

The Quad power amps are very nice units and their current version (909) sells for about the same as the AVR7550HD...

I am considering using the 7550 as simply a pre-pro (I want logic 7 and can't stretch to a Lexicon... although I am replacing a vintage 97 Lexicon DC1)

thanks

David
post #286 of 1565 Old 11-16-2009, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Being you already have the amps, it would be just a matter of comparing the 7550 to the amps. Set up the 7550, play one or another music source for awhile (maybe just a stereo source). Then add one of amps to the main L/R channels and listen to the same source again.
Go with whichever you think sounds best.
post #287 of 1565 Old 11-17-2009, 01:27 PM

Just wondering if anybody has any info on this room eq (see my post a few above about my question) and Audyssey/Trinnov. I have been looking at receivers/processors (7550HD, the Sherwood/Outlaw with Trinnov or a Denon with MultEQ XT).
Basically I am interested in the best room correction to work with my JTR speakers.

Thanks!
post #288 of 1565 Old 11-18-2009, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post

i do have an issue where the volume will get higher on the same source and at the same volume level if you turn off the receiver and turn it back on...this is even with dolby volume set to OFF.

i am thinking the dolby volume thing is a little hokey...

Quote:

as far as the volume getting louder, it does it no matter where the auto volume is set at. for example, i have it at -34 and turn it off and turn it right back on and put it at -34 again and it is much louder. almost like some kind of a loudness feature kicked in. i have calibrated it with the ez set and a radio shack spl meter...

Quote:

Do you have the latest firmware..

Just my $0.015..

What is the current/latest firmware version? Nothing's available to d/l from HK's site at the moment.

No one else have this volume bug?

Thanks

I want Ed on DVD/Blu-ray!
post #289 of 1565 Old 11-18-2009, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 71
i did a hard reset and it seems to have solved the volume problem...

however, now the bass is almost non existant untill i turn off the receiver and turn it back on.

this thing is driving me crazy and h/k is of no help as usual...
post #290 of 1565 Old 11-18-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:

as far as the volume getting louder, it does it no matter where the auto volume is set at. for example, i have it at -34 and turn it off and turn it right back on and put it at -34 again and it is much louder. almost like some kind of a loudness feature kicked in. i have calibrated it with the ez set and a radio shack spl meter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsandvb View Post

What is the current/latest version? Nothing's available to d/l from HK's site at the moment.

No one else have this volume bug?

Thanks

If you all could try this, what happens to your volume?

Do this with volume at any level, but don't change it yourself during test:
Turn on the AVR and play a source, then try switching to an input that's configured to an optical in (but leave this source off/stopped), wait a few seconds, switch to Radio, wait, then back to your first source.

Or start by turning on the AVR to Radio, switch to an input configured for optical in, wait, switch back to Radio.

What happens to your volume? Bass/sub output?

Maybe try it w/ input vol offsets at 0.

post #291 of 1565 Old 11-22-2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:

i did a hard reset and it seems to have solved the volume problem...

however, now the bass is almost non existant untill i turn off the receiver and turn it back on.

this thing is driving me crazy and h/k is of no help as usual...

drewTT, out ofcuriousity, have you completed the EQ setup for both of the 'listening positions' or just one?

How about you other guys?

Quote:

If you all could try this, what happens to your volume?

Do this with volume at any level, but don't change it yourself during test:
Turn on the AVR and play a source, then try switching to an input that's configured to an optical in (but leave this source off/stopped), wait a few seconds, switch to Radio, wait, then back to your first source.

Or start by turning on the AVR to Radio, switch to an input configured for optical in, wait, switch back to Radio.

What happens to your volume? Bass/sub output?

Maybe try it w/ input vol offsets at 0.

Or...

What happens if you power on the AVR with the EQ set to off (turn it off prior, and power off) and while playing your source you go thru the menus and toggle it on? Big jump in volume?

Thx

post #292 of 1565 Old 12-01-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:

Do you have the latest firmware..

Just my $0.015..

Quote:

What is the current/latest firmware version? Nothing's available to d/l from HK's site at the moment.

I guess no one knows...In that case, what version do you all have an your 7550HDs? 4.18 or something? I take it you all have no problems/quirks?

Has anyone lost all settings after a power outage? Or after unplugging from the wall or turning off the power strip?

Thanks for any answers

post #293 of 1565 Old 12-04-2009, 12:37 PM

Does the 7550HD measure the surround speakers when using EZSet/EQII? Also, does anybody have any screen shots of the GUI (and results/EZSet/EQII setup)

Thanks!
post #294 of 1565 Old 12-04-2009, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness77 View Post

Does the 7550HD measure the surround speakers when using EZSet/EQII? Also, does anybody have any screen shots of the GUI (and results/EZSet/EQII setup)

Thanks!

The EzSet/EQ III version in the 7550HD does a near field and far field for all loudspeakers except the (2) subwoofers. The GUI is in HD and is an alpha-blend type (overlays the video stream)..
IMHO..
It is one of the most functional GUI schemes used today..

Just my $0.01...
post #295 of 1565 Old 12-05-2009, 02:00 PM

M Code,
What are the differences in EzSet/EQ II vs EzSet/EQ III? (it says it has EQ II) on the website.

Also, do you know up to what sampling rate the 7550 can take and apply the eq to?

Thanks!
post #296 of 1565 Old 12-05-2009, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

M Code,
What are the differences in EzSet/EQ II vs EzSet/EQ III? (it says it has EQ II) on the website.
Thanks!

The 7550HD has their latest EQ software..
I wouldn't put too much trust in their website info, it has tons of errors.

Quote:

Also, do you know up to what sampling rate the 7550 can take and apply the eq to?

The 7550HD can handle streams up to 192kHz, the sampling rate is determined by what DSP resources are available..
If enough DSP resources are available than it will use 192kHz...

If not..
For example, if the incoming stream is a 192kHz, 7.1 Dolby Tru Audio, Bass Manager, EQ ON all is fine...
But if Dolby Volume is turned ON which uses about 20% of the (2) DSP resources then there will not enough resources to also decode @ 192kHz then it will step-down to 96kHz. Note that other post-processing modes such as Logic 7 will also affect available DSP resources.

Hope that answers your questions.

Just my $0.01....
post #297 of 1565 Old 12-07-2009, 08:43 AM

M Code,

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. Does the EzSet/EQ III help tame the high frequencies (roll them off a little)? Can the room correction be modified/altered any? Also, does the AVR produce a frequency response graph that is shown on the GUI? Are there any target curves that can be selected I would probably be using the 7550 with an external 7 channel amp as well.

Thanks!

Oh one more thing, what is the benefit of applying Logic 7 to Blu-Rays? How does it compare in expanding 5.1 to 7.1 vs PLIIx?
post #298 of 1565 Old 12-14-2009, 02:25 PM

I can maybe get my hands on a US model, but I'm located in Denmark, Europe, so the power might be an issue. Do you think it will work? Ofc. satellite radio won't work I think I read somewhere that certain other features would not work (can't for the life of me remember where I saw that) but all I want is to listen to HDMI sources and pass video through it. I never use the cinema for anything other than movies and gaming!
In fact, I'm only going to use it as a pre-amp because I've got seperates for all the channels driven.
Would be a shame to get it only to fry it once I juice it up with european power!
Would it be enough to get a so-called Step-up transformer like this?
parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=120-815

Thank you for an informative thread.
post #299 of 1565 Old 12-15-2009, 01:28 AM
AVS Special Member

If you want to use the US 7550 with a power converter I suggest to use it with one that has at least 1000W, not the model you asked about.

A lot of amps and receivers draw a considerable amount of current on powering up even though current draw will be much lower after that.

Those power converters are heavy so I suggest to get one locally or in Germany, shipping from the US would not make much sense.
post #300 of 1565 Old 12-15-2009, 03:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

M Code,

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. Does the EzSet/EQ III help tame the high frequencies (roll them off a little)?

Yes, that is what the Tilt function does.
Quote:

Can the room correction be modified/altered any?

No.
Quote:

Also, does the AVR produce a frequency response graph that is shown on the GUI?

No
Quote:

Are there any target curves that can be selected I would probably be using the 7550 with an external 7 channel amp as well.

No target curves.
Quote:

Oh one more thing, what is the benefit of applying Logic 7 to Blu-Rays? How does it compare in expanding 5.1 to 7.1 vs PLIIx?

Logic 7 is excellant for post-processing, many users prefer this over DPL2x. Both are available.

Just my $0.01...
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page