Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pologuy View Post
Direct from Harman Kardon's website:

harman/kardon releases HDMI v.1.4a with 3D

harman/kardon is a company that thinks ahead and one of the greatest features we provide on our AVR receivers is the ability to upgrade them when new firmware and technologies become available. To accommodate the excitement of 3D Video, harman/kardon is pleased to announce a two prong strategy to deliver compatibility with the latest advancement in consumer electronics.

Starting in September, all harman/kardon AVR 2600 and AVR 3600 models will be shipping with HDMI v.1.4a with 3D. This will allow full compatibility with all 3D formats from either Blu-ray players or satellite and cable services.

The AVR 7550HD will be updated through Harman Kardon Service Centers or via an advance replacement..

For current owners of these models, regardless of the date of purchase, you may now update your existing AVR 2600 and AVR 3600 to HDMI v.1.4a with 3D. This upgrade is now available at no charge.

◦Download the software upgrade for the AVR 2600

◦Download the software upgrade for the AVR 3600

◦Download the Instructions

All you need to do is download the software to a USB memory stick, insert the stick drive into the front panel USB jack of your AVR, and with a few button presses on the remote control, the AVR will be upgraded. No direct connection between the computer and AVR is required or software loader is required, greatly simplifying the upgrade process.

So, if this is wrong, I suggest someone tell Harman...
Yes, I know. I read that too. I'm simply restating what the regional HK rep told me. Even when I told him about what the web site said, he insisted it was not necessary. So....I don't know what to think. I have read that the HK web site has numerous errors. Their web site states for example, that customer service is open on Saturdays. When I phoned, the voice message said they were closed Saturdays! Figures.....

If nobody has any direct experience, I will phone customer service on Monday and see what they say.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1612 Old 11-10-2010, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHT View Post

Yes, I know. I read that too. I'm simply restating what the regional HK rep told me. Even when I told him about what the web site said, he insisted it was not necessary. So....I don't know what to think. I have read that the HK web site has numerous errors. Their web site states for example, that customer service is open on Saturdays. When I phoned, the voice message said they were closed Saturdays! Figures.....

If nobody has any direct experience, I will phone customer service on Monday and see what they say.

They tell you anything?

I want Ed on DVD/Blu-ray!
post #363 of 1612 Old 11-10-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsandvb View Post
They tell you anything?
I was told to expect an update in December. He wasn't sure if it would require a hardware upgrade or not. It's possible that some of the most recent shipments are already upgraded to HDMI 1.4.

My other source told me that they were working on the upgrade as well. He emailed his contacts at HK and got the same message.

SO, we shall see!
post #364 of 1612 Old 11-10-2010, 08:40 PM

I've run EzSet/EqII twice on my new 7550HD. It correctly sends the tone and identifies all speakers plus sub (5.1 configuration) but does not do the near field test on the rear surrounds. With my old 745, all the speakers went through the near field test. This is where the system asks you to put the microphone about 2 feet away from the speaker and in-line with the seating position.

Am I missing something or does this version of EzSet/EQII not do the surrounds or is the system determining that it doesn't need to do the near field test? The test concludes successfully except for the surrounds.

It still does an amazing job and completely improves what I'm hearing out of the speakers.

Thanks
post #365 of 1612 Old 11-11-2010, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

I was told to expect an update in December. He wasn't sure if it would require a hardware upgrade or not. It's possible that some of the most recent shipments are already upgraded to HDMI 1.4.

My other source told me that they were working on the upgrade as well. He emailed his contacts at HK and got the same message.

SO, we shall see!

Thanks for the update.
Quote:

but does not do the near field test on the rear surrounds.

Mine didn't either

I want Ed on DVD/Blu-ray!
post #366 of 1612 Old 11-11-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsandvb View Post

Thanks for the update.

Mine didn't either

I emailed HK support and this is what they said "The AVR 7550HD has a new method for calibrating. The near field test is no longer needed. You do not lose any type of sound quality". I think they might have meant the surround speakers don't need the near field calibration. This backs up something M Code said way back in this thread about it being a new version. I wonder though if they don't do the near field calculation because of the dolby volume implementation taking up limited processing space? In any event, it all sounds very good on my system so no big deal.
post #367 of 1612 Old 11-11-2010, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:

I emailed HK support and this is what they said "The AVR 7550HD has a new method for calibrating. The near field test is no longer needed. You do not lose any type of sound quality". I think they might have meant the surround speakers don't need the near field calibration. This backs up something M Code said way back in this thread about it being a new version. I wonder though if they don't do the near field calculation because of the dolby volume implementation taking up limited processing space? In any event, it all sounds very good on my system so no big deal.

No..
It has nothing to do with Dolby Volume.
Essentially the Near Field is crucial for the Front loudspeakers but less for the Surrounds. The Near Field sweeps tells the DSP the performance capability of the loudspeaker itself without room interaction. The Far Field is essentially the loudspeaker + room interaction, also the L/R Front and Center set the primary soundstage. Also even more crucial are the low frequencies and how the (2) subwoofers are optimized. Considering that HK has been providing Room EQ S/W for dual subwoofers for almost 5 years yet just today the competition are starting to incorporate this feature. Don't get fooled by the AVRs that have (2) subwoofer jacks but yet are equalized together not separately as they are just in parallel.

Though the specific alogorithms are proprietary and were developed by Dr.Toole and his R&D team, when set up properly the end-results are incredible.

Just my $0.02...
post #368 of 1612 Old 11-11-2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post

No..
It has nothing to do with Dolby Volume.
Essentially the Near Field is crucial for the Front loudspeakers but less for the Surrounds. The Near Field sweeps tells the DSP the performance capability of the loudspeaker itself without room interaction. The Far Field is essentially the loudspeaker + room interaction, also the L/R Front and Center set the primary soundstage. Also even more crucial are the low frequencies and how the (2) subwoofers are optimized. Considering that HK has been providing Room EQ S/W for dual subwoofers for almost 5 years yet just today the competition are starting to incorporate this feature. Don't get fooled by the AVRs that have (2) subwoofer jacks but yet are equalized together not separately as they are just in parallel.

Though the specific alogorithms are proprietary and were developed by Dr.Toole and his R&D team, when set up properly the end-results are incredible.

Just my $0.02...

I'm running reasonably high end Tannoy speakers - not bad on their own - but you're not exaggerating when you say the end-results (after EzSet/Eq does it's thing) are incredible. I do believe there was an improvement on my old 745 sound quality wise. I especially noticed it in the front three channels which fits in exactly with your comment above.
post #369 of 1612 Old 11-15-2010, 01:08 PM

Incoming wall of text.

I'm posting in this thread because I can't seem to find an owners thread for the AVR 7550HD. If I'm posting in the wrong place I apologize and will ofc. re-post if necessary.
post #370 of 1612 Old 11-15-2010, 01:10 PM

Hello.

What's wrong with this picture?

Kind of breaks your heart a little bit, wouldn't you say?
Here's the story:

I bought my AVR 7550HD us model shortly after it hit the market. I had been eagerly waiting and waiting for them to finally release it because I had heard that this beast should sound better than anything else (Ok I will admit I drank the Koolaid on this one). So when it finally came, I had the opportunity to get it shipped to europe where I live and thus get it early before a Euro model would be introduced. I was very impatient and looking forward to receiving it with glee.
The day came and I finally got it, and right off the bat: It truly does sound awesome. No question about it. There, I won't talk about the sound quality anymore because that is not the issue.

The issue is the Build quality of the thing. Because of my geographical placement there was no way I would be able to send it back in case something was wrong with it.

The buttons and physical appearance
All of us gear lovers, the first thing we do when we get such a piece of equipment is of course drool over the looks and push all the buttons and see how it "feels". Well I must say, it feels cheap and flimsy and not at all what I've come to expect of such expensive equipment. The volume knob on the front turned with difficulty, and would sometimes not work at all.
It's hard to explain, but it sort of gets stuck when you turn it, and you have to use a bit of force to make it turn.
As time went by it worked less and less. Now it is effectively completely useless. I had a problem not long ago where the remote ran out of batteries and just died while the system was playing something FAR too loud and I couldn't turn it down - that caused some panic - I hit the power switch on the front that thankfully still works!

The cooling

Click thumbnail for larger version

As mentioned, I live in europe so there is no way I'm sending it in for repairs unless it's some catastrophic failure.
So when the tiny tiny fan on the inside started making horrible loud screeching sounds - I had a technically able friend take out the culprit:

Here we have a great big piece of tech with a list price of $2,999.00 that took years of development and what does H/K put in to make sure it doesn't overheat?
A 5 cent fan from china.
I was dumbfounded. And then we did what any sane person would do:
Yank out the fan and slap a 140 mm noctua fan on the side of the thing with some plastic straps to get rid of that horrible screeching sound and make sure the thing doesn't overheat. Hey - it's not pretty, in fact I die a little on the inside every time I look at it. My friend is not known for subtlety when it comes to fixing things, but he makes things work.

The importance of turning on your equipment in the right order
I have always had my preamp on 24/7 and then turned on my source whenever I needed it and my projector whenever I needed it.
I had to change that habit with the AVR 7550HD.
Several times when I was watching a movie I would be scratching my head wondering where all the bass went. (I use it as a preamp only - I have seperates for every channel) I'm used to having to somewhat adjust the bass a little bit every time I watch a movie because the movie studios have a hard time agreeing to how the levels should be - but sometimes the levels would be VERY out of whack. Oh well I thought; ****** sound mixer and then I'd boost the bass +12 db or something outrageous like that to get it to sound better. Anyway, I'd be watching the movie with dismay wondering why everything sounds so thin and lifeless, and then the GF has to insert a pee-break. So I pause the movie long enough for the AVR 7550HD to forget what the signal was and then eventually resume playback - BOOM THE SOUND IS SO LOUD MY EARS ARE BLEEDING. Time to turn it down and wonder what the hell. It took me a while to find out that the only way to avoid this issue is to first turn on the projector - then the AVR - and then the source.
I have succesfully avoided that buggy sound mode ever since I found this out.

So all in all I'd say to potential buyers - if you've read other people slag on this product or the smaller siblings in the line for being buggy and of poor build quality - I must agree with them. Avoid Avoid. I have some serious buyers remorse, but due to my geographical location I'm pretty much stuck with it. I also can't sell it to anyone, because really: who would buy something that looks like this, and has a voided warranty to boot:

post #371 of 1612 Old 11-15-2010, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Ok...

So you are here complaining that because you didn't want to wait for the European model you purchased a US model and can not send it in if anything goes wrong with it?

What did you do about the different power voltages?

The build quality is certainly NOT inferior... with the slight exception of the volume knob - but it has to be built that way in order for the light to show...

The front door is heavy and very well made, as is the chasis...

And you will not find better speaker terminals on any AVR at or near this price...

You already stated the sound quality was superb...

So your basic gripe is that you couldn't wait for your proper model and purchased one made for the US and now you can not send it in to get your fan fixed... and any other issues it "may" have...

Panasonic 65VT25 (09/17/10)
Pioneer Elite SC-37 AVR
Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD blu-ray player
Infinity Interludes IL60, IL50, IL36C, IL10

"I see stoopid people..."
post #372 of 1612 Old 11-15-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlarti View Post

Hello.

What's wrong with this picture?

Kind of breaks your heart a little bit, wouldn't you say?
Here's the story:

I bought my AVR 7550HD us model shortly after it hit the market. I had been eagerly waiting and waiting for them to finally release it because I had heard that this beast should sound better than anything else (Ok I will admit I drank the Koolaid on this one). So when it finally came, I had the opportunity to get it shipped to europe where I live and thus get it early before a Euro model would be introduced. I was very impatient and looking forward to receiving it with glee.
The day came and I finally got it, and right off the bat: It truly does sound awesome. No question about it. There, I won't talk about the sound quality anymore because that is not the issue.

The issue is the Build quality of the thing. Because of my geographical placement there was no way I would be able to send it back in case something was wrong with it.

The buttons and physical appearance
All of us gear lovers, the first thing we do when we get such a piece of equipment is of course drool over the looks and push all the buttons and see how it "feels". Well I must say, it feels cheap and flimsy and not at all what I've come to expect of such expensive equipment. The volume knob on the front turned with difficulty, and would sometimes not work at all.
It's hard to explain, but it sort of gets stuck when you turn it, and you have to use a bit of force to make it turn.
As time went by it worked less and less. Now it is effectively completely useless. I had a problem not long ago where the remote ran out of batteries and just died while the system was playing something FAR too loud and I couldn't turn it down - that caused some panic - I hit the power switch on the front that thankfully still works!

The cooling

As mentioned, I live in europe so there is no way I'm sending it in for repairs unless it's some catastrophic failure.
So when the tiny tiny fan on the inside started making horrible loud screeching sounds - I had a technically able friend take out the culprit:

Here we have a great big piece of tech with a list price of $2,999.00 that took years of development and what does H/K put in to make sure it doesn't overheat?
A 5 cent fan from china.
I was dumbfounded. And then we did what any sane person would do:
Yank out the fan and slap a 140 mm noctua fan on the side of the thing with some plastic straps to get rid of that horrible screeching sound and make sure the thing doesn't overheat. Hey - it's not pretty, in fact I die a little on the inside every time I look at it. My friend is not known for subtlety when it comes to fixing things, but he makes things work.

The importance of turning on your equipment in the right order
I have always had my preamp on 24/7 and then turned on my source whenever I needed it and my projector whenever I needed it.
I had to change that habit with the AVR 7550HD.
Several times when I was watching a movie I would be scratching my head wondering where all the bass went. (I use it as a preamp only - I have seperates for every channel) I'm used to having to somewhat adjust the bass a little bit every time I watch a movie because the movie studios have a hard time agreeing to how the levels should be - but sometimes the levels would be VERY out of whack. Oh well I thought; ****** sound mixer and then I'd boost the bass +12 db or something outrageous like that to get it to sound better. Anyway, I'd be watching the movie with dismay wondering why everything sounds so thin and lifeless, and then the GF has to insert a pee-break. So I pause the movie long enough for the AVR 7550HD to forget what the signal was and then eventually resume playback - BOOM THE SOUND IS SO LOUD MY EARS ARE BLEEDING. Time to turn it down and wonder what the hell. It took me a while to find out that the only way to avoid this issue is to first turn on the projector - then the AVR - and then the source.
I have succesfully avoided that buggy sound mode ever since I found this out.

So all in all I'd say to potential buyers - if you've read other people slag on this product or the smaller siblings in the line for being buggy and of poor build quality - I must agree with them. Avoid Avoid. I have some serious buyers remorse, but due to my geographical location I'm pretty much stuck with it. I also can't sell it to anyone, because really: who would buy something that looks like this, and has a voided warranty to boot:

It seems that many other manufacturers are also cutting corners (and costs) by changing certain components. Just read through some of the Denon/Pioneer/Yamaha threads and you'll hear comments about that. There has even been the odd comment about that from owners of the higher quality perceived units like Anthem. After reading all this stuff, I came to the conclusion that some of it comes down to personal preference and perception.

The small fan in your picture - is that the main cooling fan in the unit? It looks like an extra, small, chip cooling fan like some motherboards have for a specific component. It does not look like a main cooling fan, which in HK's case only comes on when absolutely necessary? If it is a small component cooling fan, I wonder if you could have just gone to a computer store and replaced it instead of putting that monstrosity on there!

Regarding the "buggy sound mode" you mention, the manual for the 7550HD clearly states in a separate text box that the TV should be turned on first, then the AVR, and finally the source. A lot of these issues can be avoided by carefully reading the manual. Found that out the hard way myself!

Personally, I have not really noticed an inferior build quality on this receiver. Like Pologuy mentions, I found the important stuff - like the connectors on the back to be very solid and well built. Also, pure speculation on my part, but I doubt that HK would have messed around with the quality of the important sound quality components. I noticed a sound quality improvement over my old 745 which was also a flag ship receiver for HK. Whether that was the upgraded calibration software or the components used - I don't know. It just sounded better - especially on the front speakers.
post #373 of 1612 Old 11-15-2010, 02:39 PM

No matter how you slice it, a 5-cent fan from China has NO BUSINESS in a piece of equipment like this. (Daamm that thing is ugly)

Time to cross the 7550 from my list ... moving on
post #374 of 1612 Old 11-15-2010, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrader View Post

No matter how you slice it, a 5-cent fan from China has NO BUSINESS in a piece of equipment like this. (Daamm that thing is ugly)

Time to cross the 7550 from my list ... moving on

It isn't a 5 cent fan and it is NOT a main fan - it is a small auxiliary fan.

And I suggest you take apart and look at other AVRs...

Happy hunting on your new AVR that will not come near the sound quality of this one...

Pioneer Elite SC-37 AVR

post #375 of 1612 Old 11-15-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:

Happy hunting on your new AVR that will not come near the sound quality of this one...

Is that a threat?
post #376 of 1612 Old 11-15-2010, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I recieved this as a replacement for my 745. The sound quality is better and the hdmi handshake seems good. I believe the my unit does do the near field on the rear speakers, I am using a 7 channel setup.

Here is my story. I was having fan noise, as the fan runs pretty much full time when I turn the unit on. I called up HK support and got a level 2 person in the states. He said he had a 7550hd and a lexicon amp that he used and he never had the fan come on. I purchased a boston acoustics a7200 seven channel amp and hooked it up. The fan still came on but it was not as loud so they must be using a variable speed. The fan looks like the one in the pictures of the previous post and I looked it up and it has a db output of 40 so it is noisy. The midrange improved on the sound probably due to increased headroom of the amp. The vocals did not sound as good so I went to rerun the ezset eq. There were no tones output to the speakers using the amplifier with ezset/eq. I attached the speakers wires back to the 7550 and the sound was better, so the ezset ez does do a nice job, but YOU CANNOT USE EZSET/EQ WITH AN AMPLIFIER.

I called back up to the HK support and they said they would have a technician look into ezset eq through the preamp section but I have not back in couple of weeks. So now I have fan noise and a nice amp I can't use.
post #377 of 1612 Old 11-15-2010, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christmclean View Post

I recieved this as a replacement for my 745. The sound quality is better and the hdmi handshake seems good. I believe the my unit does do the near field on the rear speakers, I am using a 7 channel setup.

Here is my story. I was having fan noise, as the fan runs pretty much full time when I turn the unit on. I called up HK support and got a level 2 person in the states. He said he had a 7550hd and a lexicon amp that he used and he never had the fan come on. I purchased a boston acoustics a7200 seven channel amp and hooked it up. The fan still came on but it was not as loud so they must be using a variable speed. The fan looks like the one in the pictures of the previous post and I looked it up and it has a db output of 40 so it is noisy. The midrange improved on the sound probably due to increased headroom of the amp. The vocals did not sound as good so I went to rerun the ezset eq. There were no tones output to the speakers using the amplifier with ezset/eq. I attached the speakers wires back to the 7550 and the sound was better, so the ezset ez does do a nice job, but YOU CANNOT USE EZSET/EQ WITH AN AMPLIFIER.

I called back up to the HK support and they said they would have a technician look into ezset eq through the preamp section but I have not back in couple of weeks. So now I have fan noise and a nice amp I can't use.

A couple of clarifications..
1. The pictured fan is for the video processor not the amplifier. There is a larger fan for the amplifier's tunnel, however this fan is controlled by the CPU and audio DSPs and is rarely ON unless the amplifier is pushed hard..
My question to the user is:
Do you have adequate free air clearance for the L/R sides and top cover, HK recommends at least 4".
2. Regarding EZ/Set EQ not working with an external component..
My 7550HD works fine with my external Marantz power amplifier MM7055.

Just my $0.02...
post #378 of 1612 Old 11-15-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:

I've never heard my fan, but then my receiver is not in an enclosed stand.

You may want to try emailing customer support through the HK web site. I had a response within an hour or two and an answer to my question by the end of the day. A second follow-up question was answered the next day. At least you could have a way to easily follow-up.
post #379 of 1612 Old 11-16-2010, 12:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
1. The pictured fan is for the video processor not the amplifier.
Considering that the poster doesn´t use the onboard Amps (he states he uses seperates) the only fan that has to run is the small one. And the picture does seem to indicate more than enough space around the amp.

No way we slice this, using a cheap fan on the video board is still a bad thing.

Love!
post #380 of 1612 Old 11-16-2010, 01:58 AM

Quote:
1. The pictured fan is for the video processor not the amplifier. There is a larger fan for the amplifier's tunnel, however this fan is controlled by the CPU and audio DSPs and is rarely ON unless the amplifier is pushed hard..
My question to the user is:
Do you have adequate free air clearance for the L/R sides and top cover, HK recommends at least 4".

Just my $0.02...
1. Good to know! That at least explains why it makes noise despite not using it's amplifiers.
It started screeching sometimes instantly after I turned the AVR on - sometimes after 10 mins. Even when it was idling and not even receiving a hdmi signal with all the seperates turned off, thus being the only heat source in the room.
Clearance: I'd say that clearance is not really the issue.
Not the room either, I turn on the A/C when it's movie time.

post #381 of 1612 Old 11-16-2010, 09:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin1001 View Post

Considering that the poster doesn´t use the onboard Amps (he states he uses seperates) the only fan that has to run is the small one.

Not using the amps doesn't turn off the power supply nor reduce idle power consumption, which is probably about 100 W.

Noah
post #382 of 1612 Old 11-16-2010, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Xlarti, you still have not told us what you are using to convert/regulate the power difference to a US model?

And really, your only "complaint" was that a small aux. video board fan was making noise and because you purchased the US version and not the European version you could not readily get it serviced or returned for a new one.

No one else has reported this issue that I can tell...

Your other "issue"/non-issue, is readily addressed in the manual.

How is this Harman's fault exactly?

Pioneer Elite SC-37 AVR

post #383 of 1612 Old 11-16-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:

Xlarti, you still have not told us what you are using to convert/regulate the power difference to a US model?

And really, your only "complaint" was that a small aux. video board fan was making noise and because you purchased the US version and not the European version you could not readily get it serviced or returned for a new one.

No one else has reported this issue that I can tell...

Your other "issue"/non-issue, is readily addressed in the manual.

How is this Harman's fault exactly?

For the power I'm using a big step-down transformer. It's not really an issue, the AVR is working fully as intended.

Actually in my long-winded post I described 3 issues - all of which I'd say is Harman's fault.
  • Volume knob not working because it's a cheap piece of plastic. + general disappointment with the physical feel of the thing. It looks impressive in photos and at a distance, but when you touch it, you wonder where all the money went.
  • Fan going crazy because it's a cheap piece of plastic
  • And finally the amp flipping out because I didn't know there was a "correct" way of turning on the AVR, it's sources and it's display device (this is not related to me using a stepdown transformer, I found out the answer scouring the internets for answers as to what could possibly be causing the thing to be acting so weird.) Who in their right mind would think it necessary to shut off your AVR every time you turn off your display device?
post #384 of 1612 Old 11-16-2010, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Well, you are the only one with the first two problems that I am aware of...

And if you would have purchased the European model instead of the US model you could have had these issues "fixed" by Harman...

So, again, that is hardly Harman's fault...

The third "issue" is not only an "issue" with Harman Kardon, other AVRs react the exact same way...

And the third "issue" is discussed directly in the manual...

So I think it is rather "unfair" for you to paint Harman as the problem here...

If you would have waited for your model, the European model, to come out - your first two issues would have been taken care of...

I know Harman's customer support here in the US is excellent...

They have exchanged items for me LONG after their warranty period with brand new next generation comparable models...

Did you even bother to try to contact Harman Europe and Harman US and see what they had to say?

Pioneer Elite SC-37 AVR

post #385 of 1612 Old 11-16-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:

And if you would have purchased the European model instead of the US model you could have had these issues "fixed" by Harman...

The third "issue" is not only an "issue" with Harman Kardon, other AVRs react the exact same way...

If you would have waited for your model, the European model, to come out - your first two issues would have been taken care of...

They have exchanged items for me LONG after their warranty period with brand new next generation comparable models...

Did you even bother to try to contact Harman Europe and Harman US and see what they had to say?
"Yes send it to us and we will have it fixed"
As I said, I wasn't about to send this amp anywhere unless it was unable to function. When it was making horrible screeching sounds, it was still functioning fully.

And I guess we seem to have differing opinions on what constitutes pertinent information for potential buyers. I have never in my life paid this much cash for such an expensive piece of equipment and then been shocked by poor build quality. This reeks of cutting corners whenever possible in order to get it out the door. If someone at the factory had bothered to simply turn the volume knob before it was shipped, they would have realized that something was off and probably replaced it. And what's the first thing I did when I opened my box? The first thing I always do whenever I get a new amp - I turn the knobs to see how they feel. It felt like cheap plastic, and it couldn't even turn properly. Not a good way to start out, and when the fan started making the death rattles after a couple of days, then I enraged.

In my book it is simply not ok to sell something that caters to the high end crowd and ask a premium price and then cut corners on the build quality. I know the high end world is full of that kind of nonsense products, but I honestly thought Harman would be better. They have an army of engineers among the Harman Group, they have true visionaries dreaming up new technology at JBL, Crown, and at Lexicon, so I hoped that their level of quality would rub off on the AVR 7550HD, being the flagship and all.
And it did. Sorta. The sound is

But that said, I still would have gone another route if I'd known what I know today - hell, I wouldn't have had to wait so long either.
post #386 of 1612 Old 11-16-2010, 04:01 PM

Liked: 11
My unit has ample clearance. The small video fan is starting to get a screech. Themain fan comes along with the small video on even if just sitting idle after being turned on for around ten minutes. The unit works great and sounds good but the fan does run most all the time. The fan runs at a higher volume with the speakers hooked up to the reciever then whenthey were hooked up to the seperate amplifier. I like the main fan in the cooling tunnel design, it looks nicer than the onkyo and denon fans blowing out the bottom of the unit.

Mcode - do the test tones from ezset ez work through your speakers with your external amplifier connected. My unit works fine with the external amplifier but the test tones make no sounds when running the ezset eq with the speakers hooked up to the external amplifier so the curves cannot be applied to the external amplifier. I think the sound is better through the reciever with the ezset eq enabled on the speaker outputs on the receiver than with the external amplifier that does not have the ezset eq curves enabled.
post #387 of 1612 Old 11-17-2010, 07:09 AM

Quote:

I was going to stay out of this but Harman hasn't learnt their lesson yet. Shoddy workmanship is just that. For crying out loud they can't get their web site and manuals right.
I have thought about the HK then I picked up a 3600 I can't believe how the volume knob feels. I agree it sounds good but I returned it. I have been through the repair and wait game. I had to buy a replacement while I was waiting.

I'm not making excuses for the import guy but from reading all the other posts about issues with HK I would never buy it unless I can return it with full money back. JMO.

P.s. If you have the receipt and it's not working properly pack it up send it to HK they will repair it and send it back or send it to HK in Europe and have them fix it. Then pay for the repair. Your unit is defective and if you start modifying it you will void what ever US warranty you have.
post #388 of 1612 Old 11-17-2010, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My unit has ample clearance. The small video fan is starting to get a screech. Themain fan comes along with the small video on even if just sitting idle after being turned on for around ten minutes. The unit works great and sounds good but the fan does run most all the time. The fan runs at a higher volume with the speakers hooked up to the reciever then whenthey were hooked up to the seperate amplifier. I like the main fan in the cooling tunnel design, it looks nicer than the onkyo and denon fans blowing out the bottom of the unit.

Sounds like the little fan for the video processor could be bad, in their early units HK had a problem here.

Quote:
Mcode - do the test tones from ezset ez work through your speakers with your external amplifier connected. My unit works fine with the external amplifier but the test tones make no sounds when running the ezset eq with the speakers hooked up to the external amplifier so the curves cannot be applied to the external amplifier. I think the sound is better through the reciever with the ezset eq enabled on the speaker outputs on the receiver than with the external amplifier that does not have the ezset eq curves enabled.

I will try that and advise back, when I set up my system using the internal amplifiers last year I ran the EQ software. Then I later added the Marantz amplifier, since the Pre-outs all have unity gain there was no need to rerun the EQ s/w.

Just my $0.02...
post #389 of 1612 Old 11-17-2010, 03:12 PM

You know, I have to be honest here - reading the Denon 4311/A100 thread as avidly as I have been for the past several weeks, I'm feeling better and better all the time about my 7550HD purchase. Not that the Denon avr is not a good product, but, there are many reports about issues (some of them serious imho). At least one unit has already been returned for major service...and this was on a "quality controlled and inspected" special anniversary edition no less.

My 7550HD has been flawless and it's an August '09 build. The ONLY issue I have is when I don't turn on the TV, source and AVR in the proper order - and even then, not all the time. As soon as I restart with TV, AVR and source - in that order - I have no issues - just awesome sound and a really nice GUI.

I know this HK unit is more dollars but my point is that even the great Denon products have issues, as do other fine manufacturers.
post #390 of 1612 Old 11-18-2010, 10:51 AM

Hi

I'm from Brazil, and it´s a bit hard to find these receivers we are talking about here in my country.

I sold my Denon 1909 last week and I almost went to a Denon 4311, but I have been reading some posts about issues such as audio loss and "blue-rain" video problems the 4311 owners are taking lately. So I decided on a HK 7550HD which will probably arrive on next tuesday.

What do you think about my decision? I really liked the Denon 1909 and had decided about the 4311 due to the experience I had with the brand. However, all these problem reports made me go right to HK.

I´m just wondering about the differences between the acoustic calibration from HK and the Denon´s Audyssey.

Hugs!!!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page