Harman Kardon AVR 7550HD (2008 announcement) - Page 14 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #391 of 1555 Old 11-18-2010, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First of all, is the volume knob not as hefty as previous Harman Kardon models? Yes...

But, as stated, is has to be that way in order for the light to show, etc...

Now would I rather have the previous knob, like on my HK flagship AVR 7200, yes... but I don't make design calls...

And has been pointed out, Harman Kardon is FAR from the only company to have various "issues" with either equipment - everyone does...

I would argue that Harman Kardon's "issues" are quite small compared to others...

And as EVERYONE who has posted here states - the sound quality is fantastic and unmatched in many cases...

I have had several HK AVRs and not one of them has ever had a problem...

Either I am the luckiest guy here, which I am not, or these small "issues" are very isolated.

Again, try and find a better sounding AVR if you can...

Panasonic 65VT25 (09/17/10)
Pioneer Elite SC-37 AVR
Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD blu-ray player
Infinity Interludes IL60, IL50, IL36C, IL10

"I see stoopid people..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 1555 Old 11-18-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pologuy View Post

First of all, is the volume knob not as hefty as previous Harman Kardon models? Yes...

But, as stated, is has to be that way in order for the light to show, etc...

Now would I rather have the previous knob, like on my HK flagship AVR 7200, yes... but I don't make design calls...

And has been pointed out, Harman Kardon is FAR from the only company to have various "issues" with either equipment - everyone does...

I would argue that Harman Kardon's "issues" are quite small compared to others...

And as EVERYONE who has posted here states - the sound quality is fantastic and unmatched in many cases...

I have had several HK AVRs and not one of them has ever had a problem...

Either I am the luckiest guy here, which I am not, or these small "issues" are very isolated.

Again, try and find a better sounding AVR if you can...

You asked Arcam 500,600 (I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole too much issues )
LOL

HK does have good cs for issues
post #393 of 1555 Old 11-22-2010, 04:01 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlarti View Post

So I pause the movie long enough for the AVR 7550HD to forget what the signal was and then eventually resume playback - BOOM THE SOUND IS SO LOUD MY EARS ARE BLEEDING.

In my case disabling Dolby Volume seemed to help with the big volume shifts during movies (and got the LFE back up to a level where my Buttkickers would respond).

Quote:

Time to turn it down and wonder what the hell. It took me a while to find out that the only way to avoid this issue is to first turn on the projector - then the AVR - and then the source.

I still occasionally get shifting volume levels from my DVR (where I do have Dolby Volume still enabled). Of course this source has to be turned on 24/7 so I can't try the usual display-AVR-source power-on order. It can't really have HDMI issues though because it's an old TiVo with analog connections.

One weird problem I do get on HDMI is that when I switch to the PS3 source it will occasionally show up with lots of color banding, as if it's using a much lower bit-depth than it should be. Usually switching to any other source (even a disconnected one) and then back to the PS3 again will fix it.
post #394 of 1555 Old 11-26-2010, 02:04 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post

The update is done via USB..
Very EZ takes about 15 minutes..

Keep in mind..
That this update simply provides the compatibility of the (6) mandatory 3-D formats under 1.4 but does not provide the features of:
a. Audio return line capability
b. Ethernet connectivity (corrected)

Just my $0.02...

MCODE you have a 7550. Did you use the update for the lower models? If so how is it working?

I check HK's website regularly and I am not impressed with the lengthly delay in the 7550 update.
post #395 of 1555 Old 11-29-2010, 07:52 AM

After having left my beloved HK AVR 635 -no HDMI ports- for a Denon (dropped after 2 yrs) and subsequently a Pioneer, I want to get back to HK. I am not an audiophile but it just never sounded the same. I am highly interested in the 7550HD but, surprisingly, I find very few reputable dealers online. If you have a good recommendation, please PM me. Thanks
post #396 of 1555 Old 12-11-2010, 09:06 AM

I did a more experimenting with the reciever and found that it does process the eq through the preouts but you have to go into each source and turn on the eq and set the speaker listening position from the ez set eq to use. I was able to use ezset eq with the speakers hooked up to the amplifier. There was a considerable difference with the eq set to on rather than off in the source menu. The instrument seperation and vocals were much more distinct with the eq on. There is a lot more midbass with the eq off that seems to mask the distinction in the instruments and vocals. There was less of a difference from the amplifier to the reciever for power to the speakers than there was from setting the eq from on to off. The fan is quieter with the speakers hooked up to the amp which was my original intent and after some experimenting it has worked out. I got a little better sound quality going to an amplifier but not as much as I gained using the ezset eq.
post #397 of 1555 Old 12-28-2010, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 96
I ordered the 7550HD from Futureshop (Canada) yesterday at $1000.00 off the original price.
It's on special till the 30th of December. It's at a great price!

Can't wait to try it. It's replacing a Yamaha RXV3000.

Looking forward to see the difference between both receivers.

Regards,
post #398 of 1555 Old 01-05-2011, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Well,

I got the unit on the Dec. 30th, been playing with it since.
My biggest frustration is the "Automatic Setup EzSet/EQ"

I have done this at least 25 times.
The problem is once it's done...yes the sound is amazing...but depending on what is being played, the low bass is "GONE".

Here are my results: Bass working correctly
MP3 music = no problems
Flac music (Stereo or DTS 96/24 5.1) = no problems

Video sources: Low Bass lost
DTS movie = problems
DD movie = problems
TRUHD = problems
DTS HD MA = problems

I have called customer support and was told to move my subs around.
(this is NOT good advice)

I NEVER had bass problems with my prior setup with a Yamaha RXV3000 unit.

My room is 12' x 17'
My subs are in the middle of both the rear and front walls at the walls
(in other word)
Front sub is between left and right speaker
the rear sub is between the left and right surround.

Now if I play a demo DTSHD MA source (I have many of them) when I switch between EQ on and off there's a HUGE difference in bass.

Actually there is NO BASS with the EQ on.
This is by far the most frustrating thing for me.
The low frequencies are gone!!!
With the EQ off my house shakes like CRAZY!!!

I followed the direction to a tee. I also experimented a little too.

When doing the left and right sub tests I found that if I put those 2 tests at the center left and center right of the room, my bass is a little louder.

If anyone has any advice, I'm all ears.
Thanks in advance.

BTW...my unit came shipped with the 1.4 upgrade. Software Version 4.43
post #399 of 1555 Old 01-06-2011, 05:00 PM

Have you tried resetting the receiver?
post #400 of 1555 Old 01-07-2011, 08:22 PM

Liked: 13
I know the past few generations of HK's upper level receivers were able to layer Logic 7 over incoming 5.1 DD/DTS streams for 7.1/7.2 output, besides the standard Logic 7 processing for stereo sources (be it PCM or analog)
With the 'new' formats - can the 7550 also layer Logic 7 over 5.1 DTS-HD, or True-HD bitstreams for 7.1/2 sound? What about 5.1 LPCM?

Thanks for any help!
post #401 of 1555 Old 01-07-2011, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by dRockHK View Post

I know the past few generations of HK's upper level receivers were able to layer Logic 7 over incoming 5.1 DD/DTS streams for 7.1/7.2 output, besides the standard Logic 7 processing for stereo sources (be it PCM or analog)
With the 'new' formats - can the 7550 also layer Logic 7 over 5.1 DTS-HD, or True-HD bitstreams for 7.1/2 sound? What about 5.1 LPCM?

Thanks for any help!

Yes..
The AVR660, 760 and 7550HD can overlay Logic 7 for DTS Master Audio, DTS HD, Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby True Audio. Plus the SD formats for Dolby and DTS.

Just my $0.02...
post #402 of 1555 Old 01-09-2011, 04:04 PM

Thanks M Code Earlier in the thread you mentioned the HDMI v1.4a upgrade for the 7550 was available, and is done through the AVR's USB port. Where is the upgrade obtained, because H/K's website still does not appear to have it
post #403 of 1555 Old 01-10-2011, 01:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatshaft View Post
The problem is once it's done...yes the sound is amazing...but depending on what is being played, the low bass is "GONE".
Since the EQ appears to be a factor I don't know if this will help, but have you tried comparing the sound with Dolby Volume enabled/disabled? I found that Dolby Volume severely throttled my ButtKickers on movies where I know there's a ton of LFE.
post #404 of 1555 Old 01-10-2011, 04:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I still have the HK AVR 745 that I bought a few years ago through HK refurb on ebay. Great receiver once you get used to the limitations (only 5.1 PCM not 7.1, only 1080i pass through, only 2 HDMI inputs). I have tried using Monoprice 4x2 matrix HDMI switch to achieve > 2 HDMI inputs and 1080p output to project. However, I noticed that the audio quality goes down for some reason (even though it should not be). So, I got rid of the switch and use 1080i for my PS3 Bluray even though my projector (Epson 1080UB) supports 1080p24. So sad! Frankly, I cannot see a difference. For me the audio quality difference outweighed the 1080i/p difference. The only problem I have right now is the TC30 remote. While it works great, I can no longer reprogram it. I wanted to change my setup a little bit and I made the changes in the PC software but I cannot program. It fails everytime. It was never robust and now it won't accept it. Yikes.

Anyways, to end my rambling, I love the HK sound but I don't want to pay full price for a new 7550HD. I have not seen them refurbed at all on ebay. I don't see too many stores selling them either. There is no 6550HD (like there used to be a 645). I am just wondering if I would be taking a downgrade if I eventually buy a new HK (may be the 3600 or successor).
post #405 of 1555 Old 01-10-2011, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks M Code Earlier in the thread you mentioned the HDMI v1.4a upgrade for the 7550 was available, and is done through the AVR's USB port. Where is the upgrade obtained, because H/K's website still does not appear to have it
I got the update directly from HK, contact their tech support they should be able to help.

Just my $0.02...
post #406 of 1555 Old 01-12-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pologuy View Post

Well, you are the only one with the first two problems that I am aware of...

And if you would have purchased the European model instead of the US model you could have had these issues "fixed" by Harman...

So, again, that is hardly Harman's fault...

The third "issue" is not only an "issue" with Harman Kardon, other AVRs react the exact same way...

And the third "issue" is discussed directly in the manual...

So I think it is rather "unfair" for you to paint Harman as the problem here...

If you would have waited for your model, the European model, to come out - your first two issues would have been taken care of...

I know Harman's customer support here in the US is excellent...

They have exchanged items for me LONG after their warranty period with brand new next generation comparable models...

Did you even bother to try to contact Harman Europe and Harman US and see what they had to say?

My 7550 does the exact same thing with the fan, so he is not the only one. I went from Sony ES to this and I think I made a big mistake. I also have hdmi issue's with any tv I have, so I know it is no the tv. The sound is OK with ezSet off but terrible with it on. I run Klipsch THX ultra 2 speakers in a fairly well sound controlled room and I can get way better sound out of my old 777es, I figured the 7550hd would blow it away but that is not the case. There is only ultra low bass at very low volumes with ezset on, I have tried every configuration and even used my old dahlquist stuff in different rooms with no luck. A friend brought his onkyo 5007 to see if it would do better and there was no comparison, the audysses made it sound better. I see everyone saying how great these sound but I just can't hear it, I was looking forward to logic 7 but there is a crackle noise once a while and it sounds like the tone was turned as far down as possible. The reciever always goes back to 1080i on all my 1080p tv's, you have to power on the items in a certain way or no video. When I switch it to the ipod bridge there is no screen unless I turn the reciever off and on. I will always keep my old citation stuff but this 7550 has to go. HK tells me I am not doing the ezset properly but it seemed to work perfect on the onkyo 5007.
post #407 of 1555 Old 01-12-2011, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatshaft View Post

Well,

I got the unit on the Dec. 30th, been playing with it since.
My biggest frustration is the "Automatic Setup EzSet/EQ"

I have done this at least 25 times.

Here are my results: Bass working correctly
MP3 music = no problems
Flac music (Stereo or DTS 96/24 5.1) = no problems

Video sources: Low Bass lost
DTS movie = problems
DD movie = problems
TRUHD = problems
DTS HD MA = problems

I have called customer support and was told to move my subs around.
(this is NOT good advice)

I NEVER had bass problems with my prior setup with a Yamaha RXV3000 unit.

My room is 12' x 17'
(in other word)

Now if I play a demo DTSHD MA source (I have many of them) when I switch between EQ on and off there's a HUGE difference in bass.

Actually there is NO BASS with the EQ on.
This is by far the most frustrating thing for me.
The low frequencies are gone!!!
With the EQ off my house shakes like CRAZY!!!

I followed the direction to a tee. I also experimented a little too.

When doing the left and right sub tests I found that if I put those 2 tests at the center left and center right of the room, my bass is a little louder.

If anyone has any advice, I'm all ears.
Thanks in advance.

BTW...my unit came shipped with the 1.4 upgrade. Software Version 4.43

*****UPDATE*****UPDATE*****UPDATE*****UPDATE*****

I've been playing and trying to solve my sub (Low bass output with EQ on) for what feels like a freaking eternity.

I finally have found a successful way of doing it!

I'm absolutely impressed with EQ on.
It really is dependent on the way it's run.

Once again here's my setup and what I did:
My room is 12' x 17'
(in other words)
I have a 7.2 setup

OK...very easy...what I did is reran the "Automatic Setup EzSet/EQ" but this time with the back sub "OFF/Unplugged".
Once it ran the setup all I did is reconnect the back sub (To sub out 2) and turned it on.

Major difference between EQ ON and EQ OFF.

I'm extremely satisfied with the outcome...I'm telling you the 7550HD is one hell of a machine!

For the 1st time I'm turning the bass down...It's about time!
Everything just sounds right...I mean whatever I throw at it.
Re: Dolby Volume...don't need that anymore...it just doesn't sound right.
I "ONLY" use it for TV shows...that's where it shines.

Good luck all.

Regards,
post #408 of 1555 Old 01-22-2011, 03:34 AM

To bommai

I had the avr-745 also, then a 3600 for a short time, now the 7550. In comparison the 3600 sounded all right when I hooked it up in comparison the 745. I think the ezset was maybe a little better, I would not say the unit was better than the 745. The sound was detailed but not fuller, must have been the current rating of 30 amps in instead of 60 and I am running full size B&W towers. The 7550 was a new ballgame. The large full sound came back and the aspect ratio was correct for my HP laptop that I use to stream netflix. With the 3600 the screen was too large and it was hard to click the start button or other as they were below the TV screen. So I would say the that the 3600 would be a downgrade in the sound department, but could work if you are running bookshelves.
post #409 of 1555 Old 01-31-2011, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I have also experienced the weak bass issue with my 7550HD. You can see me complaining about it a few pages back.

I have found that to get around it, I have to cycle the power on the receiver after starting playback on my Bluray player.

It sounds crazy but it works for me.

The auto setup is junk. I have done everything manualy with a SPL meter for better results. The auto setup sets my sub level at -10, which is redicolous. Manual set up is the way to go...

I believe that all the auto setup does is set your speaker levels, crossover, time delay, and distance adjustment. I doubt it performs any actual room correction like Audysey.
post #410 of 1555 Old 02-01-2011, 01:54 PM

The 7550HD has been pulled from HK's website, and the Harmanaudio store. Appears to have been discontinued after its ~2 year run.
Seems strange to remove it from the website entirely, considering several authorized retailers are still selling it @ full MAP

I imagine there won't be any word on it's successor (if there will be one) until fall.
post #411 of 1555 Old 02-01-2011, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The 7550HD has been pulled from HK's website, and the Harmanaudio store. Appears to have been discontinued after its ~2 year run.
Seems strange to remove it from the website entirely, considering several authorized retailers are still selling it @ full MAP

I imagine there won't be any word on it's successor (if there will be one) until fall.

There will be no new HK AVRs introduced til next year. The Atlanta warehouse still shows inventory available for the 7550HD..
As mentioned previously, HK is rethinking its USA distribution strategy as the majority of its AVR sales are in the lower priced categories when the SRP is < $999..

Just my $0.02...
post #412 of 1555 Old 02-01-2011, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Does this mean there might be some fire sales of the 7550HD? I am itching to upgrade from my 745. I am starting to look at NAD.
post #413 of 1555 Old 02-01-2011, 10:26 PM

Quote:

They also pulled their BDP 1 Blu Ray player off of their web site.

Talon884
Sarasota, FL

"I find your lack of faith ... disturbing."
post #414 of 1555 Old 02-02-2011, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

6th Avenue has the 7550HD for $1000 off MSRP today
post #415 of 1555 Old 02-05-2011, 02:10 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Whatever happened to the promised 1.4 upgrade?

Edit I just read M Codes post above.
post #416 of 1555 Old 02-05-2011, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tophinator View Post

Whatever happened to the promised 1.4 upgrade?

Edit I just read M Codes post above.

The 1.4 upgrade is available. HK is just not publicizing it. I assume for fear of being overwhelmed by everyone sending their units in for repair all at once. If you find a reason to send your unit in to them they will will send your unit back or a replacement unit with the 1.4 upgrade.

I got mine that way.

It appears the 1.4 fix allows 1.4 (3D) contents to be passed directly to the display, via bypass mode. The unit cannot process 1.4 contents.

M Codes, please chime in.
post #417 of 1555 Old 02-05-2011, 07:27 AM

If you do not have a Pioneer Elite with ICE amps, then you must have a listen to the SC-35 or 37. I just got a 35, and I couldn't be happier with the full-bodied, warm smooth, detailed sound. I always wanted a Harman Kardon, but could never pull the trigger after reading about all their qc problems. Pioneer Elite is bulletproof. I am on my second one. I had a VSX-54TX for six years, with nary a hiccup.

SDS
post #418 of 1555 Old 02-05-2011, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

After waiting for the 7550HD to be available at a lower price, I ended up ordering a NAD T747 yesterday for $699. I currently own HK AVR 745 but gave the older NAD T744 a listen and was very impressed.
post #419 of 1555 Old 02-05-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post

After waiting for the 7550HD to be available at a lower price, I ended up ordering a NAD T747 yesterday for $699. I currently own HK AVR 745 but gave the older NAD T744 a listen and was very impressed.

bommai,

I can't believe you jumped ship on us
post #420 of 1555 Old 02-05-2011, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoCy View Post

bommai,

I can't believe you jumped ship on us

My wife is upset too because she loves the looks of the HK 745 and the TC30 remote. But a few things have been frustrating me.

1) I love to upgrade every few years
2) I was limited to 1080i through 745. The HDMI splitter I had to send 1080p24 to my projector was not working reliably.
3) I am not able to update the TC30 remote - keep getting errors.
4) I bought a used NAD T744 for $150 from a friend for my living room small setup and by curiousity - hooked it up to my main system temporarily disconnecting the HK 745. I was very impressed by the NAD T744. I does not have the same power ratings as the HK or has all the features, but the pure sound quality was just as good or better. I was frankly surprised.
My brother has NAD stereo amps and swears by it.

I got the itch to upgrade and saw that the T747 (with four HDMI 1.3 inputs) for $699 and pulled the trigger yesterday. It won't have the sleekness of the HK or the UI but the sound quality will probably be good. If I am not impressed, I will have the option of returning it even though I will have to pay for shipping it back. I am hoping to get the TC30 remote working and selling it off. The 745 has been rock solid.

I wanted to give NAD a try. For this price I would not be able to get a 7550HD (only a 3600). But compared to a 3600 I think the NAD T747 will be better!

I will let people know next week.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page