post #541 of 1600 Old 02-23-2011, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatshaft View Post

speaker king,

I am looking forward to your review of the 7550HD.
Personally, I love my unit.
I have full range (all 7) in my HT.

When doing the EZSet/EQ setup, it puts all my speakers on Large.
The sound this beast produces is very good.

For me, the EZSet is hit or miss...I don't use it anymore cause it's produces mixed results.
What I do like about it is that it's dead on for level applied and the distance in ft it comes up with.
As for the EQ it comes up with...I'm very disappointed with the results.
It never fails to cancel my subs. When it's done and I apply the EQ on I completely loose bass of my 2 subs. (This is unacceptable!)
This is what I hate about the 7550HD. It's unfortunate because most of times after the setup is done, it adds dimension to the sound but without bass.
I now use it without EQ.

Congrats on the purchase....you bought a great unit.

Fatshaft,

Has your unit been upgraded to the 1.4 upgrade? I think you would notice a difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1600 Old 02-23-2011, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoCy View Post

Fatshaft,

Has your unit been upgraded to the 1.4 upgrade? I think you would notice a difference.

MoCy,

Difference in what?
My unit came with the 1.4 upgrade already installed.
post #543 of 1600 Old 02-23-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:

MoCy,

Difference in what?
My unit came with the 1.4 upgrade already installed.

The EzSet EQ results.
post #544 of 1600 Old 02-23-2011, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

I tried everything! I even called HK support but they were useless.
I told them with the EQ off and volume a -25DB I could not see the screen because the bass shakes my house to death.
With EQ on The bass goes on strike...it's GONE!

They told me to move my sub's around...when he said that, I immediately knew I was talking to an incompetent and said forget it!

Anyways no hiss, buzz or anything sound coming out of my speakers. NADA, nothing at all and I put the volume to +4db (which is max).
I guess that's a good thing

With my Yamaha RX-V3000 I had hiss noise coming out of EVERY speaker.
I guess that's a good thing

With my 745, after doing EQ, my sub would always show -10dB. I manually increase it to about -3 dB. Then check with test tones played from a Video Essentials DVD and they were spot on. So, Ezset is messing up. After that though, when I engage EQ, I get a lot of bass. I have to turn EQ off for certain music for it to sound pleasant. I don't think the 745 was any more expensive than the 7550HD. I bought the 745 refurb for $785 + shipping from Harman Audio on ebay in May of 2007. It looked new and came with TC30. It has been performing phenomenally all this time. I am just kinda slapping myself for ordering the 7550HD in haste! I am going to wait for speaker king's review before sending it back - damn 6th avenue for charging restocking fee if I open it.

My 7550HD will be delivered tomorrow!
post #545 of 1600 Old 02-23-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post

With my 745, after doing EQ, my sub would always show -10dB. I manually increase it to about -3 dB. Then check with test tones played from a Video Essentials DVD and they were spot on. So, Ezset is messing up. After that though, when I engage EQ, I get a lot of bass. I have to turn EQ off for certain music for it to sound pleasant. I don't think the 745 was any more expensive than the 7550HD. I bought the 745 refurb for $785 + shipping from Harman Audio on ebay in May of 2007. It looked new and came with TC30. It has been performing phenomenally all this time. I am just kinda slapping myself for ordering the 7550HD in haste! I am going to wait for speaker king's review before sending it back - damn 6th avenue for charging restocking fee if I open it.

My 7550HD will be delivered tomorrow!

Yeah me and Bommai are in the same boat. But ive heard the 745 theres a little diffrence between that and my 635 just a little more power. So ill judge my 635 and denon 4308ci against the 7550 and see if it's worth the upgrade since i don't have to pay the restocking fee to save Bommai money if it's not worth it.
post #546 of 1600 Old 02-24-2011, 04:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speaker king

Yeah me and Bommai are in the same boat. But ive heard the 745 theres a little diffrence between that and my 635 just a little more power. So ill judge my 635 and denon 4308ci against the 7550 and see if it's worth the upgrade since i don't have to pay the restocking fee to save Bommai money if it's not worth it.
I look forward to your review. Make sure you listen to both music and movies, two channel music and surround, with eq on and off. Does the 7550hd support multiple eq presets like the 745? Also when the eq is turned off, are channel level settings and speaker distance settings used or not?
post #547 of 1600 Old 02-24-2011, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My wife just called. The 7550hd is at our door step. Oh but I cannot open it until after speaker king's review tomorrow or Saturday. Oh the wait is going to kill me
post #548 of 1600 Old 02-24-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:

I look forward to your review. Make sure you listen to both music and movies, two channel music and surround, with eq on and off. Does the 7550hd support multiple eq presets like the 745? Also when the eq is turned off, are channel level settings and speaker distance settings used or not?

Yeah of course you gotta test out both music and movies for sure. And i was trying to find out what the inside of the 7550 looks like. And i did find a picture on crutchfield.com. Here's a link go through the pictures you'll find it.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-uwTwEYu...VR-7550HD.html

Now just going off looks alone from what i can see the power supply looks the same as my 635 wtf. I hope this reciever isn't a 635 with a few extra options and new surround sound formats at almost 3 times the price.
post #549 of 1600 Old 02-25-2011, 04:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

speaker king - so are you set with getting your unit today? Is it going to be at the end of the day? Post here or PM me if you manage to do some testing tonight! I have mine still double-boxed and unopened. Also, in the mean time, I was looking at the Oppo BDP-93 ($499). It has two HDMI inputs that I can set independent options on. I can set one for audio (PCM 5.1) going to the 745 and the other going directly to my projector. Or, I could even use the 7.1 analog output to go into 7.1 analog input into the 745. I just don't know the drawbacks for the analog. Will EzSet/EQ work. Will the bass management, crossover settings, etc be done on the Oppo or on the 745 still. How about the 10dB boost for the LFE? Since I don't have too many sources to plug into my HT, this might even be a choice. I only have my iMac for eyeTV based DVR watching and my Blurays. I don't have satellite or other sources. My projector is wired with 2 HDMI cables. I could use one for the iMac and one for the Oppo. Right now I am using my PS3 for Bluray. I play occasional games though. My PS3 has been flawless. I don't know enough about Oppo.

All this rambling is only valid if 7550HD does not offer sonic improvement over the 745. For me, the 745 pretty much works well even though I personally thought the NAD T747 that I was testing had better dialog separation. May be Dolby Volume will help with that.

speaker king - test the Dolby Volume too
post #550 of 1600 Old 02-25-2011, 07:42 AM

Quote:

speaker king - so are you set with getting your unit today? Is it going to be at the end of the day? Post here or PM me if you manage to do some testing tonight! I have mine still double-boxed and unopened. Also, in the mean time, I was looking at the Oppo BDP-93 ($499). It has two HDMI inputs that I can set independent options on. I can set one for audio (PCM 5.1) going to the 745 and the other going directly to my projector. Or, I could even use the 7.1 analog output to go into 7.1 analog input into the 745. I just don't know the drawbacks for the analog. Will EzSet/EQ work. Will the bass management, crossover settings, etc be done on the Oppo or on the 745 still. How about the 10dB boost for the LFE? Since I don't have too many sources to plug into my HT, this might even be a choice. I only have my iMac for eyeTV based DVR watching and my Blurays. I don't have satellite or other sources. My projector is wired with 2 HDMI cables. I could use one for the iMac and one for the Oppo. Right now I am using my PS3 for Bluray. I play occasional games though. My PS3 has been flawless. I don't know enough about Oppo.

All this rambling is only valid if 7550HD does not offer sonic improvement over the 745. For me, the 745 pretty much works well even though I personally thought the NAD T747 that I was testing had better dialog separation. May be Dolby Volume will help with that.

speaker king - test the Dolby Volume too

Whats up bommai i checked ups it is coming today still on time. I will check everything for you. I Know as far as the lfe boost either your reciever should have a subwoofer comp it will say +12 or the oppo should have it. The whole thing about analog is people say it's going to give you the same sound but on my 635 it did't sound the same to me as having a built in decoder but of course i don't have bass management. I tell ya my hobbies' i took today off so i could 1 make sure i get my package and it doesn't go back to the hub and 2 so i can play with my 7550 i can't wait. And i think the harman kardon's don't apply the eq when using analog connections you can call and ask em but i never used it cause i prefer the sound without it anyway. But i hope that the new ez eq version 2 or 3 whatever people are calling it lol. l hope it works as good as audyssey.
post #551 of 1600 Old 02-25-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speaker king View Post

Whats up bommai i checked ups it is coming today still on time. I will check everything for you. I Know as far as the lfe boost either your reciever should have a subwoofer comp it will say +12 or the oppo should have it. The whole thing about analog is people say it's going to give you the same sound but on my 635 it did't sound the same to me as having a built in decoder but of course i don't have bass management. I tell ya my hobbies' i took today off so i could 1 make sure i get my package and it doesn't go back to the hub and 2 so i can play with my 7550 i can't wait. And i think the harman kardon's don't apply the eq when using analog connections you can call and ask em but i never used it cause i prefer the sound without it anyway. But i hope that the new ez eq version 2 or 3 whatever people are calling it lol. l hope it works as good as audyssey.

Speaker King,

I'm also awaiting your test results with all Bommai requested( comparing with HK 635) and more importantly with Denon 4308 specifically to see if it's worth moving from Denon justifying the price.
post #552 of 1600 Old 02-25-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adumadu View Post

Speaker King,

I'm also awaiting your test results with all Bommai requested( comparing with HK 635) and more importantly with Denon 4308 specifically to see if it's worth moving from Denon justifying the price.

Yeah this is going to be one hell of a comparision the 4308 is very powerfull and a very refined reciever check this out

http://www.ultimateavmag.com/content...r-measurements

So this will be a good comparision between the two brands.
post #553 of 1600 Old 02-25-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:

Yeah this is going to be one hell of a comparision the 4308 is very powerfull and a very refined reciever check this out

http://www.ultimateavmag.com/content...r-measurements

So this will be a good comparision between the two brands.

Thanks for the link. Yes, the Denon measurements are truly impressive 165watts with 0.0002 distortion and 198 watts with 0.1 distortion is amazing. I'm not sure why there are no such measurements posted for 7550HD.

Anyway, hearing is better than the measurements. I'll wait for your review.
post #554 of 1600 Old 02-25-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adumadu View Post

Thanks for the link. Yes, the Denon measurements are truly impressive 165watts with 0.0002 distortion and 198 watts with 0.1 distortion is amazing. I'm not sure why there are no such measurements posted for 7550HD.

Anyway, hearing is better than the measurements. I'll wait for your review.

Yeah i was wondering the same thing about the 7550 why there isn't any measurments. Thats why i decided to order the 7550 cause i do like harman recievers. And usually there top of the line recievers usually sound very good. And im a huge fan of the texas instruments processors.

Ive tried the onkyo 3007 the yamaha 3900 the pioneer sc-05 and the only on that could come close sonically to my hk avr 635 was the 4308 !
Thats why i have high hopes for this reciever.
post #555 of 1600 Old 02-25-2011, 01:52 PM

Hey my friend just got his 7550. Is there a way to tell if it is upgraded to the 1.4 he says there is a sticker on the side that says now equipped for 3d. And it has both a blue and green sticker on the of the box by the serial code i think. Did the people on here who got there 7550 have that on there box also? Or do all 7550 recievers have to be sent in to be upgraded to 1.4
post #556 of 1600 Old 02-25-2011, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey my friend just got his 7550. Is there a way to tell if it is upgraded to the 1.4 he says there is a sticker on the side that says now equipped for 3d. And it has both a blue and green sticker on the of the box by the serial code i think. Did the people on here who got there 7550 have that on there box also? Or do all 7550 recievers have to be sent in to be upgraded to 1.4

6ave.com guys told me that it is already upgraded to 1.4. They even advertised it that way. I have not opened my double box and don't know what sticker is on the manufacturer box. BTW, did you get yours yet. Mine came yesterday morning itself! But just feel like my money could be spent elsewhere. I got my tax refund today too. Yippie.
post #557 of 1600 Old 02-25-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:

6ave.com guys told me that it is already upgraded to 1.4. They even advertised it that way. I have not opened my double box and don't know what sticker is on the manufacturer box. BTW, did you get yours yet. Mine came yesterday morning itself! But just feel like my money could be spent elsewhere. I got my tax refund today too. Yippie.

According to harman all 7550 recievers have to be sent in for replacement so i don't know how 6 ave has these 1.4 models !
post #558 of 1600 Old 02-25-2011, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You can open the double box you just can't open the harman box that's when you get charged the restocking fee take a look for me let me know about the stickers on the box mine should be here any time now. If you want to that is or i can call 6 ave and ask them either way.

If I choose to return it, I am hoping to do a UPS - return to sender deal without opening it. That would mean I cannot open the outer box either. Let me know if you get your receiver. If it was recently sent to J&R, it should already have the 1.4 upgrade.
post #559 of 1600 Old 02-25-2011, 03:05 PM

[quote=bommai;20063631]If I choose to return it, I am hoping to do a UPS - return to sender deal without opening it. That would mean I cannot open the outer box either. Let me know if you get your receiver. If it was recently sent to J&R, it should already have the 1.4 upgrade.[/QUOTE

I see what your saying in that case i wouldn't open it either. What's very strange is i spoke to a manager at h/k and he said all 7550 recievers have to be exchanged or updated for the 1.4 and yet 6ave has the new 1.4 recievers and now my buddy recieved his with that 3d sticker wtf how strange.
post #560 of 1600 Old 02-25-2011, 03:40 PM

Hello,

Been a long time looker at this forum and have waited a long time to get the HK 7550! I took advantage of the great pricing and purchased this receiver but I am having issues running the ExSet/Eq (not so easy for me!). I can not get the calibration to complete when my rear speakers are hooked up. I get the following error message: "Test Error - Asymmetry Detached: A speaker is missing please check our speaker connections". I have detached my rear speakers and the calibration works. I have confirmed that everything is "in phase". I then reconnected my speakers where my rear speakers became my front speakers and vice versa and the same error. Could the placement of my rear speakers be causing havoc on the calibration? Has anyone else heard or experienced this issue before? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
post #561 of 1600 Old 02-25-2011, 04:02 PM

speaker King,

You must live on the west coast, because UPS should have gotten to you by now. It is now 7:00 PM in the east... Don't keep us waiting!
post #562 of 1600 Old 02-25-2011, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey anyone know how UPS return to sender works. The receiver was left on my front porch - no signature required. This was yesterday. I still have the receiver unopened. If speaker king says that it is not that big an upgrade for him, I might return mine. If I take it to UPS and ask them to return it (it is still unopened), will they just return it. How will the return shipping work? I assume they will automatically bill 6th avenue for it. I guess I will also have to call 6th avenue to let them know. I actually tried to cancel it 3 hours after I ordered it last friday and they said it is already prepared to ship and I cannot do anything. They did say I can refuse delivery.
post #563 of 1600 Old 02-25-2011, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

speaker King,

You must live on the west coast, because UPS should have gotten to you by now. It is now 7:00 PM in the east... Don't keep us waiting!

Definitely I got mine during the daytime yesterday. Hopefully they did not deliver it to the wrong address
post #564 of 1600 Old 02-25-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:

Definitely I got mine during the daytime yesterday. Hopefully they did not deliver it to the wrong address

lol I hope not. UPS wouldn't hear the end of it. Speaker King, talk to us!!!!
post #565 of 1600 Old 02-25-2011, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

lol I hope not. UPS wouldn't hear the end of it. Speaker King, talk to us!!!!

He is too busy playing with it. If not, he would have complained on this thread that he still has not gotten it.
post #566 of 1600 Old 02-25-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:

He is too busy playing with it. If not, he would have complained on this thread that he still has not gotten it.

bommai,

I think you are right... the least he could have done is take his laptop with him to the man-cave and give us some real-time update. Shame on you speaker king, for keeping us guessing!

I am mad as hell i am not going to take it anymore!! I am gonna yell for my friend M Code to keep us company.lol
post #567 of 1600 Old 02-25-2011, 05:50 PM

Yeah guys ups came really late i was pissed.

Ok guys so far i think the new eq is way better. And also the video processor is very nice. Sorry about the delay guys i was setting this up making sure everything sounded right. Do you guys have any ?s for me and ill have my laptop on all night while i mess with the goodies feel free do drop me a message.

bommai this reciever is pushing out some serious bass out my subwoofer. And also the sound is very crisp and deep is the best way i can explain it so far. And also ups just left my reciever on the steps also no signature required.
post #568 of 1600 Old 02-25-2011, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:

this reciever is pushing out some serious bass out my subwoofer. And also the sound is very crisp and deep is the best way i can explain it so far. And also ups just let my reciever on the steps also no signature required.

Is this with the EQ on?
If yes then my unit will be going back cause somethings wrong!
post #569 of 1600 Old 02-25-2011, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Keep up the feedback. Thanks. Was it already upgraded to 1.4? Any early glitches or gotchas? Are u using the eq? Can you enable and disable the eq from the remote? How is the remote? Is it backlit? I love the TC30 that came with the 745. Are you bitstreaming lossless surround audio? Can you send it as 5.1 PCM from your bluray player? Do you have any high sample rate content (96 kHz)? How is the VFD? Is it informative? I like the 745 display the way it shows the channel content and what speakers are used to output audio. I heard hk got rid of that. Are you using one sub or two? I only have one. Is the front door flimsy?
post #570 of 1600 Old 02-25-2011, 06:17 PM

Quote:

Is this with the EQ on?
If yes then my unit will be going back cause somethings wrong!

Yeah with it on it's amazing.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page