Harman Kardon AVR 7550HD (2008 announcement) - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 1600 Old 09-28-2011, 09:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Im thinking of upgrading my avr 430 to 7550hd, would this be a waste of money for me, im mostly into home theatre. I use a 8 speaker setup my other choice was the 3600.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 1600 Old 09-29-2011, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just got my 7550 yesterday and all I can say is wow. This thing reminds me of my old 635 except it has HDMI and a better dynamics.

My only issue right now is that I'm noticing a bit of scratchiness in my speakers from vocals. I sure hope it's something simple like I need to change my satellite setup or something...We changed to a HD recorder and I don't know if I set it up on the right satellite and I'm hoping it's just a problem signal.
post #1083 of 1600 Old 09-29-2011, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangjason View Post

Just got my 7550 yesterday and all I can say is wow. This thing reminds me of my old 635 except it has HDMI and a better dynamics.

My only issue right now is that I'm noticing a bit of scratchiness in my speakers from vocals. I sure hope it's something simple like I need to change my satellite setup or something...We changed to a HD recorder and I don't know if I set it up on the right satellite and I'm hoping it's just a problem signal.

It is an excellent AVR except for the little bugs i had. Did you run the full EZset-EQ? I tried the ones I had without running it first and noticed the same as you. After running full EQ setup for all speakers/sub and the near field for the fronts it went away. That thing has unbelievable power and dynamics. I wish that the two I had didn't have any bugs or I would have kept one of them.
post #1084 of 1600 Old 09-30-2011, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post

It is an excellent AVR except for the little bugs i had. Did you run the full EZset-EQ? I tried the ones I had without running it first and noticed the same as you. After running full EQ setup for all speakers/sub and the near field for the fronts it went away. That thing has unbelievable power and dynamics. I wish that the two I had didn't have any bugs or I would have kept one of them.

Hey Pantom - Did you find a compromise in 'sound quality' going from the HK 7550HD to the Yam RX-A3000? I know the dependability is what made you switch. I am considering giving the AVR7550HD a try. I have had two HK 3600/2600. Both gave me problems. Also have Yam RXv663. No probs ever with the 663 but the sound of the HKs beats the Yammie. To my ears Dolby Volume is really significant sound upgrade. I am mostly concerned with music, two channel specifically on Ascend speakers (Sierras, NrT upgrades and soon to buy Sierra Towers).

So I have personally experienced the 'warm HK sound,' Yammie is good too but different, maybe the higher end A-3000 will be significant improvement over the low end RX-V663. Could you share your experience in any perceived diff in sounds between HK and Yamaha brands. I'm ready to either try the HK and hope it is a good one (there must be some that don't break) or go ahead and buy the Yammie A3000 and tweak it to get the sound as close to HK as i can. Thanks for your thoughts!
post #1085 of 1600 Old 09-30-2011, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsound View Post

Hey Pantom - Did you find a compromise in 'sound quality' going from the HK 7550HD to the Yam RX-A3000? I know the dependability is what made you switch. I am considering giving the AVR7550HD a try. I have had two HK 3600/2600. Both gave me problems. Also have Yam RXv663. No probs ever with the 663 but the sound of the HKs beats the Yammie. To my ears Dolby Volume is really significant sound upgrade. I am mostly concerned with music, two channel specifically on Ascend speakers (Sierras, NrT upgrades and soon to buy Sierra Towers).

So I have personally experienced the 'warm HK sound,' Yammie is good too but different, maybe the higher end A-3000 will be significant improvement over the low end RX-V663. Could you share your experience in any perceived diff in sounds between HK and Yamaha brands. I'm ready to either try the HK and hope it is a good one (there must be some that don't break) or go ahead and buy the Yammie A3000 and tweak it to get the sound as close to HK as i can. Thanks for your thoughts!

Not a lot. I feel that the H/K was a more powerful AVR, I really liked the Eq program(it seems that most don't), and Dolby Volume,Logic 7 are outstanding. I really liked the GUI on the 7550HD more and ease of use was better on the H/K. I did try the video section on the H/K and it worked better than any I've used before. Haven't tried it on the A3000. For 2 channel sound I think the H/K was better. Build quality wise the nod would also go to the H/K. Realize that the 7550HD was/is a flagship AVR that cost over $2700 when it came out. In direct mode I doubt you tell the difference between the two. Change that though to one of the other modes and there you notice the difference IMO due to the EQ methods. If I could have got one of the H/K's to work like it was supposed to I would not have purchased the Yamaha A3000. My wife and I both loved that AVR, almost enough to put up with the little bugs. She would have put up with them, however I'm a freak and its the little things that bother me. If I were you I would get the 7550HD from someone with a good return policy and try it. You may be able to put up with any little quirks it has and really they were very minor. It definitely deserves at least a trial IMO. Your only problem is will the Yamaha A3000 still be around for you to get the right price on one. The Yamaha's just always seem to work as advertised and I felt that way before I tried out the 7550HD. I knew that if I had any problems with the H/K, Yamaha A3000 was there to purchase. With the speakers you are using and your preference for 2 channel sound go for the H/K first. I don't think you will be disappointed in any way. Also be sure and run the EQ program after getting it setup and then give it a good workout. I don't feel like you will regret your choice. Being a H/K fan that 7550 will blow you away. Good luck and hope this helps in some way.
post #1086 of 1600 Old 09-30-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:

I'm beginning to think a lot of my scratchy sound is from the source stations I've been watching. I've ran setup but I may need to turn my EQ on. I watched the Guardian movie about the owls from my HD DVR and didn't notice much if any sibilance so I'm beginning to think my sources are the problems. Oh yeah and after watching Guardians I am completely blown away by this receiver!!
post #1087 of 1600 Old 09-30-2011, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangjason View Post

I'm beginning to think a lot of my scratchy sound is from the source stations I've been watching. I've ran setup but I may need to turn my EQ on. I watched the Guardian movie about the owls from my HD DVR and didn't notice much if any sibilance so I'm beginning to think my sources are the problems. Oh yeah and after watching Guardians I am completely blown away by this receiver!!

Great I'm glad you like it. Be sure when you turn on that EQ that the volume is down. I didn't and was in for quite a surprise. That thing is way powerful. Wish I could have kept one of mine. Not saying the Yamaha A3000 is bad by any means , just was very impressed by that 7550HD. Wish I wasn't so damn picky about this stuff. Sometimes to the point of nitpicking. That thing should get better by age. If the fan(s) start squealing do what others here have done and go down to a computer and get some better ones and install them yourself. Good luck and hope it last you for a very long time.
post #1088 of 1600 Old 09-30-2011, 03:20 PM

Thanks for your reply. I have been leaning that direction - to roll the dice again and try the HK. I take it from your response that there is a bit of a difference in sound between the two receivers. I guess I like the coloration of EQ and the Dolby sound when it helped with room issues, even with 2 channel music. I try listening through direct now and then and always end up going back to EQ, Dolby volume, or YPAO on the 663 which all sound richer to my ears. The easyset EQII on the 7550 sounds like it may do a better job that the original EQ that was on the 3600.

6ave has a great price on the 7550 right now, it is only a bit more than I could get the A-2000 for. Return policy is only good for replacement of the same item though. Not confidence building there. I returned a 2600 for a refund with JR a few months back.

It does seems that even though the 7550HD is a couple years old it still has pretty much what I am looking for - except for the quality question. Love that sound - but HK has really dropped the ball on dependability. Its a major hassle to deal with a defective unit - I know, I'm two for two in defective units with HK. Says a lot that I am even considering trying again. If only HK would work quality as well as Yamaha does. I'd not even hesitate a second. I'm grateful that I have choices and I'm confident that I will end up with the right receiver. Thanks again Phantom52
post #1089 of 1600 Old 09-30-2011, 04:35 PM

One reason I chose the 7550 over the 3600 is because I had two bad 3600s before I got a good one on the third exchange with Harman Audio. The only problem I see with the 7550, I don't really consider it a problem myself, that I've heard mentioned on here is a slight lag in audio after I change the channel. I've not had any issues with loss of picture or a problem with the order I turn things on. I'm even able to turn the TV on after the receiver is already on and I couldn't do that with my Pioneer 1120k or it would power off but that may had something to do with my Pio TV.
post #1090 of 1600 Old 09-30-2011, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I'm having a problem with the 7550 since I got a new TV last week. I wanted to try 1080/24p but it doesn't seem to work unless I use HDMI bypass going through the receiver. Even in bypass mode, when the movie ended, the TV was in 60p mode so I'm not even sure if it was working even then. The HK 7550 with the latest firmware should be able to handle 24p right?
post #1091 of 1600 Old 10-10-2011, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by House of Boom View Post

I had my 7550hd lose all its settings a week or so ago after a power outage. Everything was returned to factory stock. This happened every now and again with my 745 too. Probably 6 times in the years I owned it.

It doesnt seem to be just a power loss that causes it, because I have had those with no memory loss in either unit. Maybe a surge ?

With the 745, none of the clocks in the house would be flashing indicated a power outage which always had me scratching my head. I learned to just write the settings down now so its not a big pita.

I had a 7550HD and a 435 that lost settings after power outages. The 435 lost settings after simply unplugging it. The 7550HD would keep its settings if unplugged (tested for a few hours), but a quick power outage (while it was not in use) of just ~15 minutes zapped its settings back to default. Wierd.

That ^^^ 7550HD has been replaced with another one (for the HDMI 1.4 upgrade). Haven't had any power outages yet so don't know if it has the same problem.

BUT, this one has a NEW problem. It shuts off by itself a few seconds after powering on. If I turn it back on right after, it'll stay on. What's wierd is that I used to have a window of a few seconds (maybe ~15-20) within which I could turn the unit back on and have it stay on. Over time that window has gotten smaller and now I have to turn it back on immediately in order for it to stay on. Processor resets haven't helped. It ALWAYS turns off at the point where the display changes from telling you the volume to the source/input. For example I'll turn it on and it'll say DVD & Vol -40dB, the bottom line will change to HDMI 1 / HDMI 1, right after that it'll click off. Doesn't matter what source or input, FM Radio, Cable, Analog etc...

Reading above, sounds like it would have to be sent in for repair because they're out of replacements/new ones... New model not due to summer 2012? I think I remember reading that somewhere here...

Any ideas on what's wrong with it?

I want Ed on DVD/Blu-ray!
post #1092 of 1600 Old 10-13-2011, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

Have a AVR 347 and am considering the 7550HD. My concern is my 347 just feels a little chinsy. The volume knob doesn't work anymore, and it always felt fragile. Silly but, a solid volume knob is really important to me. I lneed some more power, I love Logic 7, and I really want to be able to post process all streams, even HD ones, into 7.1, but I don't want to shell out a grand and feel like the unit won't last. Any input? Especially about the 7550's volume knob?
post #1093 of 1600 Old 10-13-2011, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsandvb View Post

I had a 7550HD and a 435 that lost settings after power outages. The 435 lost settings after simply unplugging it. The 7550HD would keep its settings if unplugged (tested for a few hours), but a quick power outage (while it was not in use) of just ~15 minutes zapped its settings back to default. Wierd.

That ^^^ 7550HD has been replaced with another one (for the HDMI 1.4 upgrade). Haven't had any power outages yet so don't know if it has the same problem.

BUT, this one has a NEW problem. It shuts off by itself a few seconds after powering on. If I turn it back on right after, it'll stay on. What's wierd is that I used to have a window of a few seconds (maybe ~15-20) within which I could turn the unit back on and have it stay on. Over time that window has gotten smaller and now I have to turn it back on immediately in order for it to stay on. Processor resets haven't helped. It ALWAYS turns off at the point where the display changes from telling you the volume to the source/input. For example I'll turn it on and it'll say DVD & Vol -40dB, the bottom line will change to HDMI 1 / HDMI 1, right after that it'll click off. Doesn't matter what source or input, FM Radio, Cable, Analog etc...

Reading above, sounds like it would have to be sent in for repair because they're out of replacements/new ones... New model not due to summer 2012? I think I remember reading that somewhere here...

when you short speaker wires, the unit turns off to protect itself.
If you're not using banana plugs or spades, it may be worth rechecking the wiring to make sure no copper threads are shorting by the binding posts or where it's connected.
post #1094 of 1600 Old 10-14-2011, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amicusterrae View Post

Have a AVR 347 and am considering the 7550HD. My concern is my 347 just feels a little chinsy. The volume knob doesn't work anymore, and it always felt fragile. Silly but, a solid volume knob is really important to me. I lneed some more power, I love Logic 7, and I really want to be able to post process all streams, even HD ones, into 7.1, but I don't want to shell out a grand and feel like the unit won't last. Any input? Especially about the 7550's volume knob?

The volume knob is like the other models. But that is the only thing it has in common with their other models. Nothing else they make comes close to the build quality of the 7550HD. Nothing. I sure would not let the volume knob be a deciding factor with this one or any other that I can think of at this time.
post #1095 of 1600 Old 10-14-2011, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The volume knob is like the other models. But that is the only thing it has in common with their other models. Nothing else they make comes close to the build quality of the 7550HD. Nothing. I sure would not let the volume knob be a deciding factor with this one or any other that I can think of at this time.

Thanks!
I appreciate your thoughts.

Anyone seen a photo of the inside?
post #1096 of 1600 Old 10-14-2011, 05:31 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

I swapped a 7550 in favor of my 347 several months ago. The volume control does feel slightly different. The 347 (and my 254 and 3490 in other rooms) have a bit of 'wiggle' side to side and there is a tiny gap around the edge. The knobs even make a slight cheap plastic creaking noise when you grab them. The 7550's knob (both my first one and second (replacement) units) has a almost no clearance between the knob and plexi bezel, and while I would not consider it 'solid' it does feel much better because of this. It is noticeably harder to turn as well. The knob itself is also slightly different, with a chamfered outer edge rather than the smooth rounded edge on the other ones - plus it doesn't make any weird noises
They function exactly the same, with the tiny detents through their rotation

I almost never use the volume knob, though (like most people I imagine) - so I'll take the lack of precision for the cool aesthetic

Quote:

Thanks!
I appreciate your thoughts.

Anyone seen a photo of the inside?

Crutchfield still has their page for the 7550 up, they have a picture with the cover off in the product photos section.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_532AVR7...ssi=0&tp=13508
post #1097 of 1600 Old 10-14-2011, 06:30 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

when you short speaker wires, the unit turns off to protect itself.
If you're not using banana plugs or spades, it may be worth rechecking the wiring to make sure no copper threads are shorting by the binding posts or where it's connected.

I'm using closed banana plugs, I'm guessing there's no short. (I'd simply check, but I'm disabled and would need someone to get back there and check for me.) Could it be a short if it stays on after powering on again?

What else could be wrong?

I want Ed on DVD/Blu-ray!
post #1098 of 1600 Old 10-15-2011, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm using closed banana plugs, I'm guessing there's no short. (I'd simply check, but I'm disabled and would need someone to get back there and check for me.) Could it be a short if it stays on after powering on again?

The unit will turn on with shorted speaker wire, but will not stay on for long.

Possible shorted speaker wire is "one" of the symptoms that causes the AVR to shut off by itself.
post #1099 of 1600 Old 10-18-2011, 09:58 PM

Quote:

Best way to tell is to disconnect all speaker wires and if the unit still powers off then it's a problem with the receiver.
post #1100 of 1600 Old 10-19-2011, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRockHK View Post

I swapped a 7550 in favor of my 347 several months ago. The volume control does feel slightly different. The 347 (and my 254 and 3490 in other rooms) have a bit of 'wiggle' side to side and there is a tiny gap around the edge. The knobs even make a slight cheap plastic creaking noise when you grab them. The 7550's knob (both my first one and second (replacement) units) has a almost no clearance between the knob and plexi bezel, and while I would not consider it 'solid' it does feel much better because of this. It is noticeably harder to turn as well. The knob itself is also slightly different, with a chamfered outer edge rather than the smooth rounded edge on the other ones - plus it doesn't make any weird noises
They function exactly the same, with the tiny detents through their rotation
I almost never use the volume knob, though (like most people I imagine) - so I'll take the lack of precision for the cool aesthetic
Crutchfield still has their page for the 7550 up, they have a picture with the cover off in the product photos section.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_532AVR7...ssi=0&tp=13508

Thanks! That's just what I needed. And, leave it to Crutchfield for the internal shot.

Wow, it's crowded in there! I would be less apprehensive if HK had made the chassis bigger, but then it would be more expensive I suppose.
post #1101 of 1600 Old 10-19-2011, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks! That's just what I needed. And, leave it to Crutchfield for the internal shot.

Wow, it's crowded in there! I would be less apprehensive if HK had made the chassis bigger, but then it would be more expensive I suppose.

Got a wind tunnel in it for cooling. First one I received had a squealer fan in it. Other than that it worked like it was supposed to. Sent it back and got another. Second one had a few more bugs in it than the first one. Looking back I should have kept the first one and changed the fans out myself. It seems from others here that its easy enough to do.
post #1102 of 1600 Old 10-19-2011, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Second one had a few more bugs in it than the first one.

What kind of bugs?
post #1103 of 1600 Old 10-19-2011, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What kind of bugs?

With the "Bridge" the display would lagged behind what was actually playing. It would also leave parts of song titles from the previous song in the display. This was ongoing. It would cut off the first few seconds of music on occasion and every time you skipped songs or changed inputs. On some channels with Logic 7 the center channel would sound full of static and would correct itself if you changed channels and then went back. Pro-Logic with the same channels never did it. A few other really minor things that I can't recall at this time. Have been using a Yamaha A3000 that works flawlessly and is really nice. Actually the A3000 can't keep up with the 7550 power wise and ease of set-up. I was leery of the little bugs in the 7550 being a processor problem and just getting worse as it aged. So back it went. The first one I had did not do these things. It had squealing fans after only a few weeks of service. That's why I stated I should have kept it and just changed to better fans.
post #1104 of 1600 Old 10-19-2011, 08:43 PM

Quote:

With the "Bridge" the display would lagged behind what was actually playing. It would also leave parts of song titles from the previous song in the display. This was ongoing. It would cut off the first few seconds of music on occasion and every time you skipped songs or changed inputs. On some channels with Logic 7 the center channel would sound full of static and would correct itself if you changed channels and then went back. Pro-Logic with the same channels never did it. A few other really minor things that I can't recall at this time. Have been using a Yamaha A3000 that works flawlessly and is really nice. Actually the A3000 can't keep up with the 7550 power wise and ease of set-up. I was leery of the little bugs in the 7550 being a processor problem and just getting worse as it aged. So back it went. The first one I had did not do these things. It had squealing fans after only a few weeks of service. That's why I stated I should have kept it and just changed to better fans.

The problems don't get worse with age, if you let the fan squeal for a year or so it just stops(the noise I hope), fuzzy logic 7 is very intermittent for me, hdmi problems are still the same and are fixed by turning it off and on. I personally feel it is a little lower on power compared to other h/k flagships. I actually use my 7550hd as a pre amp with 2 citation 7.1s with good results. I just learned to live with the bugs.
post #1105 of 1600 Old 10-28-2011, 03:07 AM

Hey Phantom - I ended up going for the Yamaha RX-A2010 and have had it now for a few days. Of course you are so right about the differences. In hindsight should have gone with your suggestion to try the 7550 first.

The 2010 is a great receiver no doubt but it doesn't blow me away. I was hoping that the higher end yammie would be a huge step above the sound of my rx-v663 and that maybe it would come close to the rich sound of the H/K 3600. It certainly is a huge step up from 663 receiver (for 3x the price) and everything works just like it is supposed to. It does have a similar sound to the 663 though, which I have liked well enough, that was before I plugged those Sierras into my first H/K (I enjoy daily a set of Sierra 1s and a set of NrT upgrades). For HT the 2010 is not bad at all but I am not feeling the 2 channel love like I have felt with my previous H/K amps.

So, I have decided to utilize the 30 day return policy at JR and return the 2010, worth it to me to eat the shipping fees. I'll hope for the best re quality issues with the HK. I mostly made my decision on experience with faulty H/K products. Clearly, this hobby is not about being safe! Good lesson - my ears, and the processing inside my brain, know what's best. I believe there are untold 1000s of very satisfied 7550 users. Fingers crossed that I will be one of them soon. Two or three year old technology but looking at the lightweight (literally) new line of H/K receivers and at this great price for a flagship (at the time) receiver it is truly a no brainer.

Thanks for your insights. I also appreciate your posts over there on the Yamaha Aventage thread! I'll let you know how the 7550 works out.

Quote:

Not a lot. I feel that the H/K was a more powerful AVR, I really liked the Eq program(it seems that most don't), and Dolby Volume,Logic 7 are outstanding. I really liked the GUI on the 7550HD more and ease of use was better on the H/K. I did try the video section on the H/K and it worked better than any I've used before. Haven't tried it on the A3000. For 2 channel sound I think the H/K was better. Build quality wise the nod would also go to the H/K. Realize that the 7550HD was/is a flagship AVR that cost over $2700 when it came out. In direct mode I doubt you tell the difference between the two. Change that though to one of the other modes and there you notice the difference IMO due to the EQ methods. If I could have got one of the H/K's to work like it was supposed to I would not have purchased the Yamaha A3000. My wife and I both loved that AVR, almost enough to put up with the little bugs. She would have put up with them, however I'm a freak and its the little things that bother me. If I were you I would get the 7550HD from someone with a good return policy and try it. You may be able to put up with any little quirks it has and really they were very minor. It definitely deserves at least a trial IMO. Your only problem is will the Yamaha A3000 still be around for you to get the right price on one. The Yamaha's just always seem to work as advertised and I felt that way before I tried out the 7550HD. I knew that if I had any problems with the H/K, Yamaha A3000 was there to purchase. With the speakers you are using and your preference for 2 channel sound go for the H/K first. I don't think you will be disappointed in any way. Also be sure and run the EQ program after getting it setup and then give it a good workout. I don't feel like you will regret your choice. Being a H/K fan that 7550 will blow you away. Good luck and hope this helps in some way.

post #1106 of 1600 Old 10-28-2011, 04:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey Phantom - I ended up going for the Yamaha RX-A2010 and have had it now for a few days. Of course you are so right about the differences. In hindsight should have gone with your suggestion to try the 7550 first.

The 2010 is a great receiver no doubt but it doesn't blow me away. I was hoping that the higher end yammie would be a huge step above the sound of my rx-v663 and that maybe it would come close to the rich sound of the H/K 3600. It certainly is a huge step up from 663 receiver (for 3x the price) and everything works just like it is supposed to. It does have a similar sound to the 663 though, which I have liked well enough, that was before I plugged those Sierras into my first H/K (I enjoy daily a set of Sierra 1s and a set of NrT upgrades). For HT the 2010 is not bad at all but I am not feeling the 2 channel love like I have felt with my previous H/K amps.

So, I have decided to utilize the 30 day return policy at JR and return the 2010, worth it to me to eat the shipping fees. I'll hope for the best re quality issues with the HK. I mostly made my decision on experience with faulty H/K products. Clearly, this hobby is not about being safe! Good lesson - my ears, and the processing inside my brain, know what's best. I believe there are untold 1000s of very satisfied 7550 users. Fingers crossed that I will be one of them soon. Two or three year old technology but looking at the lightweight (literally) new line of H/K receivers and at this great price for a flagship (at the time) receiver it is truly a no brainer.

Thanks for your insights. I also appreciate your posts over there on the Yamaha Aventage thread! I'll let you know how the 7550 works out.

I feel that you like the 7550Hd much more. Buyers remorse sucks. I wish that either of mine would have worked correctly. In hindsight I should have kept the first one I had and just taken it apart and changed out the three fans to better quality ones. FYI, there is a fully refurbed 7550HD over on E-Bay with 3 days left on bidding that is right now at an outstanding price. Have no idea how high the bidding will go but yesterday it was at only $415. You may want to try for that one to save some money. Shipping is included and it is coming from Harmon not an individual. Full warranty and free shipping. Worth a shot. I was going to get into that bidding but my wife would kill me. Brand new A3000 in the house. Would love to have the 7550HD back because I feel that is a better AVR than the A3000, soundwise, build quality, and ease of use. A lot more powerful also. Like I said buyers remorse sucks. Wish I had never used the 7550HD. It was easily the best sounding AVR I've ever used. Would trade the A3000 for one in a heartbeat. Good luck and hope you are able to get one. You won't be sorry for a minute. See below. Bidding is up to $500 already. Again good luck.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harman-Kardo...#ht_4727wt_908
post #1107 of 1600 Old 10-28-2011, 10:48 AM

Just some info...
6AVE has the AVR7550HD for $998.00
http://www.6ave.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=HARAVR7550HD

post #1108 of 1600 Old 10-28-2011, 07:27 PM

Thanks Guys! The 6ave deal was what I had my eye on. Might save a bit o money on ebay but I'm not up for the bidding and waiting - not to mention that it is the HDMI 1.3a version, and the 'Z' added to the part number....

6ave order is fullfilled by Amazon - 6ave also doesn't seem to have any phone customer service any more. Cutting costs in this economy apparently. The Amazon page said they had 7 left when I found it 12 hours ago, now says only 5 left - 1 coming to me. Interestingly the 6ave link to purchase looks like it has been hijacked or incorrectly redirected to another company's offering on Amazon which lists at 1499. At first I thought 6 ave sold out. It took some searching on Amazon site to find 6 ave's 998 offering.

I ordered 11 hours ago, according to Amazon it has shipped already - 6 hours after I ordered it. Wow that is a first. They even ship free to our APO address. I've got the RMA for the RX-A2010 (excellent cust service at JR!) so will be sending that back soon, won't be able to keep it around long enough to have both here at the same time. No need to keep it around for comparison anyway. I have done that with the 3600 and RX-V663 and the 2010. I know what sounds good to me - they are all pretty darn good. 3600 wins hands down on 2.1 to my ears. I'm glad I did it this way because I would have been continuing to wonder if the higher end Yammie would be enough of an improvement over the 663 to beat out the H/K. Both Yammies = sound good, but the H/K sound = richer and just plain exciting to my ear. Lots of tweaking with all three receivers. Not sure exactly why H/K wins but reason doesn't matter.

Psyched and hopeful that the quality is no issue with this H/K. I think I've read most of this thread over the last few weeks. Appreciate all the discussion you guys generate. Good for us lurkers - I imagine there are a lot of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riv359 View Post

Just some info...
6AVE has the AVR7550HD for $998.00
http://www.6ave.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=HARAVR7550HD

post #1109 of 1600 Old 10-28-2011, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^^ Quality is there. Hopefully yours works as it should. If it even comes close you are going to be very impressed. It's the best built AVR I've ever used. I'm liable to get into trouble over that darn AVR yet. Can't help but wish I would have kept that first one and changed those fans.
post #1110 of 1600 Old 10-28-2011, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Thanks Guys! The 6ave deal was what I had my eye on. Might save a bit o money on ebay but I'm not up for the bidding and waiting - not to mention that it is the HDMI 1.3a version, and the 'Z' added to the part number....

Not to say you made the wrong decision (because I definitely think you made the right one) but I wouldn't hesitate to buy from harmanaudio on eBay. I bought my HK 745 "Z" from them over 4 years ago and it's still going strong and they're great to deal with. When I received my 745 the EzSet mic was missing, I let them know and they apologized and sent it out to me immediately. I've bought a few things from them over the years both from their eBay store and directly from harmanaudio.com and they've always been very prompt.

I think as far as the 745 goes, people who ordered the refurbs from harmanaudio had less issues than people who bought new units. I can only explain this in that maybe the QC process was better in the US on the refurbs than the QC process on new units in China. That's only speculation on my part and just from casually following whatever issues people had with the 745 on the internets.

Good luck with your 7550, I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions on it.

~kyle
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page