post #91 of 1612 Old 08-27-2009, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post

Logic 7 is a great post-processing algorithm...
In fact in their new 7550HD Logic 7 has received some very audible upgrade refinements especially for the sound separation and steering.

Bottom line ..
Choose an AVR for its features, performance and value...
If the 635 fills the bill for you..
Keep and enjoy..

Just my $0.015...

Well, it sounds like only the top-o-line 7550 will do any/all L7. Which, in that case, would be the only one I might want. But as it costs a whole lot more than what I paid for the 635, I'm in no hurry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1612 Old 08-27-2009, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks M Code!! I hope I just dont get seducted into upgrading all the remaining audio components.. I am currently running a 5.1 setup w/ HTD Level 3 towers in front and bookshelfs in back. Once the kiddo is a bit older, I may go with additional 2 speakers for a 7.1 once the kiddo is bigger.

ANything is going to be much better than my backup sony, and the rich sound of 745 was even obvious to me and clearly pointed out by my wife (professional musician). I just hope thing thing is solidly build and will last me for many many many years if not a decade or so.
Quote:

You will like the 7550HD..

Greatly improved ID..
Die Cast Door mechanism
New HD OSD & Alpha-Blend GUI
Higher power
Dolby Volume
HD audio decoding
Network
Internet Radio
USB host port
Upgraded EZSet/EQ

Enjoy and post back after setting it up..

Just my $0.015...

post #93 of 1612 Old 08-27-2009, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Those who say their 7550HD's are on the way. Can I ask from where?

Are these only replacements for defective 745's direct from HK?
post #94 of 1612 Old 08-27-2009, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLKstudios View Post

According to my HK info source...
The 7550HDs arrived about a week ago and all pending orders to credit-worthy accounts have been shipped out from Harman's Atlanta warehouse..

Just my $0.015...
post #95 of 1612 Old 08-27-2009, 09:26 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

You will like the 7550HD..

Greatly improved ID..
Die Cast Door mechanism
New HD OSD & Alpha-Blend GUI
Higher power
Dolby Volume
HD audio decoding
Network
Internet Radio
USB host port
Upgraded EZSet/EQ

Enjoy and post back after setting it up..

Just my $0.015...

Speaking of upgraded EZSet/EQ, just the 7550HD has a new version? Have there been changes since the 435 and 635? The 3600 have the same version/implementation as those models?

Thanks again!

I want Ed on DVD/Blu-ray!
post #96 of 1612 Old 08-27-2009, 09:56 PM

Quote:

It is directly from HK in Atlanta.
post #97 of 1612 Old 08-27-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:

Mine is direct from Atlanta 745 replacement after much much pain (9 months waiting, though the HK guys were always helpful). I wansnt even looking for a replacement, but my unit was unfixable and the replacement 745 they sent me after 5 months was defective. They were kind enough to change it to 7550 replacement subsiquently.
post #98 of 1612 Old 08-28-2009, 01:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsandvb View Post

Speaking of upgraded EZSet/EQ, just the 7550HD has a new version? Have there been changes since the 435 and 635? The 3600 have the same version/implementation as those models?

Thanks again!

Yes..
The EZSet/EQ has been upgraded significantly, both for it (2) subwoofers and Near/Far Field measurements. The 1600/2600/3600 have a different version of EzSet/EQ...

Just my $0.015...
post #99 of 1612 Old 08-28-2009, 09:24 AM

I am not an audio phile, but yet the anticipation is killing me. Will the UPS guy come already ? ;-)
post #100 of 1612 Old 08-28-2009, 11:37 PM

Its here, its unwrapped and now being setup with all the wiring. One minor note, the remote is a simple remote and not a harmony equivalent one like the 745. Looks sharp!
post #101 of 1612 Old 08-29-2009, 04:23 AM

Well hurry up.... listen to it and give us a review... don't keep us hanging here!
post #102 of 1612 Old 08-29-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlaloum View Post

Well hurry up.... listen to it and give us a review... don't keep us hanging here!

Finished setting it up @ 3:00am last night, took the opportunity to clean up the wiring.

initial impressions:- (I am not an expert on receivers, so if there is something specific you would like me to test, I would gladly do it and report back)

1) Love the sound, same rich sound as the 745, no complians here at all. Logic 7 appears to be working in all modes Ive tried so far, but I am running it only in 5.1 config. Since I havent heard my 745 in 9 months now, I am unable to nit pick here as I was quite happy with 745 already

2) Love the look. Sleek, and blends in with the rest of AV gear.

3) The new GUI is much much better designed than the OSD. I think this is same as the 3550, and it just works without frustration. It took me only a few minutes to setup all the inputs et all. Claibriation is super easy to do as well.

4) No popping sounds so far.

5) Remote is not a harmony, but since I already have a harmony, no worries. I used the codes from 3550, (7550 is not yet available w/ logitec) and it works

6) Bridge II is easier to use than Bridge I ( i have the orginal). Simpler , more intutue, UI driven

7) Working with HD-A3, PS3 & Wii without any issues

Overall, it gives the impressions of being a much more refined 745 with updated specs. Only dings I may give are:

a) The printed materials and the remotes are not as refiined and slick as you may like for a reference system. But neither matter to me and if it saves them some cost , so be it
b) Shipped in original packing, and got a little manhanded in the process, though the unit is flawless

If there is any interest in photos or any other questions, kindly let me know and I would be happy to do the needful. This forum has helped me out so many times, glad to be able to add some positive value.
post #103 of 1612 Old 08-29-2009, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Congrats asrman. I'm very happy with my 745 and have no immediate plans on replacing it, but if that changes this would be high on my list.

Photos would be great!

~kyle
post #104 of 1612 Old 08-29-2009, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asrman View Post

Finished setting it up @ 3:00am last night, took the opportunity to clean up the wiring.

initial impressions:- (I am not an expert on receivers, so if there is something specific you would like me to test, I would gladly do it and report back)

1) Love the sound, same rich sound as the 745, no complians here at all. Logic 7 appears to be working in all modes Ive tried so far, but I am running it only in 5.1 config. Since I havent heard my 745 in 9 months now, I am unable to nit pick here as I was quite happy with 745 already

2) Love the look. Sleek, and blends in with the rest of AV gear.

3) The new GUI is much much better designed than the OSD. I think this is same as the 3550, and it just works without frustration. It took me only a few minutes to setup all the inputs et all. Claibriation is super easy to do as well.

4) No popping sounds so far.

5) Remote is not a harmony, but since I already have a harmony, no worries. I used the codes from 3550, (7550 is not yet available w/ logitec) and it works

6) Bridge II is easier to use than Bridge I ( i have the orginal). Simpler , more intutue, UI driven

7) Working with HD-A3, PS3 & Wii without any issues

Overall, it gives the impressions of being a much more refined 745 with updated specs. Only dings I may give are:

a) The printed materials and the remotes are not as refiined and slick as you may like for a reference system. But neither matter to me and if it saves them some cost , so be it
b) Shipped in original packing, and got a little manhanded in the process, though the unit is flawless

If there is any interest in photos or any other questions, kindly let me know and I would be happy to do the needful. This forum has helped me out so many times, glad to be able to add some positive value.

You do understand that both the primary remote controls and the Zone II have 2 complete sets of IR codes..
For example..
So one can control discrete inputs for Zone II through the 7550HD front panel sensor..

Regarding the primary IR codes of the 7550HD, they are basically the same as the 3550HD so you can go to the TC30 home page and use that model number for the codes. A couple of kool things for the GUI:
a. The page layout and functions are the same for USB, iPOD, FM Tuner, XM Radio so it is very EZ to use
b. The GUI is an alpha blend so it overlays on top of the video stream so if you are adjusting the Torino controls you can visually see their effects. On the competitive Onkyo, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha AVRs they do not have this capability.

Bottom line..
The features I find the most useful are..
Dolby Volume, works incredibly compared to some of the competitive DSP schemes. Also the DIRECT video mode is significant, what comes in/goes out but note that there is no GUI/OSD when in this mode as the Torino is bypassed entirely.

Make sure to try out the Logic 7 to me it is far superior to DPL2x, better staging, steering and separation. But the feature I prefer is the EzSet/EQ an dual subwoofers, the low frequency are smooth/solid from a wide range of listener positions, no audible peaks/resonances..
It looks like Dr.toole and the Harman team have outdone themselves for the 7550HD...

Just my $0.015...
post #105 of 1612 Old 08-29-2009, 12:12 PM

Yup, I did try Logic 7, in fact set it as default mode for all the inputs. Some snapshots included, more to come when I have more time to take decent photos.

Btw, this got approval from 2 professional piansts already. (my wife and her friend), and here are some of the quotes :-

"This is like being in concert"
"This is giving me goose bumps, im absorbed in the music"
"Worlds aparts from the stop gap sony we had, the base appears to be 'better' than the 745"

One question MCode, If I go for 2 sub setup, is both subs being matched the way to go? The sub I have they dont make anymore (Polk 10'' PSW350). Or goign with unmatched is Ok? Alternatively, having 2 cheaper subs better than 1 decent one? I cannot go to 7.2 setup until the kiddo is a bit bigger and not, "conquering the living room", but subs are something I am thinking of investing into.

Overall, just love it. Now time to go pay some attention to weekend chores.

Snaps:-

[IMG]http://lh3.ggpht.com/_GG8Jzx9VLNI/Spl7Mi1jF_I/AAAAAAAAFCM/MRBbk8RWTqQ/s800/IMG_0277.JPG[/IMGl]

post #106 of 1612 Old 08-29-2009, 12:30 PM

I received the 7550HD yesterday and setup it up. My initial impressions are very good though it will take a little time for me to trust H/K quality again. (After my 745 broke, I went through 6 refubished units all with different issues... don't want to relive those memories)

* The GUI interface is world's apart from the 745 OSD.
* No popping when switching channels on my DVR due to HDMI connectivity.
* The optical jacks seem to be better quality. You had to be extremely careful unplugging them on the 745 or the 'flap' would break off.
* The front door appears to be much more solid than the 745. The 745 were flimsy.
* Hooked it up to my network for MP3 access. I was VERY DISAPPOINTED when the folder selected on the screen was out of sync with what was displayed on the AVR. Then I realized I was testing with Microsoft's Media player which is garbage... setup TwonkyMedia and whew.... it runs great.

I will continue to play with it... so far it sounds awesome.
post #107 of 1612 Old 08-29-2009, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asrman View Post

Yup, I did try Logic 7, in fact set it as default mode for all the inputs. Some snapshots included, more to come when I have more time to take decent photos.

Btw, this got approval from 2 professional piansts already. (my wife and her friend), and here are some of the quotes :-

"This is like being in concert"
"This is giving me goose bumps, im absorbed in the music"
"Worlds aparts from the stop gap sony we had, the base appears to be 'better' than the 745"

One question MCode, If I go for 2 sub setup, is both subs being matched the way to go? The sub I have they dont make anymore (Polk 10'' PSW350). Or goign with unmatched is Ok? Alternatively, having 2 cheaper subs better than 1 decent one? I cannot go to 7.2 setup until the kiddo is a bit bigger and not, "conquering the living room", but subs are something I am thinking of investing into.

Overall, just love it. Now time to go pay some attention to weekend chores.

It is an incredible AVR..
The best ever AVR designed/built by HK.
Besides being the most attractive design..
Even though we sold out our AV install biz 3 years back we still have some contact with the install team. And they told me they had just pulled out a Denon 5808 in a $65K install and replaced it with the 7550HD. I should have recorded all of their comments...
Hmmm...
Maybe they were bribed by HK..

They mentioned that the 7550HD had better dynamics, the EZSet/EQ and dual subwoofers was audibly superior to the Audyssey. But he was most impressed with Dolby Volume and how well it works on compressed streams like the Direct TV SAT tuner when tuning up/down the channels, iPod and Internet Radio.

Regarding the dual subwoofers, the crucial thing is that both subwoofers should be of the same driver size. Set the sub levels @ about 70% and lets EzSet/EQ do its thing. Another good test after getting everything dialed in, unplug 1 subwoofer and hear the difference.

Remember the HK dual subwoofers is very different form the Yamaha dual subwoofers, the HK dual subwoofers each receives a unique DSP derived audio stream that is uniquely different from one another. Whereas the Yamaha way is simply 2 subwoofers connected together with a common signal, this actualy causes additional LF problems rather than solving them. Here is where the brilliance of Dr.Toole's team really shines. If you like reading check out Dr.Toole's book on acoustics, available from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Sound-Reproduc...1575229&sr=1-1

Just my $0.015..
post #108 of 1612 Old 08-29-2009, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Please, please !!!!!, tell me : does it do video passtrhough????????, please say yes!!!!!, where did you buy it and how much . pleaeeeese!!!!
post #109 of 1612 Old 08-29-2009, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

So the new HK's have Dolby Volume but not IIz?
post #110 of 1612 Old 08-29-2009, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llep64 View Post

Please, please !!!!!, tell me : does it do video passtrhough????????, please say yes!!!!!, where did you buy it and how much . pleaeeeese!!!!

You didn't read my previous comments a few steps back..

Yes!!
It has a DIRECT video bypass, whatever comes in, goes out and the the HD video display will handle accordingly. However no OSD/GUI as this generated by the video processor which is totally out of the video path..

Regarding cost & availability, you better goggle AVR7550HD but they have been shipping for about a week.

Just my $0.015..
post #111 of 1612 Old 08-29-2009, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmax2k1 View Post

So the new HK's have Dolby Volume but not IIz?

Correcto..
Dolby Volume is far more important than IIz.
Balances the source's dynamic range while equalizing. It is incredible especially taking a compressed stream, adding dynamics and post-processing to 7.1 with Logic 7..

Very, very impressive..

Just my $0.015...
post #112 of 1612 Old 08-30-2009, 12:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 166
"It is incredible especially taking a compressed stream, adding dynamics"

Dolby Volume expand as well as compress dynamic range? I didn't know that.

Does it also something similar to Audyssey DynamicEQ?

Noah
post #113 of 1612 Old 08-30-2009, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

"It is incredible especially taking a compressed stream, adding dynamics"

Dolby Volume expand as well as compress dynamic range? I didn't know that.

Does it also something similar to Audyssey DynamicEQ?

NOAH...

Dolby Volume balances the dynamics while adding contouring..
Its major advantage over Audyssey Dynamic EQ is that it looks @ each channel for its specs and then makes the approriate adjustment by channel...
On the other hand Audyssey does it by ALL channels together, totally collapsing the soundstage..
Dolby Volume is far more advanced and makes its adjustment for each channel independently..

Keep in mind..
Dolby Volume should not be compared to a hi-bit HD audio stream but what it does for making a compressed stream more listenable and acceptable is incredible!!!..

A good comparison is HOW Logic 7 can take a 2-channel stream, post-process and output a very, acceptable audio-quality multi-channel matrixed 7.1 soundstage..

Just my $0.015..
post #114 of 1612 Old 08-30-2009, 12:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

"Dolby Volume balances the dynamics while adding contouring.."

Sorry, I don't know what balanced dynamics is supposed to mean.

Does the 7550 cut of the first second of CD's like the 635 did?

HK's website is lame - doesn't have the 7550HD

Noah
post #115 of 1612 Old 08-31-2009, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

"Dolby Volume balances the dynamics while adding contouring.."

Sorry, I don't know what balanced dynamics is supposed to mean.

Does the 7550 cut of the first second of CD's like the 635 did?

HK's website is lame - doesn't have the 7550HD

NOAH...
Here is a link to Dolby's site for Dolby Volume..
They can explain better than I can..
http://www.dolby.com/consumer/techno...ume.html<br />

Regarding the cut of the 1st second for a CD..
I think you are talking about the audio DSP bootup time for loading the PCM decoding algorithm..
I have not noticed any such issues with the 7550HD.

Just my $0.015..
post #116 of 1612 Old 08-31-2009, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

B&H has bowed out:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...NNEL_A_V_.html

No Longer Available

J&R http://www.jr.com/product/searchResu...jsp?Ntt=7550hd

Sorry we couldn't find any products that matched 7550hd

Amazon http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?ur...7550hd&x=0&y=0

Your search "harman 7550hd" did not match any products.

Buy.com http://www.buy.com/prod/harman-kardo...211313794.html

Currently Unavailable: This item is currently unavailable from the Manufacturer.

Any other ideas of where to purchase one?
post #117 of 1612 Old 08-31-2009, 09:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

M Code,

"They can explain better than I can.."

Thanks, I looked it up and it sounds very promising.

"Regarding the cut of the 1st second for a CD..
I think you are talking about the audio DSP bootup time for loading the PCM decoding algorithm..
I have not noticed any such issues with the 7550HD."

Yes, I believe that was the cause, glad to hear the 7550 doesn't do it, thanks.

I was pretty much set on the Sherwood R-972 w/Trinnov, but the Dolby Volume and dual sub EQ make the 7550 a contender now.

Is the EQ any different than the 745's, and if so, how?

Noah
post #118 of 1612 Old 09-01-2009, 04:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 483
How does HKs EzSet EQ compare with Audyssey MultEQ XT?

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #119 of 1612 Old 09-01-2009, 04:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 483
[quote=M Code;17089529]
Quote:

On the other hand Audyssey does it by ALL channels together, totally collapsing the soundstage..
Dolby Volume is far more advanced and makes its adjustment for each channel independently..

Can you be more specific in your thoughts on how Dynamic EQ collapses the soundstage when used. I found that when using Dynamic EQ that the soundstage is just as accurate with it on or off. Not sure what you are basing this on.

Quote:

Keep in mind..
Dolby Volume should not be compared to a hi-bit HD audio stream but what it does for making a compressed stream more listenable and acceptable is incredible!!!..

How well does Dolby Volume work when used with DTS/MA and TrueHD? I find that Dynamic EQ works quite well with DTS-MA and TrueHD when I can not have the volume cranked up.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #120 of 1612 Old 09-01-2009, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

NOAH...

Dolby Volume balances the dynamics while adding contouring..
Its major advantage over Audyssey Dynamic EQ is that it looks @ each channel for its specs and then makes the approriate adjustment by channel...

Keep in mind..

A good comparison is HOW Logic 7 can take a 2-channel stream, post-process and output a very, acceptable audio-quality multi-channel matrixed 7.1 soundstage..

Just my $0.015..

Dynamic EQ and Dolby Volume are solving completely different problems.

Dynamic EQ solves the problem of changes in how we perceive the balance of high and low frequencies at different listening levels. When you decide to turn down the volume it makes an adjustment to the frequency response for each channel. As you get back up to reference (0 on the master volume) it does nothing. Furthermore, it also adjusts the surround level as the volume is turned down from 0. That's because our impression of surround envelopment decreases from the back faster than it does from the front.

Now, if you meant Dynamic Volume then you also got that wrong. Unlike Dolby Volume, Dynamic Volume uses a look-ahead buffer in every channel. It estimates the signal level and the perceived loudness (using a set of psychoacoustic rules) in each channel and then makes a determination of whether to reduce the level and how fast to do it. This is a major difference from other methods that break up the signal into 20-40 bands and then apply a traditional compressor in each band. When you do that and there is, say, a loud bang at 100 Hz then the compressor in that band will cut. But, if you look at the frequency response after the cut it has changed! We developed Dynamic Volume with a reverse engineering approach of what humans (professional and student mixers) do to the master fader on a mixing console when asked to keep the level of their mix constrained (e.g. for night listening). We then recorded their actions electronically and correlated to the content in each channel. This gave us a 5+ Terrabyte database that was used as the basis of the generalized model.

Front L and R channels are treated differently from C and differently from surrounds and the frequency response is not randomly changed. Instead, it is tied into the perceptual corrections of Dynamic EQ. All of the corrections are per-channel. But, one of the most important aspects of Dynamic Volume is the decision table about when and how fast to act. A slowly passing train that increases in level has to be treated differently than a sudden gun shot. Fixed response time compressors in each band can't do that...

Chris

Join me for Audyssey Tech Talk on Facebook here.
Follow me @ChrisAudyssey on Twitter here.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page