post #1171 of 1592 Old 01-02-2012, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by dRockHK View Post

These are quotes from this thread within the past year.
M Code, you have the most detailed knowledge of this receiver on the board. I see the two 10,000uf/63v caps on the power supply board. Buried on the 4ch amp board there also appears to be two 15,000uf/63v caps near the preouts. After glancing at the x30 and x45 SMs they look to have the same arrangement (2 10,000uf/63v on supply board for surround amp, 2 15,000uf/63 directly on main/4ch amp board (8200uf/63v and 12000uf/63v for 4xx))

Does this mean the 7550 also had a "dual secondary" type supply like it's predecessors?

Yes..

Quote:

With the 7550 having the same secondary capacitance as the 745 but with the larger power supply, the 7550 should not only have a very slightly higher all-channels-driven spec but legitimately net a marginally higher HCC current spec (similar to comparing the 745 to the 645), no? What is your opinion?

Yes..
The current spec should be slightly higher but as mentioned previously, we have found many errors in previous spec releases of the 7550HD. The 7550HD does utilize a larger power transformer than the 745, and its power supply voltage capability is about 15% higher than the 745...

Just my $0.02..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1592 Old 01-04-2012, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks M Code! So our 7550s are even better than we thought they were
It's unfortunate the 7550 was released amidst all the internal change-ups at Harman/H/K, really is a great AVR that was lost in the shuffle, so to speak. (Lack of accurate info (published or provided to HCG support), no review samples provided to any magazines, etc.)
post #1173 of 1592 Old 01-04-2012, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Higher voltage? Hmm no wonder my speakers were humming so badly with this receiver.
post #1174 of 1592 Old 01-04-2012, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrallite View Post

Higher voltage? Hmm no wonder my speakers were humming so badly with this receiver.

Something is wrong either with the AVR, cabling or your system setup..
My 7550HD is very quiet even when the volume level is @ 0dB and my (2) subwoofers are rockin......

Just my $0.02...
post #1175 of 1592 Old 01-04-2012, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post

My 7550HD is very quiet even when the volume level is @ 0dB and my (2) subwoofers are rockin......

Just my $0.02...

Nope...had 2 of them...both hummed...I probably have a ground loop and the higher voltage is causing a bigger ripple. But with my new RX-A3000 is dead quiet. Probably smaller amp, lower voltage so less ripple in the AC line.

I have 7 receivers in the house, all different models, makes it easy to diagnose issues
post #1176 of 1592 Old 01-04-2012, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:

Just my $0.02...

Mine is the same way. Quiet, powerful, and is performing like one should at this time. Excellent AVR IMO, the best I've used in a long time.
post #1177 of 1592 Old 01-04-2012, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nope...had 2 of them...both hummed...I probably have a ground loop and the higher voltage is causing a bigger ripple. But with my new RX-A3000 is dead quiet. Probably smaller amp, lower voltage so less ripple in the AC line.

I have 7 receivers in the house, all different models, makes it easy to diagnose issues

Hmmm..
Can't really diagnose from my remote desert location...
But I would tend to think that some of your sensitive audio cables are running near or adjacent to the 7550HD's power supply....

Just my $0.02...
post #1178 of 1592 Old 01-04-2012, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Actually got the hum with nothing connected to the receiver except the speakers...in fact in a room with no other electronics...I did try two pairs of speakers with different wires so I don't think that was it...

I still believe the higher gain is the issue...the receiver is a lot louder than any of the receivers I own at the same db value...At -40 it's like -20 with all my other receivers...not saying that's conclusive proof :P
post #1179 of 1592 Old 01-04-2012, 06:31 PM

Liked: 10
I have recently purchased this unit (refurbished) and love the sound. But when using HDMI out to my Sony SXRD (2005 model) it simply will not give me a picture. Using HDMI was my major motivation as this replaces my avr 435. I followed the directions and tried unhooking and rehooking cables in order and changing resolution and even resetting. to no avail. I thought maybe I might have a handshake issue. I have recieved a repair order from HK as I have a nearby certified repair shop for HK. I though maybe someone may have some other ideas.
post #1180 of 1592 Old 01-05-2012, 03:26 PM

While it is possible there is problem with the refurb 7550, there is likely an HDCP issue causing the blank picture on your older HD set.
You mentioned changing the resolution - did you try 480i?
Have you tried another HDMI cable?
Have you tried using the 7550s component output just to test?
Do you have another HDMI or DVI-D (HDCP compliant) equipped display (even a monitor) available just to test?

Quote:

I still believe the higher gain is the issue...the receiver is a lot louder than any of the receivers I own at the same db value...At -40 it's like -20 with all my other receivers...not saying that's conclusive proof :P

Was that w/, w/o, or regardless of EQ setting? I've noticed the same - until I turn the EQ off. Then the volume level is 'normal' lol. Turn the EQ back on and it is like an instant 15db boost! Been discussed a lot in this thread, guess it's just a weird software hiccup.
post #1181 of 1592 Old 01-05-2012, 05:39 PM

I tried what you recommended and going thru component I can see the menu. I tried 480p again and no luck thru the HDMI. What are the chances just the HDMI video portion is defective? I have really wanted this this AVR since it came out but the HDMI issue is a deal breaker as my TV only has 2 HDMI connections. Love the sound though and would love to hear the dts hd mode through it. I will hook up my computer monitor to it later to see if that will work. Thanks for your suggestions.
post #1182 of 1592 Old 01-05-2012, 08:04 PM

When I think about it I tried this SXRD 60" upstairs initially with my Integra 70.1 and had no handshake issues. I have had no issues with direct hookup to the TV from Direct TV, PS3 when using the AVR435 and yet my new HK cant not carry HDMI signals through it.
How would the reciever alter the signal so that the TV cannot read it? I believe my Integra might be about the same age if not slightly older.
post #1183 of 1592 Old 01-06-2012, 02:55 AM

#4 installed and all is well at this point. I had video problems with all 3 previous units so to avoid that I used HDMI cables from the source to the TV and optical cables from the source to the 7550. My tv is an HDTV and has 4 HDMI inputs so that was not a problem for me as I only have a Blu-Ray dvd and a HD cable box used with this unit. I also turned off the Vierra ARC portion of the tv[new Panasonic] and all works fine. No hum---no fan noise. Just a guess but I suspect the video portion has handshake problems with the newer tv developments. These 7550 units are older developmentally so maybe they have problems interfacing with the newer tv's. But the audio is superb!!
Looked like a new unit with the updated version.
I had a loud hum in my speakers a couple years ago and found when an electrician installed some new wire he did not get the ground hooked up right. Once that was corrected there was no problem.
post #1184 of 1592 Old 01-06-2012, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jteep View Post

#4 installed and all is well at this point. I had video problems with all 3 previous units so to avoid that I used HDMI cables from the source to the TV and optical cables from the source to the 7550. My tv is an HDTV and has 4 HDMI inputs so that was not a problem for me as I only have a Blu-Ray dvd and a HD cable box used with this unit. I also turned off the Vierra ARC portion of the tv[new Panasonic] and all works fine. No hum---no fan noise. Just a guess but I suspect the video portion has handshake problems with the newer tv developments. These 7550 units are older developmentally so maybe they have problems interfacing with the newer tv's. But the audio is superb!!
I had a loud hum in my speakers a couple years ago and found when an electrician installed some new wire he did not get the ground hooked up right. Once that was corrected there was no problem.

Use hdmi or 7.1 analog just at least for the bluray if you want to get lossless audio present in most bluray movie. Optical limits you to the lossy audio. The way you are using it you could have just bought a used receiver that used to be high end from several years ago but lacks hdmi.
post #1185 of 1592 Old 01-06-2012, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There should not be a handshake problem of any kind. Check the firmware version on that 7550. It's at least 1.3 and probably HDMI 1.4. Firmware version IIRC is 4.23 for 1.4. I got a new one and its version was already 1.4. January 2010 build date. Either versions HDMI should work with that display.
post #1186 of 1592 Old 01-06-2012, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

JTeep, did you have this insert with your "new" 7550HD? If so follow directions closely and see if it helps. If not I copied and pasted the quick start guide for the 7550 and 3d setup. Good luck.

http://www.harmankardon.com/resource...%20Sources.pdf
post #1187 of 1592 Old 01-07-2012, 01:32 AM

I am guessing but I think the cable box causes a problem when switching from a HD channel to regular tv.
This is an updated unit with the latest version 4.43 installed and a Jan 2010 build date.
Will try to set up with HDMI only.
Thanks for the help----------------
post #1188 of 1592 Old 01-07-2012, 05:25 AM

Quote:

I am guessing but I think the cable box causes a problem when switching from a HD channel to regular tv.
This is an updated unit with the latest version 4.43 installed and a Jan 2010 build date.

I had the same problem with a 354 and a 3600. I researched my cable box and found out how to have the cable box (Scientific Atlanta) output in 1081i for both HD and SD chanels at all times and solved my problem.

Talon884
Sarasota, FL

"I find your lack of faith ... disturbing."
post #1189 of 1592 Old 01-07-2012, 11:22 PM

Quote:

If you still have issues with HDMI even with box set to 1080i only; another option is to use the receiver's HDMI output to display and connect all other sources via HDMI, but use component cables+digi coax or optical for the cable box (which will be limited to 1080i and 'lossy' audio even with HDMI).
The receiver will transcode and upscale (if desired) the component inputs to the HDMI output. As with the HDMI inputs you can tweak the video processing or have the extra enhancements off (cannot be turned off entirely, of course)
This leaves only one connection to the TV, using the receiver to switch sources, allowing full 7.1 lossless streams from the HDMI sources, and keeping the AVR's GUI/overlays.

This is how I have my system configured. I have two comcast DVRs (moto dcx3400s), one connected to the 7550 and another connected to a AVR254. Both had issues connected directly to the HKs using HDMI (most often, no picture on start up or intermittent picture/flicker for ~15 seconds) despite being set to 1080i only. I don't blame the HKs as the boxes are quirky even with a direct HDMI connection to the set.
Using the component connection from box->receiver, boxes still set for 1080i output only and receiver configured for 1080p output, performance is flawless every time. I did not notice any real loss of picture quality, using decent quality component cables.
post #1190 of 1592 Old 01-08-2012, 05:38 AM

It appears the 7550 and the Blu-Ray player function excellently when connected via HDMI cables. Audio and video are great. So I am going to leave that be. However the cable box video and the 7550 seem to have video connection problems. I am by-passing the video straight thru but still have an intermittent problem. Wonder why as there should not be a problem. I had no video problem with a HDMI cable direct to the tv and an optical cable direct from the cable box to the 7550 . I could not discern any difference in the audio when using an HDMT cable or an optical cable from the Cable box. Since both are digital I suspect compression or lack of has little to no impact in this utilization.
In my opinion the cable box is the video culprit when using an HDMI cable, so back to a HDMI cable direct to the tv and an optical cable to the 7550 for the audio. That seems to work well.
The audio reproduction through the 7550 is outstanding.
Thanks for the help.
Jim
post #1191 of 1592 Old 01-08-2012, 04:37 PM

I'm just now sending off my 7550 for the firmware upgrade. Was there anything else "fixed" with the firmware upgrade other then adding the HDMI 1.4 3D capability?

Thanks!
post #1192 of 1592 Old 01-08-2012, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHT View Post

I'm just now sending off my 7550 for the firmware upgrade. Was there anything else "fixed" with the firmware upgrade other then adding the HDMI 1.4 3D capability?

Thanks!

Can't u do the firmware upgrade yourself.
post #1193 of 1592 Old 01-08-2012, 08:01 PM

Is the HK AVR7550HD as good match for JBL LS series?
post #1194 of 1592 Old 01-08-2012, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I could not discern any difference in the audio when using an HDMT cable or an optical cable from the Cable box. Since both are digital I suspect compression or lack of has little to no impact in this utilization.

Just to clarify and as bommai already mentioned, the optical cable will only pass legacy (lossy) codecs, it cannot and will not pass any HD audio codecs at all. Whether you can discern a difference or not in your system and with your hearing is another matter.

~kyle
post #1195 of 1592 Old 01-08-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:

Thanks!

There were some other tweaks. M Code provided this info a while back in this thread;
Quote:

What many people don't know is that the 7550HD actually used some of the key components from the Lexicon RV8..
The S/W update to HDMI 1.4 included several other tweaks..
a. (2) Subwoofers LFE settings were refined
b. Video enhancement modes of NR and edge correction were improved
c. Improved the robustness for the DLNA network connections when used with the later Windows OSs' of XP Pro-64, Vista and 7
d. Revised the OSD screens when in the Internet Radio mode
e. Validated better interoperability with certain source components that had marginal HDCP issues especially for boot-up sequences

Just my $0.02..

post #1196 of 1592 Old 01-08-2012, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post

Can't u do the firmware upgrade yourself.

Not for this particular upgrade at least. It has to be done by HK directly I guess. Must involve some sort of hardware fix.
post #1197 of 1592 Old 01-08-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRockHK View Post

There were some other tweaks. M Code provided this info a while back in this thread;

Perfect - thanks - and I even searched this thread before posting!
post #1198 of 1592 Old 01-09-2012, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not for this particular upgrade at least. It has to be done by HK directly I guess. Must involve some sort of hardware fix.

I would contact H/K if you have not already. IIRC this firmware update was available for a USB update. H/K may have to e-mail the revision now.
post #1199 of 1592 Old 01-09-2012, 09:13 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemitchell View Post

Just to clarify and as bommai already mentioned, the optical cable will only pass legacy (lossy) codecs, it cannot and will not pass any HD audio codecs at all. Whether you can discern a difference or not in your system and with your hearing is another matter.

Since no cable boxes or cable broadcast actually utilise HD codecs, there is no difference in audio connection in Jteep's case. Also, they are not legacy codecs if they are still actively in use, and are the most advanced available on a particular format.
post #1200 of 1592 Old 01-09-2012, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seonds View Post

Since no cable boxes or cable broadcast actually utilise HD codecs, there is no difference in audio connection in Jteep's case. Also, they are not legacy codecs if they are still actively in use, and are the most advanced available on a particular format.

You're correct. I misread and thought he was still talking about his bluray connection. I think most would consider DD and DTS to be legacy codecs when concerning blurays.

~kyle
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page