Harman Kardon AVR 7550HD (2008 announcement) - Page 46 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1351 of 1616 Old 04-22-2012, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The last 2 days my unit has been acting strange. Sometimes it will not respond to remote control actions but the remote controls 2 BD players just fine. I put in new batteries. Once the unit would not turn off with remote and when I physically pressed the on/off front panel button it did not turn off. I Had to unplug the unit. While playing 2 different DVD movies I got occasional disappearing picture on the HDTV, with HDTV saying "no source" from 2 different BD players.

Click For My Website - www.E55AMG.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 1616 Old 04-22-2012, 08:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E55 KEV View Post

The last 2 days my unit has been acting strange. Sometimes it will not respond to remote control actions but the remote controls 2 BD players just fine. I put in new batteries. Once the unit would not turn off with remote and when I physically pressed the on/off front panel button it did not turn off. I Had to unplug the unit. While playing 2 different DVD movies I got occasional disappearing picture on the HDTV, with HDTV saying "no source" from 2 different BD players.

I think my HDMI output is going bad. I can't always get the On Screen Display to come up. My AVR sometimes puts this message on the screen:

"Copy Protected Digital Input

This input contect is copy protected. To view this content, please use the HDMI connection to your display."

I'm only using HDMI.

I can't change the "Resolution to Display" or "Resolution from Source" above 1080i-60Hz" and HDMI Bypass is greyed out.

post #1353 of 1616 Old 04-23-2012, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I experienced a similar problem with my original unit last year.
When the "HDMI Board" fails or is failing you will also lose the ability to control the AVR via the IR remote (almost all functions) as well as most of the front panel buttons, besides losing functionality of the HDMI inputs/outputs. In my case, the standby/power button still functioned, as did volume and the source buttons only using the remote. Navigation controls would only work on tuner/usb/bridge sources.
Leading up to the failure, I also would occasionally experience the copy protect message, a green or pink version of the source content on screen, or no signal from source message on the display itself. Eventually complete HDMI failure and loss of control.

Start simple with a processor reset and inspecting/changing the HDMI cables, however a replacement/exchange may be required. I assume your unit is still under warranty, the exchange process is quick and simple though of course still a hassle swapping out AVRs

Also, just to be clear (though I'm sure you know) the Resolution from source is not user-selectable and is simply displaying the current resolution of the source material. If you are currently using a component or other analog video input, with the receiver transcoding and/or upscaling to HDMI output the HDMI bypass box will be shaded out. The Resolution to display can be changed, though options that exceed the capability of your display cannot be selected.
post #1354 of 1616 Old 04-23-2012, 01:39 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

I think my HDMI output is going bad. I can't always get the On Screen Display to come up. My AVR sometimes puts this message on the screen:

"Copy Protected Digital Input

This input contect is copy protected. To view this content, please use the HDMI connection to your display."

I'm only using HDMI.

I can't change the "Resolution to Display" or "Resolution from Source" above 1080i-60Hz" and HDMI Bypass is greyed out.

I had this problem happen out of the blue too - Turned out all I had to do was unplug EVERYTHING from the wall for a few minutes and all was well again. (Started doing the above after a power outage)

Talon884
Sarasota, FL

"I find your lack of faith ... disturbing."
post #1355 of 1616 Old 04-23-2012, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRockHK View Post

I experienced a similar problem with my original unit last year.
When the "HDMI Board" fails or is failing you will also lose the ability to control the AVR via the IR remote (almost all functions) as well as most of the front panel buttons, besides losing functionality of the HDMI inputs/outputs. In my case, the standby/power button still functioned, as did volume and the source buttons only using the remote. Navigation controls would only work on tuner/usb/bridge sources.
Leading up to the failure, I also would occasionally experience the copy protect message, a green or pink version of the source content on screen, or no signal from source message on the display itself. Eventually complete HDMI failure and loss of control.

Start simple with a processor reset and inspecting/changing the HDMI cables, however a replacement/exchange may be required. I assume your unit is still under warranty, the exchange process is quick and simple though of course still a hassle swapping out AVRs

Also, just to be clear (though I'm sure you know) the Resolution from source is not user-selectable and is simply displaying the current resolution of the source material. If you are currently using a component or other analog video input, with the receiver transcoding and/or upscaling to HDMI output the HDMI bypass box will be shaded out. The Resolution to display can be changed, though options that exceed the capability of your display cannot be selected.

Thanks. Just my luck - seems like I can't get more than a years usage out of a AVR using Blu-ray. Previous Onkyo 606 lasted about a year. My AVR should be putting out 1080p-24p like I have 2 BD players set to. My HDTV is 1080p 120hz so it appears the HDMI failure is limiting to 1080i -60Hz. When I plug a BD player direct to HDTV I get 1080p - 24hz.

I also got the yellow and green video picture to HDTV. I will try a full reset today. It's still under warranty. When returning to HK for repair/exchange I assume we have to pay for shipping to them?

post #1356 of 1616 Old 04-23-2012, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon884 View Post

I had this problem happen out of the blue too - Turned out all I had to do was unplug EVERYTHING from the wall for a few minutes and all was well again. (Started doing the above after a power outage)

Thanks. I will try again before calling it in for service.

post #1357 of 1616 Old 04-24-2012, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHT View Post

I'm sure you thought of this but did you try a hard factory reset?

I'd be tempted to cut my losses - sadly.....

I've narrowed it down to the loss of sound only occuring when the receiver is started up and immediately switched to a network connection. For whatever reason it seems fine if it is started up already on the network connection, or if switching after several seconds/minutes. I'll have to experiment further, but perhaps just putting in a 3-5 second delay into my Harmony remote programming may resolve the issue.

As for cutting losses, I've already put it out there that if they do not intend to offer any financial compensation, then they can issue an RMA and full refund - this fiasco has been dragging on for over two months and I'm fed up. I'd gladly go back to my 335 and keep an eye open for a used 7550 for $400+ cheaper than what I paid.

That being said, I think I'm basically screwed as the vendor appears to be completely washing his hands of the whole situation. He said he would call two weeks ago but I haven't heard from him and he is no longer responding to inquiries. Sadly it appears the only way I would get somewhere with this is through legal action, although it's pretty complicated since the vendor (in BC) shipped the unit directly to JAM (in Montreal), then JAM stole/lost it and sent me a refurb (in Ontario) as a replacement. The kicker is the vendor STILL hasn't issued me a receipt and it's been over two months. I've asked at least a dozen times. I wonder if my CC company would do anything for me in such a situation.

This is like buying a Corvette off the showroom floor and asking them to do an oil change before you take it home, then an hour later they hand you the keys to someone elses Corvette with 50K miles on it and a replacement motor and hoping you don't notice ("our mechanic really liked your car so he took it home for himself"). Am I out of line to think this is fraud? I don't know how else to describe it...

It's amazing what "customer service" has become in this day and age...
post #1358 of 1616 Old 04-25-2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:

Thanks. Just my luck - seems like I can't get more than a years usage out of a AVR using Blu-ray. Previous Onkyo 606 lasted about a year. My AVR should be putting out 1080p-24p like I have 2 BD players set to. My HDTV is 1080p 120hz so it appears the HDMI failure is limiting to 1080i -60Hz. When I plug a BD player direct to HDTV I get 1080p - 24hz.

I also got the yellow and green video picture to HDTV. I will try a full reset today. It's still under warranty. When returning to HK for repair/exchange I assume we have to pay for shipping to them?

Unfortunately I think we share the same ill fortune
My unit locked up this evening with similar symptoms (unresponsive and/or very sluggish control requiring unplug), HDMI output cutting off. Several disconnect cycles and processor resets later, it looks like it will be exchange time once again. Ugh.

I have yet to make it a full year with a 7550 before experiencing some type of crippling, out of the blue failure. Several posters in this thread are still using their original first-run production units without issue, though. Hopefully the third time is the charm!

BTW - I never experienced a yellow picture with mine, though I have experienced the green or pink washed picture several times with both units. Occasionally it was the source device only, but typically the AVR itself (source content and overlays affected)
post #1359 of 1616 Old 05-04-2012, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

..., it looks like it will be exchange time once again. Ugh.

Anyone contact HK about a 7550 repair/exchange lately? I did this week and I was given a non exchange route. My email:

"Hello Kevin,

Please follow the address provided below and use the Service Center link in the middle of the page on the left. Select out of warranty status to see the list of recommended service centers in your area.

http://www.harmankardon.com/EN-US/Pr...PID=AVR+7550HD

Once you choose the service center you want to use, please respond with your choice and I will issue a service authorization to allow the service center to repair your AVR 7550HD under warranty.

Regards,

KEN
Technical Support
Harman International
Lifestyle Division"

My nearest HK service center is in Baltimore, 50 miles away.

post #1360 of 1616 Old 05-05-2012, 10:51 AM

My refurb exchange unit is en-route, and they have plenty more in stock.

They are under the impression your unit is out of warranty. What was the purchase date? Was it from an authorized retailer? And do you have copy of the original receipt?

Provided you are in fact within the 2 year warranty period, use this link below to sort out your warranty exchange. Fill out all forms and upload a copy of your receipt;
http://www.harmankardon.com/en-us/Su...urnCenter.aspx
post #1361 of 1616 Old 05-05-2012, 10:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

They are under the impression your unit is out of warranty. What was the purchase date? Was it from an authorized retailer? And do you have copy of the original receipt?

Provided you are in fact within the 2 year warranty period, use this link below to sort out your warranty exchange. Fill out all forms and upload a copy of your receipt;

I am surprised I was not offered an exchange as my unit is still under warranty and less than 1 year old. I sent/uploaded my 6AVE.com sales receipt on the HK website. HK has authorized the repair.

post #1362 of 1616 Old 05-06-2012, 12:09 AM

Sorry, I completely missed that the repair was going to be covered by Harman under warranty in your first post.

I'd use the link above to arrange an exchange instead, or just email the customer support rep back requesting exchange. In my experience, the exchange process takes just a week to/from our area.
Sending your unit out for repair will take much longer and seems like a major hassle. I suppose the only benefit to the repair route is that you will get YOUR new unit back rather than a mystery refurb.
post #1363 of 1616 Old 05-06-2012, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sorry, I completely missed that the repair was going to be covered by Harman under warranty in your first post.

I'd use the link above to arrange an exchange instead, or just email the customer support rep back requesting exchange. In my experience, the exchange process takes just a week to/from our area.
Sending your unit out for repair will take much longer and seems like a major hassle. I suppose the only benefit to the repair route is that you will get YOUR new unit back rather than a mystery refurb.

I dropped the AVR at authorized service center yesterday. Being 50 miles away the total miles driven for repair will be 200 total. So I'll be spending about $40 in gas. The service center asked me if I wanted them to ship it back to me but I don't know if that cost was on me or HK. I do prefer to get my unit back versus the "mystery refurb".

post #1364 of 1616 Old 05-07-2012, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I emailed them about the warranty exchange and got this reply:

"Hello Kevin,

We no longer have new A stock AVR 7550HD's. We can process a replacement for a refurbished unit or issue an authorization for a service center to do the repair. Since you specifically asked for a warranty repair that is what was provided. I can process an RA if you prefer an exchange.

Regards,

Ken
Technical Support
Harman International
Lifestyle Division"

post #1365 of 1616 Old 05-13-2012, 10:35 PM

Anyone have this issue with their 7550? I get a picture like this when viewing a 1080 source. When I set the HDMI bypass everything is good. It happened all of a sudden when I was using it about a week ago.

Now I'm not sure if I can find a copy of my receipt from 6ave :-0.
LL
post #1366 of 1616 Old 05-15-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff8928 View Post

Anyone have this issue with their 7550? I get a picture like this when viewing a 1080 source. When I set the HDMI bypass everything is good. It happened all of a sudden when I was using it about a week ago.

Now I'm not sure if I can find a copy of my receipt from 6ave :-0.

Something similar happened to me on my old 745 and it turned out to be a loose or faulty HDMI cable. New HDMI cable solved the problem. Might want to check that first
post #1367 of 1616 Old 05-18-2012, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:

I emailed them about the warranty exchange and got this reply:

"Hello Kevin,

We no longer have new A stock AVR 7550HD's. We can process a replacement for a refurbished unit or issue an authorization for a service center to do the repair. Since you specifically asked for a warranty repair that is what was provided. I can process an RA if you prefer an exchange.

Regards,

Ken
Technical Support
Harman International
Lifestyle Division"

The refurbs from HK are hit or miss. I sent in my mint one for the HDMI 1.4 update and got back a scratched up unit. I did complain and spoke with level 5 support and they did end up sending a mint refurbed unit. I couldn't believe the condition of the first unit and it passing QC.
post #1368 of 1616 Old 06-04-2012, 09:47 PM

Howdy 7550hd folks,
Anybody out there running a Logitech Squeezebox Touch through their 7550hd? Just wondering about any experiences with RCA analog (using the SBT's DAC) vs coax/optical connection (using the HK DAC) with the SBT. I've got a SBT on order to stream digital music content & Internet radio. My experience with the 7550's DLNA & inet radio is lackluster at best. However, I love my 7550hd in *all* other areas, totally rocks. Thanks in advance!
post #1369 of 1616 Old 06-07-2012, 12:57 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Do any of you guys know how the memory settings are stored in the AVR7550HD, does it uses a battery like the Bios on a PC. I am asking because I had two power outage and my settings were erased. And I wonder if a battery swap might be the fix.

post #1370 of 1616 Old 06-07-2012, 08:18 AM

My unit has lost its memory about three times. Its seems its not just a power outage that's the trigger with ours as we have many out here. Doesn't seem to be length of the outage either as it will go through the real long ones with its settings still saved. Just random amp alzheimers. I hate having to redo the EQ when it wipes. Surge ??
post #1371 of 1616 Old 06-07-2012, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Something is definitely wrong...
My 7550HD is from the 1st run in April, 2009 and holds the memory fine. Note that there is no battery inside.

Just my $0.02.. wink.gif
post #1372 of 1616 Old 06-08-2012, 12:46 AM

Thanks for the info on the stored memories.
I have had outages before and the memory has not been lost. I can live with it; I just thought there was a quick fix. En less it becomes a constant thing I think is not worth sending the unit in for warranty.

post #1373 of 1616 Old 06-08-2012, 12:45 PM

Liked: 15
Does anyone know of a workaround to get the receiver to EQ the speakers but not the sub?

I've tried disconnecting the subs during the calibration, but upon reconnecting them, there won't be any sub output.
post #1374 of 1616 Old 06-08-2012, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riv359 View Post

Do any of you guys know how the memory settings are stored in the AVR7550HD, does it uses a battery like the Bios on a PC. I am asking because I had two power outage and my settings were erased. And I wonder if a battery swap might be the fix.
In my experience with three 7550s, if the power is cut and is then *quickly*/instantly restored all the settings will be wiped. They can be left unplugged for weeks without losing anything, just the quick power cycling that has caused memory resets for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash676 View Post

Does anyone know of a workaround to get the receiver to EQ the speakers but not the sub?
I've tried disconnecting the subs during the calibration, but upon reconnecting them, there won't be any sub output.
You are on the right track, you need to manually turn the subwoofers back on in the speaker setup/number of speakers menu for that saved listening position after running the EQ with subs off or disconnected. You can then set your desired front speaker crossover as EZSet/EQII will have set the fronts to "Large"/full range if no subs were detected

Are you having issues with EZset/EQII's subwoofer calibration? Weak bass output perhaps?
Several of us experienced weak bass output after running the EQ. Changing the placement of the subs then running EQ again solved the problem for me, though this could only be temporary as the new locations were not practical.
My most recent calibration is the best yet. Subs in their normal positions, manually set the speaker crossovers, but I did NOT move the mic to left and right for the sub calibration steps. I kept it dead center in the "sweet spot" for the entire EQ (except for near field tests) I finally have solid, powerful bass output with the EQ on. Previously I would often end up turning EQ off during movies as it was just killing the bass.

EZSet/EQII uses the left and right test positions for smoother, more even bass response from all listening positions rather than a single 'sweet spot'
...but, I honestly don't care if the bass response isn't perfect to my left and right, I want it to sound great where I sit biggrin.gif
post #1375 of 1616 Old 06-09-2012, 12:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by dRockHK View Post

You are on the right track, you need to manually turn the subwoofers back on in the speaker setup/number of speakers menu for that saved listening position after running the EQ with subs off or disconnected. You can then set your desired front speaker crossover as EZSet/EQII will have set the fronts to "Large"/full range if no subs were detected
Are you having issues with EZset/EQII's subwoofer calibration? Weak bass output perhaps?
Several of us experienced weak bass output after running the EQ. Changing the placement of the subs then running EQ again solved the problem for me, though this could only be temporary as the new locations were not practical.
My most recent calibration is the best yet. Subs in their normal positions, manually set the speaker crossovers, but I did NOT move the mic to left and right for the sub calibration steps. I kept it dead center in the "sweet spot" for the entire EQ (except for near field tests) I finally have solid, powerful bass output with the EQ on. Previously I would often end up turning EQ off during movies as it was just killing the bass.
EZSet/EQII uses the left and right test positions for smoother, more even bass response from all listening positions rather than a single 'sweet spot'
...but, I honestly don't care if the bass response isn't perfect to my left and right, I want it to sound great where I sit biggrin.gif

Try and use whatever works/sounds best for you..
However during the software development and evaluation testing of its (2) subwoofer @ HK/JBL, the basic idea of Dr.Toole's/Olive's team was to EQ and respective room position/acoustics for each subwoofer independently..
Then have the dual DSPs merge/blend the LF energy into a smooth/balanced response regardless of listener position. If one has different listening position and/or preferences for EQ then use the presets.

Just my $0.02... wink.gif
post #1376 of 1616 Old 06-14-2012, 08:54 PM

As a follow up to the story below, I'm basically screwed and I just wanted to post this as a warning to others. I purchased my 7550 from Randy Kurney who sent it directly to JAM Industries (Erikson Consumer) for a simple firmware upgrade. What followed was an absolute disgrace to all parties involved. This was to be a B1 unit, which was described as being out of the box once for a quick demo (Randy worked directly for JAM/Erikson as a marketing rep). As described in the attached document provided by Randy, a B1 unit is defined as new in all ways; box, packaging, etc. ....even down to still having the film on the face and no fingerprints. Given the described condition, I was comfortable paying a hefty premium for what was basically a brand new unit with the full 2yr warranty.

See the attached images for the first unit I received. The box was in terrible shape and there was virtually no packaging; a 60lbs receiver left to flop around in the box. The receiver itself was in very poor cosmetic condition, so much that I didn’t even bother to plug it in to test it out. There was a large dent/scratch on the lower door (touched up with a marker!), several scuffs on the top side, several scratches and the black lens/face was also partially broken away from the main body. I contacted Randy and he stated this was NOT the unit I had purchased. JAM offered no explanation, however they did offer a replacement. I made it very clear that if they could not locate the true B1 unit I bought, that I wanted an absolutely perfect B1 as replacement and a refurbished unit was out of the question (I’d take a refund instead as I could purchase a used or refurbished receiver for MUCH less than I paid).

Pictures were provided of the second unit prior to shipment, albeit poor quality and from far away. One thing I noticed is the face was covered in smudges and fingerprints, however I was assured there were no marks. JAM promised to double box, but they of course did not; in fact, the factory box had one of the bottom flaps broken open and the UPS guy left it on its side on our front doorstep. My wife intentionally stayed home to accept the package and he didn’t even knock, likely to avoid a refusal to accept given the condition of the box. We live on a busy road with a lot of foot traffic so it’s a good thing it didn’t go missing. When I opened the box, I saw it had most of the factory packaging, which was a good start. The box was beat up and the Styrofoam bumpers were broken, but that was the least of my worries if the unit itself was good. I unwrap everything and wipe it down, only to find there is about a 2” square area in the upper left corner that is scuffed from the Styrofoam bumpers (due to no protective film). I wanted to send it back right away but decided to try to polish the scuffs out with some plastic polish I had on hand, as again this would again be the least of my worries considering the “service” I was receiving thus far. Thankfully the scuffs came out so I carried on with setting up the unit. I later notice what I thought was a packing slip on the box... well it turned out to be a repair work order from November for this very unit. After all this, I ended up with a refurbished unit. So I paid a huge premium for a new/B1 unit and end up with a damaged/repaired/refurbished unit as a replacement, even thought I specifically told them this was unacceptable beforehand.

The unit performed fine, so I was willing to accept it, but obviously would be looking for a partial refund from either Randy or JAM. It’s of course a bit complicated since I bought the unit from Randy, however it seemed to be JAM that “lost” my original unit and replaced it with a less than par unit (twice). It naturally became a “he said, she said” game and neither party will accept responsibility for anything. In fact, while Randy indicated I would also have a full 2yr warranty, the Erikson Canadian national sales manager informed me that since Randy is no longer an employee of Erikson, I had no warranty whatsoever... nice (funny how they took it in for the firmware upgrade though). He also claims the original unit that was sent to me was indeed the unit Randy sent them – I asked him for the serial number to confirm but he stated that they do not track serial numbers. I have a hard time believing this, but who knows, they seem like a pretty mickey mouse operation. Backing up a bit, Randy never did provide a receipt for this transaction despite being asked dozens of times – it’s pretty clear now that this was intentional as he knew darn well the warranty would not be valid and he didn’t want a paper trail. He also tried to get me to pay via Western Union in the beginning, however I insisted on credit card for a couple reasons; accumulating points and some piece of mind with protection. He has not replied once since the second unit arrived, which leads me to believe he may be more at fault here than I originally thought.

My last hope was going after Randy through my credit card company so I mailed them a very detailed letter/package explaining the situation. They mailed me a letter back stating that I needed to reply back by a date that was a week prior to me even getting the letter. They requested three things from me: 1) a receipt (I already informed them the vendor refuses to supply one), 2) a detailed letter explaining the situation (already provided this with my first submission) and 3) a letter from another vendor stating that what I received is not what I paid for. While I could re-explain #1 and provide further detail for #2, I knew right away that there was no chance of anyone “getting involved” and writing/signing a letter of this nature, but I asked a couple places anyways (including the Erikson sales manager) and of course people agree verbally that I got ripped off, but nobody wants to put anything on paper.

As a side note, the Erikson sales manager stated on the phone that he would give me a full 2yr warranty on my unit (in an effort to resolve as best he could) and that all I had to do was send him the serial number. It has been over a month now and this hasn’t happened yet, but he does usually respond when I inquire so I trust he will eventually come through on his word; I will update this story if/when that happens. Sad part is, I don’t think I’d ever want to send anything to JAM for repair anyways.

Long story short, if at all possible, I would advise that people avoid:
Randy Kurney and the various companies he represents (Power One, Absolute Sound etc. see LinkedIn Profile)
JAM Industries/Erikson Consumer (and therefore Harman Kardon within Canada by default)

This whole mess made it very clear to me why very few Canadian vendors deal with Harman Kardon as it’s a customer relations nightmare if you ever have to deal with a warranty issue through JAM. That being said, I think Randy was likely more at fault here than JAM.

My mistakes were not sticking to my usual protocol of insisting on pictures prior to purchasing online (took Randy’s word for the condition based on the B1 description he provided) and not trusting my gut; when he asked for payment via Western Union it made me think twice. Unfortunately I ignored my instinct since I really wanted a 7550 and this was probably my only opportunity to get a true B1 given how long they were out of production. I should have looked elsewhere for a good used unit and saved myself $400-600. I paid a hefty premium and the best I am going to get out of it is a 2yr warranty (if Erikson ever gets back on that).

Demo_Stock_Classification_(B-stock)_-_Erikson_Consumer.pdf 31k .pdf file
7550 Refurb.jpg 510k .jpg file
First Unit 1.jpg 57k .jpg file
First Unit 2.jpg 86k .jpg file
First Unit 3.jpg 65k .jpg file
Second Unit 1.jpg 149k .jpg file
Second Unit 2.jpg 151k .jpg file
Second Unit 3.jpg 72k .jpg file

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin S View Post

I finally got a hold of one of these... with the help of a board member, I was able to track down a B1 unit (for those that aren't familiar, see attached document), which is basically a unicorn since these things are long out of production. It's a long story that is still ongoing, but JAM Industries literally stole my B1 unit (that was sent in for a simple firmware upgrade) and replaced it the first time with a beat up completely unpackaged piece of junk (loose receiver and accessories thrown in a box), then later replaced it with a much nicer (still had to polish out scratches from the face) refurbished unit despite the fact I made it very clear that would not be acceptable - they were dumb enough to leave a repair work order slip on the box (which was literally broke open when left on my door step). It's a long story and I am trying to communicate with the vendor on how to resolve this (ie. partial refund since I did not get what I paid for), but surprise surprise he's not getting back to me.

Anyways, the question I have is has anyone else had issues with their unit intermittantly refusing to output any sound on startup? It's happened 3-4 times in the ~3 weeks I've had the unit where you turn it on and there is no sound output no matter what you try (internet radio, network, TV, FM, BluRay etc.). The only thing that fixes it is turning the unit off/on, sometimes several times before it will work again. I'm trying to figure out if this is related to the network/internet features as I've only ever noticed it happening when "starting up" in one of these modes (internet radio or network). I am wondering if I should send this thing back once and for all since the repair work order noted that they "fixed the surround board and adjusted the bias". Is this possibly the same "surround board" issue it was sent back for in the first place? It also makes me nervous that they claimed to have "fixed" it rather than replaced it.

Long story short: AVOID ANYTHING TO DO WITH JAM INDUSTRIES AT ALL COSTS! I should have never bothered having the firmware upgraded. Next time (if I ever buy HK again) I will buy one in the US and not worry about the warranty as it's completely worthless since JAM is the only option for the entire country.

Demo_Stock_Classification_(B-stock)_-_Erikson_Consumer.pdf 31k .pdf file
post #1377 of 1616 Old 06-20-2012, 09:32 PM

Hey guys, great info here (as always). I recently upgraded from my old avr-745 to a 7550HD. I'm pretty impressed, but I'm running across one weird issue I figured I'd ask the geniuses here about.

Source- Media Center PC, windows 7, Geforce 560, HDMI to AVR (7550hd)
TV- HDMI to Mitsubishi LED/LCD

When I have HDMI bypass set to "on", everything looks great. When I turn it off, text on the screen gets colorful... like random letters on a web page will be red- almost like what you'd see with a convergence problem on an old RPTV. Not everywhere, mind you, but just randomly sprinkled through the text. Trying different video modes changes how bad the issue is... "Off" being the worst and "Nature" being the best. I tried it on "custom" and fiddled with all the controls but nothing seemed to make a difference. I also played with all the advanced settings and nothing there seemed to help either.

Any ideas? I'll try to post a picture of it with hdmi bypass on and off so you can see the difference.

-Foo
post #1378 of 1616 Old 06-20-2012, 09:44 PM

Bypass Off

Bypass On

Sorry, not the best pictures, but hopefully that gets the point across. Look at the "m" in monster.
post #1379 of 1616 Old 06-23-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leetfoo View Post

Hey guys, great info here (as always). I recently upgraded from my old avr-745 to a 7550HD. I'm pretty impressed, but I'm running across one weird issue I figured I'd ask the geniuses here about.
Source- Media Center PC, windows 7, Geforce 560, HDMI to AVR (7550hd)
TV- HDMI to Mitsubishi LED/LCD
When I have HDMI bypass set to "on", everything looks great. When I turn it off, text on the screen gets colorful... like random letters on a web page will be red- almost like what you'd see with a convergence problem on an old RPTV. Not everywhere, mind you, but just randomly sprinkled through the text. Trying different video modes changes how bad the issue is... "Off" being the worst and "Nature" being the best. I tried it on "custom" and fiddled with all the controls but nothing seemed to make a difference. I also played with all the advanced settings and nothing there seemed to help either.
Any ideas? I'll try to post a picture of it with hdmi bypass on and off so you can see the difference.
-Foo

I've noticed this too, it's a side effect of the processing the Faroudja chip does. Interestingly enough, it only occurs when I use a 1080p signal from my PC, if it scales lower resolutions this does not occur.

I would suggest using the HDMI bypass anyway if you're using a PC. I think the Faroudja chip only passes the 16-235 color space for consumer video devices and not the full 0-255 used by a PC.
post #1380 of 1616 Old 06-23-2012, 08:19 PM

I have a question regarding how to manually set the individual channels correctly using the built in test tones. The manual states to use a C-weighted sound meter and manually set each channel to 75dB. But since the master volume control also affects the volume of the test tones, I'm not sure what the master volume should be set at before I begin adjusting each channel individually. The EZSet portion of the manual indicates the AVR sets the master volume the -25dB during the EZSet process. Is this the same level that should be used when adjusting it manually?

Thanks.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page