post #1591 of 1596 Old 08-18-2014, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm3 View Post
Well, my earlier problems really do seem to have been a speaker short. It has been operating flawlessly since switching to banana plugs.

It sounds great, is great, and I'm VERY pleased with my $500 H/K 7550HD!! Hopefully I'll have many years of flawless operation.

If I could make one complaint, the front power light is REALLY bright, and the HDMI board fan is REALLY loud, louder than my w1070 projector fan. No whining or anything, just loud.

Thanks everyone for all the hep, with me luck for continued good operation.
Front panel light is adjustable. Press setup, then select system settings. Front panel dimmer is first selection. Set it where you want and your'e good to go. As for the fan noise that's one of the reasons for adding the fans. Mostly that HDMI board fan won't come on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1592 of 1596 Old 08-20-2014, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Fans are ordered, they are coming soon. Front panel set to 25% which helps, but the big white "I'M ON!!" light doesn't dim.
I will be relocating all equipment to a closet behind the seating position, so that should resolve the issue altogether. The fans in there will help keep it cool.

I run an external Adcom GFA-7400 Amp which will help keep the Harman Kardon cool.

Again, crossing my fingers for many many years of trouble free operation from the thing.

It's hard to love Martin Logans and 2.35:1 CIH at the same time...
post #1593 of 1596 Old Yesterday, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Machine has continued to operate flawlessly.

QUESTION: On the EzSet/EQ II calibration, I want to mount the microphone on a tripod, with the mic where my head would go in the listening position (right?)

Which direction should the mic be pointing? I'm assuming either straight up at the ceiling, or straight at the center channel.

When doing the individual speakers, it seems clear it should be pointed straight at the speakers with the line through the bottom of the mic passing through my head in the listening position, correct?

post #1594 of 1596 Old Yesterday, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Machine has continued to operate flawlessly.

QUESTION: On the EzSet/EQ II calibration, I want to mount the microphone on a tripod, with the mic where my head would go in the listening position (right?)
Did U get the extension rod? Adjust the height of the microphone on the tripod & extension rod to be @ about ear level when seated.

Quote:
Which direction should the mic be pointing? I'm assuming either straight up at the ceiling, or straight at the center channel.
For far-field measurements, microphone should be aimed toward the ceiling, for near-field do it close to the speaker(about 1.5' back) with the microphone aimed between the tweeter and mid-range for each speaker.

Suggestion..
Since the 7550HD has (2) EQ presets, try a couple of slightly different microphone positions. Then compare to see which one sounds better, often we reran the EQ a few times because there are differences...

Just my $0.01...
post #1595 of 1596 Old Yesterday, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post
Did U get the extension rod? Adjust the height of the microphone on the tripod & extension rod to be @ about ear level when seated.

For far-field measurements, microphone should be aimed toward the ceiling, for near-field do it close to the speaker(about 1.5' back) with the microphone aimed between the tweeter and mid-range for each speaker.

Suggestion..
Since the 7550HD has (2) EQ presets, try a couple of slightly different microphone positions. Then compare to see which one sounds better, often we reran the EQ a few times because there are differences...

Just my $0.01...
Yes I have the extension rod. Because I have martin logan bi-polar speakers, does that change at all how I would use the EzSet/EQ II?

post #1596 of 1596 Old Yesterday, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Yes I have the extension rod. Because I have martin logan bi-polar speakers, does that change at all how I would use the EzSet/EQ II?
BiPolar speakers, especially electrostatics can be tricky to set up...
The stats have incredible high frequency response, but have to be tweaked in position to get a balanced frequency response. I assume U already have them positioned for the best sound about 2-3' from the wall..
But since they work on a reflected sound principle, for the near-field mesurement U will need to do some trial & error. As mentioned previously, U want to capture the speaker's full response output so move within 2-3' of the speaker for the near-field but be prepared to try a couple of distances.

EZSet/EQ II was one of the best room EQ schemes available, and was the 1st to actually run separate LF sweeps for Sub 1 & 2. But now it is 5 years old and later EQ schemes have caught up and/or cloned some its features. But as I tell my customers, run the software and check its sound, then decide. If not satisfied, reposition the microphone and rerun the software, then take another listen.

Room EQ schemes are a significant development, but can deliver mixed results...
In many of our installs using Audyssey, certain listeners prefer the EQ turned off.

Just my $0.01...
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page