Harman Kardon AVR 7550HD (2008 announcement) - Page 55 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #1621 of 1632 Old 05-21-2015, 11:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30cabrio View Post
Seems HK is out of the real AVR business. I have been having a problem with actual surround modes working (PS3 set to a\uto s is the AVR3700) and I am getting 5 channel surround displayed. I called my contact and got a dead extension & emailed & got an auto responder he is no longer there.

There was an email address to messsage in his response I forwarded to a week ago & nada.

Calls to their "support" number got me nowhere.
HK has basically abandoned the AVR/audio component categories. Though Harman International is doing very well financially due to a strong OE 12V infotainment biz, the AVR marketing/development team was disbanded and handed off to China...

When the Harman family was active in the audio component biz before they retired in 2009, they had a passion to deliver butt-kickin audio stuff.. Now in place is a totally different management team with other priorities pushing other categories such as wireless BT speakers, headphones, pro-audio. A big reason is the financial collapse of the profit structure for the AVR category, with the tremendous impact of the internet sellers certain brands tried to build market share with aggressive entry-priced AVRs.. Instead of building and increasing the global AVR market size and delivering value, they cut down component quality, shortened the warranties and delivered a cheaper, lower performance product.. The strategy backfired, the market grew in terms of units sold but total $ and generated profits vaporized...
And now certain audio premier brands have failed financially and many have been bought out by other $ ventures groups... Check out Marantz, Denon, Onkyo, Pioneer and U can better understand what happened.
Thanks for listening... ☺️☺️

Just my $0.02...
dmb12679 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 1632 Old 05-21-2015, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb12679 View Post
What is the problem with your 3700 processing? What are you trying to run?

I was getting whatever mode the disk(s) were set to (DTS, DD) etc.

Now with the PS3 set to auto via HDMI or optical I get 5 channel PCM, set to manual I get Logic 7.
post #1623 of 1632 Old 05-21-2015, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post
HK has basically abandoned the AVR/audio component categories. Though Harman International is doing very well financially due to a strong OE 12V infotainment biz, the AVR marketing/development team was disbanded and handed off to China...

When the Harman family was active in the audio component biz before they retired in 2009, they had a passion to deliver butt-kickin audio stuff.. Now in place is a totally different management team with other priorities pushing other categories such as wireless BT speakers, headphones, pro-audio. A big reason is the financial collapse of the profit structure for the AVR category, with the tremendous impact of the internet sellers certain brands tried to build market share with aggressive entry-priced AVRs.. Instead of building and increasing the global AVR market size and delivering value, they cut down component quality, shortened the warranties and delivered a cheaper, lower performance product.. The strategy backfired, the market grew in terms of units sold but total $ and generated profits vaporized...
And now certain audio premier brands have failed financially and many have been bought out by other $ ventures groups... Check out Marantz, Denon, Onkyo, Pioneer and U can better understand what happened.
Thanks for listening... ☺️☺️

Just my $0.02...

Thanks for the informative post as usual.
post #1624 of 1632 Old 05-22-2015, 05:05 AM

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
I was getting whatever mode the disk(s) were set to (DTS, DD) etc.

Now with the PS3 set to auto via HDMI or optical I get 5 channel PCM, set to manual I get Logic 7.
Try checking you audio settings on PS3, try sending it out to HK via bitstream or native I think. I don't have a gaming console, but I have an old HK BDP1(not able to decode DTS HD or True HD) and if I changed the settings on the bluray player to send native or bitstream, the AVR did the processing and I got it.

Harman Kardon 3700 / Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1
Klipsch RF-82 II
Klipsch RC-64 II
Klipsch RB-51 II FH
Klipsch SS-1's
Klipsch R-112SW
post #1625 of 1632 Old 05-22-2015, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
M Code
Thanks for the correction. My response was just copy and paste from the manual.
post #1626 of 1632 Old 06-06-2015, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post
Incorrect..
The subwoofer size has to do with the amount of gain and natural roll-off within the EQ software for the sub. Typically the larger the subwoofer the higher its sensitivity for SPL output, has to do with the physics of moving more air...

Just my $0.02..
Do you happen to still have the software update via USB my local centers are telling me they can't get the jig tool to update the software from hk and hk want me to pay for a refurbished 7550 for an extra 324 dollars awful service from. Hk lately I am on 4.18 right now

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Last edited by regg949; 06-06-2015 at 02:38 PM.
post #1627 of 1632 Old 06-15-2015, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Try checking you audio settings on PS3, try sending it out to HK via bitstream or native I think. I don't have a gaming console, but I have an old HK BDP1(not able to decode DTS HD or True HD) and if I changed the settings on the bluray player to send native or bitstream, the AVR did the processing and I got it.

The PS3 no longer has a bitstream choice. I have tried every possible combination. It sounds great but says 5 Channel PCM.

I liked that it showed whatever the correct audio was.
post #1628 of 1632 Old 06-16-2015, 05:48 AM

Finally figured it out.

https://support.us.playstation.com/a...utput-settings

It is a bit different because that refers to os 2.x.x.x and I am on 4.6.x.x but is in the DVD/BD area which I never saw or looked in. I changed it to Bitstream there and now get whatever the BRD is passing.

Harman never called back, I left a message for a Mike on a Connecticut number which was a response to an email 2 weeks prior to their "customer service" address after India dropped my call 2x & mis-transferred me 2x (to paraphrase): I have left two other messages, I have been a loyal customer having had your avrs since they were invented & prior your receivers starting when I had money in the late 70s, this 3700 which forced me to buy an external amp is the last, how about a response even if only to tell me to go to hell?

That was 2 weeks ago o response.

FU Harman International, I have a house full of your tech, as they die they will be replaced with someone else's pieces even if yours are a better value (not likely)

Last edited by e30cabrio; 06-16-2015 at 07:06 PM.
post #1629 of 1632 Old 06-17-2015, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Finally figured it out.

https://support.us.playstation.com/a...utput-settings

It is a bit different because that refers to os 2.x.x.x and I am on 4.6.x.x but is in the DVD/BD area which I never saw or looked in. I changed it to Bitstream there and now get whatever the BRD is passing.

Harman never called back, I left a message for a Mike on a Connecticut number which was a response to an email 2 weeks prior to their "customer service" address after India dropped my call 2x & mis-transferred me 2x (to paraphrase): I have left two other messages, I have been a loyal customer having had your avrs since they were invented & prior your receivers starting when I had money in the late 70s, this 3700 which forced me to buy an external amp is the last, how about a response even if only to tell me to go to hell?

That was 2 weeks ago o response.

FU Harman International, I have a house full of your tech, as they die they will be replaced with someone else's pieces even if yours are a better value (not likely)

So really it was your PS3 settings, not your HK?

Klipsch RF-82 II
Klipsch RC-64 II
Klipsch RB-51 II FH
Klipsch SS-1's
Klipsch R-112SW
post #1630 of 1632 Old 06-17-2015, 01:58 PM

This issue was the PS3, Harman literally never offered any help, even telling me it was not their issue.

Tech support means looking at other manufacturer's settings and helping the user.

The PS3 is 8 years old was 200.00, the 3700 is 7 months old and was 999.99.
post #1631 of 1632 Old 06-18-2015, 08:22 AM

Quote:
This issue was the PS3, Harman literally never offered any help, even telling me it was not their issue.

Tech support means looking at other manufacturer's settings and helping the user.

The PS3 is 8 years old was 200.00, the 3700 is 7 months old and was 999.99.
There customer service bad and getting worse, but their product was working properly, I posted on the 22nd to check your ps3 settings as I too had the same issue with my older bluray player. I have found it is always a better process to ask questions here before dealing with any electronic CS. There are some great knowledgeable people here that can answer a question faster and better than most CS

Klipsch RF-82 II
Klipsch RC-64 II
Klipsch RB-51 II FH
Klipsch SS-1's
Klipsch R-112SW
post #1632 of 1632 Old 06-18-2015, 03:02 PM

Quote:
There customer service bad and getting worse, but their product was working properly, I posted on the 22nd to check your ps3 settings as I too had the same issue with my older bluray player. I have found it is always a better process to ask questions here before dealing with any electronic CS. There are some great knowledgeable people here that can answer a question faster and better than most CS

Prior to posting I checked the PS3 and again several times. No one suggested looking at the disk menu.

My quarrel with HK is that I contacted them months ago and never got the courtesy of a pretend attempt at support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page