Harman Kardon AVR 7550HD (2008 announcement) - Page 56 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #1651 of 1679 Old 02-23-2016, 09:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhHeaven View Post
Update: omg.. I have tears. This is amazing! I swear. This unit is magic. I've ha many models, brands and old school, new school, but this .. Omg. LoL. I want to praise the maker. The sound is amazing. It's not just mello, it's creamy, it's soft, it caresses my soul. But, when it has too, it's scary, very scary. Like a tiger roaring at you in a dark night and noone is around to help you. The soundstage is pristine. It's far past my walls. Around me. The bass is deep, it goes inside me. Through me. The vocals make me cry. Literally, I just listened to a song I have heard many times before but never this way. It hurt me. Inside it did. Cause I felt the singer. The unit portrays the song in a way I never heard. How the hell is this happening? And I'm not even listening to HD music yet! It's just Pandora on my Samsung TV app!
OK OK so here is my setup.
Besides the 7550h I just got, I have a rare Bohlender Graebener BGA-2500 subwoofer amp. It's a dual mono 500x2 watt Bash amplifier that usually comes with a 10k$ speaker setup. I was lucky to run up on one for sale and snagged it. Amazing bass. Effortless. Powerful! The 2 front speakers are Sony Ss-k90Ed speakers which I did modify the passive crossovers with different caps, changed Lpad components with metal film and went from 5db to 3db and use the 2 lower woofers for the subwoofer work. They sound amazing. The center is a Sony Ss-k30ed to match the 90ed mids and highs. The crossovers in these are exact same as the 90ed's. The rear surrounds are a pair of Sony Ss-k10ed speakers. I use the same modified crossovers in all the speakers. The sound is gapless.
The rest you will laugh at. It's not much really. I just download movies and music and put it on a thumb drive and plug it into the TV. The TV plays everything. Well except 7.1 HD master audio. So I am playing DTS and DD. That's it's!
LoL this setup has been what I've had for a while now and can easily say that because I have not changed much, just the avr and bass amp, I can tell you, this avr is superior to anything I've owned and heard. Marantz, Sony, pioneer, even the HK 3700. This thing here is never getting sold.. If I run up on a HK 990 I'm buying it.
I hope and beg the powers that be, to sprinkle special dust on this 7550hd that will make it live long and without issues.

I could go on and on about this but I'm literally sitting on my sofa, in the dark, as I listen to this thing, and I need to go play with it..

Joy ! :-)
Note that the 7550HD full-process Logic 7 can also overlay for Dolby Digital +, Dolby True Audio and DTS Master Audio... Try it U will be amazed!!
The strength of Logic 7 is its ability to steer different frequencies & phases making some tracks almost discrete. Also the Room EQ SW though dated is incredible especially for the near/far filed measurements and (2) subwoofers..

Happy to hear U enjoy it, as it is very sad/tragic that Harman decided to disband the USA AVR development team and move AVR hardware and software development to China. But as Pappy & Dylan said says the Times Are A Changin..

Just my $0.02...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1652 of 1679 Old 02-24-2016, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 589 Post(s)
Liked: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post
Also the Room EQ SW though dated is incredible especially for the near/far filed measurements and (2) subwoofers..
This can not be more wrong....the EQ SW is complete crap with multiple subwoofers !
It completely DESTROYS the sound!

Do yourself a favor and DO NOT use that useless portion of the 7550HD,
Asisde from that it's a fantastic receiver for sound.

In case you're wondering....I have 4x 21" sub in the front and 4x 18" subs in the back!
My frequency response on the bass side is FLAT from 5HZ to 100HZ.

With EQ SW engaged it completely destroys the bass side of my setup and I have a dam good idea what I'm doing

Here's my FR graph... (of course this is WITHOUT EQ SW enabled! It is impossible to get flat with EQ enabled)

What this graph shows is "no smoothing applied" it is raw response.

I have done the EQ setup a minimum of 500 times and it "always" destroys my sound.
My unit has gone 3 times to HK and was told it's normal.

It is probably good for single sub applications but if you have multiples forget it!

OH and here's my front and back stage what it looks like . It is a dedicated HT Room

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fr.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	1275073   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	1275121   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0753.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	1275129  

My Build Thread
Equipment Speakers:
3x 1099's for LCR duty
4x Fusion 8's for surround duty
8x subs: 4x FTW21's and 4x SI18's
post #1653 of 1679 Old 02-24-2016, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Have you tried the EQ with just two subwoofers? It only claims to handle two, not 8. Sweet set up btw

Denon 2113ci
Klipsch RF-7's II
Klipsch RC-64 II
Klipsch RB-51 II
Klipsch RS-42 II
Klipsch R-112SW (x2)
post #1654 of 1679 Old 02-24-2016, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatshaft View Post
This can not be more wrong....the EQ SW is complete crap with multiple subwoofers !

In case you're wondering....I have 4x 21" sub in the front and 4x 18" subs in the back!

With EQ SW engaged it completely destroys the bass side of my setup and I have a dam good idea what I'm doing

Here's my FR graph... (of course this is WITHOUT EQ SW enabled! It is impossible to get flat with EQ enabled)

I have done the EQ setup a minimum of 500 times and it "always" destroys my sound.

It is probably good for single sub applications but if you have multiples forget it!

OH and here's my front and back stage what it looks like . It is a dedicated HT Room

That is an amazing system and I am jealous. Seems to me the unit was never meant to run that many subs. I'd think it would (and you say it does) confuse the processor with the amount of bass coming from so many sources.

Seems to me you need a serious processor designed for that level of system/speakers.
post #1655 of 1679 Old 02-24-2016, 12:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

A couple of thoughts...
1. The front subwoofers do not match the rear subwoofers
I would suggest U turn OFF the rear subwoofers and try the EQ SW, post back ur results.
2. What is the listening room size (WxHxD), if U generate too many LF airwaves this can/will corrupt the measurements
3. Where did U place the microphone? Did U use the extender rod?
4. Wow.. LF response down to 5Hz is incredible, but what about the entire system's response? What are U using to measure this? Too much LF can/will unbalance and over power the mids & highs, corrupting the end results
5. How does this system sound for music playback?
6. Does the 7550HD have the latest firmware update?

The basic EQ software is now 11 years old, and there have been multiple major updates since then. But note JBL & Dr.Toole recommends up to 4 subwoofers.... To compare the latest versions, check out the JBL Synthesis products, the EQ SW is now called ARCOS calibration system.
Here is a link...
http://www.jblsynthesis.com

Regarding the theory and studies behind Dr.Toole U should read his AES white papers about room EQ systems and multi subwoofers..
Here are the links..

http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=17839

http://www.harman.com/sites/default/...ndRoomsPt3.pdf

Check out the white papers, run some of the suggested routines and post back ur results. Thanks.

Just my $0.02...
post #1656 of 1679 Old 02-24-2016, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtenn View Post
SeventhHeaven,
Where did you get your 7550hd?
California.
I did a Craigslist google search.

I typed in "Avr 7550hd Craigslist" just like that

Came up with a sale. It's been up for a while and surprised noone bought it for those few months I saw it for sale. I did see one on amazon at the same time which was a bit more but probably detoured everyone to amazon cause although that one was a refurb it would have a warranty. Yes It was more but I wanted one of these so I waited. Luckily, I had the money and bam! Got it! For 750$
I made the decision to buy it.
Ha to send a check. But we did talk and I sensed the person was honest. So now, I have in my possession a like new 7550hd. Even has the plastic on the remote!

No issues. No noises. Just sound the way an avr should sound. In fact it sounds better than any seperates I've had.

It will take allot of money to out do this unit.

Last edited by SeventhHeaven; 02-24-2016 at 01:44 PM.
post #1657 of 1679 Old 02-24-2016, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb12679 View Post
Have you tried the EQ with just two subwoofers? It only claims to handle two, not 8. Sweet set up btw
More subs will "always" help any system to get a smoother (Flat) response and thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30cabrio View Post
That is an amazing system and I am jealous. Seems to me the unit was never meant to run that many subs. I'd think it would (and you say it does) confuse the processor with the amount of bass coming from so many sources.

Seems to me you need a serious processor designed for that level of system/speakers.
The 7550HD is an excellent amp for driving the 7 channels. It doesn't drive any in the .2 portion. You need an external amp for the subs, so it's irrelevant in the sub out.
My subs are driven by 2 separate amps designed to drive big a$$ subs.
Also I use a MiniDSP to EQ my subs and it works fantastic!

Quote:
A couple of thoughts...
1. The front subwoofers do not match the rear subwoofers
Completely irrelevant especially when all subs are sealed
FYI, I went from 1 sub to 2 subs to 4 subs (All exactly the same) and finally to 8 subs.
No matter the combo, it still gives the terrible results
I would suggest U turn OFF the rear subwoofers and try the EQ SW, post back ur results.
Been there done that...trust me the software is NOT designed for the low end...actually it's terrible!
2. What is the listening room size (WxHxD), if U generate too many LF airwaves this can/will corrupt the measurements
Size of my room is approx 14x17x7. Again not relevant...there's no such thing as too much bass! When FR is flat, EVERY signal moves up or down the same throughout the frequency range
3. Where did U place the microphone?
At the MLP (Master listening position) please, I think I know what I'm doing!
(Center left and right position also used in calibration...still same terrible results)
Tried also 1,2,3,4 feet forward or backward from MLP and ALWAYS terrible results.
Trust me when I say it's terrible that it's terrible no matter where you try!
Did U use the extender rod?
Yes I did...every possible combination was tried
4. Wow.. LF response down to 5Hz is incredible, but what about the entire system's response?
Thanks... Pretty flat across the whole FR range. Ya low end is the bomb!
What are U using to measure this?
I use a calibrated cross spectrum Umm-6 USB microphone.
You can see it in the pic I posted of my back room layout.
It's ALWAYS ready to be used.
Too much LF can/will unbalance and over power the mids & highs, corrupting the end results
Yes so you need to adjust ALL channels volume level PRIOR to doing any EQ!
How does this system sound for music playback?
Absolutely FANTASTIC!
6. Does the 7550HD have the latest firmware update?
Yes it does
BTW, about 2 years ago I bought a Denon 3313CI and sold it within a week. The sound coming out of that unit was garbage compared to the 7550HD.
when my 7550HD dies, it's going to be a very SAD DAY!

Oh and my biggest pet peeve on the 7550HD is the crossover adjustment...Whether you put 80HZ or 200HZ does NOTHING for the subs. They cutoff at 80HZ no matter what

Regards,

My Build Thread
Equipment Speakers:
3x 1099's for LCR duty
post #1658 of 1679 Old 02-24-2016, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member

I was not suggesting the 7550 was running the subs, I was referring to it's eq program being confused by so many subs.

If my 7550 worked I'd still have it, I loved it. I hope yours keeps working for years to come.
post #1659 of 1679 Old 02-24-2016, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Oh and my biggest pet peeve on the 7550HD is the crossover adjustment...Whether you put 80HZ or 200HZ does NOTHING for the subs. They cutoff at 80HZ no matter what

Regards,

Well. That and the thing with the auto eq, I can't manually change the eq except for that bass treble trim thingy. Surprisingly though, the unit sounds better with eq off. It's like, it lets the original sound come through unlike anything I've heard.

As for the crossover, it does change. It does not stay on 80hz but yes I do wish it would have more crossover settings. I have figured out that what it actually does is, it will put the crossover points the same on mids and subs. So for example, the frequencies go from 40 to 200hz on the 7 speakers not the subwoofers. When I choose lets say for example, 100hz, the main speaker will play 100hz up at an unknown slope, I'm guessing 18db since the Citation and Synthesis brands use that. Well the sub then picks up the lower frequencies from 100hz down. If I choose 40hz it should also make the subs play 40hz down and the mains 40hz up. You get the idea. But, the auto eq is where the unit equalizes the subs to match the mains best. The issue here is, most speakers won't play well under around 100hz or 80hz unless you have a nice sized woofer to take the midbass and bass. The subbass is specific as you already know but the issue is, if you have a speaker setup that has 6.5" mids and tweeters, these wont play well below 100hz. So when configuring the crossover on this unit there will be a gap if you have main speakers that don't have beefy woofers for good solid bass. If you don't have beefy main speakers, you must put the crossover at 100 or 150hz and yes you will still get some midbass output from the mains at this setting because the slope is not too steep,but, the problem is your subwoofer will then be playing some midbass, cause, again, the crossover on this unit is just one crossover point! This is where you have to use your subwoofer amp/crossover to take out that midbass. Sure you will have a gap in sound but really not much.
This procedure is what I do cause my speakers for the mains are 6.5s and can't take the beefy bass notes but also the subs are 2 6.5" subs that play well into the midbass region. This will cause uneven sound if I crossover these at anything above 60hz cause the nature of my speakers capabilities. So, I use some help from my sub crossover. I am however still playing with this 7550hd and I might just find something the avr can do I'm not aware of yet, thus hopefully forgoing and bypassing the use of the subamp crossover. I'm thinking I need to do a bit of manual tweeking on the crossover and allow the units auto eq to smooth out the gaps. This may be the trick to bypassing the subamp. I'll play with it and figure that out soon enough.
Car audio allows you to dial in specific crossover points for mains and subs seperately. Many home audio avr's don't have seperately crossovers. It's just one crossover point. Pioneer does this. It's aggrivating but, some units sound better than others and so, in the case of the 7550hd, it seems to work better than other avr units with just one crossover point.
Car audio even offers you different slopes! Why cant they do that in home audio! Imagine a 7550hd with multiple crossover points and slopes on all channels like car audio with a option for manually eq!
BTW I do have the last update on mine 4.43. Maybe yours doesn't. All I know is, when I set the crossover to 150hz, the subs play some midbass and when I set the crossover to 40hz the mains play too much bass and the subs only play subbass. It just all depends on your setup. If you have small mains or mains that can't handle subbass, you need to cutum off high. The slope the 7550 uses isn't too steep.
I will say that for sure, the crossover for subs is not just 80hz. I know this for sure. I am playing with it right now. I just put it on 40hz and its a huge difference In bass output/lack there of cause its sending 40hz up to some 6.5s and 40hz down to the subs wich not much music info is down there to be honest.

Last edited by SeventhHeaven; 02-24-2016 at 06:35 PM.
post #1660 of 1679 Old 02-24-2016, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

SeventhHeavenm,

My 3 different 7550HD I tested DO NOT play anything above 80HZ on the subs.
Let me give you an example:
If I put the xover at 40HZ then mains play 40HZ and up...subs play 40HZ down
If I put the xover at 60HZ then mains play 60HZ and up...subs play 60HZ down
If I put the xover at 80HZ then mains play 80HZ and up...subs play 80HZ down
If I put the xover at 100HZ then mains play 100HZ and up...subs play 80HZ down
If I put the xover at 120HZ then mains play 120HZ and up...subs play 80HZ down
If I put the xover at 150HZ then mains play 150HZ and up...subs play 80HZ down
If I put the xover at 200HZ then mains play 200HZ and up...subs play 80HZ down
In other words...the sub out NEVER plays anything above 80HZ...it drops like a rock!

Hope you see what I mean

My Build Thread
Equipment Speakers:
3x 1099's for LCR duty
post #1661 of 1679 Old 02-24-2016, 06:48 PM

I wanted to also say that this unit has Dolby Prologic II, DTS Neo, 5 Chan or 7 Chan stereo, and even has 2 channel phantom surround sound. Of course the Logic 7 as well. But, I've had other units with the same sound formats and don't sound this good.

I think even the DTS Neo for music even sounds spectacular! The unit is just amazing!

Keep in mind I did also have the HK3700 . It's no even close.

It's like going from a black and white TV to full color!
post #1662 of 1679 Old 02-24-2016, 06:55 PM

Quote:
SeventhHeavenm,

In other words...the sub out NEVER plays anything above 80HZ...it drops like a rock!

Hope you see what I mean
Yes I know exactly what you mean. But, I must say, either I'm not experiencing my speakers correctly, can't hear the change accuartely or maybe I think your system is just not doing what mine is. I can change the frequencies and tell a difference even when going from 80hz to 150hz.
I think, maybe your sub amplifers are class d and many of those amps have a strict cutoff at high bass frequencies due to the nature of the class d design. So, getting anything over 80hz won't happen cause the manufacturer put a filter on the output so the amp won't play past its distortion threshhold. Idk. Or maybe your subs just have a natural tendency to roll off at 80hz and won't play any higher.
I must say, I am able to change the frequencies and tell a difference.

Unfortunately I don't have huge multiple subwoofers.. So I can't really duplicate your scenario.
post #1663 of 1679 Old 02-24-2016, 07:02 PM

Another thing I really need to point out, from my experience.

Dolby volume takes out allot of subtle nuances and soundstage.

It is not for sound quality. It's for not waking up the neighbors or baby at night cause a bass note or scene in a movie or a commercial played and is allot louder than the rest of the sound you will normally hear. It levels out the sound. Meaning, it will degrade the overall sound.

If you have midfi speakers you might not notice cause you won't have a good sounstage anyway :-)

I keep it off!
This is not just for the 7550hd. It's for all units and brands with this function.

I've had people listen in on my setup today and I accidentally hit something and that button was changing a setting or two with Dolby volume and I couldn't figure out wth I did to make the soundstage drop out. I finally found it when I turned off Dolby volume..

Last edited by SeventhHeaven; 02-24-2016 at 07:07 PM.
post #1664 of 1679 Old 02-24-2016, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Please graph your 7550HD and show me your sub output playing above 80HZ. It won't!

My amps are NOT class D...the class has NOTHIING to do with what frequency it can play to.
My subs DO NOT have a roll off at 80HZ...lol

I don't think you understand how amps and subs work...sorry.

I'll just leave it at this.
The 7550HD is a phenomenal receiver...nothing comes close to it with what it dishes out and the quality of sound.
The sub out signal is outstanding!
The EQ on the unit is horrendous!
The xover setting is horrendously made!

Despite it's MAJOR flaws...I will sorely miss this receiver when it dies!

The Denon I had for a week played to 200HZ no problem but it sounded like pure crap compared to the 7550HD

My Build Thread
Equipment Speakers:
3x 1099's for LCR duty
post #1665 of 1679 Old 02-24-2016, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Please graph your 7550HD and show me your sub output playing above 80HZ. It won't!

My amps are NOT class D...the class has NOTHIING to do with what frequency it can play to.
My subs DO NOT have a roll off at 80HZ...lol

I don't think you understand how amps and subs work...sorry.

I'll just leave it at this.
The 7550HD is a phenomenal receiver...nothing comes close to it with what it dishes out and the quality of sound.
The sub out signal is outstanding!
The EQ on the unit is horrendous!
The xover setting is horrendously made!

Despite it's MAJOR flaws...I will sorely miss this receiver when it dies!

The Denon I had for a week played to 200HZ no problem but it sounded like pure crap compared to the 7550HD
I think the flaw here is your setup.

I'd like to introduce myself.
I'm an over 40 DIY hobbyist. I sold and installed stereo for home and vehicle. I've had a itch for this stuff since mid 80s.
I've owned almost every major brand and some off brands I. Car and home audio. I think I know a thing or 2 about this niche.

Yes amplifiers do have filters in the outputs depending on the class amplifier. Class D usually has a filter so it wont pass sound past a certain frequency because class D has switching distortion. So, many class D amps need the filter! Some class D amps dont because they are full range and can play all frequencies of the human hearing because the technology it is made of has evolved past the switching distortion problem.

Also, yes, all woofer enclosures hav a natural role off of frequencies. Sealed enclosures have a wide role off of usually only 6db or even less. Depends on the subwoofer because some subwoofers have a heavy cone and stiff spider thus adding even more role off. Vented enclosures have tunes vents which usually will not play bass lower than the size of the port! Also vented enclosures can increase spl at certain frequencies depending in vent size. Bandpass enclosures have even more role off due to its elaborate vented/sealed construction!

So therefore, maybe you need to rethink this idea that the 7550hd is THAT horrid. It's not. I've played around with this unit enough to know that when I change the crossover from 80hz to 200hz the bass on my subs drastically changes and I can hear some midbass in the subs.

So am I hearing things? Is my unit not working correctly? I would think that the crossover in my unit is working fine and doing exactly what it is meant to do.

There is no reason for its crossover Frequency to stop at 80hz on the subwoofers when we can all see that the crossover point goes all the way up to 200hz.

Might want to check your amplifiers. They just might have a filter. Even glass G amps and other class of amps have a filter on its outputs especially if it's strictly made for big subwoofers as you mentioned they are made for. I know some manufacturers put no info of this filter in there manuals. I've had similar experience with certain subamps that had a subsonic filter which was not variable or switchable to off. The amp was made for a specific in wall subwoofer that could not handle subbass frequencies below 25hz. I could not get any output below 25hz from the amp.

Also, I have a class d amp. It has a filter on it so no matter what I do, I can't make it play full range. Again as I said before, most subamps are made that way. Cause its for subwoofers only!

Now, if you had a Denon that allowed upto 200hz to your subs, well then its your 7550 that has a problem.
dmb12679 likes this.

Last edited by SeventhHeaven; 02-24-2016 at 08:42 PM.
post #1666 of 1679 Old 02-24-2016, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't see your graphs !

You're right
My system is all screwed up !
It has to be everything in my signal chain AFTER the 7550!

The fact that the Denon works flawlessly to send the 80 to 200 hz through my screwed up signal chain went right over your head !

Good luck to you too
post #1667 of 1679 Old 02-24-2016, 11:35 PM

Why do you keep asking me for a graph? I dont have a graph nor do I need a graph or a graph machine.
I can set the unit to 200hz for you. How bout you come to my place and see for yourself rather than asking me for a graph?
Is my request about as stupid as your request? Seriously.

It seems like you just want me to accept that all 7550HD units cant pass 200hz to the sub.
Sorry bub..
Mine does

THAT is what you need to accept..

BTW I did say that if you did use a Denon withthe same subs and amps you used on your HK 7550HD and it did pass 200HZ to your subs, then went back to the 7550HD and it did not, your 7550HD is defective..
Reading your responses to people, it seems you have a hard time grasping the full picture of what people are telling you.
post #1668 of 1679 Old 02-25-2016, 08:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Why do you keep asking me for a graph? I dont have a graph nor do I need a graph or a graph machine.
I can set the unit to 200hz for you. How bout you come to my place and see for yourself rather than asking me for a graph?
Is my request about as stupid as your request? Seriously.

It seems like you just want me to accept that all 7550HD units cant pass 200hz to the sub.
Sorry bub..
Mine does

THAT is what you need to accept..

BTW I did say that if you did use a Denon withthe same subs and amps you used on your HK 7550HD and it did pass 200HZ to your subs, then went back to the 7550HD and it did not, your 7550HD is defective..
Reading your responses to people, it seems you have a hard time grasping the full picture of what people are telling you.

U are correct...
The 7550HD does permit setting the subwoofer frequency @200Hz..
We have access to both Dolby and DTS 7550HD certfication files, as both did comphrehensive testing/validation of the bass manager performance which is required for final approval. Also crucial to note is the 7550HD's bass manager set to the global position or independent source. Another possibility is that his 7550HD has corrupted memory and needs to do a processor RESET.

Just my $0.02...
post #1669 of 1679 Old 02-25-2016, 02:18 PM

Quote:
U are correct...
The 7550HD does permit setting the subwoofer frequency @200Hz..
We have access to both Dolby and DTS 7550HD certfication files, as both did comphrehensive testing/validation of the bass manager performance which is required for final approval. Also crucial to note is the 7550HD's bass manager set to the global position or independent source. Another possibility is that his 7550HD has corrupted memory and needs to do a processor RESET.

Just my $0.02...

Thanks m-code

I'd do a reset and then go through all settings.

If that don't work, well, consider maybe the unit is not working right. But I'm pretty sure it's a setting or an amp.
But again, if you can get 200hz from a denon, it's prolly the 7550hd.

Ive had mine now for 2 days and I can't easily pry myself from it.

Ive put things off I probably shouldn't, just to sit and listen to this thing.

Oh please HK.. Start making units like this again. When people start to get the word that HK makes this level of sound, people will buy it. I'd pay double what I paid for this unit. Cause I know that no avr I've heard sounds like this one..

Just saying..
post #1670 of 1679 Old 02-25-2016, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
SeventhHeavenm,

Hope you see what I mean
It seems to me your particular 7550 is malfunctioning in this one area. I had one a few years ago and don't remember there being any issues in this area and I usually have and hook up many speakers of all sizes to the receivers I have on hand. I buy and sell receivers and speakers quite often. It's one of the ways I enjoy this hobby.

Edit: I missed the part of you having three different ones . That's strange. I'm sure I would have noticed something like that .
post #1671 of 1679 Old 04-08-2016, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 58
I bought this 7550HD earlier this year on ebay. The outside of it is pretty mint. I bought it to use strictly for 2.0/2.1 channel music. It emits quite a bit of fan noise, so I got bored last night and opened it up. WOW, this thing is way dustier than I was expecting. I didn’t get a pic of the side 30mm fan, but it’s just as bad.

I bought a Noctua 92MM case fan to replace the stock HK one, and also another 40mm that I will (maybe) try to make fit in place of the stock 30mm fan on the side. These are both 4-wire fans, whereas the stock fans are only 2-wire. Can I splice the yellow & black wires of the Noctua fan to the red & black wires of the OEM fan?

Really hoping I can get this cleaned up with compressed air without having to disassemble most of it. And then hopefully it will run quiet.

Any other ideas for additional cooling of this unit? I Was thinking of using a couple of usb fans AND a USB AC adapter plugged into the back of the unit, so that they power on & off with the AVR.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HK 7550HD.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	250.8 KB
ID:	1366242  
post #1672 of 1679 Old 04-10-2016, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

I ran fans on a wall wart connected to a switched powerstrip. I clean my electronics yearly to avoid that kind of mess.
post #1673 of 1679 Old 05-01-2016, 01:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looks like the video in my 7550 just went haywire. All I'm getting is a flashing screen. It's had an issue for a while if it wasn't set to bypass so it was only a matter of time.

Is it even worthwhile repairing it? Is there any recommended repair shops, close to me (Chicago area) would be convenient to avoid shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1674 of 1679 Old 05-21-2016, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio81 View Post
I bought this 7550HD earlier this year on ebay. The outside of it is pretty mint. I bought it to use strictly for 2.0/2.1 channel music. It emits quite a bit of fan noise, so I got bored last night and opened it up. WOW, this thing is way dustier than I was expecting. I didn’t get a pic of the side 30mm fan, but it’s just as bad.

I bought a Noctua 92MM case fan to replace the stock HK one, and also another 40mm that I will (maybe) try to make fit in place of the stock 30mm fan on the side. These are both 4-wire fans, whereas the stock fans are only 2-wire. Can I splice the yellow & black wires of the Noctua fan to the red & black wires of the OEM fan?

Really hoping I can get this cleaned up with compressed air without having to disassemble most of it. And then hopefully it will run quiet.

Any other ideas for additional cooling of this unit? I Was thinking of using a couple of usb fans AND a USB AC adapter plugged into the back of the unit, so that they power on & off with the AVR.
Good God man! That thing is nasty inside! If I was you, Id just clean it all out. It looks like whoever had it before you, was listening to music in a friggin ourdoor cave!
I cant see any way around cleaning it other then, elbow grease and patience....
post #1675 of 1679 Old 05-21-2016, 07:23 PM

update on my 7550HD:

Still going strong. This thing is so nice. Today I decided to recalibrate it by pointing the mic in different spots than i did last time... Its like I have a new unit! Unbelievable! I find, the best method to calibrate the unit is to just sit in the center of your listening spot. hold the mic pointing upward for the first calibration called farfield testing. For the second routine called nearfield testing, stay seated in the same spot, dont get up! With the mic still in upward position, pivot the mic forward with the base still in the same spot and point it to the speaker being tested! Seems to me this method gives me much more of a calibrations I desire than any other method. I get the testing done from MY listening position and not from 18" distance from each speaker. I use 2 subs but they are both on the Sub1 output. They are located directly under the front speakers. All I do is pivot the mic pointing to the left wall with the base of the mic stationary. Same with the right subwoofer. It comes out very nice... I then go into the settings and manually adjust the distance and volume of each speaker to match each other. So for example, My 2 front speakers match in volume level at 1+. Center is at 0. Surrounds are both matched at +4. The distance of the 2 fronts are 11.6ft., center is at 9.8ft. Subs are same as 2 front speakers. Rears are 9.8ft each... This makes the entire setup so even and uniform.... I feel that now, in this method, the sound is very flat, but sounds dynamic and rich where as before, when I did the 18" nearfield measurements, the bass had a huge hump in upper frequencies and the spaciousness was not that pronounced.
For a while I did prefer the EQ off, but after playing around, the EQ makes it sound very good and actually adds more spaciousness and involvement and realism.

Ive been modifying all my speakers by upgrading the passive crossover parts in them. I am almost done and when complete I will add the 2 rear speakers for a full 7.2 channel setup.... Im sure at that point ill never leave my sofa...LOL.....

Last edited by SeventhHeaven; 05-21-2016 at 07:26 PM.
post #1676 of 1679 Old 05-22-2016, 01:51 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
It has been a while since I posted anything here so I thought I would do a quick update.
I watch hours of TV/movies/music almost every day. I would be bummed if I ever had to replace my 7550HD with something else.

12-1-2009 Purchased my 7550HD Sub 2 output never worked. Everything else did.
2-26-2011 Sent it in for a HDMI 1.4a replacement. The replacement kept overheating
3-19-2011 Got a RMA replacement. Everything worked
1-16-2012 Side fan was very noisy. clean and lube would work for a month.
8-6-2012 Modified case to give side fan more breathing room. I have not had to do anything since.

post #1677 of 1679 Old 05-22-2016, 07:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Good God man! That thing is nasty inside! If I was you, Id just clean it all out. It looks like whoever had it before you, was listening to music in a friggin ourdoor cave!
I cant see any way around cleaning it other then, elbow grease and patience....
Yeah it was full of dust. I did only pay $400 + shipping for the 7550HD which seemed a bargain for this + remote. I already have an HK mic. from another receiver. The outside of this thing is near-mint. I have to look extremely hard to find a blemish on it.

I finally got around to cleaning this unit of dust, replacing OEM fans, and adding two additional fans. This has taken some trial and error on my part, as I initially purchased the wrong fans. I had purchased 5V fans when I needed 12V. I also tried a 92mm Noctua fan as a replacement for the OEM 92mm fan, but it just didn’t move enough air due to it being a low noise fan and the unit would shut down after about 30min.

I replaced the 30mm fan with a cheap fan from amazon. It is somewhat quieter, but not quite as quiet as I’d hoped. I had thought about cutting into the side of the case to expose more of the fan (as shown earlier in this thread), but whether the case is on or off doesn’t seem to matter in regard to fan noise from what I could tell. I was really hoping to fit a 40mm fan in place of it, but not possible without modifying the chassis. I’m going have to cut into the HK’s chassis support to fit a 40mm fan. That will be my next mod.

The front fan was replaced by a 92MM Antec fan, along with a 92mm fan filter. This is the only intake fan on the entire unit, and after all of the dust I recently cleaned from the unit, the addition of a filter seemed warranted. I then added an 80mm exhaust fan on top of the tunnel. The one I used is from AC Infinity on Amazon and fits perfectly snug between the top rails of the tunnel and still leaves clearance for the 7550HD case. It is powered by a USB charger which is plugged into the back of the 120VAC switched power outlet on the HK. I also added a 2nd 80mm fan at the back of the tunnel to assist with moving air out of the unit. I used the Noctua anti vibration mounts (push in) to secure the fan to the back of the tunnel. This fan is also powered by the USB adapter mentioned previously.

In order to get the usb cable from the 80mm fan on top of the tunnel to the usb adapter at the outside rear of the unit, I had to cut and splice the wire, and run it from the inside of the chassis to the outside. There was no way to run the cable out of the back of the unit without drilling a small hole, which I did not want to do. Luckily, there is a raised standoff on the underside of the case, which allows enough room to run a cable underneath the unit and out to the back. I secured the cable tightly to the underside of the chassis.. Not as clean of an install as I would have liked, but you will never see it and it can be removed easily if needed.

The AC Infinity fans are awesome because they include inline 3-speed controllers. I have both set on low. You can see that I cut and spliced the usb cables to remove them of any excess length. I then mounted the fan speed controllers on each side of the rear fan using velcro, so that they can be accessed if needed, but still unobtrusive and out of sight within a cabinet.

The unit with the replacement fans and additional fans runs much quieter than it did before. Even with the USB fans on low makes a significant improvement to cooling the unit and keeping the front temp-controlled fan at minimal noise. I am pretty pleased with the results from efforts to reduce noise, and hopefully I’ll get some years of enjoyment out of this receiver. Even after several hours of use at moderate volume levels, this thing barely gets warm on the outside.

One thing I did notice inside the HK is that there are additional 2-wire header connections for powering other components. It may be possible to power additional fans from there, though I did not check voltages to support this idea.

I’ve attached some pics of the added fan and wiring. I think I cleaned it up nicely. Will post back with pics of my 40mm fan mod once it's completed (if it’s successful).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7550HD_bottom.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	257.1 KB
ID:	1454850   Click image for larger version

Name:	7550HD_top.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	419.2 KB
ID:	1454858   Click image for larger version

Name:	7550HD_rear.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	347.0 KB
ID:	1454866  
post #1678 of 1679 Old 05-28-2016, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio81 View Post
Yeah it was full of dust. I did only pay $400 + shipping for the 7550HD which seemed a bargain for this + remote. I already have an HK mic. from another receiver. The outside of this thing is near-mint. I have to look extremely hard to find a blemish on it.

I finally got around to cleaning this unit of dust, replacing OEM fans, and adding two additional fans. This has taken some trial and error on my part, as I initially purchased the wrong fans. I had purchased 5V fans when I needed 12V. I also tried a 92mm Noctua fan as a replacement for the OEM 92mm fan, but it just didn’t move enough air due to it being a low noise fan and the unit would shut down after about 30min.

I replaced the 30mm fan with a cheap fan from amazon. It is somewhat quieter, but not quite as quiet as I’d hoped. I had thought about cutting into the side of the case to expose more of the fan (as shown earlier in this thread), but whether the case is on or off doesn’t seem to matter in regard to fan noise from what I could tell. I was really hoping to fit a 40mm fan in place of it, but not possible without modifying the chassis. I’m going have to cut into the HK’s chassis support to fit a 40mm fan. That will be my next mod.

The front fan was replaced by a 92MM Antec fan, along with a 92mm fan filter. This is the only intake fan on the entire unit, and after all of the dust I recently cleaned from the unit, the addition of a filter seemed warranted. I then added an 80mm exhaust fan on top of the tunnel. The one I used is from AC Infinity on Amazon and fits perfectly snug between the top rails of the tunnel and still leaves clearance for the 7550HD case. It is powered by a USB charger which is plugged into the back of the 120VAC switched power outlet on the HK. I also added a 2nd 80mm fan at the back of the tunnel to assist with moving air out of the unit. I used the Noctua anti vibration mounts (push in) to secure the fan to the back of the tunnel. This fan is also powered by the USB adapter mentioned previously.

In order to get the usb cable from the 80mm fan on top of the tunnel to the usb adapter at the outside rear of the unit, I had to cut and splice the wire, and run it from the inside of the chassis to the outside. There was no way to run the cable out of the back of the unit without drilling a small hole, which I did not want to do. Luckily, there is a raised standoff on the underside of the case, which allows enough room to run a cable underneath the unit and out to the back. I secured the cable tightly to the underside of the chassis.. Not as clean of an install as I would have liked, but you will never see it and it can be removed easily if needed.

The AC Infinity fans are awesome because they include inline 3-speed controllers. I have both set on low. You can see that I cut and spliced the usb cables to remove them of any excess length. I then mounted the fan speed controllers on each side of the rear fan using velcro, so that they can be accessed if needed, but still unobtrusive and out of sight within a cabinet.

The unit with the replacement fans and additional fans runs much quieter than it did before. Even with the USB fans on low makes a significant improvement to cooling the unit and keeping the front temp-controlled fan at minimal noise. I am pretty pleased with the results from efforts to reduce noise, and hopefully I’ll get some years of enjoyment out of this receiver. Even after several hours of use at moderate volume levels, this thing barely gets warm on the outside.

One thing I did notice inside the HK is that there are additional 2-wire header connections for powering other components. It may be possible to power additional fans from there, though I did not check voltages to support this idea.

I’ve attached some pics of the added fan and wiring. I think I cleaned it up nicely. Will post back with pics of my 40mm fan mod once it's completed (if it’s successful).

dam good job!
Thanks for the pics and detailed info...
post #1679 of 1679 Old 05-28-2016, 01:39 AM

I recently finished the modification of all my Sony SS-K series speakers. I have 2 Sony SS-k90ed speakers, A Sony SS-Cnk10ed for center channel and the 4 rear speakers are all Sony SS-k10ed speakers.
These are highly regarded but oddly were not well accepted when they were for sale on Circuit City stores across the nation. I was able to get these at a considerable discount. They sound good as they are unmodified but I took things a bit further and made serious efforts to get them to sound very good. I have these connected to the 7550HD. The recent finish of this very long winded mod ended up with me finally having full 7.2 surround sound.
I can tell you that when going from 5.2 to 7.2 on this unit, its a big deal! The weird thing, yet a very positive thing about this unit is, I can not manually manipulate the EQ. The unit does all this through the calibration setup. Yes I can change the bass/treble after it calibrates, but, Ill be dammed if the sound out of this thing aint the best I ever heard! I want to have that ability to manually adjust everything but wow, HK really knows how to make the sound come out accurately! I really dont need to change anything! Its very surprising..... I get NO fatigue when listening on these speakers and the 7550HD
I can hear faint echos and even the slightest brush strokes and guitar picks when Im listening to high bit rate music and movies. The added 2 rear channels give a much better engulfing effect. The Logic 7 is way better than Prologic IIx. In movies and music. Logic 7 is unbeatable. I actually find that movies sound better on Logic 7 then Dolby Digital. DTS does sound better than Dolby Digital. What I do is, Just keep it on Logic 7 Movie. I toggle between that and Logic 7 Music when Im listening to my favorite jams.... The unit works its magic and I swear this thing is like magic... The day it dies... Ill be very sad...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page