Harman Kardon AVR 7550HD (2008 announcement) - Page 57 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #1681 of 1689 Old 05-15-2017, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio81 View Post
Can anyone point me to the latest firmware for the 7550HD? Having intermittent video dropouts in mine and since I purchased it used, I'm not sure if it's up to date or not. It's not listed here:

http://www.harmankardon.com/software.html

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk
Pm member Mcode. He may be able to help you. Have you tried a processor reset? All settings will be lost from previous setup and will have to start over but it may also fix your problem. Still using mine and hope it last forever. There's none made like it anymore.
Radio81 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1682 of 1689 Old 05-15-2017, 08:02 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked: 493
HK did update the firmware for the 7550HD to HDMI 1.4A & 3D (May-2010).....
At that time the firmware was loaded into available A stock units, but if the user had a 7550HD purchased earlier he had to take the unit into an HK service center and they would load it. I recall the download was rather large and took about 15 minutes to install. I did have the download on a USB stick and checked around to see if I still have it but couldn't find it.. Sorry..

I suggest that U call HK tech support and request it, note they have tech support staff in India and NY/USA. If U get through to the USA side, ask for Joe he heads things up..

Just my $0.02...
post #1683 of 1689 Old 05-15-2017, 10:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post
HK did update the firmware for the 7550HD to HDMI 1.4A & 3D (May-2010).....
At that time the firmware was loaded into available A stock units, but if the user had a 7550HD purchased earlier he had to take the unit into an HK service center and they would load it. I recall the download was rather large and took about 15 minutes to install. I did have the download on a USB stick and checked around to see if I still have it but couldn't find it.. Sorry..

I suggest that U call HK tech support and request it, note they have tech support staff in India and NY/USA. If U get through to the USA side, ask for Joe he heads things up..

Just my $0.02...
Thank you. Can you possibly check your software version? I'm on 4.43

post #1684 of 1689 Old 05-15-2017, 10:09 PM
Advanced Member

And now this:

post #1685 of 1689 Old 05-18-2017, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Well, I got it working…or at least usable for now. I tried the full processor reset, but that didn’t help. I get video and audio for all of about 5-10 seconds when powering the unit on, and then it cuts out to a green screen, leaving me with only audio. But if I switch to a different HDMI input that is not being fed a source (HDMI 4 for example), I can still access the OSD menus just fine. So I know the HDMI ports on the receiver do indeed work. I then went to the HDMI settings for that input and switched it to BYPASS. As soon as I did that, I’m able to receive a clear picture. I lose the OSD volume and surround mode info by doing this though. Not ideal, but workable for now. I will have to wait until tomorrow before I can call tech support and pray they can send me the latest firmware file.

I noticed that I’m getting a lot of static/feedback/white noise through the center channel. When content is playing you can’t really tell, but when you pause a show you can hear it from over 5ft away. Adjusting receiver volume does not seem to affect the noise level. Swapping this receiver with a spare HK AVR 1700 eliminates the noise. So, now to chase that down. I’m hoping it’s the Logitech Harmony Hub that is located near the center speaker that is causing interference.

Has anyone used Integra AVRs? I’ve been eyeballing them lately as they use Dolby Volume, which I really really like with the 7550HD. I’ve tried Denon, Marantz, and Pioneer Elite and found them to be lacking in SQ compared to the 7550HD and even older HK’s that I have owned.

Also, if you guys could check your 7550HD firmware revision, I’d sure appreciate it.
post #1686 of 1689 Old 05-18-2017, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

My software version is 4.43. Mine is HDMI 1.4a from the time I purchased.
Radio81 likes this.
post #1687 of 1689 Old 05-18-2017, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post
My software version is 4.43. Mine is HDMI 1.4a from the time I purchased.
Thanks man. No sense in calling tech support for the latest firmware if I'm already on the latest version.

post #1688 of 1689 Old 05-18-2017, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio81 View Post
Thanks man. No sense in calling tech support for the latest firmware if I'm already on the latest version.

Also concerning the Integras realize they are owned by Onkyo. It's going to be hard to find something that compares to the 7550HD. I found when I bought my 7550 that at the same time I tried the Yamaha Aventage A3000. It was close to the 7550 for features and power capabilities. It was also close in sound. If my 7550 ever goes out my next purchase would be a Yamaha. But I'm a huge Yamaha fan. The 7550 was my first H/K product, before that it was a Onkyo 876 and it worked out very well. However since then Onkyo products have had too many HDMI board problems. Good luck with your 7550 and hope you get it working.
post #1689 of 1689 Old 06-13-2017, 08:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My unit has had loud fan issues since I bought it. So loud that I bought a seven channel amp, which helped as the main fan for cooling does not come on. However the HDMI fan comes on and is loud.

I am wondering if disconnecting both the main and HDMI fans internally and using one of these would make for a much quieter unit.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LVUWOBX?ref=emc_b_5_t

Has anyone tried anything like this. I have seen some of the DIY solutions people have posted on this thread but thought this might be an easy fix without a lot of work.

If this would work I was hoping to remove the seven channel amp for use as a receiver again, instead of a preamp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page